Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• budmantombudmantom Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for your help.

Tom
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Tom, my 99 LS has 88K miles and has had very few issues. You can scan this thread for my posts to see my history.

I still love it and plan on keeping it for a few more years.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    From the car connection.....
    "Mitsubishi finally found it's white knight... but the price for saving the money-losing Japanese automaker is step, as the 11,000 of the company's employees will lose their job in the impending restructuring......"one of the company's top executives described the bail out as the "last chance" by the company, which is mired in more than $9 billion in debt, after it posted its second largest loss on record during the fiscal year that ended March 31st.....
    "This is the last chance for Mitsubishi Motors to survive as an automaker," said Yoichiro Okazaki, the carmakers chairman and Chief executive officier at a press conference in Tokyo. "This will be the last funding for Mitsubishi Motors from the Mitsubishi group," Kazuo Tsukuda, president of Mitsubishi Heavy, (equipment) told shareholders at a press conference after the car makers revival plan was presented. The Mitsubishi group, one of Japan's largest and oldest business networks which includes companies in a wide variety of sectors, put up roughly three-quarters of the more than $4 billion needed to help Mitsubishi Motors restructure."

I personally hope that they take the actions needed to save the company. A redesign of the exterior of the new Galant is needed imediately. The Eclipse needs to be redone as well. And how about a crossover vehicle???
  • hwahwahwahwa Member Posts: 25
    Okay,over the weekend i took my 1997 gallant es for tuneup and they made me wait 5 hours.
    My gallant is maroon color,69k miles and dirty inside and blemishes outside,but mind you,it runs well with 4 new tires,strong airconditioning,also i bot it from the dealer/
    I saw a 2003 floor model blue es sitting in the lot and here is their offer-
    14812 with trade in (they said they are giving me 2k for my car),14812 is the grandtotal including taz,license and 4k rebates.
    Now is this an insult or what??
    soon 2005 models will be in the showroom??
    let me hear from you guys!
    I counter offered 8k,they called me back and said their new number is close.
    i have not called back yet,i am in no hurry.
    In Southern California I just purchased the above vehicle with 16,900 miles on it for $10,400.00 plus fees. You would be wise to check out Edmunds True Value. If the car is BRAND NEW the price you offered is too low. Good luck!
    i made my 8k offer based on the works i did on Edmunds.com.
    I input the car as a used model with 500 miles,clean condition(as it is 18 months old sitting on the lot and being test driven).the system spits out the following-
    dealer retail price -11,709
    adjusted for region and color 732,tax and license 176,rebate 4000,so the net is 8617.
    take tradin of 2k,now the net is 6617.
    okay,opinion may differ,but this is not a new new car anymore.
    See i would like to know how do you appraise floor model which is past year model and driven around by customers and sitting on an open lot>>
    (the color is blue,i am in houston)
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    In order to get rebates, the car has to be new and never titled. This sounds like the case, so you can't consider the car a used car just because it has 500 test drive miles on it and has sat on the lot so long. I do believe their initial offer is too high unless you still owe money on the 97 Galant. Your counter offer is way too low. $12.5-13k would probably be a fair price for this car.
    thanks,i will call the salesman and hear what the new offer is.
    true,the 2003 floor model is never titled and is new,not used.
    But i got the numbers from edmunds.com-used car pricing and it spitted out the 4k rebates,so edmunds seems to know this car with low mileage and clean deserves a rebate of 4k.
    i just talked to the salesman,last call,he said,the final price is 14812(includes tradein,rebates and tax and license).
    just thought you guys want to know.
    Mileage on that car is under 1000 miles
    I don't know what state your in, but if you deduct 10% (fees) from the above price-that leaves $13,330.80. That's for a brand new car! However, it sounds like the dealer you are talking with, isn't motivated. So, you can always wait to the end of the month to see if you can get it cheaper. Of course, you risk someone else buying it. I don't see how you could get this car for under 12K! But keep us informed!
    the day i looked at the car,it was actually sold 1/2 hour to a couple who never come back to do the paperwork.
    so it is possible they came back and completed the deal.
    anyway ,the salesman lowered the price to 14000 round number.
    what i dont understand is that when i plug all that data into edmund.com used car pricing,it said 11709 base and then it knows there is a 4k rebate.so edmund is pricing it as a new car with rebate.
    I think edmunds is right,you cannot call a 2003 car a new car.
    They have another one -2003 floor model but it is an LS and is black,anyone in houston??go take a look,they want more money,4k rebate apply to that one too.
    THE ISSUE HERE IS -IS THIS A NEW CAR ?? IS A 2003 FLOOR MODEL A NEW CAR ,THIS IS JUNE 2004.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    that the term "new" describes not the model year of the car, but the vehicle usage. If ownership has never passed from the dealer to a loan-issuing body, or a consumer (whether it be end user, rental agency, a dealership as a demo vehicle), and theres less than a specified amount of miles, I'm pretty sure it can be called a "new" vehicle. MY doesnt matter. A 2003 MY car thats been sitting in dealer inventory without having the plastic off its seats is most certainly a new vehicle.

