Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• ultratechultratech Member Posts: 142
    Well, I can see the galant offers a $2000 rebate for their 2000 models .., so GO FOR IT !!!
  • kandtkandt Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a GTZ, it's a 99 model with 10 disc changer option. They only make 1500 of these each year, so you don't see many at all, in fact in WV I have only seen 2. It drives great and we have never had to service it except for routine stuff. We only have 15,000 miles on it and it has been great-is very comfortable and reliable, and the stereo is unbelievable. There are side airbags and plenty of luggage space. We regrettably are selling ours due to wife not returning to work, but I highly recommend the car.(We have to keep the van for the kids). It seems to get an awful lot of positive comments from passersby.
  • motortrend1motortrend1 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 99' Gallant I-4ES, silver pearl and I absolutely love it! I tinted the rear windows and set it on -Racing wheels. I bought it due to its aggressive styling and fantastic accelleration. I have had it for 1.5 years and I have not had any problems. The car lives up to its safety crash test ratings too. Back in October, a tow truck ran a red light and smashed into me. I Thank God that he blessed Mitsu with talented engineers that designed a car that could withstand a bashing from a tow truck at 40mph. My Gallant saved my life and was repair able!! I can't tell it was in an accident. It is a fantastic car in every category. It still turns heads at the car wash and gas station, even at stop lights.
  • motortrend1motortrend1 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had a radiator hose problem with 99' or newer Gallants? I a friend of mine also owns a 99' Gallant and he has had a very slight leak of antifreeze around the radiator hose. (the end that connects to the engine) The dealer says that it is due to the clamps loosing tension. Is this a problem common to Gallant or just unique to his car?
  • hwahwahwahwa Member Posts: 25
    rebate on 2000 gallant has been going on for months,2001 rebate is 750.
    i am waiting for 2000 reeebate for 2001 car,any one knows when??
    In carsdirect it says rebate for the 2001 is $1000 ... In 1999 , they started with the $750 , they then had $1500 around april , and $2000 just around december .... So you can expect the same thing for 2001 models , unless they start to sell like hotbread, which i doubt .

I haven;t heard anyone here on on yahoo's club say anyhting about radiator leak ...
    most common complains are rattles and plastic parts falling apart ..
  • steve109steve109 Member Posts: 13
    In response to motortrend1, yes, I too have had antifreeze leak around the hose connection at the top of the radiator on my '00 AS 4cyl.. I noticed "the smell' after I got home from work one evening, popped the hood, and there it was, antifreeze leaking around the connection. I just tightened the clamp, and had no problems since.
  • raziellerazielle Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
    I bought a black Galant GTZ and I LOVE it!! I have been driving everywhere so I hope it can take a whole lotta miles in its lifetime :) I got the 2001 and took the 1.9 financing... I did a bunch of calculations and it made the most sense. So 1,000 miles in, and so far I am 100% thrilled with my new ride!
  • ern35ern35 Member Posts: 11
    I have a '95 Galant ES, and had to have the transmission rebuilt with only 53,000 miles. I have been told that this is a problem with the Galant. Has anyone else had any experience/problems with this? Thanks.
  • kpdriverkpdriver Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1999 ES 4-banger with about 30K miles. For the most part I am very happy with the car. Two minor complaints - Has anyone else noticed the right front edge of the passenger side airbag cover popping up a bit? Most might not even notice it, but it's bugging me a little. Also, I have noticed a tendency at moderate to fairly hard acceleration for the transmission to "hunt" once or twice between 3rd and 4th - not hesitation, but like it is trying to drop into overdrive too quickly. Dealer checked and says no error codes in computer. Anyway, I agree with the vast majority of posts on this board - for the price, there really isn't any competition for Galant.
  • sobright1sobright1 Member Posts: 78
    Automatic transmissions are a long standing weak spot in Galants, and Mitsubishi products in general. If you scroll back on this post a few months you will seem much discussion of this problem. I strongly suggest that you consider the following steps to lengthen the life of your tranny: Change the transmission fluid and filter often. It may seem a waste, but clean fluid made a dramatic difference in my Galant giving me perhaps 10K more miles before time for a rebuild. By the way, the filter is about $15 and is accessable by removing perhaps a dozen bolts and dropping the pan on the bottom of the transmission. When you change this filter you may be able to fortell potential problems down the road by the presence and amount of metal debris on the filter. Next, never use the overdrive in the mountains or when towing even a small trailer. The car will perform fine but the transmission fluid will heat up and begin to break down. The damage will come back to haunt you later. Lastly, have a transmission cooler installed. If you install them yourself (the directions are rather clear) purchased for under $50. You can buy them at any AutoZone or similar store. If you are not mechanically inclined -haul is one place that usually does this type of work. Check with your dealer, but this is generally not a change that jeopardizes your warranty.
  • ern35ern35 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the insight. I did go back and saw the various posts about Gallants/transmissions, as well as other issues I have also had with mine. I will keep that in mind about changing the filter/fluid and will also look into the transmission cooler. I am definitely not mechanically inclined so I will have to have someone else do it for me. At this point, I have two years left on the transmission warranty, and then plan to get rid of the car, so I don't anticipate putting more than 20,000 more miles on it. I don't have to worry about the warranty since the transmission went out 4 months after it expired! I only wish I had kept my '78 Volvo station wagon I got rid of to buy this car!
  • sam2361sam2361 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2001 ES and love it (only 145 miles, though!).

