Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    I'd say re: metalmat vibration that bad I'd look for wheel out of balance/alignment. We don't know what mileage on the car, so I'd say not rotors, but u never know. My first set lasted about 55K (mainly highway, one resurface), before warping. Replaced with factory rotors; now 60K later hardly worn out, still same pads (about half left) - wow.
    I'm on third battery, thought at some time something is frying them. So far a little more than a year, performing great. I'd speculate regarding our fellow forum member metalmat that he just got bad luck with battery, or maybe simply bad terminal connection. Hope he gets it figured out and fixed.
    I guess we are in the same boat - don't wanna part with the Galant yet :) . Last payment in October, hope to keep it another two years without a note. Then - we'll see. My wife reaaally likes the ride and wants to replace it with another one, although she mainly drives the CR-V. I'm more inclined to go to an Accord or a Civic, but we'll see.
    Recently replaced inner tie-rods; also engine cover gasket - very small leak, but decided to do it, only $200.00. Planning to do timing belt AND water pump at 120K, tranny flush gets to be done too around that time/mileage. I have gone from 3K oil changes to 4-5K intervals, should be fine, especially with mainly highway commute.
    At the 100K mark total for repairs( excl. maintenance) was just under $600.00 - not bad :)
    Good luck and happy motoring!
  • harleyhharleyh Member Posts: 1
    We just acquired a 95 Mitsubishi Galant LS 4-door from family members and it has become quite a problem. The power door locks will not work and the battery is being drained. We have tested the fuses under the hood and disconnected the door locks, etc. Help - We cannot keep it running. Is there anyplace or anything else we can do. Thanks. HarleyH
  • jcappadonajcappadona Member Posts: 3
    Is it really necessary to use premium fuel ($$) in a V6 Galant as specified by Mitsubishi? Other comparable brands/models (e.g. Camry, Accord, etc.) all use regular.

The Mitsubishi hotline was not helpful in answering my question.
  • usaysousayso Member Posts: 25
    Hi "j...."
    I drive an '04 Galant LS V6... Every other 1/2 tank is a premium fill-up. I feel no difference in performance and that's driving it up mountains. So fill with premium drive to half empty, fill with regular.. repeat. Mid grade doesn't cut it... I get 23 mpg driving half town half freeway... 26+ mpg freeway. 18 mpg stop n go....

Ideas to conserve fuel use..
    Drive smoothly.. no racing... Make driving a game to see how far you can get without braking. From stop, tromp on the gas for grins getting to speed limit then immediately lift and coast as far as possible before slowly and smoothly getting on the gas again. Use your cruise at 4 mph over the limit. In the mountains switch to neutral and coast down hills. Check your tires for proper inflation. Turn the air off and ride with the windows down under 45 mph, air on above 45mph. It's a 104 today here in the west and I do all these things. The europeans go one further and have systems which shut the car off at every stop and it restarts the car when the gas pedal is applied. They claim it works great even in heat if it's only a few minutes.

Happy Motoring!
    Thanks for the info!! I'm still not sure why Mitsu is doing this considering the price of gas. I would like the V6 but may settle for the 4.
    Hi "j..."

If you like the grins get the V6... The 4 is thirstier in this car since it's a little on the heavy side... plus the 4 uses Mivec heads which seem to create this thirst as well. I had a 2000 Eclipse RS 4cyl. without Mivec and it got decent mpg... 26+ but have heard the Mivecs are much thirstier.

Also the main reason to get this car is the V6.... It growls to 60 in 6.8 seconds (MotorTrend). The '07 Camry V6 now does it in 6.7 but try to buy one for less than $24,000.... However the Camry V6 does get great gas mileage... The Accord also has the same results as the Galant yet it too costs more...

Galants can be bought 10+% cheaper. Have better warranty's.
    Resale is a condition of what you finally pay for one. If you buy well enough (low) you can beat the resale value of the Camry or the Accord.

Happy Motoring!
    usayso...you're a wealth of info. good points to consider. I guess i just ate giving $ to exxon, etc. and not being a good steward of the environment.

