Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti Q45

Comments

• fsvfsv Member Posts: 196
    There is a new concept out there, which will be a replacement for Q45/M45. It looks nice; called Fuga. Who said that Nissan is so much out of his mind to abandon segment?
  • fennfenn Member Posts: 197
    They will not abandon the segment. They are going just going to revisit it from a different angle. I think that they will "do it right" too
  • fsvfsv Member Posts: 196
    Here is the best pic of the new Fuga I could find so far - http://www.autoweek.nl/newsdisp.php?cache=no&ID=1915 - those who speak Dutch, are especially blessed, since they'll be able to read the article also, though what they say there is more of usual blah-blah. How "right" it will be we'll see; hopefully it takes off & flies.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    rather quiet lately...everyone gone to sleep???... been reading up on used Q45s...apparently 2000, and especially 2001, were the "dark years for Infiniti"...were the cars that bad, or were they just similar to the previous years cars, waiting for the big changeover in 2002???...are 1999, 2000, and 2001 worth owning, or buying used today???...does the car still move well with 266 HP???...I assume 340 HP would be faster, but most vehicles that exceed 250 HP usually can hold their own on 0-60 acceleration and high-speed passing...I believe the 99-01 Q45t versions come equipped with the infamous soprt suspension that costs $10K to repair, probably better to get the std version...any comments on the 99-01 cars as to whether or not they are worth buying used???...assume 75K miles, or they wearing out or just broken in???...while 2002 would be nice, it seems the older cars can be had for $25K or much less, or would one be buying "trouble on the cheap"???...thanks for any thoughts...
  • sysadbsysadb Member Posts: 83
    I wouldn't worry too much about the 97-01 cars. Relative to other luxury cars they're very reliable. The 4.1 engine is not as quick as some of the competition, but neither is the Jag XJ or the Audi A8 from that period. This model Q is more designed for luxury than performance, and delivers pretty well, as long as you don't require a huge backseat or large trunk. Quick depreciation on this model makes them attractive used car buys, IMO.

I think the suspension issue you're thinking about is from the early Q45, which offered the Lotus-designed Active Suspension option. The 97-01 models did not have that. It worked well, but could be expensive to repair. The sport suspension adjustment on the newer models is not related to the old system.

DB
  • bob550kbob550k Member Posts: 148
    The 99-01 Q is a very reliable very powerful car. The suspension you refer to was the Q45a and was discontinued long before the 1999 model. The Q45t had no such problems. The 99-01 is very reliable and they are a great buy used. Those years are the dark years because compared to the earlier Q's the 99-01 cars carry less weight, less horsepower (so it doesn't ride as nice), no limited slip, downgraded interior features i.e. no power head rests, the visors are much lower quality, the interior components are cheaper in comparison, the transmission is not as good (EOD vs AOD), I think the forged crank is gone so you lose the 7,100rpm redline, there's more but I really can't remember the rest. So don't drive an earlier Q and I bet you will love how much car you get for the cost of the 99-01. It's a very nice car, Nissan just did some serious cost cutting in those years compared to the early cars. Keeping that in mind it think you will be shocked at how nice that model is for the money. I think Nissan took 400lbs out of the 2nd Generation cars so the incredibly smooth 266HP it delivers moves the car plenty fast, more than enough to see 140MPH+ in a big hurry! Personally I would get the Touring Suspension at minimum or the Anniversary edition if I could find one. The Anniversary edition was god awful expensive new so it has a ton of options. If you are worried about repairs, (you need to verify this with the dealer) if you get a car that is less than 4 years in service with less than 40,000 miles you can extend the factory warranty even if it's from a private party. Shop the price of the factory extended warranty as it varies greatly from dealer to dealer. That was the best warranty I have ever enjoied. 7 years, 100,000 miles nearly bumper to bumper. I wasted the $1,900.00 the extended warranty cost on mine since the car was quite reliable. I sold my 95 Q45t to my assistant so I have to see the car every day and kick myself for selling it! I bought a 2000 Navigator, hated the beast and sold in less than 2 months.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    responded, especially with the extended answers...very helpful...I did forget to ask one thing most important...how does the Q45 do in crash tests...is one as safe as, say, something larger like Deville or Town Car???...I would hate to buy a nice car but suffer poor survivability in a moderate crash...thanks again...
  • gibogibo Member Posts: 22
    I had a Q45 for 11 years. Got it the first year it came out. (NO CUP HOLDERS!) The car had very few minor problems and almost 200,000 miles. I never even replaced the timing belt. I did end up having to replace the fuel injectors which cost me much more than the car was worth. Bottom line, it's a great and reliable car. And at 11 years old it was still fun to knock your head back when you punch it.
  • wibblewibble Member Posts: 569
    In the Insurance Institute for high Safety (IIHS) crash tests, the Q45 is rated as one of their best picks. Passed all categories with flying colours.
  • kappaman1kappaman1 Member Posts: 18
    HI guys. I own a "99 Q with about 57k miles. recently I've had a intermittent problem with the car starting. It has a strong turn when starting, but sometimes it want turn over. Replaced plugs, and added fuel injector cleaner. Took it to dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong. Any ideas? Otherwise the car has been wonderful with no problems.
  • oman9oman9 Member Posts: 97
    I have had this problem with my '98 I30t. If it is the same deal I had, it has to do with the air/gas mixture (the relative amounts of each) that go thru to the engine. Just mention this to your service tech as a possible solution. If you adjust this mixture back to spec, your problem may be solved. Good luck!
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    It's undoubtedly an issue with your fuel injection in closed loop not functioning correctly. The fix, however, is beyond me.
  • andykruserandykruser Member Posts: 1
    I am really excited because I just purchased a 1990 infinity Q45 with 107k miles. It was well taken care of, and runs like a drea, but I have been looking around trying to find as much as I can on it, but have been having trouble finding info in general. I would love to find some comparison tests for the 1990, along with some specs and times. I also had a question about the bose stereo, and switching it out, becasue it doesn't have a cd player. But I also know that there are certain restrictions when working with bose. In addition I wanted to confirm that my timing belt had been changed, or does it have a timing chain? If anyone could just help me out with any general knowledge on the car I would be very appreciative. Thanks.
    The Bose cannot be swapped out for other makes without changing the speakers as well, as they have their own separate amps. So figure in new speakers and wiring also.

