Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• blf2blf2 Member Posts: 38
    Like you, I also did a fair amount of research, and picked the Galant (GTZ in my case), mainly because of decent reviews, alot of features for the money, and a look that set it apart from other imports. I still enjoy the car, but I surely agree that $25,000 (24,000 in my case)should be able to get you into a highly reliable automobile. Just looked at Edmunds' resale value for the 2000 GTZ and it's really in the dumper, somewhere around 14,000 trade-in, 15,500 retail, and 17,000 dealer retail. But I also looked up the Honda Accord V6 SE(w/ leather) and it's also not much better, especially considering the higher initial cost. I know I'll NEVER by a new car again, unless I've got a rich uncle I don't know about :). My next car will be a used Infiniti-Lexus-Acura, about 3 years old w/ about 36,000 miles, that way I can still have all the goodies, but for alot less, and more reliable to boot!
  • magwaimagwai Member Posts: 4
    Why are all reviews from Edmunds, R&T, C&D for 99-01 Galant so good when almost everyone on these boards are complaining about it. Did Mitsu pay them off or something???

Yes I definitely would not recommend Galant for any new car buyers out there. I thought I was getting a really good sport sedan for 25k but I was disappointed after few months. Anyone else notice these problems with their V6 Galants?

1)When in D and car been running for awhile, when stopped at a light...hissing and buzzing sounds coming from engine compartment. Took it to dealer and they couldn't hear anything abnormal. Car has 34k on it and had 30k service already and these annoying noises still there. Anyone have any opinions on this problem?

2)Got glovebox fixed but some bolt or nut loose underneath driver seat and makes noise whenever I make sharp turn. Also, misc. rattles from front passenger side window, or door, or seatbelt anchor but can't pinpoint where they're coming from???

3)After owning car for several months, wind noise and tire roar seem to get louder and louder. I think Civic cabin or less expensive cars quieter than Galants during freeway speeds.

4)Intelligent tranny not so intelligent.

Overall, car drives solid and performance decent. Also didn't get recall notice for wiring harness...wiring harness for what? I got recall for tranny oil cooler lines and steering nut thing but not wiring harness. Can someone explain what this was for? Mitsu motors not so respected in Japan and Japanese consumers staying away. Weird thing is Mitsu broke sales records in U.S. Good marketing campaign with hip music and commercials but unfortunately they trick public into buyin not so hip cars.
  • vadim_stvadim_st Member Posts: 13
    After owning a Galant for a while, and reading reviews and postings, I have come to a concludion that the Consumer Reports evaluation (car - average, reliability - average, owner satisfaction - below average) really reflects the reality. Other reviews center only on the immediate driving experience with a brand new car, which is not what we really need.
  • blf2blf2 Member Posts: 38
    I haven't experienced problems 1&4 but did have the glovebox rattle(no more, thank goodness), no other rattles however! Also had the 2 recalls, not one for the wiring harness, it must've been for other models, not the GTZ's. Agree about the wind&road noise, too much for my liking. My stepmom has an Audi A4, and that thing is so solid & quiet you can hardly tell if it's running, granted, it's about $8,000 more. Our 88 Accord is quieter than the Galant, the road noise may be in large part due to the tires, but the excessive wind noise is dissapointing, at least the Infinity sound system drowns it all out :)
    Consumer Reports does have a decent track record in their reporting of car quality, although the Galant DID make their "recommended" list for the first time this year. This car really isn't that bad, but it should be a little better for the price IMO! BTW, has anyone seen the new 2002 Galants?? That new front end looks REALLY, REALLY cheap, a step in the wrong direction IMO!
  • camryv6camryv6 Member Posts: 42
    I AM GOING TO TRADE MY 1999 GALANT FOR THE NEW 2002 CAMRY XLE.I HOPE MY CAMRY IS GOING TO BE MUCH RELIABLE THEN MY GALANT. IF ANY ONE WANT TO LOOK AT THE PICTURES OF THE NEW CAMRY CHECK IT OUT AT CAMRYMAN.ORG
  • cbnearlacbnearla Member Posts: 28
    There were recalls for the combo switch on the steering column, and for one of the battery cables, but these were for Galants BUILT before Oct-Nov 99.
    I have a 2K ES-V6 (built 4/00), and while there is a certain amount of road/tire noise, in my car wind noise is practically non-existent. I'm puzzled by the previous few owners' complaints about it.
    I agree, the revised grill/nose on the 02 model is ugly. The car was obviously not designed with that new grill in mind.
    Windnoise only prominent during freeway speeds of 70mph and above, other than that then it's acceptable I guess. I do like my GTZ because it does drive solid and performs reasonably well but though would get better build quality since it was in $20k-$25k price range. Oh well it still looks better than Camry of Accord. 2002 Camry looks pretty nice though but can't say the same for 2002 Galants. Front bumper and grill looks out of place. Those interested in getting 2002 GTZ might be better off getting 99-01 model since there's no more white face gauges and wing. Sport edition got less sportier. Not sure if suspension stayed the same. I guess overall it is a good car.

