Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius (First Generation)

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Over-inflating the tires will result in better MPG (less tire/roadbed friction) but poor braking and steering control due to less (contact patch) traction.
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Wwest:

___I believe the 04 Prius is using GY Integrity’s? I cannot speak for over inflation but the GY Integrity’s are rated for 44 #’s per the manufactures specifications. The question about what the differences are between braking and cornering is a good one but at what point are the tires pressures to high? Above the manufacturers spec? To low? Below the manufacturers spec? Just right? Toyota’s spec? I do know that 37 to 40 #’s in the GY Integrity’s as well as Mobil1 Synthetic in the 03 Corolla has given me an almost 20% increase in hwy mpg over and above what the EPA says the Corolla is rated for on the Hwy. Many Prius, HCH, and Insight owners have found similar pressures and higher works great for them as well with the OEM equipped LRR Bridgestone’s. The going tire pressure for the LRR Bridgestone’s from the Insighter's is 50 #’s and many swear by that pressure in the Insight forums. In fact, some have received 80,000 miles out of them at that pressure and have not received the outer edge wear problem many have experienced at 35 – 36 #’s or a more normal 30,000 miles before replacement as many Insight and former Prius owners have had to endure.

___Again, I can’t speak for safety or cornering because those 50 # Insighter’s are running well beyond the 44 # maximums of those particular LRR tires ratings but it works for them. 40 #’s in a set of GY Integrity’s is 10% below its rated maximum and most certainly helps as far as mileage is concerned ...

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
    ___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net
    Automotive manufacturers know the approximate average weight of the vehicle so their pressure recommendations will likely be more "on target" than the tire manufacturer.

Unless it's Ford trying to avoid high rollover calculations and thereby murder their Exporer owners.
    Anyone know of an easy way to disable the electrics in cruise (60-70MPH) on the freeway?
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    > disable the electrics in cruise

You can't. It's at the heart of the system, not an add-on. The power-split device will always do something electrically as a result.

Most of the time while cruising, it is uses the excess torque created by running the engine at optimum RPM (which saves gas in itself) to recharge the battery-pack (which ultimately also saves gas). So disabling that would cause a loss in efficiency.

JOHN
    The only time I've driven the Prius any distance on the freeway was Seattle to Portland, maybe 170 miles, tops.

It appeared to me that one of the causes of poor highway fuel economy vs city was that the system used the batteries for even slight power "boosts" at highway cruising speeds. And of course eventually had to recharge them the inefficient ICE method.

It seemed to me that at cruising speeds the batteries should be brought "on", ONLY at WOT, when there is a clear(er) need for more HP than can be provided by the ICE alone.
    Running the engine at optimum RPM, saves gas.

Running the engine at the desired road speed would actually require the use of more gas, so that suggestion causes an efficiency loss.

To achieve optimum RPM, the engine will actually increase spinning speed. Obviously you don't want that to result in an increase road speed, so the extra thrust is instead used to generate electricity for recharging.

Also note that there is a clear MPG increase when you use the motor to maintain speed on a decline of any kind (not even enough to call a hill). Fuel is cut entirely from the engine and thrust is temporarily provided exclusive by electricity. So not taking advantage of that ability is an efficiency loss too.

JOHN
    Allows the ICE to run at it's most efficient at typical road speeds. The ONLY time the electrics increase efficiency is via regenerative braking.

Using gasoline to charge batteries and then using those batteries to drive the wheels doubles the losses.

Toyota is selling the public a "load of poles".

For freeway use a supercharger or even a turbocharger would be a much more efficient method for getting more "go" from a small lightweight ICE such as the one in the Prius.

Look at the Saab SVC, for instance.
    Don't want to appear to be misleading.

The use of batteries to store the energy recovered via regenerative braking for later use is an absolutely excellent idea, and Toyota should be applauded for bringing the Prius design to market.

But using the batteries to boost HP at a time when the only recharge capability is the ICE is rather stupid IMMHO!

And yes, the "system" has no way to predict when this circumstance exists, but I do!

Give me an "electrics" OFF switch on my Prius that is automatically over-ridden at WOT and I'll give you better hwy MPG.
  • mrvadeboncoeurmrvadeboncoeur Member Posts: 146
    it's called N (Neutral) - no charging of the
    batteries, no charged pulled from the batteries.

