Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• bap2bap2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm also having the same exact problem with my heater. Did you ever find out what was wrong with yours?
  • bap2bap2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm also having the same exact problem with my heater on a 2003 Galant. Did you ever find out what was wrong with yours?
  • rdwarriorrdwarrior Member Posts: 2
    bagladie, I had that problem on an 03 Galant. Your best shot is to take it to a dealer. The problem is the Heater control valve is controlled by a small motor. This motor is located in a dumb location. Not easy to get to. It will probably cost between $225 and $300, just guessing. It is a problem that Mitsu should be well aware of.
  • rdwarriorrdwarrior Member Posts: 2
    I have an 03 Galant. AC just stopped working (not good in Oklahoma). Compressor never turns on, low side pressure is good, fuse is good, swapped relays around. The AC indicator light is on. Any suggestions on where to go from anyone.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Sounds like either a ball joint or control arm bushing issue. You need to get it to a front end shop ASAP!!
  • nitinbudnitinbud Member Posts: 3
    thanks! i just got new control arms for the back. but then i took it to another shop and he told me that the guy put two right ones on each side instead of left and right control arms. Is it possible to have both same side control arms put on?

thanks! let me know please!
  • bclarkebclarke Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 Mitsubishi Galant 4cyl. when driving at times it'll down shift on it's on. I think it might be a shift sensor but I'm not sure.
  • cayo1cayo1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Galant that recently began sounding loud while driving, similar to not having a muffler. The exhaust leak appears to be coming from the front of the car and when I climbed underneath it appears to be after the exhaust manifold and before the exhaust pipe leading to the muffler. There appears to be some type of joint between the two where there is a mesh covering. I'm not sure what this part is called and I don't have a repair manual which shows how to disassemble it.

Any thougts, advice any scanned pictures, etc. would be MOST appreciated.
  • soheisohei Member Posts: 1
    Hi;
    My 1999 galant is experiencing the same rough running, shaking, deeper thrunmming sound than before the belts were changed. Did you ever find out what the cure was???

dave
  • cayo1cayo1 Member Posts: 2
    Turns out I had a hole in the flex pipe that needed to be replaced. A shop cut it out and soldered in a new one and everything is fine.
  • patman123patman123 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Galant is also having the same problem as msg 2257. The shop has check the connections and dealer has said the sensor was bad. sensors have now been changed; twice, and still not working. The diagnostic computer has the sensors mixed up. Spin one tire and it reads another, one tire, a rear one does not read any speed when spun, but draws battery voltage when spun. Anyone else who has had a similar problem please let me know what was done to fix it. :confuse: This is the second galant I have had: loved the first until the computer went out. Now this one seems to have similar problem.
  • tra9105tra9105 Member Posts: 6
    i jus bought a 2003 galant es with 80000 miles and when goin over bad ptholes and bumps in the road, the car makes a knock in the front of the car and towards the rear of the car. It doesnt make the soundz when goin over small bumps in the road. Does anyone know what the problem could be?
  • rosie300rosie300 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there to all you Galant lovers. I need your help.

I happen to have a man in my life who adores Galants and has treasured his own since 1990. He has decided to purchase another from the 2001/2003 period, a 2.5 V6. As a Galant freak he has collected all sorts of sales brochures dating back 20 years or so. However, he asked me to look at the sales brochure for the 2001/2003 period and I have accidentally put it in the recycling with the newspapers. Divorce proceedings are imminent. The sales brochure that he refers to has the details of the Galant Elegance etc in it - the ones where the front body of the car looked like a shark nose. I know this is not a technically accurate description for all you officianados out there, but its the best I can muster. If anyone knows where I can get one of these sales brochures so that I can alleviate his grief (and believe me I am not joking here) please let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks for reading this - here's hoping someone can help me.

Rosie
  • mikevegas06mikevegas06 Member Posts: 272
    Rosie. You're in luck. Go to ebay.com and search on "galant sales brochure".
  • ngbaglengbagle Member Posts: 2
    Did you change your plugs 6 months ago?

My 2001 did the same thing...get the OEM plugs for it.
  • ngbaglengbagle Member Posts: 2
    Are they OEM plugs...get out the manual and get the exact ones.
  • rtolentino2rtolentino2 Member Posts: 50
    Question: Does anybody knows where to buy this cold air intake for 2007 Galant ES?? Is it in the market?? Will it improve the power & mileage of the engine (2.4L)??
    Thanks. :confuse: :confuse:
  • sarweshsarwesh Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 galant. It gets water deposited just behind the driver's seat. The problem gets worse on long drive. Seems water from Air conditioner or something like that. Any clue.
    Am just wondering what happened to my latest posting of my new 2007 galant ED w/ sportronic manual transmission??? Am still waiting for edmunds to post them? What happened?? :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I take it you mean the Consumer Ratings linked at the top of the page, right? When did you submit it?
    About a month ago. Twice I did rate my car coz am so disappointed the one who rate this car as over-rated at 2.5 score!!!!!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Maybe it wasn't complete enough or something. Email me approximately what you wrote in your review and I'll let you know if there's a problem - Pat AT edmunds.com - we'll straighten it out.
  • melliomellio Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Galant ES is sitting in a shop right now, having the "torque converter" replaced, an "electric lock up solenoid" replaced (?) and a "general transmission overhaul" (there was "metal in the pan"): my quote for all this is the princely sum of 2138.30 (w/tax, parts, labor, and 1yr/12,000 mile warranty included). Apparently, a couple of the parts can only be had from Mitsubishi, which supposedly explains the high price.

