Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• fghutchifghutchi Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone read their owners manual? If so, the 19 mpg on the ES-V6 should come as no surprise? I too was surprised at the gas mileage, but when I read my owners manual it all made sense. It clearly states that you should expect about 19 mpg for city driving. It does really well on the highway though. I usually drive a combination of city and highway and routinely go more than 300 miles on a tank of gas.

I owned a Honda Civic for 6 years and went a little over 300 miles per tank. However, I expected the Galant to cost more, given its larger engine. I'll take the higher gas costs for the comfort and the powerful engine.

If you can afford to drive a Galant, then shouldn't you be able to put gas in it? Let's move on already!
  • ultratechultratech Member Posts: 142
    Hi again, just a little update, I called my dealership regarding the recall on my 2000 ES .. Well, they gave me an appointment for next saturday .. I'll go see what's up ..
  • boston14boston14 Member Posts: 111
    Its been almost 1yr form my 2000 ES 4 cyl and I am most happy with everything about the car. The power is pretty darn good from a 4 cyl and compared to an Altima which I rented for 3 days it wasnt close. The Galant kicked the Altima's bud in driving performance. I just wish Mitsu had spent a little more time for interior room. The Altima is a mid size car just as the Galant but for some reason seems a heck of a lot bigger to me. I am only 5 5 so if I complain about interior room imagine how you tall people feel! If the Altima had the galant engine and tranny it would be dream.
  • dianne331dianne331 Member Posts: 16
    I haven't messed with the headlights yet but do they go off automatically if you turn your car off and forget the lights are on? (I mean BEFORE the battery dies :-)
  • vac23vac23 Member Posts: 118
    The lights automatically turns off when the ignition is off & the driver's door is opened or 2 mins after the ignition is turned off if you don't open the dr door.
    It seems to me that when I put the fan control on "floor only" there is stil a considerable amount of air blowing up near my face. I am very sensitive to this because I wear contact lenses and don't like air blowing on my face. Plus, my feet never seem to get warm when I have the heat on.
  • marcinmarcin Member Posts: 64
    Hmmm, it takes only less than 3 min for my car to be extremely hot (even using floor vents). And I live in Chicagoland so the temp is pretty low here. I haven't notice any problems yet. :)
    Here in Southern california has been like an Oven lately, so haven't had a chance to test my cars heater .... but it's getting kinda cold lately... so I'll get back at you people maybe in 2 months when it gets reasonably hot.

I'm about the hit the 3000 miles mark in 1 yr , hehehe .. that's little .. I'll be getting my first Oil change next weekend !
    ~ wish me luck LOL !! :-) ~
  • hzhuhzhu Member Posts: 3
    I have a 95 Galant ES with 74k miles on it. Someone told me I should replace the timing belt at 60k. But the following site
    (http://theautoshop.com/timing.html) says 100k. I bought the car used so I don't have the manual. Does anyone know what the manual suggests? Or shall I just replace it now?

Thanks for your help.
    The "general rule" is to have it replaced every 60k. I do. It's better to pay $200 now then to pays $$$ thounsands later if the belt should break.
    Ah yes..."A stitch in time saves nine"
    Ok i took my galant to the dealer down here for the steering wheel box recall thing .. Well I made an appointment the week before.. I got there at 8 am , they took my car and told me to come back at 2 pm.. 6 hrs , ok i called my brother to come pick me up .. (and he got a speeding ticket on its way, sad...) ... Also I told them to check some rubbing sound the brake was making ...

They called me at 1:30 , so I went back around 3 to pick up my car, they did took care of the recall thing, but they said the brakes were normal.. hmm but the noice was gone .. so they must have done something but said nothing wrong.. oh well...

The service was actually very good. They are a Mitsubishi,Mazda,Oldsmobile dealer ... i'm happy once again !! (well, my bro's ticket will be like $200 dllrs)