cbnearla: Question on battery cable recall. What would be the effect on car if recall wasn't done for this problem? Just tryin to troubleshoot something with my car that has 34k miles on it.
    From NHTSA recall web site - search page is http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recmmy1.cfm

Year: 2000
    Make: MITSUBISHI
    Model: GALANT
    Manufactured From: MAY 1998 To: NOV 1999
    Year of Recall: '99
    Type of Report: Vehicle
    Summary:

Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles equipped with V6 engines and Federal emission equipment. The battery cable harness can become heat
    damaged by the front exhaust manifold which could cause grounded circuits.

This circuit failure could cause any of the following to occur: (1) the engine will not start because the main fuse will blow if the power lead is
    grounded; (2) the low oil pressure warning lamp will illuminate if the signal wire is grounded; (3) the airconditioning system will become inoperative if
    the lead to the magnetic clutch is grounded; and (4) the turn signal/hazard lamps will become inoperative if the voltage monitor lead is grounded.

Dealers will remove and discard a metal manifold bracket (from Galant models only - Eclipse has no such bracket). Dealers will also inspect the
    harness. If the harness wires show no damage, the dealer will install a heat insulator along with heat resistant harness clips. If the harness wires do
    show damage, the dealers will install a new harness with preinstalled integral heat protection. Owner notification began February 7, 2000. Owners
    who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should
    contact Mitsubishi at 1-800-222-0037. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at
    1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    My 01 Galant has very little wind noise, even closing in on felony speeds. The road noise is a bit annoying, however I agree that it appears to be the tires. I'm not impressed with the Goodyears anyway, so a better quality tire should take care of a large part of the noise. My Galant has less wind noise than any of my Camrys, however the camrys had very little road noise which probably made the wind noise more noticable.

So far I'm trouble free driving since April and still like driving/styling of the Galant much better than my Camrys. The only Camry I liked driving better was a fairly modified V6 Coupe I had back in 94. This Galant has better quality/materials than my 97 V6 Camry, which was when Toyota really started decontenting/cheapening things. That vehicle was delivered with grease on the carpet, a broken windshield, and broken rear cupholder. Over the first couple years it had several unfixable rattles, bad strut mounts, and 4 recalls. None of that was really anything that effected the drivablility of the car, just annoyances from being built cheaper than the prior models. None of these problems really seem much different that what alot of people here are complaining about, just piddly things for the most part. I have a buddy with a F#rd for a company vehicle and it does bad things like not starting, broken tranny, and a vibration at highway speeds noone can figure out.

