Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti Q45

Comments

• elvis4elvis4 Member Posts: 3
    Let's see if I can remember the way I removed mine? Just kidding, I replaced a dash and a speedometer and know that you will not have to remove the whole dash. The first thing will be to remove the panel around the steering wheel, or the wood trim if you have that in your car. Then you will remove the plastic covering from around the steering wheel which will expose the steering column. Make sure that you put the steering wheel is all the way down so that you have room to remove the top panel. after all this is done you can see all that you need to see to fix your problem. I have done some major changes to my car and if I can help in any other way let me know and I hope this helps.
  • beautyqueenbeautyqueen Member Posts: 2
    your cd changer needs to be reset. i have a '95 and i just need to take out the plugs for about a min then it resets and i can play cd's fine.
  • beautyqueenbeautyqueen Member Posts: 2
    I purchasedt he car about 2 months ago and it worked like a charm in the beginning. About a week later it started stalling when i came to stop lights/signs or was in traffic. I had a diagnostics check on it and nothing turned up. I also had it checked several other times but no one could find the problem, I was basically told not to worry about it since it didn't show on the computer and it didn't ahppen when they test drove it. I'm a little concerned because I can't seem to find out what the problem is. Before it looses power it usually starts to shake, alot of exhaust comes out the tailpipe and the rpm gague goes from 0 or 1 to 2 then back down and vice versa. Once it looses power and cuts off, it starts back up. The problem doesn't happen all the time it can happen for a week then the next 2 weeks no problems at all. Has anyone else had this problem? Please contact me if you can help with this problem. Other than this issue the car is wonderful.
  • bob96bob96 Member Posts: 1
    I just had the same problem.Started up fine on a cold start took off and engine died. Pulled over and engine cranked up but felt like running on half power for a few seconds then died. Next two attempts to start no luck at all.Next try maybe 2-4 minutes after the initial problem it started up and is running fine!
    Hopefully it is justa dirty fuel filter but so far I can't find it to check it.
    The fuel tank was full and I dont often let the tank get to low so as to keep the fuel pump cool.

The only other quirk on my 94 Q-45 is maybe once a month or so the transmission will rev high in a low gear without shifting up.It goes away after a minute or so and runs normal again.
    I really like the cornering with the active susspension but the ride is very rough- the rear passengers complain!
    Other than being a gas hog it is really fun to drive!
  • vishaltvishalt Member Posts: 1
    Yes, i am facing the same problem. Its a 1995 Q45. it has 161k miles on it. It stops at the red signals at the intersections or at the stop signs. I have to put it in parking mode and then stop it and start it again. Then it runs again. I dont know what the problem is. Hope its not the transmission. Sometimes when i go on the freeway when i press the gas pedal it does not accelerate, the speedometer starts going down. Then after a few seconds it runs. I am not sure what is going on.
    Please let me know if anybody knows what the problem is and how to rectify it.
  • miata007miata007 Member Posts: 129
    You guys might want to check out the MAF (Mass Airflow Flow sensor) to see if that's the cause of the problem. I would first check the wire connector and clean the MAF. If you need help here is a link:

http://www.q45.org/techhelp.html

• jmeadowsjmeadows Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Q45 that has a Sony 10 disc cd changer mounted from the factory in the trunk. When I bought the car, I did not realize that the magazine assembly (holds the cd's) was missing. Sony says that they do not have it since it was made for Nissan (Infiniti) and that I would have to order it from them. I tried that but my dealer is saying that it has been "discontinued". I have also tried several electronics dealers too with no luck. Other than replacing the changer, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
  • klpeelklpeel Member Posts: 46
    I received a red "A Line Has Been Drawn" brochure from Infinity a few weeks ago displaying their current line up, with an artistic brush stroke defining the look of each car. It lists and waxes poetically about (in this order):

M
    FX
    G35 Sedan
    G35 Coupe
    QX56

No mention of the Q45, though. Interesting.
  • posterboyusaposterboyusa Member Posts: 2
    I have a mint 1992 Q45 and the air bag light flashes on and off while I drive. This all started in May 05 after I had some work done with the fuel injector. The work was done by a garage other than the local Infiniti dealership. I was then told by that garage that I would have to take it into a Infiniti dealership for the computer to be reset. They want to charge me $108 to just evaluate the situation. Is this common on Q45's?

