Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• purp3purp3 Member Posts: 24
    I've been looking at this forum the past few months and agree that MPEVZNER has worn out his welcome! We all know he has a GALANT and hates it! Well, you are in the minority MPEVZNER! Most of the people in this forum really love their Galant! I know I love mine! I have a 2000 ES. Took a trip to Alabama today and got 30mpg on the highway. Not to bad! The best I got was 33mpg on the highway. So, back to MPEVZNER, you need to move on with your life and quit bashing Mitsu! You've already put enough messages in here letting everyone know how you feel! Please stop and take up your problems elsewhere!! Also, with respect to a manual transmission on 2000 Galants, I am under the assumption that Mitsu doesn't make one.
  • lrisrlrisr Member Posts: 8
    Hi everyone! I just wanted to say that I am a second time around owner of a Galant. I bought my new one in March at Ourisman Mitsubishi in Maryland. Dover White Pearl 4 cyl ES with Premium package and it had 0 miles on it. It had just been delivered to the dealer that week. I have about 1400 miles on it now. I don't drive much! My first car was an 89 Galant and when I traded it in, it had 180,020 miles on it. I bought it used in 94 for $4K and got $1K for it as a trade in. Totally not worth 1k but I squeezed as much as I could out of them given that it still had original parts in it! I got 0 down, 0 payments for 3 months and 4.9 APR for 5 years. Was not in the market for a new car, I planned on buying used but I saw the new Galants at Carmax in MD and was very impressed. Went to Ourisman test drove it, went home thought about it, and got it the next day. The sticker price was $21,352 and after all was said and done with tax, title and freight I paid $21,335. Probably a little high after reading all these posts but it fell within my budget for a car. I threatened to walk out of there 3 times(I asked for my keys back to my old car repeatedly) until they gave me a payment schedule that I approved of. All in all I'm happy with my car, I'm happy with my payment schedule and boy do those 4 cyls have pep. I left a Honda with a Vtech engine eating my dust one day!!
  • workathomeworkathome Member Posts: 13
    Anybody wonder about the extra options: vr4, manual trans, turbo, etc... well, doing some checking on the web, it seems that Mitsu. decided that the American public wasn't hip on buying these options and therefore don't put them on the cars here. But in Japan there are these kind of cars.... meaning... well, you can import these features, of course, that means paying serious $$$. OR as faithful Mitsu buyers, we could put our voices together, creating a loud voice, and speak our desires as consumers of their product.
    I know the Galant is assembled in Normal, IL. Now we just have to find the place to send our requests and/or suggestions to headquarters!!!
    So has anybody put the "white lights" on their new Galants?? I put the Sylvania cool blue on my LS and it does seem a bit brighter.
  • trigger9trigger9 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the update. I wondered why Edmonds site listed the 2000 Galant available with a manual transmission. I guess they were also fooled into believing this option was really available for the average consumer.

Oh well, for what it's worth Mitsubishi, I am one customer that would purchase another Galant today, provided it had a manual transmission. Since this vehicle is not available in my area (or perhaps the U.S.), I will purchase VW, Nissan or Honda, as they do provide options for their customers.
  • cgacga Member Posts: 23
    Yes, I installed a pair purchased from Walmart, whose everyday price was interestingly (and perhaps still is) about half of what I had seen everywhere else for the identical bulb type and output. I believe they're Sylvania brand.

The whiter and brighter output is noticeable, and in my opinion a significant improvement though difficult to quantify. I had a difficult time figuring out that you must squeeze the wire socket horizontally, and very carefully, in order to remove the wiring harness. The owner's manual merely says the harness should be pulled straight back, which of course won't work unless you squeeze just right.

After installation I noticed that the cutoff pattern of one light is lower than other, even though I didn't bend or misalign anything. Could be the bulb itself. I'm not satisfied with the cutoff pattern, but that's a Mitsub. design issue. The improved light output of these bulbs minimizes the cutoff and, for me, is much improved (and legal).

