Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S80

Comments

• carjarcarjar Member Posts: 2
    This past summer I purchased a 2001 S80. I am so very happy with this car. However, I have gotten stuck in the snow 3 times this winter. I am just wondering, is it better to drive in the "W" mode, or does that cut down on the momentum needed to get unstuck? Please help! Thanks!
  • dmarcus48dmarcus48 Member Posts: 139
    carjar, i believe that the "w" on the transmission, starts the car in a higher gear, thereby giving less torque when starting out. I'm not sure if the car starts in 2nd or 3rd, but i know its not 1st.
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    What type of tires do you have on the car? If you're using (even only partially worn) all-seasons, it won't matter what transmission 'mode' you use. I highly recommend a set of (4) snow tires. I have Dunlop Wintersports on my T-6, and they've performed wonderfully this winter.
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    One piece of advise that might help - make sure that you switch DSTC/STC off, while you are trying to get out of t a snow pile. You might experience a strange situation, when you step on a gas, but your wheels are not spinning and not turning at all. That is a normal behavior for the STC portion of DSTC.

You need to switch it off so you can use the old "rolling" method of getting un-stuck in a deep snow.
  • itrollsitrolls Member Posts: 11
    New 2004 S80 T6 with climate package for 34,000 before tax, license.... It looks like a good deal, but these cars depreciate so fast...what do you guys think?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    i think, yes, they do depreciate fast.

as far as the deal? well, carsdirect says I can get an '05 for only about $3K more. Personally, for that difference, I'd probably opt for a year younger car.

By the way, i read recently on the leasing boards that Volvo is giving dealers $8K cash on 2005 S80 leases that are done through banks other than Volvo financing. I'd look into going that route and then buying the car at lease end. It may very well work out cheaper by taking advantage of that incentive.

I read it here.

And that was in response to message 17836 on that same board.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• itrollsitrolls Member Posts: 11
    what would be the cap cost and the residual purchase price on this deal? (assuming a 3 year lease, 12k/yr) Does this deal require any upfront payment.
    i'm not a dealer, salesperson, or even someone who leases. sorry.
    just trying to pass along some info.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• rautryrautry Member Posts: 1
    Thinking about buying 2000 s80 with 60000 miles anybody got any advice
    search this discussion for "used S80" and you'll see some back and forth with myself and a few S80 owners who were very helpful when I was considering a purchase.

• schnorgschnorg Member Posts: 1
    I have a bad back and drive a lot so I need a better car than what I have now. I have an '88 Volvo 740 and an '04 Volvo XC70, and we really have been very happy with both cars. So, I was very surprised when I started researching the S80s and found evidence of significant reliability issues. Most likely, I'm interested in the 2001 model (cost/age trade off); I don't need a turbo, so that's not a factor. Consumer Reports gives particularly poor ratings for Electrical and Body Integrity. I'm interested to hear what some of you think about this car. Is it solid and reliable like my 17 year old 740, or is it something I might regret?

Thanks!

Andy
    If you are happy with your XC70 you should not worry about S80. The electrical system and a body are very similar if not nearly identical.
    I do not know where does CR get their data on body integrity, but my 2000 S80 is much more solid than any Toyota Camry or Honda Accord after 90K miles. And by 2001 most of the electrical problems have been corrected (though I did not have any).
  • canadiangalcanadiangal Member Posts: 27
    I personlly do not trust comsumer reports. If I really care how many cup holders or how big they are, then maybe I will look at what CR had to say. But I think that their methods of reliability testing are faulty. Base your descisions on what magazines tell you(motor trend, car and driver, road and track, ect...). Or look at forums or online reviews. If CR had it their way, every body would be driving a camry or accord. But thats jsut my 2 cents.
  • tennesseantennessean Member Posts: 2
    Just had the battery and alternator replaced on my 2001 S80, and now the keyless remote, moonroof and security/interiors lights don't work. What happened??
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Car has to be rebooted.
    Lock car w/ remote. Wait 5 sec unlock w/ remote. Everything should work normally.
  • tennesseantennessean Member Posts: 2
    I can't lock car w/ remote ... remote is one of the things that doesn't work now. A dealership said to drive the car for a couple days so it can "relearn/reprogram" but to no good yet. PLEASE keep the ideas coming!
  • patg3patg3 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a 1999 S80 with 31,000 miles that appears to be in very good condition. One problem though it had a check engine light and the owner said that it just came on a couple of days ago. Of course, I took it to my mechanic and he checked out the car but when he hooked it up to his computer the system showed two codes 1171 and 1181, but his software does not tell him what they mean. I would like to avoid taking it to a Volvo dealer and paying a couple hundred dollars just to find out if I should buy the car.
  • edkunkeledkunkel Member Posts: 26
    I am tired of my S80 stereo. Any advice on an aftermarket sound system, perhaps one with navigation and satellite built in that would fit cleanly in the odd shaped opening in the dash?
  • edkunkeledkunkel Member Posts: 26
    Any advice on where to buy carpet mats for an s80? Ones with hold down holes, like the originals --
    Yes, the Volvo Premium auto upgrade with Dolby Pro, which is second only to the Lexus Mark Levinson.
    I'm replying to you again, as my post was deleted for referring you to a website for Volvo owners that would have helped you identify the service codes.

