Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• kdstankdstan Member Posts: 17
    I am a owner of a 97 Pontiac Grand Prix GT and I am thinking about upgrading to a 2001 GTP. I have a few questions-Has anyone had any major problems with this car seeing how the GTP has a high performance engine? Is superunleaded the only gas you can use for this car? What kind of gas mileage does the GTP generally get?
  • dulingduling Member Posts: 1
    Hello All.

I'm looking into purchasing a 1999 Grand Prix GTP sedan (w/ 35000 miles). I've heard people say that only 93+ octane could be used with the supercharger. However, I've also heard the hobby "mechanics" say that I can put regular in, which will cause the car to run rough initially until it reprograms itself for the reduced octane. Any information on this issue would be appreciated. Also, any GTP owners out there that are dissatisfied with the fuel economy on the supercharged version of the 3.8?

Thank you!

Joshua
  • stnelstnel Member Posts: 338
    I checked my owner's manual and it says the 3800 Supercharged requires Premium Unleaded, 91 octane or higher.

Hope this helps!
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    actually fuel economy is very nice even on the GTP. I regularly got 26mpg on highway.

City was a different story. It depends a lot on number of lights, number of hills, and one's mood.
    My radio stays on when I turn off the engine. Is this normal? I haven't bought a new car in a while and was wondering if this was a Pontiac feature. I read the owner's manual and it doesn't say anything.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    My radio works till a door opens. Buick Regal, basically the same thing as GP.
  • spin360spin360 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2000 GTP. 90% of my miles are highway, and I regularly get around 25-27 MPG. If I set the cruise and drive between 70-80MPH (using my patented speed limit + 7 MPH rule of thumb) down the interstate, I can get over 27 MPG pretty easily. On my last 1000+ mile trip, I actually got 29.8 MPG on 93 octane Texaco. Of course, your mileage my vary. :-)

I have put 87 and 89 octane in my car before. I didn't notice any rough idle or shuddering with the 87, but it did feel like I was pulling an extra 700 lb load. I suspect my mileage would have been lower as well, especially in stop-and-go but that tank was mostly highway, and frankly once I was "up to speed" I didn't notice much. I figure though, since I shelled out the extra $$ for the supercharger, why not spend the extra $0.20/gal for the premium.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    Knowing that the Grand Prix shares the chasis of other GM cars such as the Olds Intrigue and Buick Regal, does the Grand Prix suffer from the same problems that plague the Intrigue? My main concern is the steering system that seems to make clunking noises and is routinely replaced. Also of concern is disc brake rotor warpage. Is this a problem, too? The 3800 v-6 is a good engine. How does the base 3100 compare? I like the looks of the Grand Prix and prefer the crisper driving characteristics it provides vs. the Regal. I also like the Intrigue, but if I find a cherry GP, I'll certainly give it serious consideration.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Retained Power Accessory feature on these vehicles allows you to operate power sindows, radio, etc for 10 minutes after engine turned off, then it will shut down everything. If you open a door before the 10 minutes elapse, everything shuts down. I have this on my Bonneville as well - nice feature.

Ken
    Thanks for the input regarding the radio. I went to my car and started the ignition and turned on radio. Once I turned off the ignition and opened the door, the radio went off.

That's a pretty neat feature. One I would have never figured out on my own. I've been reading my owner's manual but I jump around. I would have never thought to look under Retained Power Accessory--didn't even know that existed.

I've been enjoying my first week of owning a new car. I do have that pinging noise that a lot of people have written in about when I turn off my engine. I guess that's just the newness.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    ...after being shut off.

That's the exhaust pipes cooling off and contracting.
    Thanks for input on pinging noise. It makes sense that something is cooling off.
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    If its the same motor that comes in Malibus, its a dog.

Rented a Malibu in Minneapolis. The motor was green but I had to give the gas pedal 30% to go from 50 to 70 mph. The GP with 3.8 will effortlessly scoot up to 70 without down shifting. Also the 3.1 motor is really coarse at anything over 3000 rpm and believe me you will be up there.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I think those steering column clunking problems were endemic to the Intrigue.

I don't recall any issues like this with Grand Prix or Regal.
    I went on and bought the 3.1 L engine but there's a web page that I learned about on another forum called:

www.gmpowertrains.com

(There may or may not be an "s" on the end of powertrain.)