Now if I could only figure out how to install better fog lights and daytime running lights --- the dealer has flatly refused to help, even after I offered to pay for either the wiring information alone or for the complete installation. Also, the emergency brake lever/dashboard is still pinching my normal-sized right leg...but I've given up on this. By the way, my gas mileage is 27mpg (2000 V4 ES) in the warm weather with very little highway or city driving.

I'm sorry to say I'm very disappointed with my local service department, but I still like the car and would recommend it.
  • vac23vac23 Member Posts: 118
    Here's a link that might give you an idea of how the wiring for the fog lamps are. It's on a 2000 Eclipse, but should be similiar to the galants.

http://rob_sullivan.tripod.com/fogmod.html
    Bravo...your link and accompanying wiring instructions and photos are very well done and informative.

I may very well give it a try, though to be honest what I'd really like is a way to wire either the headlights or fog lights to automatically come on with the ignition, without routing a separate switch into the passenger area. The problem is using a voltmeter, I couldn't find a single hot wire that stays off when the ignition is turned off. Apparently the headlights are also controlled by a timer and/or ECM, as well as by the dashboard switch, which complicates matters.

Thanks again vac23.
  • mpevznermpevzner Member Posts: 41
    Mitsu-bishi -bash! -bash! I am gonna bash any lousy product in the market, no matter who produced it. As for moving on, I haven't decided yet should I buy Mercedes E430 4Matic or Audi A6 2.7T. Even though the A6 design is quastionable, I'll probably choose it over the Benz. I don't want another Daimler-Chrysler-Mitsubishi lemon.
    On the 99-00 Galants you can leave the headlight switch in the on position. everytime you start your car the light will come on. It'll turn off by itself when you turn off the car & open the driver's door, otherwise it turn off in 2mins. Not sure if you knew this or not. It beats trying to re-wire the headlights
    Thanks, yes, I'm aware of that. I don't know enough to be sure, but I think the timed headlight feature may conflict with an aftermarket daytime running light kit I've been using on other cars, which requires a hot lead that stays off when the ignition is off.
    Let me know if you try doing the mod on the fogs. I was thinking of putting in a third set right next to the current fogs. There is a place there on mine to fit. Think that would be to much??

And also, I saw a ground package that you can get for 8 hun out of NY. I was going to do just the sides for now and see what it looked like.
    the site is www.spoilers.com, this is the only place I've found to have any aftermarket packages.

Mods I've done to mine so far.
    1.Taped out the HL with color matching.
    2.Color matched the grill, which defines the car more, and left a patch of chrome in the center. almost like the GTZ.
    3.Pulled off the Mitsu chrome name and 3 diamond HUGE thing.. (careful, its got holes)

Has anyone put a K&N filter in their Galant yet?
  • yadilosyadilos Member Posts: 2
    Sorry if this has been posted before and I missed it, but C&D ran a 40,000 mile update for their Galant in the June issue. Appears they still dig it. Low maintenance cost, quicker, and almost all positive comments in the logbook. Cool. You might wanna pick up a copy if you can still find one.

