Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S80

Comments

• heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    Avoid OEM Michelins. They're expensive junk. I bought BF Goodrich Traction T/A's for my wife's 2001 T-6, and I've been very pleased. They're highly rated by the Tire Rack, and moderately priced.
  • stef321stef321 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2001 S80 T6 with Factory Orig Michelins. While they lasted very long - well over 80k, they were hard riding and noisy. Went for the Bridgestone Turanzas. Very pleased. Rides like a different car. Much, much smoother and quieter. Very little road noise. Surprise - it seemed to hold the road better too. Very happy with my choice.
  • nicole4nicole4 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at purchasing a used 2000 S80 with 47,000 miles. It is in great condition. I have heard mixed reviews on this Volvo. Please tell me your experiences?
    Spend the extra money needed to get a 2002 or newer Certified Used with an extended warranty. 1999 and 2000 are the 'dark years.'
  • doctordickdoctordick Member Posts: 36
    We picked up my 2004 S80 T6 in Gothenborg last August. A very nice experience. We were given two round trip tickets on SAS and a night at a local hotel. I believe I saved about 4-5K on the purchase. (Note, we upgraded the SAS tickets to business for an even better trip; this was part of a vacation/tour of Russia and a trip to Amsterdam.)

I would say go for it, especially if you can wed the pickup to a European vacation or business. Its my second factory pickup and both went flawlessly.

Good luck!
    Was your $4-5K savings from MSRP, or from 'street price' at the time? Just wondering, because S80's have been heavily discounted for the last couple of years....
  • pullmyfingerpullmyfinger Member Posts: 1
    Hi, i'm looking for information about buying a navigation system for a 1999 Volvo S80, does anyone have any information where i can obtain it? thanks

edit: i need the kind that's NOT a portable GPS system, but rather a navigation system with built-in gyro and can interface with the car's computers etc
  • dmarcus48dmarcus48 Member Posts: 139
    from what i've read, its big bucks ($4000) to do this after the fact. If you really want one, go aftermarket.
  • empty1empty1 Member Posts: 109
    I just purchased a portable Nav (tomtom300) for my 99 s80t6... Using it for a couple of weeks and works great... from what I understand the portable ones (which is nice because you can move it from car to car) work better than the installed version (athough Acura has a nice one from what I hear). Check out tomtom.com (I purchased mine at gpsexplorer.com ...cheapest price $525 after rebate). So far no issues related to inteference with any computers I have on the S80... However I am trading this car in for the new c70 convertible in the spring.. the tom tom will be making the move with me... hope this helps. By the way my S80 was a money pit...hopefully the convertible will be better but somehow I think i should just move back to Japanese cars... :lemon:
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Only the factory system will interface w/ the S80's systems.

Figure on @$4000 for a dealer to put one in.

Aftermarket is your best bet.
  • doctordickdoctordick Member Posts: 36
    I don't know if I can give you an honest answer. You never know how much a car is going to cost except by getting it that way. I don't know if my dealer would have given me as much off if I had pulled out my checkbook and if he had just the car I wanted in stock. I got the car I ordered, with many bells and whistles not usually available "in stock". I am very pleased with the vehicle, its clearly superior to the '99 T6 I had, but its got stuff not available in '99, so again its impossible to honestly compare.

I am not sure I would make the treck to Gottenborg unless I had another reason to go to Europe, but it was surely a nice way to mate the several reasons together.

Again, good luck!
  • ibiza_78ibiza_78 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone and good morning. My current issue, which has brought me to the forum, involves a very uncomfortable noise I am getting while driving the vehicle. It is a constant noise and sounds much like how a dog whistle probably sounds when heard by a dog. It’s driving me nuts but what really has the situation topped with a cherry, is the feedback I am getting from the radio. Feedback that is so intense, the entire car vibrates and my pupils might even dilate from the electrocuting sound; leaving pedestrians, people in nearby cars and any passengers I might have, scared and disoriented. :surprise:

I am definitely taking it into the dealer for a software update. Everything else is working fine; even the Homelink is doing what it is supposed to as is the other operating components. Not sure as to the influencing factor of this issue and thought to post it since nothing I’ve read from other Volvo S80 owners has mentioned this particular problem.

