Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• gbraygbray Member Posts: 1
    2001 Grand Prix, 2000 miles, 4 spd auto trans - kaput. Nothing, towed to dealer in Florence SC,
    Efird and has been there 6 days, they finally "looked" at it and said needs new transmission, maybe get lucky and it will be ready Friday. Pontiac product and service remind me why I never wanted a Pontiac before or again.
  • roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    2K and out, huh. Stuff like that makes me queezy about the General. Good luck with the ride.

RR
    How's the BOSE upgrade? Really worth the extra $400+/- ?

How is the OnStar antenna system on the GTP? On other GM vehicles, there is an obnoxious circa 1990's cell phone looking thing. Anybody have this?

RR
  • stanigustanigu Member Posts: 11
    Wow, this thread has grown a lot since last I saw it!

I own a 2001 GTP; had it for a couple of months now, and VERY satisified with it. A lot of fun to drive (mine is modded quite a bit), with room for the whole family. Best bang for your $, if you need a sedan.

Tranny is the weak link. I'm doing a full synthetic swap (with Redline), and adding aftermarket tranny cooler--just to be on the safe side. With my mods, the car is making around 280 HP at the crank. My 0-60 time is around 5.8 now.

Does this void the warrenty completely? No. Dealership has to prove that your mods caused the need for repair. You'd definitely have to fight, but you can be successful. And remember that there's always more than 1 dealership around...

BOSE system sounds great, with the exception of Bass--it's lacking. I've added an aftermarket subwoofer in the trunk (yes, you can do that despite what BOSE says) to fill the void, and it sounds great. I listen mostly to Jazz, so it's not like I really want a huge bass--just a tad more to enrichen the sound.

Onstar is standard on GTP--it comes neatly integrated in the rear view mirror, and works great!
    Oh, I forgot to address the antenna--yes, it does look like cell phone antenna (which doesn't look too bad IMO).

They do have the radio antenna integrated in the rear window.
    Your GTP sounds nice. About the tranny, since that is what worries me most...when you say "full synthetic swap", what does that mean exactly? Just the fluid? What cooler are you looking at?

If I do decide to get a GTP, I probably wont do much modification to the engine. No pulleys or anything. Maybe a Slip-in K&N.

I planned on putting a sub - or two ;) in it, so I may just skip the BOSE upgrade....

Thanks!
    RR
    When you swap ATF by dropping the tranny pan, you're only getting about 50-60% of the ATF; in order to do a full synthetic fluid change, you'll need to go to a shop with specialized equipment which "pushes" out the old fluid, and replaces with the new while the engine is running. Shouldn't cost much more than $70 for doing it, excluding the ATF itself (which can add up--Redline is about $7/qt, and you'll need about 14 qts).

As far as the tranny cooler, I'm looking at using MSP (that's http://www.motorsportsperformance.com ) Desert Fox tranny cooler. Rather pricy at $200, but everything I've purchased through MSP is of very high quality, and fit and finish is excellent. They're currently testing this particular tranny cooler for '01 models, so once they complete the testing I plan on getting one.

I can understand your desire to leave the stock motor alone--it's sufficiently fast car stock. My car looks completely stock from the outside--but the looks of disbelief on the faces of Lexus GS400, BMW540i, or MBZ E430 drivers when I outgun them is absolutely priceless :) (I know I shouldn't be so mean :p)

And yes, if you're going to be adding a lot of bass to your system, save your $$ and skip the BOSE. Apparently stock unit doesn't sound so bad, and if you decide to upgrade your head unit later, there are aftermarket ones available that allows you to retain the use of the steering wheel controls.

• zack_01zack_01 Member Posts: 2
    gbray - I sympathize totally with your problem. Thats because I had the same experience with Honda and Toyota. I have bought my last rice burner because their warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on. At 9000 miles head gasket goes on the freeway on my new Accord. Seized pistons, warped head. Forensic mechanic said head was warped from the factory thats why the gasket failed. But Honda says its my problem not theirs. Toyota 4 Runner: 11,000 miles ignition computer goes out. They said my off road use caused the failure...hey whats that about?? Just used in on dirt roads and beach sand...real rugged stuff ya know!! Toyota says its my problem because its not covered under warranty??

