Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• chicagoskychicagosky Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for your replies to my postings. I received my car back from the dealership and they fixed the window issue, though at the cashier they were unable to tell me what they did (the mechanic was out sick today so I couldn't ask him).

They did a nice job on the paint as well. I'm very pleased with the dealership in general.

Thanks again for all of your help.
  • lsluvrlsluvr Member Posts: 9
    I've had 4 Sable's, '86, '88, '91 and a '96. The front windows did that on ALL of them. I don't know what it is, but the windows never failed. Mileage was, respectively, 50K, 125K, 175K and 115K.
  • zslickzslick Member Posts: 11
    "zslick, did you mean you had heard this noise while driving in cabin, or you hear it outside of car when it is idling ?"

I heard this noise when the car was idling when I was inside or out of the cabin. It sounded somewhat like a valve tap. It was definitely not pinging.
  • upsetter1upsetter1 Member Posts: 205
    In my car ('02 Sable with Duratec), there is some slight tapping at idle, but you can hear it only being outside of car. I thought it to be the normal operation for the engine with chain. I have 100,000 miles warranty anyway, but still will ask dealer next oil change is it normal or not.

Thank you for your warning, btw I didn't find bulletin referring to this problem in Endmuds.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Check this link on our host site: Maintenance Schedules, Recalls, and Technical Service Bulletins. If you can't find any information there, you can ask our friends 0patience and alcan in the Maintenance & Repair discussion at this link: Technical Service Bulletins. They might be kind enough to research it for you.
  • av10sguyav10sguy Member Posts: 5
    Gosh i only thought that it was my tauri that did that, i have a 2000 Tauri with 63K and it does the exact same thing, once the window is up, you will hear a creek sound and if you look at the window it actually moves up and then back down, Hey have any of you other taurus owners noticed a drop in your gas millage? I do all city driving for the most part and i only get 16 MPG, and i am not punching it, i have the reg engine, 3.0L. Anyone else having MPG problems??
    Thanks for your postings re: the windows issue. My dealership did fix my windows, though I don't know how and was unable to ask the mechanic. However it seems that the problem is fixable. I doubt that I'd actually pay to fix something like that as it didn't affect function, but it was under warranty so I decided I might as well try to get it fixed. Next time I'm in the dealership I'll ask what the mechanic did and if I find out I'll post it.
  • snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    If I were you I would switch to synt. oil and better oil filter asap. The thing you hear is valve noise, the valves are not getting lubricated well, could be caused by your filter, cheap paper drain back valve (if I am not mistaken).
    Use only Motorcraft ot mobil1 (stay away from Fram and other elcheapo filters), nothing else and semi or full synt. oil. I believe motor craft has two version (everything is same but origin of the product is different). Make sure is made in USA.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    If you are driving 100% city under congested conditions and are short trips and you are in a very cold climate, it might be possible to get mileage that low. These three conditions combined could result in poor mileage.

I just computed overall my mileage on my December round trip (2000 Duratech Taurus) which was about 95% highway driving, under excellent winter conditions (40-50 degree F temps running most of the time 70-75 mph on uncongested mostly rural freeways) My overall mileage in 1454 miles of driving was 28.6 mpg and I had a best leg of 30.1 mpg. Worst leg of the trip, which had the city driving in it was 25 mpg.

In my normal commute to work, I get usually 19-22 mpg.
    Actually dealer takes care of oil changes. So he puts Motorcraft everything. Recomended oil is something synthetic mixture, what actually is more mineral than synthetic. But I doubt that oil is related to the issue, anyway it has warranty up to 100,000 miles so I let the dealer to decide is it an issue or not. After 100,000 it is unlikely I still drive this car, 5 years is more than enough to drive the same car (but never say never LOL).

I have the car with Vulcan too and it sounds harsh, period. Duratec is rather wispering in comparision. But Vulcan works whatever, seems kind of undestructible.
    My boyfriend has noticed a vibration in my '02 SES which felt like it was coming from the front tires. He jacked the car up and looked at each tire and neither is loose. It happens when driving at steady speeds (not when braking, etc.). Anybody have any ideas/similar experiences?
    rotate your tires to see vibration remains. Seems like rims, tires or balance issue.
  • dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    Some guy on another (inappropriate) forum was ranting about the "Tortoise" -- citing its purported lack of power, lack of refinement, poor construction, and poor repair record.

