Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S80

Comments

• rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Hmmm - maybe Warranty Gold reads this forum - nah!

OK, I just got a call from Warranty Gold and they've spoken to the claims administration company and the dealership and they've insured that the software downloads are covered. It looks like my out of pocket costs are going to be nada!

-rollie
  • mmullenmmullen Member Posts: 17
    Rollie, good job! It looks like all it took was a little diplomacy and persistence. Still, you shouldn't have to WORK to get what you already paid for.

How many miles are on your car now? I'm curious how they fixed the engine smoke on hard acceleration and which oil seals needed replacing to fix the oil leak.

Mike
    2000 S80 T-6
    Mike, I agree - I shouldn't have to work at it particularly when the item isn't spelled out in exclusions.

My T6 is just a few hundred miles shy of 60,000. I'm not sure how or what exactly was fixed since I'm not getting my car today afterall. The dealership called to tell me that the tech who was working on the car got something in his eyes from an open hose / nozzle and had to go to the hospital for an eye flush. I just got back from the dealership with a loaner. I was told I should expect a call from the dealership on Tuesday to get my T6 back. I'll try to remember to post a reply on the repairs then.

Thanks.

-rollie
  • doctordickdoctordick Member Posts: 36
    Anybody hear any rumors as to when or if Volvo/Ford will offer 4 wheel drive on the S80??

My '99 T6 has over 60K now and I can't help thinking about the next one.

Thanks for any help! And happy 2003 to you all! You all give us/each other lots of help and support! rld.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, they *used* to read the applicable discussions on the Finance, Warranty & Insurance board. I don't know whether they still do, but you might consider posting your experience over there as well. That way more folks than just the S80 audience here will read about it.
  • rghesselrghessel Member Posts: 122
    Does anyone have the Navigation system in their S80? I currently have a Lexus and I have found the Navigation system invaluable (primarily to assuage my gadget-fetish...). I'm considering a S60 or S80 when my lease is up and am wondering how user-friendly/functional the Volvo Nav system is. (Pretty cool how it rises out of the dash!)

I've read a review of car-based Nav systems, and Lexus was the winner by a long shot (largely cuz theirs is touch-screen based). BMW and MB were dead last, with Acura and Infiniti in the middle. (Volvo was not part of the comparison).

Appreciate your thoughts.

(PS Please spare me the "Navigation systems are a waste of money -- get a map" discussion. I KNOW they are a waste of money, but that's not my question...)
  • larryp3larryp3 Member Posts: 20
    I have the Nav system (DVD version) in my 2002 S80. I did not know there was a manual for it and was able to use it fully despite this. It takes a while to learn how to get to the function you want, i.e. the menu threading, but it usually performs effortlessly and accurately.

A few shortcomings however; The supplied USA maps are not complete and in rural areas you will find roads (addresses) missing. When navigating thru these areas time estimates are off. Even though it knows the main roads, it estimates very slow travel speeds for them, so if you are trying to find the fastest route, unless you are on an interstate hiway, it may ignore some of the better roads in these areas and take you a long way around.

Also, some built-up areas remain unmapped so check on Navigation Technologies' website to see if the city/town you need is covered.http://www.navtech.com/index.jsp

I also wish it would learn a short-cut, once traveled over, but there seems to be no learning function built in.

There are some minor errors in the maps, usually at intersections.

My screen is too dark until the unit warms up, but after that the automatic brightness control works fine.

Overall it is a decent performer and the annual updates($$$) should hopefully bring the expected improvements.
  • rghesselrghessel Member Posts: 122
    Thanks for your thoughts about the Nav system. For what it's worth, my Lexus system occasionally misses addresses and can't memorize specific alternate/shortcut routes.

