Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    No rear window defogger interference with the radio here. I have heard of cases where the connector to the defogger was loose, and this was the result.

No, I don't want another Impala--too many wonderful features on my 2000 didn't make it to the 2004's, from the PRNDL console indicator to the coin holder to the driver's seatback pockets, to the glove box light, etc.

And I realise that most cars won't have the rear seat room that my Impala does....but there is no reason to have as uncomfortable space in the rear as does the current Pontiac Grand Prix...
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    Since the defroster is the one function that a driver tends to use immediately upon startup, it makes no sense for someone to tell you to wait 15 minutes until you turn it on. Sure, we'll just drive around blind for a while......
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Oh gosh, they took away the coin holder, 2 pockets and a light bulb. Ya, I wouldn't buy another one either.

;-)
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    Ran across this in my ramblings... GP with a V8

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2869&st- =0
  • bill233bill233 Member Posts: 4
    Air bag (srs) fuse was removed when car was new. Now srs light refuses to go off when fuse is put back in. Any idea on how to repair this condition.
  • jlgoldenjlgolden Member Posts: 32
    Response to bill233:
    Since there is a problem with the "SRS" air bag system, you need to let a GM dealer diagnose this thing. Don't mess around trying "this & that" on your own, unless you have air bag system experience! Otherwise, you'll be wasting your time, money, and patience!
    And possibly risking your life...either in the repair or in a subsequent accident should the repair be faulty. I agree with jlgolden, this is not something to be messing around with unless you KNOW what you are doing. And if you are asking questions on an Internet message board, with all due respect, you do NOT know what you are doing...
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I want to know where you drive because you go through alot of cars it seems like to me. I mean over the past decade you have had a Nissan Maxima, Chevy Impala, Olds Intrigue, Chrysler Concorde and I think you said you had a Grand Prix too. Just to add something in there Mazda would have made alot of money off of you because you said you really liked the Mazda 626 except it was very very hard to find with ABS from 1992-2000. To go through cars like that is unbelieveable to me. Some people go through a cars every 3 years but they lease every 3 years.
    Leasing is NOT an option for me. I never had an Olds Intrigue. I drive 35-55 thousand miles a year, though my job with the Government just changed, which will cut my mileage by 10-15k, it looks like. I live and work in Western West Virginia.

My Impala has 143k on it right now. I also drive to the places where the objects of a passion I have are, amusement parks. In the past month I have been to Atlanta and to Orlando, on separate trips, and yes, I drove the Impala. In the last several months, I also went to Branson, MO twice (Celebration City has a new wooden coaster, and Dollywood will have one next year). There were numerous trips to Jackson, NJ to go to Six Flags Great Adventure, one of my very favourite parks.

As for cars, let's see the past ten years:

2000 Chevrolet Impala LS (143k on it right now)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (traded at 77k...Dad had Alzheimers and could no longer get in and out easily--the ONLY reason I traded it)

1995 Olds LSS (excellent car, traded at 81k, two months before GTP arrived--factory order--it blew a head gasket on IT's 3800, made me feel REAL good about buying another, then again it was not supercharged)

1994 Chrysler Concorde (owned 9 months, in shop more than half of that while I drove dealer loaners, Chrysler bought it back and I traded for the Olds, it had unbearable noises coming from the rear suspension that apparently could not be fixed, metal on metal noises...nice car otherwise, but...)

1992 Nissan Maxima SE--great car, 5 speed. Dropped by Chrysler dealer to see the new LH cars, dealer offered to buy SE at about 125 percent of retail, I bit, buying the LH at wholesale. Dealer had SE for over 18 months, finally sold to local Nissan dealer who ended up auctioning it off!

1989 Ford Taurus, program car bought used in 1990with 11k on dial, traded for Maxima at 84k. Always wanted to own a Taurus, got that out of my system.
    Oh it was a 95 LSS not an Intigue. My bad there.

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad by the way.

On a side note with your Amusement park hobby I have never been to Six Flags in Jersey and as you I live in New Jersey. I can never go on a ride like the scream machine. That would scare me to death.
  • 3and143and14 Member Posts: 36
    I had to express my agreement with those who felt the current GP's back seat is inadequate. I recently made the mistake of not sitting in the back seat on a test drive. The next day, very close to pulling the trigger on a new GTP, despite reservations about the interior styling, I took it for another spin but this time briefly sat in back. I couldn't believe how little room and how claustrophobic feeling it was back there. I knew right then I wouldn't be purchasing the car.

Pontiac really compromised the interior utility of the car in the name of a coupe-like silhouette; giving potential buyers less perceived room than in a Grand Am is not the way to win them.
  • scott13713scott13713 Member Posts: 11
    Alright, i have just pruchased myself a 92 gp and i am hving troubles with the glovebox. Trouble is the previous owner never used the glovebox and her didnt know the combination. So imstuck with a glovebox that doesnt open. any way i can get it open???? do i have to take it apart? anything i can do so that the automatic trunk switch is available to me
    thanks
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    If you want a bigger back seat get a Bonnevile, or a minivan.
    But perhaps we don't want a Bonneville or a minivan. GM did itself no favours building that back seat in this car.