You can check with your local Infiniti dealer that you plan to use and have them pull up the service history on your car (they have a database). If service was done by an Infiniti dealer they should have a record of it. It sounds like you didn't get any service records with the car so you're in the dark other than Infiniti records.

I have a 90 also, with 43k miles..

DB
  • kappaman1kappaman1 Member Posts: 18
    I think I figured out the problem with My '99 Q having some problems starting. I failed to mention that the problem only occured when my wife drove the car. My wife and I use different keys. We strongly suspect that it is her key that is the culprit. I never had a problem when I drove the car. I was starting to think that it was her. Anyway, I'm taking car to dealer next week to have key checked out. Will keep you'll posted.
  • norawittnorawitt Member Posts: 1
    I've understand that as in many cars, there are the more desirable production years for a given model. I'm looking for a good used Q and I want to spend <10k...What's the consensus here as to the best year(s) for the Q...I loved the early models 90-92 with the badge and no grill, but what's the best value?

Thanks
    Personally, I liked the second generation Q better than the first, which looked more like it came from Dearborn than Hiroshima. Anyway, they're all nice - find one that fits your budget.
  • 95mushroom95mushroom Member Posts: 230
    There was an 02 Q45 in the paper today for $19,999. I couldn't believe the price, but when I tried to call the guy, he wasnt there. Any ideas on why they want 20? High miles?

If it did have high miles, for an 02' they would almost certainly be highway miles right?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Shawn
    Q's are great second sale values - they don't hold value too well, but they are great cars anyway. Buy it, if you like it.
    You really don't know what's up until you get info on the car. You'll need to speak to the owner and then evaluate the car. Could be high milage, OR the car could have damage, OR might have been formerly damaged, etc., etc. There are a lot of reasons the car could be priced low...

DB
  • bob550kbob550k Member Posts: 148
    Try 100,000 miles, salvage title, it's an '01 that was titled in '02 and it's booger green with green interior... I've been keeping watch on the prices of the '02 (I miss my Q) and I would love to own the new body style. There are some '02's for sale out there but they are a bit more than $19,999.00. The outstanding debt on a '02 would likely be more than $19,999.

If it is an '02, look very, very close, then have the Dealer look closer.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2004 Survey is posted and ready for your input!
  • msurianimsuriani Member Posts: 5
    Sorry for seeing this topic much later (May).
    When I purchased my '93 Q45 in 7/96, I had the dealer install a SONY 6 disc changer in the trunk as I had seen on other earlier Qs. That installation included a display and remote, operated by picking an FM station to pick up the changer. So radio and speakers were still intact. Works fine, however, every other vehicle I've owned has CD player built in so I don't need to find a remote or look at a dismal
    LCD.
  • jeff866jeff866 Member Posts: 5
    I spent around 5 months trying to find my dad a luxury car. He only buys new and was only willing to spend in the 30's. He also required a navigation system. My parents also prefer the reliability of Japanese cars. He is 75 so I wanted him to experience a real luxury car. Unfortunately, for what he was willing to spend, it certainly looked like he was going to have to buy near luxury.

