Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• upsetter1upsetter1 Member Posts: 205
    I think there are more things to be done for Taurus than just marketing to compete with Camry. It includes new engine, new transmission, new suspension, better execution of interior, better power steering. Basically a new car. Vulcan is not a choice at all even for fleets.

So Futura is the step in right direction to compete with Toyota and Honda, but still it is a catch-up, because is several years after Mazda6 debut. Developing cars in America takes IMHO too long to compete with Japanese companies.
  • bewhite25bewhite25 Member Posts: 35
    I have a 2000 Ford Taurus SE with the FFV engine. I have 60k on it and have had no problems whatsoever. The interior is, for the most part, solid yet simple. However, the Taurus is just too mediocre. Even though I don't have the Duratec or leather seating, the Taurus just isn't that exciting of a car. It's reliable and gets you to where you have to go, but that's about it. The ride isn't that great. The overall design just seems old. The seats are too firm. I don't know about the Duratec personally, which I do hear good things about, but the Vulcan is just such a boring engine, and it starts to get rough at 3500 rpm. The transmission has to stop to think about which gear to select when you mash the throttle, and you can feel it searching through the limited four gears it has. I also wish I had a sophisticated 4 cyl. instead of a pushrod v6 for a base engine, although I will opt for a DOHC v6 next time I get a new car. Don't worry, I plan on still buying Ford. There also aren't any features that make it stand out. I really hope the Futura comes through as a modern replacement and can compete with Japanese rivals. I'm a Ford loyalist and will gladly buy either a Five Hundred or Futura when it comes out, but until then I guess I'm just stuck with my plain outdated Taurus.
  • shank6shank6 Member Posts: 64
    Well, had to dip into the repair pool yesterday boys. Needed a full brake job. Rotors, pads, drums, shoes and replace two leaking rear wheel cylinders with an inner tie rod up front.

The total ? $701.00 at a shop called Brake and Go. The're new up here in NH. They were $400.00 less than my dealer and the brakes are all Raybestos. I hope the styling on the Merc Montego is similar to the concept drawings. If it is that's my next purchase.
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    As I was reading a previous post about Taurus', my mind went back to last Friday when I took my Sable S.W. to a car wash. Every other vehicle was Japanese, German and either sedans or SUV's. I'm pretty sure most of these 4 luxo wheels were leased. No that I have anything about leasing, it's just not my thing. I always bought cash, so it's not that I couldn't afford (leasing) one of these imported babies.

According to my vehicle needs and perception of what a car is and should be, what I choose to own is sufficient. I'm BIG on safety and according to my research, my car is just as safe and perhaps safer as well as structurally stronger than all of those luxo cars and SUV's I saw.

You know the Taurus/Sable may be uninspired, monotonous, dated and simple but how much stock do we put on value and safety. If we sit down and did numbers, how much do we save buy buying a Taurus over those "exciting", expensive, costly to repair and insure foreign beauties?

When my car came out of the wash all wet but clean and shiny, it didn't look any less than the others.
    Actually many of so called German luxury cars are unreliable, including Mercedes and BMW. So after warranty expires it is a good idea to get rid of car asap, if you are not a millionaire of course. So leasing a German car is a good idea.

Just an example. My pal owned BMW Z3 convertible. It started to fall apart right after warranty expired and required repair that would worth several grands at least. He quickly reset ECU and trade it in for another BMW from the same dealer. If he had a lease it wasn't a problem at all - he would return the car before warranty expired.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    So many SUV buyers would do well to value safety as highly as you do. How many soccer moms really know how to handle their 2+ ton SUVs in emergency manuvers, God forbid they ever need to?

I dont understand why every SUV sold isnt sold with stability control of some sort, but perhaps thats why I'm a Toyota fan.

The Taurus is exactly what you say it is. A safe car with a respectable (though not great) value equation. That said, its been eclipsed by the competition, doesnt offer the LATEST safety features such as side curtains, vehicle stability control, rear head restraints(not that rear heard restraints are really that high tech or costly...) and hence, many are awaiting the promising Futura/500 lines.

~alpha
    alpha01: I don't think that manufacturers care about installing SC in their SUV's but focus on the bottom line and if they're sued they settle out of court. SUV's are dangerous and most of us don't know how to handle them. The don't drive like cars. To an SUV owner reading this my statement may appear to be an attack. It is not.