I could have gotten more Honda for less money on a lease, but after driving an Accord for three years, I couldn't bear the boredom any more.

The Accord seats five comfortably to the Galant's four, and the creature comforts are better (much more storage under your right arm on the driver's side; 12 radio stations instead of six; sunglasses holder). Also, the odometer reads in tenths of a mile and the trunk is bigger.

The Accord V6 was 15/mo. cheaper than the Galant (in Atlanta), but styling won out.

If you're looking for a roomier, more comfortable car, go with the Accord. If you want more styling, go with the Galant.

I also drove from Atlanta to B'ham and back (four hours on I-20) and did not see one other Galant, so you'll be driving a much more unique car.
  • cho7819cho7819 Member Posts: 20
    Sam2361, I think your wrong about the 12 radio station presets. In my 2000 Galant ESV6, I noted that there are 12FM presets and 12AM presets. Galant's Tripometer reads the 10ths not the Odometer. I do agree the Galant is painfully small. The engine is way beter than the Accords. I can feel the responsiveness right away, unlike the Accord where you have to spin the engine to about 5000rpm to get any power! The Accord's seats feel comfortable but looks like crap. BTW, the Galant's radio kicks butt compared to accords. I definately feel i made a good decision in buying the Galant.
  • gman28gman28 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2001 Galant LS. I have 4000 miles on it. This morning I awoke to puddles of pink transmission fluid all under the car. It is running down the frame and underbody of the car. It is all inside the rear wheel wells. This doesn't look good. Will take it back to the dealer and wait to hear what they say. Has this happened to anyone else???????????

Pissed off !!!!
    Hi, well I just had a flat tire in front of my house and since it's sunday nobody's open to fix it ... Does anyone know what kind of warranty the tires have? I know most places you buy tires they fix your flat for free ..

About Transmision thing .. I haven't seen anyone here posting that kind of problem yet
  • peterslawpeterslaw Member Posts: 9
    I own a patriot red 2000 Gallant AS (4 cyl.) in June 2000. The car is absolutely gorgeous (minus the scratches--see below for explanation) and handles great. However, I say this now after several months of some problems with the car and the service department.

The problems with my car were numerous: 1) tachometer worked intermittently, 2) dome light didn't shut off (yes I had it in the "off" position or the "door" position), 3) "auto off" function for the headlights didn't work, 4) fuel gage worked improperly, 5) engine block had a oil leak, which was discovered at 9000 miles, 6) brake rotors were warped, 7) stay bolts on back passenger door were missing, 8) steering wheel had a lot of vibration, and 9) had to jump start car twice in December and the car would shut off while driving (battery failed load test).