1999 was the first and darkest year for the S80. The major components that are likely to fail are not mileage-related, and they are EXPENSIVE. I'd buy a 2002 model or newer, because this is a wonderful car.
    I've seen several sets on Ebay (I'm looking too), but they all seem to be Black or Charcoal. I need Taupe/Lt. Taupe.
  • compcomp Member Posts: 43
    There are several good parts distributors online that will sell you genuine Volvo parts less than dealer retail. Volvopartspeople.com, myswedishparts.com and autowebaccessories.com all give you options to buy genuine Volvo parts. I've used several and are very happy.
  • tdogtdog Member Posts: 4
    Hello,
    I purchased a 2004 S80 AWD last fall, and now that the weather is getting nicer I enjoy opening the sunroof. However, I have noticed that my sunroof is very temperamental during my a.m. commute.

Specifically, when I try to manipulate the sunroof, the only thing I can do is tilt it (i.e. raise it in back) - can't slide it open. Once tilted, however, I can neither tilt it back to the "flat" position or slide the roof to the open position!

Only after attacking the sunroof button for 10-15 minutes will it allow me to "untilt" the roof or open/close as I please. At first I thought this was some built-in mechanism as I was trying it under 60 degrees F, but this morning it was 62 with no luck. My experiments also show it is not a function of the car warming up, as it happens whether I start battling the button at engine start or 45 minutes into the commute.

Of course, the dealership was unable to reproduce the problem...sigh.

Any suggestions are most welcome - thanks in advance!
  • dolphindolphin Member Posts: 71
    Don't do it! They are :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: RUN AWAY!!!!

They have GREAT seats, but they are money-pits AND their dealships cannot fix them!
    Wow-wow, slow down.

S80 has a lot of great qualities besides the seats, and it is pretty reliable, especially after 2001 MY. You might want to find a better repair shop. I can give you a couple of names in LA area.

I will recommend used S80. My 2000 is 92K miles old and I am palnning to keep it for 3-4 more years and replace with another one in 2008.
  • ketch1ketch1 Member Posts: 2
    Ok guys...I just bought my first Volvo..used 2000 S80. After reading some of these posts, I'm a little freaked out. It seems like when I drive my car for more than 30 minutes, when I go to turn it off, it sounds like a fan is still running under the hood. I really hope this is some sort of cooling fan that cools the engine back down or something. Everything seems to be running fine... HOWEVER, I was on the road the other day, I hit a massive bump and the hard plastic bottom to the car that goes, I believe, underneath the engine (probably there to as a protective shield to rocks..etc) broke off. I picked it up out of the road but have yet to take it in. I'm starting to get nervous about my buy of this car. Someone..please ease my nerves and let me know about the noise under the hood and this plastic covering. I await all responses nervously!
    The cooling fan runs for a minute or two when you turn the engine off. This is pretty much a standard feature on most cars with the independent electric motor drive for the radiator cooling fan. It is perfectly normal.

You will hear another fan inside of a cabin later, when it will become hot. The car cools the interior down, so do not freak out then.

When it comes to the plastic cover - what do you expect? Plastic does break, if you hit it hard...

Stay focused on a comfort of the driver's seat, quality of the ride, etc, and enjoy your new car.

the S80 has pretty low road clearance, and I have developed a habit to slow down before the bumps and dips, so I do not scrape or tear off those underbody covers.

I drive much more boldly over the same spots in my wife's XC90, but it is a totally different story.
  • ketch1ketch1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. One more follow up question.... is this plastic undercover body something I will need to get fixed? I guess what I'm asking is will this keep me from taking road trips, driving around town...etc.?

Again...thanks for the reply lev_b.
    Probably yes, if you'll keep hitting those speed bumps hard... :)
    See if you can re-attach it on your own, I would not do it as a paid service, unless your are planning to use your S80 as an off-road vehicle.
  • hcorrea228hcorrea228 Member Posts: 11
    Purchasing from a “New” Volvo dealer in Chicago. This is an 04 Volvo Certified S80 T6 Premier. Good Condition with 35,000 rounds.... Dealer will take $28,000 plus TTL and doc. Basic Premier, no Upgraded Stereo, Navigation, 4-C Chaises, Fridge, Reverse Assist or Rear Door Sun Blinds. Vehicle will be Certified through Sept 2009. Looking for some advice, Is this a good deal?

