Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• toon01toon01 Member Posts: 18
    Of course I still wuv you. Unfortunately, I am actually having to work at work, and just haven't been over to see you. I know all is well with Thelma and I'm sure my beautiful puppy loves the ride. I bet he can't wait to get the top off when the weather warms a bit. Again, if he ever needs a home for whatever reason, I'll be happy to see to it that he is safe and secure! Be good!
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    'Bout time I heard from you! I still want you to visit us in Wrangler IV, though. It's about like this group- very few negative posts. People really love their GP's for good reason, and that's the way people are about their Wranglers.

If you want to see some real negative posts, go over to Jeep Grand Cherokee IV. Those things are giving people fits! They are beautiful vehicles, but they all seem to have problems. That's what I owned before the GP, and I had brake rotor problems and power window problems, but I still really liked the thing. It's a shame that such a nice-looking, smooth riding (for an SUV) vehicle with the world's best four wheel drive systems has so many reliability issues.

And, NO THANKS, you ain't gettin' my granddog! He is doing fine. He had a bath while ago, and that is not something that he likes at all! I have to go to work for a while tomorrow, and he is going with Grandpa.

I wonder if they have sold my GP where I traded her in for the Jeep. They hadn't the last time I checked. Boy, she was undoubtedly the best car that I ever owned. I wish I could have kept her and still bought a new Jeep.

Later, Toonie

tsjay
  • wkawka Member Posts: 14
    Got my Black GTP 2001 sedan 2 weeks ago. It has Taupe interior. Great car, no problems as I have 1000 miles on it. At around 2000 miles I'll probably put Mobil 1 in it. While it's not quite as luxurious as my Wife's 2000 SSEI the GTP is easier to drive around town, has a tighter suspension and get's off the line a lot quicker. The Bonnie SSEI is a great long distance cruiser but around town the GTP rules.

I've seen a lot of posts here and on the bonnie board discussing tricking their cars out. I'll consider it for the GTP but not for the Bonnie since the it seems like a waste to try to make a Bonnie a stop light runner.

What's the story about the K&N filter and why should I get it over a throw away paper filter?
  • bdimebdime Member Posts: 130
    Okay- I'm still in the looking around stage and can't decide. Sedan or small SUV?
    I test drove the Grand Prix GT and the Chevy Impala, The Toyota RAV4 and the
    Suzuki Vitara and can't decide. Any hints on things that might be more obvious to
    look at when I drool over those expensive auto show demos? I'd like to stay under
    $21,000 and am willing to try something out of my box but haven't seen anything
    to sway me over. Thanks for the info. DIME
    Although I no longer own it, the best car I ever had was the 2000 Grand Prix GT sedan that I recently traded for a new Jeep Wrangler.

I wish I could have kept it and still bought the Wrangler, but there was no way.

I put just a hair under 20K miles on the GT, and it never once went back to the dealer for any kind of problem. It got great gas mileage (as high as 31 mpg a couple times on long trips), had plenty of power, and was simply beautiful! It was white with tan leather interior and had just about all the goodies except the sunroof. It stickered at $24,225.00.

You can look all you want to, but I promise you that you won't find a better car for anywhere near the same amount of money.

If you decide on a car rather than an SUV, you ought to really take a close look at the Grand Prix GT. Now, you won't get one for under $21,000.00, like you were saying you'd like to use as an upper limit. By today's standards, you won't find much for under $21K, at least nothing that I would want to drive.

tsjay
  • viperlebviperleb Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr in silver with alost 60,000 miles on it. We've had the car for about 8 months, so I'll post how I feel towards the car.

but first to answer WKA's question about K&N Filters. There's 2 different kinds of K&N Filters. There's normal drop in kind which goes for aorund $30 i think. Its slightly better than stock, and its gaurenteed for a million miles i believe. The other kind is the cone filtercharger available in 7" and 9" cones. These will improve your cars performance by maximum 5hp. You will notice a difference and the car will breathe much better than stock. And the supercharger whine will be much more noticeable. It'll make a very nice sound. if you want, i can post a link to a couple of vids with a GTP equipped with a 9" cone.(note, GT's won't make a whining soung from the cone since they aren't supercharged but they will benefit from the cone).

