Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    Here you will find photos of last Sable rolled off assembly line in Atlanta:

http://www.blueovalnews.com/2005/products/sable.lastunitbuild.02may05.htm
  • vppcvppc Member Posts: 58
    Hello, everyone!

I own a 2001 Taurus SES with 69,000 miles. I NEED tires! These Wal-Mart Douglas Touring tires are pathetic. Here are my requirements:

- $400 budget
    - FANTASTIC handling (I frequently travel curvy roads)
    - Smooth ride (althought not life or death requirement)
    - Stability on highways

I personally feel as if a TOURING tire is not an option; however, I have considered the following tires:

- Firestone Affinity LH30
    - Bridgestone Potenza G009
    - Fuzion HRi
    - Kelly Navigator Platinum TE

PLEASE! I need input on what tire I should buy. If any of you 2000-2005 Taurus owners have found a tire that DESTROYS the performance of the Continental Touring Contact or any other standard touring tire, I would appreciate it!

THANKS!
    - Alex
    Hello, everyone!

I also wanted to update the status of my 2001 Taurus SES with 69,000 miles. To date, here is all I have done to the car:

- 64,000 - lower ball joint ($35 part, $40 install, $40 for 4-wheel alignment)
    - 66,000 - new front rotors ($70 for both including installation)
    - 68,000 - transmission flush w/filter (preventative maintenance, $140)

The only thing I need to do to this car is a new oil pan gasket. I guess I am leaking oil (only a drop now and then); however I am going to replace this as I want to keep the maintenance up. It will run me $30 for the part and $75 to put it in.

Coming from a 1998 Toyota Camry, I am very pleased with my Taurus. Sure, people might say that Ford is junk, but I say otherwise. I feel if you TAKE CARE OF YOUR VEHICLE, then it will take care of you. This car at 69,000 miles, honestly, runs better than the Camry did at that mileage. I use this vehicle for pizza delivery and also for commuting. I travel on rough and curvy roads most of the time, and this car handles it! The suspension is excellent and I can hear them gas struts a working! My Camry had some suspension issues: bad struts, scraped in the front on any turn from a grade, bottomed out on bumps, squeaked over speed bumps, not the best handler. Not to mention, the engine (2.2L) had a leaking exhaust manifold thus causing a strange sound at initial startup and a FLASHING check engine light if driven too hard. The pushrod 3.0L V6 in this car has excellent pull and, as I understand, goes forever and is inexpensive to maintain. Another noticeable strong point is the cars body strength. At age four, NO RUST and NO DINGS on this vehicle. The Camry had many small dings that I see frequently on Japanese cars. My Camry had one spot where it rusted, many small dings, many scratches, and the spoiler paint faded and lost its texture.

Trust me, once a Toyota-only guy, I have now become a Ford guy. Although I do think Toyota produces a good car, I will choose a Ford first. The new 500 is NICE, NICE, NICE. Five-star side-impact without side airbags! Ford also makes a tough car made to handle rough, American terrain. My Taurus takes it like a [non-permissible content removed] and I feel I can depend on it, given I take care of it.

So, to those debating about buying a Taurus or Sable, DO IT. Save money, spend less on repairs, and know that you bought a quality, domestic vehicle that will hold up to anything and keep you the most protected out of every vehicle on the road (look at the fantastic crash ratings at www.highwaysafety.org). If you are wanting new, a Taurus or Sable can be easily had for $15-$16K. Or, step up to the new Ford 500 which I have seen for $19,795 in the papers.

THANKS!
    - Alex
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi Alex,

Here are another couple of discussions you might want to check into while you are waiting for some input here:

Tires, Tires, Tires and Ask Connor at the Tire Rack.

Hope this is helpful - good luck.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    I am going to be due for new tires to replace the OEM Continentals on my 2000 Taurus before next winter. I am seriously considering going with BF Goodrich Traction TA's (I believe they are the H speed rated version) as they seem to have consistently good reviews by Tire Rack and also by those who post their own reviews at Tire Rack. They are also reasonably priced. You might want to investigate these Traction TA's.

The OE Continentals on my Taurus, aside from having poor wet traction, have actually done pretty well. Nice even wear and even decent snow traction, though it is getting worse now that they are nearing the end of their useful life. Now at 46K they are about used up, and I will definitely replace them this summer or fall.

