Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S80

Comments

• bummer3bummer3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 s80 t6 with the HU-801 audio system in it and out of no where all my speakers except the dolby surround sound speaker in the dash are out and im smelling a little burnt plastic does anyone have any input about what it could be and where the ampliphier is located in the car.
  • bummer3bummer3 Member Posts: 2
    I also have a little bit of a power loss problem my turbo spools then cuts out 2 or 3 times through one gear i was told that it could be my boost sensor sticking is that possible let me know if any one has any input thanks
  • jnguyjnguy Member Posts: 3
    I reply to replacement of engine mounts under recall. I did not receive any such notice and did not see any posted under NTHSA recalls. I would be very interested in getting this recall information which I think Volvo should fix with their upper and lower engine mounts.. as I myself have had problems. There was a recall for some parts with the fan system which could lead to overheating.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    most of the 5 mph crash testing is done on the rear bumper here in US. lighten up.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It's time to let this go.
  • natehodgynatehodgy Member Posts: 1
    I love it. It looks mint. It has a factory replaced motor. 93,000 on car. 12,000 on motor. Everything works, for now from what i hear. Can you tell me what to watch out for. Know any good links to service manauls or anything would be appreciated. I'm definately keeping it.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    By now, all the upgrades should have been done.
    Jus common things to watch out for, CV joints, bushings, the upper torque mount.
    If it is a turbo, watch out for the rubber seals on the turbo oil lines, they can leak sometimes.
  • bill_lbill_l Member Posts: 38
    I'm thinking to buy an 05' S80 2.5T w/ extended 4yr warranty. I test drove it and found the steering wheel vibrates pretty obviously (seems +/- 1.5mm) when the car is at idle, but nothing can feel when driving even at low speed. Anyone has similar problem? Could it be fixed by dealor and how? Any information will be highly appreciated.
    Sounds like the upper torque mount needs to be replaced.
    Thanks a lot! By the way, Since it is only 2yrs old and has only 35K miles on it, do you have any idea about what could be the root reason that causes upper torque mount needing to be replaced? What could be the worst consequence if not replace it? How much it could cost and could it be covered by the factory warranty?

Thanks a lot again.
    You are looking at the worst consequence right now, vibration.
    The mount exists to quell vibrations,plain and simple.
    Since it is a part that does normally wear out, warranty doesn't cover it.
    If you haven't bought the car yet, I'd have the dealership look into replacing it.
    Thanks. Unfortunately I've paid the deposit since the dealer told me that the vibration is normal though I doubted it. But I can not believe the mount wears out that fast, it has only 35K miles, and can not believe the warranty won't cover it. Wish the dealer could help me. Any other suggestions?

Really appreciate!
    Some vibration is normal.
    But not enough to be apparent through the steering wheel.
    Are you buying the car from a Volvo dealer?
    Honestly I can feel the whole car is shaking, though not sounds that terrible, it's really not a normal vibration. I'm buy from an auto group that service VW, Volve and others. The S80 is at VW.
    Peronslly, I would just bag the car, get my deposit back and move on.
    Go find one at a Volvo dealer that is a CPO car.
    It may cost you a little more, but you will have a Volvo warranty and some piece of mind.
    Thanks a lot for your suggestion and I'll think about it. The car is Volve certified and has a Volve extended 4yrs/100k miles warranty. I've called the sales dealer to ask them to check and replace engine mounts. He said he will do it. I'll check with him again this afternoon and will cancel the deal if they won't fix the problem. By the way, are you thinking the problem won't be fixed thoroughly and will happen again shortly?
    If the S80 is at the VW dealer, then it isn't Volvo Certified.
    It has to be sold at the Volvo dealer.
  • billodbillod Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for the reply. I've been away for a while so I just got your msg. The brakes are mushy all the time. The pads look good and the fluid is all the way up to the top. The pedal travel is 2 inches until engagement of the rotor (is felt). What is a brake booster? Is it a secondary master cylinder? I just have not heard of a brake booster before. Please advise at your convenience. Thanks.
    the brake booster is the cylinder that the fluid resivor is attached to.
    Since the dealor is a group of VW and Volve and others, the S80 is Volve certified. I stopped by this afternoon and found the problem had been fixed by Volve servicemen. They changed the lower mount and the car is now silksmooth. Thanks a lot for your suggestions!! :D
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Have the fluid changed out completely.

