Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

1818283848587»

Comments

• jabond23jabond23 Member Posts: 3
    I have a very strange problem that has never happened to me before. everyone always gets a kick outta this.

I was driving to work one morning back in early july and went to turn on my a/c to keep me a little cool on the highway. As SOON as i turned it on the fan come on and stayed on. Even if i turned the knob for the speed control to off it would still stay on as well as when i turned the car off and took the key out it stayed on as well. Now i'm not a mechanic by any means, but i do understand the basics of how cars work. I'm pretty sure its an electrical problem but not sure where to look. Its not the switches (for the speed, temp, and vent selection) because once you disconnect them it still stays on. I've checked ALL the fuses and relays and they're all good still. The only way to get the fan to turn off is to disconnect it behind the dashboard where the climate control switch is also plugged in. But because of this i cannot use the a/c, heat, and rear defroster. Not having a/c is ok, but when it starts to get colder out, especially in jersey, its not going to be fun with no heat.

please let me know of any suggestions on the problem as i'm sure a mechanic would have field day with this! thank you!
  • jabond23jabond23 Member Posts: 3
    My stereo has a couple bulbs burnt out as well, none on the dashboard, but not sure if i can just replace the bulbs as well either....
  • kairnskairns Member Posts: 8
    It appears the dealer has to remove the radio and send it out to some after market place to have the bulbs replaced. Too much of a hassle for me and probably tremdously expensive as well. I'll simply live with a couple of missing radio button lights.
  • rialto88rialto88 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04 GP with 40k miles. I've had this car for over a year. The car is idling rough. This started yesterday. I replaced the front three plugs however I'm having problems pulling the rear three out. Not enough room for leverage to pull the spark plug boots. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Glen
  • gpguygpguy Member Posts: 1
    The HUD on my 2004 GP stopped functioning, There is no sign of any operation. Does anyone know where the fuse or fuses are for this? I didn't see a labeled power source at the fuse panel on the passengers side, Is there another location?
  • edwalk1edwalk1 Member Posts: 1
    had same problem. On passenger side kick plate there is a fuse panel and there is a fuse box. for me it was not the case. Took it to te dealer $860 dollars for new and install. '04 45K mles w/o warranty. :mad:
  • jal012773jal012773 Member Posts: 63
    I have a 2004 GT2, 28,000 miles. There is a constant humming/buzzing that is just barely audible when pressing the accelorator. The pitch of the noise changes with the RPMs of the engine. I'm not concerned about the noise itself, as my Hyundai Sonata does the same thing. My concern is that occasionally, mainly after hard accelerations, this noise gets so loud it almost drowns out all other noises in the car. It will last for several minutes, one time lasting a few days. It gets progressively quiter until it is back to normal level after the car has been driven a while. Does anyone have any insight on this? It is very intermittent, so I don't want to mess with a dealer just yet.
  • torybtoryb Member Posts: 3
    draw a map of where the plug wires go to the coil pack . then remove the coil pack you will have to feel your way to the plugs . there is 2 bolt per coil that need to be removed . hope this helps
  • tsmedleytsmedley Member Posts: 1
    Car wouldn't turn over so I thought it might be something wrong with the battery since the lights were also very dim in the car, had a friend jump it and that didn't help turn it over so charged it with a 10amp charger and that didn't work either so had it tested at autozone and there's nothing wrong with it. The battery cables looked fine to me but I'm not 100%. The fuses are fine. Any idea of what else it could be? I'm trying to figure out if it's something I could fix on my own instead of having it towed to a shop since I'm not the most knowledgeable with cars.
  • wannablowitupwannablowitup Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 grand prix with the 3.8l just broke 100000 miles in it, I just had a new tranny put in it wich costed me 2000 to put in and after about two weeks of it getting fixed it started to have a intermittin misfire I replaced the coil pack and put in new plugs and wires but it did not fix the problem has anyone had this issue if so how'd you fix it? :mad: I'm just getting tired of dumping money into a car that i have had nothing but issues with. thanks in advance
  • spadeset08spadeset08 Member Posts: 1
    i knew the onld style you hooked to the disributer cap and it read through there, but now it switched to coils and i have no idea, is there anyone who could help me, tach has 4 wires, i know one is ground and pos, im pretty sure i just dont know others, if you know how and are 100% sure how to hook up please let me know thanks so much if you could please write me at spadeset08@live.com i dont come on here often
  • tnlady50tnlady50 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2000 Grand Prix and for about the last 8 months when you go up and incline the car starts cutting out. Runs ok on flat road. Changed the fuel filter no help. Could the 10% ethanol they are putting in gas be the problem. My trip coumper went out afew days ago. Any way to fix it without costing an arm and 2 legs? lol First one side of it went dim and then month later it went completely out!!
    Thanks for any help!!
  • albertagxpalbertagxp Member Posts: 1
    I am searching for custom grills, dash kits, and exterior trim for my 2006 GP GXP. I have searched throughout the internet, but has come up empty. Suggestions anyone?
  • silver08gxpsilver08gxp Member Posts: 1
    Inside Line- you are off on the quarter mile and 0-60 numbers. I was able to run consecutive 14.3 and 14.4 quarters at 98 mph in Montgomery, AL on a hot humid night. 6.8 seconds to 60 is way off. Hell, Car and Drive clocked 5.7 to 60. BTW- the torque steer on my 08 GXP is not bad at all. GM's engineers made sure that wider P255 Potenzas corrected that problem with P225 Potenzas on the rear. The trick works and I do happen to enjoy my interior.
  • fordfanaticfordfanatic Member Posts: 3
    My sister's father-in-law has an '04 Grand Prix that has been his company car. He's offering to sell it to my sis for $6500 which is what his company wants for it. She's a radical sports car fan (would rather buy a rebuilt '92 Stealth to replace her '92 Mitsu 3000GT twin turbo, but hey, that's my sis!) Anyway, she thought I would like it, and I do!