Power? Ok, there's a lot of it. No one, and I mean no one who hasn't been in one would believe that they are that fast. But then again, you have to remember the GTP and its sister car Regal GS are the fastest cars in their class with 0-60 in 6.4 secs. Now off the light, you'll be able to take on a lot more cars than you think. Pre-99 Mustang GT's can be beat. But once at highway speeds, you will notice the difference. The GTP lacks power at the high end, but you gotta think of it, i mean, do you drive over 100mph daily? I don't think so. upto around 70-80mph that car rocks. Ofcourse, more power would be better.

Handling: I don't take the car very fast at turns cause I just don't feel like doing anything wrong. I'm 17 and I don't feel like messing up the car since i didn't pay for it. But the car isn't a good handler. The sway bars have to be replaced with aftermarket ones(or some from the Impala Police package or Intrigues). There are plenty of modding space in this area. The car is pretty low and it can be lowered even more with the current kits available, but you will feel the potholes even more. I notice the car doesn't take potholes too great. I mean, its nothing to brag about.

Interior: The plastic used for the dashboard looks pretty cheap. I personally think the car is pretty well loaded. I mean, my friends get in the car and start playing around with buttons and stuff. I've gotten a lot of compliments on how comfortable the seats are(i'm talking bout the leather seats). Driver instrumentation is pretty nice. Now the red lights used in the car are nice. They'll get a lil boring after you have the car for a while, but it'll always impress people when they first ride in the car. Our car has the HUD projection which projects the speed and other information onto the windsheild. Its very very very nice. I rarely look down at the dash. I don't know why this hasn't been installed on all cars available. If you haven't driven a Grand Prix of Bonneville with one, go and drive one. its pretty neat

We've only had 2 problems since we got the car. First was a spark plug misfire(nothing big) and the second was a problem with a transmission selenoid that required replacement and done under warranty.

Gas Mileage truly depends on how you drive it. On the highway our GTP is in the low 30's MPG. In the city, it gets around 16-17mpg, while being driven moderately. I can make it to school at 24 mpg driving normally and I'm sure I can make it there at 12 mpg. But you have to take into consideration that the GTP requires higher octane fuel. Minimum of 91 octane!

If you're looking for a lot of compliments on the car, a GP GT/GTP will get you some. They're pretty good looking. If you want more comfort with only sacrificing some aggressive looks, a Buick Regal GS might be a better choice.

I'm very glad we purchased the car as if it offers all the we needed. Anyways, this is my long description of how the car has been performing.
  • chris6634chris6634 Member Posts: 5
    Well I did get the Black GT coupe and I love it!!! It has plenty of power and it is fun to drive. Mine has cloth interior, but it is the charcoal and it looks pretty sporty I must say. It has the new style wheels which I didn't like at first. I was even going to have them change them out to the star torque wheels, but after driving it for a couple of days I changed my mind. Plus the star torque wheels show a lot of the brake equipment and that looks ugly once it starts rusting IMO.

For whoever was deciding between the Grand Am and the Bonneville I'll just say this. I test drove a Grand Am and it has nothing on the Grand Prix. The interior is ugly and cheap looking IMO. Now the Bonneville is supposed to be nicer than the Grand Prix so you are kind of between extremes there. I would test drive each car before you make a decision.

For whoever wanted a Grand Prix under $21,000 - it will depend on where you live. You can get the SE, but why settle for that? Mine was listed at $23,950 and I got it for about $21,300 - $21,000 was my goal too, but that was as low as they would go. It has a sunroof, leather wrapped steering wheel w/radio controls, cd player and all the other thrills that the other GPGT's have. It's a great car so far although I've only had it about a week! lol
  • greywolfgreywolf Member Posts: 51
    That rust you see in the wheels comes right off when you are driving. Most of the time, it will be shiny except when it gets wet.

I like the torque star wheels better because it is easier to clean the wheels and it's easier for the brakes to cool and less dust builds up.
    I can't believe you guys went three whole days between posts in here! You've got great cars to talk about, so why the silence? (Maybe you are all too busy driving those beauties to spend time on the puter?)

I come back for visits pretty often, and I just wanted to say hi to all of my old Grand Prix buddies.

Chris6634, you made a wise choice! Enjoy that baby. Congratulations!

You are all welcome to come to Wrangler IV and say hi once in a while you know!

