Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S80

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    When the dealer has given you all he has to give on a demo, you'll come out fine if you keep the car a while. If you're going to sell it inside 3 years, you may as well get a new one.
  • edkunkeledkunkel Member Posts: 26
    My ignition turned like that for a while. Then it began to sometimes turn and not grab, so that you would have to turn the key several revolutions.

So then I had it replaced for a couple hundred bucks.

Be sure they order the ignition or lock assembly before you give them your car. They had my car for 2 weeks as they bumbled along. The assemblies are shipped in some slow, secure manner to limit access to thieves. I made the dealer pay for my 2 week rental.
    That is the one beef I have with our Volvo dealer too! It seems they stock NO parts whatsoever, and every one of them has to be ordered from Sweden, and shipped by rowboat to get here! I thought it was just our dealer. Rather disturbing to find it's not.
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    I think it must vary by dealer and region. I've had major parts ordered for my cars while living in Boston and now in Orange County, CA. It has never taken anything more than a day to get them to the dealership (and that includes a transmission I had replaced once - for no reason as it turned out but that's another story.)

Thanks.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
  • tmex12tmex12 Member Posts: 15
    Recently bought a 2000 S80 2.9 with 42k miles on it. I just took it on a long road trip (>1000miles). The moonroof rattles at high speed with any of the windows down. It also rattles whenever I hit a bump or bad stretch on the road. Anyone experiencing this problem? What can be done. I only want to approach the dealership when I have an idea of the solution.
    Can anyone recommend a dealership with an excellent service department in Northern New Jersey?
  • waustin2waustin2 Member Posts: 15
    tmex12, sounds like a mechanical problem. I have a 2000 S80 2.9, no issues with the moonroof when the windows are down. To be clear, is the moonroof open or closed when the other window(s) is down? I do notice a weird vacuum effect at high speed with the roof open and the windows down, my ears feel like I'm taking off on a commercial jet.
    Is there any way to lock the doors (2000 S80 2.9), with the motor running FROM THE OUTSIDE? It's cold in the Northeast, I'd like to warm up the car before I start my commute to work. I hit the lock button on the fob, the car locks and instantly unlocks. Thanks.
    Thanks Waustin. Same rattling sound with or without the Moonroof open. I already called up the dealership for an appointment to have it checked out.

I have no ideal how to lock the doors with the engine running. I guess if you have an duplicate remote lock that might help.
  • eitan56eitan56 Member Posts: 25
    Go to Paul's Volvo in Hawthorne. Great service dept. Stay away from the one in Ramsey. Real bad news.
    In case anyone cares....If I use my valet (or spare) key to start the car, then exit the vehicle I can use my other key to lock the door manually (key in the lock). The remote will not lock the doors from the outside with the motor running. It was brutal yesterday by our standards, 9 degrees, I HAD to figure this out.
  • gibogibo Member Posts: 22
    Anyone heard anything about when Volvo will be redoing the S80?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    2006 or 2007 at this point.
    My 2000 Volvo S80 takes forever to accelerate on a slight slope. Maddening to see a FORD Taurus, old Honda Accord zipping past you.

I have tried a lower gear (its automatic), all I hear is the transmission screaming, though acceleration is only marginally better.

Is the transmission on its way out. Anybody experiencing this???
    Do you have a regular automatic or Geartronic transmission? Are you sure you aren't in Winter mode? Do you see a 'W' displayed in the information center when this happens? Next time this happens try cycling the 'W' button next the gear shift selector if you have one.

If you aren't in 'W' or accidently in 1st gear in Geartronic mode then you may well have a transmission problem. How many miles does your car have?

Thanks.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
    Its regular automatic. I have already toggled the Winter/Wet "W" switch, with the same effect. I even tried using "3", the rpm just goes wild.

The mileage on the car is 43,000.

Thanks
    tmex12
  • rreddy1rreddy1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Bought S80T6 2000 last may 30K miles and now 48K had a great time with it. Did have a few problems fixed with front suspension, had my runs of blown bulbs, replaced under warranty and now after hearing all about the wiring harness from all you good people, i brought that up with the good delaer and he will be doing the job under warranty.

My question is i do have a extended precert warrant upto 100k/6 years. my original warrant will be ending 1/28. I would like to know are there any particular things i need to get checked, repaired or replaced under original warranty.

Thanks a lot,

Rob
    1. My dealership is changing the rattling moonroof without charge under warranty.

2. They claim that the transmission is fine, because they ran a check with the computer. I intend to drive it and observe for a couple of days, if I think the problem persist I'll return it and insist they take a closer look. The car is pretty "lazy" when going uphill.
    Has it lost power over the past, or is it always been this way going uphill? Because the 2.9 is not a powerhouse engine, you know.
    nvbanker.........I have only had the car for 3wks and I have piled up 3000miles on it. It just doesnt have enough power going uphill, even if I depress the accelerator. I tried a lower gear "3", the r.p.m just goes thru' the roof, with a slight improvement in performance.
    Its nasty when,a ford focus, honda civic zoom past you :-)
    I'm betting it's not the transmission. Either the engine isn't performing up to specs, or it is, and this is what you get. If it were mine, I would find an equivalent car, rent it if I had to, and drive it the same way in the same place, and compare the two. If it is in fact slower than all the rest, have the computer downloaded for error codes. If none come up, this may be why the car was sold. Perhaps the prior owner never could get it to run right either. It is a used car - and that happens, even today.

I'm sorry for your frustration. The T-6 is a hot rod, that turbo makes all the difference, but I've not driven the 2.9L, so I'm unfamiliar with how powerful they are. I wish you the best. You may need to sell the car yourself and get the Turbo version, if it's too slow for you.
    They are still running checks. I am picking it up Monday. Find the same incline I experience this problem. Will keep you posted.