Glad to see you are having good luck with your Taurus, as am I.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    I agree with you on Ford vs. Toyota. On my Toyota I used to fix the fender by bare hands - metal is very thin and soft. My Taurus crashed brick wall once and bent parking pole other time ending with some extra scratches on the bumper. With Toyota it requires bumper and probably hood replacement (I actually did repair bumper once on Toyota). It is because Japanese design vehicles to save material wherever it is possible and American vehicle are more robust as a rule because American are not skimpy on materials.

Yeah suspension is the weakness of all Toyotas, esp. if you drive on rough roads. Mitsubishi and Mazda are better on this aspect. Toyota is not robust. It is Japanese refined, but not American tough. I will not buy another Toyota solely because they handle bad and are fragile. I do not want to get scared every time I change lanes on freeway or visit body shop after every little fender-bender.

Continentals on my Sable are pretty durable. I have 50K miles on it and they wear even and look good, may go another 50K. I did not pump tires at least for half a year. Actually I do not remember when I did it last time. But robustness has downside – they are not reliable on wet surfaces – ABS starts working and car keeps going – not good.
  • flyingscot2364flyingscot2364 Member Posts: 4
    Greetings: I own a 1994 Sable wagon. Recently, the HEAT/AC blower motor

will only work at the fastest speed. The slower fan speeds are dead. Any ideas ?

Thanks.....

Larry
  • lmcglmcg Member Posts: 1
    I replaced the OEM Continentals on my 2000 Sable around 7 months ago with Dunlop SP Qualifiers from Sam's, around $70 each. I also went up a size to 225, which was acceptable in the tire sizing guide that Sam's uses. 1 month ago I was in to get the tires balanced and rotated (around 8K on the Dunlops and I had some shaking in the steering) and the tech recommended that the tires on the front be replaced as the alignment was out enough to have eaten the tires on the inside. I had no idea the alignment was out as there was no pulling or indication (take note - get regular alignments!). The tech recommended at that time that a tire with a harder compound, such as BF Goodrich, would do better on the Sable as he called it a "heavier car". I went ahead and got two new Dunlops on the rear; now I've already noticed a slight shimmy when gradually braking to a stop - don't know if it's the tires or the brakes. There is a definite shake when braking thru 50mph so I know the brakes are due.

I can't say I would recommend the Dunlops for this car; they don't feel as solid and smooth as I had hoped. Wet traction is fine, and they aren't overly loud.

I just put a set of the BF Goodrich Traction T/As on the wife's Honda Odyssey, which replaced a set of Goodyear Regatta 2s. The Regattas performed well, and were certainly quieter than the OEM Michelin Symmetry. We got around 30K out of the Regattas.
  • chrisptownchrisptown Member Posts: 11
    BOUGHT SABLE NEW 1/05. HAS 7,000. MILES JUST DEVELOPED WATER LEAK IN PASSENGER FLOOR. HAVE APPT WITH DEALER. DEALER SAYS HE HAS NOT NO SIMILAR COMPLAINTS ON TAURUS/SABLES. ANY THOUGHTS.
  • mettechmettech Member Posts: 28
    I had the same problem with my '03. The dealership installed a drip tray in the dash. I was told that there is a TSB on this.
  • gyatesgyates Member Posts: 55
    I recommend the Bridgestone Turanza LS-T's. After 20k of the factory Affinity's, I switched to these. A great tire for the car. Very much improved handling of the car, without a compromise in ride quality. I now have about 35k on these tires and am still pleased with their performance. The car is 2001 SES.
  • gyatesgyates Member Posts: 55
    There is a resistor on the blower motor that goes bad and causes this condition. My 2001 did the same thing. The part was about $15.00 and was located under the dash behind the glove box. It is held in place with 2 screws on my 2001, probably very similar to this on yours. It takes maybe 10 minutes of your time to do the repair.
  • chrisptownchrisptown Member Posts: 11
    THANKS WILL SHOW THIS TO DEALER ON THURSDAY. WAS YOUR PROBLEM SOLVED BY THE DRIP TRAY??
  • dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Member Posts: 190
    Just a courtesy note. Online, capital letters are considering SHOUTING and not particularly polite. I know you don't intend to shout. Besides, mixing case in a more English-teacher manner, is much easier to read, don't you agree? :)
  • leroy3leroy3 Member Posts: 1
    engine motors over, has fuel pressure at the fuel manifold byt no spark after replacing the engine.
    I can't find anything under there that resembles a resistor. It must be in a

different place on the older vehicles. I can't find it under the hood either. However,

thanks for your reply. Can anybody else shed some light on this problem ?.....
  • 02taurusman02taurusman Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought an 02 taurus SE and if I remember correctly the ash tray was well lit at night when I bought it but now only the back left corner is lit right below the bulb. I was wondering if there is a lens below the bulb that reflects the light to the whole ash tray or if there is anything else that reflects the light. I may have knocked something loose then threw it away when I removed and dumped the ashtray.