Just to give background, I own the infamous 1999 S80 T6 2.8L wolf in wool, that “bahs” like a sheep and “purrs” like a kitten, and fortunately has given me much better performance and service that others in its class. 2 out of 3 possible recalls have been corrected. My right passenger window regulator jumped its track, which is not covered by warranty since the defective plastic piece holding the part in place is not a “mechanical or electronic moving part.” The funny part “HA HA” :P is that in order to fix it they have to swap out the entire bloody thing at an estimated cost of $600.00. I didn’t like that answer so I told them to give it back. I was able to find a good used part and replaced the bugger myself at a low, low cost of $80.00 and 2 Xanax.

Moreover, I have been less than thrilled by Ford’s “cheaper is better” manufacturing attitude and have had consistent problems with the cheap interior plastic bits breaking or cracking, then breaking.

Okay, well I have said enough. I’ll follow-up with the solution and cause to my problem once resolved.
    The feedback issue is solved by replacing the antenna array.

Also, FYI Ford had nothing to do w/ the design of the S80, it was completed prior to Fords acquisiton of Volvo Cars from AB Volvo.

Blame the Swedes.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Do you know a specific month/date in which this current-gen S80 will end production?
    No I don't(yet).
    I would be surprised if the S80 were produced past Jan 06.
  • dolejhdolejh Member Posts: 3
    Anyone have a good site on how to pull check engine codes and their meanings for the Volv0 S80.

I bought a 1999 Volvo S80 a few months ago and the check engine light is on. It says the Emission System Service Required, and my guess it is the O2 sensor, but I would like to confirm.

JD
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    i know where u might get the info, but I can't tell you since it would be against edmunds policy.

You can also try this site. They have a list of codes, but don't say what models they apply to. Maybe all volvos?
    http://www.volvospeed.com/maintence.htm

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• dolejhdolejh Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the response.... Any idea how to pull the codes?

JD
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Dolejh, ask in the "Check Engine" light discussion. 0patience or someone else who posts there should be able to tell you. Let us know what you find out.
    any idea how to pull the codes? Yes. With a code reader.
    I hear that many chain-type parts stores can do this (pep boys, autozone, etc).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Spy Shots: 2007 Volvo S80

Is a V8 in the immediate future?
  • tulsahogtulsahog Member Posts: 64
    Changed after 16,000 mi and 2 1/2 yrs. Must say it was very dirty and took about 30 minutes to change. Thought dealer price of $80 to change was too high, but now understand the labor part ($40). It will be faster to change next time.

Replaced with WIX 524818 filter, cost $20. Noticed the volvo filter is about 1/4 inch thicker, but the WIX seemed to fit well with no air gaps. Has anyone replaced their filter with this one and if so, has it been ok? A word of caution: Always look at the new filter. First filter I was about to buy at O'reillys auto parts had a torn corner and was greasy. It appeared someone had tried to install it and returned it for a refund.

The two screws on the back of the plastic part holding filter in place were very hard to access. An earlier tip said use an allen wrench. This will work. Another idea which worked well for me was to use a small boxed end wrench on the torx driver insert which happened to be a hex shape. A 5/16 wrench fit and allow turning of the screws in tight quarters. They are about 2 inches from the floor carpet.
  • volrusvolrus Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm looking at buying a 2001 S80 with 79k miles for around 12 - 13k. After reading these boards and doing other research, I don't know if I should or not due to tons of problems with the car. Like I said, it's a 2001 model. Any suggestions?
    If by immediate you mean next year? Yes

The redesigned S80 will use the XC90 V8 driveline.
    There will also be a new I6 @ 230hp as well.

Car is scheduled for US launch in Sept 2006.
    I hope that heavily disguised S80 turns out to be more than just an enlarged S40. Volvo should avoid the trend of one design available in three sizes....
  • nbotelnbotel Member Posts: 1
    Here it is: I parked my dad's S80 in my garage while he was overseas, and the battery died (even though I charged it three weeks ago). The battery is located in the trunk. The trunk is operated electronically from a button on the dash panel. There is no power to the panel because the battery is dead. I don't have the remote for the trunk. There is no keyhole for the trunk. There appears to be no mechanical feature for opening the truck. Can you guess? When the battery dies, you can't get to it.

