Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• pj1952pj1952 Member Posts: 4
    I recently had to replace the battery in my gallant and now the car starts
    but once it gets warmed up it stalls ,what could be causing this also
    check engine light is on.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Well, when it warms up the idle is going to drop from the cold/start-up fast idle to the normal idle speed. Perhaps the idle sensor isn't operating correctly. Since you had to replace the battery the first thing I'd check would be all fuses. After that, take it to a place like AutoZone or another repair shop that will read your engine's computer codes for free/cheap. I would hope that the ECU would be throwing an error when the engine stalls and that code would point you towards a solution.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    my 2001 mitsubishi gallant has a new battery since then once it warms up it stalls and the rpms drop.
  • shreeka29shreeka29 Member Posts: 3
    :confuse: i recently replaced my battery in my 2000 galant also.and its doing the exact samething,when i turn the heat on it acts as if the car is about to cut off(rpms drop) and when i come to complete stop it acts as if its about to cut off(rpms drop).what could be causing this?help!!!!!
    See my post 2326 on the prior page for some suggestions.
    well I ended up taking my cat to the garage come to find out the battery was not bad to begin with, turns out the fuel injector needed
    to be cleaned running great now 130.00 later. hope this helps you.
  • shreeka29shreeka29 Member Posts: 3
    thanks for the insight! i just upgraded my gas from 87 to 93 octane,an checked my fuses and the problem seemed to disappear.i guess my galant was having a bad day,but i will keep the info you supplied in mind incase the problem comes back..thanks! :)
  • zelskidzelskid Member Posts: 9
    Just bought it with 12k miles. Any thoughts on the 2007?
    zelskid@hotmail.com
  • goper6goper6 Member Posts: 1
    I just came from Bell Mitsubishi in Rahway NJ and after the horrible service I swear on my mother's grave that I will never buy another Mitsubishi again.
    I own a 2000 Mitsubishi Galant and the problem was windshield washer fluid was not coming out to clean my windscreen, my highbeam and my foglights were also not working.
    After 3 visits and over $1000 dollars the windshield washer is only coming out of the passenger side duct and they messed up my alarm, when I press lock on my alarm remote it works, but unlock does not work.
    On a previous occasion when I took the car for servicing, when I got it back they had left the transmission fluid dipstick on top of the car engine and the hood closed, I drove for two weeks not knowing what they had done
    If you have a choice avoid Bell Mitsubishi in Rahway NJ.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi - welcome to CarSpace. Hate to see you blame the manufacturer for a bad dealer experience since they are independent operations. Perhaps another Mitsubishi dealer in your area would provide better service?

Let me suggest that you submit a Service Review of this dealership in our Dealer Ratings & Reviews section. That's the best way to alert other consumers in your area of what happened to you.
  • mirde98mirde98 Member Posts: 95
    Sorry to hear about you're problem. Its very true that service quality varies which shouldn't be. I had horrid experience at Fountain Mitsubishi in Orlando FL where i went with my friend to buy a new Eclipse and nobody never came out to greet us and help us. Needless to say he ended up buying a Hyundai Tiburon. I've always had outstanding service from Sport Mistubishi in Orlando FL :) And its a shame because basically bad customer service deters actual customers of choosing that brand again.
  • galantgurl24galantgurl24 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

As I'm on my way to work today, my service engine soon light comes on. It's an '06 that I've only had for a year. What could it possibly need? Yes, I do keep the oil changed.
  • hoodlatchhoodlatch Member Posts: 255
    I just got through repairing my wife's 02 Galant heater. Underneath the dash on the passenger side is an electric motor (part # MR958603), that controls the heater valve. When it goes out the valve can't open to allow the hot water (antifreeze) to the heater core, thus cold air.

Apparently this is a common flaw for that model. The little motor runs $150. at the dealer and you can replace it in an afternoon.

There are two electric motors adjacent to each other on the passenger side, so you want to make sure your dealing with the correct one. The one to the right controls the flapper, the one on the left controls the heater valve.

You'll have to remove the lower dash on passenger side and glove box. Once you've done that the air bag and a piece of heater duct will need to go also.