Then I got a phone call from a Chicago dealer. He said he would sell us a new 03 with Journey Package, MSRP about 57,000 for 39,500. It has voice control, navigation, and intelligent cruise control. The car had 35 miles on it when they took delivery. They have had the car for about a month and love it. In my opinion, the Q is a great value with the deals you can get. He got a new Q for about the same price as a loaded ES 330. The Q is the only rear wheel drive, 8 cylinder, luxury car, you can buy new in the 30's.
    "The Q is the only rear wheel drive, 8 cylinder, luxury car, you can buy new in the 30's."

Apart from the Infiniti M45 :)
    OK, let me rephrase that. "The Q is the only rear wheel drive, 8 cylinder, flagship luxury car, you can buy new in the 30's." The M45 is mid-luxury.
    Unfortunetly, the reason it has to sell new in the 30's probably has something to do with the fact that my post got one entire response in a month.
    The price of the 2003 makes a nice story in this case - the father got a great car for the money. But there aren't many leftover 2003 cars out there. 2004 cars won't go for that price.

Wibble mentioned the M45. I can think of two other rwd 8-cyl lux cars you can buy under 40k - the Lincoln LS and the 300M. Count the Town Car also..

I think the new M will do much better, though.

DB
    Infiniti are offering dealers $5000 for each 2004 Q45 sold in August. Might be useful to know if you're in the market.
    I don't know why you said 2004 Q45s won't go for that price. In Chicago they already have ads for 9,000 off MSRP. Each week the discount goes up $2,000.
    There's really no reason for them to sell the '04s for under $40k now. And they will not be "lowering them $2k per week". Infiniti has sold them for $10k off before, but they did not build many Q's this year, and have not had incentives on them until recently. Many other luxury brands are reducing their cars $9-$10k as well, so the discount is not radical. With a $5k incentive a $9k discount is about right, and will probably go a grand or two lower. There's no panic to move them - my local dealer doesn't even have any left to sell..

But the point is that you bought an '03 - not an '04. The dealer had probably already amortized much of the cost of the '03. The selling price of a leftover 2003 vs a 2004 will not be the same.

DB
    I was just kidding with the $2,000 per week statement. Last week my local dealership was selling Q45s for $7,000 off MSRP and this week it is $9,000 off. So that was just my dry sense of humor.

Where are you from? There are many '03 Q45s here in Chicago. At least there was when my dad got his in June. Every store in the area with the exception of one had several.

The luxury cars that are being discounted $10,000 are the ones that need to be, because of lack of sales. We also looked at the BMW and Lexus. A few thousand off at either of these dealerships is a big sale.

But, please don't get me wrong. I am on your side. I think the Q45 is a great car and I hope they hold their value better. How many fewer cars were produced in '04 than '03?

I asked my Infiniti salesman (I have a G35) how dealerships can afford to sell a car $18,000 below MSRP. He said a car has an anniversary after a year and the dealership is either forced to buy the car or write it off. The dealer's options are to put the car out to auction or sell for auction price to a customer.
  • anchormananchorman Member Posts: 9
    Anyone know if there's a way to get a factory satellite radio installed in an '02 Q? I know it's in the '03s and '04s, but was wondering if a dealer could install a new radio in my '02, allowing me to get XM, and to control it by voice. Have an aftermarket connected through the cassette deck, but really want a more permanent and better looking solution.
  • hakunahakuna Member Posts: 2
    There is a '98 Q45T with 23.6k miles for sale for $16.9k in my area. Original owner says its been garaged throughout and has all maint. records. Calls it "better" than excellent condition. He's asking a premium over book - does anybody know of any bad problems/tempermental issues with this year?
  • kazkaz Member Posts: 1
    92 Q45 Repairs by kaz Sep 14, 2004 (11:40 pm)

Bookmark
    I understand there is an expert mechanic in St. Louis that is able to repair the older Q's when even Infinity shops can not figure it out. Is any one aware of who this might be? Any good Q mechanics in the Kansas City area? I've had to replace the altenator twice, fuel injectors, brakes all the time...but I love the way this car performs...when it performs. Help!
  • larry3larry3 Member Posts: 1
    After raving about my q45 the first 6 months of ownership I am now facing issues with tires that cant keep pressure, driver seats that slip, excessive oil consumptions, intermittent radio issues, and a feeling that I was a jerk for believing there was another car manufacturer that could build cars like Toyota. Additionally the alarm has had fits of going off by itself, the a/c is marginal, and I just feel like the car was a bad choice on my part. Has anyone had issues with the 2002 first year model? I have about 49k miles on it. The oil consumption, a quart ever 1200 miles or so crazy. Also as delivered the rotors had issues in the first 300 miles, and I am still paying for early brake replacement problems. The dealer has been good but I have no time for this type of stuff, thinking of just selling it and taking the loss. I have purchased a lot of cars over 26 years (73 cars for me and my business) and this is one of the most expensive mistakes I have made.
  • jvcnjvcn Member Posts: 50
    Wanting a somewhat cushy daily driver I decided to look at well-used luxury sedans. Intrigued by the prices on used Q45s I went to the lots to look at them last week. Very handsome cars and they drive very smoothly. Huge depreciation on ones that were 4 to 6 years old.

