Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    When I first saw the Solara rear, I knew it looks Korean, but couldn't say which one. It also looks like fugly SC430

Don't you think the new Galant has more than a few hints of Maxima, both front & rear?

TL is best Honda/Acura design in forever. Looks like Acura is going rakish, like Caddy.

What did they do to the Maxx? Last time I looked, it had unconventional European style. All that is gone!
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    Those headlights are from Lexus. And they don't fit at all.
  • laker3laker3 Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone gone with the Comp G pkg? I've always been a fan of sticks, which is one of the reasons I'm also considering a smaller Subaru WRX (AWD) or RX-8 (RWD). I hear the TAPshift is much better than those other manumatics, almost Porsche-like.

My color choice is silver or polo green, but I'd also like to see that orange.
  • oogilieorang04oogilieorang04 Member Posts: 12
    Hey laker3 & orangelebaron, if too many of you get the GP in Orange, I won't be unique anymore!

Anyway, I've got an order started on a GTP WS6 in Fusion Orange, but the holdup is the side impact airbags. There's currently a hold on them and no one at Pontiac will say what the delay is or how long it will be before they're available. Has anyone heard anything (preferably with a grain of truth to it)?
  • mike935mike935 Member Posts: 10
    i ordered a comp g black about a month ago with side airbags and they said somewhere between a month to two monthes when i ordered it, i also heard that the orange doesnt come in for a couple of months.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Mercy, that 300C will now make me rethink either the RX8 or the GTP. That's a classy piece. I'll be all over it if pricing is similar to the current 300M.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    I tested an 04 GT and a 03 Accord V6 Sedan today and I think I am leaning towards the GP because I like the styling and driving feel of the car better.

Have people been able to get much of MSRP and how do owners like their cars?
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    chill out, we are just comparing different cars to Grand Prix here
  • fred707fred707 Member Posts: 27
    I was told back in February that the side curtain air bags were on restriction and no one knew when they would be available. I ordered My Comp G with them then we took them off to get the car built. To this day there is still a restriction on the BAGS.

My car arrived 4/18/03 and I picked it up on 4/19/03 on a great warm Saturday in Baltimore. The car was given a pin stripe against my knowing and you know what it did not look all that bad. you see the stripe matches the gray in the ten spokes. The TAP shift is to die for. You can get to 30-35 before your get a gear design in the HUD telling you to shift. I stay in 3rd most of the time then floor it drop to fourth and cruise from there. The 3rd gear is a great passing gear.

I have 500 miles on it in just 4 days. Was a great Easter surprise. If you have any questions about it I can give you the details. I paid almost nothing for it and the dealership was great. My MSRP was $30,370. Just ask and I will tell ya all I know. I also have pics. Including under the hood.....
    i would like to see some pics
    Will post sunday afternoon.
    sounds good
    My web page is up and you can now view some of the pics. I will add alot more on sunday. I am attending a Grand Prix Rally so I will have lots of Pics to share.

http://www.msnusers.com/GrandPrixGTP
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Nice pix! Thank you. Looks like you have 2 GPs now?

Do you get a lot of looks in the new one?
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    Thanks for the pics; I really like the 5 spoke chrome wheels. Did you have them swapped? I noticed the one photo(driveway, trees with woman) it has the 10 spoke machined, but looks like the 5 spke in the others.
    The Photo with the 5 spokes is a dealer borrowed car. The vehicle I own is the ten spoke with the people looking over the car. They were is aww over it. I posted the pics of the optional wheels because people wanted to see what they looked like. I will post engine shots and undercarage shots later today Sunday 4/27/03
    Sat in a 04 GT-2 yesterday again. Car is definitely growing on me, the front seats are incredibly comfortable. A few things I don't like are the low back seat (though I will never sit there anyway), the inside door handles and the strange bubble display on the center stack. That all said, the car look great inside and out and I can't wait to have the time to test on. The local dealer must have had a GP sales a thon or something as they had all the 03s and 04s up front. With the 04s they has 2 GT2s and 3 GTPs, one with tap-shift.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    I'm pretty much with you on the initial GP impressions. The back seat could be a little better, but after all the driver seat is where the GP's excitment is:) Does anyone know if the new GP offers an auto dimming rearview mirror? I can't remember if any I've seen at the dealer have one. I do wish that higher end GPs had auto climate control. Other than these two things, I think the new GP is pretty much where it should be. The dealer had one GTP with the Comp G package and it had the optional 5 spoke chrome wheels so I haven't seen the 10 spoke wheels in person. From pictures though, I'd rather have the 10 spoke wheels rather than the 5 spoke ones.
    I have added a new series of pics. They incllude engine as well as my actual 10 spoke unit