stanigu - I don't know what state your in but my uncle the lawyer laughed at your comment about not voiding the warranty. Said that in every state hes knows it would. Gave me all kinds of reasons but basically its your forensic mechanic against theirs and since you made changes you do so at your own risk. Since you never cleared it with them (assuming you haven't). He said the minute the modification is beyond original specs your toast. He said that language is in all warranties. If the transmission fluid is ceritified within specs then that still isn't always enough. But something you need to know and I found out the hard way. Using fluid that is certified is not enough. I once used a transmission fluid that was certified but started having shifting problems. Found out that the manufacturer's fluid was formulated in a way that the computer sensor needed to operate correctly. So my uncle said good luck if you have a problem.
    For your reference:

http://www.sema.org/warranty/

I've personally have not had to take the car back in for warrenty work, but know plenty who have (with modded cars), and got it done. Thing to remember is that it doesn't cost the dealer to do warranty work (GM pays for it), so if one shop refuses, shop around, or fight back! And know that you shouldn't take whatever the dealer tells you as the truth--many service departments tell you what's convenient, vs. the truth. Sorry to hear about your tranny fluid, but what the dealer told you definitely sounds like the former (i.e. lies). Fluid to "make computer operate correctly"? Hmmmm... Let's see some proof.

I've also heard that the dealerships out in the country (vs. urban areas) are more eager for your business, so that's another route that you can check out (if you haven't shelled out the bucks already to fix the problem).

Otherwise, the web site gets very specific about the steps you can follow to get them to cough up the cash.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for the "clue". I may just stick with the stock powertrain.

Sounds like an extended warranty may be in order if I go with the GTP...

Thanks
    RR
    The message #760 was not intended for you...check out message #758. I'm all for modding the car (within reason)--and the GTP is such an easy car to mod!
    Yeah, I read both posts. I am just leary about modding the GTP. Guess it is a personal thing. Or maybe I'm jaded from my current car... Ford - nuff said. But I do appreciate the info.

I am actually looking at the GP and the Impala. The only thing keeping me leaning towards the GTP is the engine. The Impala has a lot of nice safety features that the GP doesn't offer, i.e driver side airbag and heated mirrors. But the interior of the GP is a bit nicer, I feel.

Ans since the modding is not a factor for me, reliablility takes precedence. I know the Impala is basically the same drivetrain as the GP GT, but the Chevy seems to be a bit more reliable from what I've read.

A test drive should help me seal the deal.

Any words to back up the GTP??

Thanks
    RR
  • jafan43jafan43 Member Posts: 3
    Hi accout student...
    My dad has a 93 GA with 107k on it. Here are some tips: regular oil changes every 3k. If you didn't have the trans checked at 90k (as scheduled) do it now. Put a mid to high grade fuel (89 or 93 octane) in it so the injectors don't get clogged. Wax the car body about 2-3 times a year when weather permits. Not the automat spray garbage either. Professional car washes can do it on a Saturday. It shouldn't be that much $$. With the mileage on the car like it is, don't press the engine. Watch for seal leaks. Rotate tires regularly. My dad's 93 had tires that lasted 75k with regular maintenance. Follow the owners manual and you should be fine. About you looking for a Huyndai Shark: they're junk. That's way they have such a long term warrantee package standard. Look into a domestic Cougar or Avenger. They're similar to the Tib, and have way better performance.
  • toon01toon01 Member Posts: 18
    anybody know when GM plans to "update" the GP?
    Believe it is scheduled for 2003....

RR
    Yeah, I've driven Impala for a week as a rental car. Nice car, but...Just test drive both of them, and I think your choice will be clear :)

but do yourself a favor and DO test drive the GP-GTP. Remember not to floor the gas from standstill, because the torque will easily cause the stock Eagle GS-A's to smoke!
  • bdimebdime Member Posts: 130
    If you're comparing it's only fair- test drive an Impala LS with a 3.8 in it!
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I think that Grand Prix's are excellent cars and am interested in a 2001 GTP sedan. The engine, styling, and overall performance are great but have one nagging concern: a rattly, creaky, and buzzing dash. A very large majority of the consumer comments I read mention this problem and say that its the only bad thing about the car. My current vehicle (which I will not mention the name of but it is only five months old and costs more than $30,000) has a terrible problem with creaks and rattles that not only come from the dash but also in many other parts of the car--this is very annoying. These rattles in a new car are what have me looking at some new choices. What has anyone experianced with their Grand Prix?
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I had a '98 GTP for 3 years and it did not rattle.