Oh btw, it was Browning Mitsubishi down here in Southern California... Same place i bought the car 1 yr ago.
  • rickeyjairickeyjai Member Posts: 1
    Is the steering wheel box recall done on all 2000 Galants or is it specific to a certain model or a batch of cars?
    I have a 2000 Galant ES model, bought in Sept 2000, should I be getting a recall notice?
  • cjob19cjob19 Member Posts: 1
    I just want to say thanks to everybody on their advise on the new galants. I just picked up my new Galant GTZ, and I love it, its great on gas and glides on the road. I thought their would be more power between the 0 - 60 mark, but its about average, but the comfort and looks makes it all alright. I look at every other competing model in the range of 24 - 30k, and im very pleased to pick up one of the cheaper cars I looked at, with all the options that came with it. Its def worth the price.
  • blf2blf2 Member Posts: 38
    Our 2000 GTZ had the recall, took it in for that and also the SRS(airbag) light was going on intermittantly. The recall item was inspected & checked out OK, they put the diagnostic computer on the car and wanted the car back for a complete check of the airbag sensors. Since that day we've put 1200 miles on the car and the SRS light funtions normally(goes on during ignition, turns off & stays off shortly after starting car), we cancelled our service appointment. About 2 days later we received the service invoice for the recall service and they wrote a nice reply about our airbag problem. They said that if we have even the slightest recurrance of the SRS light staying on to please come in and let them put it on the "machine". Anyway, it was nice that they took care of the recall and showed sincerity in dealing with us. BTW, I've heard of this SRS thing w/ new cars, it apperently takes a bit of time for the contacts to "break-in" and make solid contact w/ the computer sensors. Anyone else out there have this situation occur on their Galant?
  • suprdav2suprdav2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Es v6, and was curious if anybody knew where the filter for the A/C was at? Reading the owners manual doesn't tell you where it's at, but to take it to the Mitsu dealer and they will replace it. It doesn't need replacing yet, but would like to know where it's at so that when it's time to replace it, I won't have to take it to the dealer and spend an the weeks paycheck just to have them replace it. Any help would be appreciated. Also, anybody got a clue on how to get to the back 3 sparkplugs?
    the a/c filter is behind the glove box. You'll need remove the box in order to accees it. As far as the spark plugs go, you need to remove the intake manifold.
  • filmtimefilmtime Member Posts: 2
    Test drove the 2000 Galant on Sunday - love the car, but the seat hurts! If I could figure out a way to make the seat comfortable, I would buy the car. Any suggestions from owners please?
  • car_huntercar_hunter Member Posts: 17
    I have a 96 Galant S. There is some harmonic noise which goes up as speed increases to above 50mph. The noise almost dies when the car is steered right, but gets louder if turned left (at highway speeds). A mechanic told me that it may be the wheel bearing and would cost me around $250 or more! There is also some vibration in the steering column and may be due to alignment. I would appreciate comments from anyone who is familiar with this. Thanks.
  • boston14boston14 Member Posts: 111
    I have a 2000 galant and have not had one complaint about the seats. If that is already an issue for you get a 2000 Madza Protege which has seats so comfortable that you might want to be buried in them. the ES model that is.
  • texrobintexrobin Member Posts: 13
    Filmtime,
    Funny you say the Galant's seats hurt. I thought the Galant's seats were so comfortable that it was one of the major selling points when compared to the Accord. I thought the Accord seats were awful! Difference in opinion I guess. Sorry that you feel that way about the Galant, but I totally understand that something like that can be so important because it was the Accord's seats that kept me going back to the Galant and eventually buying the Galant. I love my Galant and sooooo glad I chose it over all it's competitors.
  • norge3norge3 Member Posts: 1
    I haven't had any problems with my 2000 Galant GTZ besides the glove box lock rattling... I want to know if anyone else has had this problem and what was done to solve it. I was thinking about bringing it to the dealer to replace the lock, but I am not sure if that is under warranty. All I know is that the noise is driving me crazy! Please help if you can...
  • filmtimefilmtime Member Posts: 2
    Hey, boston14 and texrobin,
    Thanks for the responses. I will definitely look at the Protege! And, I agree the Accord seats are awful!
  • blf2blf2 Member Posts: 38
    Have you tried the Galant LS or GTZ? If not, and it's still in your price range, you should test drive either of those models! I didn't care for the comfort of the cloth Galant seats either, but I test drove an LS program car with leather seats & adjustable drivers' side lumbar supports and it was a much improved seat, IMO! We then bought a GTZ since we knew what the seats would feel like once they were broken in! The leather seats take a little while to break in, but they get like an old slipper pretty quick, I'll never have cloth seats again! Hope you'll give it a try, a Protege is definately a big step down from the Galant :)
  • boxxerboxxer Member Posts: 18
    My parents are looking for a reasonably inexpensive and reliable car. I like the looks of the Galant and so does my Mom. My question is for all you who own the lastest generation Galant, has the quality improved? I only ask because in the past, Mitsubishi was the least reliable and or had quality issues and was the least recomended of the Japanese cars...sort of like Chyrsler, in comparison to Ford and GM...not that they're great cars. I'm not bashing Mitsu, I just want my parents to make a sound decision in there purchase, they're living on a fixed income. I know they're cheaper than Accord and Camry. You have more room for negotiation in terms of price with all the rebates in my area.
  • marak88marak88 Member Posts: 57
    The glove box is covered under warranty, my friend had the same problem, took it to the dealer, its all fixed now, I think they changed the latch for the glove box.

regards
  • 4u24u2 Member Posts: 17
    I have just over 2K miles on my Galant, and the car has been trouble-free. The Galant has excellent styling, great brakes, and handles well. It scores better than other cars in its class for safety. The V6 is also incredibly smooth.

