Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti Q45

Comments

• metalstampermetalstamper Member Posts: 3
    my problem is when i turn off ignition my car battery gos dead after 14-16- hours i have bought a new 89.00 dollar battery .
    Has any one have any problems like this and what is the solution???.
  • bzbzbzbz Member Posts: 2
    I replaced the front and rear brake pads and rotors on my 2002 Q45 and when I got finished the ABS, Slip and VDC warning lights were on. I must have accidently turned the toothed wheel rotors and I am seeking some info on how to reset the wheel rotation sensors on the front wheels, possibly if anyone with a service manual would know the position the rotors (Possible location for front wheel lug posts with yellow makings) need to be placed in so the front wheels are in sequence and possibly how to reset the ABS, Slip and VDC lights once the toothed rotors are in place.
  • knowspinzoneknowspinzone Member Posts: 91
    When you shut off the engine, lift the hood and listen for a humming sound coming from a unit (I believe its part of the ABS system) in the upper left corner of the engine compartment. I've had this unit "stick" both on my car and my wife's '95 J30t. It happens only rarely and amazingly all I had to do was tap it with a hammer to stop the humming. A clue that this is the problem is that your ABS and Traction warning lights are on.

If this isn't it, you need to look for some other battery drain such as a trunk light remaining on.
    As a Q45 owner ('95 Q45a) I'm feeling like the Maytag Repairman. Nobody posting here, and August sales of Q45's were 18. As in EIGHTEEN!!! That's not even close to 1 per state.

When you figure probably 6 or 7 each were sold in TX, FL and CA, no one else in the rest of the country even bought one. Yikes!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Wow - that's miniscule, obviously. I don't ever see any advertising for Q45s, nationally or locally.

Do you think the M45 is siphoning buyers who might otherwise be interested in the Q45? Or is the biggest issue the advertising. I don't ever see Infiniti advertising anything these days, I don't think.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    18 sold in August???

That is sad. The Q seems like a decent car -- roomy and full of techno gadgets available in all other cars in this class.

I see Infiniti M ads all over the place.

You have to wonder though, with Q sales that low why do they bother making them? Or at least, why not support their supposed "flagship".
    I think the M45 may well be siphoning off sales. I am seriously considering buying one next year.

I haven't seen any advertising for it either. Maybe its because they are planning a redesign for 2008.

Here is a link to the sales info if you're interested -

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/09/01/020574.html
  • elwessoelwesso Member Posts: 42
    Most of the time when this is the case, it is the relay that is at fault, but sometimes the ABS acuator can do this... Most of the times it happens on the 90-93 Q45s, does not seem to be as common on later Qs.
  • nsurgnsurg Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to do the same thing you did, changing rotors and brake pads front and rear.
    I'm afraid I can't answer your question about the lights, but was wondering if you could perhaps give me some advice on how to do the pads and rotors?
    I have not done this before and was looking for some tips if you have them available.
    Thanks for any help you might offer!
  • budsq45budsq45 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1991 Q45 V-8, that had an occassional dead miss usually on hot restart, It would clear up in a mile or two. Suddenly, it is there steady. Mechanic says spark plug well was wet with oil. He only pulled one plug and said ALL coil packs would need to be replaced (primarily needed the rubber spark plug boots, due to being oil soaked.). $2000 estimate. The boots looked like could be cleaned, like they do not soak the oil. There were no cracks, was still flexible. The coil packs are $90 each = $720 in coil packs, on top of 8 hrs labor. He did not have the equip to test WHICH cylinder was missfiring. I told them to put the plugs in, to let me know how many plug wells actually had oil, so as not to be replacing parts unecessarily. I was reluctant to have them do too much since they did not have equip to isolate the dead cylinder in the first place.

NOW: All new plugs, ($550 minor tuneup) and still have dead miss.
    QUESTION: do these coil pack / rubber boot assemblies actually absorb oil, causing the plug to short? It seems to me they are designed to REPEL oil?

