Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• ralvralv Member Posts: 2
    I think the silver looks the classiest. One thing I did not like about it, I got into a little accident and they had to repaint my back bumper. The color that came from the mitsu dealer is a lot darker. I am not happy with that. I have noticed the same problem on a couple of silver mitsu's. I am going to take it in to get it lightened so I will see what happens.

This is the only reason why I would not recommend the silver. But I still love it
  • vac23vac23 Member Posts: 118
    most paint won't match between the bumpers & the rest of the car due to the materials use. bumpers are usually plastic/fiberglass. Doors, trunk lids, hoods etc are metal/steel. Both are prep differently before being painted & each material takes paint a little different. Of course a good body shop should be able to adjust the paint mixture according to the material they are painting.
  • texrobintexrobin Member Posts: 13
    Don't give up. Try Gillman Mistubishi in Shertz (San Antonio), just barely an hour away from Austin. I just bought one there 3 weeks ago and I can assure you, they will come down on the price. Email me and I will give you the name of my salesman and some other details.
    I thought you'd be able to get my address from clicking on texrobin, but maybe not. Anyway, the address is texrobin@yahoo.com. Oh, and yes, I got the ES V6 w/ 1.9% financing. I got NOWHERE with the two Austin Mistu dealerships.

Also, for the person who's asking about color, good luck trying to find any more black with tan interiors Galants. Hard to find. I personally like the biege w/ tan interior... that's what I went with.
  • esjesj Member Posts: 2
    no special financing unless you purchase at msrp? what bs. that's called price fixing, when manufacturers tell their dealers what prices they MUST sell the cars at, and that's illegal. dealers set their own prices, even if there's special financing.

you shouldn't pass up on a car you like just because of a bad experience at the dealer.

as vac23 said earlier, why not order from the other dealer. then, you can order a new car from the plant (and wait a few weeks), or they might arrange a swap with the dealer you're having trouble with.

also, if you find a good deal in a newspaper ad, you can take it to your nearby dealer and ask to match the price.
  • ultratechultratech Member Posts: 142
    My car had a little color defect on the right from door, and since it was covered by manufacture warranty, they did a repaint or don't know what the heck they did to it ... but looks like it was never there to start with ...

Oh and posting this again:
    Anyone buying a galant who's willing to make the dealer throw in some free mudguards and sell them to me for $30?
    a day late & a dollar short. We just picked up our 2nd Galant last night. I'm probably gonna order some mudguards & a few other items from don herring Mitsu in tx. They deal online & discount the price abit.. Their website is www.donherring.com (i think) you might wanna email them for a price.
  • buhundbuhund Member Posts: 2
    Ok, ok, ok, you all have convinced my not to give up. I am first going to try Gillman in S.A. and if for some reason I have problems there I will also try Dallas. Although by the sound of it I don't think S.A. will be a problem (thanks texrobin). I'm traveling right now so hopefully we'll have our new Galant the last weekend in July. If we get it I will stop by this message board and let all of you know....right after I drive my new Galant to Town North Imports in Austin and tell the idiot salesman that he should review his "policies".
  • dtarentinodtarentino Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new 99 Galant ES w/ premium package. Very happy with everything with the exception of the brakes.(ABS Brakes) When I test drove the galant, I didn't actually get to drive the one that I bought because it was the floor model.

When I picked up this car, with 19 miles on it and so excitedly drove it home, I noticed that when I stepped on the brakes the steering wheel shimmered from side to side. VERY NOTICEABLE!

I brought the car to the mechanic just 1 week after buying it and he said that there was some rust on the rotors and that they had needed to be turned. Since then this problem has occured about 4 different times and the rotors have been replaced 3 of these times. (mitsu paid for this)

Has anyone had a similar problem?? It seems that if you hit the brakes hard just once, it causes a crease in the rotors which causes the uneveness when pressure is applied to the brakes, which results in a very annoying shimmer anytime you put your brakes on while going over 30 miles per hour.

