Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• candlemaker2candlemaker2 Member Posts: 67
    After owning this Caravan for 3.5 months and having it break down 3 times. We said good by to it. Last Wed. night I had my daughter and her friend in the car. We were on the highway and had to stop for a stop sign. I pulled onto the next highway, got it up to 50 Km and clicked resume on the cruise. Well the thing would not get over 80 Km. I had the gas peddle right down. It then lurched and went into the next gear. I told my husband about this and we decided to take it in for servicing. He found the transmission to be shifting long and rough. At the service dept. We were told the van was in limp mode. They wanted us to leave it for a few days so we said ok. They also said they could not give us a rental( even though we had the extended warrenty that covers a rental) because Chrysler was cracking down on them. We left there and later decided that enough was enough. We told them, you have it, keep it. Yes it will affect our credit but we could not see putting up with this. I did alot of research into Canadian law and found that if Chrysler kept taking the van in for service but was unable to find a problem and fix it, they were doing what is expected and we had no other recourse. Remember, this was our second Caravan in 10 months that was extremely problem prone. Trading the first one on the second one had put our payments quite high.
    I am glad no one else on this board is having these problems. I am back to driving a 10 year old vehicle that I feel safer driving since I know it is not going to leave me stranded. I bought auto club membership and I have a cell phone.
    Good luck to everyone with your Caravan.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I've read that most Canadian provinces have warranty laws similar to our lemon laws down here in the US. You may want to contact a solicitor and see if you can get out of the deal with less harm to your credit.

Steve, Host
  • candlemaker2candlemaker2 Member Posts: 67
    Thanks Steve,
     I checked it out. The agencies that govern the auto laws have said we don't have a case. If Chrysler or the Dealership had refused at any time to take either of the vans in to the service dept. we would have some ground to stand on.
    Lemon laws here say that a vehicle must be in the shop constantly and or the dealership must refuse to service it any longer.
    Good idea though. I may contact one of those lawyers that specializes in personal injury and such. The kind that only gets his fee if he gets you some money back. We are not in a financial position to afford a lawyer especially if it drags on as it usually does. Thanks again.
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    You didn't mention which engine you have but we have a 2001 with the 3.8L which I had in close to 10 times for a hesitation. When you would lightly step on the accelerator on the highway, it would sit there and just think about doing something. It acted just like it would if it had a vacuum leak.
    Anyway, about the 6th time it was in,they replaced the spark plugs and that improved it a little. Then they did the wires with the same result. A little improvement but the problem was still there. Then they replaced the coil(s) and it is finally much better.
    There were never any codes and we all know that without codes, the mechanics can't do anything.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The extended warranty (5/50) recently expired on my '99 GCS. It's two more months before the lease is up and I turn in the keys. I took it in for an oil change today and also to check on a squeal in the engine compartment, which had started in December (when the van was still in warranty). At that time, the dealer lubed a belt and the noise went away, for awhile. It came back worse than ever starting in January. When I drove the van to the dealer today, it was warm and foggy and of course there was no squeal. The good news is that the dealer adjusted the belt and the noise is gone again. The bad news is that a transmission hose was leaking. Cost: $220. The service writer tried to cheer me up by saying, "Oh, gee, and your warranty just expired, too!" :-P
  • gino45gino45 Member Posts: 52
    I would like to thank all those who offered advice regarding whether to purchase an extended warranty. I've decided to take my chances and not purchase the warranty. The $2000 that the dealer wanted seemed too steep for me. Just to end the confusion that I created regarding what's covered under the powertrain warranty- The warranty does not cover electrical componets such as the powertrain control module. It goes without saying that such items as power windows, electrical switches and alternators would only be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty.
  • gino45gino45 Member Posts: 52
    My Caravan has the 3.3L engine. I took it to another dealer this weekend. Guess what- they couldn't find any codes! At least this dealer mentioned that the injectors did not need servicing, unlike the previous dealer who wanted me to spend $230 to clean my injectors. The hesitation isn't noticeable when accelerating, but when idling. I do not think any of the dealers looked at the coil pack. Does anyone know how I can test the coil pack. Or should I have the dealer test it?
  • jboehmjboehm Member Posts: 44
    Sorry to hear about your GC troubles. I had the opposite response when I complained about my issues with my truck that I bought. While the manufacturer has the ultimate responsibility I think the dealership needs to help you out. I cannot believe that they would not give you a rental car. When I started having problems with my 3 month old truck the dealership bent over backwards to help me. Gave me rental cars, the General Manager sat down and talked to me to see what needed to be done. Long story short.... My truck was evetually repurchased back from me. Have you tried contacting Chrysler to find out what needs to be done to start the buyback process?
    My 2001 Dodge GC now has 50k miles on it with very few problems. The only problem we have had is about a month ago we took it in to the dealership to fix a broken lock.

