Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• Options
    ultratechultratech Member Posts: 142
    Yeah why not, take your time and share with us, also tells us what steps you took, what went wrong, what the dealer did.. and whatever .. the more we know the better !

---but remember, getting a lemon is bad luck ...even luxury cars has lemons.... even my lemonade is made with lemons LOL!
  • Options
    kim31kimkim31kim Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a new 2000 ES V6 Galant... I know that this stuff is in the manual... but i was just curious as to what you guys do for maintenance and at what times? I would like to use synthetic oil, but was told that you must wait a bit before beginning to use it.. any tips on keeping my new galant in great shape?

Thanks
    Kim
  • Options
    workathomeworkathome Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone done anything to their leather seats for care & protection ? what did you use ? where did you get it? did you clean it first? etc...
    thanks
  • Options
    galant101galant101 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 Galant with 19,000 miles and I want to upgrade the shocks and struts. Any one know where I can get KYB or Bilstein shocks?? I haven't seen any on the net. Any one have information on this???
  • Options
    vac23vac23 Member Posts: 118
    Maintanence-I generally follow the serve main. schedule in the manuel. I switched to Syn. oil on my '99 GTZ @ about 1k miles. I usually change the oil 5mo/5kmiles. depending on the type of driving I've been doing. If 80% was hi-way I extend it to 6-7kmiles. I currently have almost 25k miles & no problems (knock on wood :-)

Leather care-I got some turtle wax leather cleaner/conditioner. Don't like it won't use it again. I'm got to start using lexol leather cleaner and conditioner. I've used it on my Eclipse GSX and noticed it did a better job then turtle wax (that's what I get for being cheap :-)

performance shocks-try this site. A few people have already gotten them on their galants. Read though the post. you'll find quite a bit of info.

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bigrichs2kgalantcenter
  • Options
    I removed the sticker from the front of the gearshift that said 'hold brake to go to drive' (something like that anyway).. now i have an 'icky' sticky mark right there and soap and water just wont take it up.. do you guys recommend anything to get it up? (or did you guys leave your sticker there? I probably should have)

Thanks!
    Kim
  • Options
    marcinmarcin Member Posts: 64
    Kim,
    try alcohol (not Absolute, j/k) or a tar remover. But be careful, it might eat up the plastic if you put too much.

vac23
    I have 24+K miles on my 99 ES and change oil every 3k. Mostly H-way, I make 60+ miles a day to work and back. Shouldn't oil change be done "every 3000 miles" ???

marcin
  • Options
    Use a little rubbing alcohal & that should get rid of the sticky resdue. Just don't rub too hard.

If you're using dino oil & the rule to follow would be to change the oil every 3k miles. But since I'm using synthetic oil I can extend the oil change interval a little longer. Synthetic oil doesn't "break down" as quickly as dino oil so that's why you can extend the oil change interval. In my post above I mentioned changing the oil at time at 6k miles. I only do that if I've accumulated alot of miles from mostly hi-way driving. I take quite a few long distance trips 250+ miles one way. With long distance trips you don't usually stop and start the car as much as on short trips around town. Most engine wear comes from starting the car as most of the oil is in the bottom of the pan & not circulating around the engine. What kind of oil are you using?
  • Options
    My 2000 ES is still at 1500 miles after like 7 months hehehe ... not much driving but school ... but soon I'll need oil change ... I don't know if it's good idea to take it to local shop where they just put the cheapest oil they can find .

---BTW I'm offering $30 for your mudguards, used is fine since new so damn expensive..
  • Options
    If you know how to change your own oil & don't mind don't it. Change it yourself so you know what you put in. I have the V6 & it's a piece of cake. No hard to reach places. Don't know if that's true for the I4 also. If you get your oil changed at a shop you can usually ask for a particular brand of oil/filter if they carry them
  • Options
    marak88marak88 Member Posts: 57
    Yes, I have done the same thing, I hated that sticker, I went to the store and I bought a a bottle of stuff called GOO GONE for a bout $2, this stuff was a amazing, it takes any thing sticky like and some glue like substances off, I used it on mine it came right off :-), just don't let it sit for too long on your plastic.
    regards
  • Options
    Hey all..

