Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Of the upcoming 5.7L V-8 equipped Impala SS:

http://www.luckyjdr.homestead.com/ls1impala.html
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    OOOOHHHHHHH! That is too cool!

Is this slated for production? If they are displaying it in the factories, I'll assume it's "doable". When is it out? Pricing?

Thanks!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    do you know what the tail looks like?
    Last I heard is that the Impala SS is still scheduled for production for the 2003 model year. The "Prototype" on the pics has the Corvette's 5.7L LS1 V-8 engine. That baby easily fits in the current engine bay of the stock Impala LS (They had to stretch the track a few inches)but another V-8 of smaller displacement could well also make it in there. Expect MSRP prices in the $30K to $35K range which it still is a bargain in the performance sedan arena giving strong competition to the V-6 powered FWD near luxury Japanese sedans. Expect this car to command prices above sticker and quickly gain on the "Collector's" status. Anyway this new Impala SS will spank and blow off the doors of the late "Whale" 94-96 Caprice Impala SS.

Let's wait and see...interesting times ahead.
    Unfortunately the pics don't reveal much about the design of the tail section of the car, but I could observe a more "streamlined" rear decklid spoiler compared to the factory one installed on my stock Impala LS. However, I believe that the taillights on the production car will command six circular lights as the classic 1960's models. Dual exaust pipes are standard fare on this model.

If this baby makes it to the 2003 model year production, it would be the most powerful FWD W-body ever made since the 3800 Series II Supercharged Buick Regal GS and Pontiac GP GTP models. Expect the Montecarlo SS to follow this direction as well.
    Look at your next PONTIAC SPEEDSTER:

http://www.speedster.opel.com/

It has been confirmed by Motor Trend, that this is the final replacement for the longed lived F-Body Firebird/TransAm and will be on sale on Pontiac dealers by 2003.
  • bhowellgabhowellga Member Posts: 1
    I have a 91 GP with the 3.1L 6 cyl engine. I have been having trouble with the thing idling rough and when I come to a stop it stalls out or idles high. Anyone got any ideas about what it is. I have replaced the O2 sensor, the throttle position sensor(it looks like the one I put in is adjustable and I'm not sure that it should be, the idle air control valve, and the map sensor.
    I am open to any suggestions.
    bhowellga@aol.com
  • 96gs96gs Member Posts: 86
    I have a friend who has a '91 GP with the 3.1 for a work car. The engine threw a rod last week.
  • dcox87dcox87 Member Posts: 3
    I am considering turning in my Jeep Grand Cherokee when the lease is up. To many problems and I am on the road too much. Would anyone recommend a used Grand Prix (97, 98 or 99 @ $15 to $17K) as a good purchase with the idea of keeping it until it's done (100K miles or more)?? If so, any particular advice? I'm pretty big, 6'4 230 so I need a sedan with some room.
  • wkawka Member Posts: 14
    Finally started shopping for colors, probably Navy Blue, Black or Red. I've been to three dealers and every car has Graphite interiors. Is Graphite the only real choice or does any one have one with Taupe or Grey? BTW, A black GTP with Graphite had 70 miles on it and the computer said it was getting 8.6 miles per gallon average, I have to think that someone took the car out and beat the poor thing.
  • speedshiftspeedshift Member Posts: 1,598
    I think you'll fit okay. I'm 6'3' and do fine, but I'm about 50 lbs. lighter than you. My '98 GTP has been reliable, except for a tranny replaced under warranty--apparently not an unusual problem with the GTP. I'm on the road a lot too and when my lease is up in a few months I'll be looking at the Aurora or something like that, more refined than the Grand Prix. The GTP can beat you up, especially if the tires are inflated in the low 30s to sharpen the handling. Lots of rattles and road noise too. But it's great off the line, looks good and handles fair. I've sometimes wished I got the GT instead, and given up some torque for a few more mpg.
  • beaver5beaver5 Member Posts: 10
    I have recently bought a GTP and when the tempeture goes into the minus range I cannot keep the rear window clear of frost on the inside. I turn on the rewindow defroster but because it is controlled by a timer it shuts off before the window clears. It does defrost a little so I know the defroster is working. Turning the defroster on again results in a shorter on time. The result is it never gets clear even after driving 50 KM. Is this usual for this car or is something wrong with the defroster ?
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Here's a couple pics of the Grand Prix that I traded for a new Jeep Wrangler and a picture of my Granddog, who I wouldn't trade for ANYTHING!

tsjay

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1390023&a=10565856
    Hi Miss Toony!

