Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• jbbw20jbbw20 Member Posts: 38
    I agree, even new products can be defective, however if I am going to pay a substantial amount for a product it should work until I leave the lot. I ordered some parts for the 98 GP a couple of weeks ago and I asked the parts mgr about the sick GP he stated it was sitting at the back of the lot waiting for parts, apparently the compressor is of a new design and he said GM gave a delivery delay of 30 days.
    Bottom line I still think the GP is a great car but with the experience I had I believe I made the correct decision to buy the Taurus.

To transulate--30= approx. 90 in the old method
     ;-)
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    Hope everything works out for you with the Taurus. It is a decent car for most purposes. I just wanted something a little more sporty looking. The Taurus looks more like a company car.

The white 04 GPs here are bright white - not sure why it looked "dirty".

A guy I know from the local gym had a 1996 white Taurus. Last week I saw a new regeistration sticker on his car and wondered why. After checking it out for a minute or so, I realized he had bought a new Taurus in the same color! Looked identical except for the minor exterior mods they made on this model.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Taurus is a decent car but it's no GP in terms of looks or handling. Power should be decent with the motor you chose though. A guy here in the office has one and he is very happy with it.
    For anyone in the Toronto area, the Sun is giving away two 04 GPs. You have to collect a few puzzle pieces and mail them in. Unfortunately they are GT1 base cars, but who knows, maybe you can pay the difference and get a GT2.
  • jbbw20jbbw20 Member Posts: 38
    I totally agree, the Taurus is no GP, although the Taurus does have a functional rear seat, and to the kids delight they can see outside. BTW according to the Canadian brochure on 04 GP colors-- ivory white--IMO looks more like cream--Taurus Vibrant white which resembles the summit white available on 03 Grand Am
  • richm4richm4 Member Posts: 169
    "I test drove a '04 GTP and thought it was a bit too soft. I would definitely go for a Comp G edition."

Actually, I thought the GTP ride was somewhat harsh even without the Comp-G. Maybe harsh is too harsh of a word, but I can definitely hear every "thump" each time I go over seems in the road or little road imperfections. Perhaps it is the type of tires that cause this, because my old 98 GP GT seemed quite a bit smoother and quieter.
  • stumack1stumack1 Member Posts: 56
    ...while I agree that the AC compressor issue was likely an isolated incident, there is no question that if that happened to me and it was my money on the table, that would have been the end of any consideration of GM...ruski, I agree with your assessment of the ride, that's a good description. Actually overall I think the '97-'03 GP was a better, more attractive overall package. The sales numbers will be interesting...I'm here in the "factory town" and there aren't many on the road yet, and I recall the '97 was everywhere when it first came out (and it wasn't built here).
  • sindibadsindibad Member Posts: 5
    Every person is entitled to his opinion. There is a professional not corrupted opinion, or just dislike to certain auto. As you know some peoples like to drive a stone age car, some like to drive an expensive car that is does not pass the 4 cylinder. We do have our taste, amd admirations. Please do not sell me your advise , or none sense idea, while I am paying for it. I have a good judegement and sense to chose my own car, I will test it, drive it, look at it,and pay for it. I do not eat , or drink in my car, I do not talk on the phone while driving, I care less about a cup holder in my car, I care less about leather dash board, I care less about a leather seating, or heated one. All I care about is a beautiful car with a powerful engine, excellent performance, good mileages, stability, and resale value, and in this case the Grand Prix never failed us. If I have a family I will buy them a mini van , and I do not crawl them in my Grand Prix Back seat either. Whether the Grand Prix is sporty sedan, or family car, or one person car. My aspiration and enjoyable driving experience performance always in the hearts as long GMC stil producing this beauty.
  • tkbettstkbetts Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2003 Grand Prix and just love it. I liked the lines on it better than the 2004 - the 2004 just seemed too boxy for my likings.

I actually work in the plant that builds the 2004 Grand Prix's and can tell you that there is definitely white. You should check out the Orange Fusion Metallic - it is gorgeous.
  • fred707fred707 Member Posts: 27
    Well... I leave the boad for one month and look all hell brakes loose. I received a motor trend survey in the mail a few days ago and Motor Trend wants to know whta I think... Hmmmm maybe I should call the execs at pontiac and use this as leverage after they set me up with that stupid pull ahead program.
    I'll bet you got a wicked deal on an 03 to boot!