Then again, no power coming from the engine goes
    to the wheels either! ;-)

what's to say that the most efficient (and least
    polluting) engine RPM isn't one that provides more
    power than the vehicle needs at that moment? The
    extra power is diverted to the batteries, for later
    use. (it's the only explanation I've seen for people
    who drive the hilly/mountainous route who get higher
    MPG than if they were to drive the flat route to
    the same place...)
    > The CVT allows the ICE to run at it's most efficient
    > at typical road speeds.

The factor you seem to be overlooking is that a highway is not perfectly flat, without any wind or turns, and has no other traffic. The constant influence of ever-changing small external factors isn't something that a CVT alone can rapidly respond to. But with an electric motor attached, it can.

The optimum RPM takes those influences into account. And since the motor is spinning anyway, the responsiveness is nearly instananeous. Power can be diverted or created much faster than an engine-only design. So it is able to react to those numerous & frequent small changes, which results in a savings.

JOHN
    Say I'm in cruise control, 60MPH, going uphill, the engine speed needn't (should NEVER) change, just the throttle opening and the amount of power the engine produces at a given FIXED RPM.

One could argue that at different throttle openings, power settings, the engine has differing optimum RPMs. In that case I'd still adjust the CVT rather than take the doubling of losses from the use of the batteries.

For the pilots out there CVT is nothing more than a form of constant speed prop.

Many years ago I got a speeding ticket going downhill on the eastside of Snoqualmie pass because I had wanted to see how high the MPG would indicate on the mileage computer. Placed the transmission in neutral and just as the computer reached 147MPG the radar tagged me at 77MPH. Limit was 55 then.

In the Prius on cruise control much of that downhill (FREE) energy would have gone into the batteries in order to keep me closer to the cruise set speed.

Again, regenerative power, power otherwise wasted, is the name of the game.
    > One could argue that at different throttle openings

That is a very DIRTY choice. And since reducing emissions is the primary purpose of Prius, not maximum efficiency, it gets put lower on the priority list.

By the way... disabling the "electrics" would require the sacrifice of having Electric A/C, which provides a big boost in city efficiency... something many wouldn't be willing to give up.

JOHN
    I'm sure there is someplace in the system wherein a "switch" (hard, virtual??) could be placed to prevent the batteries from being used for a "driving" force.

DIRTY choice....???

I said that if a different throttle opening resulted in a different RPM need for optimum engine operation then I would adjust the CVT "gear ratio" such that the engine RPM could change without changing roadbed speed.

Assuming your definition of optimum means lowest pollution level without unduly(~??) sacrificing MPG.

Oh, I just realized that to my mind "optimum" means bringing all parameters into BALANCE.
  • drwho4drwho4 Member Posts: 1
    I tried to buy a 2004 Prius this afternoon. I was working with the internet sales manager. He quoted me MSRP and said they would not take anything less. I had the blue book printout and I ask to see the dealer invoice. He said he had always worked from the blue book price and had never seen a dealer invoice before. He managed to get it from the sales manager and I started looking it over. I ask him was the dealer hold back percentage 2 or 3 percent. He said he didn't know and had never seen that disclosed anywhere before. I found there was not one but two hold back figures listed on the dealer invoice and pointed them out to the sales person. A $399.00 dealer hold back and a $199.00 finance hold back. Another interesting figure was a $495 advertising fee. This car came with the AM 7 option pack and the Z1 accessory pack. I was not interested in the Z1 pack but they said they would not throw it in at no cost. I said I wanted to check on financing options and they wanted me to feel out a credit form and do a credit check. I surprised them by having my credit score and credit report with me. They said they thought they could get me 3.9% interest rate but I had already qualified for Capital One E-loan. I do not believe they have sold one yet but this car has had 72 test miles put on it so far. I turned their offer down and said I needed to check a few other dealers. I began to walk out, the sales folks huddled a minute, but I could have swore I heard the sales manager say there was no way they could give me the price I wanted so I left. All I wanted was to have the Z1 pack free and either the $399 dealer hold back or the $495 advertising fee taken off MSRP.
    Get a quote over the internet for the car equipped the way you want it FIRST. There are more customers than cars and if you're already on the dealer's tuff he's going to figure you're already "half" sold.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    To Pat... this is a bit confusing. This board is in the Sedans topic. But almost all of the recent discussion is on the '04 Prius, a hatchback. However, there is a separate board in the Hatchbacks topic on the '04 Prius, but it isn't called "Toyota Prius 2004+" to be consistent with other boards that start anew with a new model (like the board on the '04 Sienna), it's "2004 Prius - What do you think?".