I am attracted to Taurus for an only-two-day-a-week commuter second car for me because of its highest safety rating in IIHS crash tests and also because I can get a lightly-used one for about $5000 less than a similar Accord.

Would you buy another Taurus? A used one?
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    2002+ models have had good quality ratings, and used ones are as cheap as some compact cars.
    I responded to that off topic rant and said the guy didn't know what he was talking about.

Taurus is a great value, solidly built, good reliability, and very underrated in my opinion. Interior isn't flashy but is solid and everything works well. Good space in front and rear. Good trunk space. Not much to not like.

Equipped with Vulcan V-6 it is adequate for most peoples needs.

Equipped with Duratech it accelerates very well.

Real world mileage with either engine is about 19-23 city and 28-30 highway.

You can get a base model new for about $14-$15K or less, and a well equipped one for less than $20K.

I am on my second Taurus. Kept first, 1990 Taurus for ten years, bought another in 2000.
    My experience with both has been excellent.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    IMO, a used Taurus, specifically one certified under Fords program, is a very solid buy. I dont find the new ones very competitive with the better offerings in the mid-size class, but a 2001 or so Taurus with a moderate amount of miles and Duratec engine can sticker in the $9000-$10,000 range. Its a competent car, not spectacular, or having any distinct comparative advantages, but by buying used, you avoid the biggest downside of the Taurus- insane initial depreciation. By going Ford certified, you also get a strong warranty to back a good product, which should set your mind at ease.

~alpha
    Exactly what I was thinking.... :-)
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    For what it is worth, all people ( that I know ) who had owned a Ford Taurus now drive another brand. RELIABILITY was the stated reason to switch.
         Toyota Camry was the most popular brand to replace the Ford Taurus. Honda Odyssey was next with Nissan Altima a distant 3rd choice.
         I don't know any former Ford Taurus owner who now drives a Taurus.
         Does the phrase "Ya gets what ya pay for" ring a bell?
    Well, I know one and that is me! See my previous post.
    "Toyota Camry was the most popular brand to replace the Ford Taurus. Honda Odyssey was next with Nissan Altima a distant 3rd choice."

What source is this from?

Sure the 3.8L cars had problems, but not all Tauruses are lemons. And again, 2002 and 2003 Tauruses were rated "recommended" by Consumer Reports.
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    According to CR, Taurus has since its inception achieved an "Average Reliability". Some years the car attained an "Below Average reliability" and they could not recommend it. CR always said that the Taurus was a good car. Sable has been consistently "Average Reliability".

My Sable's most salient features are safety features, solidity, engine power, comfort and cargo hauling capacity. I don't really know how to define refinement.

I wouldn't call it reliable, though. I don't know anyone who ever owned a Taurus or Sable and didn't have the car repaired several times over the years. I'm not talking scheduled maintenance.
    Those who sold their cars didn't buy the same brand. My car is not a lemon at all, but build quality is lacking in miss aligned pieces inside and out.
    Snowman, first of all, an overdue thanks for your recommendations on stuff to check with my tires. I'm going to finally get to the dealership on Friday.

Re: Taurus repeat buying. One of my influences in buying my 2002 SES was that I grew up with an '89 Taurus. To be sure, the car was not infallible, but it lasted us well through family growth and on many roadtrips as well as daily commuting around the Chicago area. We parted with it around 100K, due to the infamous Taurus transmission issues, but my mom parted with it with no regrets of having purchased it.

I've been extremely happy with my used 2002 SES purchase so far (six months so far, so not that long, but still). Granted, I'm coming to the Taurus from an economy subcompact ('95 Saturn SL1), but I did my research, and there was nothing used that I could buy that was better, that would fit into my budget and criteria. I find my car comfortable, fast (I only have Vulcan and am fine with that), reliable so far, and in some ways downright luxurious compared to the Saturn, though that was a good car. In a heartbeat, I would do it all over again, though I can't say that I'd buy a new Taurus because of depreciation and all. All's been well so far (knock on wood). I guess you could say, in answer to your question, dako_tian, that I would definitely buy another Taurus, but it would probably have to be a used one so that I wouldn't take the depreciation hit.
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    How can I say this nicely...your post is pure bunk! More Taurus bashing from the typical accorcamryanyJapanesecar lovers out there!

