Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Sales matter, but not to the degree that is presented here. Theres a lot that happens in between sales and Net on the Income Statement. Ingtonge, I know youre a Mitsu fan, but seriously, who do think earns better margins on its sales? VW or Mitsu... Mitsu has significant carryover debt from the distastrous and stupid 0/0/0 offer, Mitsu offers higher average rebate/financing than competing non domestic makes, costs will increase due to the free (impressive) powertrain warranty extension, AS WELL as the recently announced scheduled maintence. Save the Eclipse, which competes in a low-ish volume market, there are relatively few vehicles in the pipeline. So exactly where is Mitsu getting the cash continue as a going concern without worry? Theres only so much the other Mitsu companies can offer. There needs to be some kind of White Knight player in this deal, as Renault/Carlos Ghosn was to Nissan. To this point, there isnt.

cracovian- A few notes. The Camry is selling well because it is a good car, but also because regional incentives (though varied) offer up to $1000 back or attractive financing. The Accord offers only Attractive financing, and doesnt see the degree of fleet sales that the Camry does (about 12%). Margins on Accords are enough to offset the marginal sales drop. Altima sales are up, but this is likely because of the revisions to the 2005 model, AND ALSO because of cannibalization effects on the Maxima. Check out those figures. Down by about 47% month to year earlier, and over 20% on the calendar year to date. Finally, the Impala is seeing an insane amount of fleet sales, as Dodge stopped producing its fleet favorite Intrepid months ago, has little desire to cast the 300 in the same light, and Ford has pulled back rental sales as well.

~alpha
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Mitsu sales at a glance may not be that bad but I read somewhere that nearly 50% of their sales were now attributed to fleet sales.
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    There simply is no compelling reason to buy a Mitsubishi product, which is sad for me to say because the '90 Eclipse Turbo I once steered even to this day remains one of my all-time favorite rides. I'd buy that car brand new in a second.

But, with the company in serious financial trouble and its product line running from average to mediocre, why take the risk? If you want fun and dependability in a midsize Asian, there is the Altima and the MZ6. The Galant has reasonably edgy styling and a kick butt power plant, but after that it can't quite hang with the class leaders.

The resale is going to be abysmal because, as noted above, the big rebates will be coming soon. My advice to anyone interested in a Galant would be to lease and let Mitsu worry about the resale.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Whoa, hold on a minute!
    As, I stated in my previous post, I just purchased a former rental '03 Galant this past Friday. I purchased an ES with 16,000 miles on it for $10,400.00. These former "rental vehicles" is part of what is keeping Mitsu afloat. When I see a value, I jumped on it. I think one of the reasons (there are many) that Chrysler cannot afford to bail out Mitsu anymore is because the German ownership has created a MESS AT CHRYSLER and are pouring money in to it! This one will go down in business case study....How to ruin a perfectly good car company!
    "As, I stated in my previous post, I just purchased a former rental '03 Galant this past Friday. I purchased an ES with 16,000 miles on it for $10,400.00. These former "rental vehicles" is part of what is keeping Mitsu afloat."

The only way a second hand sale would be keeping Mitsu afloat is IF the second hand sale was made through a Mitsu dealership. Did you buy your Galant (yes, quite a used value, I agree, but a stunningly unattractive new car proposition for that very reason) from a dealership?

That said, Im hard pressed to think that the ratio is 50%. Thats incredible, almost to the point of being unbelievable. Can anyone offer a citation on this?

~alpha
    Yes,
    the car was purchased from a Mitsubishi dealership, located in Southern California. If you know how to negotiate (I am in Sales myself) Southern California is the place where prices are lowest. They did lowball me on my trade. The details are as follows:
    Cash price of Vehicle $10,400.00
    Doc fee 45.00
    Smog Fee 50.00
    Sales tax 813.36
    License 137.00
    Smog Certificate 8.25
    LESS TRADE 3,000.00
    According to Edmund's, the private party price is $10.098.00. As I stated, I paid $10,400.00 at a VOLUME Mitsubishi store! I was also in a position where I paid CASH. Nothing motivates better at a car dealership than a check-made out to the dealership-and you tell them, "All I have to do is fill in a agreed upon amount!".
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    1. You said yourself that you paid $1300 more than a private party sale for a rental car - I might be missing something but how does this make a better deal???

2. Dealers DO NOT get motivated by a blank check. They'd rather have a trade-in involved (you said you got taken here too) and financing which they make a lot more money on than anything else.

