Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S70

Comments

• naganomonaganomo Member Posts: 4
    My "Check Engine" light recently came on. Can anyone tell me how important it is for me to bring this to the shop? It would be difficult to do so. I read the owners manual, which says that the light being on "does not affect driveability", and relates to the emissions control system, but should be checked. I made sure that the gas cap was on properly, so that's not the issue. Thanks.
  • boxer6boxer6 Member Posts: 20
    It is not a major problem. It is an oxygen sensor. It means that either your gas cap is loose or you did not shut the car while gassing up. Your dealer has to reset it but you have to watch how the gas attendants replace the cap when you gt gas.
    In case you were interested in my last post I stated the tranny may have to be replaced. The dealer had the car for three days and said they could not replicate the banging when I swithced the car to reverse. I stressed to the sevice manager that he has to shift several times and assured him it would "bang". Well, he said that he could not duplicate the sound and said he would change the fluid as a precaution - no charge. When I picked up the car my receipt said. "customer states........" "we tried for three days numerous times and could not find a problem"

I went to pick up the car and did not get out of the shadow of the garage door when I decided to see if the problem was remedied. I quickly duplicated the problem, left the car and drove off in the loaner. Can I respond on the official Volvo service records that "customer duplicated the problem in 3 seconds"?

They are very accomodating but the car seems to suck!!!!
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Keep in mind, Dave, that Consumer Reports lists 98 and 99 S70s as used cars to avoid! Btw, I've been a Volvo owner for the past 19 yrs and wouldn't touch any of their recent stuff - S40 and S80 have well-documented problems too! Volvo has really gone downhill the past few years. Is it a coincidence that Ford owns them? I think not.......
  • lurking44lurking44 Member Posts: 8
    One of the lights in my rear cluster intermittently fails. I just bought a '98 S70 T-5 two weeks ago. The bulb is on the right rear cluster and is the outermost bulb that is on when the headlights are on. The "bulb-failure warning" light comes on in the dash. I drive for a while and it starts working again. It fails about 50% of the time when I start the car. But is working by the time I get to my destination about 90% of the time. Is this a electrical short? A loose wire maybe? Anyone else have this problem? Is there a simple fix?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    possibly just a loose bulb. Many times, when I have this problem, I just pull the harness, remove the bulb, make sure the base of the bulb is clean, apply a coat of whatever chemical electrical contact aid I have (I would give a name, but I can't remember what I have and can't find one online at the moment [some kind of copper coating]), and put it back.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• volvoscottvolvoscott Member Posts: 26
    Your intermittent bulb failure is more than likely caused by a faulty parking light bulb in the rear. There are 4 single element bulbs along the top of the tail lights that stay on and they are notorious for shorting out and working intermittently. Do yourself a favor and replace all 4 of these bulbs and go on down the road. While you're in there, check the brake light bulbs. If the globes have a black spot on them, replace them too. They are on the bottom outer corner of the lights.

Scott
  • DelreybirdDelreybird Member Posts: 14
    I am still happy with my 2000 S70 SE GLT. It's the most comfortable, most powerful, most fuel-efficient and smoothest-driving vehicle I've ever had. It's also my third Volvo in 19 years. The first, a 1983 240 wagon with manual transmission, went more than 285,000 miles over more than 15 years, and it's probably still on the road in L.A. The second, a non-turbo '97 850 sedan, which I bought slightly used in Jan. '98, has 69,000 trouble-free miles on it. My wife is driving that one.

Now comes the 2000 S70, which I bought with 12,100 miles on the odometer in May. I've put about 5,500 miles on it since then and here's what's gone wrong:

Turn signal switch failed -- replaced under warranty

Antenna ring in steering column (for encrypted ignition keys) started going bad, making car-starting problematical -- replaced under warranty

Crash-impact sensor for airbags failed -- replaced under warranty

And the latest: Right-rear electric window doesn't work, either from the master switch or the door switch -- it will be fixed under warranty

None of these problems (with the exception of the failing antenna ring) has been disabling, but coming as they have with low miles on the car and in fairly steady succession, they've been disconcerting.