Thanks for your visit in Wrangler IV. It's always a real treat to hear from you!

Don't be holding your breath when it comes to my getting tired of my granddog, Ross Allen Johnson. He's my best friend in the whole world!
    I try to take him with me everywhere I go, if there's any possible way that I can. If it were up to me, I just wouldn't even go places where he can't go too. (But, I do have to work for a living.)

Thanks for your compliment. I think he's beautiful too. He is also the sweetest, gentlest soul God ever put on the face of this earth. He has a ton of personality too, more than a lot of PEOPLE!

Oh well, I shouldn't have gotten started about Ross. I could go on all day. His Mom (my daughter) got him at the dog pound five years ago when he was only eight weeks old. Old Grandpa has loved him ever since the day he was brought home. The daughter is married and gone, but Grandpa has custody of Ross. I would have fought her for him, if she hadn't voluntarily left him with me.

tsjay
    Here's another link to some of my pictures. I thought you might want to see more of my granddog, and I need the practice anyway.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1390023&a=10575387

tsjay
    Hey, where is everyone?

I just wanted to wish all of my old Grand Prix buddies a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Come on over to Wrangler IV once in a while and holler at me.

I am still lovin' my Thelma Jane. I hope my old Grand Prix gets a good home. She was a great car!

tsjay
  • kingbobkingbob Member Posts: 6
    Test drove a new 2001 Grand Prix GT the other day and the salesman asked if I was ready to take it home. He told me he would sell at invoice, but got the feeling he wouldn't give me anything on a trade which I sort of expected. Couple of questions. Is paying invoice minus the rebate which I believe is $1250 a good price? Or can I do better? Final question is the leather interior worth the extra cash?
  • toon1toon1 Member Posts: 19
    I would think invoice minus the $1250 would be a pretty good deal for a 2001, but it doesn't hurt to shop around. Call a few other dealers if you haven't already. I paid that for my 2000 in September. Of course, here they were kind of hard to find with what I wanted on it. I think the leather is worth it; if I'm not mistaken the leather is on an upgraded seat which you would find more comfortable. Somebody help me there!!, that might not be correct.
  • jwoods4jwoods4 Member Posts: 21
    I am seriously considering a 2001 gtp purchase. My wife has loved the wide track body since 97. Before I plunk down 28large and 5 years of painful payments, I wonder if anyone could help out with a few questions. I read a bunch of owners surveys at various sites and came to the conclusion that there are some transmission concerns, trunk leakages, interior longevity issues, and general fit and finish problems. Are these valid issues or are they just jaded Toy-hon-mitsu-nissan drivers? I also saw that GM service depts. leave a little to be desired. T/F? Is OnStar all it's cracked up to be? What about the Bose speaker system? Is it a 6 or 8 speaker system? I have seen print stating both numbers, and the factory brochure says nothing about it. I have not yet driven a 2001 GTP due to my dealer not having one yet, but I did drive a 98. Is there any difference? Are there any other problems/issues/gripes that I didn't mention that maybe I should be aware of? This will be my wife's anniversary gift, and I plan to own the car for quite a long while, so any help on these or other questions or any advise on what to look for before purchase would be GREATLY appreciated!
    I just returned my leased '98 GTP and am missing it a lot. During the 3 year lease, I had only one issue that popped up right at the beginning and was quickly fixed under warranty - the tranny was shifting with a kick, turned out that some wire was grounding on something. Other than that, the car had no other problems and a lot of fun to drive. I found it perfect in any situation - long distance cruising or commuting in NYC and Miami traffic. It was simple - point and click. The power was always there when I needed it and the tranny shifted very smartly and smoothly.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    And what are you driving now?
    driving 300M now. Wife got an SUV, so I could not get another GTP.

300M is a great car but is not really a traffic fighter.
    Thanks. To hear that your 98 was trouble free is good news because 97-98 were the years most lambasted in the reviews. Maybe I won't get much negative feedback.

Does anyone own a 2001 GTP, that can offer the same insight, or even more, than ruski? (no offense, ruski, just looking for like model year info)
    Hey Toonie, Gal, haven't heard a peep out of you in a long while. What has happened to my Buddy?