One way to make it real clear which board is covering what car is to call this one "Toyota Prius 1997-2003" and the one in the Hatchbacks topic "Toyota Prius 2004+". Just a suggestion.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Excellent point, backy - thanks.
  • jannendavejannendave Member Posts: 1
    Until recently I have enjoyed getting 42-52 mpgs in the 2.5 years that I owned my 2001 Prius. However, my check engine light came on at around 29,000 miles and I am currently only getting around 36 mpg!!! When I took it to the dealer for the check engine light problem, they replaced a "Pipe Assy, Exhaust($1487), Actuator Assy, w.Bra ($134), Gaskets, and an Oxygen sensor ($125). Since the installation of those new parts (which were covered under warranty) the gas consumption has been in the mid-30's. UGH!! When I took it back to the dealer, they put it on a computer and reported "they could find nothing wrong" and suggested I keep a log of my own, rather than depend on the computer read-out. However, I know something is terribly wrong because just riding up a slight hill, (that I ride up each and every day to my house), I lose a mile per gallon whereas before all this started I only used to lose .2 of mile per gallon driving up the same hill. Also, I am only getting about 350 miles between fill-ups. I used to get well over 400 miles. Has anyone else experienced this problem with their Prius? The dealer seems not to be too interested in my problem. I wonder if Toyota would be more interested?
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Jannendave:

___In many cases, once the EGR valve starts to go, fuel mileage and performance will drop hard. Just a thought as to what could be causing your lower mileage possibly? Cold weather shouldn’t hit your Prius that hard as this as you have probably already surmised.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    a car mag did the math, it would take 150k miles before a hybrid would pay for itself. they don't make economic sense, but they must be sold so the technology can filter to larger vehicles. i feel the future is diesel, if we could only get the low sulfer fuel. the difference between a golf jetta diesel and the prius isn't very much, but the tech is cheaper. and people are very cost sensitive. then they can introduce a diesel hybrid
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    What was the car mag's basis for comparison to the hybrid? That would make a big impact on when the hybrid "pays for itself." If they are comparing to a compact like a Corolla or even an Elantra, I could see where they would conclude that the payoff comes after 150k miles. But if they are comparing to larger, more expensive vehichles like midsized cars, minivans, or SUVs, then the payoff would come much sooner.
  • dreamfishdreamfish Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of purchasing a used 2001 Prius from an individual. Her Toyota dealership provided the repair record, but refuses to look the car over for me (I'll pay for it.) Another dealership also won't do it. AAA doesn't have diagnostic equipment for hybrids yet. The seller is concerned about taking the car to a private mechanic that neither of us knows. She's concerned they'll mess up the sensitive hybrid system. The prices is good, but I need to have a 3rd party check the car out before finalizing the deal. Can anyone recommend a reliable, honest, proficient mechanic w/ Prius experience in the East Bay (near San Francisco), preferably Walnut Creek/Concord vicinity?
  • jettacuriousjettacurious Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

I'm considering buying a 2001 Prius for my lengthy daily commute. Five days a week I drive 120 miles round trip to my place of employment. The miles are all on the interstate and it is not an exceptionally hilly route. My speed of travel is generally 70 mph. Would you Prius owners recommend at 2001 Prius for this commute? Any idea what sort of gas mileage I might expect under these conditions?

Any advice or opinions appreciated.

Allen
  • bigfrogbigfrog Member Posts: 27
    I thought prius had free service for life my mother in law has one her dealer is telling her no anyone one have any doc's on this??
  • eheadingeheading Member Posts: 26
    My 2003 Prius has free service for 3 years. Everything that's in the owner's manual for service gets done for the 3 years. It is a handy little addition.