Appreciate your thoughts (without the usual tirade about the waste of money...I love my Nav system and wont consider another car without it...)
  • pollard2pollard2 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 s80 t-6 with 36000. No major issues to date. However, I have noticed that when I am driving a very high speeds (90+), the car does not continue to accelerate smoothly. Rather it I feel a surge of speed, then another surge. I does not lose power or slow down, but rather lunges forward. Any thoughts or ideas why?
    Thanks
  • eitan1eitan1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 99 2.9 S80.I 'm not particularly happy with ride over bumps. A 'hard' impact and a 'soft' rebound. Suspension was apparently improved in '01 & '02 models. Anyone know what was does & what I can do to improve ride? I got a quote for Koni adjustable shocks ($520 for set of 4) that claim it will improve dampening, ride & handling. Not sure what the benefit will be.
  • bucky1bucky1 Member Posts: 20
    I have a 1999 S80 2.9 bought new in October 1998 with 44,500 miles on it. It is out of warranty. While I love this car (my 4th Volvo) it has been a "lemon" since day 1. At 28,000 Volvo replaced the transmission. A third transmission is being installed as I write this, and Volvo will not do anything because the car is out of warranty. The dealer won't even let me use a loaner car while mine is being fixed. I am pretty burned out on Volvo, and my dealer.

However, the sales manager called me the other day and said that he had talked to Volvo, and that Volvo would give me a $5,000 voucher good toward the purchase or lease of a new 2003 S80. Of course, the dealer is only offering me $15,000 for my car with brand new Bridgestone Potenza 940 tires and in excellent condition. They tell me that because my car is a 1999 it has little value. They also say that the new S80's have no reliability problems. Consumers Reports does not seem to agree with that statement. But I would get a new car with a new warranty if I take them up on this "deal".

I'm not sure that I want to tie myself into a 4-year lease on another Volvo given my past experiences, but the $5,000 offer has to be considered.

Here are my questions to those who have 2001-2003 S80 2.9 vehicles. Have you had any problems like those in the 1999-2000 model years? Does anyone know when the S80 is scheduled for restyling? I don't want to end up driving a new car for 4 years at the end of its current design.

Thanks for any input!
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    According to JD Power the 2002 S80 had the fewest initial quality defects of any new Volvo.
    Volvo placed 5th in the total survey, 1 point ahead of Honda.
    Volvo has made alot od under the skin changes on the S80.
    The new car is quicker,looks better and has better features than the 99 version.
    The S80 will get new front bumpers and rear view mirrors in 2004, as well as a slightly different instrument cluster.
    A full redesign isn't scheduled for at least 3 more years.
    Also, ask about free scheduled maintenance since you currently own an S80.
  • hightoptennyrxhightoptennyrx Member Posts: 23
    If I were you, I'd take their $5,000 and apply it towards their current lease special on a new one.

The 2002 and 2003s are way better than the 99s. You'll likely be happy with it, and it'll be under warranty.

Then, buy a Lexus or Honda in 2007!
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    All manufacturers have lemons and Volvo is no exception...but there was laos a reason why I got my S60 T5 a year after introduction so they can iron out the bugs. At this stage, The S80 has been refined countless times and has now surpassed ALL European marques in initial quality and yes, even Honda.
  • hollebeekhollebeek Member Posts: 2
    I have never owned a Volvo before but am looking at a 99 S80 T-6. It seems to have every option but has 96,000 miles. The dealer is asking 14,900 but I'm sure will take less. Is volvo's reuputation for long mileage cars true or should I stay as far away as possible.
  • 2000s802000s80 Member Posts: 2
    I am nearing the end of the 3 year lease on my 2000 S80. To date, it has been a very reliable car and I am think about buying it at lease termination. My only concerns is that it goes through light bulbs (specifically front headlights). In two and half years, I must have gone through 6 or 8 bulbs. Yeah, I've heard the DRL line ... however, never had that occur in my other DRL equipped cars.

Question: should I be concerned with the electrical system of the car and NOT purchase an otherwise reliable car? Or do the light bulbs have that low of a lifespan. I have about 30,000 miles on the car.
    If you've been getting these replaced by the dealer (they're replaced free for a portion of your warranty) I would change dealers quickly. If you've been replacing the bulbs yourself you need to tell your dealer because there is a free fix that involves a new wiring harness for the headlights. It's a quick repair and seems to be quite effective as I've not seen many complaints about headlights since this fix came out a couple of years ago.

