Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• ehennessehenness Member Posts: 92
    Regfootball, if you don't have a manual handy, go to www.qualitycareservice.com, which is Ford's maintenance website. You'll find there a link for 'glovebox manuals' under the 'Maintenance' header on the left side. From there, you can pick the make, model and year and download a PDF manual.

NOTE: I think the manual menu works only with IE; last I tried with Netscape, it won't open the menus properly when you pick year/make/model.
  • vcf1vcf1 Member Posts: 2
    I blew head on 3.8 '94 Sable. Recall expired. I understand Ford made changes in 3.8 in '96 then another in '97. I want to get a junkyard engine to put in instead of paying a grand to fix old. My question is...What engine with the fixes will bolt right in without modifications?
  • vcf1vcf1 Member Posts: 2
    Will a 3.0L V6 bolt up?
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    the Vulcan 3.0L will work in that year Taurus without major changes to the engine bay.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    thanks

i never read the manuals!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is hoping to interview someone who is planning to buy a new vehicle in the next three months. If you are interested, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by January 1, 2003 with your name and daytime contact information.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    The 97 Windstar used the multilayered steel head gaskets. But you'll have to talk to a mechanic who has already done a swap like that to know if it will work. I personally doubt it can be done, and I'm pretty sure you'll end up spending more money too. Close to $1500 for the used engine and labor.
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    Why do some people think it is easier to go on the INTERNET and ask people who may or may not know the answer to a question rather than reach for that little book in the glove compartment?

There was a woman on a SUV board lamenting the stupid way Ford did something in her new Expedition. She was comparing it to the way her former GM car worked. A fellow member of the board had to tell her that if she looked at page 123 of her manual she'd find that she could make her SUV act exactly like she wanted.

Makes you wonder about all the complaints some people have and how much veracity you should give these complaints!
    its called, 'didn't know it could be disabled'.

manuals are all filled with crap.

just like IRS publications, who has time to read them?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Well, I guess the thing is that those who choose to take the time to read things like manuals and IRS publications have the opportunity to take care of their own interests a bit better. These are all personal choices which don't need to be judged by others, they just are what they are.

Let's just move on, okay?

(said the host who is IncomeTaxAPhobic .... :D)
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    Without passing judgment I'd like to say that reading the manual is a very important and worthwhile pursuit, although at times tedious. Don't have to read it all at once. Perhaps a couple of pages every day.

Only a suggestion.
  • riswamiriswami Member Posts: 192
    I know what you mean. But we have people who come on to this board, insist they have an option that doesn't work anymore (low washer fluid), then say the manual is incomplete because it isn't mentioned.

Funny I checked the manual on my other vehicle and I found out I have a low windshield washer light.It was in the manual! The manual maybe incomplete for certain maintenance schedules etc. But they are pretty complete when it comes to options on the vehicle!

It is true about believing what youread on the net.
  • jbbw20jbbw20 Member Posts: 38
    For those who do not know, or care to answer a request, instead of the "go look in the manual" reply, why not save the skin on your fingers and ignore the question. Eventually the question will be answered by an individual who has a little better attitude. LIGHTEN UP BE HAPPY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL
    When I was a kid, I loved reading the owner's manuals of my parent's and relative's cars, and like a kid would read 'em over and over, ;-)
  • driverberndriverbern Member Posts: 23
    I have a 2002 Taurus SEL with 104,000 miles on it (all mine from east coast sales territory). My oil pressure lite came on in Atlanta a few weeks ago but only at idle. The Ford dealer there said the pressure was OK but put on a new "sending unit" to the tune of $209. Two hours away from Atlanta the lite came back on. I had it checked here at home (PA) and they told me it needed a new oil pump. That was another $1800 (had to pull the engine to install). Was I ripped off?
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Not everything is the manual, but since there is an index and table of contents, it's not as if you have to read every line of every page cover to cover to find out.
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    There's a fine line between "ripped off" and "poorly diagnosed". Did you try asking for a refund on the sending unit replacement? It certainly would be tough to deal with a dealer that far away, but with documented ammo from your local dealer you might have enough firepower. What engine do you have? I know hindsight is rude and obnoxious, but you could have put a rebuilt Vulcan in for not too much more money.
  • kizer4kizer4 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2000 Taurus LX that comes standard with just a am/fm radion player. I want to know different options for putting in a cd player, I could care less about a tape deck. I don't want them to install a cd-player with the "filler kit" or whatever they call it, they look weird. Is it possible to get a cd changer, I'm not sure if the factory radio in there is compatible.