I had a 98 GTP. Loved it. That back seat is keeping me out of this one. And no, I won't be buying some other GM car, in all probability. As it looks now, that back seat helped to push me into what is probably going to be a 2005 Most Honorable Subaru Outback. (At least GM owns 20 percent of Fuiji Heavy)
    Whatever.

Anyway, relative bought a 2000 GP with the suprcharged V6. Can it run on regular 87 or middle 89 octane gas?? Probably asked before, but there's no search feature here.
    It CAN, but why bother? The engine computer will detune the engine to use regular. For maximum power, you MUST use premium...

And the search feature is right above the posts on your right...
    Oops, I didn't see serach. Does it search through all the posts for keywords or topic headings?

My aunt wants to save gas money, she got the GP since it had "Pizzazz", but couldn't care less about the S.C. It's red and she didn't like the Buick LeSabre (too boring). She was limited to one car dealer's lot, since they were friends.
  • vangellvangell Member Posts: 1
    Have a 98 GP GT. Wierd problems that don't happen all the time. While driving or idling car will turn off and then right back on, like a hiccup. Then would turn off completely while driving or idling. Then started not turning over when trying to start for a few minutes. These problems don't happen on a regular basis and the mechanic is baffled. They replaced the fuel pump system and the ignition switch, but still problems. Also, it idles roughly when in drive and will sometimes shutoff. Anyone had similar problems and how did you fix them?
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    Your intermittent problem sounds very much like what we experienced with a 1989 Sunbird which had a fuel injector go intermittent(at about 95k miles). Car would sometimes skip a beat in the beginning and then after a few weeks would just die. Pull over, wait a few minutes and it started right up.
    Part of the problem with the back seats is that they installed the driver's package, or whatever they call it. Which allows the front passenger and rear seats to be folded flat. I'm not sure many GP buyers are concerned with this functionality. Although I must admit I used it recently when I had to get some long poles inside the GP. It did work very nice.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Versatile indeed, but did it need to be flat? I've had a Stratus, an Alero and an Intrigue with such feature and the fact that not one of them folded flat ever made a difference.

Rear seat is very important to me, because I like my kids to travel comfortably, yet despise minivans and SUVs.

I guess that I'll have to wait and see what the new Regal (LaCrosse) is about... Buick already has access to the new 3.6 V6 and perhaps the LaCrosse will not only have better rear seats, but also one of the best V6 of the industry. Let's just hope that it doesn't look too much like a Buick...
    "Grand Prix, up 16 percent with 12,582 deliveries, its best November sales since 1978"

Looks like sales are picking up steam now.
    And both camry and Accord sales are down. Loks like they aren't going to "take over" after all.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    the 225 a month lease deals and incentives seem to be helping the sales.

but still camry and accord sales are far ahead of GP sales.

The Mazda6 gains are likely coming at the expense of Camcord.

Actually the Impala has impressive gains and actually might take some sales from Camcord. No doubt a lot of those are still fleet sales though.
    One other thing, Camries and Accord don't sell "without incentives" anymore. I saw an ad today with $750 rebate in new Camries, and local Honda dealers still have left over 2003's, under the banner "Honda year end clearance".
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Can you please tell me where you got the sales figues for the Grand Prix??? I'm looking allover the internet and can't find omnthly and weekly reports...
    Please post a link if you can, thanks :)

P.S. It seems America is comming back! Hurray Pontiac, Chevy, and Mazda(ford)!
    www.media.gm.com

GP is a nice car and well priced in the base and GT2 form. Glad to see it's selling better. Less incentives than the old, no doubt about that. 0% available up here but only for 36 mo.
    It's a more viable car now, it may not get the "absloutely must be an import" buyer, but it is doing well.
    Camry and Accord built in US and quite a bit if each of them designed here....I would call them American.....
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    It's funny to see Oldsmobile falling less than Buick...
    All the profits go overseas though as does the control.
    what control. the last go round with camry and accord more design work was done here than ever before.....

want the control back, build a better car....simple task.

profits for us companies go to

-stockholders
    -executives

doesn't benefit the general public much unless you own stocks.
    I've certainly noticed many more GPs on the road recently. But I still haven't seen another orange GP in action yet, only on dealer lots.
    My pension owns Ford and GM. Lots of them do.

Control.. where decisions come from.

Toyota / Honda = Japan.
    With camry and Accord sales down are exterior loos now becoming more important to the average buyer? The Altima is doing well as heck. 6 sales have picked up. What is going on here? I thought Honda and Toyota owned the mid size category.

Also the Grand Prix deigned to sell 100,000 units same with the Mitsubishi Galant. The Mazda 6 Mazda wants to sell 70,000 units a year in the US. The Altima sells 150,000 units a year.
    People are realizing there is lots of good cars on the market and with all the little issues the new Accord seems to have and the old look of the new Camry, everything else certainly looks more attractive. I think the 6 is the best looking car in the segment, I hope the Pontiac G6 has a similar look.
    "What is going on here? I thought Honda and Toyota owned the mid size category."