Ed Headington
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I was reading where Toyota can void your warranty if you leave your Prius parked for more than 2 weeks at a time. That would never work for me I park my vehicle at the airport and am gone 3 to 5 weeks at a time working. Has this gotten corrected in the newer Prius models?
  • eheadingeheading Member Posts: 26
    Can't speak for leaving a car at an airport. We do leave our car for several months at a time. At the advice of our dealer, we disconnect the 12V battery from the car (with a knife switch) and keep the 12V battery on a trickle charger. When we return home, we reconnect the battery, start up the car, and away we go. I've never yet seen any effect on the nickel-metal-hydride batteries at all.

Leaving the car without the charger, I just can't make any comment. We've never tried that, however I would doubt if it would be a serious problem.

Ed Headington
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    The 12 volt battery is just a backup and is never used to start the car unless the Hybrid Nickel-Metal-Hydride batteries are discharged. It sounds to me like you are making work out of work. Because once you start up the car via the hybrid battery it will recharge any drainage of the 12 volt back-up battery. If you don't believe me disconnect your 12 volt battery and voila you car will still start. Hopefully you have a big enough knife switch to handle the current on the back-up battery should you ever need it. What do you do about the discharge of your nickel-metal-hydride battery ? If they are so discahrged they won't start the car, then they are probably into the "deep discharge" state that significantly shortens their life. But I gues if you can afford to leave your car for months at a time, you don't use a car that often and maybe it won't matter.
  • tempusvntempusvn Member Posts: 119
    >The 12 volt battery is just a backup and is never used to start the car unless the Hybrid Nickel-Metal-Hydride batteries are discharged.

Not quite. The 12 Volt battery keeps the computers alive while the car is off, so it can respond to your request for the Traction Battery to start the motor. The 12V cannot start the ICE, because one of the MGs is really the starter, and the 12V can't spin it, and isn't connected to it anyway.

>Because once you start up the car via the hybrid battery it will recharge any drainage of the 12 volt back-up battery.

Correct, if you can get the car started. If not you have to jump the 12V.

>If you don't believe me disconnect your 12 volt battery and voila you car will still start.

If you disconnect the 12V battery, the car is dead as a doornail. Plus, you lose all your history and pre-sets.

>What do you do about the discharge of your nickel-metal-hydride battery ? If they are so discahrged they won't start the car, then they are probably into the "deep discharge" state that significantly shortens their life.

Correct, if the NIMH battery is really drained, the life may be shortened, but they can possibly be recharged. However, it takes a special Traction Battery Recharger that the Service Centers have.

If you're going to leave the car for a long time you can:

1) Disconnect the 12V, but you must reconnect it before starting the car, and you lose all your settings/history.

2) Have someone come by every week or so and just turn the car on for a half hour. The Traction Battery and ICE will top off the 12V. Have to make sure it's really "Ready" on - not just IGN on.

3) Hook up a maintenance charger. This is NOT a trickle charger. A trickle charger runs all the time, and can (risk, not certainty) overcharge and damage the 12V. a maintenance charger monitors the voltage across the battery and only charges when it begins to get low, and only as much as needed. They cost a bit more than trickle chargers, but not exorbitant. If you have a maintenance charger running, you can leave the 12V connected and not lose any puter settings. Some people have even wired in connectors to allow them to just plug it in.
  • mshannoncmshannonc Member Posts: 1
    I only need two (as I've had two flats and thus had 2 replaced by the dealership) ... I can't stand the Bridgestone Potenza RE92's that the dealership insists are the ONLY tire I can use on this car. HELP! Anyone have any other recommendations that I can use when only replacing 2 tires? Or do I need to replace all 4 to use a different tire? Thanks for the help!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    You might also want to consult our expert in the topic called Ask Connor at The Tire Rack. Just click on my link to visit that topic.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• yogieyogie Member Posts: 2
    I was just advised that my 2003 Pruis tires needed 45 pounds of pressure to stop the Whomp, Whomp noise. Is this correct.
  • marcbmarcb Member Posts: 152
    errr....wassa whomp whomp noise yogie?

Anyway not sure if this is related, but there were times when ice froze on my rims. The resulting imbalance caused the car to shudder at higher speeds (removing all the ice/snow between the spokes fixed the problem), at lower speeds it prolly felt similar to what you discribe.