The 02 Camry may be a nice car, and may be built better than the prior models (hopefully) but before long there will be 300,000 of them on the road and you'll be passing yourself on every corner. I guess I just got sick of driving something that everybody and their brother has. If they were still built like brick sh$t houses, they'd be worth the extra money, but now they are only marginally more reliable than vehicles that are cheaper.
    Thanks cbnearla. I didn't get recall notice for battery cable harness even though 2000 GTZ built Oct 99. I called dealer and asked about it and they then scheduled appointment to have it done. Asked them why I din't get notice and the service guy couldn't explain why. He said most folks get recall notices for certain defects but unfortunately some don't. From notice above that cbnearla provided, it states it can cause ground or certain circuit failures. I'm hoping it didn't cause any damage already but will ask them to check electrical system when they do the battery cable recall service and they agreed. I'm wondering if I do have a ground in my car already that's causing weird intermittent buzzing/hissing noise when AC on and in D.
  • apierce1apierce1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi fellow Gallant owners. I was one of the first to buy a 99' Gallant in August of 98'. I had checked out the competition and found them either too boring or too expensive. I liked the styling of the gallant and bought the v-6 pretty much loaded for $21,000.
    It began to rattle almost immediately after I bought it. I had it in four or five times and they never fixed it. Now after 45,000 miles my mechanic says one of the front wheel bearing is going. Isn't that a part that should last much longer? He says I should try and get the dealership to pay for it. Has anyone else had this problem? How should I approach the dealership? Also, I received my third recall notice on this model! Ridiculous!
    I'd get a second opinion on the bearing. If it's bad, it was probably flawed somewhat originally. I'd take it to the dealer and see what they think. If it's bad, see if they'll pick up all/some of the tab. Depends on if you've got a good dealer nearby or not. Most bearings seem to go well into the 200K range anymore.

I had 4 recalls on my last Camry, along with rattles. I guess you have to spend $40,000 to get a well built car these days. I drove Camrys for years, but the last one sent us shopping for something more entertaining. If I have to live with niggling annoyances, it might as well be a cool car.
  • marcinmarcin Member Posts: 64
    Is anyone here getting close to 60k on their Galant? I have 52k and I'm my warranty will expire soon. According to manual I should change a timing belt at 60k. It's pretty expensive to do that, like $300 I think. Should I go to a dealer or local mechanic?

My bulb that illuminated RPMs on a dashboard burned out at 46k. Dealer won't change it cause you have to take the entire dashboard apart. This sucks. Most of my driving is during day time and I don't drive w/ my headlights on.

I still have not changed my micro-filter for AC. Is it really that important? Someone said here before that it is behind a glove box and it's not easy to change. I don't know exactly where.

I was going to replace my original tires but they have still some tread left so I will drive until it gets really wet outside. (I live in Chicagoland) I will replace Goodyear LS with Yokohama Avid T4. Stock tires are holding amazingly well. It's past their expected mileage of 45k. I wonder how Yokohamas will perform.
    I personally would take it to a dealer for the timing belt. Maybe you can con them into changing the bulb if you have them doing the belt. You could probably go longer on the belt, but 60K is a good conservative number. I wouldn't get it done before that anyway. $300 is pretty normal for a timing belt.

Let me know how you like the Yokohamas. I've only got 4K on mine, but I really don't like the noise/handling of the Goodyear LS. Wet traction is impressive though. How did the LS's do in the snow? We get a good bit here also and I was kinda concerned about a 16" digging through the snow. We have an 01 with traction control so that should help some.
  • cajun626cajun626 Member Posts: 54
    Go ahead and pay the dealer to replace it at 60K. $300 is not out of line. I posted some problems that I had with a timing belt change on a '94 Galant. Maybe it was just my local mechanic, but they could not time the Galant correctly after replacing the belt (multiple attempts). The dealer corrected it on the first attempt. If your car groans and vibrates after the replacement, they screwed up the timing.
  • jdbtensaijdbtensai Member Posts: 122
    Bring it to America. Please.
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    Hello everyone