I also recently noticed that the screen on my dashboard was alerting me that my "Brake Pads Are Worn". I took the car in to have the pads replaced, but the same message has remained on the screen? When the car alerted me of the rear pads being worn last spring, I had them replaced and the message discontinued. This time I don't have a clue. Can someone please help?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Yes, there's a reason for that. I was very interested in a Q this fall, and when I went to the dealer to check them out, they only had 4 of them, I asked to drive one, but the salesman kept trying to interest me in the M. I have not interest in the M. The Salesman finally agreed to give me a price on the Q, but in his efforts to move me to the M, he told me they didn't think the Q was going to be continued for 06. Perhaps it hasn't. His classic line, when I told him I was interested in the Q was, "Oh, we don't sell many of those"...... I can see why. They didn't sell me one either, the deal was horrible. I bought a Lexus LS430 instead.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might want to also post in the discussion at this link: Got a Quick, Technical Question?
  • posterboyusaposterboyusa Member Posts: 2
    I have a mint 1992 Q45 and the air bag light flashes on and off while I drive. This all started in May 05 after I had some work done with the fuel injector. The work was done by a garage other than the local Infiniti dealership. I was then told by that garage that I would have to take it into a Infiniti dealership for the computer to be reset. They want to charge me $108 to just evaluate the situation. Is this common on Q45's?
    Did you see my reply to you just above your most recent post? The reason I suggested that is because this is not one of our most active discussions and I was thinking that the folks hanging out in that Technical Questions discussion might have a thought for you while you wait to see if someone here can suggest something.

Hope this helps.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Why does Infiniti treat the Q so poorly? No ad support (I've seen the new mailing with not even a whisper of the Q), sales people treat the car like it has leprosy, and nobody I know of seems to care about this car or even know that it exists.

The Q SEEMS like a fantastic car. Why does infiniti treat it like an unloved stepson? This car could and should be out on the leading edge of luxury automobiles. Why bother making a car that you have no plans to support?

I just don't get it.
  • sysadbsysadb Member Posts: 83
    Posterboy - I think your car has brake pad sensors (my 93 did). When the pads are worn the sensor detects this and pops a relay that triggers the warning msg. If you replace the pads before they're too worn the sensor never does this, so you don't know about the relay. But once the relay is broken it must be replaced to get rid of the warning light. I think the relay might be optional and your repair shop may not have ordered it with the brake pad kit, but I'm not sure about that part. In any case, I would expect this to be the cause of your warning light not being "reset"

DB
  • bdog1976bdog1976 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same exact problem in my 1996 Infinity Q45
    Did you ever fix the problem by cleaning the corrosion up on the power steering module????

Let me know before i rip the dash apart.
    P.S i have 176,000 on my bad boy best used car i ever bought
  • timr1timr1 Member Posts: 2
    my son bought a used Q45 several months ago. a few days ago, all the dashboard lights ~ other than the one that warns of "brake pads worn" ~ are out... no light at all. i check the fuses and did not see one that said dashboard.. but looked them over anyway without any luck. anyone have any suggestions?

also, although the brake lights and the turn signals work, the rear running lights do not work making night driving dangerous.

the car has alot of miles and is not worth putting alot of $ into. would appreciate and thoughts or ideas.

tim
    You might want to also post this in our Electrical Problems discussion. And have a look at the rest of the discussions on the Maintenance & Repair board in case something else there might be helpful to you.

Good luck with it.
  • 2004q452004q45 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Q45 with active suspension that I would like to lower by approximately 1". Eibach and intrax used to offer springs to lower this car but they have been discontinued. Does anyone know of any spring manufacturers who offer this package? Does anyone know of any concerns of lowering these cars which have active suspensions?
    You might want to check out our Speed Shop: Tuning & Modification board while you're waiting for a response here.
  • texasoiltexasoil Member Posts: 2
    While I am not totally familiar with the 2004 Q45, I am 'a guru' on the real active suspension Q45a (90-95). The new system is more properly called 'active dampening' control. If you can adjust the ride height (driver control) there must be a means of 'adjusting' the 'normal' ride height up/down by repositioning the height sensors. Look in the FSM and study the system. I can provide general background and theory, but not specifics (yet) on you car. Gotta look it up.
  • texasoiltexasoil Member Posts: 2
    I just read your post. I supply recharged active suspension accumulaotrs for your car--several hundred in service. Looks on NICO bulletin boads and search 'TexasOil' posts. Simply swappin gout (exchange basis only) your old flat accumulators with freshly recharged ones will restore factory new performance of this fantastic suspension system. Drop me a line at my email and I will send you several articles I've developed and some helpful hints, etc.
  • blmblm Member Posts: 4
    I JUST FIXED MY 94 Q45 BY REPLACING THE MAF(MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR) THE ONLY INDICATION I HAD WAS TO TAP IT WITH A SCREW DRIVER AFTER IT WAS WARMED UP. DEALER WANTED $550 WRECKING YARD $300, GOT ONE ON EBAY FOR $80. VERY HAPPY WITH THE CAR.