Thanks for the help
    You can get a CD changer installed from the dealer that works from the stereo controls if there is a button marked "CD" on the stereo.
    You can also get an adaptor that takes the CD changer input and converts it to an auxiliary audio input so you could plug anything you want (such as an IPOD, XM radio or portable CD player) and have it play through the factory stereo without resorting to an FM antenna or cassette adapter. This will also give you much clearer sound than using those other two methods.
    It is super easy. You don't even have to pull out the radio from the dash because everything is in the trunk underneath the trunk liner in the left rear fender well.
    You plug RCA cables into the CD changer adaptor and have the cables run from the trunk to the front seat for convenience and you simply plug it into the headphone jack of the portable device (MP3 player, XM or whatever). You then plug the device into one of the power ports so you don't have to rely on battery power.
    When you want to hear the device you simply press the "CD" button on the radio either once or twice depending on whether the car had a built in single disc CD and then you will hear the music playing from the portable device.
    This is better than a 6 CD changer that you would have to keep going to the trunk to swap CDs.
    The AUX adaptors are available at multiple retailers online and maybe some local stereo shops.
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    I recently purchased a new Chevy Impala. I have a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee that is having more problems every other day. I always like having two cars, and I was wondering if I should get a Taurus after my Jeep turns into scrap metal. They are very solid and well built. I love their design and they are comfortable. Should I buy a Taurus SEL? The Ford Futura is supposed to be coming out next year or something, so I don't know if I want a Taurus. I love the newTauruses, but I don't like having cars that are going to be removed from the market the next year. What should I do?
  • snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    Taurus is a good buy, I recommend Duratec engine. I have Vulcan, I feel it lacks power time to time. But Vulcan is more reliable than Duratec. And buy used...
  • wep68wep68 Member Posts: 18
    I bought a 2002 SES New in March03. Here are my comments after about 9 months

-Good value: paid $15,370 for new 2002 with leather, 24V, ABS, Side Air Bag, power pedals- everything but 6 disc CD, moonroof, and auto climate control. A comparable camry would likely have run me 23K or so.
    - Duratec - plenty o' power , especially on the hwy where 60 to 80 happens real fast
    - Bucket Drivers seat with manual lumbar is comfortable for me, and its a big seat
    - Tons of headroom
    - adjustable pedals lets U change the angle of your leg on a long drive, lets wife sit farther from airbag
    - firm ride. While bumps can register, the car always feels in control. Such a contrast to a Buick I rented recently

Dislikes -
    -dashboard reflects glare
    -low end interior materials and switchgear but what do ya want for 15.4K
    -no headrestraints on back seat
    depreciation -- amazing how little a one can get for a 3yr old taurus. If I have to sell before 5 years, a lot of my cost advantage will be lost. I plan to hold the car into its dotage tho. Still I lose some flexibility here
    - large turning circle. A minor item
    - the heavily sloped windshield tends to make one feel like the car has less headroom than it actually does
    - the front passenger seat could go back farther, it tend to feel a bit more cramped than it should (I am 6'4") There must be a reason for this, as there is plenty of space behind the seat
    - short range. I am getting 19-22mpg and with the 18 gallon tank, my fillups come too often. My 5sp '94 camrywith a 18.5 gallon tank spoiled me. I got 28-29mpg and would usually go 430miles between fill ups.

Agree/disagee? Please add your comments.
    If you buy one, you'll be impressed by how that car put together.I mean no ding, ping, squeaks, no wind noise, very solid.
    The low resale is more to do with the "law of supply/demand", rather than the car itself.

Just drive it, and wait 5 years before worrying about trade in.
    Rear headrests would be good, it wouldn't hurt if the seats went back a couple more inches for tall drivers, the resale value is horrific.
    The rest is what you can expect for the price. I don't see better interior materials in similarly-priced competing vehicles, so it's fine in that area.