Thanks.....
    While the 2.9 isn't a rocket, if you stomp on it often enough it moves quite nicely (remember these cars have adaptive transmissions so if you drive mildly a lot and then want a burst of power you will be disappointed - drive it like you stole for 10 miles or so accelerating hard from lights and it should get better.)

Either way, even with economical driving you shouldn't have a problem with hills. As a test, before you hit the hill get to the ideal speed and set the speed control. Let us know what happens on the hill (it shouldn't slow down more than 1-2 mph.)

Good luck.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
    Glad to hear the moonroof will be addressed under warranty.

As for the acceleration, the 2.9 is what it is, which is a decent every-day driving car. It will not blow anyone away at a stoplight. What did you drive prior to the 2.9L S80? Before I bought mine I had to level set my expectations, coming from a 3.8L V6 Bonneville. If you drove something with alittle more spirit previously you may need the T6, as suggested by nvbanker.

If rollie's suggestions do not work you may have a problem. Good luck.
    I just really doubt it's the transmission. It's either an engine issue, or it's normal.
  • newb911newb911 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 1999 S80. The cars is in excellent shape. However, the radio will not pick up any AM radio stations. Is it a problem with the stereo itself or is it special to my car?

Thanks!
    That is a well known problem w/ the 99 S80.
    The dealer has an upgrade for the radio to correct reception issues.
    If you bought the car from a Volvo dealer it should have been done.
    Picked up the car from dealership late last week and took it on a road trip. Report. Everything is fine. The rattling moonroof is fixed and held firm (and quiet) thru'out the trip. The engine definitely responded very well, even had an encounter with a 5 series. The car held its own.
    How did the dealer address the sluggish acceleration? Was it the trans or the engine?
    Yeah, don't leave us hanging on this issue!
    They claimed they did nothing. Ran a computer check and everything was in order. As suggested, I took off at every stop light like a man possesed. Not sure if the adaptive xmission finally kicked in.
  • badtastebadtaste Member Posts: 1
    I just had to put in a new transmission and axle because mine 'broke'. My car only has 62,000 miles on it. I also had to replace the cd player. I have heard there are a lot of problems with this year volvo..After putting over $3000 into it to fix the trans I would really like to hear from other owners what other problems i have to look forward to.
  • pete86pete86 Member Posts: 4
    I owned the dreaded 2000 S80 T6 and had many of the problems mentioned here. After 75,000 miles I traded car for XC90. I like it but miss my S80 which when it was ok was the best car I have owned. I have not read much about problems in 2003 or 2004 models here. Can I assume the 2004 has far fewer issues since there is little complaining here. I may give my wife the Xc90 and trade her cross country for a new S80. Also, anyone aware of sat radio in the XC90.
    No issues w/ either model year. The S80 was fully sorted out after the 2000 model yr.
    Sat radio isn't available on any Volvo, however an aftermarket unit could be installed and play through an FM modulator.
    But they really sound awful, IMO, especially on the base.
    are rumored to come late this year for MY2005 Volvos.

Thanks.
  • plushplush Member Posts: 10
    volvomax or anyone... Any word on the S80 getting the V8 and the 6 sp transmission that the XC90 is getting, and/or getting AWD with a V8 or the T6??
    Not in the current car.
    The new S80 is due in 2006-2007.
    That car will have the new short block I6 and V8 plus AWD.
    The current S80 will muddle along as it is.
    Body style change? Radical, or subtle?
    Return to RWD (hopefully)?
    My understanding is that the platform development is well along.
    I don't think your going to see a radical departure from the current Volvo styling trend.
    Perhaps in the lighting dept, something like what the current Volvo concept cars have.
    The platform is still going to be front wheel drive biased, although the car will certainly be available w/ AWD.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    Stopped by the dealer over the weekend. They said that 2.9 aren't made anymore. The current 2.5T starts around $37-38k without factory incentive. I think that's pretty expensive for the base model =(
    In the S-80? I don't think that's so bad...
  • yydaveyydave Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I am interested in getting a 2004 S80 (US model). I understand that this car has this feature, but it needs to be enabled by the dealer through programming. Is that true? Thanks. David
    Yes, its available.
    Dealer needs to download and install the software.

The 2.9 has been dropped. The 2.5T has taken its place. There are no cash incentives on the 2.5T at htis time.
    Thanks Volvomax.

I have another question. I test-drove the S80 today. When starting on a moderately steep hill, the moment I let go of the brake, the S80 started to roll back, even though I was in D gear. With my current car, the car doesn't do that. On a flat surface, with my foot off the gas and in D gear, the S80 creeps forward, almost not moving. My current car moves a little faster in the same situation. My guess is that the idle RPM on the S80 (I tested two and both are like that) is too low. Is there any adjustment one can make so the car doesn't roll back on hills? Thanks. The salesperson said nothing can be done since everything is controlled by the computer. Was he right?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2004 Survey is posted and ready for your input!
    Is it true that Volvo offers a $1000 discount to repeat buyers? thanks
    I'm surprised the Volvo doesn't have a "hill holder" in their transmission (which I think is built by GM), but I doubt you can adjust the idle speed. It's controlled by the engine computer for smog, fuel economy & overall efficiency, not holding a hill.
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    It is also a safety feature. When you apply the brakes hard enough, the transmission is disengaged, so car will not "creep" forward, but will remain stationary. You need to "rev up" a bit for the transmission to get engaged again.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    Dave, TMV shows there is a factory to buyer discount of $1000. Not sure if this is the same thing??