Thanks.

-rollie
  • dmarcus48dmarcus48 Member Posts: 139
    My understanding is that 99 was a horrible year for the s80, many problems. Everything I've read says stay away from 1999 s80's. After 1999 they're fine. Plus 15000 on a car with 96000 mile seems like alot.

Dave
  • tennbergtennberg Member Posts: 45
    Hi everyone,

I am the "proud" owner of a 2000 S80 2.9, and am in the 33rd month of a 39 month lease. My lease ends in mid-August 2003, and am counting the days until I can turn the car in.

Recently (within the past 2 weeks), the power steering on the car has been making a LOT of groaning and wheezing noises. This problem occurs randomly, but always starts when I first start up my car in the morning and usually lasts until I turn off the ignition or park it for the night. I am wanting to blame the cold weather for this (I live in Boston, and it seems the average high temp. for the past month has been 15 degrees). However, I am starting to think it is more of a defect or suddenly-occuring problem. I am taking my car in on the 27th to get it fixed.

In addition, the driver's door lock has taken on a life of its own. It won't unlock itself automatically. I have to either use the key to open it or yank it open with my hand. I can no longer use the remote to arm or disarm the alarm; it has to be done by using the key in the door lock. This problem will also be looked at on the 27th. This has also been the latest in a series of door lock problems I've had. Each time I've taken it in to the dealer, they always say nothing is wrong. Hopefully, this current problem won't suddenly fix itself before I take it in.

Anyway, with all the problems I've had with this car - power steering, door locks, door seals disintegrating, car surging or slipping out of gear, etc. - I am glad I have less than 6 months with this car. Hopefully nothing major will occur before then. I am also hesitant to lease/buy another Volvo, thinking the problems I've had with the S80 will happen with the new car.

Mike
  • mrjaws999mrjaws999 Member Posts: 1
    I have the NAV system on my '01 S80. It was CD-based that year. As far as I know, virtually all manufacturers' NAV systems use Navtech's database (on the CD or DVD you get) and software. So the performance is pretty similar (though a DVD will cover a much larger area - more data). As with all systems, they're not perfect in terms of road selection, but they'll get you there.

A big plus for the Volvo is the placement of the NAV. It's near the windshield, where you can glance at it without taking your eye off the road. I get tired of the audio, so I just turn it off and use the visuals. The screen could be a little bigger, but it's okay. I chose Volvo over Lexus GS (in '01) due to 1) NAV screen placement, 2) Lexus forced other controls (radio, AC) to the NAV screen, which seemed awkward, 3) S80 more spacious and 4) no radio controls on Lexus steering wheel (unless you sprang for the GS430).
    All,

Does anyone have a K&N air filter installed? I have a 2003 s80 2.9 and was wondering if I would benefit from installing one. Not unhappy with the power of the car, but if I can get more, why not? Will it void my warantee?

Dave
  • larryp3larryp3 Member Posts: 20
    Dave,
    With any oil soaked filter you run the risk of getting oil in the mass air flow sensor, which will kill this expensive part. This has been reported as a problem on Volvo BBs. I tend to trust Volvo to supply a filter which will give the engine maximum protection. Why take a chance?
  • ohhawkohhawk Member Posts: 14
    There is a Volvo dealer in my area that still has several new 2002 S80 models. Considering they are soon to be 2 years old would you expect to get very good pricing on these models? Anyone with experience in this situation? Thoughts on specific discounts?

Thanks.
    Thanks, this makes sense, I'll take your advise.

Dave
    I was able to lease a 2003 s80 2.9 for $7700 under invoice. Volvo was running a great deal which expired 2/28. my2003 is going to be a short year, you might want to check around.

Dave
  • automan227automan227 Member Posts: 118
    I currently own a 2001 V70 T5. My son got his Learners Permit (PA) on friday, and I have realized that this car is way to fast for him to learn on, however it is the best for him to learn on as our Excursion and my Audi A8 won't work.

