Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• candlemaker2candlemaker2 Member Posts: 67
    Susan,
     Maybe try a different dealership. I have had problems with some. Depending where you live, ask around for people who have had positive experiences. I can recommend one if you are near Edmonton Alberta.
  • steve286steve286 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a minivan. I am condsidering a new or late model dodge because they are less costly compared to the the other brands. The problem is they seem like they are really just pieces of lemon-junk from the start judging from reading the complaints on this discussion. I see that dodge has many transmission problems coupled with a lot of annoying mechanical problems!

What do you think, should I even condsider this vehicle or buy a used forenign van? Money is tight with a baby!
  • larryintnlarryintn Member Posts: 103
    We just bought a 2002 Grand Caravan Sport. It had 16000 miles and cost $16598. Took it on a 1275 mile road trip last month and it performed well.

I liked the Caravan's strong points (size, ride, low noise level, integrated child seats and various features) over the competition and the competition's strong points (magic seat and Japanese reliability) wasn't as important to us. I also liked the relative value with the quick depreciation being taking by the first owner instead of the relatively high resale prices of similar imports.

The van has the 3/36 warranty (later 2002s would have 7/70 powertrain) and, after that, I have a good mechanic who's been working on my other cars for over ten years. I figure that I can pay for a lot of maintainance for the difference between a 2002 DGC and a 2002 Sienna or Honda.

My mechanic's transmission guy says that the Dodge's transmission has been significantly improved and that the problem that cause so many failures was fixed. He talked for a while about the specifics but I don't remember all of the details. I picked the Sport trim line as it had the featuers I wanted without the features which are more likely to have failures such as the power doors and tailgate.

The 3.3L engine is good though you do sometimes wish for a bit more oomph when entering the expressway. Fuel economy for the 1275 mile trip was 24.0 mpg with speed limits of 65 or 70 for most of the trip. Given the option of the 3.8L I'd stick with the 3.3L though I'm sure some would appreciate the extra power.

Definitely get one with the rear air conditioning. It does a great job at cooling the van down on a hot and humid day.

The biggest reason I can see to not get the Caravan is if you'd frequently use the Honda's Magic Seat feature. We don't so it wasn't a negative for us. The 2002 Sienna would have been our second choice but it was a good bit more expensive, smaller, and didn't have the integrated child seats and two sets of 3-point LATCH anchors in the second row (which are a bit plus for the DGC for us). The redesigned 2004 Seinna looks very nice but we wanted to buy used, not new.

We bought from Carmax. Found the van on the web site in Greensboro, NC and had them transfer it to Nashville. Their no haggle price was a couple hundred under the TMV price so that was fine. Might have gotten it a bit cheaper from a private owner or haggled down a dealer but the convenience of searching through a dozens of vans on the web site let me find exactly what I wanted instead of just getting something close. CarFAX was clean, no evidence of rental or lease registration though I've had program cars before without any problems.
  • distraught21distraught21 Member Posts: 2
    In follow up to my previous posting ... looking for other 2003 Dodge Caravan owners with low mileage and tran troubles. Bought the car with 54 miles on it... they had to remove trans at 300 miles and replace front pump (which I was told from Chrysler was an upgrade for the 2004). Picked up car ... still had harsh downshift problem ... now they say that it is a 8/1 TSB from Chrysler re software upgrade to controller in transmission. Anyone else out there with same problem ??
  • steelengsteeleng Member Posts: 71
    steve286 - I would not buy a Dodge or Chrysler van if I were you. Since you have already pre-judged them to be lemon junk you will outraged at any little niggling problem that comes up. You will constantly be worried about every noise or jolt and figure that something major is destined to fail and leave you stranded. No, you would be better served paying more for a comparable Japanese van so that you can have peace of mind until something actually does fail.

