Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo S80

Comments

• Options
    dolphindolphin Member Posts: 71
    Davant, Just wondering which Volvo dealer you utilize. I am here in the Tampa Bay area and I have suffered with Volvo of Tampa Bay and Robert G Waters in Lakeland.
  • Options
    jcalagazjcalagaz Member Posts: 1
    I have never owned a Volvo and I have heard that the '99 and '00 S80s should be avoided ....any other things to know about the 2001s.....

Any info on reliability or issues would be GREAT.....

Thanks
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    My business partner has an 01 with 70,000 miles. Only repairs have been Air Conditioning, a motor mount, and the famous, wiring harness issues. He counts it an excellent car.
  • Options
    lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    I own 2000 S80 2.9 - 77K in 4 years and enjoy it tremendously.
    No major problems - a couple of bulbs, infamous sub frame bushing a noisy window motor in the driver's door.

All has been fixed under the warranty, in very accommodating manner.

The rest - is a pure enjoyment.
  • Options
    bruces80t6bruces80t6 Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 has now had 2 transmissions in less than 2 years, one under warranty, the other cost me over $4000.00.

Also had to replace rack and pinion on the car less than 40,000 miles out of warranty because of age. Volvo supposely redesigned the part(s) the original estimate $1500 turned into $2700.

I have resently filed suit against Volvo and would like to hear from folks with similar experiences.
  • Options
    I think those are GM transmission in the S-80, which is odd, but true. And, they rarely fail.
  • Options
    It's not too odd. GM transmissions were widly used on BMW in 90th.
  • Options
    BMW transmissions were used in the 80's Peugeots too.
  • Options
    kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    Wow, I didn't know BMW uses GM transmissions! That's news to me. Why? Does GM make good auto parts? How's the GM transmission that Volvo uses in the S80? Are there other major parts in the S80 made by domestic auto?
  • Options
    davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    Dolphin,

Regarding my #1506, (gosh I can't believe somebody read all that) I'm about eight hours NW from you in Fort Walton Beach. Beal Parkway Volvo/Lincoln-Mercury is an outstanding dealership but minuscule compared to any in Tampa and I certainly don't think it's worth the trip unless you have family here. If this were Alabama that'd be a given as it seems they're all related...and are driving with handicapped license plates (redundant, IMHO), LOL. We have family in Daytona and car shopped there too. The tiny Daytona dealer recommended one in Orlando but I've forgotten the name. If you can stand the I-4 trek East maybe they offer a free Disney shuttle, best of luck.
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Rolls Royce also used the Turbo Hydramatic GM tranny.

The reason Volvo used the GM tranny in the S80 is that no one else made a transaxle that would fit in with the straight six.
  • Options
    I used to live in Crestview :) Wonder how it has changed in the past 30 years......
  • Options
    baritone27513baritone27513 Member Posts: 5
    Fascinating...Volvo, owned by Ford, using a GM tranny. Do you know what years and models that applies to?

I have an '04 2.9. I believe the turbo models have a different tranny, but this is one of the smoothest shifting auto trannies I've ever had. (Well, except for my old 1950 Buick Dynaflow that never shifted and got about eight mpg.)

We've had the S80 for five months, and took it on its first road trip (about 400 miles each way) last weekend -- Averaged about 28 mpg between 70-85 mph with air on. The best part was seeing the "Miles to empty" plus the miles already driven hover around 600 total. I filled up at 497, but the car probably has a real life cruising range of about 550 miles or so.

The mileage declined noticeably (no surprise) at higher speeds. But I swear that the car actually got even smoother and quieter over 80 mph!

Another bonus...the ride was quiet enough that we could actually listen to the CDs we brought along without blasting them.

Anyway, after years of driving "sport sedans" with luxury trappings, it's really nice to have a luxury sedan that knows what it wants to be. Sure, the suspension is a little soft. But if I want to feel the road, my other car is a Honda S2000. (Now there's a combination for you!)
  • Options
    volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    Volvomax will know for sure, but I believe they are the same tranny (2.9 & T6), but the T6 has Geartronic (manual shift option). But now that In think of it the 2.5T has a 5 speed that is not GM.

My Volvo knowledge is lacking somewhat since at our dealership I have moved to the GM side of things. But I still keep up w/ Volvo.
  • Options
    The decision to use the GM tranny predates Fords purchase of Volvo. However, there still isn't a tranny that will fit in the space required with the I6 engine.
    The S80 T6 and 2.9 have the same basic tranny, the only difference is the Geartronic feature on the T6.
    The S80 2.5T uses the 5 speed Aisin-Warner gearbox since it is powered by the I5 engine.
    The next S80 will have a new 6 speed geartronic tranny.