But since it's all in the mind and you're happy then it's all that matters...
  • lackofdavelackofdave Member Posts: 37
    Interesting article above. thanks for posting. As someone that drives lots of cars I think Mitsubishi is doing some things well, other things a bit iffy. The outlander's stark but elegant interior and firm ride makes it one of my favorite small suvs. And the Evo..well what can be said. Everything else though?

If they can reinvigorate the Eclipse the way the concept car promises, does something to the standard Lancer so it doesn't look like a wind-up toy with no style they'll be ok. The SUVs seem solid and I see them all the time on the road. The galant is nowhere to be seen. i'm driving one this weekend so will see what i think compared to the rest. I prefer the 6 right now to everything else mainly due to style and fun to drive factor.
    42.6%, while a good 7+ points away from 50%, is UNBELIVEABLY HIGH, and Good ol' Finny seems to be wildly optimistic, given Mitsu Motors complete lack of Cash Flows.

Anon, thank you for the article. But one thing I dont understand is how come the article is dated May 07 2004, but contains items as follows: "Mitsubishi sold a record 345,111 vehicles in the United States last year. It had boldly predicted it would sell 500,000 vehicles in 2005 and 600,000 vehicles in 2007. However, it has twice reduced its volume forecast for 2003, first cutting its U.S. goal to 330,000 units in April, and then again to 300,000 units last month."

When exactly is this article from? Is it really current? 2003 sales have been recorded some time ago. I'm confused and skeptical as to the pertinence of the information presented.

~alpha
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    That article is from September of last year. It's very old news and has little to do with Mitsu's current status. Fleet sales are not that high currently, although they still account for a good portion. I haven't heard anymore bad press about huge unsold inventory levels. It will take Mitsu a few years to recover from this. They can't just magically fix their blunders rapidly. It took Hyundai years to rebuild after the problems with the Excel. They dropped as low as 35k total sales per year and were still able to hold on. I don't foresee Mitsu dropping down that low, thus why I think people are way overexaggerating this issue.
    Edmund's list the private party price as $$10,098.00
    I paid $10,400.00
    Thats $302.00 0ver the private party price.
    PLUS FEES-you would have those if you purchased from private party or dealer. The only fee you wouldn't have (at least here in California) is the $45.00 "doc fee" if you purchased from the private party. But then you would have your time involved in registering the car.
    BTW-I knew what my trade is worth-I didn't "get taken". But it was a little low. My professional career is in Industrial sales, I am a trained negotiator. I don't "get taken." Your only partially right in regards to the "blank check" statement I made. If you are in a position to pay cash, the dealer worrying about you qualifying for a loan is a non-issue. I have purchased cars in the past using a conventional auto-loan. However, I have ALWAYS HAD FINANCING IN PLACE BEFORE GOING ANYWHERE A DEALER. Having it any other way is like having the coyote watching the hen house! Special manufacturer financing rates of course is something different!
    Thank you for the clarification with respect to the outdated article. However, I do think you remain a bit optimistic. Sales dont tell the whole story. Theres a lot of problems that Mitsu has structurally, with cash flow, and with strategic focus. It will be interesting to see when/if Mitsu emerges. Also, do you know what percentage of Mitsu sales are fleet at current? I see lots of Lancers on rental lots.

~alpha
    You need to stop being so negative. Let the poor guy enjoy his new car! Plus, I think you need to reread that article pertaining to Chrysler. It simply says Chrysler has decided not to pump additional cash into Mitsu. They are not completely pulling all ties. They are continuing to hold their 37% ownership and are continuing to do joint venture developments such as the new global four cylinder currently in the design phase and even sharing platforms (the next Neon is to be based on the Lancer platform). So saying Chrysler is bailing out would be a large exaggeration.
    I'm optimistic because I'm pretty confident this can be worked out. Car companies run through rough spots all the time and if the proper plan is put into motion, they can pull out of trouble given a few years. Nissan and Mazda were bleeding money for years before they finally got their acts together. Mitsubishi has only had one bad year so far, thus why I think its so premature with people claiming the end is very near.

Some pessimistic people love to jump on the bandwagon of failure and actually end up spreading fear and panic that leads to the failure that could have been avoided if everyone just stayed calm.
    "Nissan and Mazda were bleeding money for years before they finally got their acts together. Mitsubishi has only had one bad year so far, thus why I think its so premature with people claiming the end is very near."

There are very big differences between the Mitsu case and that of Nissan and Mazda. Primarily, the inflow of cash and strong, decisive management from the intervention of another automotive company. At this point, the other automotive company (DCX) is heavily loosening ties from Mitsu in so far as clearly NOT providing any cash support. It doesnt necessarily take many years to ruin a company. Conversely, narrow losses in consecutive years doesnt necessarily meant the company is destined for failure. But the prospects for Mitsubishi at this point seem grim, due to heavy kieritsu issues as well as a distinct lack of competitive product in the emerging and current markets.