I went to my local volvo dealer (where I leased the car from), to discuss getting out of the lease early and getting into something may be a little slower then a T5. That day they had gotten in a 2000 S80 2.9 with 30,000 miles on it. My rep. said that she will be certifying it and if I am interested will give me first crack at it (I have been with the dealer for almost 13 years now). Here are the options:

17" wheels (the higher end T6 looking wheels, lots of spokes on them).

Homelink
    The upgrade traction control
    moonroof
    leather
    Cd changer in the trunk

she is seling it for $22,900 and is willing to go as low as $21,500.

Is this is a good deal? I will probably finance it through volvo finance just to make it easier getting out of my currently lease (which has another year left).

What do you all think?

AS
    I ran the specs through the used car link and the dealer price was something like $19700. I guess the certified car status and the warantee that they should give you are worth something, so $21500 isn't that bad. Plus if you like doing business with that dealer.....Maybe they can go a little lower, $500?, just to make you feel better.
    Dave
  • doctordick1doctordick1 Member Posts: 4
    According to my dealer an AWD S80 will be available as a 2004 model. It will have the 5 cylinder turbo engine used in the new SUV type vehicle available now. Any other rumblings about this! rld.
    Your dealer is correct. Take a look at these sites for more info:

www.swedespeed.com
    www.vvspy.com

swedespeed probably has more information but they're both good volvo site.

Dave
  • rich317rich317 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a volvo s80 2.9 with 75,ooo miles on it and 1 more lease payment left.The people at volvo finance say the buyout is 18,500. i don't know what to do .To get out of the lease i will have to pay about 6,600 and walk away with nothing.The dealer says the car is worth about 10,000.Does anybody have any suggestions as what to do? Should i keep the car and run it down to the ground ? Does anybody know what its worth ? I appreciate anybodys suggestions. Also the dealer says for 1,000 they will give me a warranty up till 100,000 miles which is approximately 1 more year.Please help. Thank you
  • nscallannscallan Member Posts: 1
    This sounds like a good deal

I just bought a 2000 2.9 S80 with 25000 miles for $21000. The prices for this car on the net and at dealers run about 25000....so it sounds good especially with the CD player in the trunk.

In comparison - mine has all the same options as the one you discussed - except the trunk CD player and since the car seems to be a reliable car with a great warranty - go for it - that price is good.
    Check the available cars on this site to compare prices...you will be happy with the dealers price

Good luck

Neal
  • automan227automan227 Member Posts: 118
    As much as I would like to get the car, the trade-in and even retail values of the car are to low for me to be able to get out of the current lease without owing money on it. The car depreciated a lot more then what was expected. Right now, current retail value is about 24k for my car, but my payoff is well over 25k so it wouldn't work.

Maybe when the lease is up i'll start looking at another used volvo...

AS
    Regarding post #1172:

Actually if your gap is between $1-$2k then I wouldn't worry. Dealers are dropping several thousand off lease pay off costs at turn in with almost no negotiation. Why take the risk of another used car when you can keep the one you have and know for a decent price?

Good luck.

-rollie
  • wchan01wchan01 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

I've just bought a used S80 T6, and drove it for couple weeks!! Loved it and luckily without any problem with the trans yet :P

I'd like to know the average price for changing transmission fluid, and can I have it change in regular shop instead of dealers? What do I need to be aware of?

Thanks!!
  • tulsahogtulsahog Member Posts: 64
    Can you get leather heated seats without having to take the package which includes the moon roof?

Looks like a ripoff if I do not want moon roof.
    No in the US, the leather seats are part of the premium package, moonroof included. The heated seats are part of the cold weather package.

