Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    CTS is basically ready for production. It was revealed at the auto shows before Lutz came on board. So if it is true that he can make them modify the CTS just like that, gives me hope that he will be able to improve the GP.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I actually think that it's impossible to change CTS' front end. The car has already been presented to the public and pre-production units have already been sent to the press for evaluation. Unless it's easier than I imagine to stop the train once it's moving... ;^)
  • matty22matty22 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. I am probibly going to get into a 99 or 00 GTP. I havent decided on the 2 door or 4 door. I need some opinions from owners of the GTP. Does anyone have any complaints? Is there way too much torque steer? I currently have an AWD Talon. I am pleased with the car (I can really rip around in the snow). The performance is good, (i kicked the [non-permissible content removed] out of my buddies 98 GTP, but absoultly love his car). I live in Minnesota, so would also like to know how the GTP handles under bad road conditions. Please give me your input on this beautiful car, and give me your opinions on the 2 vs 4 door.
    Thanks alot
    Matt
    GTP is great. Torque steer is very little, surprisingly so. Even when GTP first came out, the reviewers noted how little torque steer it had, considering the power of the engine.

Please tell us how you managed to beat your buddy's GTP. Was he going in reverse at the time?
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Although I no longer own a Grand Prix, I can tell you that my 2000 GT was a perfect car. I only traded it because I wanted a Jeep Wrangler and couldn't have both.

I had the four door and was never sorry that I chose that over a two door. The Grand Prix is the only car that I can think of that looks just as good or even better in the four door version vs. the two door. I would definitely get the four door again if I were to get another Grand Prix. (And I WOULD be getting another Grand Prix, if I were going to buy a car.)

The convenience of the four door is immeasurable vs. the two door, but I put looks at the top of the priority list. If I thought the two door looked better, that's what I would have gotten, despite the inconvenience. Fortunately, you can have both the convenience and the good looks with the Grand Prix four door sedan.

That baby of mine was the only car that I have owned (and there have been MANY) that never had to go back to the dealer for any kind of warranty repairs or adjustments. I put almost 20K miles on mine, and never had the first problem with it. I only traded it in because I wanted a Jeep so bad.

I don't know where else you would get the looks, the performance, the fuel economy, the comfort, the trunk space, the dependability, etc. of a Grand Prix for anywhere near the same amount of money. They are great cars!

tom
  • smily1smily1 Member Posts: 104
    I owned a 97 gtp two door. We bought it one week before we found out my wife was pregnant. One year later we traded it in for a 4 door Explorer. Just last month we bought a 99 gtp in the 4 door. I love it. Its easier opening your door in the garage or in a parking lot since the drivers door is shorter on the 4 door model (you are less likely to hit something when opening). Passengers will also thank you.
  • gweilogweilo Member Posts: 118
    Any problems with this car? I've been looking at the Impala but there seems to be some problems with the intermediate steering shaft and the aluminum engine cradle.
    I realize no car is perfect.
    What are the known issues with the GPGT?
  • rmyers76rmyers76 Member Posts: 34
    18K miles on my 2000 GT and still happy. Good acceleration and good ride quality. Just took a 400 mile trip each way last weekend and hit 29.5 MPG average.

Problems: I have had is the automatic temperature control system. There was one of the icons blinking on and off strangely. The system worked but it was annoying and is under warranty so they replaced the unit.

The second problem I have had is that the sunroof is a little noisy. When I hit bumps, I hear squeaks from the sunroof. I haven't had the dealer check this out yet.

Overall, fairly minor problems.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    You can tell from my post #1256 above that I was totally happy with my 2000 GT as far as the car itself. I only traded it because I wanted a Jeep so bad.

All I can tell you beyond what I said in that post is that it seemed that almost everyone that was posting in here was also very happy with their GP's. There were almost no negative posts by owners of Grand Prix's! That ought to tell you something! You can go to almost any other discussion for a particular vehicle and find a large percentage of the posts to be negative. That sure was not the case here when I was actively involved in this discussion.

I would definitley get another GT or maybe even a GTP if I were going to buy another car!

I have had my little Jeep Wrangler for a year now, and I am very happy with it. I still wish I could have had the Jeep and kept the Grand Prix, but there was no way.

Hope this helps.

tsjay
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    I had the same problem recently with my Regal GS. The squeaking occured with the sunroof closed and heard when the sunshade was open.