Prior to this, this car was always dealer serviced (in another state)...

Thanks
    You probably have a bad injector....

You can test the injectors for resistance and determine if theyre bad. Coil packs RARELY FAIL on the Q..

http://www.q45.org/ohminjectors.html

read that see what you can come up with. IF you like, print it out and give it to your "mechanic" and have them do that...

Unfortunate how people think the dealers always know everything about the car.
  • staleystaley Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Q45. ON my way back from a trip, the fan started making a loud whooshing noise. When I gun it, I get a sound like a belt slipping. I noticed the fan blade is cracking between the blades so I ordered that. My question is should the fan spin freely on the fan clutch because right now it is difficult to spin the fan by hand. I am thinking I may need a new fan clutch. The car is running cool and fine so I don't think the water pump is going bad. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
  • budsq45budsq45 Member Posts: 2
    thank you VERY much for the tip and the link... the miss disappeared by itself... been ok for 100 miles.... must have been the injector, as oil in crankcase has gas odor.... could the injector have been clogged? or was it electrically inop?
    the belt slipping is probably because the fan clutch is stuck... Ive seen it a few times, but not terribly common....
  • waliswalis Member Posts: 35
    when tapped, what's to look for? I need to find out if mine is bad as well.
    Thanks!
  • johi86rjohi86r Member Posts: 1
    can anyone help me? i need to find a fuel pump control unit for a 1993 q45. the dealer is charging me over 600 dollars. i saw it somewhere for 100 but by the time i came up with the money it had been sold. any help will be greatly apprciated. thank you.
    hello, did you ever solve the bouncy suspension problem? If so, what did you have to do? Thanks!
    Hello all...does anyone know what the problem might be on my Q...it misfires on take offs and it's very slow taking off. However, when on the highway, it moves well. I've replaced all 8 plugs with some NGKs. I also cleaned the airflow meter as suggested in one of the posts here but to no avail. I've dumped injector cleaners in the gas tank twice within the last month. I only use premium gas. WHat else should I do? PLEASE HELP!
    Hi...is there a place on Qs to check fuel pressure?
  • gode45gode45 Member Posts: 1
    hi send me the info on the stiff ride fix thanks leefordogs@yahoo.com
    Hello all,
    I managed to convince myself to embark in doing my chain guides myself. I've done the driver side guides but I'm having trouble with the passenger side. I removed the old tension guide but having serious difficulty installing the new one. I just can't get it in there. Is there any trick in getting it into place? Also, I have a hard time getting the driver side slack side guide in once I removed the tensioner...the chain was very tight. I eventually got it in by removing the water pump. My concern is not to repeat the same for the passenger side slack guide. What are the tricks in getting these guides in?
    Please help!
    I need to know how to get the passenger side guides in. How should I go about doing it?
    Thanks everyone!
    Hello,
    is it okay to use coil packs from a 1996 Q45t on a 1992 Q45? I noticed that the coil pack plugs won't fit exactly but with some trimming on the edges on the coil packs itself, it fit. Is there anything I should be concerned about? I haven't put them in, I just tried one. Please advise before I install them all.
    Thanks!
  • vonchi_mvonchi_m Member Posts: 3
    I'm interested in purchasing '02 Q45 with 35k miles (for $19k), but my main concern to the maintenance costs for this type of car.
    For example, I was searching for shock absorbers for this model, and I didn't find anyone on the web who sold them. What would happen if I needed to change them? I was thinking that this could also apply to many other parts. And I live on a small island and I rarely see this model car, so if I can't find a part on the web, it'll be even more difficult finding it here.
    My main concern is maintenance. WIll I be able to afford it? I'm comparing this to the cost of a '98 Lexus ES300 (my current car).