Does anyone know if the foglamps are "aim"-able? The one of the drivers side is aimed VERY high, higher than the normal headlight. I haven't had a chance to take a look to see if it is falling out of the housing or not.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    are aimable thru a adjustment screw located through the lens on Dodge vehicles and by a knob on the back of the lamp on Chrysler vans.
  • antonioantonio Member Posts: 12
    Greetings!

I am looking in to buying a used Caravan or Grand Caravan. I will mainly use it for my business in which I travel alot and haul a bunch of musical instruments. I am looking at a used Caravan because I am hoping to get something reliable, with lots of room and somewhat good gas mileage for under $10k. Any warnings, tips on buying a used Caravan? I am wanting to stay year 2000 or newer if I can find one in my price range.

Thanks,

Antonio
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    One recommendation.

When you find a used van you like and think you are ready to buy, go to a (good) dealer and price a new one. You may be able to get into a brand new van for a litte more than a used.
  • gtahobegtahobe Member Posts: 42
    Get the Grand, "sounds" like you'll need the room.

Pun intended.
    Don't fret, Antonio, one day we're going to drum some manners into these guys.

Get a sharp one, and make sure the spare isn't flat. On that high note,

Steve, Host
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I have a 96 Caravan that I keep at my vacation home in Florida. (Trailer, actually, don't get excited). I would rather have an Odyssey, Sienna, Quest or Mercury Villager, all more dependable than the Caravan, IMO. BUT, you can't find them on the used market, and if you do, you're really gonna pay for one. So, having rented Windstars, Ventures & Astros, the Caravan is the best design of the non-Asian vans, so I bought one. Unfortunately, the transmission has been replaced, and that is very common in Caravans.

If you're hauling equipment, the Chevy Astro, GMC Safari is the toughest and heaviest design, and tend to hold up quite well, although they are the worst design, IMO for comfort and style. I hate them actually, but they run a long time and hold up to anything. Very durable.

Stay away from the Windstar. May want to consider a new Kia Sedona. Pretty heavy van, and a great warranty. I would never own one, but I hear they are pretty decent. (Reason? KIA = Killed IN Action to me, can't handle that.)
  • royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    Antonio, I've had better than average luck with a '95 Caravan, 3.3L, and I'd be checking out Consumer Report April 04 Auto issue. Their picks for reliable used, $10-12K are '00 Mazda MPV, '97-'98 Honda Odyssey and '98 Toyota Sienna. Roy
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    >>> you're hauling equipment, the Chevy Astro, GMC Safari is the toughest and heaviest design, and tend to hold up quite well, although they are the worst design, IMO for comfort and style. I hate them actually, but they run a long time and hold up to anything. Very durable.<<<

