Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S80

Comments

• dolphindolphin Member Posts: 71
    They claim that the engine heat had cracked them...do not know if that was true, but because Volvo has not released the computers to work on these cars, I have only the dealer to go to...
  • mcozmcoz Member Posts: 5
    Sorry for taking so long to reply. It is hard to remember exactly where i am suppose to be in the forum to check my messages. We have the T6 engine. I contacted my salesman who also drives a 04 T6 and he said he get 17 city. That's what we get. We used to get 20 with our 940 turbo. The car is in repair today for bad AM reception, a thumping wooshing sound from under the hood( maybe the struts) and a buzzing noise that seems to be coming from behind the back seats. Guess I should have held onto our 940. Thanks!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    >> It is hard to remember exactly where i am suppose to be in the forum to check my messages.

Try using the Suscribe and Message Center features. The Town Hall Help File on the left side of the page should help you in working with them.

:)
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    Since it has been quite a while ago, I do not remember what my original point was, probably that the new Volvos are not worse than the old ones.
    I am really sorry, that you are not happy with your T6. I have a good time with my 2.9. It makes 20 MPG on mixed driving (bad mix both ways - either city traffic, or freeway stop-n-go, or freeway blast at over 75 - all of these conditions are bad for the mileage). It makes 25-27 MPG on the long leisure highway trips.
    I do not know what a good AM reception should be, but I am pretty content with mine, it drops stations when I am far away from city, and pick - up some noise under the power lines, but I think that is normal.
    And I have had all the common issues for 2000 MY car - sub-frame bushings, etc., but the service department of Calabasas Volvo fixed them all fast and professionally, so I did not feel much of inconvenience.
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    I love my 2000 S80 T-6. It's old and new. I bought it with only 17,000 miles (20,000 now), and just squeaked under the 47-month wire to get the extended VIP warranty. Already used it to replace brake booster, due to bad pedal pressure sensor. $459 part plus four hours of labor at $78.50 per. Love that $100 deductible! At first I figured it was the common ABS module problem, but this surprised even the service manager. He claims this is an unusual repair, even for this car.
  • tmex12tmex12 Member Posts: 15
    I have Volvo S80 2.9. Recently whenever I make a sharp right or left turn an error message shows up on the dashboard:

LOW OIL PRESSURE. STOP & PARK CAR ASAP (paraphrasing)

The Oil can sign also shows up. All this happens in a few seconds.

I have serviced the car as per schedule. Is there something I should be scared of.
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,238
    Sounds like you're low on oil. Have you checked your oil level?
  • sparqsparq Member Posts: 5
    Hello folks,
    Here's my story. With 100k miles on my 2000T6, the transmission is finally gone. When around 90k, I started noticing vibrations during gear change - the transmission "hesitated". The dealer said don't worry about it. It worsened over the time, and now I have big problems with acceleration. It feels like the tranny doesn't transfer the engine power - RPMs go high but there's no acceleration at all. When I release the acc. pedal, it feels like the transmission suddenly "locks" and the car is kicked forward with a mighty hitch, however hitting the accelerator again results in another idle RPMs.

Now the dealer told me that the are some error codes on the transmission, and that a replacement will cost around 4000 USD (which is now about 1/3 of the car value). I've found one 2002 tranny at the aftermarket - it has 18k miles on it and cost will be a fraction of a new part. I just hope it's going to work for me.

Has anyone any experience with installation of used parts; and particularly transmissions?

And, just for curiosity, has anyone experienced same problems like me?