Haven't noticed glare from the dash or a problem with the windshield.
    Mileage and turning circle could be better, but are not out of line with competing cars.
    Side curtain airbags would be a nice feature, but it is more likely to into the Taurus replacement in a few years.
  • upsetter1upsetter1 Member Posts: 205
    setze, Taurus will be in market a few more years, mostly for fleet sales. While Futura is the new design - Taurus is proven and reliable, all bugs worked out.

24 valve Duratec engine is coupled with better and more reliable transmission.

Interior materials, at least in my Premium Sable, are pretty good. Workmanship is not up to Japanese, right, but feels and looks good nevertheless. But there ARE squeaks on rough road.

Didn't notice glare or other problems with dashboard. At night integrated control panel with climate control looks beautiful. I like sloped windshield as more dramatic. And there are things like compass and auto dimming mirror that have proven to be very useful.

You may consider Sable too. It has the highest initial quality among midsize sedans from JDPower and is recomended as the best buy. And I can confirm that, I have about 25K mile without any problems or complaints except of before mentioned squeak somewhere in dash.

I can advice you to look for good deals on new 2003 Taurus/Sable. Dealers are desperate with previous year models, so you can buy a new car for the price or used one. One year old used ones with warranty are very cheap if you can live with previously owned car. But most likely it will be from rent or fleet.
    Edmunds' comparison of 10 family sedans didn't include Sable or Taurus. How come guys? It would've been interesting to see Taurus or Sable competing head to head with those 10 hitters.

I enjoyed reading it though. One caveat; How come you don't mention bumper strength when you talk about NHTSA and IIHS evaluations of these cars?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    danielj6 - if you want the editors to see your comments, go to the Help link at the bottom of the page to provide your feedback. :)
  • colectorvettecolectorvette Member Posts: 2
    Lo all,

The rear brake pads on my 97 Sable are shot at 65k miles. Oddly, my fronts are fine and have rust on the rotors like they're not even being used. I know this is not correct but how do I fix it (after I replace the rear pads and rotors)?

Thanks!
  • colectorvettecolectorvette Member Posts: 2
    Lo all,

The factory CD Changer (97 Sable) in the trunk started an intermittent problem...work then not, work then not. Now, finally, the head unit shows "NO CD" (or something else indicating it's not working) when I try and select a CD and this has been showing consistently now so it's no longer intermittent. Is is shot or are there some troubleshooting things to check before I get a new one? If I need a new one, any recommendations?

Thanks all!
  • kbarrykbarry Member Posts: 9
    I bought the '03 SEL Deluxe last March and have racked up about 28K so far in the first 9 months. Although I have had no mechanical malfunctions, I am a bit annoyed with the shuddering brakes, rattling sunroof, door panel and dash and weird shifting transmission. Anyone else experiencing these annoyances? I know the tranny's and brake rotors were bad in the past, but are they still bad? Other than that, it runs good and is comfortable.
  • zslickzslick Member Posts: 11
    I bought an 03 SEL Premium in October with the Duratec engine. I have about 4K miles and so far no problems. When you say weird shifting transmission, are you referring to the way it forces the 1-2 upshift early unless you nail it? I get that. I also experienced it on several other cars I test drove before choosing this one. I did experience one peculiarity for which I took it back to the dealer: a prominent tapping noise from the engine when it's warmed up. The service writer told me that there is a technical service bulletin on that for 03s with the Duratec and mine was the third he had seen like that. According to the bulletin, the cause is camshaft bolts that were not torqued properly. They re torqued the bolts on mine and it's been fine since. If you notice tapping, get it back to the dealer while it's still under warranty, ASAP!
  • chicagoskychicagosky Member Posts: 36
    Hi to All and Happy New Year:

My '02 SES is still very much impressing me after purchasing it last summer. However, recurring paint quality and window issues leave me wondering if any of you are experiencing the same. The dealership has been great and has stood behind the car so far. Tomorrow I'm returning to the dealership for the window issue, and Tuesday, I'm returning to the dealership for more repaint.