We own a great 2001 SEL that we love. I owned a 1989 wagon before (oops..forgot, I wasn't supposed to buy another, sorry) and that 89 Taurus was such a garbage car that we've bought 4 more Ford products since then! That 89 is still going strong being owned by a person I work with...it was such garbage that he too bought a new Ford recently. Boy, I must really hang around with some dumb people!

My Mom owns a 2000 Camry LE and its a nice car, but to me it is a cheap tin can compared to our Taurus. I would compare it to my son's Focus before I'd say its the equal of the Taurus. Personally, I think the Camry is over rated and what it really is is a good toaster...you know an appliance but instead of making toast it gets you from point A to Point B.

I know I'm very dumb and obviously stupid in the cars I have chosen to buy but hey, someone has to be a dope, right? At least I hang around with the Taurus people and don;t go on the Toyota boards and tell people that their cars are junk...and believe me, one of the worst cars I have ever had was a Toyota...and it was so bad I ran back to Ford!
    Dako is thinking of a Taurus for 2nd car. Why not present him with the facts that I know?
         Reason for all the people to switch? For most, it was because the transmission failed. One friend had owned 2 Taurus and had NO problems but decided to try Camry. Liked the Camry so well she got another Camry when the 1st one was a couple of years old.
         The friend who got the Nissan Altima had her 2nd Taurus after the transmission went out on the first Taurus. After the last Taurus transmission went out, she decided to try the Altima.
         I do not question the fact that many Taurus have provided the owners with no problems. My friends just happen to be the unfortunate ones.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    for how you described how you will use the car, the Taurus would absolutley be a good choice.

reg

99 Taurus SHO
    89 Taurus SHO
    "My Mom owns a 2000 Camry LE and its a nice car, but to me it is a cheap tin can compared to our Taurus."

fdthird:
    Your comment brings back memories of my 91 Camry. The body seemed flimsy. It dented and scratched very easily. It weathered badly too. My Sable seems sturdier, although it isn't fair to compare early 90's technology with 2000.

I have to agree with you that Toyota quality is over rated. However, it has positioned itself as the #2 automaker in the world pushing Ford to 3rd. It's got to be a reason for it.
    Hmmn. I dont know about that. In fact, here's an article that disproves it.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-01-15-quality_x.htm

Seems like, despite the already high reputation for quality, Toyotas offer even greater quality that is perceived. Similarly, Mercury gets a bum rap. However, the perception of Ford's quality seems to be directly aligned with its actual quality. The Koreans seem to be nowhere near as close as they are believed to be, unfortunately.

~alpha
    All I know is that:

1 - The doors on my Mom's 2000 Camry LE seem very flimsy. They sound hollow like they have very little substance.

2 - The materials used on the interior (plastics, fabrics) look exceedingly cheap - I'm not saying that they won't wear like iron, but they look like they are from the 80s!

3 - Little things like (A)her car has a typical cheap car interior light with a three position switch on the fixture. (B) The remote control has no position to open the trunk...you need to use the key! (C) The car has auto headlights but they take about 40 seconds to come on! (D)No auto door lock option. (E) No tether on the gas cap. (F)Cheap plastic wheel covers on a mid range car.

4 - Typical Toyota things things that drive me crazy - you need to unlock the doors before you can open the front doors and the weird power window switches.

Look, I'm not saying its not a good car just not my cup of tea!
    Actually Sable has highest JDPowers initial quality rating in its class. I think the problem with Mercury is that it doesn't have cool cars. The only one - Cougar was discontinued. Next Cougar will probably be based on Mustang and I hope it will be refined one with independent rear suspension, DOHC engine and so on.

I have two Tauruses. One is '94 Taurus and second one is '02 Sable. I know people who had older generation Taurus and bought newer generation because car proved to be reliable and comfortable. If you ask me am I going to buy Taurus or Sable again I will answer - not. Because I want something different next time. Altima, Camry or Accord are not in my list of course. May be Futura or its Mercury cousin if it will be made right, may be Lincoln or Maxima or G35, 300C, I don't know yet, but I want to have a better car. It is reasonable, people want changes, thats why cars has to be updated every 4 year.