I have a friend who has a 2000 galant and his car wont star. The lights flicker and teh horn is weak. After being jumpstarted the car ran but the radio and lights flickered. Is this a recall issue? Alternator maybe?
    I haven't heard about any recalls specifically for the alternator. Is the car still under 36K miles? Bring it to the dealer and let them figure it out! See my post above (#810) about the recall for the battery cable harness if the vehicle was BUILT before December 99.
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    Thank You. I passed this info to him, apparently his falls under this category. thanks much!
  • joathletejoathlete Member Posts: 25
    Do they have any Gas Filters on the 99 Galants
    Just had a tune up and the mechanic could not find one. Let me know
    Did not take to the dealer (they charge an arm and a leg)
    Everything else is OK
    the filter is INSIDE the gas tank. pretty smart, huh? i had a similar situation. so i during my next visit to the dealer i asked them about the filter. they looked for a while and then looked in books, in the computer, finally they found it in the gas tank. from what the dealer told me it is not necessary to change it. sure, who would take their fuel tank down to replace a $10 filter and pay $$$ in labor.
    Thanks Marcin

I also spoke with dealer and they said you do not have to replace it..Saves money--Question what does a FULL Tune-Up consist of- all of the services that should be provided. Just for my complete knowledge.

Thxs
  • mich2001mich2001 Member Posts: 9
    Did somebody replace OEM halogen lights for
    aftermarket white(Xenox type)?
    What are kind and where did you buy it?
    I replaced mine with PIAA H4 Super White bulbs. They are considerably brighter and whiter than stock bulbs, but nobody flashes their lights at me. No blue tint on them, though PIAA does offer a version that has the bluish look, if that's what you want. I still think the beam cutoff is too abrupt, but that's the fault of the lens or reflector, not the bulbs. Purchased them from here: http://store.yahoo.com/aftermarkettrenz/9006superwhite.html
    Oh please spare me. Any car lot has battery chargers around because vehicles are started and turned off quickly, which never properly charges the batteries. For the most part, car salesmen don't have a clue what they are talking about. My wifes Galant has sat in the Garage for a month while we were away and it started fine.

I went to a Toyota dealer and the saleman was an A-hole and told me my 92 V6 Camry was only worth $500 on a cash/invoice deal and they didn't seem to care if I bought one or not. So I went to a Mitsubishi/Audi dealer and was treated like a customer should be and I bought a nicer car (IMHO, and I've had three Camrys) that cost less, especially since they were very happy to take my Camry on trade and give me six times as much for it. You might want to have your caps key checked out, it's not working right either.
  • dchaidchai Member Posts: 1
    I have 1991 Mitusi galant GSX model, that is DOHC engine. Recently the check engine light sometimes is on while I am driving,and at the same time I can hear some electrical switch noise under passenger seat panel. I usually fix my car problem by myself, so I need help from you who have the same experience.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
    I can't stand it. At 45k miles my RPM illumination bulb burned out. Now at 53k the left side of speedometer is out. What's next? In a couple of months my entire dashboard will be dark? I'm so disappointed. Dealer won't fix it and factory rep won't do anything either. Come on, this car is only 2 years old and most of my driving is done during daytime. I would not be so mad if I could change the bulbs but you have to take entire dashboard apart. If one more bulb will go out I will have to do something about it, but then I will replace all bulbs just in case. It really sucks ppl :(
  • pta01pta01 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1996 Mitsubishi Galant. The car has been a pain to mainatin. There are not that many Mitsubishi dealers, and the ones that are arround are all bad! I wanted to take it for a 60k miles service, I checked with 4 dealers, and the prices I got where $1000 to $1400! What a shame!

The last time I had serviced the car in a dealer was at the 15k miles service, for which I had paid $360.

I used to have a Corolla before, so I can say that the Toyota dealers are much better than the Mitsubilshi dealers. So, I regret that I didn't buy I Camry. Sure, it costs more to buy, but considering less maintenance and better resale value, Camry comes out cheaper.

As a car, the Galant is a good vehicle with much better styling than Camry or Accord. But if you add the experience of owning the car, I would say that Mitsubishi sucks!

Indeed, after owning the Glant for 5 years, I finally understand why Galant has low resale value.

