Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    You can tell if your Galant has the Infiniti speakers by looking for a speaker mounted right in the center of the dash, directly above the stereo. If it has this, it has the Infiniti sound system. If it doesn't, you have the basic factory stereo system.
    1. You still have the remainder of the 5 year/60k powertrain warranty.

2. No real problems mechanically with the Galant, although the front brake rotors do tend to warp easily if the lug nuts are put on too tight. You might want to consider having the tranny fluid flushed by the dealer if you are unsure whether it was done at 30k. Mitsu auto trannies require Mitsu fluid, so don't just take it to Jiffy Lube and let them put any old fluid in there. If the fluid is changed at 30k intervals, you can expect long life out of it. Otherwise, it will start slipping around 100k.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A writer with a national magazine is writing an article on 8 cars that are under $20K for families on a budget or as a 2nd or 3rd car. He is looking for parents with young children who have recently purchased or are planning to purchase any one of the following vehicles: VW Jetta the new “Value Edition”, Chevy Cobalt (with SAB), Mitsubishi Galant, Toyota Matrix, Pontiac Vibe, Ford Focus Wagon, Honda Element, Kia Sorento or Dodge Caravan. The writer would like to know if they like it, dislike it, what are the family-style features and what kind of deal did you get on the car? If you fit what the writer is looking for, please email your responses to kholguin@edmunds.com by May 13, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

If you find the answer to this, please post it here and let me know. My car is an 04 Lancer Sportback, but it also has the annoying seatbelt beeper. I'm mainly concerned about whether the beeper unit is the same one used for the key-in-ignition and lights-on reminder. I don't want to mess with it if it serves these other purposes, but if it doesn't, I want to rip it out!
  • westonchickwestonchick Member Posts: 3
    Oh my god! thank you soooo much! i really appreciate it. my first thought was that somehow i would have to take the door panel off! ~michelle
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Why not just wear your seatbelt?

If you refuse, someone over in the Accord room said their uncle got the piece you insert into the buckle from a junkyard and puts it in when he doesn't want to wear his seatbelt. I don't recommend this as I think everyone should always wear their seatbelt. They save lives.
    I do actually wear my seatbelt almost religiously. I had changed jobs recently and was required to use my car for work. Three of my stops were a piddling 1/2 mile from my job in a downtown area where speeds rarely exceed 25, so the seatbelt kinda got in the way more then anything and the beeper was just plain annoying. However, my job relocated and that stop has turned into 1.5 miles on busier and faster roads so now I buckle up. Even so, I'd still like to know how to silence the beeper because I'm not stupid enough to forget to put the belt on and hate the fact the beeper is there.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    has the beeper. I just tune it out on the rare occasion I am without my seatbelt long enough to activate it. It's kind of annoying at times but you have to have safety warnings, beepers, etc on EVERYTHING these days to reduce the manufacturer's liability.
  • leftofcenter2leftofcenter2 Member Posts: 9
    I just leased a 2005 GTS and I LOVE IT. I traded in my 2000 Galant ES and for 5 years i have lusted over every GTZ (at that time) i saw and chided myself for not upgrading when i bought it. I finally have it!! I am sorry to boast - i know this is the only place where my exctiement is understood! I think the Toyota and Nissan sedans dont even compare. I am quite happy. I even contemplated the new mustang, it was sweet but the interior of the galant is more comfy (heated seats, sunroof). The only upgrade i can think of to make this car even more perfect is to make the adjustable steering column electric.