But then my 300M does not rattle either after 2.5 years. Well, it does have a rattle behind the center air vents, but I have to drive on a rough road to produce it.
  • toon01toon01 Member Posts: 18
    6 months and 18,000+ miles on my GP GT, no rattles!
  • dbwoodsdbwoods Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any experiences with the sunroof on the GTP's? Do they have a tendency to leak? I haven't been able to locate any reviews or comments that mention the sunroof.
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    '98 GP/SE 30,000 miles
  • looking25looking25 Member Posts: 19
    I had a great experience this morning heading to work. I was merging on the freeway and "gunned" it to get on. To my surprise when I tried to ease up at about 65 mph, this baby kept accelerating. There was nothing I could do to stop it and my cruise was not on. I just stomped on the brake and the car kept fighting for about 2 miles at about 65-75 mph. I shifted it into neutral and the rpm's almost red-line, at that point I was at a safe place to shut the car off and pull over .. even then I stepped on the emergency brake to completely stop the car. This was a scary feeling. I had Pontiac tow it. They looked at it saying the pedal got stuck and they made an 'adjustment' but couldn't find anything else wrong. Anyone else experience this?

98 GTP no-mods / 28,000 miles - cheap squeaking starting to occur on the dash, gear shifter, and center console. Everything else is great though. Guess I could have spent another 5 K to get the non-squeaking Maxima.
  • herfherf Member Posts: 5
    I have a 97 GTP (which I bought in August 96). It's almost 5 years old and has been great - rattle free. The only problems I've had are small - the autodimming mirror doesn't dim anymore and the lowest fan speed on the AC doesn't work. Neither bothered me enough to take the car in for repair, though. I run it fairly hard, too. I also love the heads up display. I thought it was just a stupid feature I'd never use when I bought the car (off the lot), but really like it. When I bought it, there was no manual available for the GTP or traction control for the GTP - maybe there is now?
  • j_colemanj_coleman Member Posts: 143
    Did the Grand Prix lose auto climate control or is it still available?
  • alexjr1alexjr1 Member Posts: 19
    I had rented the 4-door and it was very great it had the reuglar 3.8. I was very impressed by the gas milage on it. I became very intersted in it and discovered they had a coupe. Does the coupe have he same setu as the regular four door? Does it handle as good as the four door and is the gas milage the same?
    Yes, '01 model lost automatic climate control. Apparently it was a major warrenty issue. It does retain dual (manual) climate control, however.

4 door is a tad heavier than 2 door, but only about 50 lbs difference, I believe. Otherwise, they are mostly identical.
  • rgwflyrgwfly Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    I am looking at purchasing a gtp. I need to be able to tow a small trailer and jet ski. Does anyone have experience with this. I would like to put a small receiver hitch. should I just stick with the gt.
    Thanks for the great forum, I have gained a lot of info from it.
  • j_colemanj_coleman Member Posts: 143
    That's too bad it lost auto climate control. My wife has said it is a requirement for her next car because she loves it so much in my Intrigue GL. Maybe when they redesign the Grand Prix in 2003 they will put it back in...
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Hello to all you Grand Prix forum participants. I'm a lurker here - a 2000 Bonneville owner - and enjoy reading your forum.

Several of us over in the Bonneville forum are planning a get together in Central NJ - Rockaway Mall off exit 35 from Rt 80 - on Sunday April 22 - anytime after noon. We would love to invite any of you who are interested to stop by and show and compare cars.

Please stop over to the Bonneville forum and speak up - or email me (see profile). I live in Maine and am planning to stop by en route to PA that day - so it's certainly not limited to Jersey residents.

Hope to see some Grand Prix representation there.

Thanks - have a great day.

Ken
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    One of the benefits of the new software is the ability to modify the titles of existing discussions. In some cases this is not necessary or even desired by the original author or those frequenting the discussion. However, we no longer need to recreate discussion at 500+ posts so the "Chapter this..." or "Part that..." is no longer necessary. So... as part of a topic title cleanup, those portions of the titles are being removed. The respective original topic in the archives is simultaneously being modified so that confusion isn't caused while searching.

I'm also taking this opportunity to "more generalize" some topic titles to broaden their scope. For example, when the trim level, powerplant or transmission/transaxle option isn't pertinent to the comparison, I'm removing it for the purposes of making the topic applicable to the situations in which more buyers find themselves.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • bidness44bidness44 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a new (to me) car for 10k or less and my brother has a wholesaler friend that can accomplish that. after a few tries, now I have the 97 GT to test drive. I'm going out in 10 min to do so...drove it home from the shop last nite, and so far so good...but let's see what happens driving around more today.

