Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• bigcheezbigcheez Member Posts: 11
    Hello,
    I have been searching for advice about purchasing an extended warranty. Feel like it is a crap-shoot. Pay extra money betting on the car to have problems so you get your money back and more.
    Of course there are always horror stories of cars with major repair work needed after the manufacturers warranty expires. So you are d***ed if you do d***ed if you don't.

I have a 2002 GT with 33,000 miles on it. Have had the car 1.5 years and the miles are mostly highway 110 a day. The only problem so far has been the low speed on blower fan did not work and was fixed. Time is running out for me to purchase this warranty so any advice would be appreciated.

Before this car I owned a 96 Dodge intrepid, sold it at 130,000 miles. Did not have the extended warranty and if I remember correctly the repairs would not have exceeded the cost of the ext. warranty.

Thanks,

Miki
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I have also got the famous letter about the manifold issue (in my case, after a new manifold dropped in at 17000mls).

Has anybody got the service performed? And how about this sealant, what exactly is it and why is it necessary?
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    ab348 : I have sat in an 04 GP 4 times. I know it well. Dash is not perfect but it feels good to me and looks fine. I still have not seen any press that agrees with your view. Like I have said before, I'm not a big fan of the cloth designs either.

jauto98 : Funny story, my parents took an 04 out for a test last week when I was on vacation. They thought it was "too sporty" and ended up with a new LeSabre. Perfect car for them though I wish they had bought the GP so I could have some fun with it.
  • jauto98jauto98 Member Posts: 77
    Yeah, I really like the GP. During the test drive, I reset the trip/fuel economy to see what kind of mileage I was getting. Previous driver(s) got roughly 19mpg. I on the other hand was able to achieve 24mpg (mostly on the highway though with AC running all the time). Pretty impressive. What is everyone else getting?

The one major concern I have is the lack of visibility of the rear. The spoiler on the GP does not help me at all. Does anyone have the optional spoiler that can be order by the dealer? It is suppose to be larger and more prevalent than the stock unit. Does it make a difference? Thanks
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    My current 2003 GT consistently delivers 24-25 mpg in my daily commute (~70% hwy/30% streets) and I've gotten 30 mpg hwy w/air. My previous 2000GTP (supercharged) ran 23-24 mpg in same commute and consistently did 30 mpg on road trips through most conditions.
    I'd expect the 2004 GT/GTP to give same/better mileage once broken in.
    I had a 2004 GT(1100 miles on the Odometer) as a rental for a week and I got 22 in mixed driving.
    Our old Grand Prix SE (3.8) used to get around 30 on the highway and 24-25 mixed. Decent for a larger car. Our 3.5L Intrigue gets about the same though you get an extra 15 HP with it.
  • richm4richm4 Member Posts: 169
    My 04 GTP gets about 18-19 in city driving.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    you must have talked them out of the Toyota Avalon :)
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    So far on my GT2, (converting from metric), I'm getting about 29 on the highway and close to 21-22 in the city though my city driving has some highway stretches in it. I'm pretty happy and it could be better if I didn't have a lead foot.

Dindak, my dad drives a LeSabre also. It's a total dad car, very popular with the older crowd. Don't think I'm ready for that, nor do I think I ever will.
    My dad would never buy anything but Ford or GM. Should have seen his face when I bought my Honda a few years back.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    These rims definitely suite it. The red emblem is a bit over the top though.
    http://www.oqcgp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8251
    Ditto. Really looks cool, especially the rims and exhaust.

BTW, what happened to all the activity on this message board? I noticed one new post in 2 days, versus 20+ per day a few weeks ago. Everyone but me must be vacationing ;-)
  • tek3tek3 Member Posts: 20
    Maybe Gunit found a full time job. j/k ;)
    Sweet. If I had the bucks, man I'd be tempted to get one like that.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    Yeah - I think Gunit accounts for about 50% of the posts!
    Saw today, Chrysler Canada has 0% for 72 months on all vehicles. Wow.

Where is Gunit?
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    This board has died! The Olds Intrigue forum has been more active lately. And that car has been out of production for over a year now.
    Wow, 0% for 6 years. I've noticed that GMAC has been running a 1.9% for 72 months on some vehicles here in the US. Chrysler is still not in a very good position with their cars. The 300C can't come soon enough for them.
    Sales must be sluggish. Chrysler has virtually no hot models and nothing new coming this fall that I know of. Kind of scary actually. Ford has some good new products coming and GM has quite a few new models also.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    Actually if the pictures I've seen of the 300C are any indication it might hurt Chrysler more than it helps. I hear the remaining 300Ms are getting snapped up by discontented 300 fans.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I like the looks of the 300M, but I really love the looks of the 300C(at least from what I've seen in pictures). And with a Hemi V8 powering the rear wheels and an MB E-class dreived suspension system, this should be one nice ride. Finally, Chrysler is starting to bear some of the fruits of the merger.
  • sindibadsindibad Member Posts: 5
    I bought this beauty back in May 2003. I am zigzagging, passing every car on the road, especially the BMW, Maxima, Altima, you name it. I do not have any problem with it at all. Peoples looking at it and pointing finger, oh look the new grand Prix yaaah. I tell you guys & girls, buy the car, drive the car, enjoy it. Have you driven the car yet, or just steering at it. The new Grand Prix not only has a new design, but the power, the beauty, the smooth ride, you name it. I like the interior, the exterior you name it. All I can see is this peoples posting messages about their opinion, and they are writing messages like a reporter is being paid by the auto maker, or a phony web host inter net pages. Do your investigation, ask around, drive the car, do some comparison, make your own decision. This is my first Pontiac. I am a middle age man who drove Ford products in the past 25 years. It is time for me for a change, which I did.
    sindibad - watch out - when Gunit reappears he's going to give you a counter opinion, and it won't be a short one! ;)

