Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• atuckeratucker Member Posts: 7
    I don't mean to sound like a goof <g>, but what is "IIRC"?

Thanks!
    AT
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    "If I Recall Correctly" :)
    Thanks...I've looked behind the glove box, and needless to say, I see lots of wires and boxes, but I don't know what exactly I'm looking for. I even used a mirror in the hard to reach places (aren't they ALL hard to reach?), and can't find a five digit number...

AT
    I just noticed this morning that one of the rear speakers in my Sable Wagon isn't working. (not that they are great sounding in the first place!) I don't know how long it's been out, because it's not noticable with all the controls in the "middle" positions. Anyway, I think I will try to take the rear hatch panels off, or at least loosen them to check the speaker connection.

Are the two small bolts on the rear hatch (inside) handle the ones that hold the panels on? I tried to loosen one of the plastic "screws" on the panel around the window, and it just spins...

Thanks in advance!

AT
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    I think you'll find that those things that look like plastic screws are really threaded push on connectors. They may have screw heads, but they push in and must be pulled out.
  • mettechmettech Member Posts: 28
    I have a 03 Sable LE... after 23K miles I can say... nice car, only problem was the door seals... seat could be better... overall, for the money, I would buy it again...

My biggest problem however, is the resale value for it... Why so low?... It has to be the worst of any car in its class?
  • upsetter1upsetter1 Member Posts: 205
    On my 2002 Sable I hear a jarring noise coming occasionally from passangers side of dashboard, when I drive on concrete freeway (like I580), but disaapears when I switch to smooth freeway (like I-880). Seems like some resonance. It may dissapear when freeway turns.

Does anyone on the board know how to fix it ?
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Because there are so many and the Accord and Camry are also plentiful and higher rated. The main reason most would buy a used Taurus over an Accord is to get a bargain. Everyone has to undercut everyone else to get rid of theirs, so resale just gets lower and lower.
  • tkfitztkfitz Member Posts: 95
    Bought a 1993 taurus in '94 for about 10k. Including 75k extended warranty from ford. 150000 miles and still gets me to work. Have had minor problems in the last ten years but all in all a cost effective commuter. The low initial cost for a used one cannot be beat by the imports especially if you plan on being the last owner.
    My last commuter was a 1982 Olds Omega It finally retired at about 270000 miles. Drove it to the junkyard on its own steam.
    Taurus even gets 30 mpg on the highway.....
    Oh What A Feeling....
    I could be driving a civic or corolla for more money
  • chicagoskychicagosky Member Posts: 36
    I have a similar problem, and when I took it into the dealership under warranty, they said it was due to ArmorAll getting into the vents when the dashboard is really hot (I live in the South, so by really hot, they mean well over 100 degrees). If you use ArmorAll, this may be the problem you are experiencing. Weird sounding, I know, but once the service technician explained it to me, it sounded plausible. The problem always disappears once the car cools down with the a/c.
  • shank6shank6 Member Posts: 64
    Hey All :

Started up my 2000 Sable LS to get the paper this morning and felt a loss of power half way to the store. This was followed by a flashing check engine light. I ended up putting in some fuel injector cleaner and the loss of power problem seems to have gone away ( clogged injector ?)

Anyhow, with 94,500 miles I'm guessing it's time for a tune up. Anyone have an idea how much my dealer will soak...er, charge me for the 100,000
    job and what's involved. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Could be something bouncing around in your glove compartment. Try removing everything from your glove compartment and see if the noise disappears. Sometimes just rearranging stuff in there will make a noise go away.