Take care of those Prix's! And be sure to wave when you blow me off the road in my little Wrangler.

tsjay
    I think the black is just beautiful. If I had had a little more time to shop around, I might have found one. I am in the silvermist. Mine has the aluminum wheels which I wasn't real thrilled with at first. They have really grown on me and I think they really make the car. Good luck and go fast!!
  • engine12engine12 Member Posts: 17
    I would like to hear from 2000-2001 gtp owners on there fuel mileage,epa says 18/28,Autoadvantage.com did a test and came up with 18 average for there highway driving,is this heavy foot syndrome,engine not broken in or what?Any info would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!
  • mkcomkco Member Posts: 65
    I have a new (1500 miles) GTP and love it, but I must admit the city mileage sucks...mid to high teens (more mid than high) so far. I haven't taken any major road trips but it does seem pretty good on the highway though -- around 25 or higher when I've clocked it.
    I only had the GT, and it got as high as 31 mpg a couple times on trips. I have heard that the supercharger is not supposed to make much difference in the gas mileage, if the vehicle is driven the same way as one without the supercharger. (But who's gonna have a supercharger and not play around a little?)

tsjay
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    A friend bought a 2000 GT and found out after that the seats were horrible. He practically has to see a chiropractor because of them. Luckily its his wife's car so he doesn't put much seat time in it. It doesn't bother his wife. The seats are leather.

What's the scoop?
    I had a 2000 GT with leather seats, and I thought they were just fine, and, believe me, I spent PLENTY of time in that car. I put almost 20K on it less than eight months!

tsjay
    My GTP is getting around 20 MPG around the City and around 29 MPG on the Highway. I have around 1200 Miles so I expect to get somewhat better as I go. The highway miles I checked once, running around 70-75 MPH for 1.5 hours through some pretty hilly country including a couple of 1 mile upgrades on I70 in Maryland going towards Pennsylvania. I did notice things go downhill rapidly once you hit 80 or above.
  • xmannxmann Member Posts: 19
    I'm thinking of purchasing a Grand Prix and have looked at the forums here to see what realworld users thought and are experiencing. In earlier forums there was a lot of discussion of transmission problems and premature tranny wearout in the GT/GTP models. Is this still an issue or has there been any modifications to the tranny in 2001. I noticed the so called "dual mode" tran offered with the GTP. What are anyone's experiences with this trans in particular? Any feelings good, bad, or otherwise would be greatly appreciated.

Is that comment on the GTP requiring 91 octane gas true? Where I live if I had to pay for that I would be riding the bus alot. That alone would make my decision regarding which model to focus upon.
    I would stay with the Manu. spec on 93 octane only. As far as the tranny goes, I believe the 2001 GTP no longer offers it. A couple of other items may have been discontiued also, including automatic climate control has been replaced with dual manual tempature control. But, you do get onstar included and the subscription for the first year is free.

My opinion on Onstar, I think the basic package is ok, I like that my wife is covered by Onstar safety features. The pricer package is too much since we would use it infrequently. It would be better if they had a pay as you use feature. The calling plan for Onstar is again just ok. Since you can't use a number that you already have on another cell phone it's used only when your in the car. Dialing is voice activated. If you need to send a tone pulse to get into someone's voice mail your out of luck or at least I haven't figured out how to do it. GM would be much better off if they had a system that you could plug your current phone into such as some of the newer palm os based phones.
  • cmygtptaillitecmygtptaillite Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 GTP. I think I got a batch of bad gas and may have had detonation occur in the engine. What would be the symptoms of excessive detonation. My engine seems to run rough when I am cruising at 65-70 (1500-2000 rpm) in OD on the freeway. Also, it seems to make a grinding sound at about 3000 rpm when I have my foot in it. I took it to the dealer and they said "engine's fine, they all do that, blah, blah, blah.." Any ideas out there?
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I drove my GTP from NYC to South Florida and did not have a single complaint about the seats during this long drive.
  • engine12engine12 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for your replies on the GTP fuel mileage.... It makes my decision almost concrete!
    Anybody driven there GTP in a snow storm Yet?
    We have a 2000 Pontiac Montana and the traction control is a awesome in the snow,here in Mass. we just had a good storm not to long ago that my wife had to drive home in and thought for sure she would be stranded due to the heavy snow and the traction control is what saved her!I'm hoping to here the GTP has the similar handling characteristics.
    How does that engine block heater perform?It gets mighty cold here at times,does it make a big difference?.
    What speeds is this car capable of?????(GTP sedan)
    I have driven my GTP through northeasters in NYC area. My house was on top of a hill, I used to go driving up and down the hill before plows came, just for fun. The car does very well in the winter.

