Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• krillkrill Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else had this problem with their 2005 Stow-N-Go Grand Caravan SXT? Check engine light comes on when fuel level is below 1/2 tank and outside temperature is below 40 degrees. When taken to dealer, first step was to put in new Oxygen Sensor. Didn't make it to the end of the dealer's lot before it came on again. After much frustration, and many trips to the dealer, Michigan plant determined it needed a new Powertrain/Transmission Control Module. After talking with service dept., they advised that since we had begun having problems with ours, they now have 2 additional vans waiting for the control modules to be programed and sent from Michigan. Seems that the vehicles are so new that local dealers do not have parts to repair on sight. Our dealer, Kings Dodge in Cincinnati, OH has been very determined to fix the situation to our satisfaction. Apparently, ours was the test vehicle to finding the solution to the problem. All the time, several weeks, no damage was done to the engine, etc., just the inconvenience of taking it back and forth to the dealersip.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Most of the local auto parts stores around here shrink wrap their automotive books. I don't think they mind the casual thumb through as much as the greasy fingerprints left behind.

As an alternative you could ask the counter person to price a timing belt for the van and find out whether it takes a belt or chain that way.

Unless someone here has a '98 and belt/chain experience?

Steve, Host
  • brian wbrian w Member Posts: 2
    The 98 3.0L has a belt. Actually I own 2 of them, and have had the belts changed on both at lower miles, but at $600 a pop I figured it is time to do it my self. I have changed the transmissions in both vans myself and figure the timing belt should be an easier project. I hope to find someone who has already done this, just to get an idea of the time frame. I use the Haynes repair manual for all repairs, including changing the tranny, very good.

Thanks
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    Who said time is relative? I don't know how long it takes. I would just consider replacing associated parts while it's torn apart. Water pump for sure and possibly the belt tensioner also.
  • michaellemichaelle Member Posts: 1
    Our rear door is stuck in the lock position and we can not get it open. and also the check engine soon light is in the on position and they have told us there is nothing wrong. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • sylecsylec Member Posts: 7
    I have found some sort of on board "key-on diagnostics". I'm not sure if this is coming from the on-board computer or what. Does anyone know about this. Here is what I did...

1. Hold down the trip and cancel buttons on the dashboard.

2. turn the key to the "ON" position wait 5sec.(do not start).

3. the mileage will display the trip distance... press the trip button once and a code will start to flash.

My van just flashed 55. On my old Dodge Intrepid this meant it was the end of the diagnostics and no error was found.

Is this the same as the old Dodge code? I doubt it , but if anyone has any ideas please post.

Thanks.
  • melenkomelenko Member Posts: 1
    Hoping someone can help with a weird sound coming from my breaks. As the vehicle travels about 35 MPH and faster there is a clicking sound coming when the break pedal is depressed. The faster you are traveling the quicker the clicking sound. If you depress the parking break just until the ABS trouble light comes on the sound disappears. I have had the vehicle into the dealership here but they are unable to find the problem. No codes or problems with the breaking system come up. the vehicle is a 92 grand caravan AWD.
    I think that whenever you use the parking brake, it will only engage the rear brakes on the vehicle.

Aso, try another dealer or a brake shop that will look at them for free.
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    "As the vehicle travels about 35 MPH and faster there is a clicking sound coming when the break pedal is depressed. The faster you are traveling the quicker the clicking sound."

On some cars some years back,that clicking noise when brake was applied, meant it's time for new brake shoes. Not sure they have them do that now or not.
  • erwinc64erwinc64 Member Posts: 1
    When I try to cold start my 97 Grand Voyager, it doesn't attempt to turn over; no noise, nothing. The electrical system apppears to be working; display is up, lights work, radio works, etc. After a 10 -15 seconds of leaving the battery running, I try again and the car turns over with no problem. While the car is warm, I can start the car without this delay.

Anyone have any ideas of the problem.

Thanks
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Could be your starter is beginning to go out. If you are handy, it is quite easy to replace most starters, however my '96 Caravan starter has not gone out yet, so I haven't looked at it to determine accesibility. Usually there are only a couple of bolts and a couple of wires to disconnect and reconnect.