The Feb 2005 Consumer Reports compares the GTS to Camry & Altima, looking at the comparison charts there is not that much difference in ratings, the GTS scored equal or higher on almost all of the catagories. The GTS did not receive a recommended rating due to recommended use of higher octane gas and what they considerd a "choppy" ride which i have yet to notice. i love this lil car. If any one is thinking of getting one, i say go for it!!!
    I almost leased a GTS in March, at that time all maintanence and repairs were covered by the dealer. I waited until April to get my GTS, when i asked about the warranty i was told it was a special promotion at that time and was no longer offered.
  • westonchickwestonchick Member Posts: 3
    hey i was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of a website where you can customize any make/model car. fantastic idea ... somebody has to have thought of it by now ...
    ~michelle
  • stuckeystuckey Member Posts: 12
    Didn't get quite the deal that others talk about on this forum, but none the less feel it was a fair price. Bought last remaining green 2004 LS, w/ sunroof and diamond package for just shy of $6000 under MSRP - includes rebate, loyalty incentive and dealership discount. Traded in my 2000 ES Galant for an additional $4200. I can't believe how different these two cars are. I really enjoyed my 2000 for the 1st 60,000 miles, but it was now needing some costly repairs and I was tired of dealing with the brake issue. The 2004 is a much more substantial car in size, ride and engineering advancements. It doesn't get blown around in the wind and it seems to track a straight line much better than my 2000. I always really liked the exterior of my 2000, but the 2004 has its own unique place. Where the 2004 greatly exceeds the 2000 is in its interior - both in look and function. I've not stepped into any car (any car that I might actually be able to afford) and found the dash and remaining interior any more attractive than I find in the new Galants - of course this is only my opinion. Also, the stock stereo in the LS is incredible. What I find interesting is that I paid just about the same amount of money (w/in a $1000) for the base 2000 five years ago as I just recently paid for a loaded V6 2004. The only thing so far I liked better in the 2000's interior was the driver's seat. I might just still be adjusting to a the new seat of the 2004, but so far it hasn't completely agreed with my lower back. Unfortunately the 2004 LS didn't come standard with lumbar adjustment.

FYI: I did have fog lights, mud flaps and a chrome exhaust tip added. I can tell already that the fog lights will be money very well spent. The front mud flaps look really good - not sure I like the rear mud flaps and not so sure they'll serve any real purpose (might take them off). The exhaust tip looks great, but serves no purpose whatsoever - oh well, what the heck.

Only other thing that really caught my eye (or rather my ears) is the amount of wind noise at 60 plus mph. It was a little more than I expected. Other than that and still looking for a place to put loose change, I'm a very happy camper. However, I haven't yet put my 1st 1000 miles on this car.

I was disappointed to hear that the free maintenance program was no longer available. Would have been a nice bonus.
    I was very tempted by the new Mustangs as well - awesome looking car. Practicality in regards to northern winters, places to put more than one passenger, and bang for the buck brought me back to the Galant. Now If I could own two cars, .............................. maybe someday. Anyway, I'm not so sure the Galant wouldn't hold its own off the line against one of those new Mustangs. Being the practical guy I am, not that this would much matter to me : )
  • usaysousayso Member Posts: 25
    Well done!

Surprising that they dropped the Free Maintanence program....

The V6 Mustang has about the same performance (0-60 in 6.8 seconds) as the Galant V6 according to all the reviews. Although you're right the Ford is not a practical car. Can't roll down the rear windows for a fresh air view and the V6 sounds so much better in the Galant. Mustang does get a manual, nice and a 5 speed auto yet has no where near the warranty. Plus it's a Ford... Frequency of repairs will tell the tale. It will be interesting if Consumer reports puts it on there recommended list like they just did with the Galant. By the way I owned a new yellow 1970 Mustang with a 302 V8 and 4 on the floor. It was a fine car but horrible in winter. Looks alot like the new one.

Oh yes I've seen pics of the next 2 Galants, the refreshening of the nose due next year, (Diamante look) and the new '08. The '08 is nice, (still going to polarize) it's the interior which is really a step above. I tried to post them here but they were from a competing magazines forum and they were deleted by the Host.

Enjoy Stuckey!
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Can you mention the mag names so i can at least look at them?
    Google: Taiwan Mitsubishi Grunder. I'm wrong about it being the 2008 model however.

Happy Motoring!
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Well, if you scroll back two or five pages , you should see a post where someone's 99 was at almost 200K. My 99 LS V6 is at 101K right now and has easily been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Not perfect, but everything still works and repairs have been minimal. I still get 23-24MPG in city/mixed driving and 26+ on straight highway. I live in Chicagoland so the car sees both hot & humid summers as well as ice cold winters. Of course YMMV but I have no problem recommending Mitsu.

