Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• abumaabuma Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to possibly purchase a 1989 Galant 4 door GL from a co-worker, Whe is meticulous about keeping up the car, it has not a ding or scratch on it, the interior is in perfect condition and itonly has 104,000 miles on it. She takes it to her mechanic if there is ever a noise or problem. I was wondering if there were any people out there who knew of problems with the transmission. She had a problem with it sounding like it was shifting hard, she took it to her mechanic and he changed the filter and trans fluid as it had never been changed before. It runs fine now but I am skeptical, I've had cars with trans trouble and dont want to pay a nice low price for the car and find I have to replace the transmission.
    Thank you
  • falconguynjfalconguynj Member Posts: 3
    that at times I'm not sure the engine is running! And that is not only my opinion, but almost everyone who has been in my car says the same thing. So....back to the dealer, and take no bull!
  • epikgtzepikgtz Member Posts: 18
    ... of cars (and items on those cars) affected?
  • iceman350iceman350 Member Posts: 1
    I am incredibly happy with the purchase of my Patriot Red 2000 Galant GTZ. Maybe it's because I know the owner of the dealership, but the service has been impeccable.

When I first walked in I told the owner I wanted a GTZ (knowing already by talking to others how hard they were to get). I expected the sorry response. Instead he went back and looked on the order board and sure enough they had one that was unspoken for coming in in 30 days. In red no less! Of course I took it on the spot!

Can't tell you how much I paid (I might get in trouble) but it was definitely under invoice. Plus the great financing. I took delivery on April 1st (I had my doubts!?) but I now have 5300 miles on it with no problems other than some carpeting that needed to be glued back down on my first dealer visit.

I guess some people on this board can't believe a great story like this but it's completely true. I would recommend the GTZ if they can find one to anybody. By the way I am 6' 4" and a solid 300 but I fit with little trouble in the drivers seat. The only thing that occasionally pokes me is the seatbelt reciever on the right side.

I'll be sure to post back if something goes wrong.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    $3000 in rebates? Is this only on the GTS model? From what I can tell, there is only a $1500 rebate on the Galant. Please let me know if the rebates are this high on all models or if they are offering a Mitsu owner loyalty rebate. Thanks!
  • texrobintexrobin Member Posts: 13
    Here's a site to get recall info on all autos.

http://www.autoweb.com/recalls/default.htm
  • mpevznermpevzner Member Posts: 41
    FYI:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recmmy1.cfm
    Enter Mitsubishi/ Galant/1999 or 2000

A small excert of the from the NHTSA website:
    Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles. A nut in the steering gear assembly was not properly tightened, resulting in ranging from steering wheel vibration to stiff steering, and in the worst case, no ability to turn left.

A loss of steering control could increase the risk of a crash.

Just my 2 cents on this one: You can probaly get away with the brake failure, provided YOU ARE LUCKY and your car has a manual gearbox and you know how to downshift, but if your steering is 'kaput' then you're toast...

I have a receipt from Mitsubishi service where I complained about steering wheel vibration. Guess what was their verdict? "No problem found" - you got it.
    Loss of steering control is a kind'a bad thing, more than that, I would admit that it kind'a [inappropriate language] big time. "Increase the risk of a crash ..." - how very true! I would rather say "If your steering is screwed up while you are driving the [inappropriate language] thing - you're pretty much dead".
    I called the local Mitsu dealer and they said that the only info they had about the recall was rumors. Isn't it pathetic?

Have fun drivin',
    Max,
    'Lucky' owner of '99 ES V6,
    a.k.a. Local Friendly Mitsu Basher.
    'Lucky' means still alive as of 08/23/00
  • draymond2draymond2 Member Posts: 134
    What would be a good price to pay for a 2000 ES?? I was thinking invoice minus $1500 rebate, Does anyone think this is possible.

There are being advertised locally for $15,999. According to Edmunds invoice + destination is $17135 minus rebate is $15635.