Dave
  • ksween76ksween76 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2000 S80 with 62,000 miles, a couple of weeks ago. It was back at the dealer (Acura dealer) over the weekend because I had noticed a problem with the brakes and noise when i turned the car hard, like when pulling into a parking space. Well they have replaced the brake pads and put new rotors on the car. This will be the 6th set of rotors. I complained about the brakes before I took delivery of the car, and they checked them out told me that they replaced the front rotors. The day I picked up the car they seemed fine, but the next day there was a vibration throughout the car when braking at a high speed. So, the car went back and they replaced the front rotors again, and this time brake pads too. After their road test, there was still vibration, so they did the rear pads and rotors as well. I just got the call, the car is ready. As for the grinding noise, they said that Volvo has stoppers on he car, and they put new ones on, and the noise went away. What is a stopper? And do you think the noise might have been related to the brakes?
    I'm not sure what stoppers are but I do have a potentially bigger question / issue for you. Do you plan to regularly have your car serviced at the Acura dealer or are you going there merely because of a short-term warranty to make the used car good?

You may already be aware that you can't get significant service for the S80 outside of a genuine Volvo dealership (even independents can't do it from what I've seen.) The reason is that any significant service to the S80 (and newer Volvos, Mercedes, Lexi, etc.) requires a hook up to one of two specific mainframes that maintains chassis specific software configurations for each car. Just to replace common components in many instances requires a software download for the item to be recognized in the Closed Area Network.

If you still have some sort of short term Acura guaranty I would highly recommend spending a couple hundred dollars at your local Volvo dealer for a thorough read out of issues, sofware patches / upgrades, etc. that your car might need that should be covered by Acura.

Perhaps over time more independent shops will be able to afford the Volvo VADIS interface. I've heard it's a 6-figure investment so it will be prohibitive for all but a handful of shops I believe.

Good luck.

-rollie
  • jtuotijtuoti Member Posts: 12
    Looking for a S80 and would like opinions if anyone has any good dealings (or bad dealings) with a Volvo dealership in the Phoenix area. Thanks
  • knielsen3knielsen3 Member Posts: 8
    I have an '02 S80T6 with a puzzling problem.

On 3 separate occasions, when making a right hand turn only (freeway cloverleafs), the car emits a severe rumble / growl, along with a severe vibration. It has happened twice to me - the first time, I was convinced I had an instant flat. The car has the 17" Arrakis wheels , so I thought that the rim was certainly toast. I pulled to the side of the offramp, and the noise and sensation of a flat went away. I checked the tire pressures at the next station (does anyone else think these tires always look low?) and had 32 psi all around. Thereafter, it happened to me one other time, and just last night my wife described the same symptoms, again on a freeway cloverleaf. It scared the hell out of her. Any ideas?

Thanks
  • ksween76ksween76 Member Posts: 2
    I only have a 30 day warranty at the Acura dealer where I bought my used car. I was hoping to have most servicing done with an independent mechanic. I have gotten a couple of good recommendations on who to use locally. Last week I took the car to an independent mechanic who specializes in Volvos. He found that the rear main engine oil seal is starting to leak. I have made an appointment with Acura to take a look at it. I understand this is a costly repair, so I'm going to try to get Acura to take care of this before the warranty is up.
    Ah - I see.

I again would like to stress the importance of getting your car hooked up to a VADIS interface which I believe can only be done at a Volvo dealership at this point. (Ask you independent if they have the system.) It may cost you $100 or so at a Volvo dealer but believe me - any problems your Acura dealer misses through lack of ability to talk to the car (and EVERYTHING inside your car is connected through 2 data buses and about 18 computers) will be VERY costly to fix on your own dime. Due to the nature of multiplexed electronics it can take several steps (and you'll pay for each) through a repair protocol for any issues you discover after your 30-day warranty has expired.

If you have ANY doubts about the need to get your car checked with a VADIS interface please go to www.brickboard.com, www.vvspy.com, or www.swedespeed.com and ask some knowledgable owners (and be forewarned - these are places where people go when they have problems with cars --> it's not representative of the ownership experience.)

Good luck.

-rollie
    1999 S80 T6
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    Hi all, does anyone know if there is a dedicated Volvo chat site?