My silver 2000 V-6 ES is at 5,400 miles and received it's first purple heart. One of those "little old ladies backed into me" stories. Dented the front fender and scrapped the front bumper for a total of $850. :(
    Thanks for the link. I'll let you know if I try the fog light modification, but as you mentioned, in the end I'll probably try and install an additional set of lights -- I guess there's room next to the current fog lights for one of those newer small profile types. I have a set of very large Hella lights which are excellent, but installing those would require cutting out some of the plastic housing around the stock fog lights (which I'd rather avoid).
    They picked Galant because they were paid for it. If Yugo paid them enough (and if it was still in production) they would probably pick it as 'most reliable car' too. As for the Lemon law in California, if there's no safety issue - the car is not a lemon. For example if you sunroof is stuck and would not open - it's not a lemon because it makes the car unpleasant, but doesn't make it unsafe. So if you figure out that your car is unsafe to drive, you can claim it a lemon, PROVIDED YOU SURVIVED after discovering it.
    Being a consultant myself, I know that any advice (or other consulting) that you get for free is worth the EXACT AMOUNT OF MONEY YOU PAID FOR IT! This is how I value AAA, "Car and Driver" and all that crap. I trust something that I have seen, touched, drove not what I read about. Just by the way, do you know why journalists are sometimes referred as "second most ancient profession" or "professional unemloyed"? Because their job is to write about things they have no idea about.
  • bigb8bigb8 Member Posts: 6
    MPEVZNER, I am new to this page but your complaining is tiresome already. If so called established 3rd pary experts are not satisfactory then who do we go to for advice? You? I recently purchased a 2000 Galant ES for 60 months @ 0.9% and love it. I traded in a Nissan Altima, which was reliable and had a nice 4 cyl engine but was just ugly. I think Mitsubishi did it right with the new Galant. The styling is original the engine is adequate, though I wished it did have a 5-speed, and the price and special financing rates are unbeatable in this price range. I've only had it about 3 weeks but so far so good. It has a nice ride and feel. Some people need to find different outlets for there frustrations. If you don't like the car trade it in and move on....
  • sajaysajay Member Posts: 1
    hello everyone,
    i just purchased a galant from a dealer who avertised it as 97' but when i checked the VIN no it showed me that it was purchased in the month of DEC 97'.... so how do i know whether its a 97' or 98' model car and is there any difference bet' 97' and 98'...if any can let me know i'll be really happy.
    Let's take a vote here. Of all the Galant owners in this forum who thinks their car is a piece of junk? You're in the minority MP accept it & move on.
    YO - SHUT UP on your complaints. I LOVE MY GALANT. I drove it from LA to Chicago and it drove like a dream. 00 LS Well, gee, there is one thing wrong, MP, I keep running out of road cuz my car rides so smooooooth!! My car is blessed in the city and blessed on the highway!

Seriously dude, you need to get a LIFE!!!
    HE'S a SPY......... the dirty Dozen, Hitler of the Galants. Spray 'em down boys. Mitsu came out with a "kickin" machine (the Galant V6) and now they're trying to take us down.

As a great man once said, "Son, it's not where you start but it's where you finish." So far Mits has finished with an outstanding product. Next year will be even better hopefully.
    The BEST is YET To Come!!!!

MMGC - Millennium Mitsu Galant Club...

Anyone want to JOIN MMGC ??
    Millenium Mitsubishi Galant Club

Check it out!!!
    http://www.egroups.com/subscribe/mmgc
  • magwaimagwai Member Posts: 4
    I bought it in January and feel pretty happy with car so far. Idle was smooth for first couple thousand miles but started getting rough and noticed engine vibration more on park or in neutral. Had more hesitation when flooring it also and felt that car wasn't as fast as before. Took it in to dealership and had 12000 mile service done to it. Car feels like it was running new again so don't know what they did to make it run good again. They said nothing was wrong with my engine and idle was smooth. Any idea what could've happened to my car and what dealership did to fix it? I've been putting 92 octane gas from good gas stations so dont think its the gas. Changed oil every 3000 so far also. I think for new car, engine should be smooth and worry free. Used to driving smooth Hondas and Toyotas. Overall happy with car because not that many people have GTZ's but wish this was AWD turbo model available in Japan with 280 hp with manual tranny.
  • marcinmarcin Member Posts: 64
    just one question - if you can afford to buy Audi, BMW or Mercedes why did you buy a Galant? If you can afford these all-German cars then just trade your Galant and your whining will be over! And this forum had enough of you already.
  • epikgtzepikgtz Member Posts: 18
    Here is some information about VIN Numbers (at least I am pretty sure this is accurate):

1st number = Country (4 = US)
    2nd number = Make, E=Eagle, A=Mitsu, P=Plymouth
    3rd number = Vehicle Type (3=Car)
    4th number = Seat Belts? (B=Manual, C=Auto)
    5th number = Line (S=FWD models, T=AWD, etc.)
    6th number = Price Class (Higher number=higher trim)
    7th number = Body Style (4=Hatchback)
    8th number = Engine size (dunno how it's determined)
    9th number = A verification code, to verify the other data. (I dunno how that is determined either)

Here's the important one for you...

