Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Galant

1434445464749»

Comments

• fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Can't help much on the ceiling material but the black outside trim piece .. I had a soft cloth car wash snag the front of one on the '99 Galant I used to have. I didn't see it at the time but it eventually became loose. I just had the dealer replace it. That was probably about $200 installed back in 2002 when it happened. The piece itself just clips in IIRC so if you can get one either new or from a junk yard you could probably install it yourself.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • hmachmac Member Posts: 1
    Hey i'm new here, recently bought a 1997 Galant automatic which was imported from japan in 2005. When at a standstill, the car seems to idle erratically. The engine speed goes between 1000-1200rpm up and down constantly when waiting at lights etc. What kind of problem would you associate this with? Also the "check oil" warning light flickers on and off when the car is cold, even though the oil was replaced recently. Thanks for your help
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    The cheapest fix for a sagging headliner is thumb tacks, but you can go to an auto parts store (Advance Auto Parts, Auto Zone, etc) and they actually have something similar to a thumb tack but it screws in. They're both pretty cheap. You can have the headliner re-done fairly cheap also, but the tacks are the cheapest, easiest fix.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    So, the Bluetooth is working properly now, I think the problem was actually with the phone. I have a Blackberry Tour, and I restarted it and it seemed to fix the problem. The fan blower motor has not went out yet, and seems to have improved, but I'm still monitoring it closely. I'm still about 2500 miles away from the next service, so hopefully it'll hold out and I'll get it checked out then. If it gets worse, I'll take it in.
    Lots of possibilities but, assuming the engine is at operating temp, a 1000+ idle sounds awfully high so I'd start with the idle controls/sensors. Most cars idle around 500-800 RPMs.

Other thoughts revolve around fuel & air intake so sensors & filters for those could be checked. Also worth looking into are major electrical items like the alternator and ECU/ECM.

But before all that, since this is a JDM vehicle, make sure you're putting in gas with an octane rating at least as high as what they use in Japan. They use a different scale for rating it. See posts 5 and 8 in this thread: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25707 I'd suggest you put in premium gas and try to find non-Ethanol blends if they're available in your area (they aren't in mine).
  • andres_1511andres_1511 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem but i dont get to know which is the right fuse. I don't have the user manual so i would have to check eack fuse one by one. Could you please help me locate the fuse for this circuit?

Thanks.-

Andres
  • bshmidtbshmidt Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2011
    I own my galant for a while now and my dealership is strict with things not being covered by warranty and they charge the $100 inspection fee. I would like to quickly ask if these items would be covered by my warranty.

I have currently 49000 miles.

1) Clunk from struts or suspension when hitting bumps

2) Engine is very squeeky when its cold

3) Right power mirror does not work.

4) AC does not blow when set to your feet. Heat barely comes out also.
  • jojojackjojojack Member Posts: 1
    Have a question about my 2009 Galant-It has 47,000 mi on it, and I've had since December 2009.
    I've loved the car, except I have an issue with it starting sometimes.
    I happened ever 6 months, but recently has become more frequent, like every few weeks or so. It will start...eventually. I suspect there is a prob with the ignition/spark plugs or fuel line or something. It trying to start, but during these times when it doesn't want to, will take 5 or so seconds to finally start up.
    I want to go to the service department prepared, because when I first took it in when it did this once in January 2010, the girl told me to change the battery in my key. I highly doubt that is the issue.
    Anyway, the nearest dealership is 2 hours away, so I know it will be all day, and want to know what I should have them check, besides the ignition/starter, spark plugs/wires and fuel line. Thanks!
  • jpagan87jpagan87 Member Posts: 1
    hey how did you fix this problem? I had the same problem.. now after i replaced it now the car wont even turn on.... please tell me what u did.
  • kurosawakurosawa Member Posts: 1
    I've just received a replacement remote control for my 2003 Mitsubishi Galant. It came from a seller who specializes in Mitsubishi parts out of Florida. The device came without instructions on how to program it to my car. I had believed it would come already programed from this business since they asked for my vehicle's vin. Does anybody out there know how to program it? I am pretty sure a lot of Mitsubishi owners will benefit from this information.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Kurosawa Desu
    akira-kurosawa@sbcglobal.net
  • lance1980lance1980 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Galant and i am having AC and Heating Issues for example: When I turn on the AC it will work for a little bit then stop working, sometimes if I let it don't run it for a while the AC will come back on. On rare occasions the AC never kicks on at all....When I run my heat...the heat never gets Hot like it use to when the car was newer...It is warm / lukewarm....I am not sure if these issues would be related in any way...Any help will be appreciated, thank you.
  • cuda27cuda27 Member Posts: 1
    Have a Mitsubishi 2002 galant was having staring problems replaced Battery and negative lead cable also replaced plugs and wires, ran fine for a few days now sometimes will not start right away also when idle lights dim, when gas applied runs fine.
    Sounds to me like the battery is not getting recharged sufficiently.

Check the alternator output; it could be failing. Also look for a short somewhere that could be causing the battery to drain. Also look for lights that are stuck on like interior or trunk lights; those are well-known sources of battery grain on many cars.