The 3.1 has aluminum cylinder heads vs the 3.8 having cast iron. I don't know just how important this is to you. There was a lot of posting going on about this (cast iron vs. aluminum) in the Impala forum but it was a month or two ago and good luck if you could find it. They do a lot of posting on that forum.

Most of my driving is in the city so the horsepower suits me but if I could have afforded it I probably would have gotten the 3.8 based on its cast iron engine.
  • rover3500rover3500 Member Posts: 11
    Hi Folks,

Well, looks like new car time for me. Had nothin but troubles with Ford, so I'm goin GM. Took my Taurus in a while back (Taurus is a Dog!) and they gave me a Grand Prix GT Rental (Not smart for Ford to give GM rentals, kinda supporting the competition,Eh?). Needless to say I loved it, did n't want to give it back. I always like the GP. Most of my realitives in MI drive Pontiacs and have nothing but good things to say. So, would you guys recommend that I buy one up? I have gone to the dealership and pretty much have one picked out. 2001 GT fully loaded with leather and CD. Let me know what you think.
  • newsaturnownernewsaturnowner Member Posts: 1
    By my username you can see I no longer have the car but I still miss it. The lease was up and I couldn't pass up the lease on the Saturn L200. I certainly do miss the power(lost 105hp with this one!) and look of it. We've become the 'typical American family' with a sedan and suv. I never had any major problems with it. My wife had a GTP coupe as well and the only problems we had with both GPs was the power windows. My switch had to be replaced 4 times and hers twice. They were both excellent cars, but we needed four doors and I couldn't get a GTP sedan for what I was willing to pay. Plus, I knew the gas prices were going up and I was only getting 16mpg in city driving. I always put in super unleaded in both cars nothing below 92 octane. Just my two cents and hoping I can get another GP in 3 years !
    I've seen your name before--I imagine it was over on the Taurus forum. I thought about buying a Taurus and wound up with the Grand Prix. I can't really give advice since I haven't had the car long enough.

What color do you have picked out? They didn't have a lot of Grand Prix's to choose from at the dealerships that I went to but I did manage to pick out a color that I liked.
    I just purchased a used 2000 GTP with a factory stereo in it. I have a question if some one can answer it-Can you still control the stereo from the steering wheel if you install a different one?
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    Yes and no...

I can't recall the name but there is a company making an arrangement that utilizes the wiring from the steering wheel to control an IR transmitter. You would mount this transmitter somewhere in view of the head unit. This, obviously, requires that you purchase a head unit that can be remote controlled. Other than that... I've not seen anything that will use the buttons on the steering wheel.
  • rcarbonircarboni Member Posts: 290
    kdstan,

Here's one company that makes what you are looking for. There is another - can't find the link right now, but if I do, I'll post that one also.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/SWRC.htm

• rcarbonircarboni Member Posts: 290
    Here's the other company:

http://www.soundgate.com/rac.html
    Can someone tell me who has the best premium unleaded gas? I am just curious I just purchased a GTP and have not used premium unleaded in the past.

Thanks,
    kdstan
    The engine asks for 91 octane. Pretty all stations sell 93 octane as premium, at least in our places, New England and New York. A good margin.

So, the best to fill is is where it is convenient. If there are several convenient stations, than where it is less expensive. The same stations usually sell higher volume of gas, are better equipped - and thus have lesser probability to have contaminated gas.

If you just want the best, Sun stations sells 94 octane "Extra" gas, for about 10 cents more.

Though, your engine does not need this. Better to left the gas to the poor soils, recent immigrants and inner-city dwellers, driving in old cars with engines which never were tuned. They really need the very best gas to decrease the knocking.

Know this very well - I drove in such a car the first two years after immigrating. And currently my car have the same 3.8l supercharged engine as yours.
    How do you find out the manufactured date of a car? When I bought the car, it had an invoice date of about 10/00. Would that be relatively the same date as the manufactured date.

There was a recall on Grand Prix's seat belts manufactured from April-May 2000. Since I just bought the car, I don't know if it was fixed. It would have been sitting on the dealer's lot all that time so I would assume they would have fixed it, but who knows.