As far as Taurus, I've never been sure that Ford was that much interested in competing head to head with Camry/Accord. Ford always made much of its money selling trucks where it had only Chevrolet, and among them they shared the American and foreign market up to the last couple of years.

Still, Taurus always offered V6 motors and some standard equipment which those buying Accord/Camry usually had to pay more for. As far as mechanical reliability is concerned, there are a lot of Taurus owners who got close to 200000 miles out of their cars. In my case, my Merc. Sable came with quite a list of standard equipment, traction control and leather seating included. On the other hand, since the start my car exhibited problems. It's a trade off.
  • automan227automan227 Member Posts: 118
    Today I picked our new used 2001 Taurus SEL. We had signed the papers on monday, however it needed to have some service done on it and it needed to be detailed, so we picked it up today.

The car is spec'ed out as follows:
    2001 Taurus SEL
    33000 Miles
    Black
    Tan Leather Interior
    Rear Spoiler
    Mach Audio
    CD Changer
    Floor Shifter
    Moonroof
    Quality Checked plus a Premium Care Warranty.

Total OTD was $12k, and that was including the PremiumCare Warranty add on to the Quality Checked Warranty, and the 35k mile service (which they also changed the transmission fluid because we weren't sure if it had been done yet).

The car is basically flawless in condition, with a minor scuff on the rear bumper, and a small hairline scratch by the moonroof.

The car drives like it was brandnew, and I am very pleased with what I paid, and how I was treated by the dealer. They were extremely accomodating and willing to answer any and all questions that we had.

Overall very pleased with what makes our 2nd Ford Vehicle (also have an '02 Excursion Diesel).

AS
    Good luck with your Taurus?

Since you're satisfied with the dealer and good dealers are very hard to come by, what's the name
    of the dealership and what city is it located?

That info is allowed here. No names of salesmen/mgrs. or phone #'s, though.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    why do you make the assumption those "imported babies" were leased? leasing is way down due to very low new car interest rates and with many automakers pulling back from offering enticing leases due to losing their butt off from past leases.

alpha is right, taurus is falling behind in terms of safety features. i have a hunch you have a ford product because you like fords and not because your research indicated your sable is the car to get for safety.

exactly what luxury import sedan is not as safe or as strong structurally as a sable? quite to the contrary.
  • penguins3penguins3 Member Posts: 1
    I found some black ice with my 2000 Ford Taurus wagon and performed an operational test on a Jersey Barrier with the front end of my car at 20-30 mph on 2/10/04. After the collision the air bags failed to deploy - however, the idiot light on the dashboard was kind enough to light up to inform me that the air bag system was not operating correctly.

I called Ford who has forwarded my complaint to some black hole. Is this problem an isolated case or has Ford been selling defective air bags?

Further online searching shows that the NHTSA has 260 reported failures of the air bag system on the 2000 Ford Taurus. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defects reports that there have been two investigations into the problem. The second investigation is ongoing (NHTSA Action Number EA03010).

You can file complaints as follows:

By Phone
    Call the DOT Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236) and a NHTSA representative will record your complaint information.

By Mail

You may also print the web form out and fax it to (202) 366-7882 or mail it to:

U.S. Department of Transportation,
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,
    Office of Defects Investigation,
    NSA-10.01, 400 7th Street, SW,
    Washington, DC 20590.
    I know all of these people since the majority of them are my neighbors. I know their vehicle preferences, marriage status, and jobs they hold. Every 2 to 3 years they drive something new.

I've liked Fords and other American makes since childhood. However I bought Sable because (1) is a very structurally safe car, (2) it's roomy (3) is powerful, (4) I got more bang for the buck as compared to Camry/Accords.

My comparison of imports' stuctural strength to my Sable was made purely on issues of $$$$$. I believe that my car is just as strong as the luxury imports I happened to see while at the car wash. I follow NHTSA and IIHS and is no denying that luxo imports are well built. I was in no way referring, in my previous post, to Camry or Accords.

If you read my post again you'll notice that I also mention the high insurance premiums these people pay for their vehicles. We live in a zip code which is well known for high theft.