This was a service I had to have done every 30k miles on my S70 or the brakes would go soft.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• david3299david3299 Member Posts: 13
    #1063 of 2077 How to turn off Service Reminder light ? by n0v8or Oct 10, 2002 (1:32 pm)
    Reply | E-mail Msg
    The trip meter has 2 modes, T-1 and T-2. You will see a little tiny T-1 or T-2 in the display. To change between modes, press and release the reset button. According to a post on Brickboard, the trip meter must be in T-1 to reset the service reminder.

Also, for 2002 models, the procedure is slightly different: Turn the key to position I.
    Press and HOLD the trip reset button while watching the trip display. When the miles reset to zero, turn the key to position II while holding the trip reset. Continue holding and watch the trip display. When the original mileage display returns, release the trip reset. Turn the key off, then back on and start engine. Service reminder should now be reset
    I recently purchased a 2001 S80 with 125K miles. The dealer had not record indicating a timing belt replacement. There are no indication beneath the hood.
    How can I verify if the car need a new timing belt replacement?
    I have a fault message on my S80: POSITION LIGHT BULB FAILURE. Does anyone know what caused this indication and how to correct the problem.
    I checked all the car bulbs and found none defective
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    I do not think that there is any other way but open the cover and visually inspect it. It is not such a big deal. Any indy mechanic can do it in less than an hour. Ask about it, when you do the next 127.5K maintenance.
    There are TWO position bulbs on each side. Most likely, just one of them is bad.
    I have a 2001 volvo S80. The gas door stays open all the time even if the driver door is lock. I checked the actuator by connecting it to 12 volt dc source and it work fine.
    There seem to be a relay that's responsible for the actuator not to engage.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    this happened to my 2001 S80 a couple of times. the solution was the throttle body software NEEDED to be updated..The update is free because it was a Volvo recall.
    I HAVE A 2001 S80. WHEN IN WINTER MODE BY PRESSING THE "W" BY THE SHIFTER. HOW CAN YOU VERIFY IF THIS MODE IS WORKING 100%?
    First, please don't shout.
    Second, the transmission indicator in the instrument display will show a W instead of D.
    Also, the car feels gutless when accelerating from a standstill.
  • itawesitawes Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket blade that fits. The Volvo dealer charges over $50 for a replacement set and they don't last very long. If not, is there a way to replace the rubber only?
    Every auto parts store carry 2-3 aftermarket brands, however, last time I've checked, even the cheapest one will be around $25-30. The blades are pretty long, and the driver's one is longer than the passenger's
  • doctordickdoctordick Member Posts: 36
    I get mine from IPD in Portland OR. 800-444-6473 or ipdusa.com. Volvo part number 30753270. I had to send them a picture to get the right part first.

I don't remember the cost.

Good luck! rld.
    Was that for a 2005 S80? I called several auto parts stores and emailed some internet sites, but they all said the 2005 has different blades that are only available from the dealer.
    Yes, an '05 model. Mine is a late '04 but has the newer blades which caused some confusion at first. Call IPD with the part number I gave you, and check the price. I don't remember it.

rld.
    Here is on from Trico
    http://www.tricoproducts.com/part_locator/index.cfm?location_id=1&requesttimeout- -=300#apptop

And really, just Google "windshield wiper blades" and you get more results that you ever need.
    Thanks for the info and part number. I called IPD and gave them the part number. You can't do a search on their website by part number but they are revamping their site and should be ready in about a month. The person who answered described the blade with that part number you gave me. Fits the description. They might put a picture on the new website.
    2005 S80 T6 with 15,000 miles. Took it into the dealer three times within the last 2 months for the check engine light. They have still not been able to solve the problem. They are able to clear the light but it is back on again after a couple days of driving. Same dealer who took over a week to solve a power steering problem. There is only one dealer on Oahu so no alternatives other than pay a private mechanic. The car is still under warranty. Anyone else having this peristent problem. I did a search on check engine light and didn't find one that fit this situation.
  • olddkpolddkp Member Posts: 1
    My Wife had a coffee cup stuck under passenger seat it broke the cable for the inner motor,I know the car has (sips) air bags in the side of the seats.so when i disconnect the battery to remove the seat is there anything else i should be concerned about? Radio Etc..? thanks! my 1st post here.
  • elviaelvia Member Posts: 6
    S60 also dies suddenly in middle of drive, did the throttle body software update do the trick? Anyone have this happen on an S60?
    Picked up my new S80 V8 yesterday. Lovely vehicle so far. Still trying to figure out all the differences. Interestingly, even though a V configuration it still is listed as using 7 qts of oil per change. I had thought it might be less because of the fore-aft shortness.