Does anyone know what the approximate ad fees are? Any advice/input would be appreciated.
    In California around 1 year ago it was somewhere between $400 and $500, I've seen the invoice for my car.
    IMHO If you want to buy a Mitsubishi - think twice. Good looks, shoddy quality and poor reliability.
  • purp3purp3 Member Posts: 24
    Look MPEVZNER, just because cars get recalled doesn't mean all are lemons! Come on and get a grip! If you check most of the posts on here there are more positive comments then negative ones. You are the one that puts most of the negative comments! One negative comment is all it takes to let us know how you feel! We all know how you feel OK! I have a 2000 ES and totally love it! I have almost 11k miles on it with no problems whatsoever. I'm sure most of the people that come into this forum agree with me that Mitsu makes a great car! Look, most of the higher up companies like Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, and Mercedes all make Lemons unfortunately. You happened to get one from Mitsu. I think you agree with me in my earlier statement that most people that post in this forum like their Galant. Come on and get a grip and let it rest! You need to move on with your life and get rid of your Galant if you aren't happy with it.
  • ultratechultratech Member Posts: 142
    Well, we respect your freedom of opinion .... but i think everyone should think twice before buying any car .... ..
    Maybe a galant 4-cyl around invoice + dest fee, + ad fee of $350 makes sense since they have 2001 now... BUT remember, they take out rebate after Taxes .....
    The other day, i took out the yellow things from my front lights and looks very sleek ....
    Stiff steering and inability to turn left in my opinion is a SAFETY ISSUE. IMHO if a vehicle is not safe to drive it is a LEMON.

P.S. Did you know that the most frequent cause of death of americans under 35 is a car accident?
    P.P.S flames > null
  • dwteachdwteach Member Posts: 2
    Back in 1998, my wife and I decided we needed a 4dr sedan, with good performance, reasonable price, and good quality. We looked at Camry, Maxima, and Accord, but couldn't get past the "Wake up and drive" promotion playing at that time. We decided on the Galant then.
    We took delivery of our silver ES V6 on Halloween, 1998. Maybe the date should have told us something, but I am not a superstitious man.
    I can relate to the service complaints many have written about here. Our local Mitsu dealer here in a small but growing CO municipality has failed us several times, and other times blamed us for the problems (example; warped rotors, an issue discussed repeatedly here, were caused by my wife's driving). Curiously, our 2000 Civic with 6000 miles has no brake problems.
    I just got off the phone with the service manager, and pointed out that our current rash of steering vibration issues related to a NHTSA recall on '99 Galants with our car's date of manufacture (May 1998), of which they were unaware, and blamed on tires. They took their 3rd shot at a water leak into the right rear trunk well, and still haven't resolved that one (the rubber plug is removed to let it drain, wonder if rust-through will cover that). We have the common rattle issues, the VIN plate, driver's C pillar, glovebox, and they deny that these are common issues. As a matter of fact, they deny most everything. I had to talk them into reprogramming the trans to resolve a harsh downshift issue; they said no trouble found, but Mitsu has service bulletins on this as well (ours seems to be 4th to 3rd, the bulletin covers 3rd to 2nd shifts).
    Anyway, it is now for sale. Our Honda, though not nearly as exciting under throttle as the Galant, rides better, handles almost as well, feels much better built, and cost $5000 less. Lessons learned:
    1. Don't buy first off the line, or first model year for that matter
    2. Don't buy a Mitsu, then a Honda later
    3. Buy a Mitsu in a bigger city with more dealers from which to choose
    LOL
  • cgacga Member Posts: 23
    I may regret it, but I guess I'll join what I consider an interesting and informative discussion on the overall quality of the Galant.

The 2000 Galant ES 4cyl I bought new, with about 5,300 miles on it now, is a very pleasant and quiet car. While I have not yet had anything repaired under warranty, several experiences with my dealer are making me think twice. Most of us realize dealers as a group can be less than helpful and not forthcoming regarding common problems, etc. etc. but my local (an hour away) Mits. dealer is poor even by these standards. Surface courtesy is not sufficient. It's not enough to address us as "sir" or "maam" and then ignore our problems.