BTW, I drive a 2001 DGC that I bought used with 14000 miles. It had been a rental and it now has 23000 miles. The only problem that I have had is a loose piece of molding.
    We bought our 2002 Caravan SE in May of this year and so far have been very happy with it.
    Yes there have been things go wrong, clock spring and power steering hose re-call. Also when we first purchased the van we had problems with the steering until the shop did a 4 wheel alignment on it.
    No matter what you buy, there can be problems. This Caravan is far better than any other van we have owned, we have had Ford Aerostars and Windstars and Chev Lumina APV.
    As far as quality goes, the Caravan is superior. Before we bought, we asked a mechanic who had owned his shop for over 20 years, what he recommended. He said without hesitation, for a minivan Dodge Caravan/Plymouth Voyager from 2000 up are the best. We asked about Imports and he said they have had their share of troubles and would not recommend buying one used. The ultimate decision is yours but check the postings from other boards and see what owners are saying about Imports.
    We are glad we bought a Caravan!
    Candlemaker has a good point. The Honda minivan has had more problems than other Honda vehicles so don't think you're getting Accord reliability from an Odyssey.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    My '99 GCS has been a great van for us, with only a few recalls and minor problems in over four years (O2 sensor, battery, serpentine belt). It's a smooth, comfortable, and good-handling (for its size) van. The 3.8L engine provides decent power even with its 180 hp (same as the 3.3L offers today). I would appreciate the stow-away rear seat in my next van, but fortunately for me DC is supposed to offer that starting in early '04, so I will keep the DC vans on my list. With the 7/70 warranty, I won't worry about transmission problems. Every van can have trouble. Check out the 2004 Sienna board and read about the transmission problems that those vans are having. Also I still think the DC vans are the best-looking vans out there.
  • mjestermjester Member Posts: 1
    Where can I get information on the power steering recall? I didn't receive anything and I haven't seen it posted online.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide should list recall information about your van.

You could also call or stop by your dealer's service department and give them your VIN and ask them to check for any outstanding recalls in their computer system.

Steve, Host
    We had our van in to have the clockspring replaced and when I made the appointment, he told me about the recall and said they would take care of it at the same time. I did not get anything in the mail either. Call your dealer and ask. Ours is a 2002 SE.
  • Jim CroninJim Cronin Member Posts: 7
    I had a 2000 Chrysler Voyager throw about 7 belts. They used a TSB from a 1999 Voyager and all is well. Ask the dealer about the TSB and it should solve your problems. I went through alot of trouble and headaches but in the end they did come up with a fix
  • ellieirishellieirish Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager in 1999 as a year old car. Loved it! At a year and a half into my ownership, the head gaskets were blown and my mechanic suggested I repair it with the dealer as it was just past the warranty. Big bill which I was partiall reimbursed for after writing a letter to Chrysler. At five years of age the drive belt came off and the pistons were found to be cracked. Diagnosis: needs a whole new engine, not worth fixing. I have three friends with similar stories but none lost their car at 86,000. miles. I got 1,200. as a trade in since the van smoked, rattled and barely made it to the Mazda dealership where I bought my 2003 MPV. I'll never buy Chrysler again.
  • strokeoluckstrokeoluck Member Posts: 99
    Since this board only seems to attract the people that had bad experiences, I will once again post mine. I own a '96 Plymouth Grand Voyager that I purchased in '98 with 30,000 miles on it. This van has been fantastic and extremely reliable. Unless you're towing regularly I doubt if anyone out there puts it through any more stress than we do. We've driven it 15 hours straight in 100 degree heat. We've driven it 15 hours straight in -10 degree snowstorms. We drive it all over our city and county roads making many stops/starts/turns.

Yes we replaced a head gasket for about $900 and a few other minor electrical issues that maybe totaled $200. Factor that $1100 into our purchase price of ~$15,000 and then divide it out over the four years and a half years we've owned this van and you find...one VERY inexpensive van to drive. And did I mention it has 109,000 miles and it still rides great? And did I mention that it still looks good? As I always say: this is the best selling van in the country - there are not that many fools out there folks. For those of you reading this board wondering what to buy just keep in mind that HAPPY customers RARELY share their stories (particularly happy family customers because they're so darn busy w/family stuff to post here) but unhappy customers ALWAYS share their stories. Take the negative stories with a grain of salt. I don't doubt they're true, just like I don't doubt you'll find all sorts of negative posts on the foreign boards, but keep it all in perspective.