2004 Volvo S80 T6 Premier:

Mileage: 35,000

Color: Black / Graphite Leather

Major Options: Xenon Headlamps, Electric Rear Sun Blind, Heated Seats Front and Rear, Radio Single CD-player, Radio / Cassette, Cruise, Power Moon Roof, Homelink, DSTC, Power Seats Driver Memory Seat, Rear Seat Entertainment Center DVD player w/ Wireless Head Phone and Remote; Dual Screen DVD / 64 Channel TV Monitor.

Condition: Good Interior / Exterior

Only Upgrades / Options from Std T6 Premier Package are the Xenon Headlamps

All information, opinions assistance, etc would be much appreciated! Thanks!
    Considering the T6 Premier listed for $48K+, and Kelly Blue Book for this mileage is $30K, I'd say this is a reasonable deal with an extended warranty. If this car and color are your first choice, then go for it. You'll love the comfort and power of this car.
  • sharonpsharonp Member Posts: 1
    The lumbar airbag in the driver's door was deployed when the door was slammed. Now the car won't start. Any advise on what the problem is or where to start looking?

Thanks,
    Sharon
  • cxxviii128cxxviii128 Member Posts: 14
    I have just been informed that replacing a lost ignition key and remote for my 2000 S80 T6 will set me back about $400 - the ultimate in monopoly pricing. There are nearly 100 "Volvo remotes" for sale on eBay, for $15 or so (the dealer wants $120 just for the remote - not including the cost of reprogramming!!). Of course the dealer claims that they can't possibly program any of the remotes I would get from eBay.

Has ANYONE out their lost their keys and found a reasonable way to replace them? Can anyone other than Volvo program a key key and/or remote? HELP!

Thanks in advance -
    Mike
    Dealer is correct, remotes cannot be reprogrammed.
    That is, any P2 chassis car can't. S80, S60 etc.
    Older Volvo's S70's, 850's those remotes can be reused.

Its not a monopoly, just reality.
    Buy a new Lexus and lose the keys and see what happens.
    Heck, in some luxury cars the motor co has to program the keys and remotes, not the dealer.
    So what am I to make then of the (for instance) MyKeyless seller on eBay, who has literally thousands of remotes sold, and dozens (probably more) of sales of Volvo remotes for recent model vehicles. AND they have great feedback: "worked like a charm, works great", etc. etc. They claim even to provide programming instructions with the order.

Are you saying this (and the other, similar sellers on eBay) are all an elaborate scam? Clearly they are selling remotes for S60, S70, S80, etc. and have happy customers.

Confused -
    Mike
    Have you lost both remotes?
    Yup. Long story.
    Well, then....$400 sounds cheap. I was told not to lose both fobs on my new Sienna, as replacement and programming would be $1,200....
    So I guess it's all relative... nice of them to tell you up front, though. I would have put one away for safe keeping instead of letting a certain other person run around with it in her purse...
    Sounds like a scam to me.

The older Volvo's, before 98 can be programmed by the owner.
    Newer ones simply can't.
    Unable to get TV reception through rear seat ent system. Only black/blank screen when TV option is chosen. DVD and AUX channels / reception are just fine.Any idea. Do not have an instruction manual to aid in diagnosing problem. Any hints or ideas? Anyone? Anyone?
    Take it to the dealer, have them make sure that the proper TV box is installed.
    Some of the US models came thru w/ Euro boxes.
    Thanks for the info..going to the dealer at the end of the week.

I have another question regarding the stereo system speaker placements. I have the basic 8 speaker stereo system in my T-6 Pr. Any idea what is underneath the mesh cover in the center of my dashboard? Is the opening there just incase I decide to upgrade?

I assume a center speaker would be place in the dash, but where are 9th and 10th other speakers placed in units with the HU-801 upgraded stereo system.

I'm thinking of upgrading my system, and would prefer to have HU-801 recommended setup if possible
  • voldovoldo Member Posts: 2
    Hi. Just bought a 2004 S80 AWD with 17 K miles, certified. I've paid $25k for it and I think it's a very good deal.
    It does not have DSTC and I hear it is imposible to install it aftermarket. Is that so? Anyone knows about this?
    The center grill is empty.
    The center channel speakers go in there.
    Doesn't the Nav display go in there too? And if yes, how does the Nav system co-exist with the Premium audio? I was always curious about it.
    Easy, 2 different speaker sizes.
    If the car has Nav, it gets smaller center speakers.
  • monitagirlmonitagirl Member Posts: 1
    I want to buy a used car for my sixteen year-old daughter. I'm trying to decide between an S 80 or a Honda Accord. The Accord has a better repair record for all years, but the S 80 is safer. I began looking at 1999 models, and the S 80 has an abysmal record that year. I don't want to spend more than $15,000.

Any advice?
  • dmarcus48dmarcus48 Member Posts: 139
    Get the honda. 1999 or 2000 were terrible years for the s80. A honda would be a much better car for her than the s80. Its not a kids car. You're right about the safety factor though. The volvo is a great car, in later years.