10th number = Year, A=1980, B=1981. They skipped I and O (probably so they wouldn't get confused for numbers), so J=1988 and P=1993. (so in your case if the 10th number is T, then your car is a '97 and if it's a U, then you have a '98)

11th number = Plant by Make (K = DSM in Normal, IL)
    12-17 = Serial Number, Assumably sequintial, but some manufacturers use encoding of more data here, e.g. I think Harley used only even number in even years. DSM may incorporate some such system as well.

For example VIN # 4A3BS44T3PExxxxxx would be aa US made, Mitsubishi, Car, made in 1993 and came out of the Normal IL. plant.

I hope this helps.

- EpiKGTZ
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Posters like MPEVZNER aren't new to these forums. There was a similar poster in the Honda forums.

If you ignore these whiners, they will go away. They can't stand being ignored!

And he is thinking about buying a Audi !!??

He has no idea what real troubles are!!
  • floridianfloridian Member Posts: 219
    fwiw: just returned from a round trip from central florida to colunbus ohio. drove my '99 galant 4cyl solo up I75,a little over 900 miles in 14 hours. average 32 mpg. running with the "big dogs" 80 to 85 mph the whole way (no tickets)this car is terrific. a total of 16k on the thing. no squeeks, rattles or other problems. for the money it blows away all in it's class hands down. go suck an egg MPEVZNER !!!

floridian
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    Are both welcome as long as they intended to help both owners and shoppers. While all are encouraged to provide information about positive and negative experiences, these forums shouldn't be used to blow off steam about a bad experience. Please keep this in mind as well as the general guidelines regarding civil discourse in the Participants' Agreement. I've not deleted anything yet but fear that I may have to soon...

Take care,

L8_Apex
    Sedans Host
  • mishabr22mishabr22 Member Posts: 1
    I got a flat this evening, and i had to change the tire under the heavy rain :(
    Anyway, when i went to the closest shop to fix my tire, he told me that my tire is more than half worn, and that it is got 10K miles left. This is the front right-side tire, I have only 8K on my car, and i am wondering if it is normal.
    Other than that, i got absolutely no problems with my car, it runs strong, and i am not sorry that i got Galant.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    I agree with you except for one thing. He will not have any more trouble with Audi than he did with his Galant. I know as I am the proud owner of a VW Jetta. Lots of component sharing with Audi since Audi is owned by VW. For the record, I had a 97 Civic and a 96 Integra. Both were CRAP. Could not handle the abuse I put on them. My VW is the only car that is durable for my kind of driving - meaning hard and fast.