What cured the problem was a silicone base rubber compound that was liberally applied to the outer weather stripping. As explained to me, although not necessary visible, the outer black weather stripping can be dried and cracked. By applying the rubber compound (comes in a vaseline-like tube for $6.95) over the outer stripping, this solved my squeaking problem.

The mechanic at the dealership gave me the compound and told me to apply it every six months. For the past 4 months, haven't heard a squeak! Hope this helps!!
  • greywolfgreywolf Member Posts: 51
    I heard that Lutz made some revisions to the next grand prix. The spy shots I saw were also horrible quality, but they didn't give good impressions initially - especially the front and rear.
    Does anyone know the mpg loss (if any) with dropping pulley size to 3.4"? Dose a 3.4" pulley size require octane higher than 91?

thanks
  • sibbasibba Member Posts: 1
    Iam looking to buy a new car in the Spring, and can't decide what to get. I've been looking into Nissan-Maxima or new Altima only becauseI'd like something different. BUT I must say i have been VERY happy with my 93 Grand Prix so maybe I should stick to it. I still drive my 93- it has 85,000 miles and i am keeping it for my son who is 16. Great car- still rides nice-- never any major problems, so maybe I will get a new one!!!!
    I've driven the new Altima extensively this past weekend and it is a terrrrrific car! Its a good thing that Nissan decided to 'upscale' the Maxima with items such as GPS/navigation because no doubt that the 3.5 ltr Altima will take sales away from the Maxima SE & GLE. The car is a gret handler for its size and power The ride is stiffer then my 2000 Regal GS and the back seat is, as expected, kinda small. In fact, compared to my Regal, the front feels a bit cramped.

For its size, the Altima is great. As for price, it can easily get near $30K should you get the car loaded. Is it worth the price? I think its priced too high, but it depends what you're comparing it to. If you want room, power and a better ride, the SC Grand Prix/Regal (or Maxima) is the choice. If you like a more compact design, fresher interior/exterior and designed to take corners, the Altima is worthy of a look...and of a higher insurance premium.
    Having seriously considered the new Altima, I was turned off by its cheap interior materials (hard plastic in the dashboard and all around; vinyl-like leather), the weird body angles (particularly the ugly tail lights) and, of course, the price.

Just my $0.02...
    yeah I looked at the Altima and the Maxima. Ended up with an Acura TL-S :)

Maxima was nice but I did not like the beam rear axle. And I personally did not like the design of the gauges.

Altima is pretty expensive, does not come with ABS ot TCS standard. Plus the interior materials are a bit cheesy.

I would have easily gone for another GTP or 300M but figured, hey let's see for myself what all those Acura freaks are so extatic about.
    Plus there a a couple of things on the GTP that used to annoy me - slow power windows and dim headlights. 300M does not accelerate under 7 seconds and the tranny is not always smart.
    The TL-S is a great choice. Only the CL-S was available when I bought my Regal GS. It would have been a more difficult buying decision should the TL-S had been available. But to this day, as much as I like the entire Acura line, I don't think I could justify the additional $8,000+ the TL-S costs over the Regal GS. The only item I miss not having is the navigation system. But I could buy a few maps for the money I saved :)

On a separate topic, anyone catch the news of the delay of the next generation Grand Prix/Regal?! More info can be found at <http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=4485&sid=173&n=156>

the trick is the lease. After 4 years the TL-S is still projected to retain 54% of its value. That makes leasing it very attractive. Last time I lease a Grand Prix GTP, I payed very similar numbers to what I am paying now for the TL-S.

If you buy, I guess... well, I would have not been able to afford financing a TL-S.

And with GTPs around here, they did not seem to discount them too much. MSRP is 28K+, pretty close to TL-S's going price. A few dealers told me 3% over invoice, but stil it's not a great discount.

That Regal/Grand Prix delay in the news is probably good news. They must be trying to make them look better than the original 2004 designs.
    Lutz has cut the Bengal?
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I wonder what the delays are about? Are they re-doing the exterior or the interior?