I appreciate the tips on removing the sticky stuff from my car... It has really been bugging me...

Ya know, I also removed the "dealership sticker' that was on the back of my car... It just looked kinda tacky.. anyway, I removed it but then yesterday I took my car in for a 'detailing'... they said that they would fill it up with gas and get it fancy clean if i brought it in yesterday, since they didnt have time to do it before i left with it friday.. (just bought it on friday).. anwyay, get this.. not only did they NOT fill my tank up with gas like they said they would... they put the STICKER BACK ON! ... yep, and it was many lil letters, soo i had to take it all back off.. that kinda made me mad because its my car now and not theirs to be putting stickers all over! oh well, i was going to complain but it probably wouldnt do much..

I have the light gray interior.... i love the color but figure it will probably show dirt/wear easy... I put some scotchguard spray on the seats so hopefully that will help.. Oh, I didnt mention that i have a 40lb Brittany (dog) that goes everywhere with me... He is very clean, but just in case I put down a towel covering the backseat to prevent any paw damage..
    I know, Im a crazy 'dog person'... cant believe i let him have free roam of my car..

:)

have a good day all!
    kim

ps. do you guys know of any other galant message baords? I have only found some that are mainly for 'racing' type stuff..
  • Options
    lmb662lmb662 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in purchasing a 2000 Galant LSV6 and was wondering if anyone is having problems with their car. I had a 86 Galant and had to replace the transmission 3 times in 4 years. Was very thankful for the warranty. Thanks for any input.
  • Options
    texrobintexrobin Member Posts: 13
    I've had my 2000 ES V6 for a month now and really love it. Every time I get in the car I think to myself... I'm so glad I went with the Galant. I was riding the fence between the Accord and Galant for a long time. Now every time I see an Accord, I think... BORING! Anyway, I may not get the resale value of the Accord 6-7 years down the road, but I also am paying less that $900 to finance my car for 5 years! Thanks to everyone who has put their .02 on this board because it helped me in my purchase.
  • Options
    marak88marak88 Member Posts: 57
    Hello to all

Does any one know how to program a new keyless entry remote to the car keyless entry system. I bought a replacement remote and is does not work on my car, I asked the dealer and they said that it needed to be programed (they charge $40-65 to program it).

any responses are much appreciated.

regards
  • Options
    Hello all..

Just realized that the 2000 galants require premium gas... do you guys all use this? what happens if ya dont? can ya use middle grade gas?? (i always use BP/Exxon/namebrand etc)

Thanks
    Kim

(I hate paying high premium gas prices when the other stuff might work as well... ) :) )
  • Options
    vivonavivona Member Posts: 410
    lmb662--The 1986 transmission problem was completely fixed by the 1987 model year. As soon as Mitsubishi discovered the problem, they extended the warranty on all 86 Galants to 7 years. I had the 1987 model and ran it 110,000 miles without incident. The current Galant has no known transmission problems.
  • Options
    blf2blf2 Member Posts: 38
    In the manual it states you can use 87 or better, but to realize the full performance of the motor, 91 octane is recommended. The dealer told me to use the mid-grade(88 octane here in New Mexico), and every 6th or 7th fillup use the 91 octane to assist in keeping the fuel injectors clean. I've been using the mid-grade with no pinging or sluggishness and will continue to do so unless I start noticing poor performance.
  • Options
    I use midgrade 89 here in South Cali, only because when my sister bought her new car in 1994 she's been using 89 and the car still runs good .. so I'll just follow her steps and try to eat less to cover the difference LOL !!!