A coworker has a 97 or 98 Montero Sport. It has something like 80-90K miles; haven't ridden in it lately. Still, he's going back to it from the Audi TT he bought as the TT was a pile of junk. Every other week something was needing work on the Audi; he's sworn off European cars now.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • sudeepsudeep Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I too was looking at a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant ES that's loaded with the works. Its done 80K miles. It runs pretty good and I got it checked at meineke's and the mechanic said he couldnt spot any problems with it. But still my friends (and the mechanic) insist that I should not buy it as they say that Mitsubishis dont run past 100K miles. If i buy this one, I think i will most probably keep it till its past 100K miles. So if someone could help me out and let me know if mitubishis really
    are not that relaible? I thought that since they're Japanese cars, they should be quite relaible. Help!

PS: Thanks Pat for the correction. I really didnt mean it that way (and I really didn't know it meant that..so sorry! Thanks for letting me know.)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    No problem, thanks! :)
    Mitsubishis are just as reliable as other Japanese brands but their image was soiled by using Chrysler components in the Eclipse in the mid-late 90s, which was one of their best selling cars. Their own engines are solid performers and can easily run 200k+ as long as its taken care of. There are no known mechanical defects as far as the engine is concerned. The automatic tranny can be a weak link, but its always due to owner neglect. If the tranny's fluid is replaced at 30k intervals, you can expect about 170-200k out of it. If this is not done, the tranny can start slipping by 100k but can often be limped along for another 20-30k before failing completely.

I used to own a 93 Diamate that I bought used. I sold it with 173,000 miles. It only burned about 1/4 quart of oil between 3k oil changes. Everything was original on the car, including the alternator, AC compressor, and all power equipment. It always started on the first try and never left me stranded. Few cars can claim this level of reliability. I only had problems with the front brake rotors warping due to lugnuts being put on too tightly by tire shops and the interior fan motor burned out. It also ran into a stalling problem at 165k, but I was able to fix it myself by cleaning the gunk out of the throttle body. By the way, I sold this car to a college student back in 2000 and I recently saw my old car on the road in the same condition that I left it in. It has to have at least 200k on it by now!

So, the statement that Mitsus don't run past 100k is just plain false. There are lots of high mileage good running Mitsus on the road. I think its just another case of "its different so it must be junk".
  • elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    Went to a little ship party at MMNA on Thursday May 12 where we sent the first truckload of the PS 24 Eclipse off to Cally-forney. They had a large screen set up showing various Mitsu models including the 2 SEMA Ralliart concepts, Galant & Endeavor, performing maneuvers & under scrutiny at auto shows. They then announced they would be built next year for release as an 07 model.

This only makes sense seeing as how we have all the necessary ingredients right there & I'm not saying it's been hammered in stone but it's as close to an official announcement I've yet heard. I saw both vehicles at the Chicago auto show & thought they were really well thought out. Right now I have no idea what standard or optional equipment will be. I'm guessing that a 6 speed manual will be available in both, as well as the 5 spd auto. A 6 spd stick AWD Endeavor with the new MIVEC V-6 would be pretty original I'm thinking. Not a whole hell of a lot of something like that cruising down the highway right now.

I would simply have to have the Ralliart Galant !! End of discussion.
  • mirde98mirde98 Member Posts: 95
    To sudeep and everyone.... Mitsubishi's are as reliable as any Japanese car. As ingtonge18 says..... Problems started when the hot selling Eclipse started using Chrysler's Neon engines which are known to daily break downs plus those cars made in Normal IL, for some kind of reason the build quality is not up to the japanese built. I have a 1998 Mitsu Mirage DE coupe with 1.5L 12 valve 92hp with 4/AT. My car has 105,050 miles on the ODO and it NEVER.....belive me...NEVER had left me stranded. My best friend just bought a 2004 Galant DE. She loves it. But i have a friend that has a 97 Eclipse and its been troublesome. 96 Galant and interiors are falling apart. I know Mistubishi is having rough times now..... partly because since 1995+ most of carmaker improved quality and Mistubishi sunk themselves using HORRIBLE Chrysler engines and parts......how dumb. Now they are trying to improve the image. Im a truly beliver of Mitsubishi. I know they will make it. As long they come up with fresher products...new cars and made standard safety features like side and curtains airbags, ABS and all the good stuff.....they will make it. Look Hyundai. They had the worst cars....now they are highly desirable. So if they did it.....Mitsubishi can do it too.
    So far I am very much enjoying my new car. It handles quite well - sturdy suspension, ABS, TC, smooth shifting, strong acceleration, and confident braking.