My 2000 Taurus is still rattle and squeek free, just past 40K miles a few weeks ago. The only rattles I have had so far are when the front sway bar links went under warranty and the front end clunked occasionally, but only could be heard at low speed over rough bumps.
  • snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    If you tell us what you have done, in terms of maintenance, so far then we can assist you better...
  • nomoreford2nomoreford2 Member Posts: 50
    Just to change the spark plugs can range from $100-150 on the duratecs from the dealers i called. You can do it your self, it will take about 1 1/2 hours due to the rear 3 and having take off the plenum on the top of the engine. It is not hard. If the engine light stays on and gives a code 401 on ODBII, it is a bad DPFE sensor near the rear spark plugs which is common problem on the 00-01 duratecs. They are about $30-40 at the dealers and are easy to change.
    Post 2980 could be right about that DPFE sensor being bad. I got a notice from Ford about a year ago that they were extending the warranty on this part on my 2000 SES Duratec. Not a recall, just extended warranty. Might be worth checking with a dealer whether yours is covered by extended warranty.
    Shank6 indicated, the CEL was flashing. If the light flashes, this indicates very serious problem and car should not be driven at all.

Spark Plugs and DPFE sensor are less likely to cause flashing CEL. They bring solid CEL. I replaced my DPFE sensor after P0402 code (excessive EGR) and light was solid in my case.

However, he should get his computer read by Autozone to determine what is going on.
  • upsetter1upsetter1 Member Posts: 205
    Thanks chicagosky and bangerfan. Last Sunday I removed glove compartment and looked under the dash. Tapping around I found that sound comes from SRS (it is the passenger air bag). Not from SRS itself but where SRS is attached to the dashboard. May be some junk between SRS box and dashboard bar. So far noice has gone, probably I dislodged the junk. I still had 100 miles of bumper to bumper warranty left, but felt uncomfortable to waste time in dealership because of such a minor issue. Well if jarring noice resumes in the future have to remove SRS to investigate.
    Well, nomorefords estimate was just about right. Cost for the tune up with Motorcraft platinum plugs was $175.00 at my shop up here in NH called Brake and Go. I trust the mechanic.

Unfortunately, the cylinder three misfire was the result of a slightly cracked coil on top of the plug according to the diagnostic. Replacement cost including labor $116.00.

My mechanic said the plugs were toast, but how does that happen to one of the plug coils ?. Bad gas, or maybe should have tuned it up sooner ? Any thoughts from anyone.
  • jebinc1jebinc1 Member Posts: 198
    I have a 2002 SES with 32k miles. Transmission was flushed at 31K. Recently, I've noticed a mild scraping/grinding sound when the the car is put in park. You can take it out of park and then put it back in park and the sound will go way. You can also recreate the sound it you do not engage the parking brake (letting the car roll forward or backward in Park until the transmission stop. What may be causing this? Does something need adjusting or did something come loose in the transmission? Has anyone else experienced this condition?

Thanks.
  • wkohlerwkohler Member Posts: 74
    Your transmission filter could have come loose during the "flush" process. My understanding is that during the "flush" process the transmission pan is not dropped nor is filter replaced. Periodically during the "flush" process, the filter may become dislodged resulting in some of the noise you're hearing. Take it back to whoever did your "flush" and see what they have to say. This happened to me on an Expedition. Since then, I make sure the pan is dropped, new filter installed and fluid replaced. A little more expensive that way, but saves some headaches in the long run.
  • jebinc1jebinc1 Member Posts: 198
    Thanks, but like you I had the pan dropped and the filter changed as well so I dont think that is the problem. Since the car is still under warranty I plan to have them look at it next week when it is in for an oil change.
  • ohio7ohio7 Member Posts: 67
    A couple of weeks ago I took my 2000 SEL in to have the coil shields put on. I was told that they were in stock when I called two weeks before. Went to a doctor appointment and came back for my car. They THEN told me that they did NOT have the shields in (not till Dec.) and furthermore that even though we have snow and ice here in Northern Virginia and the state uses salt, I was not qualified for the free shields. Only if they were broken, then they'd replace them. Luckily I don't have to drive much with my car and I use the main road which is always free of snow, but still has salt and sand on it.
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    Did you get the recall advisory in the mail? I did and it clearly said that unless you currently had a problem with a broken coil don't bother to call your dealer. It said you would be notified in December when the parts were in. My impression was that they were doing the recall only in the NE states. I'm in NY and got the letter 4-6 weeks ago.
    Not just the Northeast, it applied to all northern states where salt is likely to be used continuously in the winter. I got the notice in Wisconsin and would have been shocked if I did not get the notice, as a huge amount of road salt is used here.