GTP's top speed is electronically limited to 128mph.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Well, I think I have finally made up my mind in regards to the successor of my 2000 Chevy Impala LS. I am seriously considering either a GP GT or GTP sedan (Regular not special editions). I have test driven both and really like them. Of course the GTP is even more enjoyable for the extra kick the Supercharger provides.

Suggestions? Likes? Dislikes? Any known problems that I should be aware of with the latest 2000/2001 models???

I have checked insurance costs for both...the net difference between the GP GT and GP GTP sedan is a measly $20.00 bucks every six months so the insurance increase vs. the Impala LS is just going to be about $74 for the GT and $94 for the GTP every six months...so insurance wise there is not an issue.

As far as Premium gas, I been filling up my Impala LS with Exxon 93 Supreme and the car runs like a champ...I am used to the extra (and well worth expense of higher octane gas) so Premium gas is not a biggie in my book.

The deciding factor will be the aprox $1,700 difference between a loaded GT and a standard (Which is loaded still) GTP.

Again, I will appreciate any input regarding quality, reliability issues and long term ownership experiences.

Looking forward to join the club very soon.
    I must say I am surprised. I really thought you'd stick with the Impala. As I have told you before, I have no complaints with the GP GT. If I could have, it would have been a GTP. What colors are you considering? Good luck on the final decision. (Oh yea, was the GP GT an option with the buyback? and interesting on the insurance; mine went down about $60/six months from the MC SS).
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Divide the price difference on 100 month (8 years), or how long you plan to own the car. Then decide, does it pay in enjoyment, or you would rather live the 8 years without the toys.

The same with options. Inside the same trim, the sedan loaded by all and any option usually costs about 10% more than the "bare" one (the "bare" GTP being not exactly Spartan, though). But the options are what you (and your wife) will enjoy for years. Sound, sunroof, auto-dimming mirrors, HUD, etc.

There are obvious exceptions, of course: for example, given you live in Florida, there would be very few occasions to enjoy the heated seats :-)
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Teo - buddy - you've got to go for the ZOOM factor on that supercharged GTP or you will be kicking yourself for as long as you own it (got to hurt eventually!)

Are you going for the green? It's Pontiac's best color IMO but then I'm somewhat prejudiced!

Best wishes

Ken.
    For your responses. Well, I am afraid I will be reconsidering getting a new '01 Grand Prix after all. What made me change my mind so suddenly? Last night I was navigating in the Internet to gather some safety crash test data on the current Grand Prix sedan. Came accross the NHTSA website and upon finding the test results for the Grand Prix sedan I was extremely dissapointed and disturbed at the side crash ratings given to the GP by NHTSA.... 2 Stars for the front riders and 3 starts for the rear passengers. Nothing for the front crash test (Results to be released during March 2001)but I suspect it will be in the 4 star range.

Needless to say, safety is paramount to me and while these results can be argued back and forth, they still say something about the integrity and strength of the GP. The Impala has consistently scored 5 stars front and 4 stars side for 2000 and 2001. Actually, it appears to be that the GP dropped one star from the 2000 model year for side crash ratings.

I appreciate everyone's comments but I think I'll stick with the Impala as a replacement for 2001.

Hopefully, GM will improve the Grand Prix's crash test records when the car gets it first full redesign in 2003.

Ditto for the Intrigue.
  • sunfgtsunfgt Member Posts: 40
    Hey teo, you may want to ask graphicguy about the side crash tests; I don't know if he still reads this forum. I recall that some guy totalled his first GTP by T-boning him, but he was able to walk away without a scratch, whereas the offending person ended up in hospital.

I don't know why the Impala and GP should have different crash ratings, since they are the same platform.
    a stopped GTP pace car was once rear ended by a NASCAR racer. Two guys inside the GTP walked away. I used to have pictures of this (it was shown on TV)
    That the Impala has a much better structural rigidity than the Grand Prix in despite of the fact that both models are spin offs of the W-body platform. If you have ever driven or 'touched' an Impala, the doors, hood, fenders, etc have a much heavier, beefier sheetmetal than say the GP.