I'm considering others with better mph as you suggest.

thanks again for your interest and thoughts

j
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I have an '06 Galant with an I4, and it is true that the MIVEC is thirsty, and the Galant is heavier than the Accord or Camry. I get about 20 mpg in the city, and 27 hwy. It's not slow, but nowhere near the pep of the V6. I've never been in a situation that it was just too slow to accelerate, though I would have liked to get the EPA of 23mpg city.

I didn't realize the V6 Galant had almost as good mileage as the I4 (being that it is reported here to get 18 mpg stop and go, that's also it's EPA estimate), or I might have ponied up the dough for that. Still, I'm loving the car, and the more I drive it, the more I like it. Just added tint to the windows and it's nicer looking and helps with the sun, too.

The dealership hosts Mitsubishi owners once a month, with a Q & A on maintenance, etc. During one I attended it came up (the service manager mentioned) that you should use premium with the V6. It was also mentioned not to use premium or mid-grade fuel with the I4, only regular. He said something about build up. Not a problem for me, since I was counting on using only regular.
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    My gf has a 98 Galant (4 cyl) and I would like to get a tranny flush on the car (automatic). Since she has misplaced the owner's manual, I'm not sure what type of tranny fluid it requires. Also, does 98 model use a filter or a screen on the transmission? Please help. Thank you very much.
  • chad567chad567 Member Posts: 1
    Did anybody ever find out what the problem was with this. My girlfriends car is having the exact same problem. It is a 2003 Galant, and the temperature control seems to get stuck. Last winter I drove through Canada and it got stuck on the cold setting, and I ended up driving about 200 miles with no heat. Sometimes if you pull over, shut the engine off and restart it, the control will fix itself, but you will hear a fast clicking sound as it adjusts. I read something about a heater door that might be getting stuck, has anybody heard of this?
  • bhl311bhl311 Member Posts: 1
    I feel sorry for all Gallant owners!!!! You think you have such a great car now wait till 4 or 5 years from now when your clear coat breaks down and Mitsubishi wont do a thing about it because it is out of warranty!!!!!! be aware and stay away from Mitsubishi if you have not purchased one yet!!!!!!!! because it is a joke!!!! Not only did it happen to me it happened to another person in the same apartment building!!!! Stay away from Mitsubishi!!!! They don't believe in QUALITY!!!!!
  • kam108kam108 Member Posts: 16
    Just curious-what color paint do you have? I've read about black having problems, but not other colors. I have a dark gray one, and would certainly like to trade it in a few yrs before the paint is a problem.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Well, I don't know about Gallants as I've never driven one. But the paint job on my Barcelona Red 99 Galant is still doing great after 7.5 years and 120K miles of hot summers and cold Chicago winters, complete with road salt. There are a couple of chips in the hood from rocks but all cars are susceptible to those.

My Galant has been the highest quality car I've ever owned. It's been more reliable than any of my former cars, which included a Toyota, a Nissan, a Mercury, and a Mazda.

BTW, you may want to check your keyboard. The exclamation point seems to be stuck.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    Hi All,

I had a 2000 Mitsu Eclipse for 5 years... No paint problems at all.... Very reliable car cept for the wiper motor which broke leaving the dealers lot 5 minutes after the sale... My current '04 Galant LS V6 is still charming me. It's still fun to drive and leaves a smile on my face when I depress the gas pedal into the floorboard. Still getting 23 mpg. Still wished the front end looked better. Still want to keep it until it hits 49,990 miles then I'll trade it for whatever is ripe for my car buying philosophy.. Maybe a 2010 Subaru WRX wagon... 4 wheel drive... 5.5 seconds to 60.. (hope they still this fast in 2010) But who knows maybe Mitsu will have a version... have you seen the new Lancer pics? Yooowwwww! I know it'll be the new 2010 Mitsu Eclipse with 300 horsepower.