From the day I bought the car, my Galant has occasionally exhibited metal-to-metal squeaking noises on left turns only --- the steering wheel vibration is minor but noticeable --- as is a jerky 3rd-4th AT upshift --- and low speed hesitation. The dealer has told me, without offering to repair anything, that I may have to learn to accept certain quirks in my particular vehicle.

This bothers me. The dealer that is, and VERY much. But at this point I'm enjoying the car's overall value, based on good comparative power, fuel economy, and comfort. That sums up why I like the car. In everyday 20-30 mile driving I routinely get 28-29 mpg (I kid you not) in the warm weather --- with very little highway or city driving, and in relative comfort (I still hate the emergency brake lever). So I don't want the dealer to start making adjustments yet, but since they haven't agreed to even look at the car the point is still moot. If I insisted I'm sure they would take the car in and check for the problems they no doubt know are more common than they will admit. But based on the dealer's attitude I've lost faith in them, which is not a good thing while the warranty remains in effect.

I haven't called the dealer to inquire about the recall only because if they blow me off again, I want to be be prepared for the situation with some plan of action (silly as this may sound). With all of this in mind, I still like the car.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Remember....you have warranty in your car....enforce it even if the dealer tries to blow you away!
    Has anybody experienced problems with Galant steering and survived? Despite the NHTSA information Mitsubishi still keeps denying everything. Even though I have got a second car now, I haven't got rid of the Lemon yet. I don't really feel like selling a vehicle that may have a deadly problem with it, without of notifying the buyer. I can probably try selling it to the dealer, notifying him of the known issues. They will probably give me a price way below the KBB trade-in, though. The only other possible solution I can think of is donating the vehicle and writing KBB value off my yearly income tax.
  • draymond2draymond2 Member Posts: 134
    I have compared the two and I give a slight edge to the Galant in power and styling. I like the interior better in the 626. I thought reliability in both to be above average, no much difference.

I'm reading a lot of negativity regarding the reliablity of the Galant. Should I take heed to these warnings, and opt for the 626 or consider these problems to be from only a few disgruntled owners????

Any advice would be appreciated......
  • vac23vac23 Member Posts: 118
    Most of the negative comments you're reading are from 1 person. Take it with a grain of salt. I own a '99 GTZ, my bro also has a '99 GTZ & my wife just got a '00 GTZ. No problems with any of our cars. We have a total of about 53k miles between the 3 of us. The recent recall does affect our Galant as ours are built in IL. The recall affects vehicles that were import from Japan
  • dwteachdwteach Member Posts: 2
    See http://edmunds.com/edweb/recalls.html and see for yourself. I hate to talk down my own vehicle; after all, I bought it. But I have to say I am disappointed, especially after my sister's '89 lasted over 140K without a problem. For those whose cars are reliable and have a good relationship with their dealership, you are fortunate.
    Another thought: At 700 miles, our Honda developed a rattle in the dash similar to a pen tapping loudly on a desk. The dealer worked this for five days, trying twice to return it to me. After the second attempt, and a talk with the dealership owner's assistant, I had a new, identical replacement car(!) with 50 miles on the odo. I have not been a Honda advocate, but how can you fault a company that treats customers as this? Mitsu could learn something. Thanks, Team Honda!
    Try giving a visit to the 626 forum, you'll see just as many complains as the galant gets.... now try visiting the accord forum, same story... let's say lexus forum... same story ..
    -- now go read reviews by Car magazines..
    So after reading everything, you can then make up your mind...
    My personal opinion : GO For IT !!!!
    ~~~I Love My GaL~~~
    Ultratech, right on!

Bottom line, do your homework and you should be happy with what you get, unless you are the very small percentage of unlucky folks who actually buy a lemon (all makers procuduce lemons!).