The odds of success are small, but you might also see if you can find a place that'll read the on-board diagnostic computer codes to see if the system is throwing any errors. I doubt it is, though, at least none until the battery is too low for a start.
  • jjle28jjle28 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Mitsubishi Galant 4 CYLINDER recently as of august 2011, i started hearing a metal like dragging noise hard to tell where its coming from.. Similiar to a heat sheild noise.. Does anyone or has anyone had this problem if so what could it be? I'm kinda leaning towards my breaks but its not constant, more wen i give it gas. and i had the heat sheild removed a few yrs ago as the noise is similar. :confuse:
  • jjle28jjle28 Member Posts: 2
    Could be wrong but sounds like the EGR valve... Its a pricy cost at about 450- 600. dollars, i had the same issue and noises.. however i bout a kit and had a mechanic clean it.. ocassionally the light comes back on.
  • benjaminb236benjaminb236 Member Posts: 1
    I replaced the timing belt on my Galant. I verified all my timing marks were aligned and that the balance shaft was in the correct postion. I turned it over by hand to verify that everything operated without binding.
    Now, it will not start. I have redone the timing belt twice and checked the timing marks.
    1. I checked cylinder pressures

I have no idea what I did wrong. Help please.
  • momofmam2momofmam2 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem it was once or twice a year, on the hottest day, and instop and go traffic. Then more and more often, then if I turned it on before I hit 40mph. Then it started with the heat. Finally nothing at all. No one could agree on what it was. FinalY, I went to NAPA got a recondititoned compressor kit with the help of an automotive a/c class at the local community college. Spent $400 saved a thousand. I has six months of comfort, until I got T-boned.
  • shortbox88shortbox88 Member Posts: 1
    got mine on here .....
    .http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQMitsubishiQQGalantQQPower_FlowQQMud- _FlapsQQ19902011QQP416401.html?apwcid=P1135867996W43b3f85c7ab9e&apwid36QzVvH
  • hylia02hylia02 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Galant, automatic, with a little over 100K mi on it. Right about the time I passed 100K a couple weeks ago, my car started doing this thing where when I am at a stop light (the car is in drive and I am on the brake)- the whole car acts like it wants to jolt forward. It would move if I wasn't on the brake. Best I can describe it is like a jolt/jump/surge type action. I just had to have my O2 sensor replaced and I thought that would fix the problem, but it hasn't. Is it a transmission issue or engine issue or some other issue? Any thoughts?
    Could be engine or transmission. For engine, I'd orient towards things that would make the engine rev like the idle control sensor. Could also be a bad thermostat telling the ECU the engine's cold which triggers it to go to the fast idle it does when the engine is first started & cold.

For the trans, I'm less certain but there could be an issue with how the trans is handling being stopped. Has the trans been serviced/had the fluid changed? Check the trans fluid level (with it warm) & color.
  • angelowangelow Member Posts: 1
    My dashboard lights don't come on unless I press the brake pedal.

I still have turn signal lights, cruise control and even power on the accessory plug-in - but the lights on the speedometer area, ashtray, and HVAC controls won't come on unless I tap the brakes.

Anyone know what could be wrong?
  • pavippavip Member Posts: 2
    Hi Marcin97, I have the same problem with oil pressure light flickering after the engine warms up. What did the dealer diagnose in your case? Thanks for your answer. Pavi
  • pavippavip Member Posts: 2
    I have 2002 Galant. Recently, I noticed that after about 15-20 minutes of driving when I come to a stop or a light my oil pressure light starts to flicker or lights up. This happens when rpms drop below 1000. When I shift to neutral and give it a little gas (upto 1000 rpms) the light turns off. Also, it's off during highway driving. Anybody had that problem? Temperature gauge is normal, have oil and coolant. Thanks for any ideas. Cheers Pavi
  • bjpleinbjplein Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 Galant did that for at least 5 years. I never did anything about it and nothing ever happened. Mechanic said to ignore it if it goes out and doesn't stay on constantly while driving. So I did. I got rid of the car 6 months ago for other reasons. Love my new Honda. Would never buy another Mitsubishi.
    I did notice that sometimes after an extended drive on the highway when exiting & stopping at the offramp the engine idle would sag and sometimes act like it might stall. It didn't, though. I figured it was a sensor or timing glitch in the control software. I found that if I eased to a stop it was less likely to happen.

That was a '99 V6 Galant - same family as the '02.

I now have a '10 Outlander V6 and haven't noticed that issue at all.
  • charles91charles91 Member Posts: 1
    My very dry car sits in the driveway. It rains. The rug below drivers feet puddles. I removed rug and scraped floor. I hose front of car just below windshield wipers and after about twenty minutes water begins to drip from the floor just below the brake peddle on lower part of the up ramp. It drips out of the wall like a mini artesian well.

I have caulked every crevice posible on the outside of the car and in the area just below the windshield wiper. You need to remove the long panel that keeps out the large leaves. A few days ago we had a large storm with lotsa water and wind, and the floor filled up about one inch deep.

I have had mechanics and body repairmen look at it and they have no solution. It is not a driving problem. It is a "standing still" problem.
  • dioxidedioxide Member Posts: 1
    Car: 2000 Mitsubishi Galant
    According to a picture on the internet, the fuel pump relay is under the hood but it's not there. We checked with the local Mitsubishi dealership and they said the fuel pump relay should be in a panel next to the driver side door: http://i.imgur.com/Rmcmz.jpg But it looks nothing like the diagram they gave us.