This is truly diabolical. "Intelligent design" or complete stupidity??? I would opt for the former.

Any suggestions, other than a crowbar, torch or sledge hammer?

Mind sending me an email with your suggestions (other than self-mutilation) at nbotel@hotmail.com

My dad is returning on Friday, so your prompt response will be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Bo
    The jump port for the battery is under the hood. Next to the fuse box. Right side of the engine bay as you are looking at the engine.
    There is a keyhole in the trunk. It is next to the trunk release button. Covered /w a plastic panel w/ a key embossed in it.
    there is no trunk release button on the dash, that is the lockout switch.
    The trunk release button is under the volvo emblem on the trunk itself.
    But you'd have to read the manual to figure that out. ;-)
    Correct. If all else fails, read the owner's manual....
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    My mom has one of these, and I must say that this thing has had more isolated, intermittent electrical glitches than I've seen in a long time. Cruise control won't activate, restart the car and it works fine. Switches on driver's door won't work, wait a couple of days and they're back to normal. Fuel door won't open, restart car and it works fine. The irony of this is that she traded her 1995 960 in on this thing because the 960 began having electrical issues after the warranty expired. Is there something the dealer is overlooking that could be the cause of the above problems?

To add insult to injury, the 960 had more of a solid European feel to it than the S80 does.
  • bigjohn2bigjohn2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Volvo S80 non-turbo and it has developed an oil leak from a line that seems to ge from the engine to the radiator (I guess for oil cooling). The fittings on that line have been tigthened and that fixed it for a while. Then the mechanic changed the PBC "box" that was recommended, and that seem to help. But it is still leaking around a valve in that line.
    Does anyone have a similiar experience? Volvo is saying they have never sold one of the valves (that looks like a tire valve), and the Volvo mechanics say an oil leak here is very unusual.
    Thanks
  • cars4lifecars4life Member Posts: 1
    I've had a '99 S80 from the beginning. I should have listened to my instincts and never bought the first year of a redesign (See consumer reports :cry: on the '99 S80). One of the many problems has been the Check Engine - Emission Service Required. I've had it in about 15 times over the first 5 years to try and get rid of the problem but it just keeps coming back. They've replaced the sensor, gas cap, filters, software and everything else they could think of. Can't get rid of it. I've just learned to live with it. Needless to say repairs have been pretty $$$.

Good luck.
  • s80willies80willie Member Posts: 6
    I haven't been to the forum in quite some time. My 2000 S-80 T6 has ~74,000 miles on it. I did have a strut go bad at 70,000 miles, but so far so good.

Winter is almost here and I figure it's time to replace the battery after 5 years before I have to in the cold. I'm having problems finding a "better" battery that fits. Found a few 1 year replacement batteries and Volvo has a one year for $110 but that seems too much money for the value. Anyone have any experience with battery brands that fit? Thanks
  • 238brian238brian Member Posts: 1
    My wife hit a deer with our 96 850 and I want to replace it without a big car payment. Im concidering a volvo certified 2001 s80 T6 still under warranty because of the $$ compared to new. Can any one please shed some light on the performance and reliability. Her 850 had a mind of its own sometimes, but was a GREAT car. Any advice?

thanks Brian
  • good4u2good4u2 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a lease-return 2001 T6. I had it inspected at a Volvo dealership prior to buying it due to a small oil leak I noticed. Turned out that the oil return line from one of the turbos had a bad gasket, resulting in a slow leak (about $100 to fix). The inspection also showed that it needed to have the rear control arm bushings replaced (about $500) and the oil mist catch box (I don't remember the actual name of this item, but it takes the place of a PVC system) needed to be cleaned out ($600 because the intake manifold has to be removed). I drove the car 1400 miles with no problems. It's very quiet, smooth and stable on the freeway. The seats are the most comfortable I've ever sat in. There's plenty of power from the engine and I couldn't even feel the transmission shift gears. I had no problems figuring out the audio system, which sounds great. Overall, I think it's a great car so far. :D
    Five years and 74,000 miles is a very respectable battery life, so I'd save yourself some time and get another one from Volvo. I bought one from the dealer a few months ago for my 2000 T-6, because I figured the trunk-mounted battery would be hard to find in aftermarket form.
  • pooka1pooka1 Member Posts: 1
    Water has sneaked into the trunk compartment below the luggage area. It as shorted out all circuits resulting in $$repair.