Avg. MPG so far: lowest 23, highest 25 in mixed highway/city driving (note: likely could do better if I could stop testing how quick it can go from 0 to 60 : ).

Concerns: (1) occasional "creaky" sound that comes from dash (radio and passenger side) when driven over moderate to harsher bumps, (2) driver comfort (lower back) improving, but still a bit of a problem for me - old car had more lateral support, (3) ceiling insert has twice popped out of its seal as it meets the back of the sunroof, (4) brake dust accumulation.

Positives: (1) great sound system and controls, (2) still liking the look and function of the dash and gauges, (3) the larger size of the car - I'm the guy who traded in the 2000 Galant, (4) fit and finish of the exterior, (5) very sporty animal in an executive skin - pretty impressive for a car under $20,0000, (6) only car like it in my small town of 35,000.

Other people tend to react very positive to the styling or very negative. I've not recalled hearing such polarized opinions about the style of any car like I've heard about the Galant. On the other hand, all those who I have taken for a spin have been extremely positive about the ride, their comfort, and interior appeal.

I certainly hope that Mits. finds a way to thrive. It would be a shame to deprive those who enjoy their products the chance to consider future Mits. models and purchases. Mits. Galants (love them or hate them) provide for additional car world diversity. I'm very glad I have one in my driveway.
  • juvaknightjuvaknight Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar problem with my 1996 galant S very wierd don't know what it is .did you fix it!
    Hi Everyone,
    I need some help, just leased a new GTS and the window sticker describes the stereo system as having 8 speakers. I can only find 6. I called the dealer they said it is a misprint, there is only 6. The GTS they have on the showroom also has a sticker stating it has 8 speakers. This seems like a mighty big misprint to me. Anyone have any info on this? My salesperson looked at the car and consulted with the repair department and couldnt find the last 2.
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    My guess would be there is a speaker in each door (4), 2 in the trunk under the rear dash, and 1 in each A-pillar above the dash (2), for a total of 8??? This is just my guess from looking at interior shots of the car on the 'net.
    these are the 6 i have found - 2 in trunk, 2 in front doors, 2 in dash - no speakers in back doors....even the salesperson and service dept couldnt figure out where the other 2 are. :confuse:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Are you certain that none of the housings contain a pair of speakers? This is a common configuration, not sure about the Galant, but it is common in other cars.
  • someguysomeguy Member Posts: 3
    I, too, was wondering where the other 2 speakers are in my GTS. Maybe the door contains a pair of speakers, or perhaps even one coaxial speaker (which is like a tweeter atop a woofer or midrange). The rear speakers look like singles from inside the trunk unless they're coaxial.

I bet the dealership's service manual tells all.
  • someguysomeguy Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a new 2005 GTS, and .... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS CAR !!! The only thing I dislike are the daytime running lights, a very minor annoyance compared to how great this car is. My Mitsu dealer swears there's no way to turn them off, but might there be a secret, albeit safe, way to turn them off without screwing up something else on the circuit?
  • portknoxxaportknoxxa Member Posts: 69
    I looked at the review that Edmunds did on the '04 GTS and they said that there were 6.3" speakers in all four doors In their stereo evaluation. I've owned my GTS for 16 months and I don't have any in my rear doors that are visible. After reading the posts about this topic I called the 888-MITSU number and they did not know and told me to contact a dealer on the matter. Even on the MITSU web site they say that there are 8 speakers. Maybe there are a 4 speakers in the dash because the housing looks big enough to support 2 tweeters or something. Let the scavenger hunt begin!! :)
  • juswheelsjuswheels Member Posts: 42
    I am about to purchase a new vehicle - Was looking at 3, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Mitsubishi Galant and Pontiac G-6.