European cars are designed to run at higher speeds so its not surprising that the S80's stability increases at higher sppeds.
    I remember feeling very comfortable doing laps @ 130 mph in the rain on Volvo's test track in Sweden!
  • Options
    tsquaretsquare Member Posts: 1
    Dealer is offering 04 S80 2.9L I6 SFI 24V VVT W/16357 miles for $27,645. Silver with TAUPE interiors. Seems like a good price. Of course I will offer 26K. I'm a very first time S80 buyer. Please let me know if you think this is a good price!
  • Options
    eastcareastcar Member Posts: 6
    when brake is pressed, major static and bulb failure light comes on, bulbs ok, seems like a crossed wire? dealer has not been able to fix, any thoughts
  • Options
    Well, since a new 2004 S80 2.9 is at least $34,000
    $26 or $27,000 is a pretty good deal.
  • Options
    klas07klas07 Member Posts: 3

True volvo will soon have a 6spd on the s80 but first they'll have to introduce the new v6. Maby it won't come until the next s80 maby it'll come sooner...
  • Options
    The 6 speed will not arrive on the S80 until 2007.
    Volvo will have a new Inline 6 at the same time.
  • Options
    troctroc Member Posts: 1
    I am a current '98 S90 owner. I've loved this car, but it's time for a new one. I'm considering an '03 S80. However, I've heard that many of the years of S80's were problem plagued. What are any current '03 S80 owner opinions regarding reliability? What's a good price to pay for a fully-loaded '03 w/ low-avg. mileage? Any suggestions on whether or not to purchase extended warranty and how much to pay?
  • Options
    My business partner just traded his 01 S-80 T6 in for an XC-90. I loved his car. I think the 00s and 01s were the most trouble prone, but still weren't a bad car. After that, they're darn good. If you buy an extended warranty, buy one from Volvo, not an aftermarket or internet warranty. I have one, trust me, you'll be disappointed if you do. If you can't get one from Volvo, I wouldn't bother and would just deal with repairs myself.
  • Options
    The 03's ahve been good cars. Good enough for Consumer Reports(gag) to recommend the S80.
    Given the complexity of the S80 an extended service contract is a good idea. Another route would be a Volvo Certified used S80.
  • Options
    dboyddboyd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 s80 that I now have to put a new transmission in. I have had so many problems with this car it isn't funny. 2 throttle bodies, a brake booster, 2 side view mirror and door electric assemblies...I could go on. This is my 4th volvo, but am truely
    re-considering ever getting another one
  • Options
    They got a lot better after the 2000 introduction -
  • Options
    S80 was introduced in 1999, but they have gotten better over the years, just as any other brands.
  • Options
    Ok, 99.....sorry.
  • Options
    rollier1rollier1 Member Posts: 6
    My wife is very rough on front pads. Her 99' 2.9 just turned 47K and the dealer says there are only about 3-4K left. This will be set three. The first set came at 24K. Anyone have any suggestions for metalic or ceramic non OEM pads and the name of a supplier(s) rollier1
  • Options
    S-80's are not known for their friction longevity - your experience is about right from my experience. I'd stay with what the factory calls for.
  • Options
    confuzedconfuzed Member Posts: 5
    on S-80, 2.5T, Crystal Green w/ Taupe leather w/ Premium, Touring & Climate pkgs w/ Xenon headlights, upgraded wheels/tires, and back-up (reverse) sensors. Sales price $34,130 ($8K off MSRP). Good deal, I hope? Will drive from Houston to Austin to pick up on Saturday. I'M SO EXCITED! I hope I love this car, as I plan to drive it 12 years, then give it to my now 4 year old daughter to drive. Sorry - just had to tell somebody!!
  • Options
    That's an awesome car - congratulations!
  • Options
    larryp3larryp3 Member Posts: 20
    OEM pads are cheap compared to the nightmares you can buy with other pads. Warping, loss of hot braking, loss of wet braking, etc., etc. etc.
  • Options
    What he said - I know from experience, is correct.
  • Options
    Max,

Our second OSD European trip for XC90 was such a success, that I am all in anticipation of our next trip 4 years from now, when I more likely will replace my 2000 S80.

Could you shed some light on what is coming as far as the next generation of S80 is concerned?

Is Volvo planning for the significantly updated model between now and 2008?
  • Options
    The next S80 is scheduled(tentatively) for the 2007 model yr.
    Look for the new I6 as well as the new V8, plus AWD in the car.
    There is a picture of the car under a car cover that is floating around the various boards.
    From what I can deciper the design is closer to the new S40, with a little of the V90 concept thrown in. Volvo has been hinting on some new safety technology but nothing concrete.
    Hopefully, the integrated starter/generator will be ready for that car.

As for the current S80, no significant changes are planned.
  • Options
    Thanks, Max
    Can you post a link to one of the sites? I was not lucky to find anything.