;-)
  • bobbyz34bobbyz34 Member Posts: 10
    I've had my 2004 Sport Red GTP for almost 2 weeks now and I couldn't be happier. It handles the rough roads of Detroit very well. I get all kinds of looks and compliments. My largest hesitation was the interior but it's growing on me. Most everything feels and looks fine with a few exceptions.
    My only big beefs are the seat patterns for the cloth and the door handles. Otherwise it's a good layout and the seats are trez comfortable.

I saw a white one on the road today. 04 definitely comes in white.
  • chrisjerichochrisjericho Member Posts: 13
    Hi all. I test drove a GT1 and GT2 over the weekend and here is what I thought.

Positives: I thought the braking was very good. The handling was very good. The extra features in the GT2 like the radio controls in the steering wheel and the fold-down passenger seat were very nice.

Negatives: The cloth seats were, in fact, ugly. The back seat was small, the seat was too low and felt uncomfortable. I have two sons (ages 2 and 7) and I would like to be able to take this car on trips. The back seat right now is the biggest drawback to me. Also I thought the CD player looked cheap.

The engine exhibited characteristics of most fuel-injected engines. It revved a little high when I was accelerating on the highway and then the RPMs dropped down when I was cruising. I did not think it was that bad. My wife a 2002 Camry LE that has a 24 valve 3.0 V6. It rides smoother on the highway but the RPMs start to creep up once you get over 65. The Camry has a much nicer back seat. There is plenty of room for the kids. And there is a fold down armrest in the center of the seat that has a cupholder. :)

I really want to like the Grand Prix but I feel that it is too much money to spend on a car with some drawbacks. I am going to test drive a GTP at another dealership since this dealer did not have any non comp-g models. Maybe the GTP will drive so well that I will be willing to live with the back seat. Also I think if there was a $3K rebate on the grand prix I would be more likely to get just the GT2. The dealership told me that all they could offer was the $1,500 rebate.
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    I think one of the weakest parts of the new GP is the back seat comfort. It's ok, but not great compared to other sedans I have owned. I guess they have sacrificed some comfort for the flat folding seats. Works for me, as I rarely have anyone in the back and I carry longer items like skis, but for others I can see it being a draw back.

I actually don't mind the seat patterns, but I'm pretty easy about that kind of thing.

Over all, the car is a great cruiser and it definitely handles better than a Camry. Quality and reliability are A-1 so far after a few months of service.
  • chrisjerichochrisjericho Member Posts: 13
    My wife's camry also has the flat folding seats and the back is still very comfortable. I think the reason the GP back seat is not so good is that there is not much room to work with. The big trunk and the coupe styling in the back both cut into the room available for the back seat.

The cloth pattern still reminds me of something from the 80s.

The GP has the Camry beat hands down on handling. That is the main reason I want to buy it for my car. I do not drive much on the highway for my daily commute. The only time I would be able to cruise on the highway is when I am on a trip with the family. At this point I am wondering if I should wait until the 2005 models come out to see if the back seat improves.
    Back seat is not that great, no doubt about it. I think it could be reworked a little inside to make it better though. It will be interesting to see if there are any changes for 05. I generally like the car a lot and with a few small changes to the fabric patterns and back seat comfort it could be much better.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I sat in an 04 GTP on the weekend and I don't know how it could be called anything but bad unless no large midsize vehicles could be called bad in the back seat area. Ten minutes later I sat in a cheaper Acura TSX which is a much smaller vehicle and it was heaven in the back seat comparatively, about the same as my Intrigue or a bit better but not as wide back there.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    yeah but TSX doesn't come with a 260HP V6
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I guess the extra displacement and automatic transmission affects the ability to engineer a normal back seat.
    I wasn't thrilled with the back seat either. But I have a big truck to haul the family around in. I can still get a family of 4 in the GP to get around when needed. The GP is for me, and 90% of my miles are commuting. Thus the GP is perfect for me. That's why I ordered one. I don't care whether or not several magazine reviews trashed the GP or not.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    Though the new GP has been out a while now, I haven't seen more a half dozen on the road. Frankly I don't know why. The magazine reviews, thou hardly glowing, aren't bad. They're handsome in a masculine way and Pontiac has finally gotten rid of alot of the bogus cladding. The local dealers are discounting them nicely.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