BILL
  • twm01twm01 Member Posts: 12
    I am looking to buy a 2003 Q45 with the premium package... my q's:

1. Is there any way to tell if the car has the premium package using the VIN number only? I know to look for the b-pillar vents, or the rear seat audio/a-c controls, but wondering if the VIN would do it, or is there another quick and easy way?

2. What items should I look for when buying used? What came with the car when it was new? 2 keys, owner's manual, first aid kit, floormats, etc. If someone could give me a list, that would be great.

Thanks in advance!
  • dionne400dionne400 Member Posts: 4
    I am thinking of buying a 1997 Q45. It has 210,000 miles on it (including 62,000 in one year b/c of highway traveling for work). $4750 is the asking price. The owner is the only owner. I have also looked up the mechanical history from the dealership. The car has had all regular work done i.e. 40,000 tune-up, 80,000 tune-up, oil changes, etc. The owner babies his car, and is a friend of ours. Is it worth the price with the high mileage? How long can I expect the car to last?
  • mrsintellectbmrsintellectb Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of purchasing a 1993 Q45. It has a little over 150,000 miles on it. The price is $1600. I am purchasing the vehicle from a gentleman who is an owner of a car lot. I am not sure of the upkeep or the amount of previous owners. I am purchasing this car from a friend of a friend who happens to own a car lot. What things should I look for or ask the gentleman selling me the Q45?
  • watcher17watcher17 Member Posts: 2
    When is the current Q Series scheduled for an update / remake? Is it for the 2007 model year? Are there any spy shots or renderings floating around?
    To anyone who is buying a used Q, be sure to check with a dealer regarding to the actual service history of the car not from some partial paperwork from the owner. In addition, it is highly advisable to have that vehicle inspected by a certified mechanic or Infiniti dealer. Q is a reliable car but also very expensive when it comes to servicing.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=127509

Here's a link that helps choosing an an older Q.

1997 Q45 with 210k: You should pass on that deal. $4750 is a bit hi on this car with poor resale value. I would consider it for $3500 only if you are mechanically able.

First thing to ask is "Has the timing guide been changed"? Does it have active suspension? (You don't want that)
    Be sure to get the service history and have the vehicle check out by experience mechanic.

• rcamposrcampos Member Posts: 2
    I have reade many of the inquiries about TCS and Slip indicator light on at the same time that the car will not go more than 3,000RPM and will stall under constant acceleration. This is an indication that the car is in fail safe mode. If you look in the TCS Control unit, in the truck under the LH speaker, you will see a led indicator light flashing. Count the number of flashes and that is the code number.

In my particular case it turned out to be code 19 which stands for TCS motor circuit and TCS actuator.

However, even with this much information I still have not been able to fix it. The problem I having is that when I go through the problem solving process prescribed by the manual it specifies that ther should be no conductivity between terminal 5 of the TCS Relay connector and ground. In my case there is. The prescribed solution is to repair harness between terminal 5 and Fuse link box. I have checked the wire and there is no problem between the terminal and the fuse link box. In the fuse link box a fuse joins the Read and yellow wire from the fuse connecor with a White and blue wire that goes to other locations.

Personally I do not see how conductivity can be avoided becsuase in the wiring diagram it appears as if the white and blue wire is grounded in some parts along its trayectory.

Any suggestions? :sick:
  • 98731019873101 Member Posts: 1
    I didn't notice if there was ever an answer back to the problem that this gentleman posted back in May of 05 but He had the exact same oil consumption problem with my 2002 Q45 at about 70k miles on it. It is using about 1qt per 1000 miles. I've read that it's loose rings?, any help would be great.
    Hi. Why don't you also post in our Got a Quick, Technical Question? discussion. Give all the details rather than refer to a previous post to make it easier for someone to help. Good luck.
  • yadiveryyadivery Member Posts: 2
    Good Morning
    I have an 99 infiniti Q45t and lately have been noticing a problem when the car is idled. It seems there is some loss of power sort of a feeling like the car is running out of gas. I have done a fuel cleaning, but the problem persists. Has any one experience this, if so, can you let me know what you did to resolve the situation. Thanks.
    Hi yadivery, welcome. I suggest you also post this in our Idle or Stalling Problems discussion. There are more gearheads hanging out there than here. Good luck - I hope we can help.
  • dogbadgerdogbadger Member Posts: 1
    hello all, I just perchased a used 2001 q45 with nav and the touring package. It has 87000 miles on it and is in very good condition mechanicly and cosmeticly. I paid 14k for it, that seems to be a good deal, am I correct? Also, it did not have the nav cd's, they are new around 120.00 per region, anyone have any cd's they want to sell?
    I hope you enjoy your new ride. To me, the Q45 seems to be a hidden jewel and I'm glad you found one that suits you. :)