About the remote, I've also seen people selling them on ebay for $10 bucks ... the seller says dealer usually programs them for free ... you can try emailing them like if you're asking before you bid...
  • Options
    Anyone think there is too much stuff on the back of the car? I did .... luckly, (kim31kim), I didn't have to deal with "dealer sticker's" Most people don't know what kind of car the galant is until they look at the back and it says, MITSUBISHI in huge chrome letters. I decided that they should keep on wondering. I pulled off the chrome Mitsu name. It was easy, get a hair dryer and heat up the "sticky" stuff, then pull that thing off from one side going SLOWLY. Be careful to not scratch the paint with the "pryer". There are no holes underneath. Well, after that cheap piece of chrome "want-to-be" came off and I hit it with a little rubbing alcohol, WOW, it looked good. hmmmm, I don't like that big RED diamond thing (you could paint it the same color as your car) but I decided that it would be better to come off.. well, there are holes underneath that you will have to fill IF you take it off.
    All in All, my car looks GOOD with the "customizing" I did. It gives it a cleaner look!!

00 LS from Chicago
  • Options
    Has anyone put 17' or bigger rims on there car?
  • Options
    check the galant2k club at yahoo, lots of people there with pics of 17 and 18 .
  • Options
    jak7jak7 Member Posts: 2
    I use 87 Octane in my 2000 V6 ES and it works great. No pinging etc... Also plan on changing my oil as recommended in the manual. I've talked to several mechanics and they tell me everyu 3000 isn't necessary. He told me they tell foks that just to get the extra $$$$ and that you can easily go 7K miles before you really need to do an oil change unless you drive in a lot of dust.
  • Options
    paul1967paul1967 Member Posts: 2
    The first problem we had was there was not smooth acceleration, and the lifters were making a lot of noise. Brought it to dealer they put new plugs in it said it was ok. couple of days later car was running the same way, brought it back, dealer than replaced the plugs again, and replaced all the lifters.Still wasn't right,brought it back again, this time they did a compression test and found one of the cylinders low ,took apart and replaced intake+exhaust valves,sent head to machine shop.Got it back and still wasn't right,brought it back again had to take head apart again and fix. Got it back again still had eneven acceleration,but they said that was the smart transmission not learning how I drive the car after my wife drives it all week,so thats where we stand on that problem.Than a few months later the heater core went,took them a week to fix that,now car stinks inside.
    The car has just turned 8000 miles, and has been in the shop an average of once a month.
  • Options
    marcinmarcin Member Posts: 64
    25k and running smooth, just some small rattles (VIN plate, glove box, driver side pillar)

marcin
    '99 Galant ES
  • Options
    dianne331dianne331 Member Posts: 16
    I just bought a silver 2000 Galant from Enterprise Rent-A-Car. After driving a Protege for over nine years, this takes some getting used to. The vehicle had 16k miles on it when I bought it. No doubt some really rough miles considering it was a rental car.

I took it on a two-hour trip yesterday, all highway driving. My neck and shoulders were killing me at the end of the drive. My legs were cramped beyond belief, the seatbelt chocked me until I was blue in the face, the headlights were so dim I felt like I was driving in a tunnel, but hey, the CD player works, no coffee has spilled out of my cup in the holder and it has very good pick-up.

Two mechanics I spoke with before buying the car commented on how comfortable they thought the seats are.
  • Options
    Well Paul's car sounds pretty bad ... hmm, don't know if lemon law applies to non-safety issues, but if it does... get another one... or take it to different dealer... maybe their mechanic just sucks...

Dianne,
    Maybe you're not used to the galant and a sudden 2 hr drive after you picked it up .... my sister has a 94 protege, and the seats are not as comfortable, and leg space is even shorter than the galant.

Update on My galant:
    8 months, only 1600 miles .... and still nothing to complain about .. (only dreaming about new 17" rims)
  • Options
    dianne331dianne331 Member Posts: 16
    UltraTech, that is what I am hoping, that I just wasn't used to it. Have you driven in your sister's Protege? Big difference from the Galant, huh? That is strange about the leg room. I agree, it would seem logical that there is more leg room in the Galant, and I am 6'0" tall! Go figure. But I do have to say something that will not change is those seat belts. At the risk of sounding like Dr. Seuss, I don't like them in the Galant, I do not like them that night on my body.
  • Options
    I feel bad for Paul. Sounds like he just got the bad apple/lemon. But Dianne, I hate to say this, but I would NEVER buy a car from a rental car company. Sounds like you might have a case of buyer's remorse. I can't imagine going from a protege to a Galant and having less leg room. I'm sure too that you are just not use to the car yet. I went from a Mazda 626 to my Galant and it took me about a week to get use to all the differences.

