Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• sola2000sola2000 Member Posts: 6
    I recently purchased a new family sedan. Before purchasing the car, I did a lot of research and extensivley test drove many cars, both domestics and imports. I drove the Chevrolet Impala, Dodge Stratus and Intrepid, Ford Taurus, Honda Accord, Mitsubishi Galant, Nissan Altima and Maxima, Pontiac Bonneville and Grand Prix, Saturn LS, Toyota Camry and the Volkswagen Passat.

After driving all those cars I would say, without question, the imports are far superior to the domestics. I remember driving the Grand Prixand then going to the Toyota dealer, driving the Camry and being shocked at how much smoother, more refined and better designed and engineered it is than the Pontiac or any of the domestics.

My favorite out of all cars I drove? It was the Passat. I thought it provided the best driving experience. There really is something to that German heritage. The car I actually bought? My second favorite. A 2002 V6 Honda Accord. Why? I keep my cars a long time and I just didn't trust VW's long term reliability. I know with a Honda or Toyota product one is virtually assured bullet proof quality and reliability for years and years, and hundreds of thousands of miles. In the final analysis that still can't be said for American or German cars.
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    In general, I agree with your assessment of domestic vs import. But, a thing to keep in mind is priorities are relative person to person. For example, yes the Passat is refined, rides nicely, built with some nice materials, etc. I find it totally uninspiring, though. Same for the Accord and Camry. All three are too softly sprung, too numb for me, too detached from the road. If I owned any, I'd fall asleep at the wheel for sure. ;-)

Just one person's perspective, of course. Others value reliability less because they only keep for a few years, some have personal ties to a company, etc.

I hope you enjoy your Accord.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    You saw the actual new for 2004 Grand Prix? Or are you talking about the G-Force "concept" Grand Prix that's been out since February? Where'd you see the car?
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    'better' category. I was really shocked by the mediocre interior (even compared to the GP). The driving dynamics were ho-hum but then it smacked of a 10 year old, out dated design (but in reality only a year old).
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I guess you did not have a chance to get acquainted with Grand Prix GTP?
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    This is my first post in this discussion group. Somebody in the Buick Regal group posted this:

"#1924 of 1924 verdi942 by vcjumper Jul 28, 2002 (06:24 pm)

The next Grand Prix has a more tuned version of the 3800SC motor and is supposed to get 280hp/280lb ft. Details are on Pontiac's site. The next Regal may end up with this motor too. It is going to be 2005 before the next Regal though, since Lutz vetoed the proposed '04 one."

Does anyone know which Pontiac site this post is referring to? I understand the Buick Regal GS is the sister car to the Gran Prix GTP. Why would GM replace the L-67 engine with one that already generates the SAME torque (280 ft-lbs)? You can already increase HP (to ~280) by installing a smaller SC pulley and an intercooler. A K&N air filter and other mods will also create more HP.
    http://www.pontiac.com/pontiacjsp/grandprix/gforce/main.html?source=pontev

Why "replace" the engine when you can do what you describe? Who said anything about an engine replacement? Reading between the lines of what little info Pontiac offers, it sounds like it is just exactly what the post you quote says - a more tuned version of the 3800SC. They probably just freed up some horsepower with better air flow, just as you note existing owners can already do.

• montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/transmissions/4t65_main.htm

Check out maximum torque capabilities. Thats why.
  • smily1smily1 Member Posts: 104
    I believe the power increase is due to a blower upgrade from an Eaton M-90 to M-112. Nothing else changed on the motor.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I wonder if they are improving the tranny in any way (giving it an extra gear or making it more robust to handle the extra power).
    I see what you mean. The maximum torque for the 4T65E is 280 ft-lbs. So why are they bumping up the HP to 280? Do they hope to produce better 0-60 and 1/4 mile times? I always thought that TORQUE is what produced low end grunt, not HP. I would think they'd need an even stronger version of the 4T65E.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Why are they bumping up the HP to 280? My guess is because the can. It makes it look like progress. Dosen't add much cost.
    I wish they'd beef-up/upgrade that tranny. It's the weak point holding the car and its sister cars back. Remember the supercharged show car predecessor to the 97 GP? around 300 hp and torque to match. Pontiac said it would have to bring that down for the production car because of the tranny.

On a similar note, I've already had the tranny on my 99 GTP rebuilt (at about 32,000 miles). Perhaps they should upgrade the tranny even if they don't up the torque! :-(

FYI - adding a tranny cooler and switching to synthetic ATF will help and is a good idea for anyone making any serious power mods such as a smaller SC pulley.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    My brother in law just bought a used 99 GTP with about 60000 kms on it. So far he loves it but the front headlights look kind of rough. What I mean is, the plastic seems to have yellowed and headlights don't seem very crisp in terms of light coming out of them. Is this normal or was this perhaps because of abuse?