If it looks easy to do and you are up to it, I would buy a replacement (usually rebuilt) starter at one of the major parts places, like Autozone, Napa or Advance Auto Parts and change it out yourself. That way you are only out the fairly minor cost of the starter than a big bill at a repair shop.
  • buymichiganbuymichigan Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I'm actually writing for my sis who's comp is down at this time. She just bought a 1992 dodge caravan (automatic). She says that sometimes the vehicle will not shift from 2nd to 3rd, and also sometimes it will only go into reverse as well. She says that it doesnt happen all the time, but when it does, if they turn the vehicle off and on 3 times it (resets) itself and works properly again until the next time. I have never heard of anything like this before but she says that a few garages have told her that its either the "brain" OR the "tranny" and theres no way to tell until it actually goes. Does this van have an electronic tranny? Could the brain effect the tranny in this manner, or in anyway for that matter?
    If anyone has any idea of what the problem could be, please write me back and let me know. i would like to help her out as she spent all the money they had on this vehicle and now are afraid to take it anywhere, and I would also like to learn myself what could cause such behavior.
    Thanks much in advance!
    Kevin
    pruett586@comcast.net
    Check in Chrysler minivans transmission problems too; but I wouldn't post your email address in a public forum. You're guaranteed to get lots more spam if you do.

Steve, Host
  • citrus13citrus13 Member Posts: 2
    I'm seriously frustrated... here's the scoop...
    just bought a used 02 Caravan with 90,000km's.. upgraded from our 97(or so i thought)...
    It has a strange front end noise... took to my mechanic and replaced the struts, strut mounts.. was substantially better, but the 'bang' was still there when you went over 'washboard' bumps... seemed like the spider gear inside the rack and pinion was shot, so changed the rack and outer tierod..(all this and this van was just safetied less than 100km's ago)... then took it in for an alignment... this mechanic i know said he can hear the problem (also noticeable when you are in park and you rock the steering wheel side to side), with the stethoscope he told me you can hear it in the rack and in the struts and in the tierods!! The only thing that isn't new are the wheel bearings and ball joints... so he told me to take it back to my shop and take the plugs out of the balljoints and put in a grease nipple and grease the balljoints... well i did this, and now it seems WORSE!!.. yet there doesn't seem to be any 'play' in the ball joints...
    could somebody help me???? Could it be ball joints??? I'm at a loss!!!
    thanks...
  • petesfunhousepetesfunhouse Member Posts: 1
    My wife is just starting to experience similar behaviour on our 98 Caravan. Radio/clock shutting off while driving. She didn't mention the wiper/blower but did mention that the electric door locks wouldn't work when she shut off the vehicle.

I disconnected the negative lead on the battery as mentioned in other threads and this took care of the problems...or so I thought. I took the vehicle in for an electrical diagnostic and they couldn't find anything wrong but now the speedometer won't work. It's going back in for more diagnostics next week.

I'm concerned about the wipers as we live in Michigan and the climate is anything but kind right now.

I'll let you know what we find and please share any solutions you end up with.

Thanks.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Has anyone changed the sway bar links and the sway bar rubber bushings? If they haven't I would do that. In fact that is probably the first thing I would do before getting into more expensive items.
  • daveallyndaveallyn Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2001 Grand Caravan about three weeks ago. two of those weeks it has been in the shop. Two days after getting it home, the speedo started bouncing around, and then pegged itself under the zero. Before I could get it back to the dealer, the Tach started bouncing as well, and I started having shifting problems. I figured it was the speed sensor and took it in. they couldn't find a problem with it so they called Chrysler and were told it was the main computer. they replaced the computer and the speed sensor, drove it 20 miles or so and gave it back. Two days later same thing happened. Took it back in, they replaced the ground wires to the computer and the speed sensor. Got it back three days ago. Now it is happening again. Any thoughts? I'm done with dodge. I'm done with that dealership. PLEASE HELP!!!

dave
  • jjtjjjtj Member Posts: 80
    I have an 03 Dodge GC.. had the clunking noise when going over bumps. Replaced the sway bar links and the problem is gone. You might try that, I think it's a common problem on these vans.
  • flem5669flem5669 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same probleme with my 97 Grand Caravan, for several yeasr now. I am very interested in the answer, how to disable the chime, other than spending sevral hundred dollars.
  • candcfamcandcfam Member Posts: 5
    Hi, we just purchased a '01 Town and Country that is equipped with a power liftgate. It will not open by itself like it is supposed to using any of the buttons; it has to be opened manually. It beeps and clicks, but then nothing. Anyone know what would be wrong with it, and about how much it costs to fix?

TIA!
    Carolyn
  • tnj4ugatnj4uga Member Posts: 1
    I'm searching for a solution to the same problem...Mine will not operate below 50 degrees.

Please let me know if you find an answer and I'll do the same for you!

Good luck!
  • citrus13citrus13 Member Posts: 2
    funny thing.. my mechanic just called today and said that that's the problem.. he disconnected them and took it for a quick drive, and said the noise was gone... gonna have to change them tomorrow... thanks..
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    The rear liftgate will not open from inside unless the van is in park and unlocked.
    Yeah, I read in the manual that the temperature can make it not work... That's not the issue with this one, as it's been in the 70's (odd weather for this time of year), and it won't open.