MPEVZNER: Now your not only a complainer, your a marter too!!! LOL!!! Just sale the car and get over it!
  • gevorkgevork Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 galant es v6 with 34,000 miles. I drive too much. I still enjoy the car, but I wish it was faster. Did anybody purchase any aftermarket parts to enhance the performance for galants. So far I can't seem to find anything that is made for galants specificly, such as air intakes and so on. Thanks fellas.
  • marcinmarcin Member Posts: 64
    What car do you drive now in place of you infamous Galant?
    Mitsubishi is about to announce a recall on the '98 -'00 Galant. This is the result of the NHTSA investigation of the steering issues. Mitsubsihi forgot to tighten the nut in the steering column, remember I told ya! The recall should be announced some time early next week. The dealers have already got the preliminary information, but they don't have the details yet.
    Wish everebody good luck and let God help you to avoid this steering trouble.
    Max a.k.a. the local friendly Mitsu Basher
  • floridianfloridian Member Posts: 219
    The censorship gods will be on you like the plague !!

Floridian, such talk, I never !!
    the Unix people will get it :)
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    disable interface basher

...bashing for the sake of revenge not welcome.
    Helpful critical advice is...

Thanks,

L8_Apex
    Sedans Host
    Is the NHTSA invormation on the coming recall
    A) a "Helpful critical advice ..."
    or
    B) an example of "...bashing for the sake of revenge"
    ?
    Regards
    Your local friendly Mitsu Basher
    Hopefully soon-to-be an Audi neophite :)

P.S. I am selling the Galant as soon as it's fixed for the 7'th time, I promise. I will never bother the audience of this forum with my feedback, as soon as I get rid of the infamous Mitsubishi product.
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    It's not a one-time deal; it's a habit. As I've stated in other topics, there's a thin line between helpful, critical advice and repeated posting with the intent to disrupt the exchange among those owners who are satisfied.
  • floridianfloridian Member Posts: 219
    mpevzner: you'll be back a snortin and a cussin as soon as the Audi "wondermobile" begins to self-destruct. It's not the cars, it's YOU! You have a anti-mobile virus transmissable to every car you sit in. Too bad there is NO cure.

By the way, I could not find any of those words in the spell check that you used. Why did you get scribbled? I asked my grandmother if she knew what they were but she turned all red and threw a empty muscatel bottle at me.

Floridian
    Aw, come on web host.... I get my daily laugh from reading mpevzner's posts. He's sort of a sorry kind of folk. He's terribly dissatisfied with his car and god forbid he blame himself for picking a car he's not happy with. It's much easier to blame everything and everyone else....
  • blackgtzblackgtz Member Posts: 1
    I just installed Dunlop Sport 8000's on my '99 Galant GTZ... what a difference from those horrible Goodyear Eagle LS tires. The Dunlops are smoother... they don't transmit every crack and bump to the steering wheel plus they have better grip while cornering -- no more annoying squealing. The only downside is the 8000 series is a little pricey -- and they're not all season... which isn't a problem in warm climes.
  • hounddog1hounddog1 Member Posts: 2
    I have had two accords: 1983 got 163K and my current 1`990 got 189K. Reliable yes but I am looking for something different. Any opinions on the Sentra and the Galant. This car will be used mostly for work with 2 passengers and driven on I95 most of the way for about 30m one way. Don't have a lot of money need to keep it under $20k. Thoughts ?
    You can't compare Sentra with Galant. Sentra is a compact car. If you want Nissan, look at Altima. However, I have both, 99 Galant and 99 Altima. Galant is a much better looking, has smoother shifting, and is very quiet b/c it has timing belt instead of a chain. You will notice a big difference, test drive both!
    Hi, just to inform ...
    My cousin and I bought our cars within one week last Nov 99.
    His honda accord already developed a rattle on passenger door.
    My galant no rattles so far ..