Happy Motoring!
  • mirde98mirde98 Member Posts: 95
    Mitsubishi car's are reliable. Just like any other manufacturer it had his "not so good" models. But they have improve the quality noticeably. Galant's previous 1997 were known of body integrity issues. 1998+ Galant's didn't encounter such issues, except for black colored 98-03 Galants. I have a 98 Mirage DE with 123k, 03 Lancer ES, 78k, 2 friends of mine have '00 Galant ES, 107k and '04 Galant DE, my stepfather still have his '98 Mirage with more than 200k miles on it and we all have had great experiences from Mitsubishi. So yes, you may had a bad experience but that doesn't generalize a whole company or manufacturer. Still each case is unique and should be analyzed of 'WHY' the paint faded or peeled off. For example my roommate has a two Accord's One 2000 and other 2001. Both always garaged. And their paints are going kinda matte compared with my 1998 Mirage which NEVER...belive me NEVER have been inside a garage. Always outside exposed to the elements. And Honda is not a bad car company. Just like all the others are not perfect. Not even Toyota its perfect. So instead of "feeling sorry for Galant owners" which we all know that you could care less, provide more detailed information about what happen to you're car so we can all learn from you're experience. Thats why these forums exist, to learn. Thanks.
  • kcannavakcannava Member Posts: 1
    Wow me too!! I guess I have to pull the heater box to find why its binding or have you figured it out? Please let me know!! ;)
  • tra9105tra9105 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2004 Mitsubishi galant and the brakes have been squeaking loudly and constantly since it was bought brand new. it has 34,000 miles and the brakes have been replaced at 27000 miles. The dealer says that its normal but noise is to loud and constant to be normal. The sunroof also rubs against the metal when closing and the dashboard makes a popping noise on hot days. Can anyone help me out with these problems?
  • rtolentino2rtolentino2 Member Posts: 50
    Did anybody see this brand new 2007 Galant Ralliart on the market???? Well..........to see is to believe!!! This is one of the best Galants i've ever seen. Lots of power, style (exterior & interior)are both great & looks like an Evo Galant to me. If you look on Galant's Ralliart concept design, the seats are made by Recaro, and front disc brakes are both Brembo. Galants are under rated in terms of style & sales coz' it's built in the US BUT engine is great (made in Japan)............go for it!!!!! ;);)
    Is this an '04 "new" Galant design or the 2001-04 Galant ones?? I have an '02 Galant, bought it as pre-owned @22K mileage & i also have the same problems w/ the brakes. I replaced the front brake pads w/ a ceramic one & the squeaking sound were gone. But, after 10k miles, it went back. My auto technician told me that "ceramics" are good but it does'nt last since it's soft. He changed my pads & rotors at the same time @40K mileage & used "Wagner" brand & the noise were gone. My '02 galant has a 95,700 mileage now & i guess it needs a replacement for my front pads again. Also, my timing belt is due for replacement. So far, that's the only major problem i've encountered w/ my '02 Galant & it still drives fast on the FWY.
    FYI: Check out the new 2007 Galant Ralliart - is out in the market now!!!!! ;););)
  • elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    Be sure to check out the Ralliart Galant in the sunset pearlescent (orange) color. Same as the Eclipse. It might not sound that great but when you see it...DAMN !!!

You put this in a parking lot with Beemers, Lexus, Acura's whatever & the Ralliart is the one you're going to check out first. Runs like a striped [non-permissible content removed] ape too. Best thing is that it's only a few K more than the GTS.
  • ashwinirashwinir Member Posts: 12
    I have an '04 LS and I have these loud brakes too. Worse, now I get the TCL OFF and ABS indicator lights on all the time after driving some distance.