Also came--surprise!-- with run low tires (Pirreli) and no spare, just a 12 volt compresser motor, some sealant, and lots of instructions! Not looking forward to a flat far from AAA.

Will keep you all updated as I experience this lovely beast! Driving down to LA next weekend on I5. That should be fun.

doctor dick.
  • carolf2carolf2 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

I've read through many of your messages in this discussion from the beginning (ok, so I skimmed here and there) and you all seem a good bunch. Thought I'd join in and say hello.

I'm not part of the Volvo family yet, but I'm eyeing a 2004 S80 2.5T. I've posted a specific question in the buying and pricing discussion.

I look forward to reading you all.
    Wow! We drove down to LA and back with the new one, and my goodness what a driving experience.

The BLIS system gives occasional misinformation in our suburban area with curvaceous streets and abundant vegetation. Going around some curves, the warnings light up for no reason. But its really not a bother and they surely are helpful on the freeway.

The new cruise control is a dream! I went through the grapevine setting the system at 75 and it followed at the preset distance (I chose a long interval to begin with) keeping me feeling comfortable, and then speeded up to 75 when traffic cleared up. In one circumstance it even braked the system. A really great system that works smoothly and efficiently. Makes driving on the road a dream!

I was annoyed that the run-flat tires that came as standard equipment were over inflated to 40 lbs each instead of the 36 specified in the manual. I dread getting a flat since replacing the tires after temporary repairs may not be too widely available. (Apparently not all tire stores can fix them.)

The 3 D system also worked very well. Tightening the ride up through the mountains and passes made control very easy, and softening it a bit for long I5 stretches made for a most comfortable ride.

So far, am very pleased with this vehicle at 1100 miles.

Will keep you all abreast of any problems. doctor dick.
  • adelinaadelina Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Volvo S80 that recently experienced "hardships." My daughter dented the rear passenger door and scraped the panel behind it--to the tune of $2000+ to repair! Then I ran over a huge rock and have to replace two tires and a wheel and have the car aligned--$670. The car has 137,280 miles on it. Does anyone know how much life I can reasonably expect out of the car and if it's worth putting all this money into it? As far as we know, it doesn't have any mechanical issues. Thanks! amz
    I have similar dilemma, and I have decided to invest ~ $1000 into my 2000 S80 with 138K miles - re-upholster worn-out driver and front passenger seats and put a new set of tires.
    My daughter goes to Europe for a few years and will take it there with her.
    The car does not have any known mechanical issues as well.

I have read several articles/forum postings on WWW, describing use of S80 as taxi in different European countries, and having them run for 200-300K miles. This is consistent with what we all know about Volvo legendary longevity. Mine runs like a tank... Just my 2C...
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    My son is looking at a 2003 S80 Volvo special edition with 43,000 for $17,990 and ask me to do some research. CR has a black circle for suspension, paint/trim and body integrity on the 03 models. What is the problem with the suspension? Is this an automobile that is going to cause him problems? He just blew the engine on a 2000 Trooper and needs a reliable vehicle!
    You need to ask CR about all those black dots. I am not aware of any real suspension problems even with the earlier model years, and by 2003 Volvo S80 has become very reliable.
    And when it comes to the paint and body integrity - I truly have no idea what they are talking about. You need to see and ride my 2000 S80 with 138K miles on it to understand what I mean. It looks very good, and it still feels solid like a tank.
    But it just my anecdotal evidence.
    Hey, fellow volvophiles, there's a new group on the '07 S 80. See my most recent experience at this site: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.efea048!make=Volvo&model=S80&ed_makeindex=.efea048.

I am more confirmed in my impressiveness with this new vehicle than ever. Great! doctor dick.
  • nautilusnautilus Member Posts: 1
    I live in Nigeria and have fallen in love with the volvo s80. I want to buy a used model from year 2000,hqwever I need unbiased advice before I make a purchase can some one help?
    I have a 2001 Volvo S80. When the brake pedal is press the light located by the back rear widow comes on. However, both the left and right buld located in the lower red lenses does not.
    Both bulbs are in good condition and all fuses are good.
    Is there a brake light module? Please advised