So just to clarify that rattleing is not a synonimous of the galant.
  • leperleper Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up a 2001 Galant ES with no packages or sunroof installed. After MUCH bashing of heads and pulling of hair, I managed to get the car for $17903 (Includes delivery, but does not include Tax/Title/Tag--The TOTAL, honest-to-goodness out the door price was $19500 because of 7% tax and huge title fees.) under the 0/0/0/ financing plan. The price w/o delivery was 17383 which is about $30 cheaper than the TMV for it, so I guess I won :) I am lucky in that I live in Phoenix AZ and there are 4 Mitsu dealers from three diffeent auto groups. Hopefully the miserable service I read about can be avoided by trying out different stores. I checked the dome light to make sure it stays up in the roof where it belongs.
    I think the issue with the brake lever is less an issue of height, but an issue of femur length. I am 6'2", but I am all torso with short legs. My knee barely comes to the end of the brake. I could see how another inch or two of thigh bone could make it annoying.
  • fghutchifghutchi Member Posts: 2
    You're kidding right? There is no comparison between a Sentra, Galant, and Accord? Toss the Sentra out. I'm a 2000 Galant owner and I have driven a friend's Sentra on numerous occassions. Because it is in a totally different auto class, it is much smaller and has a much smaller/less powerful engine. I owned a Civic for 6 years (153K miles) before my Galant. It is comparable to the Sentra. The Galant is in the same class as your Accords. I have also driven Accords and liked them, but the Galants are much more stylish. The interior is more comfortable and the body speaks for itself. Mitsu is having trouble though. I haven't had major problems with my, but there was some inattention to minor details (e.g. dome light would not stay in place, weather stripping in driver side door needs to be replaced, annoying placement of parking break handle). Despite these inconveniences, I like the car and I often see heads turn as I drive by. Do your homework and shop around. Good luck with your decision. If you can get the special financing deal with Mitsu you should have little difficulty making a decision. I bought my 2000 ES V-6 for $19,600 with 2.4% financing over 5 years.
  • 4u24u2 Member Posts: 17
    I just bought a '01 ES V6, and love it. I almost bought a 626, but I think that the Galant is more attractive, has a better warranty, and is a better value. I have almost 600 miles on the car. I hope the car continues to be as troble-free as it has been so far.

My only concern is whether the steering problems affect '01 Galants, as well. Your feedback is appreciated.
    as i was told the recall for the steering problem affects '99 & '00 model yr. This was from the dealer's month.
    so is this steering wheel recall official? should i wait to get a postcard in the mail or just drive in?
    I had to bring my '00 GTZ last weekend for them to replace the rear door lock. When I got to the service desk the guy stated he'll check the steering for the recall so i don't have to go back when i get the notice in the mail. Sounded like an officcal recall. I'll have to take my '99 in for that too. go to the website below for the info
    1999 Galants
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recmmy5.cfm

2000 Galants
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recmmy5.cfm
    For those few that have the '01 model. your vehicles are not included in the recall at this present date.
  • boston14boston14 Member Posts: 111
    Went on a trip to beautiful Milwaukee and drove a 2000 Altima for 3 days and about 500 miles. I was happy the rental agent gave me an Altima as I had been thinking I should have gotten the Nissan as It can be had now for the same price as a Civic EX. Well, first of all I drove the car as unbiased as I could and the better car is THE Galant!! The separtion between the cars for me happens when it counts folk. THE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION PERFORMANCE. There was a rather loud and unrefined sound that reminded me of a Sentra or Eleantra when I gave the Nissan some real gas. I didnt feel the smooth kick and rev that the Galant has. It really is not close to me which car is more fun to drive. In fact the Altima is like driving a utensil compared to the refinment in a Galant. On the other hand I think The Altima has a better foward view for the driver as there is more glass and interior room is better. But I rather gave that up than performance any day.
  • argst13argst13 Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,