What was frustrating about these problems was not the problems themselves but the treatment I received from the service department. Every time I brought my car in they were either not able to "duplicate" the problem or they dismissed what I was telling them was wrong (like the oil leak--"It's probably just the rust inhibit or", or like the vibration in the steering wheel--I told them that I thought maybe the tires were out of balance and they told me "It's the way the car is supposed to feel"--they finally balanced the tires and the vibration is gone). Also, for whatever reason, they could not put the car back together properly (dash is never snapped back together, etc). The final straw was the awful scratches/gashes they left in my paint job (presumably from their wash rack). I also found it annoying that a majority of the service representatives told me I should have purchased a Toyota Carry (FYI--this dealership also sells Camrys). I have decided that I would rather drive my car 60 miles to another dealer for service then take it back to where it was being serviced.

I am happy to report that my Galant is problem free since December 26, 2000 (knock on wood and thankfully the car is under warranty). You definitely can't beat the value of the Galant. I sometimes find it hard to believe that I got a good-looking car with mahogany, cd player, power windows/locks, fog lights, etc. for $18,000 out-the-door (ie, price includes 6% sales tax and title). It would be rare to get this kind of a deal on a brand new Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, or VW Passat.

Anyway, has anyone else had any similar problems with their Galant? And, for anyone who lives around Lansing, MI, have you had any problems with the service department at Spartan Motor mall?

If you like, you can email me at Peterslaw@aol.com.
  • boomboxbillyboomboxbilly Member Posts: 1
    I JUST PURCHASED A 2000 MITSUBISHI GALANT GTZ ,THE DEALERSHIP WHERE I PURCHASED IT WAS TOM MASANO, READING PA. EXCELLENT TO DEAL WITH.
    I WAS IMPRESSED WITH THE CARS POWER AND HANDLING, NOT TO MENTION THE GREAT GAS MILEAGE. THE INFINITY SOUND SYSTEM COULDN'T BE BETTER !! THE PRICE WASN'T BAD, AFTER CAR SHOPPING FOR A WHILE, THIS CAR SHOULD BE THE BANG FOR THE BUCK !
  • whit16whit16 Member Posts: 2
    kpdriver Yes I have the popping up airbag problem that you have in my 1998. But other than that I have had no problems. I am actually considering returning it (its a Lease)and purchasing the 2000 or 2001.I had a '96 and other than a defective brake caliper it was basically problem free. So i feel that along with my history and what I've heard here, I think I'm gonna do it. Any prices paid(I probably going for 2001)appreciated...
  • whit16whit16 Member Posts: 2
    I live in NJ but leased my 1998 from Tom Masano. Very helpful and nice. Not pushy at all. I had taken over a lease of a 1996 from my parents which was over the mileage and a couple of scratches and dings. I traded that in for my 1998 with no problems. They are running the same deal now which I will take advantage of. I want to got there again but am trying to find a dealer closer to home for service reasons. I hope I find a dealer as great as those guys...
  • purp3purp3 Member Posts: 24
    I bought my silver metallic in Dec 1999. Totally love it and think it is a great piece of machinery! I was at the Mitsu plant in Normal a little over a month ago. You should see this place! It is huge! So many cars outside that it was unreal! One question, I changed my air filter just a few days ago with 15K miles on it. I don't think I drive on to many dusty roads but maybe I do. I noticed a lot of black on the bottom of the filter. Looks like the old one was doing its job! Anyway, I attributed the black to the air quality around where I live. I changed the filter and all is OK so far. Engine runs great and has good pickup. I love it and hope to maybe get it paid off in a couple of years. Happy motoring!
  • boston14boston14 Member Posts: 111
    I replaced my tires at 11k for my 2000 es 4cyl already. I went 2 sizes wider at 215 60 15 and I think its worth every penny. The 195 65 15 are just too small and that size tire if one checks is on cars like the Focus, Protege ES and other smaller cars. I would have gone to 225 size but the guide book only went to 215 for plus sizing. Besides I didnt want to take a chance on the tire hitting the strut. Do what I did and you will love the difference.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I sat in like 3 or 4 different Galant models and it doesn't seem the seat goes back far enough for me. i am 6'3 and weigh about 270 lbs. and it seems that I need more leg room to be comfortable. How about you people who are my size or larger and have a Galant? Can you all get comfortable and stay comfortable in it?

Also, how is fuel economy with the V6 engine? I want a V6, but don't wanna put premium gas in it. Is it required?