I wouldn't be surprised if Northern Virginia is not in the recall area, though the extended warranty on spring failure is probably nationwide, just only the northern states are getting the shields. And I can confirm the shields won't be available until the end of the year, when we will get another notice in the mail.
  • ohio7ohio7 Member Posts: 67
    Yep, got the notice but I was going to be in the area and thought that I'd try to get them. I plan on moving back to snow-laden Ohio (Reason for the "Ohio 7" handle.) in a few years so I will definitely need them more there than here in Northern Virginia. The guy who I talked to must have been high on gas fumes because he not only put me down for an appointment for them but checked to see if they were in and said they were. Needless to say he was wrong. The head manager said if they break I have the extended warranty by receiving the letter. Thanks, Ford!
  • tkfitztkfitz Member Posts: 95
    Just so you know....when the coils break you have a good chance that the spring will puncture the front tire. Suddenly and completely. This is why Ford installed shields on my 93 Taurus. I cannot believe they are going through this again. I would have thought that by now Ford would just redesign the springs or install the guards at the factory.
  • masonmimasonmi Member Posts: 148
    I'm looking at a 2004 Mercury Sable GS and wondered how the reliability is on the Sable's? I liked the way it handled and the quiet smooth ride when I test drove one, are the Sable's basically built the same as a Taurus? Any input would help, thanks.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Picked up my company car. It had 8 miles on the odometer. I have had it two weeks and it's got 1,600 miles on it. I am in sales and do lots of driving. It's the base "Vulcan" motor. First of all, the Taurus has gone through the decontenting process like the Focus. The two things I noticed right away is now it has a "plastic mesh" grill with a smaller Ford logo on it instead of the plastic chrome Ford logo that was much larger. Also, on the trunk it now has a very small Ford logo on a painted surface instead of the chrome plastic strip back there as well. Maybe Ford is "dumbing down" the Taurus to make sure it doesn't compete with the "500". While the Vulcan motor is OK for around town, the acceleration is not that great for merging on the Southern California freeways, nordoes it have any "top end" power for highway passing. The seats are very uncomfortable, not good for long trips at all. This used to be a high point in the previous generation Taurus, I don't know if Ford changed the seats or what. I am getting 20mpg on the highway, not too bad. It has good cornering capabilities (a pleasant surprise!) and the contenental tires become nosiy as they age with miles. Would I buy one? I wouldn't buy one new with one year old ones going in the 11K bracket. But if you picked up a one to two year old Taurus, you could do worse with your money on some of the small Korean offerings at that price!
    Interesting! I got my 2000 SES for four years, I can tell you it is the most comfortable car I've ever driven even on long trips. But I don't drive more than 8 hours continuously.

Your mileage is awful, I get 21.4 in 100% city traffic, 27-28 on highway (70 mph average). But I think your car is too new to measure the gas milage yet.
    Sable and Taurus are essentially the same vehicle, just sheet metal and trim differences, and maybe different combinations of options, but otherwise they are equals. You will probably find more choices on the lots with Taurus as there are more Ford dealers and Taurus sales volume is greater.
    Thanks for the response, i'll have to check out the Taurus and see how it drives in comparison to the Sable, Is the SES Taurus the top of the line in comparison to the Sable LS model? and how are the Vulcan engine reliability?
    The Vulcan motor is one of the most reliable around. It's not a "cutting edge" motor, but very relaible. When most people complain about their Taurus, it's hardly ever motor related!
    Good luck!
  • boots7boots7 Member Posts: 1
    I drove my wagon and parked it at the store with no problems. About 30 min later i started it and put it into drive and it didn't even try to move the shifting cable is moving the lever on the top of the trans. The thing is it will not even try to do anything forward or in reverse. any Ideas for a easy fix. help the new guy
  • dae3dae3 Member Posts: 55
    I just bought a 2004 Taurus SES with the Mach Stereo system. I am frustrated that I cannot find any information about the system. I would like to upgrade the stock speakers which even though they are supposed to be an upgrade have cheap paper cones. (At least the ones I can see from the trunk) Does anyone have information on the power of the amp this thing has. I have found the amp in the trunk but there are no markings on it. I would like to know how much power this amp has so I know what speakers it can drive. Also, does anyone know if the speakers in the front doors and the tweeters up on the piller are paper?