I agree that previous gen Camry wasn't spectacular. It is basically 1992 design compared to more modern '96 Taurus. New Camry is a very good car but I don't like isolated feel and suspension is too soft for me. Instrument panel reminds me Buick, the whole car is styled like Buick.
    Toyota, has, with the new Camry, addressed some of the issues you speak of. I HATE the automatic locking doors (although, those are defeatable), and the fact that you can open the front doors without unlocking them (totally lazy American style). For your mom's Camry, the auto on headlights operate in relation to the parking brake, however, and its a 15 second delay once the p-brake is released (auto-on is gone from the new Camry in LE & SE guise though). Keyless now provides a trunk release button - I agree with you- what an insanely dumb oversight. You might want to get used to those "weird" power window switches- they've been deemed "safer" by Consumer Reports and NHTSA, and a lot of auto mfrs. are moving toward this type.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I completely respect it. However, you seem to be judging the car on the last generation. Toyotas arent like Fords- they get redesigned. You may want to check a new one. Upsetter- the LE/XLE suspension is on the soft side, but its dyanmic handling capabilities are certainly on par with the Taurus', and the SE will out handle it.

You know what really REALLY bothers me about the Taurus, and its the first think I always thought of when I would drive my ex's Duratec Sable- why no rear head restraints? Its very uncomfortable to sit back there without them, and theres the safety issue as well.

~alpha
    Seems like I am little late to core discussion...
    I am in the market for a replacement of our second car. There are 2 candidates: Ford Taurus Wagon and Ford Escape. What I drive: 2K SES Taurus.
    I had driven 91-99 Accord, 94 Civic, 94 Corolla, 97 Mazda 626, bunch of rental Camries...

I would never give up my Taurus, eh! may be for new Ford 500...

Lets see what is going on with so called "superior" makes and models...

CRV - Engine fire (fresh discussion going on)
    Odyssey/V6 Accords - Transmission problems that Honda never admits. Squeaks and other built qulity issues...
    Camry - Has Toyota admitted the engine sludge problem yet?
    Nissan - Sorry, I don't even follow their discussions
    Well I can pull bunch of problems for bunch of other makes and models.
    Where do Taurus/Sable, Camry, Accord, Altima, Impala, Intrepid, etc. stand in the overall reliability and resale value?
         Edmunds and CR don't rate the 2002 Grand Caravan very high but my son loves his. My 1970 Dodge van was the worst vehicle I have ever owned. Many friends got rid of Taurus when the transmissions failed and they claim their Taurus were the worst vehicles they ever owned.
         Although my Ford F-150 is rock solid (sorry to steal Chevy's thunder)I wouldn't buy a Taurus or Sable. The risk is too high.
    the 96 taurus had tranny issues and they quickly worked to improve and fixed the issue.

and hopefully some learned that flushing your tranny and maintenance is necessary to prolonging your tranny life.

facts

the taurus is dated
    and not at the top of class in refinement
    depreciates rapidly

but

its reliable and has a well established track record
    inexpensive to buy and operate
    is one of the roomiest mid sizers
    it not cheese like GM
    OHC is available for cheap
    SAFETY
    and, the Taurus is a good looking (if familiar) car. Ford did a tremendous job fixing the 96-99 botches. Even if I think my 99 SHO looks quite good with the deeper fascia and side extensions. The base 96-99 cars were not good.

as a number 2 car in the family as the previous poster suggested, its a great alternative. Why buy a Sonata? or something like that.

If its as a primary car and you want a higher level of refinement you might want to pay more but you don't have to be ashamed if you don't and get the Taurus. Its inexpensive but doesn't stoop to cheesemobile status. You can show up at a ritzy function in a Taurus and not look out of place at least.

Personally, to me I think Ford should consider another noticeable refreshening, interior redo and bump up the hp on the Duratec to about 220 and keep this thing in production even when the 500 and Futura hit market, even if only as a fleet car.
    A very good assessment, overall. However, I think the Taurus has fallen behind the times in terms of safety. Yes, it continues with a "Good" from IIHS offset and very impressive frontal results from NHTSA. BUT, you can't get the side curtains (coupled also with side chest airbags in the better models) that are so quickly becoming a focal point in the midsize family sedan saftey issues. Additionally, theres no stability control option, and no rear head restraints is a strange omission, one that I would think easy (and inexpensive) to rectify.

Otherwise, for precisely the reasons you speak of, I'd heartily recommend a two or three year old certified used Taurus. I would not, however, endorse a new one over a competiting, and similarly priced, Malibu.