Lastly, how are the new-generation Galants holding up from 1999 on? Just curious, because I know some of the older models had transmission problems and such and I want a reliable car. Thanks alot in advance for your help.
    THE GALANT MIGHT NOT BE THE BEST CHOICE. I AM ONLY 5 5 AND OFTEN WONDER HOW IN THE WORLD DO REALLY TALL PEOPLE LIKE THIS CAR? I FEEL INTERIOR ROOM IS THE GALANT'S ONLY WEAK SPOT SO FAR IN OVER 1 YR OVER DRIVING. THE 4CYL IS JUST FINE TO ME, ITS HAS A GREAT REV TO IT AND I HAVE NO REGRETS ABOUT BUYING MY GALANT.
    Well, I'm 6 ' , and driver seat is not a problem to me at all .... I put it all the way to the back, and my back is straight .. and I'm really comfortable .. It depends a lot on your driving style ... My friend who's like 5'5 drives like he's sleeping , so he puts the chair very close for the pedals and the back is all the way to the back ..

About transmission ... Someone posted about that problem with his 95 galant I think ... but since the new generations is still kind of new, we may not know much about it yet ... If you're thinking of getting rid of it after warranty expires.. that shouldn't be a big deal.

About fuel .. I'm getting 24 mpg on like 50% freeway .. 4-cyl ... 89

About tires, I'm gonna upgrade for 17" .. I think bigger wheels look better ..
  • annem2annem2 Member Posts: 1
    At about 10,000 miles, my 2000 Galant has started falling apart. The trim came off from around the headlight, trim came off of driver's door, overhead lights fell out, vents fell out, suspension under left front and right rear are bad, the vents aren't blowing right, and now they're saying I need a new radiator. Is mine the only Galant with this many problems? Not to mention that we're having a big problem with the service department. Their first diagnosis for every problem is that "It's supposed to do that". i can't believe Mitsubishi would manufacture a car that is "supposed to do" all of the problems mine's having.
  • dapotatodapotato Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Gallant AS 4cyl that I purchased in September of 1999 now has 34,000 miles on it. I have not had any problems with it other than the a rattle in the drivers door, the map light falling out and the weather stripping around one of the headlights needed to be replaced. The dealer did a great job of repairing these small problems. I am wondering if an extended warranty on the car would be worth it? I just priced a warranty through 1sourceautowarranty.com and a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty would be $836. Does anyone have any experience with 1 Source Auto Warranty?? Thanks in advance for your advice.
  • homer61388homer61388 Member Posts: 54
    My nephew is shopping for a brand new car. He is fed up with his mazda 626 after all the problems he's had as well as the crap that the dealer gives him. He is considering an Es 4-cylinder galant and is wonder if the galant will out preform his 4cylinder 626? Also, the 626 was excellent in snowy weather and is wonder if the galant will be? Anyone driven a galant is foul weather? Another question, is Mitsubishi reliable? If you could please send back any information about the galant it will be very helpful.
  • mich2kmich2k Member Posts: 2
    I have problem with leaking rims,all of them.Turned and rebalanced tires maybe 5-6 times.Finally change two fronts.Mileage under 30K.Also had failure ABS unit,replaced underwarranty.I satisfied with engine perfomance and handling,
    But still tnihking about durability,vary intresting posting about bad trannies..
    I 'd like to hear somebody who has 1999 model about their experience with Galant ES.
    I dont know,do I have sell this car and stick with another?(which one has same engine for 20k)
    It shoud be worth it .. maybe .. well to my on experience only maybe on american cars ... they do requiere you to do all the maintanance and keep all your recepts or proofs ... also they only cover major stuff .. a lot of electric and computer related problems they won't cover ...All japanese cars should last at least 5 years , so what I would do is If unsure about long term reliability of your galant, just get rid of it after the warranty expires or after like 5 years ...
  • motortrendmotortrend Member Posts: 1
    homer61388, Your nephew should surely by a Galant. I have a 1999 ES 4cyl. with 22K. I have not had any major problems with it so far. I have only replaced a hose clamp with a better designed one. Other than that no serious problems. I out of all the cars I've driven ( a lot) I think the Galant 4cyl. to be the best I have ever driven. Even with so much pep the gas mileage is still great! As far as looks go, I still smile everytime I visit the car wash. There's nothing better than having a reliable car that turns heads too.