I bought this car based on my experience with my two other Volvos. Maybe I would have gotten something else if I'd researched it. Now however, I just have to hope that I'll be able to find and eliminate all the little gremlins in it before 50,000 miles or 2004, whichever comes first.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    I also posted this in maintenance and repair.

I do not like the newer style Volvo's - they just don't seem like Volvo's to me anymore. Anyway, once I settle on my house in mid-september, I am considering a 2000 model S70. I know that the S70's are really just refined 850's. For a 2k model, all of the bugs should be worked out, correct? The car had basically been produced the same way with the same parts for several years, correct? Also, I know the GLT has more power, but does the turbo mean less reliability? Any advice, things to look out for on low mileage 2000 model S70 or S70 GLT's? Maybe a dealer still has a brand new left over somewhere?
    the turbo does NOT mean less reliability. As long as you take care of it (change the oil regularly and on time, sufficient warm up and cool down time, etc.), then a turbo will last you just as long as an engine or transmission.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

If you can get a good deal on a GLT, go for it. The difference between our non-turbo '97 850 and our "light-turbo" '00 S70 is dramatic. The S70 has terrific acceleration -- and it gets consistently better gas mileage. You won't be sorry.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    Now, when looking at a low mileage S70 (up to 20k miles), are their any questions I should ask? Any components that go bad early on, that I should make sure have already been fixed/replaced?

Also - with the Light Turbo - do you HAVE to use premium unleaded?

Thnx
    Ask about the breaks and rotors. These are not "made to last but made to stop the car efficiently as well as be economically friendly" - a quote from headquarters. The rotors are built to last twice as long as the pads. I my case the fronnt pads were replaced at 13 and again at 28K The second time I went for the rotors. The rear pads lasted to 28K. Take note of the interior door panels. Mine bubbled and had to be replaced. Make sure all recall work was performed. Make sure the car had its 20k service performed.

Good luck.
    Well, it all depends where you buy the car. If you buy from a dealer and its a certified Volvo, then everything is supposed to be taken care of. I just bought a certified '98 T5 and asked about the turn signal lamps that were supposed to be replaced according to a Technical Service Bulletin and I also asked about the 30K mile service (the car I bought had 31K) because its rather expensive to have done. According to them, in order to "certify" a used Volvo, they have to perform all recalls/bulletins and they must perform a full service on the car (mine had new brakes and new tires all around, in addition to the 30K service). And the nice thing about certified is that the full warranty is now 7 years/74K miles from the original date of purchase (I'll hit that 74 mark WAY before the car is 7 years old). 44K mile warranty is better than MANY new cars these days.

Even the T5 manual says that you can use regular gas, but they don't recommend it because the car will run best on 93. I'll probably be using 91.

Good luck.

Justin,
    I use 89-octane gas in my S70 "light turbo" and in my 850 non-turbo. It works fine. Also, I pretty much stick to Chevron, which a couple of dealers have told me is superior to other brands (contrary to the conventional wisdom that all gas is the same).
    Was at the dealer last night looking at 2000 S70s - no mention of that! Std warranty is 4/50K which they did mention....what gives???
  • genghis721genghis721 Member Posts: 53
    All Gas is pretty much the same. Only the additives change. Your major brands (Texaco, Mobil, Exxon, Chevron, etc) put detergents and other additives into the mix to improve engine life and to clean the pipes out, so to speak.

Most (but not all) stations, regardless of brand, get their gasoline from terminals -- the hydrocarbons are the same. They then can pick the additive from additive dispensing units, usually coloacated with the gasoline.
    well, then try a different dealer. Or, just ask. It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't be certified. But, maybe the dealer is just lazy and figures the 2000s don't need certification.

It's August 18. They still have my car (but I have their loaner (heh! heh! heh!). They are still performing diagnostics to determine if it is the tranny. My service rep called me Wednesday to say that they had one more check to perform, then they would order the new tranny. He said that it would take two weeks to get the new one so I should return the loaner and use my car until then. I had planned to hold their car for ransom and say you'll get yours when I get mine when they called but.......it is now Saturday, and I have no idea where they stand because no one has called me!!!