The Impala already meets 2003 Government safety requirements while the GP only meets 1997 standards, hence the lower safety ratings.

Keep in mind that the Y2K Impala/Montecarlo models are the newest members of the W-body family.

The time table is as follows

Buick Regal: Introduced 1997 and redesign due 2003
    Pontiac GP: Introduced 1997 and redesign 2003
    Buick Century: Introduced 1997 and redesign 2003
    Olds Intrigue: Introduced 1998 and currently under model phase out.
    Chevrolet Impala: Introduced 2000 and redesign 2005
    Chevrolet Montecarlo: Introduced 2000 and redesign 2005.

The first models that will switch from the W-body platform to the all new 'Mid-Lux' platform will be the 2003 Buick Regal and Pontiac GP.
  • cmygtptaillitecmygtptaillite Member Posts: 3
    Could somebody respond to my post#670? I would appreciate whatever comments anyone has. Thanks.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I still come around here because, even though I don't own a GTP anymore, I still miss it.

sufgt--last year, as teo pointed out, I was in an accident with my GTP. It was "t-boned" by a guy who ran a redlight. From the skid marks, the cop estimated the other guy was doing between 40MPH-50MPH upon impact. The other guy was driving a late model Acura. I was hit on the passenger side and my car looked like he caught me smack in the middle of the front passenger door (although the whole passenger side looked like it took a 20 megaton blast).

Obviously, my car was totalled. But, there was no inclusion into the passenger compartment at all. Passenger side windows were "blown out" but all the other damage was confined to the outside of the car. I actually saw the door side beams on the passenger side and they did the exact job they wee supposed to...keep the other car out.

After the shock wore off, I took off my seatbelt (no airbags went off). I opened up my drivers side door, bushed off some little "beads of glass" and walked away. The other guy was taken to the hospital via ambulance. I checked up on him a couple of weeks later and he ended up being in the hospital for over a week.

Because of this incident, I took the insurance check and bought another GTP. Great cars! Safer than anything I'd seen before.

Oh yea...did we mention it was very fast, comfortable, full of features and fun to drive?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    By now you must have put another tank of gas in right? If it was detonation originally, then it should be gone now.

Detonation is very close to pinging. In fact it sounds the same.

Excessive detonation can damage spark plugs, valves and piston heads.

The easiest thing to check is to pull the spark plugs and exam the tips.
    On my 2001 GTP I did notice a thumping noise with the gas tank. Although, I assumed it was the gas sloshing around. It really doesnt' bother me too much though. Only time a notice it is when I'm backing out of the garage. Actually, I didn't know there was a plastic liner but if there is doesn't it sound like the tank would be safer in a collision?

I've had no problems with my GTP at all. It's great fun to drive.
    I've got a 2001 GTP too and have occasionally notice a thump when backing up...usually just the first time I back up. Are you saying this is due to the gas tank? Is there a fix for it?

I really didn't even think about this (or notice it lately) until I read the recent posts. I've consider my GTP to be pretty much flawless (aside from its excessive thrist!)
    In my search for the perfect car I decided to rent the GP for 2 days and spend
    some time with the spouse (get the feel with both of us in the seats). This was
    a great move because it gave me some confidence I can survive without my High
    riding sport Ut (Explorer)and have some fun in a sedan. I'm not sure the seats in
    the GP were all that- felt uncomfortable on day 1 but okay day 2 with some adjusting.
    The lighted door buttons are great at nite and I think the red glow dash is fun-
    odd but fun. Handling on highway and country roads was beautiful, as well as
    easy enough to park and get around in town. I guess I have a hard time because there
    are so many sedans out there it starts to confuse you. I suppose you just have to bite
    the bullet- hope you make a good choice and if not trade it in 2 years or so. Any
    opinions about trade in value on the GP versus competition? Olds has some
    good deals but I'm iffy about the continued service with the future (GM will be honoring
    the warranty but depending on were you go the dealers could hang you out to dry).
    Well owners- give me a little input here!
    Mine is just a regular GTP sedan. Interested to hear about what they say is the cause of the thumping noise, please post when you hear something.

One interesting thing I just noticed. When standing outside of the car at one of the rear doors. I looked inside the car all the way across to the opposite rear door. From that vantage point I can see some light comming through the bottom front of the door. It looks like the doors don't quite seal. From the other side of the car I noticed the same thing. Anyone else have a sedan that shows the same thing?
    I noticed the light too...when I'm sitting in the drivers seat and looking at the opposite rear door! (Maybe my car isn't as flawless as I thought!)