"Thought" is right. Shows that it's not what people "think", it's what they truly know.
    Altima does killer business. I could really care less which car I buy, regardless of how it might affect any portfolio I have. If I like what I like, that's what I buy.....don't care what name is on it. I work too hard for my cash to let peripheral stuff like that get in my way.

I think sedan sales as a whole may be on somewhat of an uptick.
    Altima is a very nice car except for the rear lights which are hideous. V6 models are a bit pricey also.
  • james136james136 Member Posts: 1
    jan 04 issue calls car mediocre. Highs listed were contols only.Lows listed were ride,braking,access, driving visibility,rear seat,fuel economy,no childproof door locks.they state scores were so low they rated it last among family sedans including impala,kia,taurus,malibu.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    You can spin this any way you want, say cam/cords are made in USA and what not, the facts are the same Japanese execs gain power and our loose it. The Japanese ppl care less of America than American ppl do, if you won't defend yourself, no one will do it for you. And these new names from Nissan??? Titan... Armada! It sounds like someone is getting vengence for WWII, we have to fight back. The front is business, Pontiac/Nissan, Ford/honda, Cadillac/Lexus...

It is exactly that, many people work way too hard for their money to give it up to foreign executives and foreign control.
    Its all a matter or perception. No way am i saying Buy American just because, but if you are an American, should this not be at least a factor in your descision making process? We all work too hard for our money to say otherwise.

I said this b4 on another forum, remember JFK "Its not what your country can do for you, Its what you can do for your country."

P.S. thx dindak for the link :)
    I saw an ad for a Nissan dealer and they had rebates on the Armada already. Looks like they aren't going to "roll over" the Big 3's trucks that easy.
    Don't think the truck market will be as easy as the car for them. Truck owners are the most loyal owners around and I don't think any of the domestic brands are particularly poor in terms of quality.
    "Japanese execs gain power and our loose (sp) it"

I have the same contempt or care for mega paid execs regardless of homeland. I don't have any real concern for a Detroit exec who makes half a mill. He certainly can get by with half that. As far as the 'common man' I don't think it means squat of difference to those involved whether Joe building a Malibu in KC gets 20 bucks an hour there or Don in Canton, Miss. gets 20 bucks an hour building a Titan. No net diff to the working class.

And shouldn't we be appalled then, that we're letting Canada build all our cars? Aren't they 'foreign' also? Rules the Grand Prix out right away for you.

"getting vengence for WWII"

oh geez, that was like 60 years ago. I can't believe anyone would let that factor into a purchase decision. Didn't a Japanese soldier just die in Iraq?

"No way am i saying Buy American just because"

no, actually it sounds like you are.

"but if you are an American, should this not be at least a factor in your descision making process?"

sure, if the products are equal. The best way to make that a factor would be to build equal or better products. One that we want instead of ones you might be guilted into buying.

What should be rewarded with purchase dollars is product excellence (based on your judgment of excellence). This builds our competitiveness, our drive to be the best. The goal is to be the best.

You must feel abhorred my the thought of a Mexican built Chevy truck or worse yet, a Chevy with a Chinese motor. That gentleman in China is building your Chevy.

In theory if we have true free trade, our exports = imports and the net result is the same. In the process we get more choice, and competition. It drives up the quality of our products. And everyone gets what they really want.

We could move this discussion to another topic if need be.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    "We could move this discussion to another topic if need be."

Please do. This is not the right place, as you very well know.

:-)
    I predict the GP will go RWD next cycle, and the Bonneville name will go away.
    will do
    Tell us what you really think though.

;-)
  • gunitgunit Member Posts: 469
    CR tested the GT2 at 8.3 seconds 0-60mph. The previous generation was 8.0 or faster. That has been noted by several auto magazines. Everybody is making their newer cars faster and the Pontiac made theirs slower, LOL. Of course the NEW GTP is faster then the old one. But since CR doesn't ever seem to test the best grand prix, we won't know...

Not sure if anyone saw the latest Consumer Reports, but they tested the Grand Prix GT2 against the Impala, New Malibu, Taurus, Kia Optima.

The Grand Prix GT2 was rated the WORST of that bunch?? It was rated the worst of any V6 sedans that CR has tested thus far?? Mediocre car.

The car isn't very agile, noisy brakes, cramped interior, cramped backseat. stiff ride. Jiggly highway ride. Car isn't very nimble, isn't very sporty.

How do they rate the KIA better? LOL. whatever.

As usual, NOTE how CR did NOT test a GTP or Comp GTP. Yet they tested the BEST Malibu, etc.

This happened back in a yr or two ago, when they tested the BEST Accord V6 and BEST Camry V6 against the grand prix GT. Why no GTP which would have spanked both? the accord/camry tested were more $$ then the GT.
  • gunitgunit Member Posts: 469
    One thing to note... why did GM take the childproof door locks AWAY from the 2004 GP redeisgn? DUH!

The 1997-2003 Grand Prix had them, why not the new 2004? LOL

Also note the NEW Malibu and 2004 Impala don't have them either. Whats up with GM?
This discussion has been closed.