Sparq
    'Used' and 'aftermarket' are not mutually exclusive. If this 18K transmission is a used one from another S80, then I'd go ahead. But if it's used AND an aftermarket (made by another manufacturer), I'd stay away. I've read nothing but bad things from people who have tried to replace S80 trannys with aftermarket--used or not. Also, if you think this car is worth $12,000, you're dreaming. It's a wonderful car, but chronic problems like these have driven re-sale value into the ground. Two months ago I paid $18,500 for a 2000 T-6 with only 17,000 miles on it. If you love this car, then go ahead and fix it properly--but as cheaply as you can. Otherwise, dump it for a newer, more reliable 2002-2004 model.
    Thanks, heywood1. My "new" tranny is an original part from a 2002 S80-T6 that overturned (I saw the car).
    I don't have many options now and have to stay with my baby for some time. Hopefully the tranny is the only bigger investment in the next 12+ months!
    Just a sigh.
    When listening to observations of the mechanic who's replacing the tranny for me (I trust him, he's straight and he has good experience with Volvos), I feel like issuing a chart of most infamous Volvo dealers in New England... I must've been very naive to have regularly serviceed my car at Volvo dealers after the warranty had expired!
    Not sure I understand....How many miles are on the car? Regularly serviced or not, these trannys on the earlier S80's seem to have a spotty record.
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    I'm wondering if a V8 powered AWD S80 Premier/Executive model is in the works. It seems Volvo really needs that to compete in the $40K and up segment. Stretching the car 3 to 4 inches would be a good idea too.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Yes, look for the new S80 sometime in 2006.
    Will be AWD w/ the new V8.
    Is the next gen S80 going to remain on the P2 platform, or do Volvo plan on migrating it to their version of Ford corporate EUCD plaform like the next S60? I would also assume that the 5 and/or 6 cyl. versions of the S80 will still be available in North America.
    The future EUCD platform is defined as a European upper-middle class platform (Ford Mondeo - Contour, Galaxy, new crossover, maybe Jaguar X and Volvo S60/V70) - next step from the current C1 platform. It is not going to be large enough for S80. There are rumors that PAG can built a common platform for Volvo S80 - Jaguar S. This sounds more plausible. However, I would believe that a new S80 will be based on a VCC concept (P2 platform?).

And by the way - C1 is a great platform, definite success in every flavor - Ford, Mazda, Volvo.
  • tulsahogtulsahog Member Posts: 64
    On a 2003 S80 which I bought new 17 months ago, just noticed while cleaning the wheels that there are small pits in the finish. They are very small but would seem to indicate a problem with the plating. They will not rub off. Has anyone had this problem and if so, how did the dealer address it? It has to be a defect in the wheel plating. Since I live in Oklahoma, we do not see as much road salt and chemicals as the northern states.

There also seems to be a lot of brake dust on the wheels only days after cleaning. I have read about this on the board, but having owned only American made cars before, wondered if this indicated excessive pad wear.

Thanks for your help.
    The new S80 platform is done. It is a FWD oriented platform, so Jaguar won't use it.
    The S80's body and styling are being finalized.
    Is there any detailed info on a Web, that I can take a look at?
    No, there was a pic of the car under a cover that was put up on a noted Volvo enthusiast site.
    Whether that is truly the final design is anyone's guess.
    We may be given some info next month @ the XC90 V8 ride and drive.
  • tulsahogtulsahog Member Posts: 64
    Took car to dealer. They said it was brake dust stuck to the wheels. It was on the surface and not pits. Could feel it with finger nail. They cleaned the wheels and removed almost all of the black specks. Said I could use a brush and detergent and "elbow grease" to remove the remainder . They didn't have any other recommendations, but wouldn't a sealer or wax help keep the dust from adhering to the wheel?

I was pleased with the free service which also included a wash job.
    A sealer or wax wouldn't last very long.
    There is no substitute for cleaning your wheels once a week.
    An expensive sloution would be chrome plating your wheels, they are easier to clean and look good too.
  • larryp3larryp3 Member Posts: 20
    I have been using Nu Finish liquid on two sets of alloy wheels. One set is Volvo wheels and the other is Borbet from tire rack. I apply the liquid once a year at snow wheel changeover, with good success. The brake dust comes off all year with a sponge and car soap, and there are no pits or "hard to remove" deposits after years of use. I'm in snow country too so there's lots of salt around.
    Let's not dwell on the replacement for the S-80. The current model will be the last platform not contaminated by Ford bean counters. I'm planning to buy one of the last of the current version before it becomes automotive history--V-8 or not.

Q: What do you call a Jaguar now that they're owned by Ford?

A: A FORD!
  • airborne86airborne86 Member Posts: 2
    While traveling on vacation the holiday weekend i noticed a vibration when i made a left turn or when climbing a hill while going through West Virginia. does this sound like a transmission?????? i did hit a big pot hole and had tires checked for balance and have tested the car with hard accelerations and it does not vibrate...?????????? when taking..
  • cursedbycarscursedbycars Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 s80. I wish I had seen this site before, would love to have known if the throttle cleaning was my problem. Bought it in Novemebr 2002. In shop 9 times in 6 months with power drop off, eventually replaced intake manifold, only slight improvement. Just replaced throttle body, as well as, front sway bars twice, strut mount front drivers, both rear struts, brake booster, sunroof need replacing, bumper loosened off twice, engine mount broke off, and the list goes on.
    Buy another one - only with a death wish. Volvo denied any service bulletins ever issues for any of these problems. Not true.
    I wouldn't be so shortsighted if I were you.