I know that the dealer is sick of me, but I wanted to check to see if anyone who has bought one or driven one has noticed this same problem???? It may even seem that for the size, weight of the car the braking system can't handle it.
  • vivonavivona Member Posts: 410
    dtarentino--You may find the article I wrote on brake pulsation useful in solving your problem. In almost every case, it is improper shop practice that causes the problem. Read the article at:

http://www.geocities.com/diamanteowner/article2.htm

Mr. Vivona
    I have the same problem on my '99 GTZ. The rotors are warped (probably from over tighten lug nuts). I'm just living with it for now. I have about 23.5k so pretty soon I'm gonna try to put some cross drilled rotors on the front.
  • 2stressed2stressed Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Galant. I have already replaced the transmission on it once and I feel like it will go out again. When I took my car in the second time to have it looked at, there were two other Galants of the same body style that the mechanic said were both in the shop because of transmission problems also. I am considering buying a new car because of this. Has anyone else with a Galant had this problem?
  • blf2blf2 Member Posts: 38
    Just took delivery of a 2000 GTZ. We were only able to locate one GTZ in a 600 mile radius of our home in New Mexico. I guess since they started making the 2001's, the 2000 GTZ's are pretty scarce. It was definately worth the work to find this car. Black w/ grey leather interior, looks similar to a BMW M5,if you squint your eyes a bit:o) What a great road car, very solid and quiet. We got the car for 23,300, including the gold package (23,795 out the door, we had a no-equity trade-in) with the 1.9% financing & zero down our pmnts are just under $418. I know I paid a fair amount over invoice but with the 1.9 and the rarity of the GTZ, I have ABSOLUTELY no problem with the deal we received, plus NO car out there can match it at $418 a month!!
  • dnicholsondnicholson Member Posts: 1
    I have a '96 Galant and had to have the transmission rebuilt at 75K miles. It is now in the shop for the 4th time, the torque converter keeps going out. They now tell me that there is a chip in the engine that is bad that makes the torque converter go out. MORE time and money! I am so over this car I don't think I'll ever buy another.
  • alex70alex70 Member Posts: 2
    I just test drove a 2000 GTZ and was wondering if anyone has compared the galant to the Maxima se. I believe that is the comparable model. Also does anyone have a good idea of what is fair price. The mit. dealer I went to quoted 24,242. I need a very very reliable,problem free car. But I also want style and features for a fair price. Any Ideas/thoughts on diff/advantage of galant vs. maxima
    We all want trouble free cars, but even the most reliable cars has defects .... You should be better off reading back some of the post, then go to the maximas' forum and do the same thing.

I'm thinking of getting a spoiler , but it may not look good with the 15 inch tires , maybe i need to change to bigger tires before that.
  • epikgtzepikgtz Member Posts: 18
    Alex70,

The comparable Nissan model is the Altima, not the Maxima. (Compare the Diamante to the Maxima).

Ultratech,

I have a '00 GTZ which came with the spoiler, and a friend of mine has an '00 SE which he added the spoiler to. I think both cars look great with the spoiler, although we may not be the comparison you are looking for as he already had wheels instead of the the wheel covers.