He is thinking of replacing them and is looking at options. Any suggestions?
    You might have him look at the clear corners on ebay.
    The headlights on the Grand Prix are not very bright even when they are new.
    A lot of people over at the Impala discussion group are whinning about the new 2004 Impala SS only getting the L-67, instead of a new V8 with RWD. They should be very happy to finally get this great engine! Chevy tried to fit a detuned LS1 in the engine bay, but it was too cramped. I love my Regal GS. I think GM will have to develop a new motor for the Pontiac GTP and Regal GS to compete with Chevy.
    Thanks. I've noticed the lights on out Alero are much nicer. Considering the Alero is a much less expensive car, I think the GP engineers need to fix this.
    carbon metallic brake pads aren't much better than OEM pads. They don't offer much of a gain in braking performance. Someone also said that they put out a lot of brake dust too.

Oh well, if they are only as good as OEM I'll settle for that since the OEMs went 50K miles.
  • moondawgmoondawg Member Posts: 24
    Hi.I've been looking around for an all around car,something with four doors,since I have a Toyota Solara,and I need more room.I spotted a used GP at a dealers lot.It's a 2000 model,dark blue,(I think it was,since it was nighttime when I saw it).I think it has the 3800 with supercharger.52000 miles on it.Is it worth it?
    I am on my secound GP GTP. First was a 97 2-door. Bought that a week before we found out we were going to have a baby. Traded it in for an exploder. Just last year we bought our secound 1999 GTP 4-door for 15k. Love these cars. My wife loves them as much as I.

To answer your question I would say it all depends on the price, but yes...I think its worth it. But for peace of mind I always recommend an extended warranty for newer "used" cars.

I also modified mine to about 300hp! weeeeeeeeeee!
  • moondawgmoondawg Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for your input.I went back there today(the dealers'lot).It's a GTP with 52000+ miles on it.They're asking $14,995,and I saw a advertised price 0f $13,995.
    ALso,is there anything I should be wary of,since there is a supercharger?Any special care I should know?
    Check the oil level of the supercharger. It should be up to the bottom of the threads on the allen bolt. Although dealerships recommend topping it off I would suggest changing it with 52000 on the car. Prepare for a stench if you do. That stuff stinks! Thats all the special stuff you need to know about. Not much to worry about with these cars.

I think you can negotiate $12,000 for the car. Maybe 12,800 with extended warranty. I had 18,000 miles on my car when I bought it.

Have fun!
  • kelliekdenneykelliekdenney Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my GTP about six months ago and I've had a couple of what I consider to be major problems. It had approx. 60K on it when I bought it and it was in pristine condition. Completely loaded with 10 disk cd changer in the trunk, sunroof, leather seats with the drivers heated. I had an issue with my transmission a couple of months ago and was able to get it repaired without having to replace it. The most recent issue was my rack & pinion went out which cost me $600.00. I still feel something not right in the steering wheel or column when I'm turning but no one can tell me what it is. I know its there. It is not cv joints because its not an actual knocking but its like a knot or something. Anyone else had this problem?
    You might check out the problems page at:

www.grandprix.net

Haven't had the steering problem you describe, but did have tranny probs. Good luck. It's a fun car when it's running properly, eh?
  • kelliekdenneykelliekdenney Member Posts: 2
    I had a trany problem as well, what was the problem you had with yours?
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Here's the latest spy pics of the new 2003 GP:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5220&sid=178&n=156

• iambellsiambells Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 2002 GP GT. We love it, except for the stereo. I realize that factory systems are very seldom impressive (although my husband has a 98 Explorer with the stereo upgrade and it sounds great), but we even purchased the Bose speakers option. The radio sounds a little fuzzy, almost like there's background noise, and even CDs sound like they're being played in a hallway, with clear highs, but almost nothing in the mid- and low-ranges. We're disappointed. It's possible that maybe we're doing something wrong, but I don't know what. Any suggestions?
    It's possible something is wrong. I have heard Bose systems in the Intrigue and they sound great. That said, if you are a real audiophile perhaps you are looking for more than what a Bose system will give you.

---

beach15 : Great looking 2004 GP. Apparently it should be here middle of next year.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Bose systems are not going to give you thumping bass. In general, they will provide a very clear, clean sound. The old saying is "No highs, no lows, must be Bose".

Have the dealer check it out, but be prepared that there may not be anything wrong with the system.

--Robert
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    Like hammen2 points out the bose system will bring out clear clean sounds but in a small area like the inside of an auto you can't really get the concert hall sound like their indoor systems. I was unimpressed with the bose in my 2000 GTP. The power is also limited and this won't allow one to drive the upper/lower spectrum. The bose on my 2001 Denali is quite a bit better but it has a subwofer in the back and much more open space.