I am still in love with Thelma Jane, but it would have been nice to keep the GP GT too. I don't know if they have sold her yet, but I hope she gets a good home.

Check out my two web pages. One is for the Jeep and one is for my granddog.

http://members.aol.com/tjoh298765/thelma.html

http://members.aol.com/tjoh298765/raj.html

Post or email me to let me know what you think.

Everyone is welcome to take a look at these. They are the first two web pages I've ever built, and they are very simple, but I think you will like them.

tsjay
    I thought this was an automotive board, not an overzealous pet owner board. Now I love pets as much as the next guy, but do we really need 10 links to your "granddog's" picture site? At least the jeep is a vehicle, but I thought this was a Grand Prix board, so can we at least loosely stick to it?
  • this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    What is the limited top speed of the car?
    You're right. Sorry. I just got carried away.

I had something I was proud of and excited about and wanted to share it with my friends in here. I was an active participant in here until recently, and had some friends here. I have no other means of communicating with these folks, since many of them don't make their email addresses public.

But, if I can post off topic, then everyone else can too, and if that happens, we would have a real mess here. You would have to wade through 50 posts to find one on topic!

So, I apologize.

tsjay
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    My condolences...
    I believe the artificial top speed of the GTP is around 135-140.
    I had both a '98 GAP and a '00 GAP. The '98 was totalled by some guy who ran a red light and "-boned" me (he was in an Aura, if that matters). I walked away. He went to the hospital. That event caused me to look at other cars. With insurance check in hand, I decided to buy another GAP (a '00). Zero problems with it the whole time I had it. I had looked at AL's, Accords, Bows, Maxims, A4s, Camrys, etc. Couldn't find a car for the money that offered as much fun as the GAP.

A few months ago, due to a sudden, unfortunate death in the family, I inherited a 300M. Love it, too. Not needing both cars, I put both up for sale. GTP sold first, so I kept the 300M.

Although I didn't own the '00 GTP for about a year, I found it to be as good as anything I had driven reliability wise. The drivetrain is a hoot. I personally believe that GM makes some of the best auto trannys in the world...smooth and reliable. In the cold, there were some minor squeaks, but above 40 degrees, these went away.

Bose stereo has 8 speakers. Stereo was very good, but not great. I'm comparing it to the Infinity in the 300M (which has 360 watts and 11 speakers).

As far as build quality, all my panels lined up correctly (on both GTPs). Paint was lustrous (look here to see the finish)http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1158985&a=8520256

I never had to take either GTP back to the dealer for anything other than tire rotations, oil changes and I replaced the air filter.

Gas mileage was exceptional on the highway. In town driving would kill MPG, though.

Seats were firm, but comfy. Loved the HUD. Ergonomics were very good. Some complained about the "hard plastic" look of the interior. I never had a problem with the look, though. Everything is brightly lit and easy to operate.

This was one fast car, too.

That brings us to the styling. I still find myself looking at other GPs on the road and admiring the way it looks. IMHO, it's one of the best looking mid-size sedans (or coupes) in production.

I wouldn't hesitate buying another if I was in the market. Maybe 2004 when they are supposed to bring out a new platform.
    the spell check thought that GTP should be spelled GAP...guess I'll manually spell check from now on.
    This is not another pet post!

I was just going to tell you that my 2000 Grand Prix GT sedan was a PERFECT car during the short time I had it. I only owned it seven months, but I put 19,9XX miles on it before trading it for the Jeep. It never once went back to the dealer for ANY kind of problem!

I would buy another one in a heartbeat! I would have kept that one if I could have done so and still bought a new Jeep.

tsjay
    Graphicguy, I do appreciate all of your insight. I do feel much better after reading your and other posts on the 00 and up GTP. I am confident that GM has worked most bugs out. I appreciate your time and answers to my questions.

Tsjay, I owe you an apology. I should not have been so rude to you in trying to get my point across. You have every right to post pictures of (most) any thing you like here. I was simply aggravated at, like you said "wading through...posts". No offense intended, and you really do have a nice Jeep.
    WOW! That is one beautiful GTP! My wife has her heart set on black with graphite interior, I liked the burgundy before I saw your pictures. I think I will show her your car before I order black. Nice home ,too, by the way.
    Your apology accepted, but I'm not sure you owed me one. You were right in what you said (but I guess you might have been able to say it a litte nicer, huh?). Ain't no biggie, though.