All I know is that I researched a lot before buying my new car and I couldn't be happier with my Galant. I think what the car buying experience boils down to is if you had a horrible experience, bought it hastly or didn't do any homework (like I did my Mazda 626), you're more likely to dislike your car. Therefore, will try non-stop to find reasons to dislike the car. Honestly, I never had a single mechanical problem with my 626, but I complained about it for 3 years straight.
  • Options
    epikgtzepikgtz Member Posts: 18
    What exactly is the problem with the seatbelts? To me a belt is a belt is a belt. And aren't the seatbelts adjustable in the ES? I've got a '00 GTZ, and mine has a height adjustment on the door. I'm 6'2" so I keep the belt all the way at the top, and my wife is 5'1" and about 3/4 of the way down seems to be her preferred setting.
  • Options
    suzieq1suzieq1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi!

I own a '94 Mitsubishi Galant LS. I like the car but I am having a problem w/the keyless entry system having a mind of its own. I press unlock, it unlocks and locks quickly(will do this 4-5 times b4 finally unlocking). At times when I unlock from inside the car, get out close the door all 4 doors will lock. Can anyone offer any suggestions or solutions?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Suzieq1
  • Options
    boston14boston14 Member Posts: 111
    More miles on it. I have 8000 since I got it last Nov and the engine and transimission IMO have improved their performance. I have driven a 2000 Camry and thought the Galant had a sweeter sounding rev to it and better shifts from the automatic. The only Midsize car I have driven aside from those two is the Nissan Altima. The Altima has a very very good engin but during is NOT as comfortable on the body as the Galant. I drove the Altima as a rental and after a 7 hr drive my body was tired from it. That has never happened to me from the Galant. To those who are not happy with the Galant I am suprised as it is a underated car. I love my car and would say It is better than a Camry and Altima.
  • Options
    bventbvent Member Posts: 5
    I also don't understand the problem with the seatbelts. I'm 6'4" and have no problems with the seatbelts, though my legs do get a bit cramped on a long drive.

I can't imagine buying a car from a rental car company knowing the horrendous abuse it has taken already. I hope you got a great deal.

In comparison to the Altima, I agree with your assessment. The Altima does have a GREAT engine and transmission, but is not as comfortable or as stylish (though I do like the back armrest, trunk release button on the keyless remote, and behind seat book holder). But when I got my Galant, I couldn't find a better finance rate than 1.9% for 60 months.

I've had mine since May and have 3k miles and just love the car....
  • Options
    epikgtzepikgtz Member Posts: 18
    I just hit 2000 miles on my '00 GTZ and also hit my first 'concern.' It seems unless my map lights are in the "off" position they don't go off when the car is shut off, even when the doors are closed.

Normally I keep the map lights on "door" which means they are only supposed to go on when I open the doors, and then go back off again when the doors are closed. Now the map lights stay on all the time after the car is shut off, unless all the doors are closed and I lock the car via the key remote. (Even locking the doors with the regular switch doesn't do it.)

Anyone else heard of this before?
  • Options
    I haven't heard of the maplights staying on, but in earlier posts I read that some had lenses that were falling out. Our GTZ has 1500 miles, we had a slight paint defect on the hood(Black shows everything)there was a 3" patch that had some bubbling(currently being handled by warranty). I also noticed on the drivers side woodgrain control panel in the door, that there appear to be cracks inside the indents for the power window switches. I pushed on them trying to see if they were indeed cracks or if they were part of the plastic molding,they didn't seperate like they were cracked but they sure look like cracks. Anyone out there, if you could examine your door switch panels and let me know if they look like they're cracked I'd apreciate it, just for piece of mind thanks!
  • Options
    I wouldn't buy a rental car neither since I hear all those stories... but some poeple like me do take care of rental cars... so we all wish you luck with your car.

I went and check about those little cracks that blf2 was talking about, but don't really notice anything...

Now that I've driven 1800 miles, I feel like the car knows me already. Before when i pressed the gas, the acceleration would jump to like 3000 rpm right away, but now, it does the contant.