I would very much appreciate if someone could check this out if you have an 00-05 taurus and let me know!!! Thanks!
  • thejorgethejorge Member Posts: 1
    hi,
    i've got a 96 taurus with 136,000 miles on it. when i get done driving it and get out of the car there is an almost overpowering gasoline smell. i've put paper under the car and there is no leak. there also doesn't seem to be a leak as the gas gauge doesn't go down on it's own. the smell is only there after i've been driving it. when i come out in the morning and walk up to the car it doesn't have the gas smell. only once it's been driven. any ideas? thanks.
  • rlenz2711rlenz2711 Member Posts: 7
    Seams most cars have a resistor block for the heater motors.
    usually mounted under the dash near the motor.
    Check the wiring diagram for this vehicle at the local library.
    Its a common problem for the resistor to fail.
    In high speed the resistor is not used.
  • rlenz2711rlenz2711 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2003 same problem.
    Dealer replaced shield under hood and replaced the blower motor and resistor assembly.
    They stated this was a very common problem and had repaired numerous vehicles.
    At the counter for the appointment they new exactly what wrong.
    I must have missed it the first time I looked. I'll try again. Many thanks for the

reply.....
  • zoltan2kzoltan2k Member Posts: 1
    Greetings, All:

1998 Taurus SE, 57k miles in Tampa. Zero problems till now. Intermittently idles high...1,000-1,100 rpm in gear, 1,500-2,000 rpm out of gear...seems at times I can get it to normal by turning on A/C. Sometimes problem doesn't appear for days. Looking for down and dirty fix like cleaning contacts, checking vacuum hoses before I sink any $$ into diagnostic/repair. Thanks in advance for any assistance you might offer!
    I went to my local Mercury dealer and asked him to show me the resistor in
    question.

I finally located the faulty resistor in question. It looks more like a multi-pin
    connector than a resistor. That's why I missed it the first time.
    Many thanks to those who offered advice.

Larry.......
  • faseelfaseel Member Posts: 2
    Ok all, my 2003 Ford Taurus, is at 37,000 miles, and the ac has gone dead. At first I could work the nob, on and off a few times, then it would kick in, and work until I turned off the car. Now, no matter what, it won't come on. This happened over a 2 week period. Have any of you EVER heard of a 2 year old AC system going out on one of these things. I'm beginning to regret my purchase.... any ideas..?
    Thank you!
    Sounds like a simple switch or relay bad or your AC compressor clutch, if it was working only intermittently and now not at all. If it was a freon leak, it would slowly get less and less able to cool, but your problem sounds more electrical, which is probably a good thing. You need to get it in to either the dealer or I would suggest some shop that specializes in automobile AC systems. It may not be anything too expensive.
  • faseelfaseel Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the heads up. Yea, I was thinking it couldn't be all that serious, I have an appointment at the dealer where I purchased it, I'll let you know what they find. Thanks again. I just didn't want to go in there going Umm.. dddduuuhhh.. it be broken..
  • 75winks75winks Member Posts: 5
    i haven't seen recent replies concerning the starting problem. around a week or two ago, my '98 sable didn't want to start?? no previous starting problems. i've checked almost every part related to the ignition system, think she's ok for the rest of evening, next day run to store- hour later won't start. kind of sounds like playing a record backwards or a movie sound fx of slo-mo. when it does start- fires right up. have you seen the movie 'Christine' by stephen king?? i've changed the battery cables (pretty well corroded, end-to-end); i've changed the crankshaft position sensor (check engine light related- possible relation in computer system- light went off -no other difference); checked all fuses, relays, diodes, and possible loose or corroded connection somewhere in ignition 'loop'; still not sure when i'll be walking or driving. battery good, altornater good. last piece i've yet to change is ignition itself- procrastination- just don't want to!! looking for feedback before i pull out my last two hairs.appriciate it.
    Does the engine crank over when you have the problem? If it does not even turn over, I would look at the starter itself being the problem. Starters can sometimes act intermittent when they are going out. If it cranks but does not start, then it has to be something in your ignition system or your fuel system or the electronics that control them.