~alpha
    And I must say that, having spent considerable time in the Odyssey topics from early 2000 until fading away in 2002 (recently checking in for old times sake), the discussion here is amazingly civilized. You should all be very proud of yourselves, I think.

As you all have covered well, the Taurus suits my needs well. It will be a only-two-day-per-week commute vehicle, otherwise used only sparingly for those "I vant to be left alone" jaunts to the home improvement center. I am not nearly as interested in appearance as I am in safety.

The Accord would satisfy both, but because it does so much better in maintaining its value, it will cost me about $15,000 for a 2001-3 with at least air conditioning (this is North Texas, but Texas nonetheless). (Interestingly, I could probably buy a sufficiently-equipped brand new Accord for around $16,500! Go figure....) I can get a suitable Taurus for nearer $10,000. Frankly, having just started on a $29,000 loan for the Yukon XL SLE we bought in November, I can use the relief that the lower amount would bring in car payments.

Even considering the further depreciation, I'm guessing that anything over three years that I keep the car will amount to almost the same total dollars lost in value -- especially when you figure in the extra interest I'd be paying on the larger amount borrowed. Yep, I'll double-check the budget once taxes are calculated, but we'll probably be scouring the lots soon for the best Certified used Taurus deal at or below $10,000 that we can find.

For me, it comes down to what fits my budget that will still give me the best odds, or nearly so, of surviving should I become involved in one of those daily traffic-snarling incidents on the Dallas area toll and freeways.

Thanks again for the volume of replies and most especially for their general civil tone, well-considered thoughts, and detailed nature. You are as fine a group of web-denizens as I've ever had the pleasure to share a few bytes with! :-)
    Well, you sparked a lot of response in a board that was very quiet-though I am sure it is quiet mostly because Taurus is currently not the new kid on the block with a recent redesign, and most of us Taurus/Sable don't need a lot of stroking to assure ourselves what a good car we have. We know it already. You will also notice the Taurus maintenance board is quite quiet too, which is a good thing-it likely means Taurus has no glaring maintenance issues that lots of upset owners would be posting about.

As far as deficiencies in Taurus such as rear headrests and airbags for every part of your body, true much of the competition has added these if not standard, as options. This still does not take away from the fact that Taurus is a solid buy at very reasonable prices new or used.

Ford is introducing 500 this year and Futura perhaps by the end of the year or early next and I am sure we will see most of these improvements available on these new cars, along with other new features such as six speed automatics, a wheel drive and CV transmissions, which neither Toyota, Honda or all the rest have yet adopted on their bread and butter sedans.
    I agree with badgerfan, I am also member of different Taurus forum. I hardly seee any problem with Generation-4 Taurus.

500 looks very attractive though...
    Regarding tapping noise we were talking in prev posts. I had an oil change and asked dealer to diagnose the noise. They told me that there is no tech bulletin for this car and noise rather comes kind of from injectors.
    "and similarly priced, Malibu."

NOT. let's compare an actual out the door 19 thousand dollar Malibu and Taurus.

the Taurus will have leather and sunroof (and dual power seats?). Duratec. ABS. Autolamp.

Bu at 19k won't even have the faux leather they are trying to pass off as real, and it won't have the sunroof.

Plus, the Malibu is an ugly car, plain and simple. Why pay more for such uglyness? Its not like the Malibu has stability control either.....

remote start? I can have that put in at the dealer or auto store for 100 bucks.

Wait for the bloodshed of incentives on the bu before you can say its price competitive.

safety equipment? that can be added easily if they chose to do so. The basic structure of the steel unibody and safety cage is stout and safe. If Ford added side curtains and stability control it would be welcome and then it would be almost tanklike!
    Just a few thoughts here: CR bases its assessments of quality on their yearly questioner mailed to subscribers. I always found this questioner lacking and limited in scope. I don't find their reviews all that compelling either. That's another issue though.

Toyota has built quality and this sold lots of cars. It redesigned their cars continuing with the manufacturer's emphasis on logic, ergonomics excellence and dependability. Looks are something subjective, so I'll leave it out of the conversation.

Ford couldn't or didn't want to do the same. Instead, it put its efforts on standard features, room and safety. These 3 things made me drive my Camry at least twice into Ford dealers to check their cars and possibly trade. Didn't do it basically but not exclusively on Ford's dubious reliability ratings, which worried me.
    Dealers'poor treatment was also part of the equation.