Just had to defend the good VW/Audi name...:)
    I am sure the Galants are better than the Hondas. I am intrigued by all the great finance rates. How is everyone finding the windnoise and tire noise in their cars??
    I love my new 2000 Galant ES. The only problem is that my dome light keeps falling out and won't stay in place. I am taking it to the dealer but do find it disheartening since I've only had the vehicle 3 weeks. Otherwise no problems.
    The 1.9% for 60 months got me in the store. Have not had any problem with wind or tire noise...
    As I don't want to turn this message board into a pissing contest I ain't gonna answer to all the insulting posts. I believe that it's pretty obvious for everyone that people who post insults are not worth our attention. I don't work for any car manufacturer and I am in no way affiliated with car business. I believe I have some fairly decent knowledge of cars, because I have a professional race car driver's license and I participated in several rally championships including winter rally in Russia, Sweden and Finland. If you have ever tried racing on snow and ice you know what the hell I am talking about. I bought Mitsubishi because I had some good experience with their old cars. The other reason was that I wanted a reasonably-priced trouble-free vehicle for everyday driving. I wanted to save some money for my custom-built sports car (I wanted an Impreza WRX or a Porsche). It seems to me that this approach didn't work very well. Galant doesn't seem to be a good everyday driver. It's because of the poor quality. I don't believe in Honda and Toyota quality either, my friends had anough bad experience with these cars. If I buy an A6 or an E class I will have to wait with my fun car for a while. I have also lost money by buying Galant, because their resale value sucks, which makes it even more frustrating. When I bought this car I never intended to sell it any time soon.
    Galant has lousy goodyears which are noisy. My car has $15K and they are almost gone. If I will have to keep the car I'll replace them under warranty and put the new ones on eBay. Michelin, Yokohama are definiety better and more expensive. The wind noise is also available as an option, if you turn the stereo off. As my hearing is not very good, so I don't care for it too much.
  • jordeejordee Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone seen the Mitsubishi commercials on TV? I do not understand, they say that for a ltd time you can get a Mitsu for 0.9 APR for 5 years? WHAT IS THAT?
    Thanks
    Regarding wind and vehicle noise -- the first thing I noticed about the Galant when I test drove it was how quiet it is. And frankly this is one of the main reasons I bought it, along with the zero percent three year financing. I've read others complain about wind and vehicle noise and am perplexed. On the one hand at steady speed I find the Galant the quietest car I've ever owned on the road, and am wondering how it is mine is so quiet while others aren't (my hearing is good); and on the other hand I'm wondering why so few people are NOT annoyed by the emergency brake lever/dashboard right leg pinching (on a normal leg). The resale value issue is a fairly significant black mark against the car, but if you hold onto it long enough this factor becomes less and less important. The original tires on my car, by the way, are decidely quiet, but the car has a slight, but to me annoying hesitation that I noticed from the day I bought it, but the dealer refuses to even address this issue. Still...I like the car and by comparison consider it a good value in a universe of absurdly inflated sticker prices.
    I have a '99 GTZ with Goodyear eagles on them. They are extremely noise. I test drove a ES 4cyl which doesn't have Goodyears on them & the interior noise was very quiet. Good thing the tires are going to need replacing by the end of the summer. Gonna put Michelins on them. THat should help lower the noise level inside
  • ultratechultratech Member Posts: 142
    When I bought mines, the dealer didn't even mentioned the ad fee, they just told me a higher invoice, i mean like $200 higher than everyone else Then they just added $250 over that invoice...
    About tire noice, I have bridgestone tires on my 4-cyl, and no noice at all ...
    no complains about emergency brake, lights , rattles, handling, ...
  • floridianfloridian Member Posts: 219
    our resident Galant hater (we all know who that is)must be flogging the living hell out of his car. Goodyear tires as bad as they are should not "be almost gone" at 15k unless they have been grossley abused. Replaced under warranty ? Get real they'll laugh him out of the shop !! Mine have 16k on them and have virtually no measurable wear (not even been rotated)me thinks the boasting about a "racing license", European winter competetion etc is at best a bunch of "malarky" Anyone so informed about things automotive would have certainly seen thru the "glossy paint and good looks" to see the really crummy car beneath that he seems to be convinced that the car is. I feel he just has a BIG case of buyer remorse and is looking for a scapegoat in the car itself.You will never convince me that the Galant is no less than the BEST buy in it's class and I love mine and the other NINE (yes 9)that all my service reps drive.

Sorry old man, buy in haste, repent at leasure !!

Floridian (aka killjoy)
    that Goodyear Eagles do stink. My Jetta has them, only has just over 15k, and the dealer is replacing them for free today. There was a bad batch of Goodyear Eagles produced in early 99 I guess (bought my car in 4/99, it was made in 3/99 in Mexico). They are putting the same brand and type of tires on, but have promised me that they won't be bald within 15k miles.....
    I have a '00 GTZ and haven't noticed any tire noise at all. In fact as someone else said above, this is the quietest car I have ever owned. I have heard lots of people complaining (not just Mitsu people) about problems with the Goodyear tires. My question is: Are the Goodyear tires the same on the GTZ as they are on the others? And do any other GTZ owners have a problem with the tires on their car?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    You are whistling in the dark!