All are priced about the same, within $300 to $500 as equiped - The G-6 is the quickest but has a very small trunk but that's offset by very pleasing styling. The Malibu Maxx without any doubt has the best utility and had a surprising quiet, stable ride. The Mitsubishi Galant has the best warranty and drove on a par with the G-6. Not as quick but handling and braking were about equal.

Wife doesn't really care for the styling of the Chevrolet and I agree it's different but also think it grows on you.

Not a hard decision, you might think but if I should choose the Galant, it would be my first purchase of a car not built in the US for more that 40 years.

Thoughts and opinions are very welcome.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Aren't they built in Illnois?

I thought the Galant was built right here in the good ole U.S. of A.
    I didn't know that they were built in Illinois. Thanks for the info - But would still welcome opinions on how others feel the 3 cars compare. Thanks
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Yep!-Normal, Illnois!
  • observer22observer22 Member Posts: 41
    Hi Juswheels,

All three (Galant, G6, Maliu Maxx) are very slow sellers who will have poor resale. Consider a base 2006 (just introduced) Hyundai Sonata, Hyundai has a lot of momentum and no one is talking about them not being around a few years from now (in sharp contrast both Mitsu and Pontiac are regularly mentioned as brands which could die off). Buick's slow-selling Lacrosse might be worth a look since two of your three choices are GM (Buick seems to have realized Lacrosse is priced about $3k too high).

The Galant will be more reliable than the G6 or the Malibu Maxx, Mitsubishi's 2.4 is a terrific engine that has benefited from a decade's worth of refinement and improvement.

Have noticed the newly introduced Eclipse has received some lukewarm reviews, Mitsubishi needs a hit desperately. The Galant's ugly front end and the hopeless Outlander should be enough for someone to get fired (was amazed GM did not fire the guy who styled the ugliest vehicle ever produced, Pontiac Aztek, proof positive of GM's dysfunctional condition). Mitsubishi needs a $20K base Endeavor. I have owned two Mirages over the years, both were reliable and fun.
    Thanks for the info. This past Saturday, I did drive the 06 Sonata. Very Impressed. However since it's a first year car, I decided to pass and priced a Santa Fe. OK car with handling that was a little sloppy, considerable body roll on corners. There's a big "BUT" in the equation for the Santa Fe. This dealer was the worst I've ever tried to deal with in over 20 years. The purchase sheet was a total mystery, no APR, no amount for my trade, no info in incentives or rebates. It was like trying to purchase a car at the Zoo. If Hyundai allows dealers like this one, they are in for problems with their reputation. The next closest dealer is 60 miles and that's too far for any warranty work.

The Galant I test drove did have the 2.4 Mivec engine and you are correct, it's terrific and they have a super warranty 10/ 100,000. However, I live in the NE and wanted anti-lock brakes. To get those you need an equipment package that adds a lot to the price.

Re-Sale is not important to me. With my job and family obligations, I put nearly 100,000 miles on my car in 4 to 5 years. Nearly all are highway miles so the wear and tear is minimal. I know this but no one on a used car lot would believe that the miles were 80% highway, so whatever I buy will be essentially worthless when I sell. Example - my current car is an 01 Ford Taurus with 85,000 miles on it. My one major repair was an oil seal for $300. Other than that just oil changes, brakes, tires and 2 transmission services. (I service my tranny every 30,000 and have never had one go.) I did replace the battery last month but other than that, no problems or complaints with the car. I would purchase another but this is the last year for the Taurus.

The Malibu I drove was very quick, super utility, little or no road noise. I just learned that the Malibu was given the JD Power award for Quality and it tied with the Audi in Side Impact Crash Tests. Rather impressive for a Chevy. I think you might be able to guess where I'm leaning.

Sorry for the long read but I'm also impressed with the friendly replies and helpful info on this site.

