Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S80

Comments

• jean007jean007 Member Posts: 2
    I am contemplating purchasing a 1999 with 114,000. My mechanic says it's in excellent condition. Since I'm a mortgage broker I'm very tight for money and I'm concerned that if it has a problem it will cost me a fortune to fix. Am I better off with a newer Japanese vanilla car? Help!
  • irishcaseyirishcasey Member Posts: 36
    Hi Jean007 (Bond is it?)

I think your concern is spot on if you plan on servicing it at a Volvo dealer. If you have a reasonable private mechanic maybe that's ok.

I bought an 02 S80 T6 about a year ago for my teenage son to drive. I was principally concerned about safety and it has cost alot more than my Honda and Toyota for routine maintenance (which I always have done at a dealer). I took the Volvo in last week for a $65 oil change and walked out paying $374. My next service at 105,750 includes the timing belt and is priced at $1,400.

It is a beautiful car and fun to drive!!

Also, I believe 1999 was the first year so you may want to research that. I recall in my research not wanting to get an S80 1999 or 2000 because I believe there were posts about trans and electric issues.

Hope this helps and again, it's just MHO, but I think your concerns are valid.

Good luck.
  • jean007jean007 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Irish Casey.

Thanks for your very detailed response. (Bond indeed - is my age showing?) I do have a good mechanic. Volvo quoted me $1,200 for a timing belt and 2 mechanics quoted 400 and 500 respectively.

I also have detailed service records and they don't mention electrical issues.

Because of my business I have to drive something semi-respectible and a rust-dripping, exhaust belching junker just won't do.. I also only put about 5-6,000 miles on a car each year.

I'm really torn since I've never purchased a used car before. I really appreciate your feedback, Mr. Irish.

Thanks again
  • doctordickdoctordick Member Posts: 36
    I had a '99 T6 and loved the car. The early ones had transmission problems (due to some bolt holes in the wrong places) that gave them a bad name. However, I found it to be a great car. However, as all newer Volvos it is not cheap to maintain, even if you don't use a dealer. I used a factory trained but non dealer servicing company that I have found very reliable, but the car just is expensive to maintain. I had multiple problems with the mass meter, and before I gave it to my daughter I had about 3000 bucks worth of repairs done. Sadly, though they liked the car it was just too expensive for them so they sold it.
    I have had two S80's since then and they are fine cars with cutting edge safety features for far less than a Mercedes or Beemer with similar features. But all expensive to maintain. My current vehicle is a 2007 V8 which I love. But I can afford the fuel and the maintenance.
    If expensive maintenance is a problem you won't be happy. Otherwise you may love the car as I did.
  • volvos80sadvolvos80sad Member Posts: 1
    1999 S80 has message "Service Ele Power Power Subsystem" Message goes away after about 10 minutes. Drive car about four times, about 2 miles each- no problem. Drive car two more miles and it starts to sputter like no gas (has gas). Engine finally stops and car won't start click, click click sound. Leave car for 2 hrs. won't start when I come back engine won't start click, click, click. Remove battery cover- cables are clean and battery water level ok. Inspect wires to starter and alternator- look ok. Engine starts. Drive about 200 yds. Leave car running in park for about 5 minutes. Try to back out of parking space and no power in reverse (like the throttle cable is broke, if it has on?) Put car in drive and it won't go into gear. Engine still running but no throttle and no transmission activity. All electrical out on dash, power windows out, etc. Turn car off- try to restart- car won't start click, click, click. Is this a problem with alternator, regulator (is there one), battery or ?????? Any help appreciated. THANKS!!!
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Sounds like an issue w/ one or more of the processors. Gonna have to take it to the dealer.
  • unhappy99unhappy99 Member Posts: 17
    Hello,

My S80 displays SERVICE ENGINE REQUIRED light.
    The light has been on and off for about 4 months.
    Anyway, about 3 weeks ago another warning light came on- on the right panel- a little triangle that looks like a brake pedal.
    My mechanic checked it and got a code that determined the O2 Sensor was needed. He replaced it.
    2 days later the SERVICE ENGINE REQUIRED came back on.
    The car shut off suddenly on saturday as I was coming to a stop.
    It restarted immediately but I am nervous about driving it like this.
    Actually, this is the 7th time the car has shut off while I am coming to a stop.
    Does anyone know what may be the problem.
    Thanks very much for any help.