Thanks for any help.
  • seattlejpmseattlejpm Member Posts: 7
    2 weeks ago I traded in my '94 Q for a 2002 (the first year of the most recent generation). What a difference! Improvements in horsepower, handling, interior amenities and appearance, even the seats are much more comfortable. The traction control was shot on my '94 (for the second time!) and I had to push to get even $1,500 for it. I had thought I would get more than 144,000 miles on it, but with other problems looming, decided now was the time to move on. The '02 has 55k miles on it, but is very clean and checked out very well from my mechanic. I thought $21,000 was a great value for such a high quality car. As most of you know, the Q has always had a poor history in depreciation, and that makes used Q's a steal, IMHO...
    My independent mechanic (Japanese cars only) says that Lexus is the cream of the crop in terms of reliability. For example, they use less outside suppliers that other car co's. and accept lower failure rates on components. I won't buy a Lexus, because I've never driven one whose performance I liked, but that's just me.
    So my guess is you won't get quite the reliability from the Q, but you get a lot more of a "driver's car". If the '02 is in good shape that's a fantastic price. (I thought my deal was good, but yours is outstanding.) Since Infiniti's have been doing well in recent years (esp. the G and now the M) I would imagine that parts will continue to be available without a problem
    Thanks for the post.
    Where do you buy your parts for your Infiniti? I searched in google, yahoo, and even ebay and I didn't find anyone selling shocks for the 2002 q45. My main concern is that when/if something breaks, I won't find the part. Is there a Nissan equivalent for the q45 (ie. ES300 to Camry)?
    Is this a high maintenance car? For example, if I were to find a BMW 7-series (or a high-end MB) for a great price I wouldn't buy it because I'll go bankrupt maintaining it. Is this the case with the Q45?

Thanks again.
    My independent mechanic has no trouble getting parts...The Infiniti dealers can provide them without a problem. As to a Nissan equivalent, the top of their line is the Maxima. I don't really know, but my guess is they don't share a lot of parts. Again, I don't believe Infiniti will stop providing parts. Although they have stopped making the Q, the word is that they will redesign it and bring it back in about a year.
    I don't consider it a high maintainance car. If I did I wouldn't have bought a second one! I suspect it's in-between the Lexus and BMW in terms of reliabilility and cost of ownership.
    Where on the Internet can I purchase parts (i.e. suspension, mechanical) for a 2002 Q45? I don't want to buy directly from the Infiniti dealer because they're way too expensive.
    I just want to buy them and take the car to an independent mechanic.

Thanks.
  • maymanjmaymanj Member Posts: 10
    I have posted on this site many times before,e.g., /coil on plug- Air intake idle,etc.
    I never thought I would ever have a collision with my 97'Q45,but my wife did. She was hit dead center by a 03 Ford pickup truck. He smashed her grill,left side fender and hood ($4500 damage). The real message here is that there was no injury and how well the Q45 survived the crash!Just like a Tank. I hope they still build them like that.
    JERRY
  • egrubbegrubb Member Posts: 1
    I love my Q but it is very sad. I just got it back from my mechanic and the fuel injectors are shot.
    Is this a normal? I only have 93,000 on it. I replaced the transmission at 80,000. My love is costing me dearly.
    My sister bought the exact car but racked up the miles quickly. Same thing happened to hers, just earlier.
    Does anyone know if there were any recalls?
    Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    egrubb
    What does the mechanic mean "the fuel injectors are shot"? What does "shot" mean? I would get a second opinion. It sounds like bogus surgery to me.

The transmission will have no problem at 80,000 miles unless it was abused or not properly maintained.
  • maxnixmaxnix Member Posts: 3
    Only the 2000 ae and the 2001 FGY33 and the real, but somewhat garish to me, real maple trim.
  • maxnixmaxnix Member Posts: 3
    "The transmission will have no problem at 80,000 miles unless it was abused or not properly maintained."