It's only been 20k miles on my car.
  • brian_2227brian_2227 Member Posts: 3
    I would like to turbo my 2003 Galant, but they do not have a kit for it. I would like some pointers in how to go about putting a turbo on my car. :)
  • loni1loni1 Member Posts: 1
    i have the same problem with my 2002 galant es. i have around 67,000 miles on it and it's in the shop again. this time it's going 2 cost approximately $1500. two of the mounts that hold the engine in place deteriorated, causing a shift of the engine which caused distributor damage. to fix the mounts/brackets and a new distributor $1500. i hate mitsubishi galants, they suck. as for the cold air i've been living in tx for 1yr so i haven't got it fix yet. i'm going home to new york and i'v been looking into getting some quotes. everyone i talk 2 say around the same $700-$800. the problem started when i purchased the bucket. i heard clicking, and what sounded like a fan that had something stuck in it. brought to the dealer and the mechanic said "that's just the sound it makes when you switch form cool to heat" "that's normal". I'm a girl, and by no means a mechanic, so that satisfied me. lol. by the way this was healy mitsubishi goshen ny. they finally figured out the problem just when the warranty ran out, and said it was going to cost me to fix it. i passed because i was moving to tx. the list of stuff wrong with the car i'm still making payment on go on &on & on. i suggest you get rid of your galant as soon as possible. after my car comes out of the shop i'm turning in my bucket for a honda.
    I feel sorry for your 2002 Galant..BUT not all galants have the same problems as yours. It depends on how it was used by the first owner or how old is the model or where did you buy it??? I also have an '02 Galant & bought this "certified" pre-owned at Cerritos Auto Square BUT, it was indeed great in terms of driving except for the brakes which i replaced after 45K mileage.

To be honest, i already traded my '02 Galant at 96,800mileage & BOUGHT a brand new 2007 ES 2.4 Mivec Galant!!! w/ a Sport Package. I was really aiming for the Galant Ralliart (fully loaded) but i was'nt able to qualify.
    Nevetheless, i HIGHLY recommend these Galants not only of its realiability in terms of the engine & transmission (Made in Japan)..... BUT also in terms of safety features & warranties. See CONSUMER REPORTS & compare the 07 Camrys to 07 Galant.

Camry's have transmission issues & ratings are only 3 1/2 %%%% as compared to Galants at 4-5%%%%.

Galant is the BEST backed car in terms of warranties: 100,000/10yrs. Powertrain waranty / 5yrs./60,000 bumper2bumper / 7 yrs.anti-corrosion/ and lastly 5 yrs/ or unlimited mileage Roadside Assistance!!!!

Side Curtain Air bags/Head protection (both front & passengers)are standard on all 2007 models!!! Including the side air (front only)bags, plus the standard driver & front passenger air bags.

360-watts Rockford High Definition Accoustic Sound w/ 8 speakers (incl. 2 subwoofers) are standard on Ralliart or as a sport package just like what i have on my ES model.

TRaction Control are standard on a GTS & Ralliart incl. ABS & Electronic Brakeforce Distribution.
    Ralliarts have a 14" ventilated rotors in front.

Engine is 3.8 V6 Mivec............what else??? Style is cool & great as if you're in a BMW or other european cars.

Result............five stars.!!!

Sounds cool?????????

Camrys are BORING & pls. read consumer ratings & reports!!!!

Mitsus are driven to THRILL you!!!!
    That's a sad situation with you're Galant. But Galants are very reliable indeed. Things go wrong and some mechanics make the situation worst. Some dealers customer service makes you wish to never go back there. That is the case with a lady friend of mine and her 2001 Nissan Sentra. The car was great till something triggered the Check Engine light. She took it to a Nissan dealer and they kept on changing parts, wrong diagnostics, more replacements..... she has spent more than $4,000 in repairs and now she totally hates Nissan's. And Nissan's are not bad....just like Mitsubishi's there very good cars. But S*&t happens and that is normal with all makes and models, including Honda's and Toyota's.
  • vossemanvosseman Member Posts: 1
    Hey. Last week I bought an 04 galant ls v6 for my wife. She wanted a minivan. f--- that. :) anyway, I am interested in the xenon light conversion as well. I wasn't sure if just replacing the bulbs would improve anything, or if I should replace the entire light assembly. Please let me know anything you found out what you have found out or done. Thanx, steve from canada. By the way, she loves the car, so does the baby. :)
  • bill107bill107 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased an '03 Galant, my first Mitsu, love it so far. Can anyone provide me with key fob instructions? Can't seem to get the trunk to open with the fob even after new batteries... Also, any other tips on the '03 in general would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • sr007sr007 Member Posts: 1
    have 2001 galant. No heat. Air conditioning works, fan works. On radiator hoses going into heater core. One hose is hot, and the other is not. How to I get to a value that opens the flow so hot water is flowing thru heat core. does anyknow how to get behind column and into core, without breaking any plastic parts. Any web site for manual photo, or am I stuck taking to a dealer.