Everyone talks about build dates so wondered how they find out this information.
    The manufacturing date (month only) can be found on a plaque affixed in a door frame. Or inside the trunk lid.
    I found the manufacturing date in the door frame. Thanks!
    I do not have any Sun stations where I live which is in Texas. Thanks for the info though. I was wanting to find out from GTP owners which gas company's superunleaded gas they perfer-Texaco, Conoco, Exxon, Etc.

Thanks,
    kdstan
    What is so special about the K&N air filter? I hear alot of car/truck owners putting the filters in. How are they better than other air filters?
  • xavier627xavier627 Member Posts: 7
    I currently own a 2001 GTP, used to own a 98 Pace Car but it got totaled in the snow Feb of 2000, and i'm still pissed... Anyways, Is there a way to improve the steering other than performing handling modifications such as springs, better tires, etc...?
  • xavier627xavier627 Member Posts: 7
    Forgot to ask... I'm most of my reading, I thought GTP's were to come with a 2 tranmission mode switch on the shifter, I dont' have one? Was it not offered in the 2001 GTP package? I'm looking into improving my shifting, because it's not as good as the my 2000 328ci.. I like how the beamer can shift down to 2nd and have a alot of thrust at 40mph.
    was discussed recently at the Buick Regal board. Turned to be, GM dropped quietly the button for Regal GS in 2001.

Would not surprised if they did the same with GP. Especially given GS and GTP basically are (is?) the same car, only in different-looking wrappers...

Dumb decision in my mind. This is just software, a set of tables in ROM. Marginal cost of software duplication is zero, and how much could cost one button?
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    The way K&Ns are designed allows more air flow than regular paper filters.

Steering: Go to the Grand AM section. Someone installed a strut tower brace which greatly improved steering response. Only costs about $100.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    If memory serves me right, the '01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP comes with the Magnasteer steering assist as standard equipment. According to technical info I have read, the Magnasteer steering can be 'adjusted' to the driver's preference. The adjustment can only be performed at the dealer but I believe it can be made firmer, softer, more effort, less effort, etc.

Look into this if you don't want to spend $$$ on hardware add ons when the Magnasteer in your car can easily be adjusted to your liking.
  • theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    I checked out some of the posts on this forum over the past couple of weeks and discovered what I already suspected - GP owners are, on the whole, quite pleased with their cars. So, we went out and bought one this past Thursday. We won't be picking it up until at least next week. We bought an incentive-laden 2001 GT that are hard to come by on local dealers lots these days so it'll take a few days to come in. I'll fill you in on the details once it comes in.

This will be my wife's car (replacing a minivan of all things) as mine will remain the 2000 Bonneville SLE that we bought last December. I guess that makes us a true Pontiac household (after 20+ years of buying strictly imports!).

Believe it or not, our final list was Century, Regal and GP GT - each had their strong and (relatively) weak points but we went with the latter for styling, handling and powertrain. Personally, I think the GT is one of the best values out there today - especially at invoice with incentive financing - and my sister's experience (she owns a '98 GT) has been very positive. Plus I'm familiar with the powertrain (identical to the Bonneville) so I don't expect any problems and look forward to ample grunt at any speed.

re. K&N: heng is right about K&N's claims re. less airflow restriction (= more horsepower). Plus they are re-useable so if you own the car long enough it eventually will more than pay for itself. Downsides: i) you've got to clean and oil them periodically; ii) I've heard 1 complaint from 1 person (who may have over-oiled their filters) about fouled/ruined oxygen sensors - that can be costly.

Anyway, glad to be a part of this club.
    There was a previous post about steering column clunking. I've noticed my steering wheel makes a noise sometimes when turning the wheel but it's not a clunking noise. It's more like a sound a steering wheel makes when the wheel is turned all the way except I haven't turned the wheel all the way.

Does anyone know if this is indicative of the steering column problems that various GM cars have had? In the cars that had this problem, did they all make an actual clunk sound?

It could be that this is normal for the Grand Prix.
  • fkoehlerfkoehler Member Posts: 15
    Hah!

Just took my 2000 GT to the dealer on Friday, and that was one of the problems.
    I live in a small apt. complex, and we have to pull into the driveway, and the there are 5 parking spots, diagonal.

They could not replicate the problem, of course.