I love driving the car. The Galant is definitely a move in the right direction for Mitsubishi.
  • purp3purp3 Member Posts: 24
    I have a 2000 ES 4cyl. A lot of power and nice styling. I've had it almost a year now. I just love it! To bad the Camry and Accord lovers don't see what a great car it really is! Oh well, their loss! Anyway, I would recommend a Galant to anyone that's looking for a great car at a good price for its class.
    I haven't noticed rattle in it, but every time i hit some dip or if the road is very rough then the glove compartment will be heard, but under normal freeway /city driving , no .

the galant should run like $3000 less than the accord with their rebate ... so whatever more reliable that car is , it's not worth the extra money .... unless you really like it.
  • mpevznermpevzner Member Posts: 41
    Check out how people rate this mitsubishi product on deja.com its reliability and quality are way below that of Honda and Toyota. Not that Honda and Toyota are such great cars, just the mitsubishi is sooo poor... At least the Toyota and Honda dealers either fix or replace their cars if there is a problem. You get what you pay for. If it is $3K cheaper than the competing model from another manufacturer, there is a valid reson for it :)
  • marcinmarcin Member Posts: 64
    everyone knows him in this forum and we are sick and tired of his useless comments and constant whining. boxxer, you can scroll up and see previous posts by this guy and our replies. then you will understand why we do not appreciate his opinions in this forum anymore. i have a '99 Galant ES with 30k miles, and would i've never regret my decision. it's is a great car!
    I agree. I have a '99 GTZ, the wife has a '00 GTZ both have been great. I have about 26k on the 99 and 6500 on the '00. From the post I'v read here as well as other sites. The majority of the people love their galants & don't regret purchasing it. There's always going to be 1 bad apple that wants to ruin the batch. if you do your research you'll find the galant is a good quality car.
    Yeah Mpevzner is a bad apple in this forum. All he does is bash Mitsu! Like was said, if you scroll up you will see all of his posts are bashes! Most of these notes in here are positive comments about the Galant. Don't let Mpevzner influence your decision! He is just like I said a bad apple! The Galant is better looking than Camry and Accord and also less expensive. So, in my opinion and for the money the Galant is hard to beat!
  • ddg2ddg2 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at a '99 gtz with 25,000 miles on it. The asking price is "18,000 or best offer". What would be a good offer on this car and does it sound like a good deal?? I love the styling of the new gtz's and think that they look better than any sedan on the road with the eception of the 2001 maxima se.....witch also costs about 10k more. Tell me a good offer cause I am very interested but can't really afford 18k. Thanks

P.s does anyone think that the galant looks like a linclon LS....(for about half the price)..hahah
    $18k sounds like a reasonable price. Depending on where you are, you might be able to go down a bit $17k???
    Galant looks like Lincoln
    Yeah! Kind'a...
    They both look kind'a like an old bimmer. Galant looks like 3 series and Lincoln like 5 series. As far as the reliability goes Galant and BMW both suck. As for Lincoln - I dunno. I never had it. Go look at all the posts boxxer, not just mine. You'll see that people have problems with:
    1. Noises, rattles, squeaks & etc.
    2. Brake rotor warpage - Galant and Diamante are both prone for their poor brakes.
    3. Electrical problems. And we thought that Mitsubishi was also an electronics manufacturer. Surprise! This company builds the following products:
    1. Airplanes that don't fly.
    2. Tanks that are unusable for any military operations.
    3. Cars that constantly break down.
    It's also a part of Mitsubishi corporate culture to lie to their clients and/or governments of the countries where they sell their products. Instead of supporting their products they try to screw you over and cover their own [non-permissible content removed].
    Please note my post back in the early part of August. Read that and keep in mind that was written when I hadn't even had my Galant for one week. Now I find my seats (and seatbelt) comfortable. Of course I still miss my Protege's size (I agree, Boston14)
  • canadiancarfancanadiancarfan Member Posts: 3
    Why can't we get Mitsubishi in Canada, people from Montreal flock to dealerships in Upstate NY and VT to buy these cars but this car company does no sell north of the border, not very bright !
    Probably Misubishi finds the canadian market less attractive. Lucky you! you get less lemons than the americans :)
    Hey get a life man! Like I said we know how you feel in this forum! Enough is enough! Say your peace and go on! I have no problems with my Galant and the majority in here don't either! So, just because you had a bad experience with your Galant does that mean everyone else will? I don't think so! Cmon and go do your bashing somewhere else!
  • parceroparcero Member Posts: 1
    i've got a 95 ls, bought it used and the churping noise sounds like valve tapping, idles fine, power is ok, but my power locks won't unlock, what's up w/ that? Please advise on the churping noise, i decided to wait til 100k for the timing belt , i live in VA so i figured the Cali rules don't apply to me , but i love this car and i don't wanna see it dead, the churping noise seems to be coming from, well i don't know...anybody w/ similar problems?
    Well dude, we won't argue about the galant being a perfect car .. It does have it's little problems (lucky for me, i got none) .. but then , you have to make a decision about how those little things may impact you ..