Steve
    I just purchased my '07 ES Galant w/ a sport package on it. If i need to upgrade my wheels & tires from 16" to 18", is there any effect on my TPMS or tire pressure monitoring system? Will they be able to transfer the sensor to my new custom wheels?? I really love this car, though it's a 4 cylinder only w/ a sportronic transmission which is awesome - great power for the first 3 gears!!! What if i have a V6 3.5L engine??? :blush:
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I don't for certain on the '03, but on the '06 you must press the button two times to get the trunk to pop. You probably already tried this, but that's all I can come up with, other than Googling for answers or an owners manual.
  • bill107bill107 Member Posts: 2
    Turns out it is an aftermarket product and the trunk button does not work... :cry:
  • acl1acl1 Member Posts: 1
    Had similar problem with my 2002. Heater core valve is probably stuck in closed position. In my 2002, its controlled by a motor driven module located next to heater core below dash. Access requires removing various panels and ducts below glove compartment--not exactly easy but doable. Dealer part that costs > $100. Good intention e.g. minimize cable actuators, etc. resulting in Bad implementation by using a substandard motor control subsystem design. Good cars sometime have minor design faults of which this is an example.
    Good luck.
  • shaylacherishaylacheri Member Posts: 1
    My 04 Galant LS is doing the same thing (ABS, TCL OFF, and Anti Lock) lights come on after driving. I was told it is a "sensor" issue. Has anyone had this problem and gotten it repaired? Is it costly? Will it cause any trouble in the long run (i.e. engine failure?) Please help :)

Thanks!
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    It could be a bad sensor. It could be a failed computer module. ABS and anti-lock are one and the same and the light(s) are telling you that neither the ABS nor the traction control is operable. So, yes, this could cause a real problem in the wrong circumstances. Other than that, it won't hurt the car in and of itself.
  • jtmobjtmob Member Posts: 1
    same problem. flushed system, changed t-stat; still no heat. what is the name of the module and can you give a little more detail on the process of accessing and repairing the module?

thanks
    jimt
  • dwatermandwaterman Member Posts: 1
    I'm dealing with same. A/C works fine, everything looked clean under the hood, but no heat. It's killing me in the Denver blizzard. I'm an amature under the hood, any further assistance with this matter would be greatly appreciated. Any diagrams on websites?

Thanks, happy new year.
    I have a 2004 LS V6... no problems here. But curious why you aren't taking it to the dealer. You get a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty. Repair should be free and painless. Also I recieved free maintanence for 44,000 miles..... Bought mine 2 years ago.

So tell me again why you need to be your own mechanic?

Happy Motoring!
  • noleasegalantnoleasegalant Member Posts: 37
    Greetings good people--I know it's been a while but what can I say--I'M BACK. Let's get started: 1) Fair assessment about the '07's rtol#2. But let's not go crazy here. The only thing the Galant had over the Camry (#1 AGAIN!!) and I'm emphasizing had was the look on the exterior. As for all the other things...i.e. reliability, performance, Camry is LIGHT years ahead of the Galant. I don't care what Consumer reports says (I like to know where/who they "poll" when they get their info), the proof is in the pudding (as in sales--total sales). 2) It's good to see that Mitsu is thinking outside the box when it comes to the brakes (another good point rtol#2). My brother's '04 had intermittent problems with the rotors, but in all the '05's and '06's did improve especially on the handling.