The stereo is very loud but I would like to get a more quality sound. My listening has found that there is very boomy bass, no mids, and shrill trebles. Good speakers would hopefully smooth all this out. I have tried several stereo stores and they all seem clueless. One even said that the only way to upgrade the speakers was to buy a new head unit, amp, speaker wires, and probably a new jacuzzi tub for the installer.

I have looked at Crutchfield and they tell me the info on speaker sizes but that is all.
    Top of line Taurus is the SEL.

Note for 2005 model year they are dropping down to two versions of Taurus, the SE and SEL. Just simplifying the model offering, as Taurus/Sable is tapering off production levels (down to one plant vs two as the Chicago plant is now building Five Hundreds and Freestyles) and will probably disappear altogether when the Fusion comes out in a couple of years.
    Note Ford extended the warranty on the DPFE sensor on my 2000 Taurus Duratec, so you might be able to get a freebie replacement for that if it has failed and yours qualifies.
  • wkohlerwkohler Member Posts: 74
    Taurus has really been decontenting the last few years. I bought a new 2001 new, recently gave it to my daughter and bought a new 2003. The 03 has black plastic interior door handles vs satin chrome, the 03 has no glove box light, no rear a/c vents at the rear of the center console, no enclosures around the rear speakers, a cheapened version of the trunk mat over the spare tire, no shade bar on the windshield and most likely more decontenting that one can't see. I suppose most of this is to obviously save some money and the fact that the Taurus will die out the next couple of years.
    I also test drove a 2004 Mercury Sable LS model loaded with options such as a power sunroof,auto temp control, power seats, however it did not have a CD player, there was just a button that said disc 1-6 are cassettes standard on such a loaded LS model?
  • dae3dae3 Member Posts: 55
    My 2004 Taurus SES has a single in dash CD and also has the Disk 1-6 button. That button controls a cd changer that is usually in the trunk on the drivers side above the wheel well. I would just have to buy the changer and it would work with the head unit in the dash. You would have to check in the trunk for the changer to see if it has a CD. If you look at the amp that is located in the trunk under the carpet (location described above) it has a plug coming out of it that the CD changer plugs into.

Did it have a cassette player in the dash? I have been having a heck of a time finding out any information about the specs on the Mach stereo system in my Taurus. Nobody seems to have a clue. Even the specialty car audio places in town are totally clueless about it.
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    I'm reading your latest posts about Ford's de contenting the Taurus, and just today while watching a Ford commercial showing its newest additions (Freestyle, Five Hundred, etc.), it got me thinking about their unwritten policy of neglect by creating discontented customers.