Will I ever get a status call?
    Will my tranny be replaced?
    Will I be driving in their loaner car the next several years?

Tune in next week...........
  • hatemys70hatemys70 Member Posts: 2
    The posters who mentioned the rotten eggs smell and 'check engine' light BEWARE. Sooner or later, you will have a major repair. The rotten eggs smell is early sign of a failing converter if you don't get the oxygen sensors repaired (I'm on my third set now) and other portions of the emissions system at very high cost. Don't bother contacting Volvo customer service. They don't care about their customers, as they've proven to me.
  • dparesdpares Member Posts: 29
    when I make a turn I feel my drivers seat shift in its tracks.. not much but it is noticible.. I have a 2000 S70SE .. anyone here experience that problem.. and if so any fixes?

Thanks
  • volvoscottvolvoscott Member Posts: 26
    The lateral movement of the seat moving back and forth is now fixed using a seat shock. It's placed between the seat and seat frame. There's a service bulletin on it, and your dealer should know about it.

Scott
    Scott

Thanks for the info.. i'll check it out at the next oil change...

Don
    I too have a rotten egg smell in addition to my others on the laundry list. They have changed filters and tell me to swithch to a higher octane after they tell me to use 89. I tried the regional cust service but they just blow smoke up your [non-permissible content removed]!!
    I called them yesterday around 4:30 p.m. since no one called me and the suspense was killing me. Turns out that the tranny was not even ordered yet. There is one more test they had to perform on the trans but they lost the tool and had to order a new one!!! I've lost count but I think they've had the car for over 14 days already and we have not moved forward. I have been driving for 23 years and have never owned a car that has lived this long in the repair shop - COMBINED!!!! If you are looking to buy one of these...................BEWARE
    Day 15. No car, no call and no status.....yet. Anyone want over 21 in the pool?
  • joel2468joel2468 Member Posts: 75
    I had a 1999 Volvo S70. It, too, was undependable, in the shop almost every month. I think the trick with Volvos is to know when to hold em, know when to fold em. The S70 either (a) is good and solid right from the get go, and will last forever or (b) will always be a problem. There is no in between. Even superb dealer service does not make up for time wasted chasing problems with these cars. I am not writing to bash Volvo. I really liked my S70, but traded it last December for a Toyota Avalon. The Volvo was better in some ways, but overall the Avalon is a much better car than the S70, and I think, S60. I've got 9,000 miles on the Avalon, 3 oil/filter changes, AND THAT IS ALL. No blown lights or fuses, great mileage (in town 23, on the road 30), quiet, runs and handles the same every time I drive it (wish I could have said that about the S70). I would like to be able to consider an S80 in the future, but not until Volvo fixes the problems with its cars, dealers, and customer service.
  • albert123albert123 Member Posts: 71
    My 98 S70 GLT is probably on the good side of your post -- solid, good engine. But it still got all the small problems(bulbs, gauges....). The latest incident just completely turned me off. The driver side's window switch burned while the window was in down position when the 4-year warranty expired a few days ago. Obviously I had to get it fixed before I could go anywhere. The dealer wouldn't honor the warranty and wanted me to leave the car there for a couple days without offering me a loaner(not in warranty). I ended up going to a nearby shop for the fix. Calling the customer service of Volvo North America yielded the same attitude as the dealer's. This is probably my last Volvo(thanks to the competitions) even though I like the new models especially the upcoming V70R and S60R.
    So, in my last call on 8/21 I was told the tool to measure the pressure in the trans was lost and would be in on 8/22. So, you guessed it, no one called me on 8/22. I waited until 4:30 8/23 for a call and finally called them. I was told the part is on bac order and would take 3 WEEKS!!! I was told to return the loaner and pick up the car until the part arrives. I told my "rep" that if he was trying to tell me that I would not see a fix for 5 weeks(3 for the part, 2 for the trans) I am not returning the loaner. I get a call back and was told they will call other dealers in the area for the part. I'm beyond livid at this point.

