Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti Q45

Comments

• confused23confused23 Member Posts: 2
    just read over 600 comments about this debate. confused as ever. looked at a 2000 q anniversary demo with 10,000 miles for $42,000 and have seen 1997 ls 400s with 25,000 mi. certified for $34,000. i want to own it for 6 or more years and get 150,000 miles of hassle-free driving. don't care about style, power- just want DEPENDABILITY. please advise
  • pgoldstonpgoldston Member Posts: 8
    In my research into the subtle differences between the '97 '98 & '99 I found that the '99 year model added in the HID headlights, the analog clock and the glass sunroof in lieu of the steel. (I had missed this item until your post mentioned it) But other than that, you are absolutely right about no one would know the difference between these model years driving down the street.
    I should mention that my wife has requested that which ever year we settle on it has to be a "t" model. She has driven both and loves the tighter/firmer suspension of the Q45t.
    Once again thanks for the feed back and insights.
    Best Regards,
    Phil
  • lllwlflllwlf Member Posts: 13
    42K is high. Places like carsdirect.com are selling new ones for that price. If you walked in there with 36.5, they'd take it.
  • aimanaiman Member Posts: 61
    confused23,

don't forget to try the Cadillac Seville STS. I think they can be had for huge discount like the Q45 (low $40k). Reliability should be among the best. In addition to offering more features, the Seville's crashworethiness is much better than the Q. Test drive them all and decide for yourself.

Good luck!
  • warnerfwarnerf Member Posts: 19
    aiman:

This forum is for people interested in the Q. Pro-Cadillac comments really aren't appropriate in here. Similarly, pro-Lexus or pro-Infiniti comments aren't appropriate in the Cadillac topics. The folks at Town Hall have been trying very hard to keep these forums informative, on topic, and minimize heated debates which are the inevitable outcome when models outside the topic at hand are introduced. Later.
    Well, confused32 was asking about whether he should pursue a brand new Q45 or a used LS400 (LS400 is not this forum's topic, btw). All I recommend was in addition to those two, test drive the Caddy as well. It's in the same price range afterall.
  • johnbeeejohnbeee Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 96 Q45 and noticed a "shudder" at about 15 mph when accelerating from a dead stop. It's as if you drove over a "ribbed" pavement but much more subtle. Seems to be the transmission or drivetrain NOT tires or suspension. Happens only as described above not at any other time. I have not yet been to the dealer.
  • johnbeeejohnbeee Member Posts: 2
    I have Perelli tires on a 96 Q I just purchased with 62,000 miles. They are NOT brand new tires and are VERY "noisy" at highway speeds. Is this a trade off for the handling of this brand? I would prefer less noise and handling for more quite and comfort. Michelin tires perhaps?
    Johnbee-
    It sounds like you have a lot of "problems" that your DEALER should look at.
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    Well, a Q45 is a performance car that is luxurious. It needs a performance tire to...... perform. I don't know what model PIRELLI is on the '96 and since the car was just bought, nobody knows how many miles are on the PIRELLI'S and how they were maintained.

Consensus is the Michelin Pilot XGTV4 is the best tire for the Q45 as it matches well with the car's performance and holds up well - the Q45 is a notorious tire-eater.

If you want quiet, try the Michelin Energy MXV4+ but be prepared to rotate/balance them frequently in order to get some mileage from them. The new Yokohama dB is supposed to be very quiet. Check it out.

You'll probably need new shocks & struts (OEM Tokico's). Have the car checked for suspension wear and repair as needed. Only then will you feel the real Q45 ride.
  • titanzroktitanzrok Member Posts: 1
    Without a doubt the leading expert on the new Q 45 is Neil Hayes at Infiniti of Nashville.
    He has been feeding factory shots and more for the last six months
    check out his website
    http://www.infinitiofnashville.com
    I can't believe where he gets his information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dibachdibach Member Posts: 1
    I don't know how anyone else feels but I love the look and specs on this updated Q. I have been planning to replace my 91Q this spring and was going to look for a used 97Q but this has me pulling together the $$ for the new Q. My dealer has said they are taking deposits ( refundable if you don't like it). I hope to be one of the first on the block to be driving this beauty. The Edmunds first look article is the most info I've seen on it to date.
  • binki535binki535 Member Posts: 7
    Hey titanzrock, when I go to the site, I cant click on the 2002 Q45 link. How can I see some more photos of the Q? Thanks for your help.
  • lahinch1lahinch1 Member Posts: 1
    Johnbee recently posted about the "shudder" at low speed that felt like going over a ribbed road. I just noticed the same thing at 1500-2000rpm. 95 Q with 85,000 miles. Any thoughts before it goes in. Getting ready to sell to upgrade to new or newer model. Thanks.
  • saxophonesaxophone Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone give me info on the 1996 Inifiniti Q45?
    Petersung,