Click the Link

http://groups.msn.com/GrandPrixGTP
    The 10 spoke look the best. I have seen them all the rims and they rule. I think they are only available on the GTP, but I may be wrong.

Dual zone would be nice (I have it on the Intrigue), but I can live with out it if I ever get a GP.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    What's that dial behind the shifter?

TIA
    The deal behind the shifter is a TC button. That is a switch that allows you to Turn on/off traction control. The knob to the right is the HUD options and controls.
    You'll need that button if you ever get stuck in snow. I had to show the lady across the street that it had to be turned off when stuck. She was amazed I was able to help her with the push of a button.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    I had to turn the TC off on my Intrigue when in snow last winter. Generally TC works great but the trouble I encountered was with the wheels sliiping alot it was applying the brakes to the point there were getting hot and the heated wheels would melt the snow on contact and just make it a slushy. Turned the TC off and let the wheels cool a bit and tried the slope again and made it up by controlling wheelspin the old fashion way. Don't get me wrong, TC is great and I wouldn't have a car without it, but there are times that you may need to turn it off.
    Absolutely. You only need to turn off if you get stuck, no other reason.

I would also NEVER buy a car without TC and ABS.
    Living in the sun-belt, I don't drive on snow very often. But when we went skiing in NM, I got stuck and just gently rocked the car back and forth and until it was unstuck. Because of the gentleness, the TC never kicked in or had to be turned off.

Or did I miss anything?

TIA
    You either weren't that stuck or your traction control wasn't very sensitive. The girl I helped out was stick in a foot of compact icy snow
    As I said, the tires never spun, but it was only a few inches of snow.

Then again, who am I to argue about snow with someone from the Great White North? :-)
    Went to the local Pontiac shop and managed to negotiate $1500 off a 04 GT-2. Anyone know if more could be had?? Seems to me I should be able to do a little better.
    Just got back from the dealer. I had already resigned myself to ordering the car either way, and SIAB had just become available! Now we get to be the guinea pigs! Actually, I do feel better having them; even if there's a problem and they have to be recalled, at least they're there and fixed. Just hope they don't pop open inadvertantly!
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Pontiac still says late May before they accept dealer orders for production scheduling. This was verified this morning on something the dealers see on a web site called voms (?) constraints.
    Hmmm, the dealer said he could place the order on Tuesday. I guess we'll find out then!
    I think the dealer is telling you he can put the order in the pool, and Pontiac is saying they wouldn't start pulling orders from the pool until late May. Either way it's an option, I believe, that is worth waiting for. That is what is holding my brother up. (Although I am told there is a great dinner table discussion between he and his wife over which wheels to get.) The actual value is in debate. The director of the NHTSA said that if "all" cars where equiped with SIAB, it could save 600 lives per year (out of 43,000 deaths). The majority coming from the unbelted and rollover ejections.
    Thanks for the clarification. At least the order can be placed, which wasn't the case in past weeks. I guess that means the car probably won't be arriving until late June/early July instead of early-to-mid June then. Oh well.

