Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• gmille2gmille2 Member Posts: 1
    If they fail to include the CompG wheels with the package then their should be a deduction in the price for that package. If you look at what the CompG package includes you will clearly see that a portion of the package is to cover the lightweight 10-spoke wheels. That is the whole idea behind the enhancements offered with that package. That being said, if the dealer now swaps wheels to a GTP with chrome than now you are being double charged for wheels (once in the package and then for the chrome). I could accept it if a dealer had the option to order a chrome finish on the CompG wheels but that is not an option.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    "That being said, if the dealer now swaps wheels to a GTP with chrome than now you are being double charged for wheels (once in the package and then for the chrome)."

-But it's an option to do so from the factory and a lot of dealers seem to be ordering them that way in the first place. Something about this whole "factory burnt to the ground" sounds fishy. It's very possible, but I don't know...
  • richm4richm4 Member Posts: 169
    For a GTP that listed at 29,640, the GMS price was 26,163 which is probably about $500 below invoice. The bad news is you have to order it since they can get near list for all the new GPs in stock.

By the way, I tried to get Comp-G wheels, which I love, without the Comp-G package, which I don't love the jarring ride, and the dealer said no dice.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Black Comp-G is sweet. That's the nicest one I've seen thus far, the wheels look supurb. 2 GTs at the local lot this morning on the way to work, both had sold signs. They may have been pre-ordered.
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    I tested a black GT with leather yesterday when I had my Yukon in for an oil change. Whoo ahh! What a nice car. The improvements over the last GP are noticeable everywhere in a big way. The interior is real nice for a mid-size sedan and the power/handling equation is about as good as anything out there. I may have to look at a GT soon as the gas for the Yukon is killing me, especially since we have 2 SUVs and could probably do with just one. I would like to test a V6 Accord also as I have heard they are nice. They didn't have a GTP in so I would also like to see if it's worth upgrading to the super charged.
    The 2 04 GPs the local dealer had are gone. Nothing left on the lot this evening. They must have both been sold.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Took a 15 minute drive in a GTP CompG (with exactly the options that I would order, except color!) at lunch today. My impressions:

Ride? Firm, but acceptable, all in all. Information I have indicates that the difference between the GTP and the CompG suspension-wise is only ‘firmer bushings and spring rates’. Meaning not also dampers / shock absorbers. The replacement of shocks (for those who don’t happen to know) with struts, is typically more expensive than replacing bushings. I found the isolation of short sharp bumps or broken pavement to be quite reasonable, esp. given the V rated 55 series tires.

Acceleration? Pretty much as I expected, having owned a ’97 GTP.

NVH? This appears to be a solid, well bolted (welded, bonded, glued) together vehicle. Pontiac seems to have done both a good job at design avoiding areas where various interior components might rub or squeak (for instance) and assembly. Structure appears v. good. The exhaust note is noticeable, but not objectionable.

There was absolutely NO noticeable torque steer! And I was looking carefully for this. Driving only the front wheels with torque over 250 tends to be a challenge. Well done, Pontiac!

Steering at all speeds (well, I did not have the opportunity to exceed about 75) seemed well weighted and accurate.

Smoothness? Power delivery is excellent and TQ is available at any RPM. The drivetrain is well sorted. The TAPshift feature added to the MX0 trans. is well executed. Though I noticed no ‘throttle blip’ on downshifts, they were still well handled with minimal surge / buck. The upshifts were quick and well managed. Since both my current and prior vehicles had a ‘man-u-matic’ feature, I am used to the concept. What I found WOULD (for me) likely require some time to adapt to is the paddle shift mechanisms. The certainly work as advertised, but I am used to reaching down with my right hand to slap the console mounted shift lever forward or back to shift manually that I was not immediately comfortable with the paddles. And in sharp turns, where the paddles are substantially ‘out of position’, I found it a bit un-intuitive to have to seek the current (sometimes moving) paddle positions to shift. Sometimes it is just not practical to maintain hand positions at 10 and 2.