I love my Galant, it's the best car I've ever owned. I bought it new, and I've taken really good care of it. Mechanic says the only other thing wrong with it is that it needs a new paint job (ah, Florida summers--it was black, once!). I'm fairly comfortable with the mechanic, but I'm blown away by the price. Is two grand too much to be paying for this type of repair? Thanks in advance!
  • twill3twill3 Member Posts: 2
    Looking to buy 2nd car for easy commute to work, with good gas mileage. Initially located a 93 Civic with 176K miles, However also at same dealer found a 97 Galant with 96K miles on it. They are same price?? Both are clean on inside and outside seem to be well maintained. Trying to figure out why the dealer showed me the Galant when I specifically wanted to see the Civic, however now I am considering the Galant. Logically the Galant would be the better buy or is Honda's reputation worth sticking with?
  • twill3twill3 Member Posts: 2
    Looking to buy 2nd car for easy commute to work, with good gas mileage. Initially located a 93 Civic with 176K miles, However also at same dealer found a 97 Galant with 96K miles on it. They are same price?? Both are clean on inside and outside seem to be well maintained. Trying to figure out why the dealer showed me the Galant when I specifically wanted to see the Civic, however now I am considering the Galant. Logically the Galant would be the better buy or is Honda's reputation worth sticking with?
  • jflorjflor Member Posts: 20
    Mitsubishi just announced that one of these concepts will be shown in next month's Tokyo Auto Show. Could this be the basis for the new Galant?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=122534
  • psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    Mitsubishi is giving the current Galant a re-skin for the 2009 model year. The Concept ZT is more likely the full redesign (i.e. 10th generation Galant) rumored to occur for the 2011 model year. I feel that's too long to wait for such a beautiful design. :cry:
  • elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    I could be 110% off on this but when I saw the concept ZT picture the other day and read there was speculation it could be the next generation Galant, I thought to myself how non-concept like it appeared. That is, it looks like a normal vehicle that you might see on the road today. Most concept show cars usually have some pretty blatant exaggerated aspects to them. All glass roofs, bulging fenders, 22 inch tires etc..etc.. The ZT looks like a finished design doesn't it? There doesn't appear to be anything that needs to be "toned down" for the general population.

I would suggest that showing a concept so agreeable to the customer base at 2007 - 2008 auto shows might mean it could realistically be ramped up for production by 2009 - 2010? Isn't is a fact that most concept cars are either not built at all...or put into production within 1 or 2 years after they are displayed.

Of course this could be wishful thinking on my part.
  • stuckeystuckey Member Posts: 12
    I'm about ready to replace the tires on my 2004 LS Galant - p215/60R16. I was looking at Sumitomo H4, but was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. Thanks
  • bigruggedbigrugged Member Posts: 1
    i'm trying to find out what size monitors can go into a 06 galant se headrest, if any body knows please help me out
  • casolorzcasolorz Member Posts: 88
    How much do you think a ralliart galant with navigation would lease for? 36 mos, 12kmiles, zero down?
  • artie59artie59 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Galand LS with 30k on the clock. The dash board has a crack in the trim next to the radio. I brough the car to Smithtown Mitsu , they took a picture of the crack and sent it to the zone rep. That was 5 weeks ago and no reply. I have called the dealer and they tell me " We have left a message on his voice mail".
    Any ideas on what my next step should be? Who on the ladder can I call next? The dealer aparently can do nothing for me.
  • mack9mack9 Member Posts: 15
    The 2009 Mitsubishi Galant will NOT in fact be redesigned. Instead it will be refreshed again with new machine-finished alloy wheels for the Ralliart version, new front grille with the spilt theme eliminated, new redesigned sporty lower intake, new hood and bumper theme and slightly modified exterior headlight housings.

This means the planned redesign may be pushed to an extra two years, till 2010/2011 or at least a few years away from now.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    That's bad news. I've a '99 LS that has served me very well for 134K miles (and counting) and I would easily consider a new Galant to replace it. However, I really don't care for the current styling and wouldn't buy the current model. That the V6 still requires Premium doesn't help either.