I have to disagree. While being overall less troubleprone as the Windstar, our company fleet has not had great service out of ours. Their cost of ownership is higher than the Caravan and the resale is abysmal. Besides being crude they just don't hold up as well as the FWD Chryslers. And they swallow transmissions at a higher rate. If you're going to keep a van for a long time be advised that they are the first to shows signs of rust. If you need to tow something and need extra space, my recommendation is to delete ANY mini-van and look at a mid-size SUV.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • dalawdalaw Member Posts: 37
    Hi guys. I have a 96 Voyager with a 3.0L V6 and when I check the engine oil with the dipstick, it indicates that the oil is at the "full" mark on one side (the side with the "add" and "full" words on it and dipstick inserted so that the you can read the "engine" word), but when I turn the stick around, the level is on the "add" mark. I wipe the dipstick when i check. Which level should I follow?
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Insert dipstick so tou can read it by looking at it from the front of the car.
  • dalawdalaw Member Posts: 37
    Yeah I inserted the stick that way, it would get stuck if inserted the other way. What I mean is that the oil level is on 'add' at one side and 'full' at the other side at the same time.
  • sxt4mesxt4me Member Posts: 7
    My 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT after 5,900 miles needs a brand new transmission. And, the dealer says the thing is most likely going to be a refurbished from an 03 model. Hey guys, listen to the wife and buy the Sienna. I may have saved $3,000 but the headaches are not worth it. Should I go on? Take a really close look at what you getting. Cheap Plastic, poor performing AC (fogs up easy) and smells bad with use of recirculation feature. Andy, who in the world sits with the seat in a complete vertical position, which is the only comfortable position for the arm rests. Recline the seats a bit and your arms are pointing towards the windshield. I had to take off the arm rests and use the 1/2" drill to grind out a bit of plastic so the arm rests are more ergonmically positioned horizontally. We have the DVD Video and 6 disc DVD/CD combo. The thing is clustered up so badly you need to pull over to figure out what you are doing. After 4,900 miles the oil was 25% gone and severly black. I was required to use an engine oil cleaner before changing the oil. Can it be that the engine is buring oil this badly with so few miles. I would not recommend that anyone buy a Caravan. Nothing has changed but the new fold down seats for 05.
    I can go on....
    Anyone interested in purchasing a Nearly New 04 Grand Caravan SXT Bright Silver Metallic with DVD and Power everything?
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    I would return the car to your dealer and ask for a full refund or a brand new van. No way, a new car should be like this...As for the DVD video and 6 disc thing, I don't think it is dealer's fault, you should've known this when you chose that option.
  • sxt4mesxt4me Member Posts: 7
    You know, you don't really look at these kinds of things until you drive off the lot and actually start fidling with the knobs and controls. I have owned a lot of cars and this clustered design is by far the worst in the way of ergonomics I have ever used. The layout does look really cool though.
  • thirdonethirdone Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 Grand Caravan's driver's side rear sliding door has begun to sag (front edge hangs lower than rear). I took it to the dealership and he proceeded to tell me that I needed sensors in both doors and that was the reason they don't open and close properly and that he would have to have a body shop look at the sagging problem. The doors open and close fine, however the sagging door tends to apply pressure to the trailing edge of the driver's door. Has anyone here had this problem? Can it be adjusted by me?
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    Are they taking your van back?
  • bluetrainstopbluetrainstop Member Posts: 15
    May I ask what you paid for the SXT. Your scaring me, we're trying to buy a silver 2004 SXT Caravan. Dealer has one left on the lot, we are trying to get it for under $20,000 out the door with all costs included. Now I not sure I even want it.
    My company has over 3000 '01, '02, and '03 Chrysler mini-vans and have had very good service from them. Our GMs and especially our Windstars have had more mechanical problems, especially of the costly type. The newer the Chrysler mini-van, the better they've gotten.

I find it curious that a person with fairly extensive criticism of things like "cheap plastic" and other ergonomic complaints didn't know about them before the vehicle was purchased. A transmission failure so early in a vehicle's life either indicates incorrect assembly or abuse. Few people I know will ever admit to abusing a vehicle.