I'll tell you this though, my one regret with the GTZ is the color coordinated grill. I kinda wish they stuck with the chrome. From the (slightly offset) front, I like the way HIS car looks better than mine, and I think the chrome grill has a lot to do with it. The chrome grill with the spoiler DOES look very sporty - it gives the car a "mean" look.
    Is there any info on what year models it's for?
    Sept 99 Car&Driver did a complete Sedan Comparison.Last Place-Hyundai Sonata GLS, 7th- Chevy Malibu LS, 6th-Nissan Altima GXE, 5th-Dodge Stratus ES, 4th-Toyota Camry LE, 3rd-Olds Alero GL,2nd-Honda Accord Es, And the winner-Mitsubishi Galant ES. As far as the Nissan comparison, the Altima doesn't have a V6 option, and the Maxima is a slightly larger more expensive vehicle than the Galant, it's closer to the Toyota Avalon. Unless you're paying cash, you can't get a comparable vehicle to the GTZ with the 1.9 financing. I just got done driving Honda, Olds, and Toyota, and dollar for dollar, the GTZ was the clear winner. As for the price, We got ours last Saturday for a litle less than what you posted, but it's still a decent price, I'm sure you can get $500 knocked off w/out too much wrestling. The 2000 GTZ's are VERY hard to find, and with the 1.9% the dealers don't have much incentive to make major price cuts. Just get it you'll love it :o)
  • alex70alex70 Member Posts: 2
    I didn't even think about the altima. But now that you mention it I guess your right,it the right comparison, Thanks for the info. I thought the GTZ looked sharp. but the es v6 does have a certain something. I'm glad no problms w/gtz.WAS the gtz a better buy price wise?
    Let me clarify, I know no car is completely prblm free. But I want and need a car that is reliable. I hate being stranded on the highway in the middle of the night or unable to get to work.( no public transport in my town). Thanks for car & drvr info!!! I test drove the camry#4 which I know is reliable but I wasn't very impressed with the styling.
    Is your friend ES 4-cyl or V6 ? and if 4-cyl, does he have original 15" alloys or bigger aftermarkets?
  • galantgtz2000galantgtz2000 Member Posts: 4
    The recall only affects Mitsu cars built in Japan. And the article said none of the cars being recalled were exported out of Japan. Thus I think our cars are not affected by the recall. Besides, the US version of the Galant is built in Normal, Illinois, not in Japan. (Our US version is slightly different from the Japanese version.) However, the Montero (Pajero as it is called in Japan) is built in Japan.
    Alex70,

The ES/V6 is probably a tad better buy pricewise because the GTZs are so rare the dealers are less willing to move on the price. My deal was $1 less than someone else on the board who bought a '00 GTZ and $28 less than a 3rd person's so I think there is a set range they want to keep the GTZs at because if we didn't take it, the next person in the door would have. I think it's worth it though, the 1.9% financing more than made up for any small change I though the dealer could have come down, so I am completely happy with my deal.

ultratech,

His is the V6 and it came with the same wheels that are standard on the GTZ. So when he added the spoiler, the only ways you could tell the difference between his ES and my GTZ on the outside was the chrome grill, the ES symbol (obviously) and the fact that there was a 3rd light both in the back windo and on the spoiler. (The GTZ doesn't have a 3rd light in the back window because it's on the spoiler).

However, on the inside he has the cloth instead of the leather, doesn't have the side airbags, the sport instrument panel, the woodgrain detailing, or the sport suspension. If I remember correctly, his car was about $2500 less than mine, but I don't know how much he had to add back in to have the spoiler added or if that was part of his final negotiations. I can ask.
  • rungnateerungnatee Member Posts: 2
    I just recently (two weeks ago)purchased the new 2000 Galant LS V6 with the Infinity audio system and I love the way it handles. I just have one problem...exactly one week after purchasing it the audio system stopped working. I took it back to the dealership and they thought it may be a fuse, but it wasn't. I had already checked. The Infinity audio system has an anti-theft system that requires a code whenever there is a disconnect in power.

Anyway, not only does the audio system not work, but now when I hit the lock button on my door, it doesn't lock. It seems to be some electronic problems.

Well...anyway, the dealership says they don't have enough mechanics available this week, so I'll
    be without "The Sound of Music" for a week.