Pete
  • adjohanadjohan Member Posts: 2
    I'm wondering if anyone know, what kind and brand of automatic transmission oil that is compatible with Mitsubishi Diamond ATF SP II?? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

THanks,
    Adrianus
    What have you had to fix on your '96 that makes it such a pain? $1000 does sound steep for 60K service.
    You need to find out what they are doing for $1000. It's obviously alot more than the book calls for. My Toyota dealer used to send me a booklet for 30K, 60K, and 90K recommended services and there were different packages you could buy at each level. Usually the minimum package was what the book called for, and beyond that it was all overkill. 60K should include a timing belt, tranny flush, and inspections. I haven't received anything from the Mitsu dealer yet beyond a reminder my first service (oil change) but I did it myself.
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    I bought my new 99 V6 Galant ES in August of 99. It has been a very satifying car with good performance from the V6 and a minimum of problems in 28000 miles.

I like the car so much that I even added after market wheels despite the fact that it is a lease car (lease ends Nov.2002)

I had a couple of problems the first year but have been pretty much trouble free since. Am even considering buying the vehicle at the end of the lease.

I previously owned a Toyota Avalon and a Honda Accord (both from new) and had more problems with them than with the Galant.

Styling of the Galant is outstanding and aftermarket leather package makes it look very BMW like.

Whether I'm just lucky or some of you guys are just unlucky I don't know. But in the end we all make judgments on our own experiences. Reading some of the problems you guys have had might make me hesitate to buy it at lease end, then again if I haven't had the problems by now maybe I won't.

In the end quality is important and I hope Mitsubishi will be upgrading. I understand the relationship with Daimler Chrysler is supposed to help in that regard.
  • tallgaltallgal Member Posts: 14
    I have a 94 Galant and replaced ALL of the belts at 60k. It was about $500-$600. You need to have it done. You would not want the repair bill after a timing belt shuts down! Have the dealer do it, but MAKE SURE they install it correctly. cajun626 and I both had problems with our mechanics not getting the adjuster belt and timing belt installed correctly, causing rattles & hesitations. I was even told that my tranny was going out!!(at 60K) Luckily, cajun626 encouraged me to keep taking it back, and I did... finally getting it adjusted correctly. $500 is nothing to spend for another smooth 60k miles! Good luck! Peace~ Belle
    I have a 94 Galant in excellent shape. 64k miles, sunroof, CD, anti-lock brakes... loaded. New tires, battery, all belts just replaced and new water pump. What is it worth, really? If I sell it outright, what should I ask? Trading it is NOT worth it. I know book value is nothing, but with the low miles, great preventive maintenance and clean look.... WHAT do I ask for it?
    I am looking for something newer.... would like a decent down payment.
    Look at the edmunds homepage and click on one of those used car seller sites. Search for 94's for sale in your area of the country. This should give you an idea at least. Since you just paid for the expensive maint. items and it has low miles why are you selling? ASSUMING nothing fails, your maint. should be cheap for another few years.
    I just want something new. I may even end up with a 2002 Galant or Diamante. I will look it up on Edmunds to see what it is worth. I just thought someone here would tell me what they think is a fair price. Trade-In value is nada! Thanks anyway!
    Wondering what the 20,000 mile maint. consist of from A-Z and what it should cost---what do they replace-check and adjust. I trust taking it to dealer but they always charge an arm and a leg.

thanks
    I wouldn't do anything at 20K, unless you are due an oil change. Perhaps have the brakes inspected if you do alot of stop and go. So....oil change, brake inspection, might as well rotate the tires should get you out the door at $50-$60 max.
    Thanks Sebring95

So when is the next time I should do any maint. besides the usual oil change.