in Houston 97 Q45 sell for around 20k. Imo, your price is too high.
    Do you have information of the 99Q45t in the Houston area and how much are they going for?

Here in the Phoenix area I'm seeing about the same selling price as "Petersung" on the 97Q's, so if the Q's are selling for a better price in the Houston area and since I'm looking for a 99Q, maybe it worth a trip to your area.

Best Regards,
    Phil
    pgoldston,

if I see some on the local newspaper, I'll let you know. My statement on the 97 price is based on the classified ads on Houston Chronicle. My bro. was considering buying one and low 20k seems to be the prevailing price. That was about 2 months ago, btw. One guy who my bro. called has access to auctions. He took us to this particular one and we saw tons of very recent Nissans (including 2000 Maxima--from rental maybe) and Infinitis. There were pretty much every color of 97 Q45 available. The mileage were mid 30's to 50's thousand miles. My guess is they're off-lease vehicle that the dealer can't sell (since they're quite unpopular).

Anyway, my guess is a 99 Q45 is about 30k.
    I appreciate the feed back. I'm hoping to locate a 99 off-lease but it may be a little soon to do so. I'll give it a few more months and see what develops.

Best Regards,
    Phil
    I just checked today's paper and found only a cuple of 97 and no other yr model. I also agree it's too soon to find a 99. But you never know. You can check Houston Chronicle's classified at houstonchronicle.com. Good luck.
  • benson6benson6 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my '91 Q45 in '96 and love it! if you've really had all the injectors replaced your in good shape from a repair standpoint! That was my biggest "problem" during the first 2 years of ownership... all 8!

I have a few things that I may need help on with my '91 Q. (It's got 145,000 miles) Can anybody help me?:

1. In the past month the car shakes when I accelerate and I'm at an RPM where the car may want to shift down soon... seems like an ECM issue but can a clogged fuel filter cause this problem?

2. Where can I get a service manual? I'd love to change the fuel filter and check out how hard it is to change a power window unit (goes up slow). Anything on-line?

3. There's a noticeable "growl" in the engine compartment... goes away when I switch the temp control system off. Is this just a compressor problem or a blower fan issue (again, service manual could help me identify the culprit).
  • faffairfaffair Member Posts: 1
    I live in Mass and own a 1999 q45 with 28,000 miles
    need to sell due to handicap...dealer offered us 23,000 on a trade Ridiculous, huh? How much should I sell it for privately? Thanks for the help!!!
    I just checked here at Edmunds under the used vehicles area for a 99 Q45 and Edmunds list trade in value at $30,140 and private party sale at $31,609. You might want to checkout Kelly-Blue-Book at kkb.com and see what would be a reasonable amount to ask for your 99Q.

Did the dealer give you a reason for such a low offer?

Good luck and keep us posted as to the outcome of your sale.

Best Regards,
    Phil
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    Go to the Smart Shopper conference and ask Bill in Real World Trade in Values about your '99. Be specific about the options, mileage, and condition and he'll give you an honest price based on auction reports and market value. Bill's a real straight shooter; he's helped me on a couple of cars.
    I completely forgot about Bill "brentwoodvolvo".

"Faffair" you can find his topic as "bretfraz" instructed in the Smart Shopper Conference #2244

Best Regards,
    Philip

ps. I miss typed the web address above to Kelly Blue Book... it should be www.kbb.com
  • ardvarkusardvarkus Member Posts: 90
    Hey folks. I may be in the market for a low mileage Q. 90 to 92 vintage. Anybody know of one? (I've got a 90 with 190k on it, owned it since Aug 12, 1990, and figure I can get another 5 years with a spare!) For performance, nothing beats the old Q. BTW, the new LS430 is FINALLY equal to the original 90 Q.