~alpha
    If the dealer doesn't want to take your offer, it's doesn't matter if it's new, used, poka dot, it doesn't matter. If you want a different Galant, ther are literally TONS OF THEM on the used car market. These are former rental cars. This is what I purchased. So here are your options:
    1)Wait out the "new '03" until later in the month
    2) Buy a slightly used one
    3) Keep what you have
    Let us know what you decide.
    Please remember, Edmunds, Kelley Blue Book, NADA used car guides are all just that -guides.
    If the dealer purchased this car new-he in all likelihood has more in it than your offer. Here in Southern California they are "asking" 13K for '03 former rentals. You have to be crazy to pay that-but this is what they "ask".
    i am still confused?
    if 14k is the best dealer can do with tradein of 2k and rebate of 4k on a 2003 floor model,how many people want a 2003 model if they can spring 14k??
    why not go for 2004,soon 2005 models will arrive and those 2004 models will have rebates too??
    dont forget the minute you drive the new car off the dealer lot,it lost some of its value.
    if i bot the car now,in 5 months,2005 model will arrive and people will look at my car as an 2 years old used car even though i may not have more than 1000 miles .
    i have always been under the impression mitsubishi car prices are better than hyundai prices,but they are not firm.
    The previous generation Galant sold much better than the current new, redesign. I have read in the current issue of Motor Trend that the new Galant sales are off like 56% or so. The lowest I have seen '04 advertised for in So. Cal is $14,995.00 (inc. loyalty, factory rebate, etc.) for the "DE" model. So there you go-personally, I would rather have an '03 for slightly less than the UGLY '04. That dealer is hoping they can sell that "new" '03 to somebody who feels the same way I do! The used '03 models are selling well. I am sure that the price one can buy it for has something to do with it!!
    chuck,
    this is the first time i hear someone prefer an '03 over an '04 gallant.
    i think sales has dropped is due to -less advertising,remember the '000 ' program they blasted us with.
    due to too many repossesssed mitsubishi flooding the used car market due to past '000' program.
    the bad publicity surrounding mitsubishi company.
    and i suspect some mitsu owners have moved on to honda or toyota.
    I for one,will be considering a Honda once this old '97 gallant of mine conks out.
    Dealers are crooks,the one i dealt with lie and lie,he thinks it is funny but it is not.
    I would take the DESIGN of the '03 over the exterior of the '04. I am sorry, but I think the '04 is one ugly car. My ideal car....put the '03 body on the '04 chassis...what a car!!!
    wonder what mitsubishi owners buy when they decide to switch??
    So you don't want to buy a Mitsu now because one dealer wouldn't give you a great deal on a leftover 03 model? Try another dealer if you like the car. I wouldn't switch companies just because of a bad dealer.
    i dont really need a new car right now,my 97 gallant just got tuned.
    But when the price gets up there in the 18k plus range,one cannot help but look at other company models!!
    The thing is that in Southern California you can get a Camry LE for a little less than 18K. It's hard to get an Accord LX for that price. So-if you want to stay in the same class of car...it pretty much leaves the Korean Brands, or the Chevrolet Malibu (base 4cyl) or for Taurus.
    you can get a Honda civic for under 18k,but then it is not a Honda accord.
    what is the problem with my car,if i keep it in my garage for days,i have problem starting the car.
    after a few turns,the airconditioning and radio will be on ,but not the engine.
    after a few more tries,then the engine will turn over.
    The dealer service dept cant duplicate the problem,they think it is the starter.
    since they cant find the problem,they suggest a tuneup so they can earn their pay.
    if the problem is the starter,wont that be just click and click and go nowhere??so far it will start after few tries.
    any insight is appreciated.
    may be i should buy that 2003 floor model???
    Carsdirect.com is showing Accord LX 5As in the 17s in my zip code (specifically $17,682), is it that much different where ya'll are? Thats not even the absurd "one-only" blowout pricing frequently seen in the Sunday paper, for example. FWIW, Camry LEs are similar ($17,971-includes ABS- and after the $1000 regional rebate on carsdirect.com).