I like the interior just fine, don't have a problem with the controls the way they are, and I like the seats much better than the Bonneville I've test driven, much firmer. I hadn't considered a 2 door, but I am now. It's the dark green color with the grey interior, I can live with it just fine. Such a far cry from what I actually had them looking for for me, a white 97 Buick Regal LS with about 52k on it. It's much sportier looking than what I'm used to by light years (my beloved 1984 Subaru GL 4D 2WD wagon.)

Has lots of bells and whistles on it that I could care less about, like the overhead console, would rather have the quality moonroof my Subaru has, and something called traction control, which the tame way I drive probably will never turn on! I can actually see out the windows in this car, when in the Bonnie it was an issue, I'm pretty short, 5'3". My Subaru has better 360 degree viewing area tho.

Car is in excellent condition cosmetically, not a scratch or ding, absolutely clean and they haven't even detailed it yet, interior appears brand new!!! with the exception of a worn spot on the carpet on the driver's side. So what's not to like? The 75K mi on it. I am worried about of course transmission issues, etc. (they haven't looked at the engine yet either, what my bro and I can see so far is it is clean clean clean, but we'll see) The seats moving seems to give me pause also. Seems to drive just fine so far. I also wonder what the funny rattling noise that seems to come from the steering wheel is. That at the very least MUST go.

I just need a decent commute car with more metal around me than my Sub., and can do a road trip or two a year. Willing to sacrifice the excellent mpg on my Subaru for a good reliable engine for the next 5-7-10 yrs. (My Subaru is the best car I have ever had, but would not buy another one now, they are far too overpriced and over-thought IMO, seems with all the new toys and redesigns they just put more stuff on them that can break.)

Soooo....PLEASE someone out there with one of these 97's let me know what your experience is/was. I've just spent 3 hrs reading every single post on this board and surfing Edmunds. Most of the posts were about the 2000's, didn't see much on the 97's.

When I get back from my more extended test drive, I'll let you know how it went. Hope to see some posts to help me decide if I want to pursue or not. Even with the mileage on it, if the engine/tranny is ok, 10k is a deal, based on the options it has. Whatever is wrong on it will be fixed before I buy it also, something to consider.

Look fwd to hearing from some of you guys...THANK YOU.
  • engine12engine12 Member Posts: 17
    like you i am buying a Grand Prix but a new one,i'm lucky enough to afford a new one after years of used vehicles,anyway,97 was the first year of the current style and past experience has taught ME to stay away from new model years,just a little advice from someone who has lots of disappointments from vehicles in the past.
  • rover3500rover3500 Member Posts: 11
    Hi Folks,

Well, it looks like I will be buying a Grand Prix at the begining of next month. Is this a good idea? Are there any problems that I need to know about? It can't be any worse than the 98 Taurus I have now. Nothing bu problems with that car. The transmission has not worked properly since the day I bought it. Had it serviced 13 times in 2.5 years, for the same problem. I finally got a straight answer out of the sewrvice manager of the second opinion dealership I brought it too. He told me that the transmission has an engineering flaw, but since this was designed in, it wouldn't hurt the tranny. Needless to say the part about it not hurting the tranny was bull!I had the 2 FWD clutch pistons replaced twice, the lock up torque convrt clutch bands replaced 3 times, the pump replaced, the valve bodies in the tranny replaced twice, and neumerous other irritances looked at. Every bloody time I have taken that car in for an oil change, I end up having the shop take a look at a few other things that are still wrong. It has probably been one of the worst cars I have ever owned. My 1990 wagon never did these things. The thing had 168,000 miles on it when I had it, and it looked great (not one bit of rust or fading) and ran better. The air went out, so I traded her in. The last time I took my 98 to the shop, the gave my a Grand Prix GT to use. I loved it. As soon as I got the car back, I went to the local Pontiac dealer and priced them. So, next month I am gonna buy one up. I am hoping that I have better luck with this car.

Happy motoring,

Aaron
  • greywolfgreywolf Member Posts: 51
    You can't find a better, more unique car for the price. Get at least a GT though. Also, test drive a GTP for kicks if you can. Check out gp-owners.com - there are tons of posts about the car.

Most people don't have major issues - it seems the most common problems are squeaks, rattles and the automatic windows. Although none of these have beeen a problem for me.

bidness - avoid 97/98 model years. There were a number of issues which were resolved with 99 onward.
  • mskaren17mskaren17 Member Posts: 1
    What was wrong the 97-98s? I was looking between a 98 & a 99 and there was a significant price difference. Just curious. Thanks
  • stnelstnel Member Posts: 338
    I'm looking to buy a new car myself and noticed that Consumer Reports gave bad scores for the Grand Prix for '97 and '98. The reliabilty rating dropped below average. It went back up to average for '99 and 2000. That's a little tidbit of information for you.