Regarding the seats, it took me a couple of days to get used to the firmness of my GTP's seat. But now, I really like them.
    Did you rent an SE, GT or GTP? If it was an SE, certainly try the GT or the GTP even if you have the extra bucks. I have a 2000 GT, silvermist, sunroof, all the goodies. I believe they changed the packages on the 2001, so the 1SB package may not quite have everything on the new ones. I have had no problems with mine except a seat back rattle which was fixed promptly.

My mom bought a 2000 SE. Just recently traded for the GT. Take it for what is't worth!! Good luck.
    FWIW my Chrysler 300M makes thumping noise somewhere in the rear when I back out of the driveway for the first time in the morning.

I think it is related to the gas pump.
  • chris6634chris6634 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks tsjay & toon01 for the well wishes. I'm still enjoying the car and it warmed up enough today to open the sunroof. Woo hoo! lol

I've only had a chance to check the mileage once so far and I only got 16/gallon (city). I was a little disappointed as I got that with my '93 Firebird. I'll have to keep checking it and hope it increases a bit. What is anyone else getting on the GT's in the city.

Two more questions - when idling at a drive-thru or street light I hear something click (from the engine) about every 30 seconds . Anyone else notice this with theirs? Should I get the oil changed at around 700 miles? I read somewhere that it is good to get the oil cleaned out early and not wait for 3,000 miles?

Thanks everything!

Chris
    I rented an SE (seemed lucky to get it- had to drive to OHare and prereserve with a manager)
    The cruise control on the wiper arm seemed cheap (it's easier on the steering wheel) and I
    know I'd want the radio controls on the wheel too. I'm kind of debating over the Impala ss, Monte carlo SS or Grand Prix GT. I've looked at/test drove Accord and Galant but they
    don't have the exterior looks or feel to them. The Olds are at great prices right now so it's
    tough to decide. Insurance on all the 4 doors it's within dollars of each other. Thanks
    Please, DO NOT judge the Grand Prix's by your experience with an SE!

It would be like thinking about a Corvette and driving a Cavalier to judge it by.

There is a WORLD of difference between an SE and a GT! The GT has much better suspension, better tires, and a LOT better acceleration (unless the SE had the 3800 engine).

I promise you that, for the money, there is not another car out there that can hold a candle to the Grand Prix GT! [Unless it is the GTP :)]

tsjay
    The Pontiac Grand Prix SE sedan is the only model offered with the 3100 OHV V6 engine that churns out 175HP. This engine works fine on any N-body sedan model (Malibu, Grand AM, Alero) but it is anemic and deficient for the larger and heavier W-body platform Grand Prix. The Grand Prix is best enjoyed with the Normally aspirated 3800 Series II OHV V6 GT model (200HP) or the Supercharged version of that same engine (240HP)GTP model.

Based on recent observations and a couple of test drives of GP GTP sedan models, the ergonomics, dashboard and controls layout are virtually identical among the three trim levels...whether it is the SE, GT or GTP. The cockpits on these cars are generally pleasing and comfortable; however, some controls layout and dashboard design and materials still reflect the 'Old School of GM ergonomics' from the Roger Smith era...some examples:

The controls for the Cruise Control, Windshield Wipers, High Beams and turn signals are ALL crammed into the ancient 'SmartStalk' lever from the 1980's. The same stalk configuration is standard in all trim levels. The critical controls for the Cruise Control should be placed in the Steering Wheel hub (Like in the Impala/Montecarlo) where they are much easy to access and can be operated by just button tactile feedback (Advantage = Impala/Montecarlo)

Mechanical odomoter, Trip Meter and in dash gear shift indicator. I am sure this is not a biggie at all (Nothing against mechanical instruments) but this is an area where you can also see that the GP has that ancient GM feeling to it. The newer (By 3 model years) Impala/Montecarlo models feature FULL digital odometer, trip meter and gear shift indicator quadrant. The main instrument pod presentation seems much better in the Impala/Monte...easier to read instruments (look very sporty) and doesn't have that glowing orange night time lighting, instead a more easy on the eyes and subdued greenish/blueish cluster illumination...the instruments look more like they were pulled off an imported automobile than the General's parts bin...just my opinion, please do not take offense.