Summary: Mitsubishi builds great cars!!
    I live in Michigan and we have had a lot of snow this year. I must tell you that I am very impressed with how my 2000 Galant ES (4 cyl.) handles. It beats the 1994 Honda Accord that I drove for 4 winters. No more "white-knuckles".
  • havingfun29havingfun29 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 galant es..ive been having w/ the car vibrating at speeds of 65mph. the steering wheel shakes, the passenger seat, the sun visor, etc. i had the wheels balanced twice! any suggestions??
  • hotrod051hotrod051 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2000 Galant ES V6. I have had no problems with it other than some squeeky brakes that were fixed. I am looking to change the foglights mainly to improve the looks of the car. I changed the headlights to the new fake Xenon lights and I think the car looks a little bit classier. For $20 at Wal-Mart it was a good investment. If anyone can give me information on what type of aftermarket foglights would be good or if I can even change them without having to change the wiring. Thanks!
  • sobright1sobright1 Member Posts: 78
    Another unlikely, but possible source of the vibration is, believe it or not, the transmission. My when the torque converter started to go out in my 1990 Galant it would shake at higher speeds like you describe. In my case it would vibrate for a few seconds, stop, then start up again. After repeated alignments and balancings, then changing two rims unnecessarily, I noticed that the vibration was not as bad when I shut off the overdrive. Changing the fluid bought me temporary relief but a rebuild was necessary. You are probably on the right track as the problems are most probably 1. Out of alignment tires. 2 Out of balance tires. 3. Irregularly worn tires - perhaps even a steel band or tread separation 4. Bent rim 5. Torque converter 6. Broken motor mounts (longshot to cause the problem but problematic on Galants).
  • mich2kmich2k Member Posts: 2
    I 'd like to replace my horrible eagles tires.
    Does anybody have some idea if there are better tires than GY,but not very expensive?.
    Does 3-36k warrantie covered rims?
    I replaced my Goodyear with Bf goodrich Touring TA 215 60 15 H rated speed for 62.00 each at Sam's Club. They ride about the same as the Goodyear Eagles Ls tires that to me were just fine, but at 195 size doesnt corner well or gave a good steering feel. If you want to really save try to find Cavalier tires, they are made by Michelin. I got 205 60 15 H rated for 50 each. They are better than my Goodrich tires as they are very quiet. Toyo Z800 ultra is the best of all but rather expensive. They cost me 64.00 for 185 70 13 tires so for 15 size about 100 and up.
    Edmunds? I rented one for 2 days and thought it was one hell of a fun ride. That 3.5 engine rocks and to me had no fuzzy or confused transmission at all. It was ranked 8 out of 8 in a comparsion test by Edmunds. I saw one advertised in the Seattle area new for 22k and if I didnt get the Galant first would have jumped for the Diamante. Best part of my vacation was the car rental that how much I want a Diamante now.
  • vac23vac23 Member Posts: 118
    The Galant would be a good choice. I live in the snow belt & the GTZ handles decent in snow, it's even better now that I changed to a new set of tires. The g/y tires were alright on dry pavement but not on wet. As far as reliability goes, Mitsu is not up there w/hondas & toyotas but they can hold their own. Haven't had any major problems up until today when I found out my right rear wheel bearings needs to be replace. I currently have alittle over 29k miles on it so hopefully it's covered under warranty if not I guess I'll make them. I was qouted $390 at a independent shop to replace the bearings.