So far, Fords "beancounters" haven't come anywhere near Volvo.
    The new S40 is the first fruit of the Volvo Ford partership and its arguably the best driving and handling Volvo ever.
    Its also cheaper than the 1993 Volvo 240 was in real dollars.
    The current S80 is a nice car, but out of date by modern standards.

I would also direct your attention to the new Jaguar XJ, 100% Jaguar and no skimping from the beancounters.
    Thanks, Max,
    I agree, so far Ford's influence was only for better. I could add that a world awarded roll-over protection system was designed by Ford's affiliate Continental Teves.
    Point taken about the XJ; I'd be proud to own one. But I would direct YOUR attention to the X-type. The dash and switches look like that of any Ford you might rent from Hertz, and is one of many reasons why a $5,000 drop in MSRP was needed to help move these turds.

I have been told that part of the acquisition agreement prohibits Fords from sharing bits with Volvos (I'm paraphrasing) for ten years, but allows the opposite. So if this is true--and when the ten years is up--I believe the bean counters at Ford won't be able to help themselves. They need to make up the losses from Jaguar somewhere.
    I have been told that part of the acquisition agreement prohibits Fords from sharing bits with Volvos (I'm paraphrasing) for ten years, but allows the opposite.

I do not think it is true. The C1 platform (Ford/Mazda/Volvo) is a true shared technology. I just do not believe that Ford will deliberately hurt them self by not trusting the Volvo design team which knows how to build large sedans. So far we can see the opposite - all Ford new large sedans and cross - overs are Volvo-based.
    True. But my point is that I believe no new Volvos will be FORD based for a while, due to contractual obligations. Volvo technology can only help Ford products, not vice-versa.
    I understood your point, but my point was that the Volvo HAS based its newest models S40/V50 on a platform that is shared across three companies - Ford, Mazda and Volvo. That is why I am questioning the rumor.
    The next S60 is to be based on the EUCD platform, an enlarged C1/P1 derivative, the S40, in Europe, is available with the Mazda designed Duratec I4 engine. As far as I recall, the acquisition agreement had more to do with keeping Ford out of Volvo's management and labour practices than stopping technology and parts sharing, technology and parts sharing was one of the reasons for the merger on both sides.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,926
    I'm currently considering replacing my beloved S70 T5. Its been great and I do still love it, but the "luxury" part of it is kind of wearing thin. What I mean to say is that I'd like something a bit quieter and more "solid feeling," if you know what I mean. But, at the same time, I don't want to loose the sportiness I've grown attached to.

So, anyway, I went last night and testdrove an '00 Benz E320, but didn't fall in love like I thought I would. It just didn't feel like a big enough step up from my Volvo to justify taking on payments all over again. So, what I'm here to ask is if anyone can give me an opinion as to the S80 compared to the S60 or even the S70. I've been in the S60 and didn't find it an improvement over the S70, so I think any 60 comments could apply to the 70 as well. Is the 80 a more comfortable and luxurious vehicle? I'd specifically be looking at '00 and '01 T6s. Any thoughts appreciated. I know I could obviously go track one down and give it a spin to see for myself, but if its just going to be a waste of my time, I'd rather not waste it.

Thanks.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I just replaced my '98 S70 GLT (150,000 miles, and which I bought new), with a '00 S80 T-6. The S80 was barely used in the four years the previous owner had it (16,900 miles).

There is a big difference between the two: Increased luxury (the seats are even BETTER than those in the S70), hugely more powerful, not to mention larger and more modern interior.

As you know, the early models have some issues. Because of the low mileage, I was lucky enough to qualify for the Volvo extended warranty--despite the age of the car. I would go for an '02 or '03 T-6--preferably a dealer-certified-used--and not look back. You'll love it.

in my opinion, the S60 was too small to be an adequate replacement to the S70. Besides, EVERYBODY has a Mercedes now. And the ubiquitous late-90's E-series certainly was NOT engineered like no other car in the world.....
    Rob,

Back in late 1999 I have done a pretty serious research that has included test drives for basically all 30 to 40K cars available back then.