Sable or Taurus has not been falling behind in safety. I had an unfortunate chance to prove it when after 2 weeks after I had my station wagon I was rear ended. Cosmetic damage to the bumper, no damage to the car's body and no damage to my neck.
    My car also came with side air bags, traction control and ABS standard. These was back in 2000. The only safety neglect on the part of Ford was the lack of rear seat head rests, which is a glaring mistake. At this point in time, Accord and Camry as well as Subaru's Legacy are just as safe as Taurus/Sable.
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    It really seems like Ford is putting the Taurus/Sable in End of Life mode. They made some modest improvements to interior & exterior styling for 2004, but haven't seemed to have made any improvements in functional or safety features in several years. I don't know why, it has a good solid chassis, the Duratec is a very good engine, but four wheel disc brakes are only available on the wagon. Why? Still no side curtain airbag option. Why? Stability control isn't available, it my not be needed on such a car but it sure wouldn't hurt. Still no rear seat head restraints! There is no longer a performance version available even though it shouldn't be that difficult to put a performance tuned version of the Duratec, like those that power the Lincoln LS, and the Jaguar, in it, along with vented discs on all four wheels of course. If Ford really do plan to keep building these at Atlanta for two to four more years, why not bring them up to date functionally, and then market them? It shouldn't be that hard.
    once the 500 and futura come out the taurus will be regulated exclusively (or almost) to rental fleets. isn't this so. so i don't blame ford for not making heavy investments in the taurus.

at least you recognize some of the taurus/sable's
    shortcomings.
    "once the 500 and futura come out the taurus will be regulated exclusively (or almost) to rental fleets. isn't this so. so i don't blame ford for not making heavy investments in the taurus.

at least you recognize some of the taurus/sable's
    shortcomings."

Hey, I'm a Dearbornite and a stockholder, Ford's fortunes are too closely tied to mine for my own comfort sometimes. The trouble is it will take months to ramp up production on the 500/Montego/Freestyle, cars with brand new CVTs standard, and the Futura won't debut 'til a year after that. Atlanta is one of the most productive plants Ford has. It really same a shame to just write the car off so easily and watch people buy all those Camrys, Accord, and Altimas.
    What exactly do you need side curtain air bags and stability control on a car for????

Ford has obviously given up on the idea of competing with the Japanese by using Taurus and Sable. To that end, Mazda6 will attempt to compete (Mazda partly owned by Ford), and Ford's new models.

How about looking at Taurus from the standpoint of standard features and safety and not the functionality imposed by Honda, Toyota and Nissan?
  • maknarrmaknarr Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking for an everyday driver, I'm in the hunt for a 2002 or 2003 Taurus SES...price with 15-25 miles $10-11,000 around here. Although this car is bland compared to my wife's Avalon, I can buy three Taurus for what we paid for the Avalon. I drive about 20,000 mile a year, the car's are reliable and as cheap as transportation as I can find. I'm 6'6" tall, the Taurus also is a roomy car for tall drivers...
    Question: should I hold out for a 24 valve engine or is the standard engine OK for this vehicle??
    "What exactly do you need side curtain air bags and stability control on a car for????"

WOW! that's quite a statement. are you being serious? what, if a safety feature is not available on your sable it's not important.

i thought the accord should have side curtain airbags available on all of its models and not just the high end models. i guess i was wrong. why would you want to avoid head injuries from side impacts?
    I just bought an '01 SEL yesterday and it has 33,000 miles. We paid, including a premium care warranty and the 35k service and TTL, $12k. The car is immaculate inside and out with the exception of a scratch by the moonroof and a scuff on the bumper.

I drove a car with the standard V6 and one with the Duratec. There is almost no comparison between them and I highly recommend the Duratec. Considering the fact that the Taurus's have depreciated so much, I can't possibly imagine there is going to be a huge price difference between them, so it makes sense to get the 24V Duratec.

Just my $.02,

AS
    Actually i thought that side curtain air bags were more suitable for SUV's which have a tendency to roll over. Side air bags (which I have) take care of protecting the occupants from side collisions in cars which rarely roll over.

If you bothered to read my earlier posts you'd have noticed that I'm quite critical of Sable/Taurus after owning mine for number of years and seeing its shortcomings.

I am not fanatical about the brand or the manufacturer as you wrongly perceived. I have no loyalties to any car manufacturer.