~alpha
  • ensoccer589ensoccer589 Member Posts: 26
    The base galants need nicer wheels!!! Wheels make or break a car. Look what they did for the Taurus :) and look what they are doing for the base Accord :(
  • 03honda03honda Member Posts: 96
    Hi, does anyone know where the air purifier filter (for the A/C) is located on a 2000 Galant LS? Thanks a lot!
  • cb_near_lacb_near_la Member Posts: 3
    It's located behind the glove box. Remove the glove box, and you should see where it is.
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    They arrested Mitsu's former prez and other officials today since they knowingly neglected some major auto defects (though mainly in Japan.)

But could 2004 Galant's airbags be next? I'd say there should have been sufficient force to cause this kind of damage from both ends AND deploy the airbags but they obviously didn't...

The person survived BTW.

Check out the pix here:
    http://www.justmojazz.photosite.com/album2/Chapter1/
    There is no way to judge from pictures whether or not the airbags should have inflated. If that damage occured over a spread out period of time, it may not have been sufficient force to result in inflation. Airbags arent supposed to inflate all the time, this is one of the factors contributing to the problems with the airbags first intro-ed in the early 90s.

Without significant evidence linking corporate corruption to safety concerns, Id say you should probably stop propogating unconfirmed information. No need to unnecessarily alarm people.

~alpha
  • apateleapatele Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2003 Galant from CarMax just over a month ago. It was a rush decision, owning a Mitsubishi was the furthest thing from my mind, but I did a test drive and the drive felt familiar( I had another Japanese car before). Even though I have no problems with the car so far, save for an infrequent vibration from the front end, I am DEEPLY alarmed about the recent problems at Mitsubishi Motors, the financial problems, AND the quality problems which I knew very little about when I first made my purchase. I'm concerned that if the company goes bellyup the car will lose most of its value and I wont be able to sell it. I wish I had done more research, but like I said, I wanted to get in and out of the dealer the same day, so I made a rush decision. Has anyone had any quality problems with their Mitsubishi and if Mitsubshi folded would'nt this crash the value of Mitsubishi cars ? I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about going car shopping again.
    First off, you should have done more research. Mitsu's problems have been going on for a long time. The Galant has a real bad resale value anyway. If you keep your cars until they are fully depreciated;what concerns should you have for resale value? As far as parts are concerned, the parts you will need such as waterpump, timing belt, etc. are all made by 3rd party companies and should be no problem to get. And what quality issues are you talking about? I just purchased an '03 Galant ES (used) a month ago and have put 4,000 miles on it with no issues. It now has 20K on it.
  • noleasegalantnoleasegalant Member Posts: 37
    Chuck1 and I are in agreement,, always take some time and do some research before making a $10 or $15,000 decision. I hope your '03 had some miles under the warranty when you bought it--that should sooth the sound of all that $$$$$ that will have to come out of your pocket if it IS NOT. BTW, did CARMAX give you a history report on your '03 to see how many owners had the car before you did?? As for the other problems at Mistu, it's business as usual with the poor quality issues--and they will continue to have them until someone with half a brain takes over--I mean come on--how long has this been going on 5,10,,,15 years!!!!
  • gkearns56gkearns56 Member Posts: 49
    Hey Chuck1:

As a previous 1989 Galant owner I couldn't agree with you more on your assessment of the '04 Galant. There is too much plastic on the inside; one must step up to to high-end model to eliminate that. It is ugly. I don't see this as a type of car in a parking lot/garage that I turn around to look at its beauty.

Many important facets go into marketing a car successfully. Some people say reliability, resale value, how much does the car depreciate, what extra comfort features are included. What is the market segment Mitsu trying to reach.