My conclusion was that Volvo S80 is the best value (for our family). You will definitely get much more car for your money, compare to Mercedes, BMW and Audi.

Volvo feels more luxurious, spacious and "mellow" (in 2.9 version) than BMW 5 and Mercedes E.

T6 is also fast.

IMHO Volvo lacks a precision handling of BMW, but beats it hands down in quality of ride and interior space. And yet, it is very sure footed and gives you more confidence at high speeds than near luxury Japanese cars - Acura and Lexus.

S80 feels like a tank at cruising speeds.

The seats are extremely comfortable. S80 makes my frequent short to medium range business trips (1 to 3-4 hours) very enjoyable.

The DSTC system is marvelous. Ever since I've got my S80, I have stopped using chains going to the ski resort. I just do not feel that they are required.

I will be honest - I am seriously in love with Volvo, and that is because of S80. In 4 years our family became 100% Volvo family - S80 for me, XC90 for my wife and used 1990 740 for our daughter have replaced Nissan Altima, Mazda MPV and Ford F-150.
    I appreciate the comments, especially coming from those who have had or still have the previous smaller volvos (heywood's S70 and lev's 740).

Actually, heywood, I didn't know about problems with the earlier S80s. Guess I'll have to go back and read more of this particular discussion. I was pretty much set on checking out the '01s due to the low price. But, then again, many folks say our '98 S70s are problematic, and I think its safe to say (with 150k on yours and 100k on mine) that the problems are not as "world-ending" as some people would have you think.

The T6 is supposedly a bit slower than my T5, but a couple tenths of a second doesn't deter me. I am assuming the T6 doesn't have as much turbo lag, so I think the 2 will feel very similar to me.

So, lev, tell me more about the DSTC. Based on your comments, I have to assume this is better than the TRACS on my S70 (which has absolutely no affect since I can spin my wheel pretty much whenever I want [or don't want]).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

The S80 is a significantly more complex car than the S70, and some of the components that are problematic are really expensive. So do your homework--and again, I strongly recommend a certified used one. That being said, my T-6 puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Any Volvo will go for hundreds of thousands of miles. The question is, at what cost? As my brother-in-law says, "Any restaurant is 'all-you-can-eat'-- until you run out of money...."
    A couple words on DSTC. It has two major advantages:

1. It's a full time system, it works even during the braking (unlike many other systems, including TRACS, where they switch to ABS)

2. It has yaw sensor.

DSTC measures the relative rotation of each wheel. but also takes in consideration the input from the accelerator and your steering wheel. In essence, computers understands where and how fast you want to go. At the same time, the yaw sensor measures an actual direction of a car in the horizontal plane. As a result, computer makes everything possible to let you go where you wanted to go by either adjusting amount of torque on driving wheels or amount of braking force on each individual wheel.

The practical result is that the system controls skid by providing just right amount of torque to each wheel, to prevent the lock-up, and controls spin by locking/unlocking particular wheels, pivoting a car counter wise to the original spin, plus providing additional pivoting to ensure that direction in which car is moving corresponds to the input from the steering wheel.

Another major advantage of this system is that you can steer during emergency braking.

This system might not ensure the shortest stopping distance, but allows to be in control and steer to the very moment you stop.

Also, you will find out, to your surprise, that since it controls the braking during the braking, the system will react and apply emergency braking for you in some instances, when it is required to prevent a spin.

The only thing DSTC can not do is to defeat the laws of physics.

You will coast to stop much longer (even if you will coast perfectly straight) on a slippery surface.
    after i asked, i think i remember that you and I talked about this a while back on another Edmunds volvo board. But thanks for the info. Its definitely better than the TRACS system.

OK, so my wife came across a '99 T6 with ULTRA-LOW miles. I'm trying to find posts as to why the '99 is a bad year for these. Any help would be appreciated.

1.Some number of transmissions have been incorrectly installed - you might get one of those.

2. Sub-frame bushing of the earlier production cars had insufficient design, and were replaced later.

3. Several electrical problems were corrected

later.

4. There were some problems with the front suspension, that were corrected later.

I will strongly suggest 2001 or later. My bushings and some parts of suspension (could not remember which, though) were replaced under the warranty. There were several - replace if broken service bulletins issued by Volvo.