(BTW, if anyone wants to buy that 1992 3000GT, contact me and I'll let my sister know. It's a cherry.)

My handle notwithstanding, I am currently driving an '02 Chevy Malibu (urp) due to the Great Recession. My current budget doesn't really include replacing it but this is too good not to give it serious consideration.

I don't have the details yet - don't know mileage or repair history or options, for example, but his parents take care of their things, so I have no reason to believe the car is hurt. I certainly don't think it's been wrecked.

Can anyone think of a reason NOT to grab this car? CarMax is asking $12k for their '05s. I don't care so much that Pontiac is now a dead brand, in fact I rather relish the idea of driving something like that. I'm not hard on a car and do expect to be able to return to driving more expensive cars someday - my '05 MB E320 CDI spoiled me forever.

I'll drive this until maybe I can afford the new Taurus SHO, at any rate - then happily drive my GP in the Old Farts parade in another 25 years.

Your input greatly appreciated!
  • designergaldesignergal Member Posts: 2
    I've had my GP 2004 for 4 years now and I have little problems with. It rides nice and i drive it through some wicked snow storms in winter. Not much more to say that I have enjoyed it!
    Lynn :)
    I have a '04 GT2 and am happy with the reliablilty of it, but that's about it. It only has 32k miles with only one problem. Had to replace the power steering rack and electrical switch in the steering column, all at around $700. That said, if my wife would agree to get rid of it (it's actually her car) I would in a heart beat. I'm only 5'8" and have less than an inch of head room. The center stack is too thick making it feel cramped. The ride is not that great, and the power is not as strong as my Hyundai Sonata. The interior has many parts pieced together, allowing a multitude of rattles and squeaks. It's not a bad car, but there are definitely better out there.
  • heather27heather27 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Grand Prix Check Gas Cap light keeps coming on...I have tried to clear it as the manual describes - drove the mileage indicated it is supposed to clear by, but it just keeps coming on and it's really starting to annoy me. Does anyone know what needs to be done to correct this problem? :confuse:
    I appreciate the feedback. You have to remember that compared to my Malibu, the GP seems like a Rolls at this point. I drove the car and it's remarkaby tight for 65k mi. Thanks again for your reply,
  • chiefpontiacchiefpontiac Member Posts: 3
    Have you guys seen Savingpontiac.org? Wouldn't that be nice to have the brand go on forever....A new Grand Prix?
    I admit I've scratched my head over GM's decision - but I guess Buicks will sell better in China. Personally, I'd have dumped Chevy as a trash brand (excl. Camaro/Corvette - which could stand brand-free IMHO). Develop out the G6/GP as sport-oriented import contenders and introduce a mass-appeal new-fuel people's car a la the original Beetle. (Volt in production? I don't think so). Pontiac is a proud American name, so this tree-hugging car lover (oxymoronic? not necessarily.) thinks GM could have appealed to the next gen by evolving Pontiac into a brand that represents the best of nature... the Pontiac Fire, Sun or Star, maybe, in homage to the -fires and -birds of yore.
    Fordfanatic....we are trying to work on that very thought....Let's build a car that appeals to people that they want to own! That is what we hope to accomplish. Savingpontiac.org
    I'm wanting to purchase a remote start w/ keyless entry for my 2004 GP GT2. I've talked to two retailers so far and both are trying to sell me an extra relay module of some kind. Is this really necessary? One mentioned it has to do with an antitheft immobilizer on the car. Does this car have that? There is nothing inside the car "advertising" anti-theft anything.
  • keelinkeelin Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have a step by step plan to remove & replace the factory speakers?
    Thx!
  • 694door694door Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting to change out the driver door on my son's '95 Grand Prix. Got a door from the salvage yard, but I need to swap the outside moldings. I'm not sure and the Haynes manual doesn't show how to get them off. Can anyone tell me how to get them off so I can swap the moldings?
    Thanks,
  • pontiacs4evrpontiacs4evr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix, check gas cap light keeps coming on along with engine light, (not flashing) which in the Owner's manual says could be emissions.