Regards,
    Dusty
    I generally trust Dusty on this topic. I used to run a small fleet, he runs an enormous fleet. That's even better than Consumer Reports! If Dusty says they're good, he oughta know.
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    I've been moonlighting in the Grand Caravan section because I may purchase a 2005 GC SXT in the next few months. I've been back and forth between an SUV and mini-van. In the final analysis I think generally better gas mileage, space utilization, ride, and seating are pushing me toward a minivan. In the "less scientific" arena...my daughter loves the extra seats!
       DustyK--Several of your posts have struck a chord with me and I compliment you on your cogent comments. Many of us have taken issue with CR and it's flawed methodology and the unending stream of "Chrysler haters". Some of whom have resorted to changing names, emails and tactics to post at Edmunds. In my extended family we have had numerous Caravans, Intrepids, Neons, and Rams. Never have we experienced a transmission failure or other catastrophic isssue of any kind. Perfect? No! Competitive and reliable? Yes!
        In particular I felt compelled to share an incident that-while seemingly isolated--gives me concern. At about 45,000 miles, I had maintenence performed on my 2000 Intrepid ES at a local shop. Although I mentioned it to two service managers in EXCEEDING detail--I managed to get a transmission full of ATF 3 instead of ATF 4. When I paid for my service I noticed ATF 3 on the receipt. I called the Dodge Service Manager at my local dealer and put him on the phone with the technicians. Although the car had already been driven, they PUSHED it back into the bay, drained and flushed the transmission and put ATF 4 in. I think that may be much more common that anyone knows and may contribute to transmission difficulties.
    Some of whom have resorted to changing names, emails and tactics to post at Edmunds

Most unlikely. If you suspect someone of doing this, email a host. It only takes a minute to track down IPs, not to mention it's pretty easy to spot a clone when people have come back under a new name after being asked to leave.

Steve, Host
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Apparently you've never ventured into the Intrepid board. As a whole we have one member who changed identities at least twice and have had several "posters" who would drop in once or twice--make fairly catastrophic claims about the product--and then disappear. I don't recall the sedan host ever asking anyone to leave. In fact the tendency was to censor conversations where the offender was called to task. Ah well...
    Like I said, it's pretty easy to spot a clone, as you've just indicated.

This is a problems board so it's natural for people to complain here. Hopefully the rest of us can offer up some solutions now and then too.

Steve, Host
    I would be calling Chrysler to discuss the issues that you are having with the vehicle. I have owned Chrysler vehicles for the better part of 14 years and have had very few problems. The only vehicle I had major problems with Chrysler took back. My '01 GC has almost 50k miles on it with no problems (except for being rear-ended by someone going 60 mph). My wife and I are looking at getting an '05 sometime next year. Even then it may be a battle since she keeps telling me she LOVES her current GC.
  • bluetrainstopbluetrainstop Member Posts: 15
    dustyk - Thank you for you comments. We bought the 2004 Caravan STX on Thursday and its now sitting in our garage. I love it. Its silver with quad seats, popular equipment package, alloy wheels, cd player. We got it for 18,898 plus tax, tags and dealer fees for $20,500. We traded in our 1998 Caravan Sport with 77,000 miles for $3100. We bought the van because the price was what we could afford and with a little luck it should serve us well for the next 7 years. It drives like its on a cloud. Thanks for you input. I'll be posting a review of the van on Edmunds after we've had it 6 months. Love this town hall site!
    Jason, I suspect that 80-95% of Chrysler automatic transmission failures are directly attributable to lack of maintenance, incorrect fluid -- or both. I have seen too many of them go 150,000 or more miles without having anything done to them but routine maintenance.

As to Consumer Reports, there is no one more critical of their "reliability" reporting system then I. I have witnessed hundreds of people who have experienced significant and costly repairs yet believe they've had "no trouble" with a vehicle. Much of it is based on the religious-like allegiance to a particular brand.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    There is a family here in my little town outside of Rochester, New York, that has a something like ten or eleven Chrysler mini-vans in their immediate and extended family with an approximate total of 1,500,000 miles on them. They've haven't lost a transmission yet. Other problems (power window regulator motors - made by GM, by the way; air conditioning & heater components), but no transmissions. Even those problems have not surfaced on the newer versions.

I think your chances are "much better than average" of having excellent service from your new van. Enjoy.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    Hey y'all!

I just yesterday purchased a '97 GC with 67k. I just today noticed when I have the air setting on Defrost and I am sitting stationary with the car running, a somewhat load hissing sound comes from the dash - almost like a tire is deflating. I also noticed when driving this noise is there but it goes away like a compressor is turning on and off or something. Is this normal on this minivan? I have never owned a Dodge or any domestic vehicle - ever. This is the 1st!

Thanks in advanced!

Antonio (^_^)
    Sounds like your HVAC switchgear has a vacuum leak in it. Will probably need to be replaced.
    What the heck is a HVAC Switchgear and can you give me an idea of what a repiar like that costs? It is a difficult repair? Any additional info will help!