Frank
    My guess would be elctronic throttle module or MAF sensor. Probably need to take the car to a Vovlo dealer. S80's are a little beyond the average mechanic.
  • volvowalt13volvowalt13 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 99 S80t6 with 100K one it. I have had the check engine for months. I went to my local NAPA store and bought one of those hand held testers and run my own codes and turn it off now and then. The cost of the tool is about 60 bucks.
    As far as the triangle lite, mine does that in the winter, when my front tires spin. I think its a traction control sensor.
    Well many thanks to you Volvomax for your help.
    My mechanic says maybe fuel fiter but I think it is something beyond that.
    His computer tester doesnt pick up any codes.
    I may have to take this car to Volvo to get a diagnosis instead of guessing.
    One more thing, could I get the Electronic Throttle Module or MAF sensor to buy online? Thanks.
    Thanks Volvowalt,
    My mechanic's computer doesnt show any codes for this Service Engine Req. red lite. So how would I know what is the problem. The thing is that this car shuts off when I am coming to a stop, did it twice this wknd.
    Thanks.
    Not surprising. Those generic testers are pretty limited. Volvo had to come up an entire computer network to service the S80.
    Let the dealer fix the car.
    There are no generic ETM's or MAF's for that car, so online won't help.
    Plus, IIRC there is software necessary as well.
  • jrmyjrmy Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 Volvo S80 has started to have a problem. The blower fan on the heater / air conditioner will come on after the car is turned off even if the fan is turned down all the way. Anybody else have this issue?
  • mnjaspermnjasper Member Posts: 21
    2007 S80 V-8. Just talked to dealer who told me 30,000 mile maintenance is about $850 and takes all day. I look in the manual and it looks like a pretty routine oil change and inspections of various parts. Does anyone know of major issues that have to be addressed at 30,000?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,927
    Did you ask the dealer how much and how long FOR THOSE ITEMS LISTED IN THE MANUAL? That is key. If you asked "how much for 30k service," then they most likely quoted you the time and money for THE DEALER'S recommended service, not Volvo's.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Man, that sounds WAY high.
    30k isn't that involved for an S80. I'd get a breakdown of what exactly they are doing.
  • tulsahogtulsahog Member Posts: 64
    On an 03 S80 with 42,000 mi, there was a buzzing sound which lasted for about 3-4 minutes after the ignition was turned off. I noticed the coolant fan was not running, as it usually does after stopping. This was after some city driving and the temp gage was showing normal - exactly where it usually runs. I restarted the engine and then turned it off. There was no noise. My first thought was a problem with the fan.

Is there some way I can check for the fan as the problem before taking to the dealer? Maybe unplug the fan and see if the noise stops? The fan turns freely by hand.
    I will talk to my mechanic tomorrow and give you a feedback on that.
    This guy is really good, he fixed a Turbo drain tube leak when no other local mechanics could. Volvo wanted $1800 to fix it. The guy charged me a couple hundred to do it.
  • tulsahogtulsahog Member Posts: 64
    Thanks, unhappy99. This morning I drove the car and verified that the coolant fan is cycling off and on, so at least the fan runs. The temp gage was in the normal position and when turning off the ignition, there was no buzzing sound, unlike yesterday (Also, no buzzing while running). The fan did not run after turning it off, but maybe it didn't need to.
    Not a problem, it is a normal function. It's called afterblow and it is designed to clear out water from the a/c coils. If it bothers you,the dealer can shut it off.
    Hello,

I was driving last night, I made a right turn and the right signal flasher is stuck.
    It doesnt come off. I stopped the car and retried it but same.
    I tried moving it to get the left but nothing, so now only the right is on and it is on all the time. What could be the problem?
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Open the fuses and pull out the stearing col fuse. I think its like 22 and count to 20 and put it back in. Good luck
    Many thanks Volvowalt.
    I will do that and reply.
    'Thanks very much VolvoWalt, I tried your procedure and it worked. Thanks again.
    glad the turn signals were reset!!
  • jd42863jd42863 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 S-80 T6, bought it about 3 yrs ago with 43K it now has 145K. I drive mainly highway miles and do change the oil between 3,000 - 3,500 but that's about all I do unless something happens and I need to fix. I've learned a lot in the past few years about being a Volvo owner
    1. They are expensive to repair & maintain
    2. They like to either blow bulbs or sockets like to loosen
    3. When they run right they are one of the most comfortable cars at higher speeds

Now, when I bring it to the dealer it's an easy $1200 visit so I have learned to do simpler things myself. Recently I replaced the plugs in wires (and found out each plug has it's own coil) with top of the line wires and Bosh Platinum plugs. I has been running fine and actually increased my mileage to about 28 mpg on the hwy.