...In the end the Galant is and will always play catch up with the Accords and Camry's of the world. Better than the Altima's, but still not ready to play with the big dogs...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome back... it's been quite a while! :)
  • lportlocklportlock Member Posts: 1
    The 2007 Galant Ralliart is unbelievable...and to think I was going to buy an 07' CRV! This is my first Mitsubishi and I'm tickled pink! :blush: Inside and out this is one impressive vehicle!
    Good to be back!!!! Anyways, one question....did you ever try driving or own an 07 Galant (ES, GTS or Ralliart)at all?
    If not, sad to say but you're missing a lot, it's fun & thrill to drive just as it is advertised. FYI, Mitsu Ralliarts are very well known for their car rally in Asia & other parts of the world even before Honda's & the camrys were built!!!!!>>> Also, in terms of car sales, it does not follow that the car itself is that reliable, it only happens that their marketing/ads are better than the other. Want to test drive & see the results?? I bet that 07 galants will beat the accords, camrys & fusions!!! It's all about advertisements..........Mitsubishi has the better & best warranties of all car dealers - see for yourself, NOT the Ford Fusions as they were saying!!!! You better research first before you say something ok?? 07 Galant Ralliart has a 3.8L, V6 engine & compare the hp/rpm & the torque from Camry, Altima, Maxima, Fusion & Accord - ralliart will beat them all...........thanks.
    I'm 101% w/you!!!! Ralliarts are one of the most powerful & fast engines built by Mitsubishi FYI: It's made in Japan plus the trnasmission too!!!! If you go to the website of mitsu Japan, Ralliarts won the Dakar Car Rally for several consecutive years now. It's not about the no. of cars in terms of sales itself BUT to own & drive an 07 Galant is really WOW/ and what a blasts!!!!!!!
    Keep going & drive safely..........Camrys', Accords, Altimas, Maxima & Fusion - eat my dust!!!!! VVVVVVVVVRRRRRRROOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • noleasegalantnoleasegalant Member Posts: 37
    Yes I forgot about the engine!!!!! Mitsu did improve on the horse power-and the "quiet ride"(especially the 4-cyclinder engines). But like I said we shall see..........
  • kam108kam108 Member Posts: 16
    I so agree with you. There's so much brainwashing via advertisements and Consumer Reports. I guess people just have to find out for themselves. I previously fell for all the brainwashing, and bought a Toyota. I hated the transmission, even found it to be dangerous. I traded it for a Galant, and am very content. To the person who thinks Camry's are light years ahead, they must not be reading the complaints of Camry owners on both Edmund's forums and on the NHTSA website. I think the way the car drives is the most important. The only thing I liked better about my Toyota was the quiet engine. My Galant engine is noisy, but at least I don't feel like I'm going to run into someone, or that they're going to run into me!
    I've always wondered why alot of cars that in reliability they have a poor rating and in satisfaction they have an excellent score. Why someone would love soo much a car thats always breaking down and always in the shop??? And why sometimes CR rates a Toyota car excellent and recomended....but then says (excellent score only applies to the 2wd, 4wd rates poor) I mean....in other non-toyota cars you see a BIG poor reliability score....and then they say (base model rates better than average reliability)...so why in Toyota they dont show the poor score in their 4wd toyota???? Because its a Toyota. And it doesn't look right to say that about a Toyota. But Mitsubishi's have demonstrated above average and excellent reliability records but they always have to find something bad to say. CR is biased in my opinion. I may be wrong.... but thats how i see it.
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/pricing/best-new-vehicles-under-25000-40- - 6/overview/index.htm

Of the 47 vehicles on the Consumer Reports most-reliable list, 39 were from Japanese automakers. Six came from the domestic automakers, and one each came from South Korea and Europe. Twenty-one Toyota vehicles earned top ratings. Honda had 11 vehicles at the top of our ratings. Ford, General Motors, and Subaru each had three, Mitsubishi and Nissan each had two, while Hyundai and Mini each had one.