If cleaning your rims won't take care of the problem, try to have them balanced. Hopefully they won't discover something more serious with your tires or rims.

Btw, just so people don't think Prius is prone to ice freezing on its rims, the ice on the rims were caused by my having to drive thru snow as deep as the underside of my '01 Prius. As long as you keep a good momentum and the tires touch the road, snow can't seem to stop this car.
  • yogieyogie Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. Marcb-The dealer did add 45 psi per tire and the strange noise did stop.
    I am on the 2nd set of front Toyota Bridgestone EL on my 2003 Pruis, the first time I heard the noise they gave my new front tires. The second time the up the psi to 45. So far no noise.
  • electrictroyelectrictroy Member Posts: 564
    The Honda, Ford, and Toyota Hybrids are parallel "mild" hybrids.

But here is a true parallel "full" hybrid.
    - Electric Motor at highway speed (>65mph)
    - -or- Combustion Engine at highway speed
    - -and- has a plug for recharging, so people can drive to work every day without burning a single drop of mideast oil

http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?section=article&storyid=312

troy
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A reporter is hoping to talk with Southern California residents who own a first- generation Toyota Prius, or who upgraded from a first-generation Toyota Prius to a newer one.

Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info by 12pm Friday, May 27, 2005.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • dgreenedgreene Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Prius and I also love my Prius. I am on the 2nd set of tires and was told today, a year after I bot my 2nd set that I need a new set of tires. I am not happy and it seems that no-one wants to accept responsibility for this problem. Maybe it will take a lawsuit for someone to correct this problem.

debi
  • stevewastevewa Member Posts: 203
    We just put the third set of RE92s on our 2002. (It has just over 60K miles). The first set wore very badly, Toyota replaced them (and did an alignment) under warranty. The second set wore quickly (we got about 33K out of them) but evenly, in part because I inflate the tires to 44psi front, 42psi rear. I and others believe the Toyota specified pressures of 37/35 psi are way too low for this vehicle. Of course YMMV and all that. Since the RE92s are XL rated tires they can handle up to 50psi cold pressure, so 44psi is well within the capability of the tire.

AFAIK there are only 2 XL rated tires in the size the Prius uses, the RE92 and the Dunlop SP10. Both are claimed to be OE fitments according to Tire Rack...
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    I would be much more confident about maximum road grip in both wet and dry conditions if I did not over-inflate my tires by seven pounds. That's just plain dangerous, and could cause an accident, since you are not presenting a complete tire patch to the road, just a narrow strip in the center of your tires. That would result in premature wear on the center of your tread as well as a harsher ride.

It's not worth the tradeoff for a few more mpg.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I would be much more confident about maximum road grip in both wet and dry conditions if I did not over-inflate my tires by seven pounds. That's just plain dangerous, and could cause an accident, since you are not presenting a complete tire patch to the road, just a narrow strip in the center of your tires. That would result in premature wear on the center of your tread as well as a harsher ride."

The original poster said the tires "wore evenly". Could he elaborate: Did the tires wear in the center first, or did they wear all the way across the tire?
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Here is a VERY INTERESTING page talking about fleet performance of a group of 2001 Prius cars in Canada.

"There were no costs identified that were specific to the hybrid components of the vehicles."

http://www.hybridexperience.ca/Reliability.htm

Battery Life
    A few Prius owners have commented that the vehicle’s 12 V battery has died when the car hasn’t been driven for a few days. Note: The 2001 Prius owners manual specifically states that the vehicle should be driven for 30 consecutive minutes at least once a week to ensure the battery remains properly charged.