I do like the enhanced DIC and HUD. And the level of interior trim, quality, fit and finish seem appropriate for a car in this proce range.

Driving position? I was a bit surprised that w/moonroof I needed to adopt rather more of a ‘laid back’ driving position to clear the headliner . . .

RPM at 60 approx. 1800 / 1850.

I happen to like to 10 spoke wheels – and the red brake calipers.

I really would like GM to increase the GP warrantee beyond 36 / 36. And a DVD based NAV system. But I digress . . .

All is all, the GP GTP w/CompG stays on my short list. . .

Cheers,
    - Ray

Just my $.01.5 worth – adjusted for current economic conditions.
    2022 X3 M40i
    Here’s several new 2004 GP’s on three dealer lots, showing different option and color combinations:

Polo Green GT2:
    http://www.woodbridgepontiac.com/Pontiac/24004.html

White GT2:
    http://www.woodbridgepontiac.com/Pontiac/24001.html

Silver GT2:
    http://www.driveultimate.com/Pontiac/4476_1.html

Silver GT1:
    http://www.driveultimate.com/Pontiac/4484_1.html

Black GT2:
    http://www.driveultimate.com/Pontiac/4493_1.html

Polo Green GT2:
    http://www.driveultimate.com/Pontiac/4495_1.html

Sport Red GT1:
    http://www.nncp.com/Pontiac/N14103.html

White GT1:
    http://www.nncp.com/Pontiac/N14101.html

The black GT2 has the Parchment & Pewter cloth interior, and it looks quite nice and comfortable (I’m not a big fan of leather). I think I’d get either a fully loaded black on parchment GT2 or a fully loaded black on parchment GTP Comp-G, both with cloth. Think the GTP Comp-G would be the winner...
  • mike935mike935 Member Posts: 10
    does anyone have a gtp or any more pictures of any of the new grand prix's?
    LOVE the red one.
  • bdstriebdstrie Member Posts: 18
    Anyone know what "E20" means when I try to play a CD in my 99 GP? I can't find Delco stereo error codes anywhere, and they don't seem to be listed in my owner's manual....

THANKS!
    Here's another, this time a silver GT1, pretty basic. I don't like the new GT wheels that much...they're not at all ugly, just not as nice as some of the previous wheels.

http://www.starcars.com/Pontiac/4P102_1.html
    They look pretty standard 5 spoke. Not bad at all. The GT1 they had here had the steel wheels with the plastic bolt ons. Yuk.
    if you get the car with HUD are you able to turn it off?
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Yes. It can be turned off. But you probably won't want to. Even more cool, when the HUD is on, the lighting for ALL the other instrumentation can now be turned off.
    I tested a V6 Accord yesterday to compare with the 04 Grand Prix GT I tested last week. Surprisingly the 2 cars performed very similarly in spite of the Accord HP advantage. I think the differene in torque is small which explains it. The GP is
    definitely a tad faster off the line but the Accord was a little zippier on the highway. Over all I'm a little torn between these cars. The GP looks a lot sportier and it's new clean lines are quite attractive. That said, the Accord feels a tad more refined. They are both new models so I guess either could have an issue.

I actually assumed I would like the Accord better but I was wrong. No one here on the GP board has bought one yet (it just came out) so I'm lost.

Nice pix by the way!
    what does it mean on the trip computer when it says engine boost?
    I too was torn between the Accord and the GP for awhile. I just drove home a silver GTP without the comp-g package yesterday.

Let me give you my thoughts...

Styling - The GTP is much slicker looking hands down. The chrome wheels are really sharp. I must have had half a dozen people throughout the day staring at my car.

Interior comforts - While the GP is improved this year, the Accord is still nicer and more refined.

Power - I have to actually give it to the Accord since the GP's supercharger takes a couple seconds to kick in.