I saw some drawings of the new GP, much cleaner than the old and current. Nice looking car and I understand a bit more HP. I'm struggling to decide on making a screaming deal on a 2002, wait for the new GP or go after one of the new GTOs due out next year!
  • 1ovrzro1ovrzro Member Posts: 7
    I had a 1995 Aurora with the Bose stereo, currently a 2001 I30T with it and now a recent 2002 GTP coupe with the Bose. The Bose in the I30T hands down sounds the best & Loudest out of those 3 cars. I know Infiniti actually tells you the Power rating which is 200 watts. Aurora and GP do not tell you how many watts the amp can put out. I'm wondering if the GM Bose systems just have a WEAKER amp then say the Nissan/Infiniti systems? That could be why. I have had aftermarket Kenwood systems that MUCH sound better then the Stock GM Bose systems. You are right, the Bose has limited lows, even with the acoumast subwoof in my I30T, I have had regular 6x9's put out just as much bass as that so called subwoofer. The high's are acceptable, the bass is not.
    You people who put in the K&N air filters - any perceived improvement in mid to upper end engine breathing?
    I have replaced my entire factory air box with a Fenderwell 12" K&N cone intake. I noticed quite a gain due to the free flowing cold air. I also have other modifications that compliment this setup. They include:

3.4" blower pulley

gotorback pulley belt

Random Tech. 3" Downpipe

180 thermostat

Mobil 1 synthetic

K&N is made of an oiled cotton fiber that provides less of a restriction than paper filters such as FRAM. A stock replacement K&N filter will net you unnoticeable gains.

These are pictures of my Fenderwell setup. As with any free flowing exhaust you will hear some intake noise including the supercharger whine at wide open throttle or partial engine load. You can feel it the most at the upper RPM range:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291506015

I don't have the blower so maybe there won't be a noticeable difference.
  • saturnfan13185saturnfan13185 Member Posts: 9
    I currently drive a 1994 Dodge Intrepid ES. It's pure junk, and I want to buy a Grand Prix GTP. Can anyone tell me if there was an Automatic Climate Control system available on any of the Grand Prixs? I know there is a dual-manual system available, but is there an auto system like the one the Bonneville has? I didn't think so, but looking at the Edmunds picture of their 1998 GTP they reviewed, I'd swear there was an auto climate control system in it.

Can anyone give me more info? Thanks in advance.

Ed
    My 99 GTP has dual zone automatic climate control - as in set a temperature and let it go. Works OK.
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    my 2000 GTP had auto climate control, I believe it may have been part of an option package. Many of the 2002, 2003 units on the lot at the dealership I visit have the dual auto climate control dsm6 mentions.
    SInce '97 model, GPs had dual automatic climate control available. But starting with 2002 model year they switched to dual manual.
  • saturnfan13185saturnfan13185 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the information. I'm looking for a '97 or '98 GTP. Carpoint lists that the '99 GTP's have trouble with the ignition lock cylinder failing, and a few other things that aren't listed as problems on the '97 and '98 models.

Does anyone know how it was packaged? Was it a stand-alone option, or was it in a package with, say, leather, heated driver's seat, and a few other things?

Where did you all find the information regarding the dual climate control? Is it online somewhere, or is it just based on cars you have seen?

Ed
  • ckeyckey Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 GP GT, little over 38,000 miles that i bought used...i'ved noticed weird shifting when it is cold...it hesitates to shift and at times seems to either skip or jump to neutral and back into gear....it goes away once the car is warmed up....i found a technical service bulletin on edmunds but doesn't give a remedy.... anybody else had this problem or know what it takes or how to fix it
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5356

Like the new interior. SE is gonzo.

• tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    I'm glad the SE is gone for '04, it was a throwback to the stodgy GP's of the 80's with velour benchs and dog dish hubcaps.

If they want a conservative car, get a Century.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Sounds like the clutch packs are worn and it might need to be rebuilt.
    Pretty impressive. StabiliTrak, side curtain airbags, etc.
    media.gm.com
    The TAPshift sounds very cool. I would be all over that.

I only wish the base motor was one of the new ohc engines. That said the 3800 is pretty good.
    It is killing me that GM doesn't have a DOHC motor
    in the mid sizers. Even Ford has that.
    I suspect the 3800 will be replaced in 2005 or 06 at the latest. The new V6's start hitting the street next year in the CTS and Malibu.

Isn't the Ford ohc made by someone else though?
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Checked out the interior picture. Will there ever be a W-Body with a hand operated emergency brake!?
This discussion has been closed.