I disconnected the battery before unplugging the air bag. I'm paranoid when working around air bags for obvious reasons.

With a little patients and perserverence the task is not that difficult . :shades:
  • beaujestbeaujest Member Posts: 3
    Jonathan, you are the best! Does the right side (hidden by the passenger door) of the lower dash come off like the fuse box panel on the drivers side so that you can access the screws? I could really use a little defrost in my WA winter:) :cry:

Thanks much!!
    Beaujest
    Beau - assuming we're talking about an 02 Gallant, the answer is yep.

How I approached the situation was: slide the passenger seat all the way back, lean the back of seat all the way back, slid my little stool up against car door jam where I could lean across passenger seat and went to town.

You'll need: regular flat screwdriver, stubby Phillips screwdriver, 10mm socket on 1/4in drive ratchet with 8in extension, a little bitty screwdriver for unplugging those confounded wire plugs, and a drop-light.

Don't forget to disconnect the ground lug to battery before you mess with air-bag.

As an interim till I could get the new part, I took the old motor drive off and manually opened the little valve to get the heat back on.

Good luck and happy motoring. :shades:
  • beaujestbeaujest Member Posts: 3
    Jonathan!!! Thanks again. It is an 02 galant and I'm going to tackle it soon. Does the dash piece have to come off all around the radio? I'm not sure a chiltons is going to help and since you've already been through it... I've got some of the kick panels out of the way and the glove box is out, I guess I'm being overly cautious because I'm not sure when they are going to opt for screws and when they will use some kind of a fastener that is supposed to pop out with the right amount of pressure. If you could do everything from the passenger door, I might be making a mountain out of a mole hill here.. Any more wisdom that you could impart would be appreciated.
    Thanks again!
    Beau - the plastic trim piece around the radio/heater control panel pops off. You don't really need a manual for this one. It's fairly straight forward. If you need a little extra insurance use your phone camera and take a few pics as you disassemble to help with reassemble. - John :)
  • sisco40sisco40 Member Posts: 1
    i just bought mitsubishi galant 2002,and when i try to start engine i have green light with the key and i can't start engine.Engine is locked.Can anybody help me with that.How i can unlock engine
  • topertoper Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1990 galant, can someone post pic or give me site to veiw, because im about to start restoration of my car next month, i just want to have some good ideas before rebuilding, thanx
  • psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    www.thegalantcenter.net

Just remember to come back here. :-)
    If you mean there's a dash light that's green outlining a key, that's the security system. It should light for a few seconds when you arm the system with the button on the key fob. If that light isn't going out, the alarm probably hasn't been turned off.