No mechanical exchange of ATF along with filter replacement and no auxiliary ATF cooler would qualify as abuse.
  • solitariosolitario Member Posts: 1
    My '96 Q45 with 122K miles started bucking intermittently while cruising down the highway and would idle rough. After the $100 diagnosis fee, the dealer said that the knock sensor and air sensors need to be replaced. He also noted that the rack-and-pinion is leaking and needs replacing. Total price $3K. Wow! Could a good mechanic do these 3 jobs or are these just for the dealers' experts? The engine light just turned on also. Or should I just buy a new car?
    Dealer repair prices are insanely expensive. If you know of, or can find, a good mechanic, he could do the job for about a third. Of course, that's presuming that the dealer isn't pulling the wool over your eyes in the first place. What you describe sounds very much like a clogged fuel filter. Do you see black soot coming out of the exhaust when you feel the rough operation?
    Just to let everyone know, I dont look at this thread, only the other one.
    You can track it and, if you want, get an email when someone posts.
  • mfajardomfajardo Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 Infiniti Q45 and would like to know if there is anyway to turn off the rearview camera (when the car is put in reverse) on a temporary basis. If some one can help it will be greatley appreciated
    thanks
    Milt
    Milt, post this question on the other thread so Elwesso sees it.
  • mfajardomfajardo Member Posts: 4
    how do i get to the other thread?
  • dapark1dapark1 Member Posts: 4
    Did you ever get this phone thing resolved? 6 years since your post, I just bought a 2003 Q45. I love it, but would love to have an integrated phone. The manual makes a slight reference to one (programming Voice Activation), but that's it. The dealer doesn't now what I'm talking about, and my current phone provider (Nextel) directed me to the dealer.
    This does not look promising. Any help would be appreciated.
  • padudleypadudley Member Posts: 4
    I want to change the hood on my 1993 Q45 to the hood from a 1994. I've noticed that the front bumpers are a bit different but I was wondering what else might be different. So far I know that I need a new front bumper and the new hood. Can someone tell me what other things I might need to complete this conversion.
  • padudleypadudley Member Posts: 4
    I am wanting to put an outside loudspeaker on my car, but cannot figure out how to install an on/off switch to be able to toggle the speaker on and off. Can anyone walk me through this process step by step!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!
  • 96qowner96qowner Member Posts: 10
    I want to change the hood on my 1993 Q45 to the hood from a 1994. I've noticed that the front bumpers are a bit different but I was wondering what else might be different. So far I know that I need a new front bumper and the new hood. Can someone tell me what other things I might need to complete this conversion.

Not easy at all, sorry. Need fenders, too, and then the side trim won't match.

92 Q45 Front Bumper and hood question
  • cb256cb256 Member Posts: 1
    This is a very late reply and I don't know if you have solved your problem, but if not.
    Ebay would probably be your best source for finding the CD cartridge. I bought a brand new Clarion 6 disc CD player for my car last year and in searching I saw plenty of Sony 10 disc players. They are usually used and I would buy a whole unit just to get the cartridge. They usually sell pretty cheap.
  • cmsberettacmsberetta Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I just learned about this site and just joined. I have a 1991 Infifniti Q45. The car has ran great up until this last week...it will not turn over. Acts like it wants to but nothing...battery is fine and so are the fuses. Anyone have an awnser for me...A woman here...lol
    Hi, welcome to CarSpace! Feel free to also post your question in the generic No Start Problems discussion. There are some tech savvy folks hanging out there who may not see your question here.

Good luck - hope we can help.
  • dyess5dyess5 Member Posts: 13
    Check all your battery cables. Make sure they arre corrosion free. (both ends). Make sure they are tight and making good contact. Next would be the starter Hope this helps. :sick:
    Let's discuss the most recent generation here: Infiniti Q45 2002-2006. I moved some recent posts there.
  • greenq45agreenq45a Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE A 91 Q45A AND NEED PARTS DO ANYONE KNOW OF ANY SITES TO SHOP ON?
This discussion has been closed.