- Rob
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    How many DC vans have been sold in the past 20 years? Or just in the past four years? How many posts are on this board? How many Mazda MPVs have been sold in the past four years? (The MPV is the 2nd-best van for reliability according to Consumer Reports, just behind the Sienna.) How many posts are on the MPV Problems board? (Hint: a lot more than on this board.) Doesn't prove anything, and not all posts and problems are created equal, but it's an interesting bit of trivia, no?
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Answer to first question, 10 million DC vans sold
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    Ody van site. They crow about how reliable and that is why they bought it. Then, the next sentence is, but we bought the extended warranty just in case. I think they need a site like Edmunds to get reassurance about their purchase.
  • quandaoquandao Member Posts: 4
    I bought the 96 DC Sport. First year, 4 sides molding broke one at the time, 4 trips to dealer.Second years, windshield gasket popped out, outside rearview gasket popped out, driver side sliding door power door lock stuck at unlock position(22K miles) caused by bad power module. Third year,second row bench replaced(poor workmanship),the driver side sliding door power module bad again at 28K and again at 37K. After 37K they did not fixed it under waranty any more. I called Dodge headquarter to complain about this why 3 power modules on the same door bad. They did not fix the problem, all they did were replaced the bad module and let it died a year later. And the answear i got was "Sorry you are out of warranty". I gave up and leave that door unlock for good. At 50K I had a bad Oxygen sensor, at 65K sometimes the van would not start, replaced starter, fixed. At 70K brake fluid leaked at rear wheels, replaced brake wheel cylinder. Inside rear view mirror fell off. At 90K replaced transmision, airbag light somtimes turned on and off. At 100K, when the weather is hot and the AC is on, the car sometimes stalls at slow traffic. I take good care of this van. I like this van very much. This is my first Dodge and probably the last one.
  • royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    I'm updating my "happy owner" report. My wife's '95 Caravan is at 98000 miles and minimal problems. I needed AC service this spring and have a faint compressor whine. Mechanic says drive it 'til it fails. I replaced front brake pads at no cost on lifetime warranty. All other service the past year are preventive maintenance. $72 repair (+$300 compressor soon) over 12000 mi= well below normal.
  • krissiannekrissianne Member Posts: 1
    I have been a very satisfied owner of the 2000 Chrysler Voyager. Bought it brand new, and had no problems...until I hit exactly the 40,000 mark. It was as if a time bomb happened. After coming home from a short trip, I noticed a grinding, metal-to-metal sound in the front when I applied the brakes, which over the course of less than a mile became unbearably loud. Took it to the garage the next day...the front brakes were wore down to the metal. The weird thing is that I had no warning. No sqealing sound, no loss of brakes or pressure. Nothing. Just, poof. I don't know if anyone else had this happen to them. But it was pretty scary for me, as my 5 year old son was with me. When I had the van inspected in the beginning of the year, the garage said the brakes were 70/50, and it passed inspection. Go figure.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ...the garage measured the outside pads, and found them okay, but the inside pads wore out quicker due to sticking caliper sliding pins.

Just another point to do as much of the inspection stuff yourself if one has the inclination and the resources.
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    We have had our 2001 GC since new and in general, it has been a decent vehicle. However, when it was about 6 months old, it developed what to me was a significant driveability issue. On the highway with the torque converter locked up, there was no relationship between how far you pressed the accelerator and the acceleration of the vehicle until finally, the transmission downshifted and away you went. Every other fuel injected car I have driven(and with rentals it has been in the hundreds), you press the gas and you go. You press the gas more and you go more. Not so with this engine.
    It has been in 7-8 times for the problem and the dealer claims not even Chrysler can figure it what the matter is. I told the dealer I'd drop the matter if they would let me drive a similar vehicle with the same engine and I could see that it also drives that way.
    The point of this is that our warranty is soon to run out and if I'm going to take a stand with Chrysler, I have to do it soon. For anyone with this vehicle/engine combination, does it drive as you would expect or does it have a hesitation until you press the accelerator fairly far down? Your responses would be appreciated.
  • ktburlingamektburlingame Member Posts: 1
    I just purchases a brand NEW 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan (with only 5 miles on it) less than a month ago and it has already been in the shop once. I have a clicking noise when I am at turning right at speeds greater than 10 mph (like onto a side street, etc). I have started to hear the clicking under the brake pedal and into the center of the engine. You can also feel the clicking vibrating on the brake pedal and steering wheel. The mechanic said he couldnt find anything and greased my brakes. It has been 3 days since the 'greasing' and the noise is BACK. I thought of a CV joint, but had that problem before and dont think that is what it is. It is intermitent and not a costant click eveytime I turn. Any ideas or similar experiences?
  • ramarquardt2ramarquardt2 Member Posts: 15
    I purchased a 96 Grand Voyager Plymouth new back on 9/95. I currently have 81k miles. I was just informed by the dealer (via routine maint) that both strut towers have experienced metal fatigue and rusting and need to be repaired by a body shop. The towers were fatiguing for years and the dealer in the past stated it was not an issue.... now it is... I have filed a complaint with Chrysler but they stated that the van is well beyond the warranty period. In reviewing the NHTSA web site, I found over 13 complaints covering Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth in just 15 minutes of research.. this is not the final number as I'm not done yet. Complaints affect Chrysler, Dodge and Plymouth. Has anyone else seen this problem? According to what I see on the web, this is a major, emerging issue affecting all 96 mini-vans made by Chrysler.
    For ref, I am enclosing some of the NHTSA complaints that you can review yourself.
    10030985, 10034578, 10016868, 10031538, 8016720, 8005867, 10032249, 892718, 8024099, 8023905, 10021398, 731422, 770506, 10003849