You, on the other hand venus, are a Taurus basher who got into arguments with several posters whom you sniped. By the way, how is your Jetta? Did it come out of the shop yet?? Did you finally buy an Accord????
    and i thought you might of been kidding with the side curtain airbag comment. your side airbags won't protect your head in a side collision. if one cares about safety then you're going to want the side curtain airbags in your next car.

guilty as charged for being a taurus basher. i can't believe a major manufacturer like ford (trucks or no trucks) would let one of their cars go so long without any major revisions in such an important segment.

yes i did buy an accord last july. and my beloved jetta was only in the shop once outside of regular maintenance.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Have you heard of the Futura, or the even sooner to be introduced but largish 500/Montego? These models will eclipse the Taurus in every measure. That said, the Taurus remains a decent car, and a good certified used value especially. Though far from class leading, its not at the bottom of the sedan class either, at least according to the likes of CR.

~alpha
    This may sound kind of dumb, but does the Duratec V6 require premium fuel?

Thanks,

AS
    "Does the Duratec V6 require premium fuel?"

No, the versions of the 3.0l Duratec in the Taurus and Sable do not require premium fuel, 87 octane unleaded is recommended. The same goes for the version in the Escape and Mazda Tribute. The higher compression and higher performance version of the Duratec used in the Lincoln LS and Jaguar X-Type and S models do require premium. I'm not sure about the Mazda 6.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    He likes to jump in and tweak us Taurus/Sable owners every once in a while. He just can't seem to understand that many of us want to pay $5-$7K less to get a good solid car in Taurus compared to V-6 versions of Honda Accord and Toyota Camry, especially when you equip it with the DOHC Duratec.

Yes, Taurus is not leading the pack at the moment in some safety features and Ford is letting Taurus slip, as the 500 and Futura take its place. So what? With 500 being introduced this year and Futura next, why dump money into a platform that is being phased out?

Fact is until just recently Taurus has been a safety leader, being one of the first to implement dual stage airbags that depower depending on severity of crash, seat positions and driver weight. This was in the 2000 model year, really not that long ago when you think of it. Please don't give me crap about Taurus not having rear disc brakes, as anyone who knows anything about vehicle dynamics will know that the vast majority of all braking force is done by the front brakes. Yes it is missing rear head rests and side curtain airbags-old news.

If you are like Venus and buy a new car every three years or so, don't get a Taurus as it does indeed depreciate quicker. If you keep your cars ten years or so like I do, then depreciation means nothing, as almost every car is worth very little when ten years old. Up front cost is more critical. If you want to save more yet, buy a 1-3 year old used Taurus and save even more.

I really truthfully don't care if I have the most current safety features, as I will always be behind the curve a few years down the road anyway. My own defensive driving skills mean more to my individual safety than all the airbags in the world. Yes I can't control my destiny 100%, but neither will side curtain airbags.

Come this fall and next year, Ford will have competitive cars with innovative transmission, with more safety features than anything out there today available at reasonable prices, so continuing to trash Taurus is pointless.
    oh yes. i heard of the futura and am looking forward very much to this car.
    i was watching autoline and learned that the 500 will be offered with six speed and CVT auto transmissions. very impressive. i was less impressed with using the same ole duratec engine. they say the new trannys get a lot out of the engine though - very efficient.

but dang it all, this car (and the futura) should be out now! if ford wants to offer a budget car that's fine but also offer alternatives.
    500 and its crossover equivalent wagon Freestyle is to be out late summer or early fall, which is not exactly that far away. Futura I guess is to be out sometime in calendar year 2005. Product development takes a while, especially when the company was screwed up by Nasser and is still in a recovery mode.

That good ole 3 liter duratech is a very good engine and will likely provide acceptable performance for most, especially when combined with either a six speed or CV transmission, and if Ford wishes the 3 liter Duratech could be tweaked for greater output. Whether they will or not is not clear, but they can do it, as it has been done to it in Lincoln LS and Mazda 6.

As I understand it, a 3.5 liter Duratech is due out in 500's second model year, which should sell to those who think they can never have enough power.

Maybe your Accord will last that long Venus, so you can consider these new Fords!
    Besides having curtain air bags with side impact bags, ABS, traction control, stability control and all wheel drive, we shouldn't forget about knee-bolster inflatable bags and brake assist. Did I cover them all?

When I bought my car back in 2000, some of these options were not available in any car. Technology advanced immensely in 4 years making my car somewhat obsolete in safety features. The Sable wasn't state of the art on safety department like Volvo is, but it was (and it is) ranked as a safe car.

My kids were younger then and instead of buying a van I decided to get my station wagon because it's a car and therefore somewhat easier to drive and less cumbersome than a minivan. No SUV's for me.