Thanks!!
    If you mean a Volvo forum for Volvo-specific topics try:

www.swedespeed.com
    www.vvspy.com
    www.brickboard.com

These are the big 3 of Volvo forums but their are many others out there as well.

Good luck.

-rollie
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    Thanks, Rollie. See ya there =)
  • tulsahogtulsahog Member Posts: 64
    Just bought a new '03 S80 and the dealer recommended a series T3 Automotive Preferred Care extended warranty from CNA National Warranty Corp. The cost for 7 yr 70,000 mi is $1,371 with $0 deductible. At $100 ded, cost is $1168. They also said I must buy it at purchase for this price, if bought later could double in price.

I would appreciate any comments/recommendations on 1. Advisability of ext warr for this car 2. If so, which company.

It is my wife's car and will only be driven about 9,500 mi per year. Have bought ext warr on Ford products in past and they have paid off. This is our first Volvo. So far, the car is great.
  • moondust3moondust3 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue on a 2002 S80 T-6. It changes without touching any buttons or
    hitting any rough spots on the road. Happens while traveling. What fixed it?
    Thanks,
    There's a variety of normal conditions that will cause this - none of them are a problem though.

Your radio probably has 'News', 'TP', and another button that escapes my mind. If any of these buttons have been pressed (and they will persist even after you turn the radio off until you push them again) your radio may auto tune to another station at random times. The 'News' button tells the system to scan the radiowaves for a news alert and when it finds one to tune your radio to it. The 'TP' button tells the system to scan for a traffic protocol alert (e.g., road closure or other problem in the vicinity) and tune to it when found. It's all part of these RDS radios (in addition to things like an ability to have the system search for radio stations by genre, etc.)

Unfortunately in the U.S. some stations actually have equipment compatible with these systems but don't actually use them often if at all. It's not uncommon for example to have a 'TP' alert for a specific station because they're broadcasting the appropriate code even though they're not actually discussing anything related to traffic.

Check you LCD display and see if 'News', 'TP', or the other option (weather?) is listed. If so, turn off this button if you like. I've been using these features on my T6 since 1999 and rarely has it been of use in the U.S. (except a couple of times in bumper to bumper holiday traffic as I approached major bridges on an Interstate for example.)

Good luck.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
  • jq3jq3 Member Posts: 52
    Today while on a quest to possibly replace my Miata for something with more space I ran across a '99 S80 T6 for $12995! I thought to myself that the price seemed awful low, so I decided to take a look at it. I took it for a test drive which was "rock-solid" to say the least. The exterior appearance didn't have any noticeable flaws, but one thing concerned me...95,000 on the odometer.!

That is a heckuva lotta miles for a 4 year old car! Should I be concerned? What could possibly be wrong that I did not notice? This car would be our "number 3" car which will mainly be used by my wife to travel back and forth from work. She has a Land Cruiser, but it is too big for downtown. We may use it to go out of town on occasion, but to sum it up it won't be our daily driver. Would you buy it?

The car had leather, CD, sunroof, etc. it was pretty loaded except for the Nav package. What do you think??

Thanks!

JQ3
    Get the maintenance records from the dealership. If you see several visits in the first 30-40k miles for relatively minor items then the owner(s) probably kept up on the maintenance (there were a couple of recalls for early 1999 S80s).

The earliest '99 S80s (VIN #'s less than 16,000) in particular were prone to recalls. Fortunately these problems have been solved (the O-ring fix took several tries before they settled on the right part.) As long as this particular S80 has been maintained and you take it to an independent garage (e.g., some other dealership or independent Volvo shop) to get it checked out I would go for it.

The service interval for this car is 7,500 miles. Major service is typically needed every 30k or so. Check the costs for these services at a couple of local dealers to make sure you're comfortable with it (the average maintenance costs for these cars over 5 years is a fraction of what it would cost for a much cheaper Camry or Accord according to Edmunds but you should still be aware of what you're getting into.)

Good luck.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
    1999 S80 T6
    2001 V70 T5