Ford lets its dealers play all kinds of dirty trick on buyers, not just through the sales process but also during servicing vehicles.
    Yes, you have a very, very good point. I took my Explorer (2002 XLT 4.0 SOHC 2wd) in for the major service at 30,000 miles. I had a few warranty complaints. The chief among those (other than the soldnoid on the transmission) was a sticking in-dash CD player and a drivers door handle that constantly rattles. I got the vehicle back (350.00 dollars later) and they said they adjusted the door handle and the CD player wasn't sticking. Well the next day the door was rattling worse than ever and the CD player got stuck again So-it's back in to the shop. Today they told me they ordered a new door handle and the CD Player is still "in question". Why do we have to fight for warranty repairs?
    Back to subject-I have a brand new '05 SE Ford Taurus furnished by my company. It's an OK vehicle, except for the fact the seats are hard as a rock! What are they thinking? When you spend all day in a vehicle you want the seats to be comfortable!! The quality seems to good thus far, but it has only 1,600 miles on the odometer. All these problems on my Explorer did not manifest themselves until after two years.
    Yes it does have a cassette player in the deck it was just odd to see the disc 1-6 button on the cassette deck, I didnt check the trunk for a CD changer, it wasn't listed on the invoice sticker so i figured it didn't have one.
  • jdiaz2jdiaz2 Member Posts: 16
    My 2000 wagon has Mach sound with the six-disc Sony changer, and I seem to recall that the upgrade is just an 80-watt (total) amplifier and the tweeters in the upper part of the front doors. I'm sure the speaker cones are paper.

I wouldn't get the Sony changer.....especially with the latest iPod and other mini-hard drive players on the market. Six CDs isn't enough!

Jon
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    If the sticker doesn't list a CD changer, it doesn't have one.
    However, they are pre-wired to install one and the head unit has the controls already there in case a CD changer is installed in the future. Installing a compatible CD changer later is trivially simple other than mounting it.
  • spammers2hellspammers2hell Member Posts: 7
    How hard is it to replace the headlamps? Even the
    high beams on my '01 SEL seem dim in comparison to many other cars on the road. TIA!
  • mishfromozmishfromoz Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 Taurus has soft center steering wheel-is this right-does it have an airbag--dealership is not much help-they said they can`t tell.
    It most definitely has an air bag. All Ford Tauri from 1990 on had as a minimum a driver's side airbag, and for the last ten years or so, has also had a passenger side airbag. Don't be concerned how the steering wheel looks and feels. Manufacturers have gotten pretty clever in packaging the air bags under covers so you wouldn't even know it is there. It is designed soft as this also where you activate your horn.

The only way your car might not have it is if you bought it used and the previous owner had it deploy on them and did not replace it, but then your airbag warning light would be on continuously, as I doubt if someone would go to the effort of disabling the test check electronics and software. Does your airbag light go on for a short period of time when you first turn the key and start the engine? It should, and then go out shortly after that as the system performs a self check when you start the car.
  • mishfromozmishfromoz Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info-guess I won`t worry about whether the air bag is actually there or not-just hadn`t found a Taurus with the soft steering wheel when I checked on others-I bought this car used, last month, it had been a bank company car with 24,000 miles -I am a former Taurus owner and rally liked the car so bought another one. I do notice a snapping noise when I start to drive-but not too worried-my old Taurus made all kinds of snapping and popping noises and it lasted over 149,000 miles.
    Hey Guys :

Just turned 103,000 on my 2000 Sable LS Premium with no major problems at all!!. Local dealer in MA just over the border from me in NH was advertising new 2004 Taurus SEL with all discounts at $16,999.00. How does that stack up?.
    Or...should I try to take the Sable out to 150K and wait. Any idea on the finance rates out there?
    Thanks
    Shank6
    Well, it depends on how much you value peace of mind with a lower mileage new car vs money saved by driving what you've got.

It is nearly always cheaper to keep what you've got, pay for any repairs needed and drive it into the ground. Also, if you are contemplating buying another Taurus/Sable, you are replacing your current car with one that is essentially the same car, so if that floats your boat fine. Otherwise, keeping what you have gives you nearly the same driving experience as the 2004 model.

If you wait a couple years, the Ford Fusion will be out, and also the Five Hundred will be three years on the market, so prices of it will likely be discounted on it some by then, so your choices for replacement will be more wide ranging by then, assuming you are going to stick with Ford.

The price sounds good on the 2004 SEL. Is it fully loaded, and what was the MSRP? That price is $1k less than I paid new for my 2000 Taurus SES Duratech!
This discussion has been closed.