Thanks again and I welcome additional comments.
    Hi juswheels,

Everyone now qualifies for GM Employee Discount Price for 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx
    Selected Style: LS 1SA
    MSRP: $22,090.00
    GM Employee Discount Price: (approx.) $17,696.53
    Get another $2,000 Rebate for financing through GMAC...
    So your price BEFORE haggling begins is $15, 696.53

The invoice on this model is $1,825 lower than MSRP...

So you could EASILY buy this car for $500 over invoice at..... $14,371!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think you'll find anything comparable at this price... I love my '04 Galant LS and strongly advise folks to buy it BUT only if they get the right numbers..... I did via $5,000 in rebates back in January but they're gone now....

Pluses for the Maxx are the Remote starter option, same platform as the SAAB 9-3 (european handling), love the button on the auto shift for punching up and down the gears manually!
    Besides the V6 in the Maxx has the distinction of the best mile-per-gallon V6 for sale in America so ENJOY! Get it in Black it really looks cool!

Happy Motoring!
    I like my new Galant a lot (more so than the Malibu - personal preference), however the creaky/squeaky dash has been driving me crazy. Such a great and classy car with such a noticeable annoyance and distraction. The dash will creak and squeak over bumps, around turns, at stops, and etc. After much investigation (taking different parts of the dash off), I think I found the source of much of the noise. If you press down on the far corners of the dash - near the windshield - you will likely hear of the creaks of speak of. The speaker grills pop out if you can get under the front edge of them and lift up. The speakers themselves are in a plastic casing which twist into the plastic dash setting. It is this plastic on plastic connection that seems to be producing these awful noises.

1) does anyone else have this(these) problem(s)?
    2) is there a source I'm not considering?
    3) has anyone found a solution to reducing this noise?

I appreciate any ideas/comments you have.

On a different subject. I have to agree with "usayso" on the pricing. It is hard to ignore a good deal when they come along. If the Mits. was currently offering what GM is, I would say go for the Galant. At the moment Mits. is not. Good luck "justwheels" with your decision.

Thanks in advance, Mike.
  • portknoxxaportknoxxa Member Posts: 69
    You should take another look at the new Sonata. i owned a last gen sonata i think it was a 2002, and it was a 1st year car new everything and the car was almost perfect except there was no sportiness to it, and had no problems whatsoever. I own a '04 Galant GTS and despite the problems of Mitsubuishi, I love the new Galants, mainly the GTS, and I've put on 31,500 miles and no problems. But it sounds like you have already made up your mind. The way I see it. You should get the car that is not going to make you cringe when you have to write that monthly payment. I cringed :cry: everytime when paying for my '02 Sonata. Now I don't cringe I :)
    Actually, your 02 Sonata was in its 4th year. The Sonata was all new in 1999. The 02 model was simply a facelift and a slightly larger version of the same V6. Thus why your car was so reliable. The 06 Sonata would be a big gamble, because not only is it a first year car, its the first ever Hyundai built in the US at a completely new factory. A lot of firsts for one car. I think I'd rather leave the gambling to someone else on that one.

The Malibu Maxx is a sweet car. I almost bought one a year ago and I still want to get one. It's a little ackward looking but the interior packaging is simply amazing, the fuel economy is awesome, its surprisingly fast, and the ride is comfy without feeling wallowy. With the current special prices, I'd probably go for it over the Galant. That being said, the Maxx won't be as cheap as the other guy mentioned. The employee discount pricing is about as low as the dealer will go. The invoice price doesn't march downward with the employee pricing. By buying the car at the employee price, you are already theoretically getting it below invoice. It's all a numbers game though since in reality, the price is not much different from what it was before. You loose the regular rebates but gain the ability to get a good deal without having to haggle.
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Not sure what it was before but there's a $2K rebate on the Maxx right now and that's off the employee price - not a bad deal.
    Hi,

I had an opportunity to walk around and sit in the new '06 Eclipse GS (4 cylinder)... Very nice car. Seats had more bolstering, dashboard materials a step up, switchgear though was similar to past models ( I traded a 2000 Eclipse RS for my '04 Galant LS)... Headlights had these lenses fitted externally to change the color of the beam to bluish tint, kind of a zenon look. For $20,500 it was a very nice package. It will be interesting to see how sales are... By this time next year they'll be blowing these out too...