For example : is the extra $3000 for a bland looking car that everyone and their dog drives worth the little less discomfort that you may (if unlucky) encounter on the Galant?

Les say the accord : My cousin and I bought our cars the same week .. his 00 accord already developped rattles , mines hasn't. But my other cousin 98 accord haven't had any problems since he got it 3 yrs ago.

My other cousin Camry has also proved to be a really good car ..

The Galant has to prove itself over long time before it can develop trust...

Like I said before the best way is to visit all the forums of cars you have in mind, and you'll see that on any single car, there will always be a complain ...

bottom line: save yourself the extra $3000
  • flya747flya747 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a '99 Galant ES. Three reasons why I bought it, speed, speed and speed. The way it accelerates and it's smoothness, in my opinion, outperforms it's competitors. Camrys, Accords, Civics, etc... are all good cars but they're so boring! Everyone and their cousin drives one. I wanted to drive something different on the road and I though a Galant was different. I've read lots of positive feedback about the car and few negatives. But when I tell people I bought a Mitsubishi, they say " A Mitsubishi, why did you buy a Mitsubishi?!!". I've heard though that Mitsu had problems with their previous galant models but they improved their 1999 and 2000. I hope I made the right choice in terms of dependability and quality (?)
  • vmartinvmartin Member Posts: 1
    OK. I did my homework here on Edmunds & went to buy a GTZ last weekend (Let me say that I have used Edmunds before so I trust their advice). Walked on the lot and a salesman said they were selling GTZs $100 above invoice. Armed with knowledge I was excited about getting a deal close to the TMV. When I set down to talk numbers they stated "Oh, $100 over dealer's invoice" (base invoice+Dest charge+2.8% advertisement fee) and they didn't want to sell the car any lower. I could agree with everything but the 2.8% (Edmunds says 1% or $200). They said 2.8% was mandated by Mitsubishi. By the way, they showed me holdback of over $400 (Edmunds says no holdback for GTZs). Taking all this into account I negotiated a fair price, but what was the dealer really doing? Anyone run into 2.8% advertising on GTZs before?
  • vpitvpit Member Posts: 1
    I have '94 galant Es which has about 76K miles on it. I bought it when it had 72k on it. I was a bit paranoid about the vehicle since it was a used one. But the vehicle has been really great so far, except that the "check engine" light came up a couple of times while the vehicle was on the move. I don't know what the problem is..but it goes off after I slow down or stop the car and start it again. I saw a few similar complaints (#324 and #329). Has anybody else seen the same problem and if so, do you know what the problem is due to??
  • shawn99v6shawn99v6 Member Posts: 4
    Does Anyone know if there is a Strut Tower Brace/Bar available for the 99 Galant?
    The one from the 99/00 Eclipse GT will fit on the 99 Galant. I have one for my GTZ
  • shawn99v6shawn99v6 Member Posts: 4
    Did it make any difference?
    I've seen some guy selling strut bar for the galant on ebay for like $34-38 bucks.
  • silverridesilverride Member Posts: 2
    id had a 93 galant and i was looking for a 2000. went to mitsu to look at the galant, took it for a ride felt crampt and bumpy, went to nissan took the altima for a ride and felt like there was more leg, shoulder, hip, head room and the 16" wheels made the car ride smoother and handle better, and the interior has velor seats as the galant has cloth. and never have to worry about changing the timming belt because the altima has a timming chain.
    Dont what to bust anyones bubble IMO opion the altima is a better, more polished car that love to go fast.
    TTFN