"Some pessimistic people love to jump on the bandwagon of failure and actually end up spreading fear and panic that leads to the failure that could have been avoided if everyone just stayed calm"

Sorry buddy, but companies seal their own fate, profits and losses are generated internally, and the market simply reacts to such issues. This is not a Firestone Tire/Ford Explorer type of unusual circumstance. This is an example of an automotive manufacturer that has rested on its laurels, been steeped in tradition, misjudged its core markets.. for too long.

I wish good luck to MM, its going to be needed.

~alpha
    I'm optimistic because I'm pretty confident this can be worked out. Car companies run through rough spots all the time and if the proper plan is put into motion, they can pull out of trouble given a few years. Nissan and Mazda were bleeding money for years before they finally got their acts together. Mitsubishi has only had one bad year so far, thus why I think its so premature with people claiming the end is very near.

Some pessimistic people love to jump on the bandwagon of failure and actually end up spreading fear and panic that leads to the failure that could have been avoided if everyone just stayed calm.
  • noleasegalantnoleasegalant Member Posts: 37
    Who said I'm being negative?!?..I'm just stating the facts. How long do you think it will take until Chrysler realizes that Mitsu will have to stand on their own two feet to get out of this mess. And READ MY MESSAGES people before you jump to conclusions! If you read my postings I think I was fair about my observations on the '04 Galant. Overall a good car, but a healthy notch or two below the competition (Honda, Acura, Toyota). I also disagree about the problems at Mitsu are a result of short term problems. Look back at the early '90's. Previous owners I know complained about almost the same problems/defects back then that people are complaining about now!!
    I don't know about your state but in GA you don't pay tax ($813) on private party sales... (???)
    I said your being negative. Look at your comment to the new owner of an 03 Galant. You told him in a year his car won't be worth a pot to piss in. To be blunt, that's rude and negative. You could have left that comment out of your post. If you don't like Mitsu, that's fine, but you don't need to rain on another owner's parade.

As for the early 90s, I'd love to hear what sort of common problems you think Mitsu has based on other people's experiences rather then your own. The only common issue I know of is brake rotor warpage, which is common on many different cars. In the early 90s, Mitsu was financially healthy so saying their problems are long term would be incorrect. They did not have financial troubles until the year 2003. The whole reason Mitsu is having problems currently is due to a marketing mistake. They lost millions of dollars through bad loans given to people who were too much of a credit risk. It's not because they make a bad car and lost money through warranty repairs.
    Are you sure about that? The DMV in Florida charges you sales tax on the sale price disclosed on the title. You can lie and get away with it to a certain extent but I would be very surprised to hear Georgia does not tax a vehicle bought from a private party.
    Every Mitsubishi I've owned has always been extremely easy to service. Oil changes are a snap because they often locate the oil filter at the very front of the vehicle, they don't restrict access with annoying plastic shrouds, and sometimes the car doesn't even need to be jacked up. I was able to take the timing belt cover off of my Expo in less then 5 minutes so I could inspect the belt's condition. Everything is just so easy to get to and logical in its placement. Mitsu cars are very well designed in this regard. Honda and Toyota, on the other hand, can often be a nightmare.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We're getting pretty far afield of our topic, which is specifically the Galant.

Some of you might want to look for an appropriate discussion on our News & Views board to continue this debate.