I started up this morning, and of course.. clunk.

Actually, its a pretty subdued bassy thud in my case.
    Sounds like its coming from the passanger front axle area.

Very strange.

Besides that, I'm interested in the K&N Filter, as the GP seems just a little laggy when accelerating at 60 and above. Bu, its still real nice with the Wide-Track.
  • fkoehlerfkoehler Member Posts: 15
    Cup holders do suck in my opinion.

Bad place, very poor design.

Wish K&N had some sort of mod for that, I can't be the only one who finds them a pain. :)
    It seems the problem people are having is a definite "clunk" sound. I think this sound I'm having is probably normal. Could be I'm turning the steering wheel more than I realize. It may be just getting used to a new car--hope so!

What I find a poor design is the ashtray. I don't smoke but if I need to charge my phone with the cigarette lighter, the charge won't fit. Maybe that's just with Nokia phones.
    I hope your wife enjoys her new car. I'm sure she can't wait to get it! (I already sent a congratulations on the Bonneville forum but thought I'd send another.)
  • mkcomkco Member Posts: 65
    Here's my story about adjusting the Magnasteer....

I wanted to, since the steering on my '01 GTP could be a bit firmer for my tastes. So I brought in my car to the dealership where they knew absolutely nothing about it. (I had the same experience on my previous Magnasteer car -- a '98 Intrigue). So I went online and found a gentleman who kindly faxed me instructions from some manual (Helm?) that had instructions on how to adjust the Magnasteer. I brought it to my dealer on the next service visit and when I returned they said that the Magnasteer option didn't come up on their analyzer...that my car doesn't even HAVE Magnasteer!!!

If that's true, then the '01 Grand Prix brochure is inaccurate, but I suspect it's because the car has what they call Magnasteer II, and perhaps that isn't adjustable...I don't know.

Anyway, before telling me that my car didn't have Magnasteer, he told me he checked with Pontiac and said they said making it firmer was a bad idea, because you'd get 'memory steering" or something to that effect, where the wheel wouldn't return to its previous position after being turned...probably just some dealer b.s., right? And it's kind of a moot point if I really don't have Magnasteer!

The bottom line: If GM is going to put these features in their cars, they really ought to tell their dealers about it!
    How much horsepower do the K&N filters add when installed to the GTP. Do they help gas mileage any? Just curious!

Kdstan
  • theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    I've heard unsupported stories of 5 and 10 hp increases with a K&N on a supercharged Series II.

The K&N site says 2-3 hp for a 4 cyl. and 10+ hp for a 350 cu. in. V8. I'm skeptical about the latter numbers myself. While you're on the page, heed their advice about over-oiling.

• b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    If you have a clunking sound in your steering then you intermediate steering shaft needs to be replaced. These problems are legendary in intrigues and some impalas.

It is a not a design defect but a manufacturing one.

Your dealer should be aware of it.
    The sound I'm having is in the steering column. It's not a clunk but the sound the steering wheel makes when turning the wheel all the way. I've been paying attention over the past couple of days as to whether I'm turning the wheel more than I realize and I'm not. I imagine the problem you mention with the intermediate steering shaft makes a distinct clunk sound. Do you know if the intermediate steering shaft could make the sound I've mentioned.

I'll be going by the dealership soon and will discuss this with them but with my luck, it won't make the noise when I'm there or they won't hear it.

One more question--To change the programming mode for door locks, as best I can tell from reading the owner's manual, you have to go into the fuse box of the car. Am I correct on that? It would seem like there would be an easier way.

Thanks!
  • picvegitapicvegita Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,
    I just wanted to say I am purchasing a 99 PG GAP sedan and I am very excited, I am currently a college student and found that my 97 Explorer was just too boring and too gas consuming. So after much research I decided to go with the PG GAP, every time I went to test drive em, it was solo different from my Explorer it blew me away, well I will update ay the day I pick it up (less than 48 hours!!!!)
  • greywolfgreywolf Member Posts: 51
    Are you trying to say GP GTP?
    greywolf I was wondering the same thing. What is a PG GAP. He must be Dyslexic.
    Most probably, the spelling checker.
    I was thinking it was the spell checker too. I'm going to type PG GAP and hit spell check just to see.
This discussion has been closed.