For many consumers the life and replacement cost of the hybrid battery pack has been of concern. Toyota has issued the following statement about battery life:

"The Prius battery (and the battery-power management system) has been designed to maximize battery life. In part this is done by keeping the battery at an optimum charge level - never fully draining it and never fully recharging it. As a result, the Prius battery leads a pretty easy life. We have lab data showing the equivalent of 180,000 miles with no deterioration and expect it to last the life of the vehicle. We also expect battery technology to continue to improve: the second-generation model battery is 15% smaller, 25% lighter, and has 35% more specific power than the first. This is true of price as well. Between the 2003 and 2004 models, service battery costs came down 36% and we expect them to continue to drop so that by the time replacements may be needed it won't be a much of an issue. Since the car went on sale in 2000, Toyota has not replaced a single battery for wear and tear.”
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    More from this website...

http://www.hybridexperience.ca/Reliability.htm

Canada’s highest mileage Prius, a 2001 model, has operated for over 366,182 kilometres with only a few maintenance repair issues. Jatinder Parhar, owner of a Empress Taxi in Victoria, British Columbia, operates this vehicle.

That's 227,535 miles for those counting at home.... :D
    That's 227,535 miles for those counting at home

It looks like he made the grade with that first Prius. Taxi cabs are expected to have a 200k-300k mile life cycle without major repair. Passenger shuttle vans are expected to last 250k to 400k miles. If he can get 250k miles out of the 2004 Prius that will be a good test.
    The original tires (at toyota's specified 37/35 PSI) wore shoulders first. Classic symptom of UNDER inflation.

The second set of tires ran their whole life at 44/42 PSI and wore evenly across the entire tread surface. To me that says 37/35 is too low.

Car makers often choose the lowest pressure that will allow a tire to meet the weight requirements for the vehicle, to promote a "softer" ride. Sometimes they choose a pressure that's too low (Explorer/Firestone debacle, anyone?). I believe the 37/35 pressure for the Prius was too low and the tire wear seems to bear that out.

Ironically, the boneheads that installed the new tires horribly under inflated them (they said they would only inflate to the factory reccomendation, but the highest pressure I found on their "work" was 30 PSI and the lowest 26PSI) This after making a big deal of using "pure nitrogen" to inflate the tires...

YMMV of course.
    This after making a big deal of using "pure nitrogen" to inflate the tires...

Does the nitrogen add any life to the tires? If you add air doesn't that kind of pollute the nitrogen? You bring up some interesting points. I assume when I tell the tire guy what pressure I want in my tires that is what he does.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    I haven't read anything specific to the whole "nitrogen is better for your tires" issue, but keep in mind that the air that we breathe is made up of 80% nitrogen. The other 20% is Oxygen, CO2, and other mixed gasses. Personally I think its more of a way for them to make themselves different than the other 100's of tire places on the same street, but I could be wrong.

Just my $.02

BTW, many places will not go over the manufacturer's recomendations as corporate culture has dictated that it opens the place up to customer complaints about uneven tire wear due to pressures that are not in manufacturer specs, and of course the dredded lawsuit if anything does happen and tire pressure is found to be a contributing cause.

Toyota Ken
    The claim made at this warehouse store (I'll let you guess which one) is that Nitrogen fill is more stable than regular air. Sounds like pure marketing hype to me...as you mention the minute you top up the pressure you've "contaminated" the fill, and since I doubt they mount the tires in a pure nitrogen environment (employees in space suits, anyone?) there's already air in them!

Part of the problem in this particular case may have been that the tire installers were very busy, it was pouring down rain, and we'd been sitting there waiting more or less patiently for about 2 hours...

I'm withholding judgement for the time being, as the price was right, but I'll wait to see what they do at the rotate/rebalance visit.
    Yep, smells like a marketing gimmick to me...which is odd given the nature of this particular business (warehouse membership club).
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ....let's put this to bed. Yes, Costco uses nitrogen, and yes, Costco is absolutely hyper about tires after being sued for putting S-rated tires on a car whose OEM tires were H-rated. Now they refuse to budge from OEM speed-ratings, and OEM pressure recommendations. You are free to do what you want as soon as you drive away from the store.

Nitrogen IS more "stable" in that it has two characteristics that help - it varies less as the temperature goes up and down [normal variation is 1 psi for every 10 degrees F - nitrogen reduces the variance], and it seems to bleed less over time through the carcass and valve - all tires lose a certain amount of pressure over time, even if they are not driven.

None of this is revolutionary, either postively or negatively. It can hardly be a "marketing gimmick" when Costco does little or no marketing to sell their tire service. Most of their clientele couldn't pass a quiz on this topic to save their lives, either before or after their tires are installed.
This discussion has been closed.