But most of the issues were resolved by 2001.

And overall, I am happy with the 2000, but you probably will take more chances with 1999 than with 2001 or later.
    Check the service records. If there aren't any, then run as fast as you can. Problem components include--but are not limited to--ABS module, throttle module, brake booster, ball joints, oxygen sensors, ignition coils, and transmission. Remember, this car has TWO catalytic converters...

If the previous owner was conscientious, many of these items may have been repaired or upgraded under warranty.

And of course this is all mitigated by how cheap you can buy the car. If you can steal it from the seller, then you'll have plenty of money left over for repair issues.

But unless you can absolutely steal this car, I agree that you should consider a 2001 model or later.
    well, lev's post didn't worry me too much (i can handle all that in my garage at home except for the transmission issue which seems to be not too widespread), but heywood's definitely gives me pause. Again, I could still handle most of that stuff, but parts like the ignition coils aren't exactly cheap. And there's that transmission thing again. In any case, I keep telling my wife I want to hold off on the car thing. I just have a hard time thinking of life without my S70. :) Besides, there's nothing currently wrong with it and we really should spend the money on other things. But, we'll see. I've been known to change my mind every 5 minutes on something like this. Thanks for the info, folks.

• patty2patty2 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 1999 S80, at least for a few more days. I need to have the throttle body replaced also, then I'm am driving it to the nearest Toyota or Honda dealer and trading this lemon in. Problems started with this car the day after we drove it brand new off the lot (started but wouldn't move). It is in and out of the shop constantly. I bought an extended warranty from the dealer. Once we made it past the break even point on the warranty, it seems as though nothing is covered, although we were promised by the dealer that "practically everything but routine maintenance would be covered" The car is awful and the dealer is no better.
    did you get that VIP warranty?

When I bought my CPO S70, it came with the VIP warranty. It was useless most of the time. The only thing they fixed under warranty was the leaking oil return line of the turbo, which is a very inexpensive and easy fix, by the way. The failed water temp sender and leaking vacuum line in the intake manifold were both out of my pocket. I still love my car, don't get me wrong, but you'll never find me relying on a VIP warranty again.

My one experience with VIP so far has been positive. Faulty pedal pressure sensor required replacement of the brake booster. $450 part plus four hours of labor were covered-- no questions asked, other than routine call from VIP carrier to confirm date I first noticed the problem.

I believe that belts, hoses, or anything made out of rubber is not covered.
  • dolphindolphin Member Posts: 71
    cover your [non-permissible content removed] and get an extended warranty. US350 for headlight replacement and similarly high-priced parts will eat your lunch. This is a wonderfully comfortable, (I have never had better seats in my life), and powerful car...it is just that it is costly to maintain.
  • kinokino Member Posts: 1
    Due to lots of miles on our A6 AWD and E320 4-matic, we are in market and wondering if we should give S80 AWD a look.

From the Edmunds overview and the postings, It seems that the S80 is a good value, comfortable but will be a bit softer in terms of handling than the Audi in particular. How does S80 behave on winding roads, or emergency maneurvers? Also any experience in comparing Volvo AWD with tried and true Audi in snow and ice?

DSTC equiv comes standard on the other cars, but apparently I can only get it on the 2005 AWD with the "run flat" package, whose tires I am not particularly crazy about (harsh ride). Anybody have experience with handling charactaristics above or experience with run flat or if there is another way to get DSTC (which I consider very important) without getting the run flats package? Thanks!
    DSTC is available as a stand alone option.

The S80 is going to behave more like a Mercedes and less like a BMW or Audi.

The Haldex system is fabulous, much better than the Quattro system. In fact, Audi uses the Haldex system for the TT.
  • badgersbadgers Member Posts: 7
    I'm new to the 1999 S80 T6, but feel like Patty

does.

I picked it up at $38,000 miles for what I think was a fair price: $14,500. I thought at that price I could afford a few bills.

Now at $48,000 miles, My electrical system seems to be acting up: The blinkers don't work, along with the doors and message center. I'm taking it in Monday. Anyone experience this? Should I run back to the Toyota Camry's I was comfortable with?

It's such a great looking, comfortable car, but seeing some of the messages I am wondering if I should just cut my losses now.