Sounds like you are a do it yourselfer, but you just may have to take it in to an expert to diagnose this problem.
    i've typed the situation so many times, i'd felt like a broken record explaining what happened; may have left out a detail or two.
    when the problem happens, that's the 'slo-motion' sound i referred to. i may only get one or two revolutions (real slow), sit for a moment, turn key- nothing! no clicking, no low sounding hum, nothing. probably wiring somewhere loose, unseen without removing major components. when it doesn't give me any hassle, it turns over so smooth i almost forget that it may not start again once i get to where i'm going.
    the other day at work, i was heading out to go home, won't start. we sat there for only about two or three minutes, my girlfriend says, "try again"- fired right up?? it has a mind of it's own, i swear; never encountered or heard of this before without being able to diagnose it.
    My guess it is the starter, since it turns over slowly or just clicks sometimes. They sometimes fail intermittently like that, though you could have some other intermittent condition in your starter wiring system. If you are handy enough it is relatively easy to change starters, and you can buy rebuilt units with exchange of the old one for a fairly low price. You won't be out a lot if you change the starter and still have the problem. Otherwise you are going to have to take it in to an expert for diagnosis and repair.
    thanks, i'll try changing the starter. it never clicks though, just slow turn-over or fires right up. i'm not sure of the specifics on exactly what the starter solenoid and starter itself are. i get repair manuals, get lost in abbreviated names for parts and the way they give detail on numerous different years at once, toss the book, then just do what i know about servicing and repairing anything. i think about what i've experienced and encountered before, starting at one end and checking,testing, removing, isolating, changing, and/or tweaking parts and pieces along the way until it works. any other car i've owned, that method has worked fine. as i go through this car, little actions or sounds or appearance of things catch me off guard and make me try something else. got lost in the story for a moment, sorry.
    took starter out, went to local auto parts store, ran it on the tester, solenoid and starter working just fine. researched further, and i believe there's one last part to check... the ignition control switch, which is conveniently located- in, behind, under, and concealed within the steering column cocoon. i was actually a little upset when i found out the starter is good; it's more expensive, but definitely less hassle than removing any interior component containing electric wiring and parts all throughout.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Sounds like your charcoal canister is flooded.
  • 2harwell2harwell Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 ford taurus and they a/c has gone out. it started by low and med blower speeds not working but high working...and then high stopped working. now when i turn the air on nothing blows out but while you drive you can feel cool air coming out of the vents. i took it to a shop thinking that it might be a resistor, the shop checked that (under the dash, by the way...lol) and told me that water was getting into the blower via a manufactures defect. shop told me that there was a "patch" to fix this problem but cost of parts went from $20 to $300!! has anyone heard of this problem or patch??
  • alice2alice2 Member Posts: 1
    My Mom's 2000 ford taurus is having problems with the AC. It will blow cold air but not through the vents. The dealership said that they would need to take the dash out and look at the air plenum door. This door switchs the airflow to come out the vents. The dealership mentioned that the door may be warped and would need to be replaced. The cost of pulling the dash and then checking to see if the door is the problem or if something else in there is the problem!
  • laredo1laredo1 Member Posts: 2
    I am replacing the spark plugs on my car and I had no problem with the three front ones but I need help on how to reach the back ones. Do I have to remove something to get to them?
  • rellomrellom Member Posts: 10
    Can someone please tell me how to remove the dome light cover on my 2004 taurus sedan. Seems it should just pry off but mine does not want to budge.

Also, if anyone knows how (step by step?) to remove the headliner in order to drill a hole in the roof for an antenna mount I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks
    As stubborn as I am, I messed with the car for about 3 weeks and let it sit here, starring at it for another week before i forced myself to have it towed to the dealer. no one on ANY web site, chat room, radio station, or the local shops who had much more to offer than what i'd already tried myself. the first night at the dealer they tried the usual..."you know what's happening here is...", but anything they tried selling me, i shot down with, "done it", "changed it", "tested it", "tweaked it", or mainly "didn't you say that already?". then they ran out of daylight. the second day, i found out about a recall on this cars' PCM's emissions control system's computer programing. they called me to say in astonishment,"now i can't get the car to not start, so i can't diagnosis it?!?!" i laughed and laughed. "now do you feel me?" i said. "yeah man, it's odd alright" he said. i left it there another night to confirm my disbelief in fords. i called that following day, he said "we didn't get a chance to do anything to it, but today it won't turn over again". i told him to push it out front so i could get it later. after work i got a tow truck there, and as were waiting for the car, a young lot porter drove it out from the garages. i about lost it. the kid simply told me, he just grabbed the keys, jumped in and drove it here. the car has yet to die again the three days it's been home, still with no explanation. i only paid about a third of original est., they reprogrammed the computer from the recall issued, and i'm left with a very logical remark i received from almost everywhere i called for parts or info;"THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR DRIVING A FORD."-nothing more.
    Hello, everyone!