* The Hazard blinker lights switch in the GP is placed right above the steering wheel plastic stalk/column cover right in a location that makes it hard to reach on a hurry or emergency. The Impala/Monte has this switch mounted on the instrument cluster pod where it is much easier to reach on an emergency.

* Sorry, but the plastics used in the GP cabin are not impressive for a car of this price caliber..some dash and door trim pieces feel very cheap and flimsy to the touch...great potential for rattles as the car ages. In this area I feel the Impala/Montecarlo have much better interior plastics and assembly quality and fit are more carefully executed, again for a GM car. I feel that the plastics in the GP belong more in the Cavalier, the the lowly Chevy Impala gets better interior materials...Pontiac has to do some explaning on that one.

* Crash testing scores. This is an area where the Impala/Montecarlo clearly surpasses any other W-body platform car from GM. Consistent 5 star frontal score and a 4-side frontal score. The Impala/Monte are built like tanks. However, the GP, Intrigue and Regal have not scored as good and solid as the Impala..this reflects on the age of these cars last revised for the '97 model year. The Impala already meets year 2003 goverment safety requirements while the GP only complies with 1997 safety regulations....some food for tought:

www.nhtsa.org

www.highwaysafety.org

As for the rest, the Impala, GP, Regal, intrigue are pretty competitive in engines, transmissions, gizmos, etc, but I feel the Chevrolets give you the most bang for the buck, better safety and sligthly better ergonomics, fit and finish and quality.

Also, the Impala, Montecarlo and Regal are built in Canada. GM Canadian assembly plants have always scored higher in quality than the US GM plants. The Grand prix/Intrigue are built at the Fairfax, Kansas plant and the quality stats of that assembly facility have always been lower (and it shows)than the quality ratings of the Oshawa, Ontario Canada assembly plants. Maybe these cars are better because are not built by the UAW syndicated folks..their Canadian and Mexican counterparts seem to always do a much better job at putting cars together.

have fun and enjoy whatever you choose!
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    To be precise:

- The 3.1l engine is used currently not only with GP SE and Chevrolet Malibu, but also with Buick Century. And with Chevrolet Lumina, still in production, for fleet sales only.

- On the other hand, 99-2001 GA and Oldsmobile Alero have different engines - either 2.4l 4-cylinder, or 3.4l V-6. The 3.4l engine is used also with the base Impala, MC, and with several minivans and minivan-like Pontiac Aztec.
    I already was aware regarding the 3100 V6 other vehicle applications and the 3400 V6 applications as well.

Thanks!
    All of teo's comments are pretty much on the mark. I am surprised, however, that he did not mention the engine cradle and steering shaft issues. Please go over to the Impala and MC forums and read up if you haven't already. Seems as though the issues have been fixed as long as you purchase a vehicle with a later build date. Good luck with whatever you choose. I miss my MCSS so much. One of the many things I loved about that car; you just don't see very many and it is unique. Lots of GPs everywhere.
    You are absolutely right about the cradle, steering shaft issues on the 2000 model year Impala/Montes.

Bdime::: If you want to learn more about the Impala, go to the Impala topic right here in Townhall.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    There is a blue 98 GTP Pace Car being offered on E-Bay that is reported to be autographed by Dale Earnhardt. Seller says he has a pic of Dale signing the dashboard. 1998 is, of course, the year that he won Daytona 500. No bids yet and $19.5K is the starting bid. The car has 29.5K miles and is said to be tweaked to 300 hp. Got to think this is going to attract some attention - and could become quite valuable.

What a shame he's gone. I watched the race on a 48 inch screen with surround sound and was enjoying it immensely. Can't get that image out of my head now of Dale careening into the wall. It didn't seem too bad compared to the spectacular pile-up earlier (ironically during the Tony Stewart Grand Prix Commercial) that sent Tony's # 20 Pontiac somersaulting over the pack.

Ken
  • bdstriebdstrie Member Posts: 18
    Hey...did you all see the Grand Prix G-8 Concept Car? I'M DROOLING...I'd LOVE to see this puppy hit the production floor some day!

Check it out at:http://www.edmunds.com/editorial/conceptspotlight/pontiacgrandprixg8/42925/index.html
This discussion has been closed.