If you don't have the fob, try unlocking the car doors with the key before starting the engine. In my '99 that does turn off the alarm.
  • stormchaser81stormchaser81 Member Posts: 1
    I'm a recent owner of a 2001 Galant and what I've noticed lately has me concerned and so I'm in search of answers. Just a little history about the car I bought the car about a year ago March 07' when it had 89,000 miles on it, it is now April 08' and it has 103,500 miles on it. The previous owner had not hinted of any possible transmission issues but as of late I've noticed in the past few months a particular slipping happening between the first and second gears when applying the gas pedal. When I take my foot off the pedal and let it idle down then immediately reapply when its transitioning into 2nd it slips with a minor jolt its less likely to happen when I apply the gas slowly. However today while driving on a local highway I set the accelerator at 70mph where it slipped again when it never had in the past at higher speeds. I don't believe the car has had its transmission fluid replaced so I'm assuming thats something I should pursue in hopes that it will solve the problem rather then outright replacing transmission. To anyone who could provide feedback I would gratefully appreciate it!
  • coolarrowcoolarrow Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Galant 6 Cyl.. Whenever I make a left turn I get a loud noise on the passenger side by the glove comp.Water leaks under the dash on the passenger side. Only when AC is on.What gives? Thanks
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    Sorry if this is too late, just did not see your question earlier.
    I have a 2001 Galant ES with 135K. At around 90K I had the routine ATF replaced at a local shop. Quite later, at around 99K at about 70 MpH the transmission slipped out of gear and the "Check Engine" light came on. Took it to a dealer, and according to them the reason was a substandard transmission fluid. Replaced the fluid and haven't had any issues ever since. What I've read is that Mitsu transmissions are quite picky regarding the fluid and only the particular brand specified must be used. The word was that most of the shops use a generic fluid and add stuff to bring it to specs, but not sure how true that is, though is sounds logical.
    So, I agree with you - go to a dealer and have them flush the tranny. It's quite possible that would do it, and probably the transmission was not harmed.
    Good luck!
  • dionniedionnie Member Posts: 5
    I bought my 07 Galant Ralliart brand new in Jan. 07. I absolutely love it.
    However, I just recently noticed sidewall separation on the front left tire. (Goodyear Eagle RS-A P235/45R18). Any problems with yours?
    Our tires were all changed by CarMax. My daughter destroyed one by limping home on a flat. $175!!!!!!
    What color is yours?
    Been happy with the car/
  • dionniedionnie Member Posts: 5
    Mine is Sunset Pearlescent (orange).
    As for the tires, I found that Goodyear has offered silent recalls on these tires on the Nissan Maxima's. I spoke with a manager at our local Goodyear dealer, who stated that all four tires may be replaced, but I need to contact Goodyear's customer relations department.
    our color is the same. Her friends are always impressed with the looks. If the gas keeps going up, we may buy it from her, since we drive less.
  • celica4jaycelica4jay Member Posts: 1
    I OWN A 2001 MITSU GALANT. HELP ME WITH THIS...I HAVE NOTICE THAT MY REV LIMIT SOMETIMES GOES DOWN TO 4000 RPM. IT NORMALLY KICKS IN AT MUCH HIGHER RPM. IT KICKED IN LAST NIGHT AT 4000, AND THIS MORNING IT KICKED IN OVER 7000 RPM. CAN ANYONE HELP ME? :confuse:
  • chi_ralliartchi_ralliart Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if anyone knew how to install an IPOD connection to the sterio in a 2007 gallant ralliart? Or where this can be done? I heard if you the car comes with the navigation then it cannot be done. Any suggestions? Thanks,
  • dbenjamindbenjamin Member Posts: 1
    I got the same problem on a 1999, did you get an answer yet?
  • chi_ralliartchi_ralliart Member Posts: 2
    Are you asking about the IPOD connection? If so, no I have not heard anything yet.
  • csilvermancsilverman Member Posts: 1
    I just had my "service engine soon" light pop on in my 2000 Mitsubishi Glant. I have already gone ahead and replaced the catalytic converter and both oxygen sensors. The light has popped on again, with the same P0420 code as before. Any ideas? Someone mentioned a possible electrical issue with the computer.
  • spider_0072spider_0072 Member Posts: 4
    I'm having the same issue with my '01 grand prix. Did you find a resolution yet for this problem?
  • jojo45jojo45 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 04 Galant 4 cyl. Grey...the paint is crap...faded all over the place..roof ...door handles..side panels...the car manufacturer needs to step up to the plate and repaint. :mad: While driving...the interior of the car gets warm.. why?? Not just on a hot day :sick: ...then........why is there no Haynes repair manual available for Mitsubishi's from 04 to current.???? I would like to be included on a class action suite for paint and the engine heat blowing into the interior of the car.

How can this be done. :confuse:
  • scottisherescottishere Member Posts: 3
    Greetings, everyone. I have a 2006 Galant ES that is getting close to the 60K mark. So far, it has been a wonderful car. It's our only car and I use it for a long work commute. I haven't had a single issue with it and it still looks and drives great. By the time I pay off the car, I'll be well over the 120K mark. How is long-term reliability for the Mitsubishi Galant? Should I reasonably be able to keep it for very long past the pay off date, provided that maintenance is kept up on it and nothing calamitous happens, such as a major car wreck?

Thanks! :)
    Wow, you drive a lot. The amount of driving I do has slowed a lot in recent months as I can now work from home the bulk of the week. So I'm not putting miles on my '99 LS V6 as fast as I used to. That said, right now it has just over 143K and has only had a couple of repairs (totaling nicely under $1000) that wouldn't be considered maintenance.