F/L
    Someone from another forum replace their existing fogs w/ ones from catz I think the model is "MSC" They stated they didn't need the wiring that came w/ the lights. It'll work w/ the existing wiring for the factory fogs.
  • vac23vac23 Member Posts: 118
    In case someone hasn't heard yet. A recall was issued last week to have one of the transmission lines replaced due to a manufactuering defect. It affects all galants made between 3/98-12/00. For more info go to www.nhtsa.dot.gov & put in your vehicle info under the recall heading.
  • steve109steve109 Member Posts: 13
    I also would like to increase the size of my tires to 215-60-15. This is probably a silly question, can I use the existing original stock rims??
    215 60 15 will be just fine for the original rims. I would have loved to go to 225 but some places will not go beyond the guide books for plus sizing.
  • wino2wino2 Member Posts: 1
    I've had a load of problems with my 99 mits. besides trim pieces falling off, i've had the transmission replaced ( I was told erratic & abrupt shifting was normal, for 48,000 mi.)Then a seal failed and dumped trans fluid all over driveway. At 54,000 mi my brakes grind,the dash rattles and I hold my breath that it continues to run.I can't wait to dump this load.I'll buy another Maxima (what a great car)
    that is a whole lot of terrain you crossed. I guess that would be like asking NFL teams to play 3 games a week.
  • gtztwinturbogtztwinturbo Member Posts: 1
    Gallant are great cars. I've had a couple of Mitsubishi's before (2 stations and a talon psi(eclipse gsx) and for me to buy a 4dr was a dread. Especially knowing that threes not much that can be hooked up on the car. But persistence pays off. Had my GTZ for about 4 moths now going onto 8000 miles. Haven't had a problem yet except for the car being keyed the at the dealer and not seeing it until the next day (dealer wouldn't take responsibility of it). Oh well. Anyway not sure if we have anyone who loves to hook up their cars like I do. I pretty sure if you looked there was only a couple of things you did find for it weapon I intake and custom exhaust. I did some research did find some for these cars. My GTZ didn't even break 80 miles (60 from dealer swap) same day picking it up from the dealer and had a custom cat back exhaust to a turbo dunk (great top end power) and apex-i filter adapter (pushed 115mph, after break in period, with no hesitation) As of now 4mths later and 8000 miles car has:

2001 Galant GTZ dover white
    apex-i intake
    apex-i turbo dunk w/ custom piping
    coilover suspension w/ adjustable struts (2.5")
    bigger power slot rotors frnt/rear
    bigger 2 piston calipers front
    LS front stabilizer bar
    lower pulley
    custom rear lights
    17" enkei shoguns w/ nitto 450's
    triptonic shifter

getting done within these 2-3 weeks
    custom body kit
    engine work (custom twin turbo)
    and misc electronics

Have fun and good luck with your cars

John
    e-mail me if you need performace parts for these car
  • sd2775906sd2775906 Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking of buying a GTZ. I've read all 545 posts(pretty lame, huh), but the posts about the reliability problems have made me think about buying another Honda Accord. Whoever has a 2001 Galant,especially the GTZ, email me at sd2775906@aol.com with your own experiences. Would you recommend the GTZ? It would help me alot, Thanks.
  • jmcdermottjmcdermott Member Posts: 4
    Hey folks,
    I'm looking to buy a 2001 Es 4cyl. and would like some feedback on gas mileage. 21 city and 28 hwy is what is in print but is anyone doing better? It will be drive 2800-3200 hwy miles a month in Florida, i.e. no hills. Any help will be appreciated thanks
    gets around 22 combined mpg and its about the same as most other midsize cars I have driven. To me a few miles difference between cars in a similar size should not make or break your decision to buy a Galant. YOU will love the 2.4 engine, its is a blast to me.
    Boston14 you must work for a Mitsubishi dealership. Your remark to Wino2's post is the same as what I got from the service manager and the service representative when I started to complain about the problems with my Galant.
  • blf2blf2 Member Posts: 38
    We have over 11,000 miles on our 00GTZ and it's been great! We had a couple service items, the SRS(airbag)light stayed on and the glove box had an annoying rattle. They replaced the passenger seatback(where the side airbag & sensor are located)and the SRS light has operated as it should. They replaced the glovebox locking latch and now the car is quiet again! With the V-6 we've been getting 28-30mpg hwy, and around 22-26 in town, it's a very smooth motor w/ great low-end acceleration. We test drove the Acura CL, Honda V6, and Toyota CamryV6,and chose the GTZ due to price, 1.9 financing, unique styling, and overall value. The Acura would be the only car I would have rather had if I were to do it again, but it's also about $5000 more w/ the same equipment!