About the keyless entry, some of the times i press unlock and all the doors unlocks, it happened to me 2 times ... is there a trick to make it happen all the times? also with different combination of the lock/unlock button, I get the car to flash the emergency lights ... anyone know how to do that?
  • Options
    Ultratech,
    If you already know this or your remote is acting up then disregard...

Your remote should work like this. Press "unlock" once and it only unlocks the driver's side door and the lights should flash to let you know it worked. Hit it immediately a second time and it should unlock the rest of the doors and the lights should flash again. If your remote is not doing this, I would ask the dealership about this because it's a very convenient feature.
  • Options
    henji888henji888 Member Posts: 1
    is there any aftermarket stuff for the 2001-GTZ?
    stuff to give the engine a little bit more juice...can someone recommand me some website??
  • Options
    I took a look at mines & they appears to be cracks on the front passager side switch on the driver's panel. Not sure if it's cracked or like that. Ran my finger nail over it & you can feel little "bumps" where the lines are.
  • Options
    osteomanosteoman Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to purchase a new 2001 Green LS. I have a dealership that is getting one in within the next week. I've read alot and have done my homework but I still have one question. What percentage over invoice will most of these dealers go for? Edmunds recommends 4-8 percent as being reasonable. However 2-4 percent seems more in line to me. Anyone out there want to share with me what they paid over invoice or how much they got off the sticker after negotiations. Any help is appreciated.
  • Options
    Thanx vac for the crack observation, looking more closely it appears to be part of the mold for the panel, nice to know I'm not the only one though.
    Osteoman, as far as pricing goes, My post #169, and fellow GTZ owners posts at 187 &188 will tell you our prices. We all paid over invoice, and since they were GTZ's they wont deal as much due to their limited numbers. I got mine for about$1000 under MSRP but I also got 100% financed at 1.9%-I think I got a darn good deal. Since yours is a 2001 and an LS(still fairly rare)
    they probably wont offer the low rate financing or any rebate, but should be able to get the price right between invoice and MSRP, I'm guessing about $1500 off the sticker. Since the model is one of the first of the 2001's you might not find such a great deal. You'd be better off IMO, to try and locate a 2000 LS and take advantage of year-end deals or look it up at www.carmax.com I've heard good things about them from other posters on this page. Good luck, the LS is a great package, hope you get a nice deal to boot!
  • Options
    For info on stuff to midify, check yahoo's galant club, they have tons of stuff there ..
    About Price, it's usually hard to negotite on very new models, like the 2001 at this time of the year .. and specially the LS, since it's the higher model ... check carsdirect.com just for comparison.

Its funny how you said 2-4 % is best in line to me... if you ask me, 50% below invoice would be the best for me LOL !! :-)
  • Options
    steve109steve109 Member Posts: 13
    This may be an isolated incident, but before I go on any roadtrips, I always look around under the hood to check oil, antifreeze, etc., and I found that the cap to the brake fluid resevoir had somehow become loose and splashed brake fluid around. Who knows. Could have been vibration. I have a '00 ES 4cyl. with 12K miles. Might want to give it a twist to make sure it's on tight.
  • Options
    upsman1upsman1 Member Posts: 2
    Owner of a 2000 es v6 with about 6000 miles, problem free till about 6 weeks ago, my abs light went on, it would go on and off for about a week, the brakes still worked fine except for the anti lock, didn't think this was a major problem and it wasn't except for the mechanic at the dealer. After waiting for 5 hrs he comes back to me and tells me my abs sensor needs to be replaced but it is not in stock, so I reschedule for the following week. When I return to the dealer the following week they get right to work and get done in a record 2 1/2 hrs! It's early so I decide to head for the beach in my new car with a new abs sensor and a big smile on my face. So I get to my third stop light and you guessed it, the abs light comes back on :( so I go back and they tell me it might be electrical and they won't guarantee it will get done that day (they have to check all the wires...yikes) so I reschedule for the following week. So I bring it back, this time I leave it, 6pm rolls around, I call the service department and they are closed! Not even a phone call to let me know how my baby is doing(no respect). Next morning I call and give them and earfull, they feel they haven't done anything wrong to this point! Finally... I call back at 5 and it's done so I go to pick it up, I inspect the exterior before i get in, I notice my hood is not level with the side fender ( now I'm really pissed). I decide to pop open the hood before I set this place on fire, and what do I find...the mechanic's tools are still in the engine compartment! ( ALL DEALERS SUCK!! ) I don't want to mention names but this one was in Jersey City? Anyway, when I closed the hood everything was level so I didn't make a big stink about it and besides I'm really enjoying this extendable mirror scope amajig. Oh, the anti lock light has not come on again(had to resecure a connector at A22.. whatever that means) and they work!
    Other then that, car is alot of fun and remember all you complaining people with an ES V6 you probably paid less then 20k that is a steal!
    I'm sorry your aloud to complain.
    bye
  • Options
    cgacga Member Posts: 23
    "1st problem (upsman1)" --