Also saw the new '06 Subaru Tribeca SUV.... Strange beast, half mini van half SUV (seats 7, and it's fairly small)... The dashboard was gorgeous in my humble opinion. Looks alot like the dash in the Taiwan Mitsubishi Grunder (Asian Galant)...

And yes I was wrong about my MAXX pricing for juswheels above, no haggling will be necesary as the GM Discount price is the price paid, end of story... Unless you finance with GMAC then another $2,000 comes your way.. NICE...

Happy Motoring!
    Purchased the Maxx this morning. :)
    Something you may be interested in - The regular rebates still apply. They are taken off the price after the deduction for the employee discount. This one, was loaded with the exception of leather seats and stickered for $24,000 +. With the employee discount and rebate the price BEFORE deducting my trade was $18,000. I don't think you can touch that with any other car in this class. I believe I'm going to be very satisfied.
  • observer22observer22 Member Posts: 41
    Local Mitus dealer (really just a used car dealer who sells an occasional Mitsubishi) advertises base Galant (DE) for $500 more than a local dealer lists their new Camry LE.
    And if one considers a large Toyota dealer about 100 miles away, the base Galant is $1500 more than a Camry LE.
    As a longtime Mitsu fan who has owned one for about half of the previous 20 years I must say it looks really bad for this brand's survival. A lengthy recession would likely bump it off. Meanwhile new stick shift Hyundai Elantras selling for $8888 (with air/tilt wheel and radio).
    Nice buy!
    SEE if you buy these vehicles well enough like you and I did ($7,200 off my '04 Galant LS) folks don't have to consider resale value.

Did you get your Maxx in Black or dark Gray?

Did you get the DVD player in the rear?

I love the way the reclining back seats turn the Maxx into a limo, and now with the DVD you can park with your wife up at lover's leap and watch the latest DVD's through your fine car sound system..... Great camping vehicle!

Happy Motoring!
    Thanks to all for the help on this:

The Mitsu is an excellent car but the dollars and cents of the Maxx, coupled with extra safety equipment and great utility made it my choice. The color is Silver Green Metallic. This color looks completely different in person than it does on-line. My wife likes the interior very much but still hasn't gotten used to the exterior look. I jokingly told her that we purchased a new 1986 Taurus at a time when it was the only "Egg With Wheels" , on the road. So, the new Maxx would grow on her, just like the first Taurus did. She replied, "What, Like a Wart". :) (She was just busting my chops)

Only had it a couple of days and so far I'm very pleased. Absolutely nothing to complain about. :):)

That 86 Taurus reminded me of something. Remember the saying "Don't buy a first year car, wait till they get the bugs out". Well, I bought the 86 Taurus the first year it was made. Drove it until 1993, then gave it to my daughter to take to college and she drove it until 1997. After graduating from college she traded it in for a Saturn. Not bad for a first year car.
  • adityaaditya Member Posts: 8
    hi
    i bought my 2000 galant from a private owner recently. for some electrical work my mechanic had disconnected the battery. and on connecting it - the cd player / radio asks for a 4 digit code - which i don't have. the dealership is quoting a $45 charge to give me the code.
    do i have any other options where i can get the code from? :confuse:
    That kinda s****. I had a 2000 Galant with the same radio security feature you speak of. Short of trying all 4000 code combinations, I think you'll likely have to shell out the 45 bucks. Actually, on second thought, I would not recommend just entering misc. numbers as the radio may be programmed to give you just several attempts - after several unsuccessful attempts it may not give you the option to try again. Did the car include the owner's manual? As I recall, included with the owner's manual were 2 credit card size documents that contained the code number along with the specific serial number of the radio that came with car. Whenever the car battery would drain completely, I remember having to re-enter that code.

Good Luck,
  • adityaaditya Member Posts: 8
    Hi stuckey
    Thanks for the update.

I was wondering if having the VIN, there is some database that can be looked up for the Code???