Has any one else experienced this problem with the Infinity Audio system?
    I've had my '99 GTZ since 11/98 W/24k miles & haven't had any type of electrical or mechanical problems w/it. (Knock on wood) My fiancee just got a '00 GTZ last week & so far w/500miles on it-no problems either. Looks like you got that 1 in a million deal. Hopefully the dealer can fix it permanantly.
  • stachiestachie Member Posts: 1
    I AM LOOKING AT A GTZ GALANT
    CAN SOME OF YOU SHARE THE BEST PRICING YOU HAVE PURCHASED THIS CAR FOR
    I AM TRYING TO GET 1.9% FINANCING + THE 1500.00 REBATE
    THANKS
    MIKE
  • ddk1ddk1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone encountered any noises comming from in or under their dash? I have a 2000 ES V6 and 1 thing is my winshield on the driverside has stared rattling like it's not fit tight. The other is a really weird noise some where inthe dash. It started out by sounding like something was loose and now it usually has a tinkling sound. It seems to be comming from the passenger side. Other that that I'm pretty happy with mine.
    Thanks,
    DK
  • marak88marak88 Member Posts: 57
    ddk1, I'm only guessing on this, but the noise that is coming from the dricer side, I think it could be you VIN # plate rattling (slightly loose), and the other rattle that you are hearing from the passenger side could be the glove box ( need to adjust the lock on it, so it will stop rattling).
    Now I'm only talking a wild guess, from experiencing those two issues with my fiancee's Galant.

let me know

regards.
    We just got our Y2K GTZ last week. our price was 23.7k before tax and all that fun stuff
  • harrisotharrisot Member Posts: 1
    In Feb we purchased a '00 GTZ under Mitusbishi's 0/0/01 event (10 months to pay on principle was a nice deal). It took several trips to the dealership and my wife playing good-cop to my bad-cop, but we got the price to $22,460. The disadvantage was we missed the Dover White my wife wanted and ended up with a Patriot Red.
    LOL,

I really wanted my '00 GTZ in the Patriot Red, but ended up with the White. :)
    It's one or the other with the 1.9% financing and the rebate. You can't do both. I guess the rebate is if you pay cash or go with your own financing.
  • ejw2ejw2 Member Posts: 1
    A car salesman informed me that BMW is responsible for the exterior styling of the '99 and '00 Galants.
    Is this true?
    I see a lot of positive coments about Galants here, does anyone have anything negative to say about '99s or '00s?
    The rear of the Galant does look similar to the '95 Bimmers. Mitsu has had this version of the Galant in japan at least since '96. I've seen it being auction on E-bay by someone in Japan. As far as negative comments goes, I wish Mitsu had used a different brand of tire on the GTZ. The goodyears are a bit noise & doesn't handle the road as good as I like. Other then that the car's been great to me.
    Carsdirect does give you a price that includes rebate ... but I'm not sure if you can still get the Financing....

My Negative thigns about my galant:
    1) Cigarrette tray and lighter takes too much space
    2) Rear brakes are Drums, not Disc (4-cyl only)
    3) Car is kind of noisy in Idle, specially when cold ... (goes away after a while)
    4) No lock on the gas thing.
    5) That's IT !!

Potitive things:
    TOO MANY TO MENTION!

(I'm still looking for someone who can make dealer throw in some mudguards and sell them to me for $30)
  • boston14boston14 Member Posts: 111
    My 2000 es is fine so far the rattle noise and popping sound from the dash is fading thank god. My likes (great engine, transmission, driving position, overall feel) My dislikes are the cheap interior feel and the fit and finish of the a whole lot of the car.
    Our 2000 GTZ is everything we expected & more. Very solid ride, the fit & finish is exceptional, and no annoying noises except for a little tick coming from the VIN plate on the dash. I agree about the ES's interior, the cloth has a cheap feel about it, that was one of the primary reasons for moving up to the GTZ, the leather interior adds so much to the "feel" of quality, and the white face guages have a nice look to them(especially at night)the car seems quieter than the ES we test drove (not sure why). A couple things would've been nice-like a fully folding rear seat, remote gas door and seat-back storage pockets, minor stuff compared to all the great features however!
  • rmnyirmnyi Member Posts: 1
    First, thank you to all who have posted here. Your info helped make purchasing a new Galant that much easier. In fact, I may be getting a 2nd ES. My girfriends car(91 Accord w/130k)is in need of several repairs..not worth fixing. I thought they run 4ever? Oh well. Got the ES and love it. My 89 Pontiac Grand Prix(185k-i think thats a record for a GM product)also is dying. As i was shopping around, i couldn't stop thinking about the Galant. May be getting another. IF YOUR THINKING ABOUT THE GALANT, GO NOW!! REBATE ENDS 7/31. Thanks again for all your posts!
  • bventbvent Member Posts: 5
    If you are looking for a new Galant, check out Carmax's website @ www.carmax.com. They sell there's usually below dealer's invoice plus you can get the 1.9% (if you qualify). As far as complaints on my 2000 ES with 2k miles, I only have a few. My dome light kept falling out, there is no trunk release on the keyless entry, no gas lock, and I wish the seat would go back a little further (I'm 6'4"). But on a whole I love the car and the great deal I got. I would sincerely recommend. By the way I traded in an Altima and have received much better reception from people on the Galant's styling....
  • halomisthalomist Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased for my son a 1996 Galant ES. The car has 91K miles, but had the car evaluated by a Misubishi mechanic prior to purchase. The compression on the 2.4L engine was 170lb, plus or minus 2lbs! Overall, excellent mechanical and interior condition. Unfortunately, it had gone thru one of our midwestern hail storms, but with only minor dings (on the roof. But, for $5,800, this is a great buy for a college student! And, yes, a new Mitsubishi depreciates at a much faster rate than Hondas, Mazdas, or Toyotas. But, for the used car buyer, this is a Godsend!
    Hello