I live in MN and as the weather warms up sometimes it goes off and when it's cold outside it comes back on.

I repalced with OEM gas cap from GM dealership and light still comes on, I went to Auto Zone and their code checker just comes up with large vacuum leak. Anyone have any ideas for me?
  • ghelmerghelmer Member Posts: 1
    If you check under the fender wall near the filler cap there is an canistar looking valve that is installed in the filler vent line. This is defective. Im in Canada and it is about $40 dollars at GM and is very simple to replace about 10 mins. I replaced 3 caps before being told this is a common problem.
    This should solve your problem
  • jmcuencajmcuenca Member Posts: 1
    hi.

I have the same problem with my 1997 and I can not even find where the sensor is located, can you please tell me where the sensor can be found/

Thanks

picture would be great....
  • vortex_modsvortex_mods Member Posts: 1
    good man! hold on to these cars, I own a red '90 LE coupe 3.1 and I only paid $500 and it has NO RUST ANYWHERE. It'll be an antique in 5 years, and its a car thats got character and its fun to drive
  • brokenmercybrokenmercy Member Posts: 1
    I found a Pontiac Grand Prix on Craigslist that was on a dealership. I went and looked at it the guy said that the Intake Manifold Gasket needed to be replaced. Well the oil is white which leads me to believe that it is the Head Gasket that is bad. I need to know 100% what is wrong with the car before I buy it. I don't see how an Intake Manifold Gasket could cause moisture to get in the oil. Any advice helps. :confuse:
  • luweegyluweegy Member Posts: 3
    You have a blown head gasket which means there was another problem that caused that.Bad water pump or cooling fan inop maybe. It will probabaly use oil when your all done with repairs.Most cars do that have been overheated enough to blow the headgaskets.
  • davepond88davepond88 Member Posts: 1
    Had a complete gasket job (both heads, intake, exhaust, etc.) done, oil changed, antifreeze changed... Less than 1,000 miles later today, all of a sudden the engine is knocking like crazy (speeds up with acceleration), idle fluctuating between 6-900 at stop, cutting off/stalling at stoplights, etc.. I can`t get a hold of the mechanic who worked on it - it`s too late on a Friday afternoon - but I have to imagine it`s not a coincidence - even he remarked at the time that everything else looked great? Help!
  • pitbullpoppypitbullpoppy Member Posts: 1
    Hi all! I just bought a red 2001 grand prix gt 1 owner car!! All maintenance records were on the car fax report it only has 59000 miles!!! I love this car probably the best car i have ever owned!!
  • ctdunnaganctdunnagan Member Posts: 8
    if that gp has the 3800 engine with the plastic intake, it is very possible that all that is needed is an intake and gasket... 3800 have a serious problem with the egr port burning a whole in the intake into the water jacket .. which puts antifreeze in the oil or exaust depending on when it blew ...
  • stephz1stephz1 Member Posts: 1
    Recently my "service variable effort steering" light came on. I took it to my mechanic and they said it was my rack & pinion. $1200 later, my light is still on and now my cruise control isn't working too. I took it to the dealer where I purchased it and at first, they told me the same thing, it was my rack & pinion. I explained everything that I had replaced 2 months ago and they rechecked it. They said its my EBCM module and that it's a $985 job. Anyone else experience this issue and do you have any suggestions?? Thank you!
  • rickeyralstonrickeyralston Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue w/ others as well for my 2004 GTP.. I just un hooked the plug at the bottom of the dash on the passenger side and I can get it to stop running, and then plug it in when needed, but since then I have taken it out because I tried to buy the part for it and couldn't read the # on it so when i did they lied to me as GM CS with the price and I don't have the money for it...
  • chriso5chriso5 Member Posts: 8
    I just bought my GTP with 70,000 miles yesterday and love it! :)

Does anyone know the brake line diameter size? I believe there are two different sizes depending on which line needs replacing.