V90 concept looks nice, at least as a computer generated image. And I like a new S40 as well. So, it should not be too bad looking. Our family loves the style of the current one. It was a winner in the "looks" area against Lincoln LS and Acura TL 4 years ago.
  • Options
    Edmunds won't allow any such links.
    I have the car cover pic on my computer.
    Email me if you'd like it.

I spoke w/ one of the engineers the other day.
    Apparantly the designer of the new S80 created an in your face knock out of a car. Naturally, the Swedes wanted it toned down. Now, the Swedes are getting some backlash so the design is being reviewed again. They have 10 months to settle on the design in ordwer to launch on time.
  • Options
    Thanks, Max.
    My e-mail is on it's way.

The current S80 was a very bold departure from s70 (though it was actually designed in 1992, when it was too bold for a Volvo). And it was/is a success.

I have a confidence in a sense of style within the current Volvo exterior designer team. The XC90, new S40/V50 - are the good indicators for it.

I am looking forward to the redesigned "grand" Volvo sedan
  • Options
    Actually, the ECC car which the S80 was based on was done in 1989 :)
  • Options
    Max,
    I do not want to be argumentative, but there is quite a few sources, including official Volvo corporate web site, that place an introduction of ECC to Paris Auto Show in 1992. The environmental program was reviewed in 1989, but I would think that it takes some time to actually design a prototype.
  • Options
    linus66linus66 Member Posts: 9
    Just wanted to post the goup on results of recent deal from Volvo in the northeast: S80 2.5T AWD Automatic w/ Metallic paint, Premium & Touring Packages & 17in alloy wheels for $33,700
  • Options
    khoonkhoon Member Posts: 85
    I assume you're refering to a 2004 model. Where in the NE did you make your deal?
  • Options
    linus66linus66 Member Posts: 9
    made in Westport CT- Leveraged the following points
    Began at Invoice
    Premium Pkg rebate- about $2500
    Volvo Dlr Cash/incentive- $2500
    X-plan Adjustment- $500 (this was given, though I was not in XPlan)
    Net was about $5500 under invoice- My final Pkg was AWD, Premium, Touring and 17 inch rims- no Xenons
  • Options
    hiflyerhiflyer Member Posts: 79
    I saw a few weeks ago on this site a $5,000 manufacturer to dealer incentive for the S80. I took particular note that the offer expired sometime next year, which really seemed quite unusual. Now the offer is no longer listed.

Is it still being offered or was its expiration date in error? Such an incentive would really tempt me to pay a little more to get a lot more car like the S80.
  • Options
    hiflyerhiflyer Member Posts: 79
    Looking again at the incentive listing, the $5,000 incentive is still being offered for the base FWD S80, but not for the AWD version that I am interested in.

I read local ads in July touting nearly $8,000 discounts off new 2004 AWD S80s. Did Volvo offer those incentives then for the AWD and I simply missed out on the deal? If not, it would be really interesting to find out how a dealer can still offer such a discount without some hefty cash assistance from the manufacturer.
  • Options
    confuzedconfuzed Member Posts: 5
    I just got $8K discount on my new '04 2.5T NON-AWD. Volvo gave $3K for premium pkg & dealer passed on to me. Also my dealer was overstocked in 2.5T's. Didn't look at AWD, though. This was in Austin & Houston, TX. Houston dealers weren't willing to pass the Volvo $3K on to customers, however! So Austin got my business.
  • Options
    tdogtdog Member Posts: 4
    Hello everyone,

I'm a prospective 2.5T AWD buyer and one of my local dealers is quoting me $34,341 (before any negotiation or trade-in) for one with metallic paint, Premium and Touring packages, about $7-8K under MSRP. Haven't seen it yet and there may be other non-package options on it but I've read many posts here. Seems the 2.5T is the way to go as the 2.9 is on the way out and T6 too pricey for me.

This sounds like a great deal from what I've read but I'm just curious as to what the assembled expertise thinks and whether the turbo lag in the 2.5T is as maddening as some (here and elsewhere) have stated.

Thanks, and have a great weekend!

cheers /td
  • Options
    Have not driven the S80 2.5T, but have S60 2.5T and XC90 2.5T. In both cases, the 2.5T is a fun to drive. IMHO, the turbo lag is maddening only to the people who read about it been maddening, and believing it.

You can quickly and easily adjust you driving style to the degree that you will not even notice the lag.

(Except, if you want to show-off and burn a rubber the very instance you push the accelerator to the floor).

Rather than that - S80 2.5T is a great car. I have 2.9, which is great too, but is more "mellow" of been non-turbo.
  • Options
    heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    I have an opportunity to buy a 2000 S80 T6. Extremely low-mileage car (19K). What should I look out for? I know this model year had problems (ball joints, electrical issues-- what else?), but not as bad as '99.

Any input appreciated.
  • Options
    By now, all the upgrades should be done.
    The ball joints and the suspension bushings were the most maddening things about the 2000 model.
    I'd look into an extended service contract though, just to be safe.