has any of you replaced the original factory radio with an after market radio on a 99 galant, I need help to know how did you get behind the wood grain panel that surrounds the radio.

any help is much appreciated.

regards
  • cluskincluskin Member Posts: 2
    I saw a 2000ES with 8000 miles. The asking price is $14800. Is this to high, to low? I would like to pay no more then $15000 out the door (MAX). Any ideas if this is possible?

Thanks
  • cluskincluskin Member Posts: 2
    I saw a 2000ES with 8000 miles. The asking price is $14800. Is this to high, to low? I would like to pay no more then $15000 out the door (MAX). Any ideas if this is possible?

Thanks
  • dsindsin Member Posts: 1
    To remove the original factory radio:
    put your hand deep into the pocket under climate controls, push rear side of the pocket down and pull lower side of the wood grain panel towards you;
    then pull upper side of the panel;
    remove 4 screws that hold climate controls panel and lower the panel as much as possible;
    remove 1 screw under left rear corner of the radio;
    pull the radio out;
    you may use original factory brackets to install your new radio.
    In our manual for our 2000 GTZ, it states that timing belt should be changed @ 60,000 miles unless you live in California, Mass., or Vermont, then it is recommended but not required until 100,000 miles. What gives! Is there a stronger belt installed in models shipped to those 3 states? Or is it a different setup due to some emission device? 60,000 miles seems to be a pretty short life for such a major component, also, does anyone know what a reasonable charge would be to have the belt changed? Thanks for any info on this, as I'm a bit confused!
    Well, you can probably get a new ES I-4 for like $16,000 with the rebate plus tax
    Thanks dsin for the info, that was very helpfull, I was able to replace the factory radio in 50 minutes, thanks to your help again.

regards
    I noticed that too. Don't know what's up for that. The cost to change a timing belt runs between $200-$300 at a non dealership mechanic here in NY. At a dealership it would probably cost 2-3x as much. I checke with my local Mitsu Dealer & it would cost me $175 to have my spark plugs replaced on my GTZ!!!!
    Kelley blue book on MSN carpoint.com lists the 2000 Es w/ 8000 miles for $18,400 with the 4 cyl.
    And $19,700 with the V-6, if the car is in showroom condition it sounds like a fair deal, even with the 4 banger! But if you need 80-100% financing, the 1.9% offered for the next 3 days would make the new vehicle come out very close to the same payment, also as mentioned in the previous post, with the rebate applied you could get that price down closer to the used car deal!
  • paul1967paul1967 Member Posts: 2
    If anyone would like to know the troubles that i've had with my piece of you know what LEMON,just let me know and I'd be more than happy to tell you. Be fore warned it could take a while!