BTW - I would agree with you except that my car still has not been delivered. It's going on 9 weeks since ordered.... :(
    You could tell the guy writing that review was just a bit biased. Oh, it was from the NY Times. Certainly no bias there:)
    Saw red 04 GP today. Not sure if it was a GT, GTP, or comp-G as it was pulling out of a gas station as I drove by and then it was behind me. The red is a nice color and I liked the look of the car. I really like how they have switched to amber DRLs and also how the DRLs are mounted lower, just like they are on the CTS.
    The amber DRLs is how you can easily spot an 04. I can tell from quite a distance what it is.

As for the NY times article, what ever. The GP is a sporty midsize sedan not a sports car and if he didn't like the traction control he can turn it off like any other car.
    There are way too many people out there reviewing automobiles.....
    "The GP is a sporty midsize sedan not a sports car"

GM is advertising the GP in direct comparisons to other sport sedans and touting the GP as being able to compete and beat the others. You may detach sports car form sporty sedan but the market is evolving to a place where sedans have near identical performance to sports cars....

Someone in another topic said the NYP reviewer was fond of the CTS, so there's no bias there against GM. You GM fans need to stop accepting blindly the idea that all GM vehicles are without flaws.
    It's funny how your defence is always "You GM fans think everything they make is great.. bla bla bla". Couldn't be that one man's opinion conflicts with other reviews I have read.

Fact is I dislike many GM vehicles just like I dislike many cars from other makers.

Since neither of us have driven the car however.. we can not make our own call on this matter.
    I drive the 04 GP every day and I don't agree with that review either.

He calls the car "clumsy and contrived". To me it handles better than just about any other sport sedan on the road. Nothing clumsy about it, come on it's a big car for petes sake. This guy just felt like picking apart the car and had nothing good to say. He obviously was in no mood for testing some domestic pedestrian GP.

Car is solid and well put together. The 2 or 3 other reviews I have read have all been pretty positive on the car including the one done by Edmunds.
  • snaabsnaab Member Posts: 74
    hi. i was wondering if anyone knew aprox how much it costs to tint the windows on a grand prix. also, anyone know what the current tint laws are in the state of michigan. thanks.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    Seems to me to be a spot-on review, except he was too easy on the interior. "Contrived" seems a good word for this car.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    the guy is worried that when he puts his purse between the seats he is going to inadvertently press the traction control button. And the button reminds him of a marshmallow. What a fruit.
    his purse...LOL

auto extremist has a follow up reaction to the New York post writeup, and its quite scathing.

actualy, FWIW, the GP's I have checked out at least seem to have good build quality as far as the body and doors and structure and stuff lining up etc. Loooks and feels like over time it will hold up a lot better than the Altima in terms of dings, paint, shakes, etc. And the interior is cheese on both of them anyways.

For under 20 grand out the door a basic Grand Prix is an ok buy. Even if the rear seat stinks and the rear end looks heinous and it refuses to even offer something besides the powertrain it does.
    "the guy is worried that when he puts his purse between the seats he is going to inadvertently press the traction control button. And the button reminds him of a marshmallow. What a fruit."

I was thinking the same thing. It's amazing what these "experts" are concerned about when they look at cars.
    midlife : Ya.. "experts". NY Times is well known for it's auto reviews I'm sure.

ab348 : I'm surprised you weren't the author. Sounds like your opinion of the car for sure.
  • stumack1stumack1 Member Posts: 56
    the NYT review and the Autoextremist reply are pretty much right on. I'm shopping right now and drove an '04 GT2 yesteday (before reading both articles) - what a disappointment. Harsh ride, cheap interior materials and shoddy assembly. I really wanted to like this car - I've had a positive relationship with the dealer for 6 years (excellent service) and hate to walk away, but GM just missed the mark completely with the new GP. I drove the Intrepid last week, and the GP doesn't measure up at all to this 6 year old design in any area.
    I'd like to know where people are finding all these Grand Prixs with "shoddy assembly". My car, and every GP I saw on the lot were very well put together. I can see people not liking some of the aesthetics of the GP, but to say the car is not asembled well is just slander in my opinion.