Ride - This is where I am very disappointed in my GTP so far. The Accord rode very smooth, but my GTP rides very harsh. I'm coming from a previous generation Grand Prix GT, so it's not like I expected it to ride like a Buick, but I can hear and feel every bump in the pavement. I noticed my tires had 40psi, so I lowered it to 30 and it helped a little.

In conclusion, if I had to do it over again, I may have leaned towards the Accord a little more primarily for the ride and interior issues. Or I may have bought the GT1 or GT2 for the softer ride. Perhaps I'll change my mind as I start to get more comfortable with the car.
    I think he tested a GT, not a GTP. Suspension should be more comparible to the Accord there.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Boost on the trip computer means the supercharger has kicked in.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I test drove a GTP without Comp G and thought that the suspension was a bit too soft. Softer than my Acura TL-S.
    I drove a GT which has very comparable suspension to the V6 Accord. The Accord was a touch more refined over all but I really like the looks of the GP. It's a really sharp car. Coming from an Accord a few years ago, I know the Hondas are good. That said our GMC truck has been good also so I certainly know GM builds decent product these days also. Apparently the Oshawa plant where the 04 GP is made has a very good reputation so I have a lot of faith in the quality both cars.

Tuff call, I will likely do another test of each before I make any decision.
  • fred707fred707 Member Posts: 27
    The results are out from the SCCA in which they tested the Pontiac Grand Prix against some stiff competition. Man they rode the cars hard and were relentless. Over 41000 miles of pure push on our little guy....

17 Vehciles 5 Tests 1 OVERAll Winner. Folks the proud winner is the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Comp-G. To get more info go to Pontiac's web site and go to GP there you will see the test that the scca ran
    Some more new 2004 GP’s, to show different options & colors:

Sport Red GTP:
    http://www.woodbridgepontiac.com/Pontiac/24008.html

Silver GT2:
    http://www.woodbridgepontiac.com/Pontiac/24007.html

Silver GT1:
    http://www.woodbridgepontiac.com/Pontiac/24006.html

Silver GT2:
    http://www.woodbridgepontiac.com/Pontiac/24005.html

White GT2:
    http://www.woodbridgepontiac.com/Pontiac/24003.html

Sport Red GT2:
    http://www.driveultimate.com/Pontiac/4518_1.html

Boy, someone ordering these cars sure likes silver—that’s all you ever find! The GTP looks really nice, and those wheels are much better than the GT ones, just make them chrome though—the silver painted is too plain, IMHO.
    does anyone own a gtp w/ comp g or have any pictures of them?
    Ever noticed how many gray cars are on the road? It's the number 1 color these days. We have a gray Intrigue and while it looks good IMO, the next car will have a different color.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Not all the Grand Prix colors are available at start up. And since Silver is the ad & catalog car, initial build was most likely tilted that way. Not usually a red fan, but pictures look good, can't wait to see one in person. Also the dark colors keep the OnStar and XM from standing out as much as the white/silver.
  • jeffwoerthjeffwoerth Member Posts: 15
    I'll be picking up my black GTP with Comp G on Friday and will post some pictures over the weekend. I was supposed to pick up a GTP w/o the Comp G 2 weeks ago but the dealer noticed some rear end damage when they were cleaning it up so they sent it back to the factory.
    For those of you who are eligible, don't let the dealers tell you that the employee or supplier discounts are not available on the 04 GP. It is completely at the dealers discretion, shop around until you find one who will honor it.
    jeff, where do you live and how long ago did you order the car if you did?
  • jeffwoerthjeffwoerth Member Posts: 15
    Mike, I live in northern NJ and I did not order this car. I'm taking one that they had in stock with several more options including the Comp G w/ the 10 spoke rims that I originally did not intend on getting. By the way, all of the Comp G's that they had coming in had the 5 spoke chrome rims for an additional $600. The dealer didn't even realize it until I pointed it out to them when they showed me the list of what they had coming in. They actually thought that there had been a price increase on the car. From what I was told there is about a 4-6 week wait if you order 1 from the factory.
    thanks
    Congrats!

