Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo S80

Comments

• Options
    plumber12plumber12 Member Posts: 1
    I recently changed the engine air filter on my S-80 and had great difficulty in securing the top cover of the filter box. There are 3 tabs on the right hand side of the cover which must snap into the filter housing body. Anyone try this yet. Any tips other than forget it and let the dealer do it?
  • Options
    ibc5800ibc5800 Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with my 01 T6 S80 that required the car to be in shop a few times for several weeks. Originally after I checked tire and wheel stuff like you (also have 17" Aka's) dealer suggested new transmission was required. After this installed (warranty) same rumble occurred on front right side. Round three fix was to replace front right axle and that seemed to fix all my problems. I say seemed because all this occurred in cold weather. When they finally changes axle, weather had changed...

I continue to be amazed at how poor some dealers are at fixing their cars....
  • Options
    ernkepernkep Member Posts: 1
    High Mileage S80 is okay but to avoid a surprise be aware the timing belt must be replaced at 105K miles. Dealer cost $700. My 99 S80 T6 has 89K miles runs great but the electronic gremlins are killing me.
  • Options
    oak4oak4 Member Posts: 5
    Don't buy it. I had my T6 for 6 months (99 with 18000 miles) and was in the shop 6 times. Very nice car but Volvo will not stand behind their product. I never had to pay for a repair but my warranty was up in 1 year and then it was my money. They did loan me a nice Chevy Malibu that I felt proud to drive when my $40k car was in the shop. I traded this car after the 6th time to the shop for a used certified Lexus and will never ever consider buying Volvo again. I had my Lexus over 1 year now and drove it 28,000 miles and the only problem was a window switch that was replaced. One last thing... When I was trading my T6 the Lexus dealer told me to take the car to Carmax or sell it in the paper because they did not want it.(It is an undesirable car) I lost$10k and traded it. They sent it to the auto auction.
  • Options
    mlproulx1mlproulx1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to this board. I know the AM reception has been discussed a little. I have a 2000 S80 T6.

At about 10-15k miles my AM reception was bad. I brought it in, they said they didn't really do anything but when I got it back my AM reception was as good as ever. They "...just tighted a few connections..." to the AM booster/pre-amp in the driver's side rear pillar.

At about 30k my reception started getting bad again. I realized it was correlated to road conditions - If my reception was poor and I hit a bump the reception would get better. If my reception was good and I hit a bump the reception would get bad. I brought it in and they replaced the booster/pre-amp (the thing in the driver's side rear pillar). My reception was good again.

At about 45k, same thing. This time the dealership said there was a "TSB" on this and the did the prescribed fix. My reception was good again.

At 60k, it's doing it again. I have an appointment for later this week. I hope I don't have to pay to get it fixed this time - it is no longer under warranty. More importantly, I hope they can really fix it this time.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Do I have a unique situation?
  • Options
    kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    Is it true that S80 uses GM transmission? Volvo is owned by Ford. I would expect S80 has Ford transmission, if not a Volvo transmission.
  • Options
    rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    The S80, and every other Volvo available today, was designed PRIOR to the acquisition by Ford (the XC90 wasn't finalized at that point). Volvo, like BMW, opted for a GM automatic because of GM's reputation for transmissions and the availabiity of a unit that would suit their unique needs.

The GM unit is used in S80 automatics only. The new 'R's use a Volvo developed 6-speed. Future models will probably use units from the newly formed Volvo/Getrag operation...

Thanks.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
  • Options
    derekchoyderekchoy Member Posts: 36
    I too had the AM reception problem. Frankly, I don't listen to AM so it didn't bother me much. When I got engaged with my fiancee', she started driving the S80 and complained that the AM reception is poor. I brought it to a dealership close-by and they claimed to have fixed it. My fiancee' stopped complaining too so I guess it was fixed at that point. It was at 45k miles.

Then close to 60k miles, she complained that the AM reception is poor again. This time I brought it back to a dealership that I trust and they said that the AM attenna was defective and it's a known problem. They fixed it but charged me $190 for labor+parts. Oh well, I hope it's truly fixed this time.
  • Options
    I want to install HomeLink to my 1999 S80 2.9 that didn't come with that option. I am looking for an aftermarket homelink device that fits the S80.

Does anyone know if there is such a device and where I can get it? Is it difficult to DIY the homelink?

Thanks!
  • Options
    I see. That's interesting. Thanks for the info. Are there any other major components on S80 that are made by domestic automaker?
  • Options
    Hi kiiwii. I can't think of anything else significant that is of domestic origin in the S80. There are many things non-Swedish but they are mostly German (engine management system, components of engine design, ZF steering for 2004 models, etc.)