Stumack1, In terms of ride quality, the 04 GT2 compares very well with the Accord which I also tested, but if you think a Chrysler is better than both those cars, go ahead and get one, great deals. They may have a softer and cushier ride which some people prefer to a sportier ride. I think Buicks fall into that category also.
    ...it's a regrettable fact. Where it was found was on the lot, for sale, brand new, in the very city where it was built (it came a whole 2 miles up the road from the end of the line to this dealer).

Like I said, I wanted to like this car, but the material quality and the way it was put together (not to mention it was already rattling) was inexcusable. I've been rooting for GM and I don't want to walk away from them, but they are pushing their long-time customers out the door. I'm sure the Buick rides better, but the decontenting of the Regal and its low buck interior turned me off.
    The 04 GPs I saw were all well asembled. I looked inside 2 of them and same can be said of the interiors. I can understand if you don't like some of the plastics ( a couple of others have said the same) but the car's fit and finish was excellent. It also comes from the Oshawa plant which is known for good quality so it seems reasonable to assume this car would be no different.

Canadian magazine Car Guide did a special feature on the car and one of the positive comments coming from all the testers was how good the assembly quality was.

Maybe you were sitting in a bad apple or an abused demo.
    I test drove a GPGT2 and an Intrepid SXT, back to back. No comparison - the GP was a better car for me. There isn't a hint of sportiness to the Intrepid, and it is just too big. It's more like a cruiser than anything else. 240 HP? Didn't feel like it. Steering was a chore. Styling definitely goes to the GP. Intrepid interior is not bad, but very reserved. I don't want a reserved car. If I did I'd buy a CamAccord.

GP has the option of DIC, HUD, and all the goodies you can get with the GTP Comp G if you want to spend a little more. Intrepid is a good car, but in dire need of redesign. Also, the GP seats fit me like a glove, while the Intrepid felt more like a bench seat.
  • jbbw20jbbw20 Member Posts: 38
    ...our impressions of the GP and Intrepid are completely opposite one another. The 'trep and CompG can't really be compared (at least in the Canadian market)...we are talking about a $30k car vs $41k for the CompG (stickers). GM was discounting marginally better than DCX, but no 0% on '04's at GM. A GT2 with leather and sunroof stickered at $34k vs $31 for an Intrepid ES equipped similarly.

I think dindak may be right that the car I tested was a demo that had been beat on...it was the salespersons car and had 3000km+ on it.
    June 30 I had made my mind up to purchase another GP. I have owned two with the most current being a 98 with 220000km, and no problems. I checked the local dealers lot (after hours) and the 04 GP appeared to be what I wanted but three main factors lead me elsewhere.
    1. The salesman I always dealt with went to greener pastures across town (Ford dealership).
    2. The new GP is not available in white.
    3. The most important factor, June 30 with check in wallet I went the the local dealership for a test drive/purchase. (I had previously come to agreement on price by phone). The salesman was waiting with keys in hand, he put the dealer plate on the car, started it, turned the a/c on (temp low 30's) thats when the excitement started. We talked for a few minutes while the car cooled off then-the auto started to sound like a distressed cat, howls came from under the hood followed by the smell of smoke and then smoke. He shut the car off and offered me a test drive in his demo. The drive was enjoyable, nice ride, good power, well put together--just like a GP should be. When I got back to the dealership I asked the salesman about the distressed GP that I had almost decided to buy and he stated the a/c compressor had siezed, and the belt had been destroyed, he offed me another of different color or he would rob parts from another and put on the one I had picked out. I told him I did not like spending time at a garage, and I probably had lost confidence in his product.
    On the way out of town I stopped at the Ford dealership and talked to the salesman who sold me the 98GP--the result I purchased a 03 Taurus SES first Ford, never had been considered as an option--6 weeks later I am getting to like it more each day--will see how the long term relationship developes, possibly will never go back to GP or GM.
    ...interesting selection in the Taurus SES. They are very agressively priced here except all the "package" SES's have the 155 hp motor, not the 200 hp unit. Looks like a solid, well equipped car, though.

Lots of '04 GP's in white around here...don't know what they are trying to tell you.
    My Taurus has the 24 valve motor, moonroof, side air bags etc. I don't know Ford packages very well, not sure what is standard. The Taurus is bright white, the GP is available in an off white IMO looks somewhat dirty all the time. I can't remember the official name for that color.
    Low 30's. Sounds like heater time to me. ;-)
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I've got to be kidding!!!

I test drove a '04 GTP and thought it was a bit too soft. I would definitely go for a Comp G edition.
    I can understand the concern when test driving a brand new car and something like that happens, but things do occasionally go wrong with brand new products. Even with the best of products. Back when I was in college and was working selling home entertainment equipment, occasionally a brand new high end piece of equipment would come back with a defect. As for the GP's A/C compressor, there is a good chance the same company that makes them for GM make them for Ford(and everyone else) as well.
This discussion has been closed.