Anyway, no hard feelings, OK?

I think you would do well to buy a GTP! I sure didn't have a thing in the world against that GT of mine. I just wanted a Jeep REAL bad.

Good luck with whatever you buy. Be sure and let us know what you end up with. And post some pics!

tsjay
    tsjay... I definately will post some pics, as soon as I learn how. It will be late February before we will have our car due to some other factors, but my friend at our local dealer says we shouldn't have to order one. He seems to think he can find one close by so we will not have to wait an additional 6-10 weeks...just a couple of LLLLOOOOONNNNGGGG days. I'm sure you can relate to that terrible wait for a new toy to arrive! Once again, my apologies for my rudeness.
    Jwoods4:

Does your above post mean that you have made up your mind to get the GTP? If so, that's great! I don't think you will be sorry.

It may be standard on the GTP, but, if not, you really ought to consider getting the automatic dual temperature climate control. I had that in my GT, and it was GREAT! You NEVER adjust ANYTHING, once you've set the temperatures you want for driver and passenger. That system is smart enough to switch itself from heat to air conditioning as needed, and it controls the fan speed as needed. If the engine is cold, and you need heat, it keeps the fan on low speed until the engine warms up. That way it's not blowing cold air on you. The dual temperature feature didn't mean much to me, because I was almost always the only person in the car, but the automatic control of the cabin temperature was really nice! If you have the wife with you, and if she is like most women, she will want her side to be about 90 degrees. I liked to keep the temperature on both sides at about 70 degrees in my car, but the few times I had my wife with me, she was able to keep her side warm enough to make her happy, and my side stayed nice and cool.

(Now, ladies, don't get mad at me. You may not be like that yourself, but most women really like the temperature higher than we guys do.)

I can help you a little on posting some pics when the time comes, jwoods4. Photopoint.com has a free service that keeps your pics on their web site and they give you a link to publish to news groups so that people can just click on the link and see your pics. That was what I used in some of the earlier posts for pics of the GP and the doggy. Since then, I built a web page for the new Jeep and one for Doggy, and if you would like, I can give you a little help in building one for your car. Well, maybe I can. I'm just a rookie at that myself.

Catch you later, pal.

tsjay
    Thanks for the compliments.

A couple of other things came to mind. I think the interior materials in the GP will wear well. I admit that I'm a bit anal when it comes to the care and maintenance of my vehicles. But, I never saw any evidence of any wear, let alone accelerated wear, in the GTP's interior. Seats were treated with leather care products twice/year which kept them soft and new looking.

The engine and trans are very easy to maintain and have been in GM's stable so long due to their bulletproof longevity and the seemlessness in which they work together. The trans and engine work well together in the GTP. Engine has a nice "snarl" to it, too. I believe there was one fellow that had some problems with his GTP trans (and he posted many, many times about it), but he bought the car used and I suspect it was abused before he got it.

As far as the dealer network, I've always felt that you can find both good and bad ones (no matter what car line they represent). I would do as much research about a dealer's service dept as I would about the price of the car (maybe more).

For a primer of a bunch of car care fanatics, go to the Maintenance and Repair topic here at Edmunds and take a gander at the "Zaino" thread.

There was never any evidence of any leakage. Even though the GTP went through some pretty nasty midwest monsoons, no water ever made it into the passenger compartment or the trunk. It was tight as a drum.

My wife has a Toyota Avalon. In comparing the paint and materials, I think the GP gave up nothing to her toyota. Matter of fact, I think the body panels on the GP were much more robust and the paint was thicker on the GP (based on the ease in which the Avalon's paint "chips" and the feel of the metal).

As you can probably tell, like Ruski, I also miss my GTP.

Let us know what you end up with.
    Thanks to both of you for the info. I will definately be checking back here, and elsewhere in Edmunds, from time to time. I found out more here in just a few posts than almost anywhere else period, although gp.net was pretty informative. Tsjay, I may take you up on that training offer. And yes I (we) have decided on a 2001 GTP. Thanks again for the advise.
  • gtpboygtpboy Member Posts: 4
    the governor limited top speed of the gtp is 127
    Does any one has the scoop on the all new due for 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix and Buick Regal? I know that these will be the first GM Intermediates to switch from the current W-Body platform to the all new "Mid-lux" GM world car platform. I know the "Mid-Lux" platform is RWD capable as well as FWD.