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
  • Options
    Thanks again. We currently have a 960 with over 100,000 miles on it and thinking about getting a replacement. S80 is our first choice. 960 isn't a perfectly reliable car, but it is as safe as a tank =) We had 2 major accidents, and no one in the car had a scratch!! There are some nice incentive offered on S80 these days.
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Overall, I have been very happy with my S80-T6. But it does have chronic light bulb failures, from the headlights to the position lights in the rear. Almost all of the time, I have a warning message about a bulb out somewhere. Is this normal or do I have some kind of surge problem with the car? Dealer is unresponsive. I have learned how to change most of them myself, except the headlight, by necessity.
  • Options
    Regarding post #1203:

This was a common occurance on early S80s (mostly 99 and 2000 models but maybe some early 2001 as well?)

There's a well known FREE fix available through the dealers (they should all know the TSB for it). It calls for new wiring harnesses for the headlights and is usually done in about an hour or so. If you dealer doesn't claim to know anything about it call another one and consider using them for future repairs (or if they are too far away then try to use them at least this time to get the lightbulb issue solved.)

Good luck.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
  • Options
    I shall look into it.
  • Options
    evilpancakewomevilpancakewom Member Posts: 35
    I'm interested in buying a 1999 S80 2.9 Sedan.
    Carmax has it priced as $14,998. Is this vehicle worth purchasing? I would like a car that does not require weekly maintenance...
    From what I have heard this vehicle is unreliable. Please help me buy your opinions and facts.
  • Options
    I wouldn't call it a Toyota either. My problems have been A/C, sunroof leaking and bulbs burning out. Very nice car though.
  • Options
    esommeresommer Member Posts: 24
    I have researched a new visor w/Homelink for my 1999 S80. Dealer wants $230 for the part. I have found the same part on-line from a dealer in Texas for $180. I think the name of the Texas Dealer is Richardson Volvo. To change out the visor is a simpler process. Carefully pry the plastic trim from the headliner and remove the 2 screws that hold the visor bracket. Then unplug the wire and replace w/ new visor. Appears to be a 10 minute job. Make sure that the dealer has the correct interior code for your car. There are a few different interior color combinations. Please write if you find this Homelink visor for less than $180. Thanks!
  • Options
    I haven't priced it there but Borton Volvo is known for their discount mail parts operation (I've bought other parts like navigation system remote controls). I highly recommend you give them a call or visit their website (www.bortonvolvo.com).

Thanks.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net

rdollie@att.net
  • Options
    I have dealt with Volvo of Richardson before. It has, BY FAR, the WORST service and parts department. I have found many similar complains on the web about Volvo of Richardson. Make sure they are selling you a new part, not a used, recycled, or rebuilt part. BE CAREFUL!!
  • Options
    Thanks rollie and esommer for the information. I have a some quick follow-up questions.

Do I simply replace the visor? Is there a power cord I need to re-connect for the vanity mirror light and the homelink? And if so, is it one for homelink and one for vanity mirror? I won't mix them up? And basically the garage door signal is sent from the visor, the power-cord is just for power?

Thanks guys!
  • Options
    Talking about upgrades to my S80, I'm also interested in putting a pair of fog light onto my 2.9 which doesn't come with fog lights. Is there any DIY guide on fog light installation? Is it easy?

Thanks!
  • Options
    esommeresommer Member Posts: 24
    Kiiwii, Thanks for the heads-up concerning Volvo of Richardson. I will precede with caution!

derekchoy, You do simply replace the visor. I asked the dealer to look up the wiring in the computer and they told me it was a single connection. I would recommend removing your existing visor and bringing it with you when you go to purchase the new one. This will allow you to compare wire connections.

Thanks,
    Eric
  • Options
    Eric, thanks for the advice. I certainly will pry the visor out and check the wiring before I order a new visor with homelink!!
  • Options
    ejw5ejw5 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 01 S80 T6 with 40,000 miles and I am debating whether to keep it passed the warranty expiration at 48,000 miles. Any major problems to look out for between 48K and 75K miles.

Also dealer recommended a tranny flush at 22.5 mile service. I passed as this was not in the factory's recommendation. Dealer claims that this leads to a $1700 repair as the car ages. Has this bitten anyone???
  • Options
    larryp3larryp3 Member Posts: 20
    I heartily recommend a flush. It's a simple DIY job. and I use Amsiol or Mobil 1 synthetic. A real great investment in your car. BTW, what color is your fluid on the stick? SB clear and red and not have a burned odor.
  • Options
    to change fluids on a car. You can double your tranny life by doing so.....
  • Options
    im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    22,500 seems a bit light. I did the ATF in the '00 T6 at 30K.