Mitsu has failed badly with that ugly front & rear end. It not enough to put a car out on the market; ANY car company can do that. You must continue to raise the bar not only in quality but the options offered to demanding consumers. Recently, Mitsu had numerous quality control problems and has been trying to cover up "recall" issues on their cars. This was evident in USA today and the CEO resigning over this. He admitted to this. This doesn't leave a sense of a high quality car brand; Nor does the poor depreciation & low resale value on their cars. They have no direction on marketing their cars and who to appeal to. The minor difference in vrooooommm (HP) is also not enough to make me want to buy a Galant over say a Honda, Toyota, Nissan. According to J.D. Powers even Hyundai's quality has risen so much that on some vehicles, they have surpassed a couple of Toyota cars. Build higher quality cars, ensure good resale, nice exterior designs with clean interiors and I might come back.
    I purchased my '03 ES Galant for $10,400-plus fees. IT had 16,900 miles on it. I purchased it knowing full well what is going on with Mitsubishi. I knew I couldn't touch a used Accord or Camry for this price. I have the dark Grey and just purchased some Koning wheels for it and it looks VERY SHARP. I am in sales and will drive it for about two years before giving it to my teenage son. I test drove the new '04 Galant, and contrary to other reviews, found the four cylinder a very smooth motor. But Mitsu didn't raise the bar high enough. While the new Accord and Camry are both nothing to look at, the Galant makes one NOT TO LOOK AT IT AT ALL!! What were the designers thinking? Did someone say this thing looks good? Unbelievable!!! However, I think Mitsu has about two years left in it's current form. If they go out of business, I might buy a new Galant if the price is right. If the car is at a "fire sale price," I can put up with it's looks!!
    mitsubishi cars always have low resale value,thanks to their zero zero zero programs.
    if you just drive and drive it till you cant drive it no more,what do you care about resale value.
    i have a 97 mitsu gallant es with 69,000 miles and it runs fine after a recent tuneup,i dont care for the color and the inside is dirty,but thats life!!
    i will hold on to it for 1-2 more years and then get a new car,it wont be a mitsubishi,i will be either a hyundai or toyota or a honda.
    I would rather pay more for a new car with a higher resale value than a new car with NO resale value.
    I have some questions for the 02-03 Galant owners in here. I'm considering looking into a used ES with between 12-17k. I was just curious on some of the minor details. Like, do the ES models have a lit ignition and glovebox and are there map lights separate from the center dome light? Are the fog lamps standard on the ES? How's the standard 140 watt stereo sound and are there 4 or 6 speakers? How comfortable is the driver's seat and is it adjustable enough? What fuel economy are you guys averaging in the city and highway? Do you find the ride comfortable yet firm enough to be a little sporty? Is the car quiet on the highway? Thanks for any info you can provide.
    I was just curious on some of the minor details. Like, do the ES models have a lit ignition and glovebox and are there map lights separate from the center dome light?

ANS: The ignition is lighted, however, I do not believe the glovebox is. The map lights have a separate switch in front. They are kinda cheap in my view.

Are the fog lamps standard on the ES?
    ANS: YES

How's the standard 140 watt stereo sound and are there 4 or 6 speakers?
    ANS: The radio has 4 speakers. It is not a great radio.

How comfortable is the driver's seat and is it adjustable enough?
    ANS: The drivers seat is OK. I had better, and worse. It does adjust.

What fuel economy are you guys averaging in the city and highway?
    ANS: I am in sales and do alot of driving. The car averages between 21 and 25mpg depending on the hwy./city mix.

Do you find the ride comfortable yet firm enough to be a little sporty? Is the car quiet on the highway?

ANS: The car is VERY QUIET on the highway. It's not a sports car. The ride is definitely tuned towards comfort. There is alot of "aftermarket parts" for these cars. If you want to spend a $1,000.00 dollars you can get it to handle better!

You may want to check out the OWNERS REVIEWS on the MSN auto site for the 2002 & 2003 model year.
    Please note that there are few problems with the 03's.