My guess is Lutz wants a more refined interior on the car which will be all good. I had a GP before my current Intrigue and the weak point IMO was the dash which was a little too plasticy. Given the Intrigue is in it's final year, the 04/05 GP better be good if GM wants to keep my business. I have good feelings about this delay and since I won't need a new car till at least 2006, time isn't an issue for me.
  • scorpiogtscorpiogt Member Posts: 2
    This is an excellent vehicle. The GTP is stellar. For the level of trim that you get for the price, it is hard to beat. Its good looking and performs like a champ. The Maximas and Camry can't touch it for outright performance. There are no midsize sedans that I can think of that offer so much for the price. I love the heads up display feature. My only concern with the vehicle is the crash safety ratings. They need to be better. A car this fast needs safety. Having the OnStar for free is good but its not going to heal injuries that could be prevented. Also, at least make available side air bags for the front and rear.
    Crash tests could be better BUT, I totalled my Grand Prix almost 2 years ago (someone ran a red in front of me) and I can honestly say that my wife and I were completely uninjured and the car crumpled and protected us as we should. Crash tests are something to consider, but they only measure a specific situation. GP is rated overall acceptable for crashes and I think given my experience, it is stellar!
    Someone in one of these forums made the point that laboratory crash tests are a good indicator of crash worthiness, but definitely not the last word about it. If one considers real world statistics, the GP fares better than average (see this).
  • blueturtleblueturtle Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone is aware of any transmission problems on this year GP. I have 112k miles on my car. When it shifts from 3rd to overdrive it jerks a few times until I am no longer accelerating. Please help.
  • ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    All, just popped in from the Intrigue newsgroup, where there is an active discussion on an issue that most are having with the car:

Headlites flicker and/or dim many time, typically
    more so it seems when its cold out, while driving.
    A TSB (out since last Feb.) to replace an alternator with a redesign has failed in most owners cases to fix it.

Since the car is built in the same factory as the GP (Fairfax KS), some over from the Intrigue group were wondering if any of you GP owners had this ailment ever?

Thanks and Happy New year to you all!
  • intense01intense01 Member Posts: 107
    Hello everyone, and Happy New Year!

This is my first time checking out the Grand Prix topic here, so I thought I'd comment on a few of the last hundred or so posts...

First, for all the people questioning where Performance Shift went for newer cars... This feature still exists in the PCM, but there is no longer a wire or a switch to enable this digital input. You can add the Performance Shift to your new Grand Prix with one wire and a simple switch. Check out ClubGP and search for 'shift' to find the thread.

Second, I saw a few posts about whether or not a smaller pulley will decrease gas mileage. The answer is absolutely. Technically speaking it shouldn't, but when you add 15 to 25 horsepower to your car in two hours, you can't help but drive it quite a bit harder...

Third, you should ALWAYS run 92 or higher octane in your GTP. If you go to a smaller pulley, I believe this is paramount.

Fourth, I recently designed a Limited Slip Differential for our cars. I can't seem to shorten the link enough for Edmunds to let me post it, so you'll have to search for 'differential' on GlubGP. Anyway, I thought some of you would be interested to know there IS a cure for torque steer in our cars.

Scott A. Cook
    Westerville OH
    2000 SSEi
    13.438 @ 101.89 (2.013 60' time)
    You have answered some of my questions and I thank you. Do you have a link to specific octane requirements for a 3.5" or 3.4" pulleys? I do realize that the smaller you go the more compression you have and the higher the octane needed to avoid detonation. I live on the CA coast where all I can find is 91 octane. If I can't run a 3.4" or a 3.5" on 91 then I will not change it.
  • intense01intense01 Member Posts: 107
    You should still be able to get some nice gains from a 3.50" pulley on 91 octane premium fuel. I would recommend going to spark plugs one heat range colder than stock (try Autolite 605 or NGK TR55IX), and also swapping your thermostat out to a 180 degree design.

Good luck!

Scott
    Thanks for the info. I will install either an SLP or Thrasher air system, trans cooler, then a pulley.
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    My wife's GTP had this issue. It was fixed under warranty by replacing the alternator, as mentioned. This fixed the problem.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Yep, the 1997 were first year production cars. Exactly 5 years old.
    My 98 GTP had a broken steering rack one time. It was replaced under warranty. I think a few other GPers had the same issue.
  • rmyers76rmyers76 Member Posts: 34
    Hi,
    I scrolled back thru a few hundred messages but didn't see anything about towing so please excuse me if its been covered already.

What type of experiences have you people had towing with your GPs? I would be towing a 1700# boat and trailer. I have a 2000 GP GT so the power shouldn't be an issue.