Bill
    00 T6 @ Kundert getting fixed...
    04 T6 In driveway
    02 S40 <--BC #1 T6 is sick...
  • Options
    Oh, I agree, I'm just saying, it won't hurt the car to change it.....
  • Options
    Of course it wont :)
  • Options
    computerjockcomputerjock Member Posts: 1
    I find the reception from the AM Radios Sub Par.
    When I drive my wife's car which has a traditional
    antenna the reception is much better.

Also, when I go over bumps I notice the reception
    will change for the better and worse.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    I have 2 T6s at the moment.

An 00 and an 04.

The AM reception on both is crap. Don't feel singled out :)
  • Options
    brobroderick1brobroderick1 Member Posts: 1
    nvbanker May 25, 2003 2:43pm
    Regarding post #1203/1204
    I've had the same light bulb problems w/ my 2000 S80. Rollie, thanks for the tip on the free fix. I'll see if the dealer here in Montgomery is worth his weight.
    -Bro
  • Options
    Haven't had a recent bulb failure, so perhaps the fix did work....
  • Options
    tennbergtennberg Member Posts: 45
    Hi everyone,

Well, it's only a mere 2 more months before the 39 month lease on my 200 S80 is over, and I'm waiting with baited breath.

Over this past weeked, the engine overheated on 4 separate occassions, once on a major interstate. On top of that, the front suspension now sounds like two lovers going at it on a creaky bed, no matter what speed I'm going.

So, I brought the car in immediately (Monday morning) to the dealer. Turns out some parts need to be replaced in the front suspension and the auxilliary fan is completely dead. The two rear speakers on the rear deck also need to be replaced, as both are dead. Fine, I say, shouldn't take too long.

Turns out the auxilliary fan is on backorder from Volvo and the dealer said they have no idea when it will be available. Could be a day, could be a week, could be more...

So, I say to them, whatever, just give me a loaner. They say, We don't have any and they're all booked for several weeks. *groan*

So, I [non-permissible content removed] to the service manager, the service director, and anyone else I can get a hold of that this is my only way to get to work, how I've been having to bum rides off my roommate (who also works full-time), and basically how they need to treat me better. (This dealer really only treats you well if you [non-permissible content removed]...it's a bit of a shame...)

So, I get a call this morning that a car is ready and waiting for me, and I just need to pick it up.

I can hardly wait for August 17 to arrive, and I can finally be rid of this 39 month headache. I've basically decided on an A4, though part of me just wants to go with a Toyota or Honda so that I never have to visit a service shop.

Nevertheless, only a miracle (or a sweet deal on an S60 or XC90) would bring me back into the Volvo fold...
  • Options
    They NEVER have the parts, they ALWAYS have to order them from Sweden, on a slow boat, evidently. Their ONE loaner is booked forever, and if you do get it, it'll be a Station Wagon. Sounds so so so familiar. However, I'm a lot happier with my 2001 S-80 than you are, evidently. My problems have been much more minor, but my service from the dealer has been right up there with yours! Still, I love the car. There's nothing I've found just like it out there for the money.
  • Options
    prowler66prowler66 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering the S80-I know european car service is going to be more than american car service and obviously dealerships are the most expensive-how much savings can be had on service from other Non volvo mechanics? I am buying in the warranty-a 2000 S80 with 35K on it so I do have some time left to get things fixed at dealership for free but maintenance won't be. Thanks for your reply.
  • Options
    It's still high even at the independent shops, the parts and labor are more, and they need to specialize. Front headlight lenz, for example, is glass. Rocks break them. $500. On a Ford, they are lexan, $80, and rocks bounce off. So, plan on more. But it's a great car, and lovely to drive.
  • Options
    I somewhat disagree with nvbanker. For one, I tried to break a S80 headlight (my old one) with a hammer and a drill and gave up after several failed attempts. I'm sure you can break them with some sort of road debris but it would have to be pretty extreme. More to the point, the headlight assemblies aren't $500 - more like $100 from what I recall. What can cost $500 is the labor if you don't do them yourself because you have to remove part of the bumper cover and some components to replace headlight assemblies on the S80.

More to the point, Volvo service isn't as expensive as you might think. Take a look at Edmund's true cost of ownership numbers over a 5 year period and you will find that service cost for a Volvo is a fraction of what it would cost for a much cheaper Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. The main reason for this I think is due to the fact that the service intervals are much longer for European luxury cars (7,500 miles for my Volvos and I think some variants have 10,000 mile intervals but I'm not sure of that.) The major service intervals (every 30,000 miles) are pricey at around $350-$500 depending on dealership but they're actually inline again with major service cost for much cheaper cars.