Look forward to reviews and pictures from you.
  • patssoxpatssox Member Posts: 8
    <<Ever noticed how many gray cars are on the road?>>

According to several reports I've read recently grey/silver is going to be "The" color for the next several years. Beats Teal, I guess.

Paul
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    I saw the black GTP at the auto show and it looked great. Silver seems to be the most available color on the new GP. I read somewhere that silver has been the largest seller for the last year or two. My 2000 GTP was silver and looked good.
    As for teal; I didn't think the teal they put on the 2002-2003 GP looked as good as the teal they offered on the previous generation Bonneville. i.e. the teal that changed color as the light changed. We had a 96 Bonne that looked drop dead gorgeous all shined up in that teal.
    The Pontiac dealer I've dealt with finally got 7/8 new GPs in - unfortunaeltly I've been too busy to get over and take him up on his offer of a few test drives.
    Just brought home a 2004 GTP last week. Since the car was probably built and painted in the last month or so, does anyone know if I need to wait a certain period of time before I can wax my car?
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    In the Olden Days, you did need to wait for paint to "cure". This should no longer be an issue with modern paints (my wife had this same concern when she got her 2001 GTP).

I would seriously think about using something other than wax on a new car (i.e. Zaino, BlackFire). Now that spring has (finally) arrived in Wisconsin, today I can finally do a full wash-and-detail on my wife's GTP and my Aurora - I haven't hand-washed or applied Zaino her GTP since last June, and it still "glows" and beads very nicely - try that with wax!

--Robert
    Gray looks nice, but when everyone else has it you blend in too much.

Next car will be an onyx blue or polo green.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Polo green has always been a favorite color of mine. I remember when Cadillac first started offering that color on the Eldorado touring coupe way back in 1991. I was only 15 when I saw one of those in that color at a local auto show and that was what I dreamed of for my 16th birthday. Does Pontiac offer a dark blue on the new GP?
    Don't know.. I saw a Polo Green one at the local lot though and it's nice.
  • raider4liferaider4life Member Posts: 6
    Hi guys. I have a 98 Grand Prix GTP. I was just looking to improve the exaust sound. Guys have any suggestions on a pair of mufflers?
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    How do you compare the '04 GTP to the previous one you owned?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    it looks much refined. More features. It is very close to Chrysler 300M. It is 300M with more punch and without memory seats (passenger seat is actually not powered at all)
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Thanks....I've got 110K mi on my 300M. It's been the best car I've ever owned.

I was thinking of replacing it with the GTP since I saw it at the Detroit Auto Show. I may hold onto the 300M for another year and wait to see what Chrysler does with the 300N.

Of course, there's always the RX8, which I like a lot, too.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    you can already see what Chrysler has done with 300N at the NY Autoshow.

http://car.kak.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=news&file=- article&sid=891&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
    Looks like Toyota is getting primed for NASCAR..

http://www.autoweek.com/specials/2003_newyork/

The new Solara on the bottom looks a lot like a smoothed out Monte Carlo.

Saw my first 04 GP on the road today. A gray GT, very nice.
    from the back it looks like Tiburon!
    The sculpted rear panels look very Monte Carlo but the rear does look a little Hyundia.

Too bad there is no GP coupe anymore. Wonder what it would have looked like.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    What the freak did they do the 300??? That's an eyesore!!! :-P
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    looks a lot like their convertible.

New TL looks surprisingly modern/not overly conservative.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    Lot's of cars getting hit with the ugly stick!!!
    At least the 300 is distinctive.
    It never fails to amaze me how Japanese cars always come out at the same time with the same design cues. The front of the 2004 Galant has basically the same design elements and layout as the Maxima. Even the roof is similar. Even the new Sienna has that chunk in the middle of the grille now. Do the designers call each other?
    What happened with the Diamante!!! They stuck the nose from an old Pontiac on it?

Hey... wait...is this the Grand Prix board?
    The new one is very attractive....and no one will flame me for that. ...and it comes in metallic orange!
This discussion has been closed.