While I like my Galant a lot, after nearly 9 solid years of ownership I am tiring of it. It is the longest I've ever owned a car. I'm not sure if I can go another couple of years before replacing it.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    For those who want an early look at the slight re-skin the Galant is receiving for the 2009 model year, please click below:

http://www.thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60461

It's not much of a change... Also, it is expected that the mechanicals are virtually identical to the current car.

So yes, we will likely have to wait until 2010 for the redesigned 10th generation Galant.
  • beaujestbeaujest Member Posts: 3
    Hi did you get anywhere with the galant heater module? I have the same issue. :confuse:
  • milkyway1milkyway1 Member Posts: 18
    Question:

Owners manual recommends that the timing belt on this Galant be replaced at 60k miles. What are your experiences? Do you guys think I can take chances up-till 90K (as it is recommended on Toyota Camry)? And what other things should be done along with the timing belt?

Thanks in advance
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    I wouldn't push it to 90K, but that's just me.

You should replace the water pump along with the timing belt. You should also replace any drive belts (these are belts that your car has in addition to the timing belt). The reason for replacing the drive belts is because they have to be removed anyways to access the timing belt. So, by having these replaced, tell the mechanic that you are willing to pay for the new drive belts themselves, but not for additional labor, as he would have to remove, and re install the old belts anyways.
  • jonathan1980jonathan1980 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2002 galant as of the other day the heat stopped working, however the blower still works but is only blowing cold air.

Does anyone know what the problem could be or have you ever had this issue?
  • jonathan1980jonathan1980 Member Posts: 5
    DID you get anywhere i have the same issue as well???
  • devjulesdevjules Member Posts: 1
    I have an 2002 Galant and I had the same problem starting last spring. It was summer in Michigan so I didn't worry about not having heat at that point. This fall I had the thermostat changed and that did not fix the problem. Two weeks after I had that replaced my car starting overheating and leaking coolant. I had to have it towed to a local repair garage. I just recieved a call that my heater core needed to be replaced and that it was leaking. I was told that it should take care of my heat problem and the overheating problem. Good luck, I would recommend to start saving up, this repair is going to cost me $855.00. The whole dash has to be removed to get to the heater core.
  • jojo45jojo45 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a silver 2004 Mitsubishi Galant and the paint is fading so extensively, it looks as though the car is 15 years old. I am a mother of three teenage boys and money is hard to come by. When I can finally afford to buy a car that was built in the same century ( 2007) that I am living in I EXPECT the automobile body paint not to have fading paint...expecially when the car was built in 2004.

I know I am embarrassed to drive my car in public., however, I put all my savings into buying this car., not knowing there was an external paint problem.

The only request that I have with Mitsubishi is that they reimburse all of the Galant owners, that have fading exterior body paint issues...a credit of a minumum of $1500.00 with customer's choice of colors to paint their vehicle at their nearest automobile body painting shop to have these vehicles repainted in a proper manner. If need be pay for rental vehicles for the duration of the painting process.

The least the Mitsubishi Car manufacturer can do is get us a supreme exterior automobile paint ( especially without lead) on their expense.

I have never been so disappointed in an automobile as I have with my 2004 Galant.

Maybe someone has a conscience within the corporation to make this right. Not all of Americans have the money to repaint their vehicles due to corporate neglect...

What a shame that we ( Americans) have to fight to get what we pay for.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jojo45jojo45 Member Posts: 3
    I would really like to know why my car throws hot air thru the circulation system ???? I have noticed sinced I've owned the car that the ventilation system blows hot air.. I really can't afford to run the air conditioning system year round.

It can be 40 degrees outside and the and controls "off" and the vents are still blowing hot air...WHY????? Abviously the air is coming from the engine... That should not be happening.

I would like Mitsubishi to come clean and recall all of these problems. The sooner the better....if they want their business to continue.

Does anyone know how to contact Mitsubishi directly????
  • clendonclendon Member Posts: 1
    Have you had any luck with a repair?
    My 02 Galant is doing the same thing. I replace the thermostat but still no heat.
    Clendon
  • ccrissy1ccrissy1 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone consider a class action suit against mitsubishi? My Galant is doing the same thing and it is a 2003! It should not be having trouble with heat or air. I might look into doing that!
  • rmcintoshrmcintosh Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2002 mitsubish and I cant get the heater to get hot water for heat, it stays in air conditoning mode all the time
    exactly what is your heater not doing? :confuse: :confuse:
    My car is past waranty this year and I cant afford a 75.00 dollar an hr. labor rate. This thing has been a gem until the waranty ran out
    my 4 cylinder has all the power needed and it gets around 30 MPH. all the time :)
    I would not trust that answer. the computer is not the cause of this. it seams to me that sometining is out of adjustment. How many miles have you driven it since the repair. Have you driven it in all kinds of situations such as cit rural high way etc.? ;)