I will let you know if I find out anything! :-)
    Hi, I'm not sure if you were replying to my post, but if so, we have the van in park and the doors are unlocked (obviously) - that is not the issue. The liftgate beeps and clicks and sounds like it is going to open, but then nothing.....
  • 93doca93doca Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 Dodge Caravan with a 3.3 and recently I've had a problem with the van surgeing while stopped or when it is ideling.
    The check engine light comes on sometimes to.
    When I'm driving along the vehicle power will drop then come back up, check engine light may come on, check gauges light may also come on.
    Originally I was told the EGR valve and O2 sensor needed to be replaced, this didn't help.
    The I was told the Engine Control module needed to be replaced, I did this twice, and it is still doing the same thing. A bit frustrated, three departments and my van is still acting up. I need some advise.
    After replaceing the engine control module, is there anything else i need to do to the module?
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    We have a 2001 GC with the same problem in temperatures below 50 degrees. Was told by the dealer mechanic the lifters on the liftgate are worn. Right now we just deal with it since it's not that big of a deal, but we will have them replaced before the warranty is up. (If the total parts are more then our deductible). In temperatures above 50 degrees, the liftgate works fine. Keep in mind that most, if not all, lifters are gas charged, and when cold the gases inside is cold to which makes it harder for the lifters to open the gate. I beleave the rear hatch weighs a lot.
  • vgerdavevgerdave Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 97 voyager that is doing this. However, I had no idea that their was an alarm system in the van to begin with. Did anyone ever point you to the location of the any engine kill switch??
  • mfulpermfulper Member Posts: 1
    Several days ago I was search about alarm problems, dying batteries, and stalling. My 2000 Caravan has had all these problems. I am on my 3rd battery, my alarm system chirps for no reason or for something as simple as going over a speed bump. A few days ago, it stalled twice while I was driving, not warning...it just died but started right up again.

If any of these sound familiar, have them check the EVS module for a short. That apparently is my problem. The good news is they finally found the problem, the bad news is they say it is not under warranty. I plan to argue that point since my first battery died just about a year to the day that I bought the van. Don't know how much luck I will have. Does anyone know if these are hard to replace?

mfulper
    Sounds like your car is in "limp mode". I did the same thing with my old dodge. I did the "do-it-your-self" fix first, which was to simply replace the trany sensors, mine had two, one is the speed sensor control and the other is the shift sensor. It only cost me $17 for both. You don't have to change out both but I just replaced both cause I figured if one is going out, the other is not far from failing as well.
  • caravanguycaravanguy Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar problem on a 2005 shorw wheelbase caravan. From the day I picked it up sometimes headlights won't come on; sometimes parking lights come on as soon as door is opened, withoput turning the light sawitch. Dealer claims problem is common and have ordered a multiswitch which they say will solve the problem. Switch is backordered though. Let me know if you have solved the problem.
  • vgerdavevgerdave Member Posts: 2
    My 1997 Voyager has a very interesting problem. The van will crank whenever tried but will not start. If you remove and replace one of the battery terminals, then the van starts just fine and you can drive as far as you like. When you turn it off, it won't start again until you remove and replace the battery terminal again. A repair place said it's the fuel pump. I replaced it and the filter and the problem remains.

Please anyone help.
  • md69md69 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2001 Chrysler Town and Country Lxi on January 5 along with an 8 years/100,000 mile certified pre-owned maximum care plan. Has anyone had any experience with this maximum care package or any of the certified pre-owned plans? It now appears from a call to Chrysler that mine actually covers much less than is represented in the brochure. Presently it appears to be more of a sham or scam than a plan.
    What company did you buy it through?
    I think that depends on where you purchased your vechicle and warranty from. We bought a 2001 DGC EX with 37K in September 2003 from a Daimlerchrysler Dealership. We purchased a 3 year/75,000 mile Maximumcare Warranty which is bumper to bumper. (It list every part by name that it covered and not covered). From what I have heard, depending on the year, mileage of the van and how much driving you do per year determines what kind of warranty you qualify for. You have to remember that if you purchase a warranty from any other company other than Daimlerchrysler/Dodge, certain things might not be covered because they are a second party. (Since it wasn't purchased through them). If that is the case, Daimlerchrysler has to approve all warranty work first, before any work can be done. This could mean delays on repairs.
    Long links aren't word wrapping correctly - try this one:

http://tinyurl.com/4elhb

Steve, Host
    I bought it through Chrysler. The following link (supplied by Steve, the Host because the longer link wasn’t word wrapping correctly)

http://tinyurl.com/4elhb

has some info on the plan including the following misleading statement:

Certified Maximum Care - Our "Best" Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle Protection Plan

Pre-Owned Maximum Care builds on the mechanical coverage of Added Care Plus with coverage of all components covered by Certified Added Care Plus PLUS coverage for virtually all additional mechanical components

“If It's Mechanical … It's Covered!”
    I purchased it from a DaimlerChrysler Dealership. More info on it is in msg 2506 above. Did you get a list of every part covered when you bought the warranty or later. I have not received a copy of the specific plan provisions yet.
  • ronrainesronraines Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 plymouth grand voyager. it was running perfect and all of a sudden the engine stops, then after i stop and try to re-start the engine, it does not roll over the engine(acts like the battery is dead but it is NOT the battery).

then after about a 30 minute tow back home, it starts & runs fine. i have a Chiltons book and the starter relay can be shut down by the PCM(computer)so has anybody had this problem or does anybody know what things can shut down the engine while running??? is it most likely a bad PCM???

the previous owner replaced the battery, so it is not the original battery which did cause some problems.
  • cclundbergcclundberg Member Posts: 5
    I haven't had any luck with any other responses...Luckily it hasn't happened recently but another snow storm is coming in Monday and for some reason I seem to only have this problem when there is a large snow storm...I'll keep you updated if I find out anything else..

Thank You!
  • sprspr Member Posts: 1
    I have had a similar experience just recently. At present all of my climate control lights are flashing with no pattern to the flashing.

This occurred after we boosted the car following a dead battery. The battery had never give us trouble before and we noted that no lights had been left on or anything.

We have had occasional problems with left turn signal. It does not work for a while, then you turn off the car and turn it back on and it works.
    If it is working when you start, it usually stays working.

I wonder if all things are related to some kind of common fault?

Did you get any resolution to your flashing light issue you posted in November.

SPR
    At time of purchase, we did receive a list of all parts covered listed buy name and parts not covered. If you would like to know what was not covered, I will let you know after pulling the paper work.
  • ray1945ray1945 Member Posts: 4
    He out there, can anyone tell me if there is more than one fuse box other than the one under the hood? I have no dash lights in cluster, or on a/c controls. 2002 Chrysler Voyager, apppreciate any help I can get from anyone. thanks Ray........
  • fishing1000fishing1000 Member Posts: 38
    I live in houston, texas and therefore the winter is usually mild. Do I still need to change the coolant every 30k miles or so? I looked at the draincock, it's made of plastic so I am afraid that I may break it if I try to open it to drain the coolant. Can I instead unscrew the lower radiator hose instead. Autozone online repair guide says that in order to flush the coolant out of the engine, one needs to open the coolant sensor. Does anyone of you know where it is? Thanks, TP
  • fishing1000fishing1000 Member Posts: 38
    I own a 99 2.4 L caravan. It has 60k miles on it. I would like to replace the drive belts myself. I have read the instructions and it does not appear to be very difficult. I would appreciate it very much if anyone of you guys can share the experience with me. Thanks.
  • musjimmusjim Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking for a regulator for my 2001 Caravan. No one seems to have them. Any suggestions.
  • moondreamer001moondreamer001 Member Posts: 1
    How is this for you I bought in June a brand new 2005 Dodge Caravan SXT model tape/disc player DVD captain chairs 4 and bench seat. Since then it has gone back 4 times for noise engine claimed carbon build up due to pcv valve. Then my front sway bar bushings went along with my passenger side airbag needing to be fully replaced and the sensor. Now my motor ticks hmmm knowing its a lifter they like to tell me well if you cant prove oil changes then we wont cover it. I have never in my life had so many problems with a car. I could of spent 500.00 on a junk box and had less problems with it. I will never buy a chrysler product again. The dealer has it more than me.
  • rustaboutrustabout Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem and haven't found a solution yet but will let you know if I do. Please do likewise. I could not find a fuse in the engine compartment labeled for instrument cluster. I went out when I had to jump start my car.
  • ray1945ray1945 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks alot for the come back, I'm also looking for the problem. If I find what we need I'll let you know. Thanks again Ray
  • caravan93caravan93 Member Posts: 1
    Very sophisticated after-market computer analysis machine shows all sensors ok. Yet, when taking foot off accelerator at cruise speeds, there will be a popping sound near the catalytic converter when the car is again accelerated.

The popping sound in the "cat" is fuel-air mixture igniting because the engine timing wasn't advanced by the computer.

Is the problem a bad computer? If not, what is it?

Thanks