My front two windows, when rolled up, make noises when they're done rolling-- like they're not aligned properly. However, no leakage occurs. It just seems that the windows don't know how to stop rolling. The driver's window had this problem before, and the dealership promptly fixed it. But it bothers me that it is recurring, and I know it's not "normal" persay, because my back windows don't do it.

The paint quality issue is mostly with peeling sealant, and also with the side molding on the two driver's side doors-- the paint is coming off of it. I only handwash my car, and I handdry it with a chamois every time too, so I don't think this could be the cause.

Is anybody else experiencing these problems or does anybody have any ideas/thoughts about these problems?

Thanks.
  • dewcandodewcando Member Posts: 3
    my mom has a '95 Sable, and every year the same problem happens. The blower motor, for the heating system stops working, and usually when it gets really cold. Everytime they replace the part called a heater control, part # F4DZ-19980A. I've test all the fuses, and links, and found to have voltage on all of them. Even the switch that controls defrost, vent, A/C etc has voltage on, however there is no voltage present at the fan speed switch. So in what location is this EATC heater control module?
  • ehennessehenness Member Posts: 92
    Check the cable at the CD changer end. I have the factory unit and cable, but I bought and installed them myself. I think I had stretched the cable too much or something, and after a year or so it would cut out the player (the same way yours does) and report NO CD. For a while, it would come back if I unplugged the CD player end (radio off, ignition off or on) and tried again. I finally replaced the cable and all's fine now.

If you need one, you can get a cable for around $40 at www.radiosandmore.com, who sell OEM radio equipment. That's quite a bit cheaper than the dealer. I have no connection other than being a satisfied customer.

(If you check the cable, the other end goes to the Rear Control Unit of the radio, which is bolted to the fenderwell on the left. Pull back the trunk carpet at the fender, and you will see it.)
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    I've been away from my internet access for nearly three weeks, so I thought I would report in on my recent highway mileage. After Christmas, we took a 1200+ mile round trip-three adults and a fairly full but not stuffed trunk. Almost 100% freeway at speeds nearly continously at 70-73 mph. 2000 Taurus SES Duratec cruised effortlessly and returned mileage of just a hair under 29 mpg on one tankful, and on another tank just a hair under 30 mpg. I have not yet checked the overall trip mileage, but have the data to do so, just haven't done it yet. This trip was under nearly ideal winter weather driving conditions with little wind, no snow or rain, fairly level terrain, light traffic, and temps in the 40s-50s. Very pleased with the mileage and smooth but taught ride and quiet highway performance.
    chicagosky,

My wife's 2001 SEL has the same front window problem as you describe. My 89 Taurus wagon did the exact same thing!

My dealer is great and when I reported the problem to him he said that they'd probably just have to adjust the window stops. Problem...no stops. So he went to order a repair set from Ford. Problem?...Ford doesn't make them for the Taurus. They had a zone guy in to look at it and he had no solution either. Windows don't rattle or make any other kind of noise but just keep on going after they are closed! When I told my service manager that my 89 did the same thing he said that Ford was probably using the same window guts on her 2001 that they used on my 89!

What ever you do, DO NOT LET THEM LUBE THE WINDOW MECHANISM. My guys tried this and the result is that after I put a clean window up and down 3 or 4 times I end up with roller streaks on the glass!
  • ndrosendrose Member Posts: 1
    We purchased replacement bulbs for our 2002 Sable but we can't figure out how to replace them. There is no obvious approach. Any help would be appreciated.
    Mary
  • driverberndriverbern Member Posts: 23
    Since my oil pump was replaced all seems to be fine. Next week I'll put on approx. 1500 miles and that should be a good test but so far so good.
  • ssartorissartori Member Posts: 15
    Well Folks, it's been over a year since Mercury / Ford ESP replaced my engine in my 99 Sable and all is well. Car is running like a champ (knock on wood). No Oil leaks. Surprised that I still have to run 93 octane in the durotech engine. I live and drive on some steep hills and I always got an engine ping from day one even with the original engine. Thought with the new engine it would of corrected that issue. I tried running 87 & 89 octane in the first few fill ups of the new engine and it wasn't long (with in the fist couple weeks I had the knocks... Oh well. It runs great on 93... Just wanted to let people know.. So many times you read these posts and wonder if all these cars are lemons, instead you only hear from people when they have bad news never good..