Thanks.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net

'99 S80 T6
    '01 V70 T5
    '04 S60R (WHEN I CAN FIND THE ONE I WANT!)
    '04 XC90 T6 (sometime next month or so when the V70 T5 lease is up)
  • Options
    ohhawkohhawk Member Posts: 14
    2002 S80 T6 (20,000 miles):

Have only owned the car about 3 months and have noticed on two occasions while car was parked in garage that some of the lights on the car are on. This includes brake lights and front parking lights. Car was not running and had been sitting for a long time. My wife noticed it the first time and she thought only the tail lights were on. Today, several weeks since her occurence, I happened into the garage and the car lights were on (front parking and rear). I opened the door and shut and that seemed to solve the problem for now. Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks.
  • Options
    larryp3larryp3 Member Posts: 20
    Hit the yellow button on your remote and see if you get the same effect. I had to "dremel" down that button on the inside slightly to stop it from activating in my pocket.
  • Options
    ohhawkohhawk Member Posts: 14
    I can't remember if the keys might have been in my pocket or in a position to cause this at the time of these occurences but it's not impossible.

Thanks for the head's up. Hope that's all it was as it is the same light effect you'd get by pressing the yellow button as you indicated.
  • Options
    Why on earth would you deliberately try to break out a headlight lens?
  • Options
    A decent question. Send me an email and we'll talk offline.

Thanks.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
  • Options
    tennbergtennberg Member Posts: 45
    Hi everyone,

I got a set of 4 Nordfrost II snow tires a few years ago that I only used for 1 season (and only a couple months at that). They are in deep storage right now, but I was looking into selling them before my lease expires.

I called the parts department at my dealer, and they said the specs should, for a 2000 S80, 215/55R16. Does this sound correct to anyone?

Also, where is the appropriate place to post to see if anyone might want to purchase these?

Thanks...
  • Options
    tennberg - Sorry about your car problems and dealer experience and I've heard the same complain from many other S80 owners. I don't know what to say but my experience with my dealer (Lawrence Volvo of Walnut Creek, CA) has been great. I also own an Audi and a BMW and I have to say that the service I get from Lawrence for my S80 is far superior than what I get for my Audi and BMW.

Having a 1999 S80 2.9 (pretty much the first batch of S80), I've had my fair share of issues, pretty much everything you've read on this board. Frustrating as it is, Lawrence took care of it right away and in cases when parts have to be ordered, Lawrence got them within 2 days and I had a loaner while the car was in the shop.

4 years and 65k miles later, the S80 is still running very well. I wouldn't expect it to be like a new car, occasional squeaks from suspension and slight vibration from the moonroof are just things that are common to a 65k old car, IMO.

I like my S80 and I plan on keeping it for many more years to come.
  • Options
    libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    Then sign the petition at:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/vs4ds100/petition.html
    so far, there are 87 signatures. Add yours and maybe Volvo will build the car. Also join in on the Volvo S100 conversation under Future Vehicles.
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Is a waste of time for Volvo, for alot of reasons.

Volvo would have to build a RWD oriented car with much better interior materials and style than they are currently capable of.
    Also the car would be very expensive and history has shown that people will only pay so much for a Volvo. If the car is in BMW and Mercedes territory then the public will buy the German cars instead.
    Audi has an excellent car in the A8 and it has never sold more than a couple thousand units in any year in the US.
  • Options
    libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    The 1994-2003 A8 was a very uncompetitive vehicle. It was ugly IMO, cramped, underpowered, and not much more luxurious than the A6. The new A8 will steal sales from MB and BMW. Volvo NEEDS to build the S100 if it wants to be a real luxury automaker. They could make a $65K S100 as the Q45 starts around $60K and competes VERY well with the LS430, S Class, and 5 Series.
  • Options
    xebecxebec Member Posts: 3
    Got a post-May 2000 S80 2.9, OSD, 34 K miles.

My college-aged son was here today, and said a nice thing about our 2.9 no-sunroof special, relevant to this S100 discussion. He said he finally had learned to like the car, and saw the intangible value inherent in owning a top-of-the-line Volvo, compared to owning something like a price-equivalent bottom-of-the-line Mercedes Escort.

Ford is on the ropes, so lets all just hold on to what we have and hope they don't make Volvo do something stupid. If we like our cars, let's just like them. I love mine, have since I picked it up in Gothenburg and broke it in on the German autobahns. It is not a luxury car to me, just the nicest, most responsive car I have ever owned that is fun to drive in any circumstance and as a middle-class guy, I could afford.

Service in Seattle, from all 3 dealerships, has been spectacular.

Don't need no steenkin' S100.

--Xebec