Thanks.
    Yes, you do pay sales tax on a used car. It doesn't matter if it's purchased at a dealer or private party. They ask you how much you paid for it(if you purchase private party), and charge you the tax on that amount. If you stretch the truth too much-they will send a notice to the seller asking him/her how much they sold the car for. Then they will come after you for the additional tax, maybe penalties too, I don't know. This is a pet peeve of mine. How many things (personal property) are taxed over and over until the end of their useful life???!!!
  • richg4richg4 Member Posts: 3
    Im the very proud owner of a 2003 Mitsu Galant GTZ. I traded in my 1995 Mitsu Eclipse GSX with 180,000 trouble free miles on my new Galant in October of 03. I decided to buy the previous generation Galant over the new model because I prefer the look of the older model to the some what strange new one. I don't pretend that I drive a Camry Crusher. I know that my Galant will be worth peanuts in 5 years compared to the Toyota. What my Mitsu does much better is gives me all the features and reliability of a Honda or Toyota for about $5k to $10k less at time of purchase. It makes me a little sad inside to see Mitsu struggle with the cash flow. I know they build a wonderful vehicle. The problem is Mitsu spent the 90's pumping up the Eclipse and that was it. So when the late 90's and Y2K hit all those Eclipse buyers had wifes and kids and had to go elsewhere because Mitsu didn't secure the back door and develop new competitive products to keep those people in their portfolio. Bad business yes bad car hell no.
  • portknoxxaportknoxxa Member Posts: 69
    7,908 miles later and my GTS still impresses me. The '04 Galant is a great car even w/o fold down rear seats or nav as an option. Just took it in for my 2nd scheduled service at 7,500 miles and no problems to report. The best thing about owning a car that not to many people are buying is that the service dept. is not crowded with 20+ cars waiting to be serviced. I owned three hyundais' and there was always 20+ cars lined up for service at 7am. Again to all I am not concerned with resale value or how many Galants are sold, I'm only concerned with how happy I am with the car and how fun it is to drive the GTS, even if I did pay $239.9 for 93 yesterday? I can't talk crap about an Accord,Camry,Altima,6 because I've never owned any of those cars, but I can sing the praises for the GTS after 4 months of ownership. Maybe some of us should not bash cars that we have never owned.
    The first car I bought from someone else was in 1992 and I had to pay tax based on that transaction's amount. The next year they sent it back to me since the state gov't lost the case in court and we haven't had to pay tax on private party purchases ever since.

When you think about it doesn't make any sense to pay tax on private party transactions (people are not businesses) and it's illegal in GA, thank goodness...
    Must be nice! Living in the capital of Florida (where average yearly income is a low $28k), I get slammed with a 7.5% tax rate on all sales. Very rich Palm Beach County pays only 6% in taxes. Tell me if that makes any sense! At least we don't pay state income tax like you Georgians :)
  • lackofdavelackofdave Member Posts: 37
    Way off topic with sales tax & not the Galant but Palm Beach County probably makes more money off tourist taxes (at hotels etc) than Tally does. Also there are many very poor parts of PB County. PB island and boca raton are just a few parts of a very large county.
    It's starting to get hot again folks. Let's see if Mitsu hits everyone with the usual cash incentives on the Galant. I also notice in everyone's postings that people have been buying the GTZ, or GTS which is the top trim. What, no ES, or LS, or even LS V6's? I'll say it until the cows come home--if the Galant is doing what it's suppose to--LIKE SELLING ENOUGH CARS SO THAT THEY WON'T NEED ANOTHER COMPANY TO SAVE THEM--then Mitsu won't need the high incentives ($2-$3-$4,000). Just to be fair they should push the Eclipse which is an excellent car. I was also sad to hear that the Montero Sport's run has ended. But until the Galant starts bringing in the $$$$$$$, Mitsu will continue to be in trouble in the U.S.
  • 03honda03honda Member Posts: 96
    Hi, I'm considering purchasing a 2000 LS V6, however, Consumer Reports mentions something about premium, but they don't say if it's recommended for maximum power/fuel economy results or if it's required. Can any owners shed some light? Thanks in advance!
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    In theory it's 'required'. But I occasionally run midgrade or even just 87 octane in my 99LS V6 and have noted no issues. I think I get maybe 0.5 MPG less and just a hair less power, just barely noticeable, using regular vs. premium.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    You can use 87-89 octane with no ill effects on the Galant V6. It might produce a few less horsepower and drop mileage by .5 mpg but otherwise the engine will run fine on it. My 03 Diamante recommends premium, but I always use 89. My car is rated at 17 mpg in the city and I'm consistently averaging between 19-21 in 100% stop and go. So I haven't seen any problems with using lower grade gas.
    I personally would only use the gas reccomended in the manual only because of warranty issues that may occur. You would not want to have any problems with the car only for the dealer to say "well you used gas less than 91." So just be careful if you do use 87 or 89. The performance is secondary when you are put in a position where you are paying at least $2.39/gal. Here on Long Island, NY I've seen 91/93 for $2.52/gal. I've been avg. $2.35/gal. I am not going use anything less than 91. I purchased my GTS for the performance and why do anything to lessen it.
    In addition to my '03 ES Galant I just purchased, I have an 2001 Mazda 626 ES V/6. There is a sticker right on the fuel door stating "premium reccomended." I have own this car since almost new(purchased with 5K on it) and have always used 87 octane because the owners manual also says that is can be used with "some decrease in performance." The car now has 64K (I am in sales and do ALOT of driving) on it with no problems (other than radiator replacement) and will be handed down to teenage son. If it says you can use 87 octane it will NOT HARM YOUR MOTOR.
    Thanks...this car will be my son's, so fuel prices have to be taken into account!
    I ran into one of the people I met at the Mitsu dealership in Philly while in AC and he told me that the reason he had his '04 LS in was intermittent noises coming from the back of the car. Mitsu replaced the muffler and he states he has been in LA LA land since. What about you GTS lovers?? Any problems? I'm not holding my breath that someone will step up and be honest......
    I'm up to 8200 miles and two scheduled services and I have no problems with my GTS. The only problems to report is that my chrome tipped exhaust needs a good cleaning, and I do not have that new car smell anymore! Other than that I am good to go.
    That's good news, at least you stepped up. I guess the '04's I saw at the dealer for repairs had the Philly fever. BTW, portknoxxa when your GTS gets to 10,000 miles I want to be the first to put in my bid for your car--$5,000 and a free shopping spree at TJ Maxx--if its even worth that much................
    An '03 LS Galant is worth $11,130.00 (trade -in)per kbb.com w/10,000 miles on it. Even Daewoos values initially dropped then rose again after the bankruptcy was announced. And Mitsubishi isn't going anywhere any time soon!
    Mitsu should be pushing the Eclipse more and they SHOULD NOT discontinue the Montero Sport. I feel that the "great minds" over there are missing the boat BIG TIME on these models. BTW Chuck1, how is YOUR Galant holding up????????
    I may have mentioned it was an ex-rental out of Las Vegas. I got it home and noticed the "foot rest" for the left foot was missing. Also, after two weeks and 1,000 miles (remember I am in sales and do ALOT of driving)the rear tire starting humming and I noticed it was "cupped" on the inside. A careful inspection of the rear suspension noted no-problems. It was a bad job of rotation and rebalance by Hertz. So the dealer replaced the footrest and purchased a new Bridgestone tire. All problems fixed under warranty. And I may note that the dealer from a technical standpoint did not have to replace the tire. I am on the road again and will keep you updated!
    And why should they not discontinue the Montero Sport? This truck has been around too long as it is. It's way outdated and the Endeavor has effectively replaced it. There is no need for 2 midsize SUVs, especially when Mitsu needs to concentrate on saving money. Mitsu is about to redesign the Eclipse so you should see them putting some new interest in this car.