Speaking of maintenance, I do maintain my vehicles. It has had the timing belt replaced twice (60K, 120K), trans fluid replaced every 30K, and so on. I believe in general that if you take care of a car it will take care of you. At 120K I did preemptively replace the water pump when I did the timing belt as water pumps tend to last 120-150K miles and there's no real extra labor involved since they had it opened up for the timing belt. Recently I changed to synthetic oil so I can go longer between changes.

My Galant, which is the generation prior to your, has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    Wow, my experience with the Galant is very similar to yours. Mine is a 2001 ES with 140K. Apparently good maintenance will make it run for a very long time. I changed the timing belt at 60K and 120K, with the water pump as preventive maintenance with the 120K timing belt. I haven't switched to synthetic oil though. So far I've never had to add oil between changes. Total repairs so far - 1,800, although about 600 is due to a local repair shop's incompetence.
    I've been thinking of replacing it, just because of its age, but it runs so well, I'm probably going to keep it for another year.
  • scottisherescottishere Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. It's good to know that I can reasonably expect good service from the Galant as long as I keep up the maintenance on it. I'll have the timing belt replaced within the next month or so. Gas mileage is pretty good with it too -- around 25 mpg in a mix of city and highway driving.

I wish I worked closer to home, but it's a good job and the commute really isn't that bad compared to what other people here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area have.

Thanks again! :)
    My daughter gets 15-18 city and 23-26 highway on a 2007Galant Ralliart 258hp v-6
    27.3 on my last tank. '99 LS V6, 143K miles. Consisted of about 220 highway miles at speeds from 55-80 (differing conditions) plus another 100 or so city (suburban, not true stop-n-go) miles.
    That is really great mileage especially on a ten year old car.
    Seems like you got maybe 25 city/ 30 highway
    30 highway is the highest I've ever achieved and that only once. 28 is common enough. I think what is mostly underrated is the city mileage. Original EPA was 19, revised is 17. I've never gotten under 19 for a tank and a pure city tank will generally return around 23.

And I'm not known for being easy on the pedal. I mostly drive with moderate acceleration but I have to periodically live up to my history of growing up within walking distance of the Indy 500. :)
  • the_guythe_guy Member Posts: 17
    hi silverman, what did you do about the service engine light? is the problem fixed.
  • makigrlmakigrl Member Posts: 19
    How does the reliability and the amount of effort you have to put in your Galant differ from other cars out there. You have to put a lot of money and stuff into keeping something like bmw running properly. I would read people saying something like $100 a month just to keep it well maintained. You really need to do that to keep it reliable. For some people they probably don't have to time or as much knowledge to keep a car like a BMW without it later needing to be fixed. The one reason a person might get a Galant cause its japanese or because its pretty reliable and isn't expensive to service as something european. I would like to buy a European car sometime but they all seem have some sort of problems that makes them costly to fix. If you don't want to be another person with a Toyota or Honda thats why I would get a Galant.
    The headlight sockets (not the bulbs) keep melting and burning out. Both passenger and driver sides, every 3-6 months. It is 2000 Galant 4 cyl. Does anyone else have this problem, or know the reason? This part is not sold in stores, so have to order with the dealer everytime :(
    Brittany chose the Ralliart because of the unique orange color, the leather seats, 18in wheels,GPS, and all the electronics (fuel usage, est miles left in tank, etc). With it came the higher performance engine that sucks gas. The car reports her mileage on her trips. Around town, here in South Florida, it's 15-18. On the road she sees 23-26.
    Headlights draw a lot of amps. High amps and poor connections make heat which makes oxidation, which makes bad connection worse, until meltdown occurs.t
  • near_2waternear_2water Member Posts: 5
    Hello folks I have a question maybe some of you can answer. My 03 Galants heater is no long working. The fan works fine but is blowing cold air. I changed the thermostat but i'm not having any luck with the new one. I'm wondering if it could be the heater control valve that went out except I don't know if this model incorporates a heater control valve in it's system. If so where is it and will it make a loud rattling noise underneath the dash if it is going out? Thanks for any clues you may have.
    I get screeching noise (like a fast rotating axle with no lubrication) on cold days. It only happens at startup and low speeds. Any ideas?
    '00 Mits Galant 2.4L, 110K