Finally, the third time I bought Sable. Traded not a Camry but a different Japanese vehicle. After I test drove the S.W. I could feel its sturdiness, comfort, power and vault like strength.

If Ford improved reliability I wouldn't be thinking of buying something other than Taurus or Sable now. I read that you guys claim your cars to be reliable. My car with less than 30000 miles needs a power steering pump replacement. It's not a new transmission or engine but it's going to run me $$$$$$. It's out of warranty. This could also happen to a Camry or Accord, but what are the odds? These same odds are the reason Toyota surpassed Ford, became 2nd and watch out GM! It's not perceived quality, is real quality.

Just let me say that I don't want to buy Camry and I'm not advertising Toyota or attacking Ford. A car is the second most expensive purchase one makes. I'll never buy a 2 or 3 year certified Taurus with low mileage. It'd be nice if Ford put money into improving what it has instead of making new.
    A radio commercial aired advertising 2003 Tauruses/Taurii, with less than 20K miles, for under $10,000. Mainly out of curiosity, and because it was at my dealership, I checked it out. It was (as far in the process as I got, anyway, which purposely on my behalf wasn't at all far) legit, and surprisingly, it was SESs and not LXs or SEs. I guess these would be relatively high mileage vehicles, so I thought that might be the reason they're surprisingly low in price. Any other thoughts on why the surprisingly low price?

The dealership got them at auction, and they are just the basic SESs (not the SES Sports), and that's the reason they gave for the sale...but still, a comparable SES Sport they listed at around $17,000. I know that's not what someone would actually pay, but the price difference was just interesting.

This may also serve as a bargaining tool for anybody out there trying to buy an '03 SE or SES.

Again out of curiosity, does anybody who frequents this board have the fully equipped SEL, with leather, dual power seats, the Duratec, the wood package, etc.? That must be one heck of a car. I always think my SES is fairly luxurious, and then I remember that there is the SEL.
    I myself do not care about leather, power passenger seats, wood, sunroof, or automatic climate control, but I don't think I could go back to the Vulcan after having the Duratech. That's why I bought an SES Duratech. I got the performance without the additional approximate $2k cost of a fullly loaded SEL.
    We have a 2001 SEL with all the aforementioned but the wood trim that wasn't available in 2001. It is a wonderful car that others often think is a Lincoln till I tell em, "Nope, just a Ford."
    "My car with less than 30000 miles needs a power steering pump replacement. It's not a new transmission or engine but it's going to run me $$$$$$. It's out of warranty. This could also happen to a Camry or Accord, but what are the odds? "

Daniel, how car with less than 30,000 miles can be out of warranty, that is what I don't understand.

And yes I have close friend who had power steering failure in his Camry also less than 30,000 miles, but replacement and labor were covered by warranty
    Danielj6 is likely beyond the three year limit but not the 36K mile warranty limit. Danielj6, I would gently but firmly complain to your local dealer and then followup with Ford if the dealer refuses to go to bat for you. They may be willing to cut you some slack since your mileage is still low. It's worth a try.
    "Why pay more for ugliness?" Hey its all subjective.

The Futura will be more in line with the Malibu anyway.

And if one buys a new Taurus for $19K, as soon as they drive off the lot it's only worth $11K.

They aren't bad cars, but they are lame ducks with poor resale value. At this point in it's shelf life, it's best to get a used one, of which there are plenty.
    My car is exactly, from the day of purchase, 3 years and 9 months old. Obviously out of basic bumper to bumper warranty. I called the dealer some time ago and I confirmed that it is. I was also told that it will not be covered under the powertrain warranty either. The representative at the dealer said to me that according to my description it sounds like power steering pump failure. The guy strongly recommended that I bring the car to the service dept.

badgerfan: The warranty is 3 years or 36000 miles, whichever comes first. I got in touch with Ford HQ's and they said more or less the same thing as the dealer. To drop of the car at dealer svce., have it diagnosed and repaired. According to this rep, this is a part that may have worn out like brakes or battery and needs replacement. I replied that with such low mileage this shouldn't have happened. That's how the conversation went, like in circles at one point.
    How much is the pump + labor?
    Done privately $275 parts and labor.
This discussion has been closed.