Station wagons are proven to be less stolen than cars. My station wagon has a convenient, although small wheel well under the cargo area deck where one can store items in. I have the deck covered with a large rubber mat. And since I drive to work and park in a high crime area, having a car with a trunk would be tempting for a thief to pry it open. I had that happened to my 91 Camry.

One thing that no other car had 4 years ago was adjustable brakes; a very good safety feature. I am 5' 7" tall and can sit far from the steering wheel and reach the pedals which means that in a collision the chance of having my face injured by the air bag deploying are fewer than seating closer to reach pedals.

I'd better leave it here because I sound like a commercial.
  • chicagoskychicagosky Member Posts: 36
    Hey all,

My vehicle is in for some bodywork (minor parking lot collision, not my fault) and meanwhile it's getting some maintenance done. I was going to go for the whole 30K Tune-Up (what the owner's manual recommends), but then discovered it was over $400-- is this normal? Anybody else paid close to this much?

So I opted for just the tranmission flush because I know ya'll have mentioned the importance of it--and that alone is over $100. My boyfriend hadn't thought it would reach triple digits but he's at work so I'm just going to go ahead with it I guess.

Just wondering what else everybody else has paid for these kind of things and how much of this recommended maintenance is really necessary for a lightly, carefully driven vehicle. I'm not very mechanically inclined.

Sara
    You did right. Most of those 30K tuneup packages are packed with minor things that you could do yourself, or are likely not necessary.

Price sounds about right for a dealer done transmission fluid and filter change. Could be done elsewhere for less, likely, but if you are still under warranty, I would do it at the dealer, which is what I did for my 30K service.

Things you can easily do yourself: Air filter change, cabin air filter change, inspect fluid levels. You can usually buy a brand name aftermarket air filter for $5-$10 and cabin air filter for $15-$20 and both are fairly easy to do yourself.

Things that are unlikely to need inspection at 30K: Belts, hoses, brakes.

I would recommend a cooling system flush and fill, which in the Milwaukee area you can get done for $50-$70. Usually those services include hose inspection and pressure test.

You might need a tire rotation-cost usually $10-$25. Oil change if you are due.

That's about all I can think of.
    What service other than manufacturer recomended they offered ? I think a good idea is also to change brake fluid (it should be done every 2 years regardless of milage) and power steering fluid and filter change. If you have ABS you need an adapter to change brake fluid (it opens ABS). Change also fuel filter (you can do it yourself).
    I agree, fuel filter change is a good idea at 30K and easy to do, however you have to make sure the car has sat a while as the fuel is pressurized and even then you will leak some fuel as the filter is under the car so some fuel will runout, but changing it is easy with new plastic clips provided with the filter to hold the push on brake lines in place The old clips will break when you remove them.

Brake fluid and power steering fluid change? I have never have done this on any vehicle I have owned and have not had any problems as a result. There is nothing in the service recommendations either, so in my opinion is this is overkill.
  • snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    I disagree with you on brake fluid and PS fluid.
    Every 2 years regardless of your milage, those things need to be changed.
    Leaving break fluid in the system more than 2 years will cause severe rust in all break components (pistons and lines) (except pads) and will damage you ABS module and shortens the life of your calipers and ABS. You can end up by replacing entire ABS module for at least $700-$800.
    But, brake fluid flush cost you only $50-$60.
    It is very easy to do it and I flush mine every year. The cost is $3-$4 and 1 hour labor.

THe same is valid for PS fluid...
    Just had brake job done-pads and rotors only for front brakes only on our 1996 Caravan at 70K miles. This Caravan, which has ABS has never had any brake service until now and brake fluid has never been changed. Same goes for the power steering, never been touched and still works fine.

Also had a 1990 Taurus for ten years and 98K miles and only replaced pads and rotors once, no other brake service ever done and no problems. Same goes with power steering fluid.

Brake fluid flush and power steering flush are not required in my opinion and based on my experience of over 30 years owning and driving a variety of cars and vans.
    You have been simply LUCKY. What you say is against the chemical nature of these fluids.

If you bleed your brake system, the fluid smells burnt and looks like used engine oil. New brake fluid is like campagne color.
    Brake fluid absorbs moisture and this lowers boiling point of the fluid. This is science...