Take care

Steve
    You need to implement two things. Use colder copper spark plugs (autolite 764 - If I am correct about model number...) and get your thermostat changed to 180 degree one. Stock is 195 degree and pinging is caused by high combustion chamber temperature. It is very rare that Duratec pings. THis is something that Vulcan engine does but anyway...

One thing that I wonder I thought Duratec engine came with knock sensor. If it is your car should not ping. I know that vulcans don't come with knock sensor.
    I don't quite understand what you guys mean by the window still making a rolling noise after it is all the way up. What kind of noise do you hear, is it the normal noise the power window motors make when they are opening or closing the windows, or some other noise? If it is the motors continuing to try to drive the windows further closed after they already are closed, woundn't the motors overheat or pop a fuse or circuit breaker if they are still trying to drive the window further closed? There has to be some switch or some sensor not working properly for that malfunction to happen, I would think.
  • sodsmansodsman Member Posts: 7
    I've had a 97 contour (24 valve 5-speed) since 97' and put 165,000 trouble free miles (Amen to maintenance!). I recently looked at the Verona EX and was very impressed(acceleration issue way overblown - with traffic you CAN'T get 0-60 under 10 sec. anyway!).
                 Almost bought one, until on a whim I stopped at the local Ford dealer. He had in an Former Exec Taurus (2003 SES Deluxe) 17K miles with duratec, leather, moon roof, spoiler, mach stereo for 13,750. Car drove perfect, great ride, attractive exterior, nice pick-up and snarl, buttery tranny and comfy seating. Not sure how anyone could bash this car, it is great! I test drove a lot of mid-size cars and was impressed with most of them (exception - Impala) and the import buying crowd is missing the boat. For the price you cant come close to getting a comparably equipped import. This is a mature design and had all the kinks worked out. Because it is not the newest design, doesn't make it bad, only a very smart buy!
    The noise is the actual window pushing into the top of the rail. I guess all Tauri do not do this, but know for a fact that my 89 wagon, my father in laws 94 and my wife's 2001 all do the same thing.
  • chicagoskychicagosky Member Posts: 36
    I would describe the noise just as fdthird does. It doesn't seem right-- it seems like there should be some kind of built-in stop mechanism. Plus, my back windows don't do it. I've taken it in before for the driver's window, and they fixed it but the remedy was only temporary, as that's what it's currently in for.

Badgerfan, could you possibly check your front windows next time you're in your car and let us know if they do the same? It's an odd problem. Rather small in the grand scheme of things, but something I'd like permanently fixed in my remaining 9K of warranty. If your windows do it, they will make all kinds of creaking noises even once they're all the way up.
  • upsetter1upsetter1 Member Posts: 205
    "a prominent tapping noise from the engine when it's warmed up. The service writer told me that there is a technical service bulletin on that for 03s with the Duratec and mine was the third he had seen like that. According to the bulletin, the cause is camshaft bolts that were not torqued properly."

zslick, did you mean you had heard this noise while driving in cabin, or you hear it outside of car when it is idling ?

Regarding pinging, there is no pinging on Duratec on regular.
    I have not noticed any unusual noises in my power windows. Once the window is closed, the motor stops and there is no noise, even if I hold the power window switch down. Also, I have no creaking noises from the windows. In fact the car is completely creak, squeak and rattle free, now at about 34K miles and over three years of ownership.

Sounds like there is something misadjusted or broken in your power window mechanism. I would think if it shows up consistently every time you close your window, one would hope your dealer service and Ford should be able to diagnose the problem.
  • eng6ineeng6ine Member Posts: 29
    I get the same sound from my windows too. It is louder in the winter. It never really bothered me, only my wife. I believe the noise is the window seating itself into the felt/rubber gasket. And the secondary sound after you let go of the window switch is the window backing off slightly. I do not think it is anything to worry about.
This discussion has been closed.