I just bought my Galant on Saturday after waiting 2 months for the order to come in. I got the Patriot Red Pearl Galant GTZ with all options except for the roof rack, yuck!!! I love it, the stereo is great, and the CD player plays CD-RW disks which is another plus. It was a little pricey, but hey, luxery doesn't come cheap. If anybody is thinking about buying a Galant, I say go for it, if you are not happy just go and trade it back in. It IS an import car so it will still be much more reliable than your 25000 Chevy or Ford. Since many people are driving Toyota or Honda, I wanted to dare to be different, so I got the Mitsu, and if people are having repeat problems on the car, there ARE NO lemon laws out there, exercise your rights. Final Comments: Very Stylish, family can't stop staring at it, Comfortable and very roomy, and I am a tall man, major step up from my 93 sunbird, no more "basic transportation," Stereo is great, plays CD-R and CD-RW, I knew that was a question I had but is not posted anywhere, so there I verified it for anybody wondering. Corners well, and the power is awsome, no more flooring to get up the mountains here in Pittsburgh. Not so good stuff, Cons: NO door lights or reflectors, I will get a set of these ASAP, very narrow roads here, dont want to loose my door. The full back seat does not fold down. The transmission control does not automatically lock doors when in drive, a great option of American cars. NO power trunk release, I will have to spend extra to have a motor put on for remote release. My gripes are petty I know, but altogether it is an awsome car and it is different, I love it. I also would like to see MItsu expand so I wont have to travel 30 minutes for service, hehe. Anyway hope I helped somebody.
  • j_colemanj_coleman Member Posts: 143
    On the topic of service and dealerships, I noticed that there aren't too many of them around (I live in north Dallas). When I was shopping for a new car last year I went to one, and they only had maybe 2 dozen new Galants. Also, the sales staff seemed pretty unprofessional and clueless about the car. It just didn't make a very good impression. I had to wonder about the quality of service...
  • steph123steph123 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone has had the following problems:

Rotors warping very quickly (I am on my 2nd pair)

The car being extremly noisy over bumps ect. (Dealer told me that mitsubishi's are known to make noise)

One of the hinges on the gas tank door cracked. Dealer will not repair under warranty as he said that the door was forced open. I totally disagree w/ this. If this was true there would have been some sort of paint transfer or at least a scratch - which I don't have. I spoke w/ the main Mitsu. office and they told me that they couldn't help me because the dealer said that the door was forced open (so much for customer satisfaction!)

I have had:

my bushings (sp?) replaced 3 times

the dash lights replaced 4 times - dealer insists that there isn't an electrical problem the bulbs are defective.

I now have some sort of transmission problem - not sure what it is the car has been into Bay Ridge Mitsubishi 3 times and they still need more time to diagnose it.

Besides all of this I really love my car I think that it is amazing looking!!! I have 28,000 miles on my car so I don't know if this could be the reason for the problems that I am having. I am starting to get a bit scared being I have 1 1/2 years left on the lease and only 8,000 miles left on the warranty :-)

Any advice or reassuring would be appreciated.

My one piece of advice would be to STAY AWAY FROM BAY RIDGE MITSUBISHI IN BROOKLYN, NY They are horrible and have lied to me many times. They also own STATEN ISLAND MITSUBISHI I have yet to try them as I am now sold on the great service at POTAMKIN in Manhattan.

Please let me know if you have experienced any of these problems.

Thanks
  • amitsuowneramitsuowner Member Posts: 16
    I have a 95 Galant LS and have similar problems. The rotors warp very easily. Also, my transmission failed at just over 60,000 miles, and the Mitsubishi service manager I took it to said there was non-synthetic transmission oil in the transmission box and that's what caused the transmission to "burn up", but the transmission oil that was in my car was put in by a different Mitsubishi service station. I wrote a letter to Mitsubishi customer relations asking for re-imbursement for the new transmission (which cost over $2000), they refused to help, and were obnoxious when I talked to them on the phone.

Other problems I've had have been include having to replace the rack and pinion steering assembly, replace the bushings regularly, rattles in the moonroof, etc. I'd strongly recommend against buying a Galant.
  • amitsuowneramitsuowner Member Posts: 16
    I forgot to add - my engine and transmission mounts also needed to be replaced. When I add it all up, I could have had a brand new Mercedes or BMW considering the amount I've paid in repairs to this car.
    I am not sure if you can compare 95 Galant to a 99 model. Mitsu made major changes and improvements to this current model.
    Bad Galant is still better than Taurus or GrandAm :)