Drop me a note: adams@adiana.com

Thanks
  • vincezovincezo Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a '97 q45 with 34,000 miles for $23,000. The car runs like a dream. I don't know why Infiniti's are undervalued but I'm not complaining.

To make a long story short, I was "challenged" to a performance test on the highway by some guy in a lexus gs 430. I sped up to about 130 mph but the lexus seemed faster. I later found out that the lexus gs430 has 300 hp unlike the infiniti's 266 hp. Does anyone know anything about Infiniti Q45 performance tunining? What effects does performance tunning have on infiniti Q45? I would like my infiniti to have between 350 and 400 hp.

Vincenzo
  • binki535binki535 Member Posts: 7
    You can get a supercharger or turbocharger, or get a new chip, new air filter and there are other blot on stuff you could get. 350hp is a lot of power. I dont know if superchargers or bolt ons will get you that much but Im sure its possible, but with a lot of $$$.
    Would you like it to fly too?
  • ezavaletaezavaleta Member Posts: 25
    I'm new to researching the Q45, so any comments would be appreciated. Have found a 1994 Q with 60k miles for $12.5k. Seems to b a great deal. The single owner says that he has had no mechanical problems. Will go see it today or tomorrow. Anything major to look for? If I don't see anything obvious, will take it to a dealer for an inspection.

Anxious to become a Qer,
    Thanks
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    The 94 to 96 Q45's are in my humble opinion the best of the breed. You should expect a long and satisfying relationship with the car. The only thing to watch out for is if it is an active suspension car. The active is a hell of a car to drive but can be expensive to fix if the suspension breaks.
  • jmatas76jmatas76 Member Posts: 3
  • jmatas76jmatas76 Member Posts: 3
    Try Jim Wolfe (www.jimwolfetechnology.com).
    From what I've heard from the experts, this is the place to go for quality Q upgrades.
  • saxophonesaxophone Member Posts: 3
    I would appreciate any info anyone has on the 1996 Q45, that includes price, mechanics, making of spare keys, service cost etc.
  • dawindawin Member Posts: 15
    Can anyone tell your recent purchase price for the 2000/2001 Q45(especially in So.Cal)? Currently there are $6000.00 dealer incentive for the 2000 and 2001 model.
    Thanks.
    There is a real fire sale going on the 2000/2001Q. I've seen the going for 4-5K UNDER dealer invoice, which is about 10K under sticker.
  • psymacpsymac Member Posts: 4
    Wondering if anyone can suggest either the 1996 or 1997 Q. Here in Florida, the 1996 goes for about 18K, while the 1997 is about 24-25K, both at local, franchised dealerships. I suppose I can get a '97 rather easily, since they are coming off-lease now.

I know the 'soul' of the Q was changed in '97, with the smaller engine and slight body style changes, as well as suspension (struts vs mulilink). I am pleased however with the '97 increased interior room (especially back seat) and the more luxury appearance of the cabin. Either way, would probably what the Touring version.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

And by the way, I've looked at/driven at several other cars and here are my brief impressions:

BMW 5 and 7 series: too severe, minalist, smallish

Mercedes: same as above, over-rated

300M: still looks like a family car inside, sun-roof not standard

Lexus: bland and very, very boring-such a predictable car, its still a Toyota IHMO

Jaguar: Only if it was more reliable and had a higher stance! The newer ones are interesting though