I'm going to try to test drive a Grand Prix SE tomorrow. I've had to eliminate a number of cars because the headrests seem to hit a bit above my head giving me a blind spot when looking over my shoulder to check traffic (if changing lanes). I sat in a Grand Prix and it may work out but will have to drive in traffic to make sure.

I've been bouncing around from one car forum to the next while making up my mind. If I like the test drive and can see okay, I hope to buy SOON!
    I had a 98 GTP Coupe and it did not have any problems.
  • cudaboycudaboy Member Posts: 2
    I've put just over 9,000 miles on my Grand Prix and have yet to find anything to complain about. Haven't had a single problem with the car. No rattles, leaks, electrical or drive train problems... nothing.

I got the car loaded for only $24,000. Well worth the money. Anyone who's had major problems, either got a lemon or just doesn't know how to take care of a new car (i.e. bad driving habits, poor matenence, lack of mechanical knowledge...).

I think it's a damn good car, you get a lot for your money. The car is no BMW or Mercedes. You want a car like that, fork out 40 grand.
  • 96gs96gs Member Posts: 86
    You HAD a '98 GTP? Did you sell it? Haven't heard from you in awhile.
  • greywolfgreywolf Member Posts: 51
    I know because I've read a lot of comments of GP owners on web pages, and basically the consensus is to go for 99 or above.

There are little things like the headlight seals going, 97 doesn't have ABS standard, and some other things. 97 + 98 have a lot more TSB's.

This is reflected by consumer reports, which took the grand prix off the recommended list, only to put it back on after the reliability improved.

Thats probably why the 99 is much more than the 98, because the demand for the 99+ models will be higher.

Also, it's a general rule of thumb to wait 2 years whenever a new GM product comes out to work out any bugs.
    lease ended in January 2000
    I just bought a new Grand Prix SE yesterday. It sure is good to have a new car. It has the option package 1SB and CD player.

I guess I'll be reading my owner's manual today. I don't even know how to adjust the clock yet. I'll have the clock and radio settings figured out before I leave the house today.
    I ran into a friend last night while coming home from work. He was admiring my 2001 Impala LS. He owns a '97 (I think) GTP. I asked him how it was doing and he told me that he had just gotten the car back from the shop for a 'bad capacitor' and that he shelled out $4000 in the past month or so for electrical problems.... needless to say he is not happy. He bought it new and babied that car - I mean BABIED it.

The car still looks new on the exterior and he says that it runs OK. His faith in Pontiac has been shattered. But I believe that the '97 model year was the first one with the "Widetrac" stance...

For what it's worth, I guess.
    RR
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Congratulartions on your new car! Isn't great to open that driver's door to the aroma of a new car interior? ;-)

Glad that you decided to stay with GM and most importantly that you got exactly what you wanted it. The GP is a very nice looking automobile.

Pls share you experiences!

Congrats again!

TEO
    I had a blind spot in most of the cars I looked into when looking over my shoulder to change lanes. It seemed to be caused by the headrest being too high and the location of the back corner pillar.

I can see in the Grand Prix because it has a hole in the headrest and I can see through that hole. I love the car too!

Stacy

P.S. I looked into the Impala again but had the same problem. Hope you're enjoying your car!
    Stacy - welcome to the Pontiac family!

I have the Bonneville, not Grand Prix, but share your enthusiasm for that new ride! Best wishes to you for many years and miles of enjoyable driving experiences with that brand new sparkling car.

By the way - what color did you choose?

Ken
    I went with the Dark Bronzemist. I guess GM really loves Bronzemist because they have Light, Medium and Dark.

I saw a Light Bronzemist in the Bonneville and it was really pretty--more of a gold color. Then Chevy has the Medium Bronzemist.

I don't think you have a problem with this up North but we have lovebug season twice a year. They do a number on your car. I imagine those black covers they put on the front of a car can be bought at Pepboys or someplace like that. I can wash the bugs off of the front, but the grill will be a problem.
    P.S. I just called Pep Boys and they have the cover I'm looking for.

Stacy
    Stacy - some of those "bras" are pretty hard to install from what I've heard - don't have one on my car but have read posts to that effect. Good luck with yours - hope it does the job well.

Ken
This discussion has been closed.