KISS MY [non-permissible content removed] VOLVO!!!
    There HAS to be someone, somewhere that likes their S70.

Actually mine is semi-ok..been to the dealer ALOT for bulbs, warning lights and one no-start..(of course couldnt be replicated or fixed)..but when it runs right its a beautiful car!

well took it on a long vaca trip yesterday..30 minutes into the trip, the check engine light comes on.. (was on months ago and apparently fixed as it was faulty)..well, started smelling rotten eggs in the car...

anyone have THAT problem... oh, posted recently that my drivers seat feel like its shifting in its tracks..someone posted back that there is a dealer fix for it...an interesting car to own.. so far my 2000 Honda civic EX coupe just has oil changes...a dull car..no fun problems to figure out...:)

Thanks!

Don

2000 S70SE
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Sounds like your oxygen sensor and/or catalytic converter has gone caput. Both of those failings would set off the check engine light and cause the smell.
    Got in the car today.. and.. the check engine light didn't come on!. .. definitely a ghost in this machine!

the adventure continues!
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    You need to contact the State Attorney General to determine if the dealer holding the car for as long as they have falls under the Lemon Law. I am not sure where you live, but here in Texas if the car is in the shop for more than 3 weeks and for the same problem it is a lemon. The dealership maybe attempting to get you to take the car back to dodge this rule, if it is in the books in your state.

If these problems have been occurring since the vehicle was acquired, I would make an attempt to not only contact the regional Volvo Customer Care line but the national office and the office in Sweden by mail. This is a serious issue.

If Volvo reading this post, SHAME ON YOU!
    Thanks for the advice. I will check the lemon law in New York. I do not have a reoccurring problem but the three week rule is close. I wonder if the three week violation includes down-time, e.g., poor troubleshooting and delays in parts etc. I am out of luck on the lemon law. It's good for 2 yrs, 18K. I'm in this pig for 2 1/2 years. I did speak to the regional office but they are a joke. They are like talking to robots. Their answers are pre-programmed-how-to-deal-with-angry-customer responses. I will persue your advice. It's just I do not have time at work to sustain an attack. Also, thanks to all others for your input.

I was told today they have the part to check the pressure on the trans and they will check it by Monday. In any event, they are not getting the loaner until they fix the car.

I am disgusted and want out of this abusive relationship. Anyone want to buy a used Volvo w/ only 28K, dealer (dis)serviced? :)
    OK. So it's Monday. As much as I was tempted to call I waited..........and waited........and waited. End of day.........no call. I will wait to see when they decide to give me an update. No rush though. They've only had my car since August 7th.
  • cparker898cparker898 Member Posts: 9
    Sorry to hear all the problems. I have a 2000 S70 GLT SE that has been relativiley trouble free. I did have to have the front turn signals replaced under recall, the hazard/turn signal switch broke, but none of these required any overnights at the garage. I'm still happy with the car though does not feel as 'solid' as the Mercedes I owned before. Will I get another Volvo? Hard to say, but probably leaning towards a BMW 5 series.
    I did not receive a call today. So....I was told on Friday, the car would be checked on either Saturday or Monday. Today is Tuesday and no one has called me.

Sorry to clog the board but this is therapeutic as well as a good way to warn others to be wary. I realize my case is extreme but this (s70) board is more of a gripe forum, clearly indicative of the car's performance. Check other vehicles and you will see that mechanical problems are not the main topic.
    Got a call yesterday. The test was performed but they were not ready to order new transmission. They said it was the computer that tells the tranny to shift. Today it was put in but it did not do the trick! So they are ordering a new tranny. Should be in next week when I'll be celebrating a month without my car. Food for thought...if the car was not uder warranty when would the decision to replace the tranny have been made? I'm sure if I was paying it would have been replaced by now.
    I had a problematic S70 also. If you can afford it, it sounds like its time for a new car. What will absolutely shock you (if you can be shocked at all at this point) is, if you're interested in buying a new Volvo, what they'll offer you on a trade in. AND, what they'll try and charge you for a new one. You will find you'll get a better trade from Carmax. I hung in as long as I could with an undependable, finnicky, S70... apparently, the type of behavior that delights people on the Brickboard. As I have written before in this forum, I will always remember the S70 fondly (when it ran well, which wasn't often, it ws great). I have a Toyo Avalon now. In some ways it is not the car the S70 was, BUT in so many other ways it is far better. At least it starts everytime!
    Unfortunately, I already know what they'll offer. 16K on a 21/2 year old car with an original sticker of over $36K. They really hold their value.