the previous generation Grand Prix did NOT have a lot of cladding. It actually barely had any. Please do some research and don't confuse Grand Prix with Grand Am.
  • jlgoldenjlgolden Member Posts: 32
    I had evolved into an import fan after years of hearing how good the Japanese cars are. Also, after having a terrible experience with a 2001 Olds Alero, I thought I would never buy GM again. Well, after 16 happy months with a 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R (FUN!!!) I had no idea how pleased I could be with another American brand car. After looking at a new GP, I did online price research, read a few reviews, and then test drove one. After about 10 miles, I knew I wanted the car! With a good rebate, an additional $1,000 loyalty certificate, and a low interest rate, I now have a sport red GP GT-1. I love it! The level of refinement, fit & finish is unlike anything I have found at Pontiac before. Smooth, great-sounding 3800 V6, classy interior, and sexy styling. Great choice!
    Congrats!

I still have to test one. Wouldn't mind trying one this afternoon but I fear the dealerships are probably all closed due to the rotating blackouts we are having up here.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    I was wondering if you were having blackouts in your area. Knock on wood, no problems in my part of the country. And thats a good thing as it was 93 here yesterday afternoon. Throw in about 70% relative humidity and A/C is a must.
    We got power back about 10 hours after the black out hit but some areas still have no power. They threatened rotating black outs until the nuclear plants get back on line but so far we have been ok all weekend. People are being pretty good about conserving power. Most stores have half their lights on and a/c set a few degrees higher.

Oh fun! At least I didn't get trapped in a high rise elevator.
    After 2.5 months of waiting, my fusion orange metallic GT2 was delivered last weekend. I'm like a kid in the candy store driving this car. No, it's not a perfect vehicle, but the features far outweigh any down sides to the car. And everyone is drooling all over my new ride. Neighbors, co-workers, relatives.....they all want a ride in a car in which they haven't seen the model or the particular color yet. It attracts a LOT of attention. That's one way to get your money's worth. BTW - When I ordered the GP there was only $1000 in rebates. When I bought the car, there was $3000 in rebates. Good things come to those that wait! :)
    Congrats! I'll bet that color attracts attention, especially on a new model. Saw a black GTP on the weekend at the Wendy's parking lot and it got a lot of looks just sitting there, even more when the attractive blonde got into it.

;-)

Are they giving $3000 cash back or is that with a loyalty discount?
    Congratulations. Did you get any options on you GT2?

Mine is simply a base unit. Of course the GT2 is fairly well equipped.

Had 12 hours of no power on the weekend. I understand the GM plant where the GP is made (Oshawa) is running pretty slow this week due to limited power supplies. Like Dindak said, the nukes are taking a week to get back on line.
  • garywgaryw Member Posts: 116
    How did you arrive at $3K in rebates on an '04. Are you using the loyalty rebate...my understanding is that the rebate is only $1500.
  • richm4richm4 Member Posts: 169
    Congrats on the new GP! I have a silver 04 GTP and after seeing the Fusion Orange color in person, really must say it looks great on that car!

If I realized how good orange looked back in April, I may have chosen that color instead.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    Cars Direct lists a Custom Accessories Package for the 2004 GT1 consisting of dual round exhaust tips, custom grille inserts, and a sport rear spoiler. Does anyone have photos of this package that they could share with us?
    Anyone put a K&N in a 04 Grand Prix yet?

I was told by a buddy that it would boost HP by up to 10% and yield better mileage. Figured that would be a good little investment. Do these things void any warranties?
    UP to 10% which could be 0
    I installed a K&N in my last car. You will not see any noticeable increase in HP or MPG. 10% increase is a farce. The engine does breath a little better, but you will need to combo the filter with a performance exhaust or a cold air intake to gain anything real.