I think I can see where it entered in the extreme left hand corner, rear. But I cannot tell how it found its way.

I have tried to replicate entry with water hose over sunroof, trunk lid, gutters. No luck.

Any experience here?
  • vmajoorvmajoor Member Posts: 1
    did you heard from anyone. I am also looking at this car in Canada
    $23900ca, 3 year bumper to bumper on it
    I had this same problem, although no electrical or other $$$ damage. My spare tire was half-submerged in water. I suspect the water entered either A) through the seam in the outer-most corner of the underbody while driving on wet roads, or B) because the trunk was left in the 'popped open' position when the car was parked outside while it was raining. As a precaution, my dealer filled the underbody seams with some sort of sealant, including the rubber plug which I removed to drain the water. Either way, it's been a year with no problem since....
  • dkillian2003dkillian2003 Member Posts: 2
    it has 2.9 under the S80 on the trunk lid, they sold me this car plus warranty on the premise it was the T6 model. thats what their paperwork said was 2002 S80 T6, and the warranty said w/Turbo. is it actually turbo? thats my question or do i have the base model. the VIN # is ----- YV1TS92D021266539 ---- thanks for any info you could give me, i couldnt find an answer online anywhere. are the base models turbo also? im in the dark here, never owned a volvo or even drove one or anything before.. :confuse:
  • dkillian2003dkillian2003 Member Posts: 2
    2.9L L6 PFI DOHC 24V ..... the vin number pulls up this engine type, can you tell me if its turbo or did they rip me off at dealership? thanks :confuse:
    It is not a turbo.
    It is the normally aspirated 2.9L I6 @ 194 hp.
  • schneidzschneidz Member Posts: 1
    i was about to jump a car but i was nervous about putting the negative (black) jumper cable on the crossbar under my hood. where is the ground terminal for the battery?

(i looked in the index of the manual under battery but couldn't find it.)

thanks,
  • venturerventurer Member Posts: 3
    Oil lamp indicator lights up when the S80 has been warmed up but does not light up when in motion, just when it has come to a stop. [this is not happening at all times] Just had the throttle body changed and was getting a W on the dash board. Had the transmission control module and gear selector panel replaced. Keep checking the oil level but seems to be full-any ideas?
    Don't know about the oil light but the 'W' is the winter mode for the transmission. There's a button on the passenger side of the shifter with a 'w' on it, push it and it'll change back to 'd'. its so that the car starts in 2nd in the snow, giving you less of a chance of spinning the wheels.
    the battery is in the trunk. there's a '+' terminal in the front, you can use any bare metal as a ground. I use the nut on the shock tower.
    could be a couple of things ... but check the easiest first... When is the last time the oil was changed?

If full and changed recently, then I would move on to the oil pressure sender (sensor). If replacing that still doesn't fix your light ... then it may be the oil pump itself.

I haven't had this problem in my volvo, but i did have this very thing in my Alfa, and replacing the pressure sender did the trick.

• sgt37sgt37 Member Posts: 2
    I am the owner of a 1999 Volvo S80 T6, The car has 116,000 miles and has run great up until now, I am having problem with the cars idle. While the vehicle is in park the idle surges from 400 to 1400 RPM. I have already replaced the mass air flow sensor and the alternator neither have corrected the problem. Some one suggested the throttle body, any advice?

Mike C
    Does it do this all the time, or only sometimes?
    Probably need to have the throttle module cleaned.
  • sgt37sgt37 Member Posts: 2
    The car starts fine and runs at an even idle for about ten minutes. Then the idle just starts to surge but it also affects the lights causing them to dim and brighten, thats why i thought it was the alternator