So let's recap: The cars run like crap and they depreciate faster than a portfolio loaded with tech stocks. Oh, and I forgot, they treat theircustomers like shills by manufacturing inferior parts that need to be replaced 4X as much as NORMAL parts (I'm talking about their 13K mile/28K mile break pads/rotors).

I've owned several used cars and I've never had an experience like this. I would plunk down 30-35K on a used lexus before I buy another Volvo.
    Actually, I won't be buying a Volvo EVER!!!!
    I picked up the car today with the new tranny and computer module. So, I start shifting.....and you guessed it..BANG. I wasa told I was shifting too fast and that 1998 s70's have a different linkage system than newer s70s. I was told to try to duplicate the problem with another s70. I could not but the action on the console appeared to be difficult to get out of park. I was told they did everything they could.

I agreed to take the car home and drive it for a few days. Maybe it's me. I will say one thing..positive believe t or not. After driving the loaner for a month (2001 Accord) you cannot even compare the two. The volvo is a solid auto and quiet. I did miss it. Then again, maybe I'm developing an abused customer syndrome.

Anyway, that's it for now.
  • lowflyerlowflyer Member Posts: 5
    I left for three weeks and returned to a flat battery. I know the alarm uses power but just milliamps. Nothing else was left on except I noticed the rear fog light switch was on. I believe the lights would have to be on for it to drain power. Are Volvo bateries really that poor? Car has less than 8000 Miles. Will Volvo replace it free of charge?
    Your comments please.
    Yes, Volvo should replace your battery under warranty, free of charge. Mine lasted about 2 yrs - even the Volvo service people said the batteries that come with a new Volvo are not that good! Have heard of similar problems with Saabs, for example, so don't think it's limited to just Volvos...
  • lowflyerlowflyer Member Posts: 5
    One cell in the battery was shot, VOLVO freebie on WARRANTY. 45 minutes at the dealer (SCOTTI in Montreal) and then back to work in time for for coffeebreak.
    Sometimes it works out OK !
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ....but I'm here to announce the new Volvo Owners club now available on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Sedans.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    Hi, I have the opportunity to buy a '98 s-70 base auto w/30K off of my aunt's lease (she's buying a BMW 325 wagon for the dog). The buyout is $13K. Is this a good deal? Edmunds lists trade on this car as about $18-19K but I am wary of the problems I've read about. I don't think she has had many problems with it and it has always been dealer serviced. Or I could just keep my '89 240 w/ 126K and broken A/C!
    If you buy the 98 S-70, better keep the 89 240...as a spare.
  • naganomonaganomo Member Posts: 4
    I think you should buy the car. The price is excellent, and you know the previous owner (and how well she cared for the car). I've had my '98 S70 for 8 months now and have had only very minor issues with it (two bulbs and a check engine light). There have been some real problems posted here, but I think there are a lot of happy S70 owners out there as well.

Even if you don't want the car, I'd exercise the purchase option because you could probably resell it for more, depending on the factory options you have.
    keep in mind CR rates them as "used cars to avoid" due to electrical and brake problems....
  • rickpctrickpct Member Posts: 71
    Looking at a used S70 purchase and wanted to get feedback from S70 owners that have owned other volvos in the past - 850's and 740's. I have sensed that the S70 is a somewhat problematic car, but I also wanted to know if you think the S70 is a solid build car that will be durable over a 10-12 year period.

I currently own a 1991 740 - with 126K miles - it's rock solid - yes it's had some occasional problems but it is solid and i know I can get 250K miles on it.

Any input/insight appreciated.