On my GT2, I got the heads up display/enhanced driver info center, and the leather interior. The leather is gorgeous, and the HUD/DIC provides lots of gadgets to play with. It's almost like sitting at a computer while you're driving. Driving at night is the coolest experience - like being in the cockpit of a fighter jet, with all the red glowing instruments.

$3000 incentives includes $1500 rebate, $1000 Pontiac loyalty, and $500 bonus cash.

richm4: back in April the orange GP was not available. I think they began producing them in May. Two other colors - beige and graystone, are supposed to be available shortly.

One thing I am amazed it is the MPG for this car. The first tank of gas I just drove the car around town to break it in. Lots of stop and go only got me about 23 mpg. But yesterday I drove to Atlantic City and back. Driving between 45-60 MPH with a few stops here and there registered my average fuel economy at 32 MPG! That is amazing for a car and engine of this size. Even my Grand Am was not close to that. That is 4-cylinder car mileage territory. Although with a little more in-town driving that average will eventually go down.
    I have heard mixed things about K&N. My guess is you will get a few extra ponies, but not 10%.

Pontiac loyalty is going from one to another I'm guessing? I received a C$750 competitive discount in the mail last night but I'm not in the market unfortunately.

Gas mileage with 3800s is always good and often better than posted. Our 4 cyl Ecotec Alero does about the same on the highway as the 3800 though city mileage is better with the 4 banger.
    I put a K&N filter in my Intrigue and I did notice a slight improvement in upper end performance. Nothing noticeable in off the line or moderate acceleration. But then again, that car really doesn't come alive until your above 3500 RPM.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    From what I have heard and with my (little) knowledge about engines, most likely its only effect will be to shift the peak torque a bit further to higher RPMs, therefore increasing the power a bit too.

It's good and bad. Good because the engine will breathe better when passing on the highway, for instance. Bad because the low-end punch of the good ol' Buick V6 we all love will be sacrificed a bit.

So, if your driving habits and patterns are on the highway, it may be interesting to you. However, even then I wouldn't think that it's worth marring the warranty for.
    Do K&Ns void the warranty?
    I wouldn't try to get a repair in the intake and throttle body areas with a K&N filter on...
    there are two kinds of K&N filters - drop-in that go into the air box and cone type that replace the airbox.

You will see improvement in power with a cone filter because there is no restrictive airbox around it.

With a drop-in, you are still limited to the size of the airbox's intake.

About shifting the power curve - I don't think it shifts. I think the car keeps on breathing well at low RPMs and breaths better at high RPMs. I think this just helps keep the power curve straight at the high RPMs instead of eventually dropping off.
    Thanks for the clarification about the types available.

However, if the cone-type results in a shorter total length of the path that the air goes through (as I believe it does), it'll change the induction tuning of the intake manifold favoring higher RPM at the cost of the breathing efficiency at lower RPM, thereby reducing the low-end torque.
    Saw in the paper they are offering C$2000 cash back or 2.9% financing on the 04 up here. First incentives I've seen.
    I've got a K&N sticker(came with the filter) on the airbox of my Intrigue and as many times as it has been in for service, I'm sure it has been seen. Major mods may void the warranty, but simply using a K&N filter will not.
  • #noname#noname Member Posts: 58
    I concur - I had a K&N on the previous car and never had any warranty problems and had it serviced many times at the dealer.
    there is a something-Magnuson act. It is a law that states that intake mods like air filters cannot void warranty.
    This act seems to apply only to that type of K&N filter that doesn't require changing the air-box though.
  • kendridkendrid Member Posts: 97
    I have a 99 GT that has run flawlessly for 85,000 miles.

In the last three months, about once a month when I start the car it will shake. If I give it a little gas the car will stop shaking and then run fine. This happens when the engine is cold and also after it has been driven.

Last week when I started it up it shook so bad I shut it off after about 3 seconds. After turning it back on it was fine.

Any ideas as to what this might be? I am obviously out of warranty and unfortunatley I do not have a dealer I trust.

As a side note: I used to drive a 99 Intrigue w/ 3.8 (the 99GP was my wifes car...she now has a 03 Envoy XL SLT). My Intrigue did the 'shake' three or four times in the last year I owned it. Seems like it might be something others have run into with the 3.8 Series II.
This discussion has been closed.