I have a 2000 V4 Galant with about 5,100 miles (bought new) and sympathize with your dealer problem. While I have not had the dealership actually work on my car, they steadfastly refuse to acknowledge the existence of a hestitation (at around 30mph, under light throttle) which should be noticeable as abnormal to any journeyman mechanic. And I've heard that Mits. dealers do not normally stock a large supply of parts and often must order what they need, which often puts a hardship on owners.

My one and only (not so) "local" dealer is closed on Saturdays, closes early M-F, and always seems to have only one mechanic on duty, who is of course perpetually busy and unapproachable.

I like my Galant and would recommend one. But before considering a purchase, I would advise any potential buyers to spend a couple of hours in the service waiting room and judge for yourself. Ask the owners how they've been treated. From my point of view one of the main reasons for buying new is the warranty, but this is only as good as the company behind it. A one year old used Galant at a suitably used (as cheap as possible) price (deprecation is stiff, for some reason, on these) seems the best way to go.

Merely my two cents worth....
  • Options
    audiologistaudiologist Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1 mo. old 2000 Galant ES. When the windows are down, the noise from the exhaust seems unreasonably loud. It has a high pitch sputtering, much like a 63 VW beetle. I brought this to the attention of my dealer,(while they were repairing damage done to the bumper at their dealership) and he said it is "inherent in the exhaust of all galants." I want to know if all galants are truly loud, or if I was getting the brush-off.
  • Options
    floridianfloridian Member Posts: 219
    audiologst: That dealer is pulling your leg ( or ear maby)My wife's 1999 Galant is super quiet. I actually prefer a little "sporty rap" to the exhaust of my cars anyway. I installed one of those "coffee can" exhaust tips ( I'm NO boy racer either) to effect a little rumble but even that did not raise the decibels one iota. Take your car back and MAKE them inspect the exhaust system. If it's noisy then sumthin is not right ! Drive another one of their cars and see if it has the same noise, I doubt if it will. Look at it this way tho, some folks pay BIG bucks to make their exhaust louder.You are getting it for free.

Floridian
  • Options
    Sounds like you live where I do!!! My local dealer is the same way. I usually drive about an hr away to have my car serviced on the weekend. Why aren't there more mitsu dealers around?
  • Options
    Well, the only normal noice that most of us on the 4 cyl have is the loud thing under the hood, which gets louder with the A/C on .. but I can live with that ... good thing it goes away after like 5 min of driving ... oh well.. other than that nothing to complain so far ... and hopefully never have to complain ...
    Well, browning Mitsu here in South Cali has a very good service department , very helpful people too... or maybe they were in a good mood the day I went.
  • Options
    cbnearlacbnearla Member Posts: 28
    I've had my ES-V6 for about 8 weeks now. 1600 mi with no problems so far. I replaced the steel wheels with alloys about 2 weeks after purchase. When the rear wheels came off I was surprised to see that the wheel hubs looked rusty. The fronts are normal. Anybody else see this on their ES-V6? What could have caused them to become rusty? The car had only 19 mi. at purchase. What would be the easiest way to remove the rusty look, as the rusty look can be seen through the alloys?