I have a question regarding possibly selling my Taurus. I am interested in something with 30+ MPG since gas prices are outrageous.

I love the car, but was wondering if you all feel I could get a certain amount private sale for the car.

2001 Taurus SES
    73,000 miles
    (4) new tires and alignment
    New front pads and rotors
    New fuel filter
    Fuel system flushed
    Coolant flushed
    New high-quality windshield wipers
    Complete tranny flush w/filter (no tranny problems either)
    Has Vulcan V6
    PERFECT mechanical condition (suspension also checks out well)
    Like new exterior (with exception of a door scrape and clearcoat coming off front bumper)
    Like new interior
    All the power functions work (has power driver's seat and CD player)

Do you think I can get $7000 for it locally (given I detail the car)?

Any info would be appreciated, THANKS!
    - Alex
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Try asking Terry (rroyce10) in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. Be sure to include all the necessary information that is itemized just above the post box. Let us know how it goes.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I think you might be better off to do some math first. I assume you get between 19 and 20 mpg in your Taurus. Let's say you spend 15,000.00 on a new car. I don't know where you live so I will use tax rate where I live.

$15,000 sell price
    1,162.50 tax
    8,662.50 CASH OUT OF POCKET

Gas at $2.20 a Gal at 20mpg at 15,000 (750 gallons used) miles per year=$1,650.00 for gas/yr

NEW CAR
    30mpg at 15,000 (500 gallons used@$2.20 Gal) miles per year = $1,100 for gas/yr
    difference in price of gas used=$550.00

It would take a long time at current gas prices to recoup your cash outlay for a new car.
    IS MY MATH CORRECT? :confuse:
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Here's something I've been saying for years - when I hear people justify their new car purchase by "saving gas"..... You're dead right - it will never pencil.
  • dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Member Posts: 190
    Aw comeon, you guys. The poor person came up with a pretty durned reasonable sounding excuse to get into some new wheels (the American way, afterall!) and here you are messing up the situation with facts! :confuse: And on a car forum too!?! :surprise: You should be ashamed of yourselves... ;)
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "Aw comeon, you guys. The poor person came up with a pretty durned reasonable sounding excuse to get into some new wheels (the American way, afterall!) and here you are messing up the situation with facts! And on a car forum too!?! You should be ashamed of yourselves..."

Hey, I can't talk. I just traded in an '02 Explorer on a '05 4Runner Toyota! :P
  • observer22observer22 Member Posts: 41
    Used autobarn dot com to order Brembo cross drilled rotors for my 2000 Taurus. Brembos dramatically improved braking performance immediately. Gives me the superb braking I enjoyed with a much smaller car. VERY highly recommended.
  • bob75bob75 Member Posts: 6
    I recently got this Taurus and find that the driver side (left) head lamp is Waaay Off. I tried the Owner's manual way of doing it, but it won't budge...Turn the 4mm bolt clockwise is supposed to aim the lamp downward and counterclockwise for upward, but no matter which way I turn, the thing will not change. Does anyone know of this problem, and how do you take out the headlamp assembly to check to see that the mechanism is working right???? Don't wish to buy an overpriced manual on the car as I'm thinking of selling it, but want to make sure it's all OK before selling. Thank you all.......Bob
  • kramer4kramer4 Member Posts: 1
    This car is making a loose clanking noise when i put on the breaks or go over a bump in the road. is this common? what is the cause? and how expensive is this to fix?
    With a Taurus that age, there could be a number of front suspension problems due to wear and tear.

The likely most common with Tauri of that era in general are worn tie rod ends or worn sway bar links, both of which are pretty inexpensive, however no one is going to be able to diagnose this kind of problem via Edmunds. Take it in and get a professional inspection and estimate.
  • oneeyeoneeye Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have the torque specs for the front wheel bearing nut on a 2002 Mercury Sable? thanks Dave
  • knelmsknelms Member Posts: 1
    hoping you might be able to assist.
    I have a 2001 Ford Taurus and the starter appears to have gone bad.
    I need to pull it but would like to have some idea where to locat it and how difficult it is to get too before I venture under the car.
    Tha last time I had to pull a starter I was taking it off of an 85 Mercury Grand Marquis, Easy to get too and not too difficult to remove and replace. I highly doubt that will be the case with this car.

Any pointers you could toss this direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!
    Kathy
This discussion has been closed.