If anyone has seen this problem or remedied it, please provide feedback.
    thank-you
  • tko5otko5o Member Posts: 1
    And I thought I was the only one out there with the 96 Grand Voyager that was a piece of crap! I bought mine used in 98 with about 60k on it, and within six months I had to rebuild the entire motor, replace CV joints,struts, tie rod, rack and pinion,Cooling fans and relay switch,The brakes are always bad, constant transmission problems and a long list of numerous other problems. My radiator just cracked, my A/C compressor just went out, which by the way has been leaking for a year, 1 can every two days. I too have the “phantom” windshield wiper problem when I use the turn signal. (I thought it was just my eyes) :~) I have major road noise no matter how expensive or well rated the tires are. This is the first “non-Chevy” vehicle we have ever owned, and nothing but problems with it, these van's are a road and pocket hazard! I will stick with my Chevy’s and throw the Plymouth over the mountain (there are plenty here in Hawaii).
  • strokeoluckstrokeoluck Member Posts: 99
    Interesting find. I think I have this problem as well - in a minor way. About a month ago we had a spot of rust on the frame just below where the driver's side door slides shut. It was not a big deal and I probably could have left it alone but I decided to sand it down and throw a little primer on it to stop it's progress (fortunately the grey primer just about matches the silver paint so I didn't bother painting it).

While I was feeling manly I threw open the hood to check things out. I noticed that the driver's side strut tower was a little rusty. I just assumed it was because at one point we had a slightly leaky windshield trim piece, now I'm starting to think maybe a leak still exists and we just don't know about it. Anyway I dug into the rust with a hammer and screwdriver and broke off most of the major flaking. There's still a boatload of good metal under there and I sprayed the heck out of it with primer but I realize I didn't solve the main problem: the leak...wherever it is. But for us it's ok. We may hold the van another year, maybe two and there's no way this rust is doing anything in that timeframe, not even up here in Michigan.

I can't see why Chrysler would do anything about the problem now - it's an eight year old van. But hey, keep us updated if they do anything for you and I'd be happy to take it in for a free body repair.

Thanks,
    Rob
  • roadrobertroadrobert Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone experienced this same problem with a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth Minivan and know the "FIX"???

While driving on a hot day with A/C on, van suddenly stalls (while coasting / idling – foot is OFF the accelerator).

When attempting to re start (in N or P), after turning the key it will start momentarily then immediately stall - it will not remain running. However, if you PUMP THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL as it momentarily starts it will then start, idle then resume normal operation...

Very intermittent problem that has now occurred three times: May 10 @ 78K, August 19 @ 82K (2002) then August 26 @ 99.7K (2003).

After the second incident, I had the following actions performed by a reputable local repair shop on August 22, 2002: "replaced fuel filter, performed a combustion chamber cleaning of fuel injection system and combustion chambers".

Nearly one year later, when problem re occurred for the third time after re starting (by method described above) van stalled two or three more times on the way home, then again problem “disappeared”. For lack of better idea, while in neutral at a stop light, I floored the accelerator for about five seconds (rev limiter kicked in @ 5500 RPM) to “blow out” the fuel system??? I drove it the last three days no re-occurrence... running fine.

Thank you for your help and taking the time to read this... looking forward to replies!