VW products have dismal reliability at best. Their record speaks for itself.

But, hey, you're happy and that's what counts!
    what car are you comparing the VW to? The Galant? I think this forum shows just how reliable the Galant is. Read the Accord forums. Read the Camry forums. Read the Benz forums. See a pattern? Yes, EVERYONE complains about their cars. There is no perfect car. Recalls and TSB's on all of them.

Now, I like the Galant. Much better than any of the other Japanese brands. It might not be as reliable, but at least it has a little personality. The Maxima does too I guess, but for thousands more. And I will never get another Nissan again......they are so awful to their customers. But I am LOVING that Mitsu financing...
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I like the Galants too, but my credit isn't good enough to qualify for the financing. I would like the GTZ too, but hear it takes premium gas. That's wayyyy too expensive now. Plus, I commute to DC from Balto. everyday, so gas would kill me.

On another note, I just bought a used 1993 Bonneville SSE with 67K for $7000 for my mother and I love it! I find myself wanting to trade in my 1999 Protege for an older Bonneville. Stupid I know, but it's a thought. :)
    Everyone who has ever participated in any autosports event, knows that the car should be considered TOTALED the very moment it hits the race track. Most of the mass-production cars are not built for competition and can not survive after being raced. It even applies to the limited production vehicles such as Mitsubsishi Lancer EVO, Subaru WRX, Subaru 22B, Lancia EVO and etc. Rebuilding the engine is not that uncommon if the vehicle is being raced, it can be considered a "regular maintenance" procedure if you race it regularly. I've seen Lancer engines that threw the rod, after revving at 8K RPM.
    Needless to say, knowing all that I don't abuse the vehicle too much. Racing on public roads is stupid and illegal. The only bonus you can get is a ticket or an accident, anyway. Racing a car with an automatic gearbox is stupid and no fun. I don't race my Galant. Believe me, If I ever did it, the poor thing wouldn't be able to survive these 15K miles.
    As for the Goodyer tires - we'll see if they will replace them under warranty or not. Usually those Galant owners who don't complain about tires have a 4 cyl. Galant with 15" wheels and Bridgestone tires.
    Ejohanss, I use GEICO for my insurance. Saved about 25% on a yearly basis. They have a 100,000 mile unlimited time extended warranty with a $250 deductible that I purchased for $72 per year. If I place 15k mls a yr on the vehicle it will last about 6 1/2 yrs. That equals out to about $432. Much cheaper than a factory warranty. I live in Dallas as well. You might want to check with them. As far as resale value is concerned, it is true that Mitsi doesn't have a high resale value. But when you get 1.9% financing you're paying mostly principal. Keep it a couple of years and you should be o.k.

Just a few things to consider...

Brian
    If you leave Geico for another insurance company, wouldn't you lose your warranty coverage or will it apply whether or not you are with Geico? 6 1/2 years is quite a long time to stay with one company without shopping around. I guess my point is if you plan on staying with Geico that long then you should consider the warranty they offer otherwise you're probably better off looking for the warranty somewhere else. it's usually cheaper if the warranty is purchased when the car is new.
  • ultratechultratech Member Posts: 142
    Geico is like so expensive, so even with the warranty deal you still end up paying more...
    so i would say buy extended warranty elsewhere, costs like $600-700 for a 7 year 100,000 miles . I did some insurance comparison, and it is like 500 dlls cheaper to buy with 21th century than Geico
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    You can get a brand new Galant ES 4-cylinder for close to that price with all the specials they've been having lately. Forget it.
    Definitely buy new instead. On top of the fact that it won't cost you much more for a brand new one, the financing rates available from Mitsu on a new car right now (1.9% for good credit, 3.9% for "damaged" credit) would actually make your payments LESS than you would if you got used car financing (around 9.9%).

Just my two cents...