I want to avoid towing if possible, but if my truck dies before I have enough money for a replacement I could be stuck doing it. Any recommendations for heavy duty rear suspension and towing kits?
    Actually, I *think* towing capacity is limited to 1,000 lbs. I believe my 2000 Regal GS is limited to that weight.
  • bigcheezbigcheez Member Posts: 11
    Hello,
    It has been a while since I have posted any messages on any groups. Purchased a 2002 GP GT end of December and I LOVE IT. The only drawback, is the cool color, blue-black, really shows the dirt. (as all dark cars do). I would highly recommend this car to anyone thinking of purchasing it. Still learning what can be changed to suite my driving needs. So if anyone has this car and has found something really great to change please let me know. So far the only thing I want to change is when the doors lock and unlock.

The last Pontiac I owned was 6 years ago, a firebird. Will check out the site periodically for car info.
  • ottawaguyottawaguy Member Posts: 15
    Hey, folks - long time fan of the GP, and trying to get my mind around buying one. Problem is convenience - got a coupe (Saturn) and looking for a complementary second vehicle that has A/C, more interior room, more cargo space, and would be used by the wife if/when maternity leave rolls around. Toying with an SUV, but would really like to justify not spending the extra $$$ on a jacked-up station wagon. My question: Do you find your GP's have room for cargo? Any regrets (no matter how small) in not getting a larger vehicle (assuming you don't also have one)? For those in more northern climes, do you find the traction control system good one ice/snow? How about deep, unplowed areas (some I have to contend with up here in the Great White North)? I have read stories about GP's pulling 4X4 SUV's out of ditches in winter - but is this a feasible option?

Thanks for any help!!
    The wife has a gp - and we have a two month old she carts around in it. The trunk is quite large, at the expense of some rear seat leg room - works well for carting around baby stuff with enough room left over for a car seat in the rear. The vehicle is fairly wide, too, making it possible to seat an averaged sized passenger quite comfortably next to a center mounted car seat in the rear. Obviously you'd want the 4 door, not the 2 door, for getting the car seat in and out. We don't have any regrets in not getting a larger vehicle - as I said, the trunk is big, or at least big enough.

As far as driving in snow, we put winter tires on it and have no problems getting around. We live in the Colorado front range (Denver area) - don't have to contend with deep snow very often, though. I do have to say that I'm dissapointed with how the traction control functions. Typically I find that I've reacted to the wheels slipping before it does.

Hope this helps!
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    The GPs deep snow performance is no worse than any other front driver. It is average. The traction control helps but cannot overcome the disadvantage of the wide tires and low ground clearance.

Deep unplowed conditions have stopped my GP.

Dedicated snow tires that are skinnier than the 225/60/16 OEM size will help alot.

The trunk is a very good size and I constantly surprize my wife with how much I can pack in it for trips.
  • ken1776ken1776 Member Posts: 41
    Drove home from Mass to R.I. during fourth quarter of Pats-Oakland game. First time for our GP in the snow, did OK but snow was not seriously deep. Also someone posted earlier about headlight flickering problem, anyone have this problem fixed, my dealer could find nothing wrong, problem is getting worse, interior lights also flicker now.
  • stststststst Member Posts: 1
    hey guys , i'm looking to buy a used GP but couldn't find anyone i know who owns one. question , i'm looking at a 98 GT , anything i should look for or be concerned about with the cars durability? thanks for any help
    You might want to check out www.grandprix.net for more gp info, including the section on gp problems.
  • sailesaile Member Posts: 25
    Has any Grand Prix owner experimented with changing the headers??? I'm considering The Other Guy Headers for my Regal...Any thoughts on the subject???
    You too may want to check out www.grandprix.net. It has a section on uprgrades. Don't recall if headers are there, but maybe.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    http://media.gm.com , http://www.autoweek.com , http://www.autonews.com

Check out the Chicago Auto Show info on the G-Force show car
    04 Grand Prix looks very good. Hopefully the interior will not disappoint.

Anyone know when this car will be out?
    Did you notice the 2003 Grand Am SCT next to the new GP? At first I got excited - GM produced a show car "what if" model of a supercharged Grand AM, called the SCT, a few years ago. Quite a hot little car - complete with significant engine and suspension upgrades. Looking at the references above, though, looks like this SCT is just a Grand Am with appearance upgrades - no performance upgrades mentioned. GM has a habit of hinting at new performance and appearance upgrades, then just giving the appearance upgrades to the production version. I hope that's not the case for the SCT, though.
    Looks good. I'm glad to here of a continued supercharged engine option. If they could make it handle as well as it accelerates, that would be great: what is meant by a "beefed-up suspension" - hopefully it means significantly more sporting suspension.
This discussion has been closed.