I hear you on the debatable value. One website I saw did some real-world research and found virtually no difference as far as survival rates of those with SIAB, except for ejections in rollovers, like you said. It's still better to have them than not; I was just concerned how there seemed to be no indication of when they might be available. At least late May is a tangible target - hopefully one "hit" by Pontiac.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    Saw my first '04 GPs in the flesh today. Nice-looking body but the interior... ugh! I looked at a couple of GT1 models with the cloth upholstery... it might be some of the ugliest cloth I've ever seen in a car. That alone would make me walk away. I looked at a GTP with leather, which was far nicer of course, but it had another problem that is shared across the line: the cheap-looking shiny hard plastic that makes up the center stack. Unbelieveable. I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I am. It seems GM just can't help shooting themselves in the foot. Another potential GM buy crossed off the list.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

While I agree some of the patterns I've seen on the seats are so so, the center stack and dash are very decent quality. Did you actually sit in the car and touch?
    Look at the cloth in the Sunfire and the Aztek. Then look at the Grand Prix.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I did this test some time ago when I owned my GTP. I was looking at an Acura TL at the time and comparing it to the GTP.

I removed the buttons on the TL's dash and on the GTPs dash. The quality, thickness, weight, etc were more or less about the same on both cars regarding their "plastic bits". While the textures were different, there was no difference in the quality of the plastic used on the dashes.

I can understand if you don't like the textures on the controls, but there isn't any difference in the quality compared to an Acura, for example.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    A good share of the 04 GP interior is still riddled with cheap plastic. The center stack, radio, climate controls.....not up to par.
    I sat in a leather GT2 and not only were the seats about as comfortable as I have ever sat in, the quality of the leather was as good if not better than what I found in the Accord.

As far as the dash, I like it better than the Honda also. I find the quality of materials to be excellent. This is not a $45K BMW folks, it's a midsize sedan.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    The center stack plastic looked like something you'd find in a model car kit. Shiny as can be and ugly. Not appropriate for a Hyundai, much less a $30K automobile. The GP is not in the Sunfire's class, and as for the Aztek, since GM made that as extreme and hard on the eyes as possible that's not a surprise either. For a mainstream sedan it is unacceptable as is the dash plastic.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I'm not sure what you were looking at but I've driven the Accord and 04 GP back to back and I'll tell you right here, the GP is just fine in terms of dash quality. It's a very different design, but just as good.

Have you sat in the car??????
    I liked the dash a lot also. Center stack is all good aside from the bubble display at the top which I could certainly get used to. Gauges are all good as it the feel of the steering wheel and the seats are about the best I've seen in a midsize sedan. If I could buy one aftermarket to fit / match my Intrigue I would!
  • tek3tek3 Member Posts: 20
    I'm just curious, is anyone else holding out for GM to offer an incentive on the GP? I'm ready to buy one buy would love to get 0% financing too.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/ly/images/04grandprix_3.jp- - g

I guess I would agree with ab348....I sat in the GP interior display at the Autoshow and while a bit of an improvement over the previous iteration it still looked below par to me. The seats themselves were improved but the dash not as much. In a GTP that would sticker around 28-30k its just not where it should be. Why does a Toyota Corolla have a nicer interior at 10 grand less? Pontiacs own Vibe has a better quality interior (except for the same dimestore Delco stereo).

The Impala is nicer.
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    I decided to wait on the 2004 - partly because there were not going to be any incentives for a while and I also wanted to see how the first year model shakes out. I owned a 2000 GTP which I liked a lot and the 2004 has definite improvements in seat comfort, dash design, exterior design... but the cheap looking toggle switches for PW, PDL and the "race" inspired steering wheel disappointed me. I really do love the more comfortable seats and versatility with the fold down rear seats....
    I took advantage of the copious rebates and discounts(close to 8 grand total) on a 2003 GT that I'll be quite happy with. Since I have a long commute and put about 25k-30k miles/year on my rigs, I take a soaking if I trade anyway. But, our Pontiacs(since 1989) have all treated us pretty well and been quite dependable which makes it easy to sell off/pass on to friends or family.
    "The Impala is nicer".

LOL!
    Anyone know what GM is offering in the way of finance rates on the 2004s?

REG : Sit in the car again. Dash is very good and the knobs and buttons are as good as anything. You may not like the design, but the quality is competitive. Like I said before, it's not a BMW, it's a midsize sedan. Toyota Corolla interior design is ok, nothing special from what I remember.
    Through GMAC they are offering in the US: 3.9% for 36M, 4.9% for 48M, and 5.9% for 60M.
This discussion has been closed.