I just need to explain that you can't use our Forums for buying or selling anything. Have you tried eBay?

And a tip for you - I don't know whether you got "a good deal" or not, but why worry about it? It's done, you've got the car, enjoy and have fun!
  • mason4mason4 Member Posts: 1
    Please tell me where to find a power steering hose?
  • my1997q45my1997q45 Member Posts: 1
    the 1997 q45 has a 14 gallon tank ai fill my whit $40.00 dollar primium gas if rum 225 milles w a full tank fwy milles a little problem if you push the car to hard you fuel will go very fast but the car is very nices and fast
  • sdg003csdg003c Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a 2002 q45 with 83000 mils on it for $18,100

I have checked the car on carfax and had a mechanic look at it and it checks out okay.

Any thoughts on what else I should be looking ta or aware of before I buy the car.

Thank you.
  • arnold14arnold14 Member Posts: 22
    How do people like the ride over rough roads on the 2003 q45?I was looking at buying one for only $20,000 with 36,000 miles.
  • eagle16eagle16 Member Posts: 2
    1996 Q45 great car approx 145 k miles. About three months ago, noticed that meleage had dropped from 21-22 mpg to 12+. No sensor lite or warning. After several cans of fuel and injector cleaner and new air filter went back up to about 16-17. What gives? About year earlier had replaced "knock" sensors which markedly improved acceleration. Shop not sure replacing front oxygen sensors will help. Anyone with this problem. HELP.
    Hi - welcome. While you are waiting to hear from Q45 folks, why don't you also post in the Got a Quick, Technical Question? discussion. There also are people there who may be able to help.
  • jonsteinjonstein Member Posts: 2
    Dear Sir:

I am a new member and by now you probably solved this issue with your Air Bag warning light.

I had the same problem with my '92 Last Summer and discovered a reset feature built into the car. I found it in my Service Manual that was issued with the car. It involves the driver's door plunger switch (dome light switch etc.) The key is turned on and the switch depressed several times to reset the warning light.

If you still have this issue, email back and I can give you the details.

Also, the brake pads have a wear switch built into them and this requires replacement with the pads but is not always supplied with the pad sets.

I hope this helps if not too late.

JStein1321
  • jonsteinjonstein Member Posts: 2
    Dear Eagle:

Have you resolved your MPG issue ? I can squeeze about 15 mpg out of mine in Suburban driving and 22 on the Expressway but many times I can only muster 12 mpg in city driving.

jonstein
  • mcmahanmcmahan Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 96 Q45t and have two problems. Noisy fuel pump (loud humming) and unstable cornering (very bouncy). The car has 120k on it and wouldn't expect struts to be worn out. Anybody out there have similar problems?
  • qhduongqhduong Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 Q45 and the gas cap indicates "Premium Gas Only". Did anyone try to use regular gas instead? Are there any negative impact or consequences? Thanks.
  • qhduongqhduong Member Posts: 2
    A loud humming noise in the back of the car, by the rear seats, usually means your fuel pump is about gone. I had to replace my fuel pump at ~135K miles.
  • knowspinzoneknowspinzone Member Posts: 91
    I have a 1995 Q45a and I always use regular. It probably reduces performance, but I don't need to go 0 to 60 two tenths of a second faster. I have compared mileage occasionally by using several tanks of premium. At best I see no more than an additional 1 mile per gallon, certainly not offsetting the extra 20+ cents per gallon. As for any long term effects, I will turn 130,000 miles this week and the engine has run flawlessly. I'd like to get a new Q or M45, but this car runs so well and looks so good I just can't justify doing it at this time! :D
  • metalstampermetalstamper Member Posts: 3
  • metalstampermetalstamper Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for a repair manual dose any one out there have one to sell or where i can find one.
This discussion has been closed.