I am not here to convince you. You go head and do what you have been doing.
    Yes, I will go ahead and do what I have been doing. Note there has never been anything in the service recommendations for changing brake or power steering fluid in any cars I've owned, so I will go with my experience and with the manufacturer's recommendations on these.
    How did you change brake fluid in ABS, did you use an adaptor ?

I did brake fluid chage in my 1994 Taurus and it seems that it was never done before. Fluid was extremely durty, I wasted lot of fresh fluid trying to flush brake system clean, but it was so dirty so I gave up. Even fresh fluid in master cylinder still has a green color. It is sign of copper oxidation.

So what happens when you don't change brake fluid. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and collects water over the time. It also collects dirt from brake system. All together can cause brakes to fail. E.g. when there is a lot of water in fluid when you make often or panic braking - fluid gets hot and water starts boiling. Boiling water generates wapor so brakes will fail.

BTW in Europe brake fluid change is mandatory.
    I don't use adaptor. I have never heard of it. I am member of another Taurus forum and I don't recall anyone using adaptor either. To be sure I looked at Haynes manual again, I couldn't see any adaptor for ABS...

What was you squence when you were bleeding the system? It should be left rear, left front, left rear and right front. If you follow this, you'll waste much less fresh fluid.

If you don't push the pistons back dirty fluid will not go into ABS module, it is very important that you will bleed the system first before you change your pads. Otherwise, when you install ticker pads you have to push pistons back.
    I followed procedure recomended by Chilton, except of using adaptor. Adaptor is an electric device that is plugged to ABS and opens valves to drain old fluid from ABS. If not to do so after awhile (if ABS engaged) old fluid from ABS will mix with fresh one. It still better than not to change fluid at all. One thing what you can do without adaptor - change fluid, then drive a car forcing ABS to engage several times then change fluid again.

BTW you don't need to bring car to shop, I don't beleive they have any idea how to change a brake fluid let alone using an adaptor and it is time consuming for them. Dealer asks about $150, but again are they following procedures you do not know. In America the tradition is no need to brake fluid change, but replace engine oil every 3,000 miles with low quality mineral oil.

Brake fluid change will take 20 minutes if you have someone to help you with pushing gently (to drain fluid) or pumping the pedal (to remove air bubles) on your command. At least Chilton desribed procedure very well. But even there I didn't find a recommendation for brake fluid change interval, that seems weird to me.
    Haynes roughly recommends 2 years for brake fluid change.
    I can't believe dealer asks $150 for that service...
    Last year I bought a pump o replace the fluid but the purchase was right after change interval so I couldn't use it yet. I am due around June, I will try it see how it goes...

Manufacturers will take you to cleaner for any brake system problem occurs after 3/36 period. An ABS module is starting around $700-$800, calipers, hoses and labor...
    Certainly, they won't tell you anything for fluid replacement.
    European nations are very well regulated than US.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2004 Survey is posted and ready for your input!
    Cool survey. When will the results be available?
    Hey everyone :
    Just got through watching the Ford/Doral golf tournament. The Mustang retro styling is way cool as is the GT 500. They gave us a good look at the Ford 500, and I must say, styling wise....it's ugly.

It can be the safest car in the world, (remember those old shoe box volvos?)and I know the Duratech is a great engine, but at the end of the night do you want to leave the bar with the girl that has the best personality?.

I'm keeping my eyes open for a nice used Lincoln LS or a Taurus SES
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    "The girl with best personality" wont dump you for someone else in a flash.

BTW: Tauruses have the worst resale value, so to most it's not the "prettiest girl".
    Hey Tomcat:

Good point but I'm sticking with my new girlfriends sister, ala a used Taurus or Sable.It seems the deals out there are tremendous on slightly used executive or program cars. I love the Lincoln LS too.

I'm not leaving the brand, but it's got to have some styling appeal for me. The Taurus, Sable and Lincoln LS have the qualities I'm after. Power, performance and good looks!!
  • dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    Of course, if you're leaving the bar with one of these "girls" you should let someone sober drive! ;-) Those safety features and high crash test ratings are excellent, but best left untried, IMHO.
    survey results will be posted in May (I think).
    oop - now I'm told the survey results will be available within the next four weeks, if not sooner! :)
    Hey guys shank6 and tomcat630: Let's not forget that personality is usually more enduring and long lasting than looks.

Taurus/Sable have a subdued but not boring personality, and they still look good. Predictability and dependability are important.

Just a thought.
This discussion has been closed.