But my reason for owning a 2004 Galant LS besides the great 5 year bumper-to-bumper warranty, the free 44,000 maintenence program (free oil and services), the smile the V6 puts on my face when I pass 2 cars on a windy road, the best thing about it was it only cost me $14,800 new 2 years ago... The $6000 rebates and nice year end discount from my dealer provided me a substantial automobile for the same money as a Civic.

Would I buy another... Might if they provide incentives like that again. I had an Eclipse before the Galant. And if the next generation improves the interior like they have elsewhere in the world Mitsu might have another Honda guy gone Mitsu.....

Happy Motoring!
  • galantfanaticgalantfanatic Member Posts: 10
    It's been eleven months now. All is well!

The dealership fixed the glovebox to my satisfaction, it's flush when shut now. They gave me an extra oil change for the trouble.

Edit: The TPMS sensors were correct when going off. The dealership gave me a digital pressure gauge, they were reading low, and since inflating the tires while cold, it's been perfect. This is a great safety option!

The vehicle was tinted in the spring with Madico tint. Made a huge difference in the heat. Put one of those solar shades in the front window when parked and that helped even more. From a vanity standpoint, it looks better with tint, too!

No major problems. A rock flew off a truck and chipped the paint, bought touch-up at the dealership. The took the VIN and not only did I get my color, but the batch, too.

I think the frame groans at times, low speed when turning (like backing out) or on inclines. Couldn't get it to do that at the dealership, it's very infrequent. Not a big deal at this point.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the car. My friends have an '06 Galant ES, and no problems of any kind for them.

As to '07 models...

Saw several Ralliarts at the dealership. Orange and red were the only two colors, and none had navigation. Nice vehicles. Should have asked to test drive one, didn't dawn on me until now. D'oh!

Didn't see any ES models on the lot with the package that includes the Rockford stereo, they only had those on their Ralliarts where it's standard.

My color, Titanium Pearl, has been dropped, though another color, Satin Meisai Pearl, looked light gray on a cloudy day. I'm wondering if the Meisai might not look light green in some lighting conditions, because both my friends and I have seen light metallic green Galants, though the sales reps had not heard of a green one. Meisai looks green on the Mitsu website, but I learned on my car search that websites and real life color matching is not accurate.

Consumer Reports has lowered the reliability rating to average. They've also lowered it to the first recommended tier, not the higher second one it once was. Not sure why they did this. I've been confounded by their "logic" on more than one occasion, especially when viewing used car ratings. It doesn't always add up.

The dealership said that the next model year Galant should bring a new body style, but had no photos of it, just the new body style '08 Lancer. I love the 04-07 style Galant.

In summary it's been an excellent vehicle to date. The '07s have continued on the improvement trend, with better packages (I would have got the $1000 sport package that adds the Rockford stereo and other goodies if it had been available on my model year) and side curtain airbags front and back, plus the standard sportronic transmissions, among other things. So the four cylinders are quieter now? Nice, though mine doesn't much bother me.

I'm still driven to thrill every time I get behind the wheel!
  • nitinbudnitinbud Member Posts: 3
    i have a 2003 galant. i bought it used. there is a problem that i dont know what it is! when i go through a small pot hole or a minor bump the rear end of the car shakes left to right like as if it is sitting on an untightened bar that the body shakes left to right (almost a jerky slap of the fishtail) Does anyone know what that is?! PLease help! also the car when driving to work this morning it was a little wet and rainy the rear end was swaying left to right lilke a fish tail slowly but steadily. freaked me out! please help!
    Wow that sounds bad. Did u check before buying if that car was in a accident? Some wrecks are superficially fixed, titles washed, sold to unaware owners and then problems start. Have a reputable technician at ure near Mitsubishi dealer inspect ure vehicle. Run a Carfax report ASAP!!! Go take ure Galant to a Mitsubishi dealer. Dont jeopardize ure security and life driving a unsafe car. And i mean any make and model. It could happen to anyone and any type of car.
  • nitinbudnitinbud Member Posts: 3
    hi! thanks for your response! so you dont know what the problem is? let me know if you have an idea! thanks