Robert Rendano
    rrendano@thermawave.com
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    I presume you have the 3.3 liter engine. I had a similar problem due to the throttle body needing cleaning. After having the throttle body service at a dealer, I started spraying the TB with Gunk TB cleaner every few months. I disconnect the air cleaner and spray with the engine running per instructions. You have to increase the idle while you spray so the engine doesn't die. That was about 6 yrs. ago and no problem since.
  • ramarquardt2ramarquardt2 Member Posts: 15
    I took the van (mentioned in posting #1967) to the Chrysler dealer this past Thursday. Got 2 quotes for the strut towers. #1 was for $600 and involved adding a metal cap over the existing towers inside the engine compartment which is rivoted / welded to the existing tower. Doesn't stop the existing rusting... just adds more metal. Dealer stated that folks who complained within the 7yr/70k warranty would get fix #1. #2 was for $1000 and involved replacing both strut towers.

Will probably opt for #1 as it should make it last for several more years. The body shop mgr stated that he had done over 50 '96 Chrysler vans so far and has started to see some '97 vans recently. Stated that there was tech bulletin and Chrysler made a special cap part available for warranty work as I mentioned above. He specifically stated that it was a design defect. I have 3 co-workers here who have Chrysler vans. I mentioned it to the one who has a '98 and he stated that he has seen rust starting on his strut towers but it wasn't as bad as mine. I told him that his is 2 years newer and 2 years ago, mine looked similiar to his.

I did research the NHTSA web site and found dozens more complaints. The search engine on their web site requires you to entire the year, manufacturer, vehicle type and problem description. In other words, you have to search on Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge separately for Voyager, Grand Voyager, Carvan, Grand Caravan, T&C and then by suspension selections.

Just sharing with the rest of you........
  • hatch5hatch5 Member Posts: 27
    I have 96 Grand Voyager.
    I'm having a problem starting my van. I have to turn the key several times to start, sometimes like 20 times. It only makes ''click'' sound when it fails to start.
    In this board, I learned that many people have experienced same problem. How much will it cost to have it fixed ? Please help!!
    Could be a bad starter, failing battery or charging system, or deteriorating electrical cables from the battery to the frame or battery to starter.

If you still have thr original battery you might want to replace it regardless as seven years is a long time for a battery and you're likely to have problems soon if you aren't already. The Battery cables are relatively cheap so you might consider replacing them as a preventative measure as well. The rest of the electrical system can be tested by your mechanic.
    Thanks for your input.
    I also thought it is battery, so I brought the van to Auto Zone. But surprisingly, battery was OK. (My battery was replaced 2 y. ago.)
    As you suggest, they said it may be bad cables or bolts connected to the battery.
    But if it is starter, will it be expensive ?
    I have already fixed transmission, AC, head gasket, brake, shocks, speed and O2 censers, and I do not want to spend any more money for this van !
    A two year old battery should be fine, especially since it tests good. It's in the five year old area where batteries frequently fail as, apparently, your first one did. That's normal.

At your van's age a bad starter wouldn't be unheard of. Definitely do the new battery cables, though, even if the starter is bad. If those cables are seven years old then it's worth the trouble to replace them as weak cables can contribute to the starter failing so you'll want nice new cables to go with a new starter.

I didn't know any specifics about your van but asked by mechanics for a rough guess on the cost of changing a starter. The starter from the dealer would be about $200 but he thought he could get one in the $100-$150 range. It'll take about an hour's labor to install so that depends on your mechanic's shop rate. My mechanic charges $59/hr, dealers are typically higher maybe $75 or $80/hr. So a really rough stab would be a total somewhere in the $160-$280 range.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Sounds like you have a starter going bad. Are you handy at all? If so it might be reasonably easy to change out a starter yourself. You can buy rebuilt starters pretty inexpensively from auto parts stores (not the dealer, you will pay too much). They usually give you a credit for turning in your old starter. Take a look at where your starter is, see if you want to try to tackle it yourself. It might surprise you, some starters are very easy to access and replace. It is usually just above the oil pan mounted on the engin block on the front (radiator) side.Just a couple of wires to disconnect and reconnect and two bolts on many of them. I haven't had the need to investigate this on my '96 Caravan, however and access may be better or worse depending on which engine you have. Did it myself on our old 85 Caravan about 10 years ago and it was a snap to to myself.
  • 5happycampers15happycampers1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan. The auto lock (all doors lock when the van starts moving)"feature" is a real pain. Is there a way to disable this feature??

Thanks for your help.