One big problem, I was surprised at how poorly they (1999 and 1998 Q45s) accomodate tall drivers. I'm 6'5" and when in a comfortable position headroom is worse than in a Dodge Stratus. Overall, it felt slightly cramped no matter how I adjusted things.

In contrast sitting in an LS 400 was heavenly. Spacious and easy to find natural position. This comfort contributed to the feeling of buttery smoothness when driving the car.

I must say, my hopes of finding an underpriced large luxury sedan were dashed. I shall have to stick to the Lexus as I don't trust used domestic barges, I hate the seating on the BMW and don't think any MBs are good value. Or else I'll just buy cheap domestics that are 1-2 years old and dump them when they start to break down.
  • philephile Member Posts: 1
    I am wearing out tires in 5000 miles. Wear is on the front inside. Alignment has been done twice and shows it is aligned. What other problem could be causing the wear.
    The dealer can't seem to solve the problem
    Thanks,
    phil
    Have they checked the camber? Is it all 4 or just the front or rear?
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Does anyone know what Infiniti Employee Pricing is? How is the price figured?
  • tlcmantlcman Member Posts: 220
    Hi everyone merry christmas, Ive been looking between Mazdas 929 and 626 and the infiniti Q45 of yester-year 92-98 and while the styling is not the pretiest on the outside, I like the power under the hood and the interior is plenty posh. Just what to know what are some issues that I am looking into here and is this a solid built car that can handle some evasive 100mph plus moves on a desolite colorado back road? Help would be apreiciated! The cars are used in good condition (preferably with records) and have around 70-100k miles on them.

-Thanks
  • heyladyheylady Member Posts: 1
    I have a Q myself, a 2001, and it's awesome! the real question is what kind of a price range you're looking at, then figure out what car fits in that range.
  • gemgemgemgem Member Posts: 3
    Are there any owners of 1993 era Q45 models who could advise me if they have installed an after market cd player and how to resolve the issue of worn cracked leather driver seat and centre arm rest
    I had a 93. I would say your best bets are either to find (If you're REAL lucky)a matching seat and armrest at a junkyard, or to get them re-upholstered at a fabric shop, assuming the seat underneath is OK. Buying a new seat would be very expensive.

DB
    About the CD player...there are aftermarket CD changers you can trunk mount to use with your stock BOSE stereo. However, you might think about replacing the entire stereo instead before adding a changer. The problem is that the stock BOSE stereo is difficult to repair (if it can be repaired at all). I just had a problem with the 90 I own, and new parts were unavailable. Each BOSE speaker has it's own amp, so you can't just replace the radio with something else - the speakers must be replaced also if you change the stereo to another brand.

So...if it were me I wouldn't add a CD changer to the stock BOSE system unless the radio shop guaranteed me the changer could be used with a replacement stereo unit if the original goes bad. I just replaced the entire system with a nice Clarion stereo/single CD unit with Blauplunkt speakers. ($500)

DB
  • mechrad1mechrad1 Member Posts: 26
    How is the reliability of q45. Looking to pick up an off lease 03 later in the year. Anyone have experience with them
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi mechrad1 and welcome.

I hope you'll take advantage of the information contained in the previous postings here - you should find it quite helpful.

Good luck!
  • jasonnbjasonnb Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 and it's been great. You should really check out the freshalloy Q forum. There are about 30 owners on their who actively post, including me. Anytime you have a problem, chances are they know the answer.
  • brockwestbrockwest Member Posts: 7
    Good news/Bad news for Stolen Infinity with Lo-Jack
    Good news: Lo-Jack located the car on other side of town in ten minutes.
    Bad news: cost to re-key the car....ready? $1250.00.
  • pesantespesantes Member Posts: 1
    I love my 1990 (104kmiles) q45, but in the last 6 months I've had problems with the engine reving up and down when parked. Also when accelerating, it lags, this does not happen all the time, that's why my mechanic can't diagnostic with the computer. My mechanic suspect it is the air flow meter. Has anybody had the same problem. Please help me. My email address is: Ben@Pesantes.com
This discussion has been closed.