Thank you!
  • pumpkingtpumpkingt Member Posts: 2
  • pumpkingtpumpkingt Member Posts: 2
    I have no heat in my 04 Grand Prix. I just changed the t/stat and that did not help. Coolant in full, was flushed a few years ago, no coolant leaks, blower fan works fine. Any thoughts?
  • chriso7chriso7 Member Posts: 34
    I recently bought the car with <70k miles. I was driving last weekend and the rear drivers side strut cup (below spring) collapsed onto my tire and consequently I wore the tire (1" wide piece) down to the steel belt. I had thought the white smoke emanating from it was due to an exhaust issue.

Unfortenatly, I noticed inside the trunk that the quarter inch wide machine weld facing the fender surrounding the bearing plate where the strut bolts to was cracked (or split) 70% of the way through.

Most likely due to the stress reflected back to it from driving it about 3 miles on city roads.

Does anyone know if this impacts the structural integrity or is inconsequential? What is the best way to fix it?

Thank you. :sick:
  • charmoncharmon Member Posts: 1
    My son has this car, and the motor is blown. I have been looking for used motors for it, but ghow can I tell what series motor is needed? He is going to use his existing supercharger, so does it even matter which 3800 series he gets?
  • josh55303josh55303 Member Posts: 3
  • josh55303josh55303 Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone:

I am having a couple of issues with my 2004 Grand Prix. I've had the car for approx. 5 years now, and never really any problems, but went over 140K miles, so I know the sounds of my car and know when somethings wrong.
    I was driving home the other day and gave the car some gas to go when the car infront of me abruptly stopped to allow a car turn, to which I had to slam the breaks. But the car "semi-stalled & hiccup'd" from the gas I just gave it and then slamming on the breaks.
    Anyways, after that and pulling out onto the highway I could hear what sounded like a small grind coming from the drivers side front tire area. Very faint, but I could hear it, and then the car proceeded to "semi stall" a couple of more times when I would come to a stop at lights. I immediately took it to my garage for diagnosis. To which they couldn't find anything wrong other than some breaks, bearing, and sway bars that needed replacing. Thanks a lot!
    So problem is still there. The only real change is the "semi stall" isnt there anymore. I hear it when I drive, and it really picks up when I am parked on an incline, like in my garage. Small downhill grade for water to move down. But once I park my car you can really hear this "grind".

Also, there is some sort of water build up below the windshield and dash....anyone know how I can drain this water. Ive seen some posts about what I think is the problem, but haven't read a way to drain it.

Any thoughts on both??

Thanks
    JS
  • woosleywoosley Member Posts: 1
    have you tried the air breather the filter could be cloged.
  • fantaziofantazio Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Actually I hav ethe same problem with my pontiac grand prix gtp 2004. I took it to the mechanic and he told me the problem is rack and pinion whereas even when I pour steering wheel fluid in the car the alarm still exists, so the problem should be something rather than rack and pinion. please let me know if you found any solution for the problem. Thanks
  • fedboyscoutfedboyscout Member Posts: 1
    What is this part called and what is the part number?
  • theraztheraz Member Posts: 2
    I had the exact problem happen in my car except the hot air was coming out of the passenger side. We figured it was just the slider or some connection with the slider not registering where the control was set at. We just replaced the climate control panel/box and I have no problems now. FYI...the part at the dealer is about $450+ is what they told my dad. We got it at a junk yard for $68.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    You need to make sure that the bolt pattern of the engine matches with your vehicle. For example, a 1997 Grand Prix with the same engine may have a different bolt pattern than your vehicle. I would think that you could get this information from a Haynes a Chilton manual. Good luck.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Just purchased a 94 Grand Prix with 125k miles. I would like to hear about maintenance issues from Grand Prix owners that had owned one. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.