John
    Yes, the autolock feature can be disabled (at least in the 2002 it can). Check your owners manual for the procedure. If you don't have the manual I'll look it up in mine and let you know the procedure.
    thanks for the reply. The manual does not mention disabling the lock feature. What does the 2002 manual say - just curious -maybe it will work on my 1996...
    From the 2002 Caravan Owner's manual:

The automatic Door Locks can be enabled or disabled by performing the following procedure:

1. Close all doors and place the key in the ignition switch.

2. Cycle the ignition switch ON/OFF four times ending in the off position. (Do not start the engine)

3. Within 10 seconds of the final cycle, press the interior driver's door lock switch to the LOCK position.

4. A single chime will sound to signify that you have successfully completed the programming.

You can turn the feature back on by repeating the above mentioned procedure.
    thanks for the reply. The manual does not mention disabling the lock feature. What does the 2002 manual say - just curious -maybe it will work on my 1996...
    That's what I just posted. :)
    If you refresh your browser after posting without going elsewhere first, your message will get reposted, as seems to have happened here. It's a feature of our software :-(.

The fix is to click Recent Messages to view replies to your posts. Thanks!

Steve, Host
    Thank you guys!
    I have not had a problem to start my van since then.
    But I will replace the cables anyway. I hope the problem won't come back!
  • toronado455toronado455 Member Posts: 83
    I have a 2002 GC Sport which was recalled for defective power steering hoses. After the dealer replaced the defective hoses the P/S makes the characteristic noise of no P/S fluid even though the system is full. The noise goes away after aprox 30 min of driving but always returns after letting the car sit for about 8 hours or so. The dealer re-bled and refilled the system and its less noisy now but the noise is still there and getting worse I fear. Anyone else had a similar experience with another dealer?
  • ppekppek Member Posts: 58
    I had my Grand Caravan ES AWD in for the power steering recall, and I had the opposite experience. I had the noise before it went in (even had it in for them to check), and all noises went away after the recall. I'm not sure if it was a fluke, but I don't have any more noises any more.

My noises were primarily when the car was cold, and when we would turn the wheel with the car parked.

Paul
  • jerseyjohn1jerseyjohn1 Member Posts: 1
    Same issue here in S Jersey. I wish I lived where you guys lived, they are quoting me 4500.00 and I just do not have it. I'll gladly drive wherever to save over 3000.00 since someones here had it done for 600/side, 1K for both.

If you had the retro fix completed can you tell me the part number or whatever it is they call it so I can tell service what to look for in there computer system.

These service managers are just not on top of it.

Thanks for any and all info.

Regards,
    John
  • quandaoquandao Member Posts: 4
    It will show up again. I had the same problem to start my 96 Caravan. I heard the relay click but the motor would not turned. I tried to start it many times or just waited for 5-10 minutes then it would start again. It happened once in few weeks then once or twice a week. I took the starter out to clean it and brought it to the auto part to test it. It was OK, but the problem still there. I took me 5 months to probe around without result. Finally I took a chance by replacing the starter. Now it is almost 2 years the car start fine. It cost me $70 for the rebuilt starter.
  • mossimossi Member Posts: 1
    We have a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan. Recently it began pulling to the right. We went to have it aligned and the guy said it was torque steer or pull. The dealership told us they had never heard of this problem. We took it to a local mechanic who replaced broken motor mounts thinking that was the problem. After trying everything he could think of and $540.00 later the problem is not fixed. Has anyone else experienced this problem and what was your solution? By the way the dealership told our mechanic they had heard of the problem but did not know how to fix it.
    We Had the same problem when we purchased our 2002 Caravan this spring. I posted it but no one posted back so I guess it is not a common problem. We had it into the shop 4-5 times and they finally got it done. They said they had been only doing 2 wheel alignments on it and the last time did a 4 wheel alignment. What ever they did , it fixed the problem. We do mostly high way driving and the steering was so bad we had to switch off after 20-30 min driving because the van pulled so bad it hurt our arm and shoulders having to correct it so much. Good luck with it.
    It sure sounded more like a tire or an alignment issue to me than torque steer until the broken motor mounts were brought up.

I'd skip the dealer and your mechanic and find a real alignment shop in this case.

Steve, Host
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Had a similar problem with a 96. All of a sudden Van started pulling left. Tire store set van to specs (so they said) twice. Van still pulled. Went to a independent shop that had been in business for many years they tweaked the specs and rotated the tires until they got it right. Tires had only 20,000 of 60,000 mile guarantee and still had lots of tread. Van handled like a dream and tracked true after that. Look for a good independant shop. Price was better at independant shop too.