Again, I must say your obnoxious tone is not needed in this forum. Maybe those 04's you saw at the dealer were waiting for an oil change or tire rotation. You can't infer they are their for major problems.
    Please go back and read my postings before labeling them "obnoxious". The people at the dealership DID HAVE THEIR CARS IN FOR WARRANTY WORK BECAUSE I ASKED THEM..... I would not post or write anything that was not true. You guys are taking this stuff so serious it's scary. My experience with Mistu was not a good one; yours has been and God bless ya. But I will continue to tell it like it until EDMUNDS tells me otherwise.....................
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Well, we are here to share our experiences, thoughts and opinions about cars - not each other. Let's not turn this into a debate about personalities.

And let's also try to stick to the Galant since that is indeed the topic here...
    Obviously when your at a car dealer you are looking at all the cars they have out of curiosity. The Montero Sport is a nice little truck that all it needed was an overhaul or just to be freshened up a little. The interior was very bland and outdated almost early 90's. The exterior did not look that bad (this was an '04 or '03). But you have the Outlander and the Endeavor, and they seemed to knock the 'Sport out. The Outlander definitely caught my attention, but the only draw back was the lack of a V6 which i had to have. It would have been a little more practical for me because of the utility, but I had 99.9% made up my mind that the GTS was all me. I'm not a huge SUV/SAV fan, I prefer family-midsize sedans that have good performance. P.S. the Endeavor is a solid SUV. It seems that consumers want car based SUV's. If I'm not mistaken the Montero Sport is all truck and does not get it's platform from a car? So the Montero Sport should go. Hey nolease 1st Roy Jones get knocked out and you and I agree on something, what in the hell is going on??
    Kudos to you sir. I will be the 1st to admit I forgot all about the Endeavor; it was my Aunt's second choice if she did not get the Montero she wanted. The Endeavor is very practical and Mitsu seemed to get this one right..........
  • budmantombudmantom Member Posts: 33
    This one is loaded with leather and sunroof and only 28k miles and at $11K the price seems right.

My question is has Mitsubishi resolved the smoking problem and are there any nagging problems with this model?

Thanks,

Tom
    To my knowledge, there is no smoking problem with this V6. Mitsu had weak valve guide seals on the 3.0 SOHC 12 valve motor, but the 3.0 SOHC 24 valve engine has a new head design that eliminated the problem. The only thing I would look out for is warped front rotors. The 99 models seemed to have more problems with this. Otherwise, it should be a reliable long lasting car.