I have 20K on mine with no issues......
    Dude, you buy cars like most women I know buy shoes. Impressive! Good luck with your Galant purchase! (Personally, why not try to find a snazzy 03 or 04 GTZ? Those models had very sharp styling, and the much smoother (and strong) 195 hp V6. I always felt this was one of the auto industry's most underrated engines)

~alpha
    LOL. I thought I was done looking at cars for a long while but now I'm considering trying to reduce my monthly payments and insurance. The only way to do that would be to buy a car thats either cheaper then the trade in value of my Tiburon or one that has high rebates and good interest rates. Used 03 Galants are pretty cheap and still nice enough cars. However, my local Mitsu dealer has a brand new 03 Galant LS in light blue with $4k worth of rebates that would make more sense then a used one. It's well equipped with power sunroof, alloy wheels, 7 speaker Infinity stereo, ABS, and side airbags. But it just looks so plain compared to my Tiburon that I don't think I would be happy with it. So now I might consider trading in the Tiburon and the Expo on an 04 Outlander XLS. We'll see though. I may end up doing nothing.

Chuck1, thanks for the info!
  • noleasegalantnoleasegalant Member Posts: 37
    JD Power and Associates released the goods this year for vehicle reliability and AGAIN Mitsu is doing shall we say...NOT SO HOT.. I can't understand it - Japanese company that should have the resources to build something that is worth ANYTHING, but they continue to mess things up. You know what, I'll take over at Mitsu. Maybe then their cars won't drop $8,000 the second you drive it off the lot!!
    BTW, guess who was number 1???????
    so what is the price of the 03 gallant with 4k rebates.
    read prior threads,i was offered an 03 ES gallant (blue) floor model-
    after trade in of my 97 gallant ES (which they value at 1500-2000)
    a 4k rebate
    everything included which means tax,fee etc
    a GRAND TOTAL OF 14K
    and i turned it down.
    Now i cant start my 97 gallant,what is wrong??
    the dealer mechanic cant find the problem??
  • ultratechultratech Member Posts: 142
    I wouldn't even worry even if Mitsu goes bankrupt or whatever ... look at all those companies that are struggling ....
    At the worst, they'll be bought out by someone else.

-----------------------

www.TheGalantCenter.net
  • dennis3dennis3 Member Posts: 4
    i have a 2001 galant es with prem package 7 months left on lease. good on mileage and wear but will need tires before the end. dealer is willing to buy that car $8200 their cost..mine $12000 at this time. get me out of that car seven months early and into a 04 gts with cold package, $23,760 out the door everything included tax, etc.including $3000 in rebates... does this sound like a good deal?
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    If I am understanding you correctly you are almost $4000 upside down in your current Galant. If that is the case then it seems like you are gettig a pretty good deal. What is the selling price of the new car?
    what is that saying-once you start leasing your car,you will lease forever.
    i hope you are not close to retirement,what should soon to be retirees do with their leased car??
  • 4bagger4bagger Member Posts: 3
    I'm still a little confused. Was Dennis3's true out the door cost $19,960 ($23760 - $3800)? Based on his description, did he essentially owe $3800 on his '01? Also, I live in a townhouse w/o a garage in VA, should I have any concerns over certain colors wearing more than others over, say 4 years? Assuming I'm not particular about color, is white or grey a better bet than black or blue?
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    If the car is stored outsie I would stay away from black and red as they seem to require the most car to keep looking good. White or silver-ish seems to be the better choice for you. They don't need to be washed as often and they hide scratches better.
    What is an '04 GTS??
    if i understand what you said,you have an '01 gallant es with 7 months to go and 12,000 worth of payments to make??and the dealer is going to buy it at 8200 and for that ,you will take over a '04 GTS for 23,760(everything included).
    so 23,760= 8200 (your car)+ new car +tax + fee.
    In my case,i was offered the following-
    14,000 = 2000 (my 97 ES) + 2003 FLOOR MODEL ES + TAX+ FEE.
    THE 2003 model also has a 4k rebates.
    I know in my case,the dealer would just sent my car to the auction.
    In your case,they will sell yours for 10-12k.
    wait,your new car would cost you -your old car plus 23,760??
    how much is your old car worth??
    Some good news to potential Galant owners. All Mitsus sold after July 1 include a 5yr/60k mile bumper to bumper warranty as well as 3yr/45k mile free scheduled maintenance! Mitsu's value qoutient just jumped a few dergees. This might help rebuild people's confidence in their quality.
  • mitubishiproudmitubishiproud Member Posts: 1
    Mitusbishi is in Love with the American Consumer, And will do all that it takes to provide world class quality for customer satisfaction. The Warranty speaks for itself, give us another try please for a USA Made Vehicle with the UAW Quality Label Behind It. Built in Normal ILLINOIS The Same Place State Farm Insurance was Founded and has Corporate offices located