Thanks,

Antonio

btw I jsut went out and checked the tranny fluid on the van, when doing so I noticed about a 1/2inch diameter black hose on the right side of the engine compartment that was just sitting there not connected. I could also see another un-attached hose that looks like it was it's mate and they came apart for some reason. One side also had some tape on it with a zip tie. Could this un-attached hose be the problem?

Thanks again,

Antonio (^_^)
    Could be, hook it up and see if the noise goes away.

The switchgear is just your A/C controls. Usually, an integrated unit hooked to either vacuum, or electric in the newer ones.
  • mammersmammers Member Posts: 3
    Every time I use the heater or air conditioner in my 2000 Grand Caravan, a bad odor comes out of the vents. (Please note that I've owned the car since new without any problems, except this one, which began about six months ago.) I brought the car back to the dealer to fix the problem, but I think all they did was to spray some type of disinfectant into the front exterior intake vents. This seemed to correct the problem, but approximately six weeks later the problem returned. My guess is that the air conditioner condensate drain tube is clogged, but I don't know where to find it. Any suggestions?
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Does your 2000 GC have a filter on the inside under the passenger side dash board? If so, you might want to change that and the filter under the hood.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    mammers-

The odor used to appear on my FORMER "award-winning Motor Trend Car of the Year"- a 99 Chrysler 300M. To help alleviate it, try this every so often:

Buy a can of Lysol.
    Put the heater on HIGH.
    Put the heater in the RECIRCULATE position.
    Turn the FAN on HIGH.
    Spray the LYSOL into the vent area on the OUTSIDE of the van near the windshield wipers. Spray a lot.

This will help. Someone with a DC shop manual should be able to tell you where the drain tube is. Hope this helps.

fastdriver
  • jft26jft26 Member Posts: 35
    I currently have 104K miles on my minivan. I would like to replace the Platinum Spark Plugs. Is there a trick to getting at the spark plugs on the side of the engine hugging the firewall? Thanks.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ...the back three plugs from below, with the van parked on ramps. Of course, I left it overnight and worked on it when everything was cool. Believe it or not, there is enough room to get at all three with an ordinary socket with an extension, and a universal joint fairly easily. Just make sure you wear long sleeves.
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Thanks for the info. I have the 3.8L engine. Do you know if the space is the same in the 2001 GC. I've wondered about the back plugs since I can't see them from under the hood too. I would like to change the spark plugs and wires myself.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ...with the 3,8 liter engine. The 96-00 model years with both 3.3 and 3.8 engines are the same for changing the rear three spark plugs. Unfortunately, I do not know abou the newer models. I have heard, though, that it is easier than the older 96-00 models. Maybe somebody else here will know that.
  • jft26jft26 Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for the tip.
  • smart_alecsmart_alec Member Posts: 19
    To find the source of mold odor first check the cabin air filter. The accordion style fiber glass cloth filter in our 2001 van with 50,000 miles on it was covered with dust and pollen. In our arid climate in the west, mold is not a problem. But in a humid climate, a dirty filter would support a colony of mold. It&#146;s supposed to be changed annually.
    The filter is about 14&#148; tall, 10&#148; wide, and ½&#148; thick. It&#146;s located in a vertical position above the left toe of a front seat passenger, aligned parallel with the passenger&#146;s leg.
    This is how I changed mine:
    First, have a new filter on hand. Partially straighten a paper clip and bend a 1/8th&#148; hook on the end to get a hold on the bottom end of the filter to ease it out. A flashlight would be useful.
    Second, open the passenger door wide, slide the seat back, and remove any after market rubber mat or carpet to aid in easing the filter down and out.
    Third, locate the black plastic cap on the bottom of the filter housing. It&#146;s about 10&#148; long and 1 ½&#148; wide with a large plastic sliding lock. Slide the lock forward to release the cap and wiggle it off. Hook the filter with the paper clip and pull it down and out.
  • mammersmammers Member Posts: 3
    Did any of the model year 2000 Grand Caravans come with a cabin filter, if so, where is it located? The owners manual makes no mention of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.