I appreciate all the info
  • ronghaiwronghaiw Member Posts: 4
    My 28000 mile 2000 Galant ESV6 is undergoing a bearing replacement cause it make a loud broken-muffler-like sound. The brakes are also squeak at hard turning.
    The service in Indiana is terrible. On top of those, two of the dealer I contact have never replaced any air purifying filter for the last two years. If you are not aware of air purifying filter from user's manual, they are A/C filters hidden above the glove compartment and need to be replaced every year. Question, how many of you have ever got the replacement done, or done on your own? If so, how? Thanks
    I believe 30K calls for spark plugs on 4cyl models. Beyond oil, filter, and air purifying filter, everything else is just inspections. This is on the regular maintenance schedule.
    where can I find Reg maintenance schedule itinerary
  • vadim_stvadim_st Member Posts: 13
    If you have trouble following the manufacturer's brochures, sign up for automatic reminder at at www.cars.com in the Care and Repair section. You enter your model, year, and current miles, and let Click&Clack do the reminding. They also list recalls for each model/year.
  • boscarajboscaraj Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me what the recommended replacement mileage for the timing belt on 1999 Galant? Owner's manual states 60,000 mi except for California, Massachusetts and another state I can't remember (check only at 60,000 and replace at 100,000 if not previously replaced). Does this mean that my California car does not require timing belt change until 100,000?? Dealer says no, all Galants require change at 60,000!
    Thanks for your input.... By the way, 20,000+ with not one service visit other than oil changes and 3 minor recalls!! Very impressive IMHO!
  • peterslawpeterslaw Member Posts: 9
    I saw a few posts on problems with batteries. I have a 2000 Galant ES. I had several problems with my car (see previous posts), including a problem with the battery. I complained to the service department at the dealer that the battery seemed low when I started my car either in the morning or at the end of the work day. The service department told me it was due to cold weather (I live in Michigan). Nice explanation, but I had this problem during warm weather also! Anyway, during the month of December (approximately 6 months after I purchased the car), the car would shut off for about 30 seconds while driving it. Took it to the dealership. They did a load test on the battery and it failed the test. They put a new battery in my car. Since then I haven't had any problems.
  • peterslawpeterslaw Member Posts: 9
    I also wanted to add two more things to the forum. First, in one of my previous posts (between 9 to 12 months ago), I complained about the service department at the local dealership. I am happy to report that the dealership overhauled their service department and the service is much better! At last, I am getting the customer service that any person deserves. Second, I checked the value of my car on Edmonds.com and wanted to cry. It shows the value of the 2000 Galant ES as $9000 for trade-in, $10,000 to $11,000 for market/retail value. How disappointing!!!! That's a $5,000 to $6,000 depreciation in just one year, and that's not accounting for the mileage.

Someone had an earlier post where he/she stated that even smart people do stupid things like buying a Galant. I did my research before buying my car, but feel like I made a bad choice. I do love the looks and the styling, but have been very disappointed by the number of problems I had with my car and the depreciation factor. If I could go back to June 2000 and take with me the knowledge that I have now, I would not have bought the Galant. But as they say, "hindsight is 20/20!"
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    Ronghaiw:

I noted your comment on bearing replacement.

I'm having a noticable humming noise at freeway speeds which sounds a little like a bad muffler. Wondering whether that could be a wheel bearing problem you described.. Don't hear the noise at street speeds of 25-45.

Could you describe this problem in a bit of detail so I can perhaps see if that is what I am dealing with.

Thanks.
  • ronghaiwronghaiw Member Posts: 4
    cayennered1,

At beginning, the humming sound is only noticeable around 30-40 MPH when I am driving at constant speed or just leave the gas paddle. Later it is getting worse on all speeds. Hard to know what you are dealing with. High speed a happy engine sound is normal. I will wait if I were you while it is still under warranty.
    I've seen this filter mentioned a few times in the board, but it isn't mentioned in my 94's user manual. What year did they start putting these in?
  • madpapo2002madpapo2002 Member Posts: 8
    i have a 2002 galant, damn this rocks
    the look is superb man!!! whoa.

looks like a muscular car. not like a stinkin camry or busy accord except the new altima can beat me in styling.

If ure not altima, don't dare talk to me.

PAt