Has anyone seen a sketch of the new models? Will they be RWD? Will they offer the 3.5L DOHC Shortstar from the current Intrigue? What about a Blown 3.5L?
    My wife and i bought a '00 gtp las march or so and love it. i had to talk her out of an exploere and a durango which was easy after driving them both. we also test drove the accord ex-v6 and the TL from acura. bot of these cars were too small inside for her.

But let me tell you the first time i mashed the throttle on our test drive of the gtp it was over for both my wife and i. the gtp met our criteriafor our new car. it had to have 4-doors be sporty and get good gas mileage. there were others but they were more for me. the gt would have been fine but my wife had to have the "p" or nothing.

say what you will this car is hot and we got ours with sunroof leather changer lojack and the polished 5-spokes for just under $25,500 with 3.9% financing which was $4000 less than the tl and the same price as the accord. we got our moneys worth and then some, this is the sportiest 4-door for under 30K hands down and we wouldn't trade it for anything.
  • greywolfgreywolf Member Posts: 51
    I've been reading much speculation on the specs of the next grand prix. There is no hard facts, GM is keeping it's lips sealed.

One source was adament that there would be no blown engine. As for RWD/FWD....nobody knows for sure.

Though don't expect too much, as I doubt GM will price the car much higher than it is now.
  • tiarossitiarossi Member Posts: 1
    I just found this board. Gotta say that I LOVE my '01 GT. I traded a 92 SE sedan, and there is no comparison.

I test drove half a dozen cars before getting the GT, and none of them offered the same combination of features, looks, driveability and price. The style and color even turn people's heads, something none of my cars have ever done. And I love the smell of the leather interior.

I think Pontic hit a home run this time.
  • karlsu99karlsu99 Member Posts: 3
    Hello. I'll be in the market for a new car this year, and am excited by all the good posts about the GP. I was wondering about the Heads-Up display. If you have it, do you consider it to be worth it? Is it distracting at all? I intend on test-driving one with the HUD, but wanted to get anyone's thoughts on it before hand.

Thanks!
  • lspanglerlspangler Member Posts: 102
    I recently test drove a '00 GTP and it was one of the funniest test drives I've ever been on. The car started and drove as expected. While sitting at the first stop light, I noticed the overhead console was barely attached to the ceiling, I touched it gently and it felt as if it would fall from the ceiling. we proceeded down the road and at the next light, I went to adjust the HUD and when I pushed the button, it fell into the dash and out of site, i kind of laughed and felt bad for the salesman, at the next light we came to a stop, the car coughed, sputtered and died. It re-started immediately but I'd had enough. The grand-prix is a beautiful car, it'd be even nicer in a stick, and after 20 years of GM products, I bought a Nissan Pathfinder. Gm has some very nice engines and drivetrains, it's to bad they can't build the rest of the car.

I say chrysler should style a car, GM should supply and engine and tranny and honda should build it. We'd all be happy then.
    hard to believe
    I loved the HUD on my 98 GTP. It was not distracting at all. If needed it can be dimmed or turned off.

I got used to the HUD so much that I never even looked at the regular speedo. I knew my exact speed at any given time.

Also it is a perfect combination of HUD and steering wheel mounted stereo controls - you see radio stations and CD tracks in the HUD and you don't have to take your hands off the steering wheel to change them.
    i have the HUD in our '00 gtp and i think its great, it even shows the turn indicators when they are being used. the only time when it doesn't work is when the sun is directly behind you and its a bright sunny day. in combination with the sterring wheel mounted controls i barely have to take my eyes off the road. all in all its a definite bonus when looking at new cars.

as far as build quality goes our overhead console is cracked and one of the window moldings doesn't line up something we will fix shortly at the dealer.

this is too all the gtp owners. I have a question is it me or does this car really like being on the freeway. around town it just seems want to go at full throttle and when i get it on the freeway it just purrs at 70-80 and gets almost double the gas mileage. i don't know but thats how ours feels. oh yeah and by the way to get the gtp to handle even better just step up to V or Z rated tires it makes a lot of difference.
  • kc_flynnkc_flynn Member Posts: 45
    Funny story about your test drive. I like and agree with your recipe for building the perfect car.
This discussion has been closed.