I don't know why, but I always keep coming back to the Q, it has such a addictive quality to it, exciting to see one on the road!
  • fennfenn Member Posts: 197
    Having owned four I's from both vintages, up through my '99 Q45t. I will offer my comments..... The '96 will be a better performer from a handling and acceleration point of view, but the 97 may be a more comfortable and soother driving car. What are you looking for? The 97 is a bit stodgier than the earlier car, but is is really well appointed and well built. I really loved my early I's, but I adore my '99 Q45t for different reasons....proabably because it is the most comfortable and carefree cars I have ever owned. It is smooth, pretty quick, and bulletproof... I have almost 40,000 miles on it with no repairs, rattles, or other service issues. Although, as much as I love it, I cannot wait for the new generation 430hp I this spring...
  • tjk42tjk42 Member Posts: 1
    I have 91 Q45, front passinger side door lock does not close electrictly. How to remove door panel to check door lock solenoid operation? Can anybody advice?
  • rpm9rpm9 Member Posts: 73
    An insider at Infiniti told me what Q45 stands for. Since the Q45 can seat five people, the letter "Q" stands for Quality, the number "4" stands for For, and the number "5" stands for Five People. Hence the name, "Quality For Five"...
    Never heard that before...I read that the 45 was due to the 4.5 liter engine in the original Q
  • whackowhacko Member Posts: 96
    Then it must mean "Quality 4.5 Engine"...
  • wjc23wjc23 Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone purchased one recently? I understand there are $10,000 incentives b/c the new 340 hp Q is coming out in March or April. Does that mean dealer cost on 2001 Q45 is approx. $35,000?
    I saw the new Q45 at the L.A. Auto Show.... Although it was up on a rotating turntable, and was not available to touch. I think that it looks somewhat better in person than in the advance photos. It is not riveting in its exterior design at first glance, but it is nice-enough looking. It's a bit more distinctive than the bland new Lexus 430's looks. The grill on the new Q45 looks huge... It is quite an ironic counterpart to the original Q45 that featured no grill! The interior on the new car looks nice, spacious, and sumptuous too.... they say its got real wood trim! The photos that I had previously seen a show a maple colored interior trim, but the show car had a dark cherry colored wood with a black interior...really nice looking. The real proof of this car's success will be the way it drives with all of that horsepower! And, if they keep the price below the competition they will have a winner...
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    Dealer Incentive on Q45 is $6000 so invoice price is approx. $40,000.
  • stingrayy1stingrayy1 Member Posts: 17
    Went to the show last night...there were 4 2002 Q45 on display...3 were on the floor available for the public to molest. The outside definitely has more character than LS430. But the inside is a disappointment. Definitely not up to par with the quality Lexus demonstrated. Just take a small detail like the rear sun shades. The plastic screen Infiniti uses feels flimsy. The ergonomics of the front dash just leaves more to be desired. Now I'm just waiting till April for a test drive to decide between the LS430 or the Q45. Mmm...than there's the new 740iL coming this fall...
  • babaerobabaero Member Posts: 1
    hi fellow Qers,

I purchased a used Q45 in 1998 a 1991 with 89,000 miles I drive alot of miles per day and have yet to breakdown on me....ooops my mistake, the fuel pump when out.... other than that I love the Q, I upgraded the Bose system, with a amp and sub system from kicker, gonna add a air intake system by stillen or monster flow, possibly a tornado air system as well. I have subscriptions to japanese magazine and see the nice fixed up Q's from japan and i wanna go crazy.... I have alot of pics to post.. any idea on getting more horsepower by keeping it street legal and passing smog in sunny calif. pls feel free to email me.

Got a nice Q with rims/springs/and kit send pics for the readers gallery.... there are alot of companies in japan that make nice body kits for the Q, I'll post thier links on my website..as well as any links catering to us Qers

Look for it in the next few weeks.

WWW.Q45RACING.COM

p.s. my son wants my Q when i get the 2002, to show his friends not only honda/toyota/mitsu. But i might keep it myself to outrun all those mention above. hey cruzing and racing at the same time with Luxury & Power.... welcome to the world of the Q.....
  • abillyabilly Member Posts: 1
    Ive been in love with Q's since i first drove one of the initial entry's to the U.S. I thought that the unique styling and definate performance made this car a hit...but who am I, they changed the car totally...or submitted... should I say....Yesterday, I went to the Detroit International Auto Show and.........there it was! the 2002 "Q"..... One Gorgeous AUTOMOBILE!!!! and, if im to believe those folks at Infiniti perhaps they have now remembered their initial intention was to build a world class vehicle (I've always felt they had a superior product to Lexus)...Seems those folks over there at Nissan have realized there are enough rolling living rooms out there already, and Cadillac is not a car to aspire to.... If this new Q drives like it looks.....they might have to step up production
  • infiniti_lemoninfiniti_lemon Member Posts: 21
    Maybe you guys can help me out, seeing that you are either Infiniti customers or potential buyers. I appreciate any support you guys can give me. Put yourself in my shoes and see if you'd like it....

Here is the website detailing my problems with Infiniti/Nissan over my lemon QX4. Putting the finishing touches on it this week, and I'm thinking about buying an appropriate domain name for it.

read all about it:

http://sleepwalk.home.mindspring.com

This discussion has been closed.