Last week I drove about 290 miles to my destination got in the next morning and started the car and in the information center it said "Low coolant, stop and check soon". That kind of freaked me out but it appears it was just a little low on coolant, I've checked it all week and it looks fine.
    Now, the real reason for joining - BTW very cool site & forums! Today I was returning from lunch going back home (about 17 miles) and when I started my car first it didn't want to stay running then when it did stay running it would lurch - the tach would go from 1 at idle and drop to 2 lines jump and fall only at idle and my check engine light came on. Driving it was smooth this just occured at idle either in gear or out with or without the a/c on :mad: so I stopped at the only place open on Labor day, Advanced Auto who was kind enough to hook up their diagnostic machine and pulled 2 codes, I didn't write down the codes (I think 1 was 1598 the other might have been 0917 not sure)both fuel richness related. The guy said it could be a plug misfiring a bad wire or the egr valve might have a piece of carbon stuck in it. He cleared the codes and the car is running fine again (for the 1/8 of a mile ride home). I went looking on the internet for where it would be located and haven't found it and don't think it has one just a Mass Fuel Sensor could that be correct?
    My next question: does anyone else have problem with front tires rubbing? I have new tires up front and they are to spec's so I'm not sure if my struts or shocks going bad.

I sure would appreciate and info you might be able to provide!!

Thanks
  • mlubinmlubin Member Posts: 6
    Any ideas of an economical way to purchase a new remote for the door locks/trunk, etc.? We lost one and broke the other and are now relegated to using the key (bigger deal than you'd think bc of the alarm). Thanks for the advice :-)
    Only place to get a new remote is the dealer. Also, remote has to be programmed by the dealer.
  • itawesitawes Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2005 S80 T6 with the original battery. Since the battery is in the trunk, I have not checked it since purchase. FIrst 3years maintenance was included so the dealer may have been checking the battery. Anyone have experience on how long these original batteries last? Should I be changing them out before they die?
    No, dont change it now and dont worry about it.
    An indication of failing battery..eg. hard starts on a cold day or if you need to boost the battery even when the weather is good.
    If the car is starting on the first turn, you battery is good to go.
  • zedsdedzedsded Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I've been experiencing random electrical issues with my '99 S80-T6. First the dipped/low beams would not come on when I started the engine and then would come on within a few minutes of driving. Then they wouldn't come on at all. I even tried swapping the fuse indicated in the manual with a spare to no avail. Since it was raining at the time, I guessed that I had some sort of short that was exacerbated by the moisture in the air, but the same issue occurred days later when it was dry out.

Other random messages received are "Coolant Level Low" which also disappeared after a few minutes and then would appear intermittently. Most recent was a message indicating the failure of my position lights.

The frustrating thing about all of these errors is that they don't last and the time it would take to get the car to the dealer, they would disappear/correct themselves.

I did have my mechanic look for the issue at my last oil change and they said they didn't find anything. I am also concerned that my wire guides/casing in the engine compartment are rather corroded and crumbling at this point.

Any suggestions on what might be causing these random and intermittent issues?

Thanks.
    I cannot comment on any but "Coolant level low" message. I have had this message on both my '04 S 80 and my current '07 S80. Apparently, the fluid level sensor is very sensitive, and a slightly low level gives this reading. Adding a bit of coolant remedies this problem.

The others are beyond my experience and knowledge.

Good luck with the rest. I have to add I love my current car.
  • PearlieMaePearlieMae Member Posts: 2
    I got rid of my S80 after I discovered that the Volvo myth is exactly that, a myth. I just couldn't afford the costs and the unreliability, plus the scarcity of reputable garages. I bought a Ford that works fine and there is a garage in every hamlet. Goodbye FOREVER Volvo! :sick:
  • horseygalhorseygal Member Posts: 6
    I had to have a new battery installed. Now, the odometer reading won't show. Can't find anything in book on how to get it to display. What do we need to do? Thanks for the help!

horseygal
  • coldshot1coldshot1 Member Posts: 2
    2002 Volvo S80 with 73,000 miles: This exact same thing just happened to me. I was doing around 45MPH and the engine died and the message came up with “”engine performance reduced”
    I pulled over and shut it off… waited a few minutes and tried again and it was like nothing ever happened…. Ran fine.
    I was thinking maybe bad gas or clogged fuel injectors?? I was checking the web to look up this message to try to determine root cause…
    If you find out what caused this, I would sure like to know (or maybe its time for a trade in)
    2 possibilities, Electronic throttle malfunction of Mass Airflow Sensor malfunction.
    You should have your dealer look at the data.
  • raythomasraythomas Member Posts: 5
    I'm considering getting a 2010 S80 AWD T6. How reliable are Volvos these days?
    The last Volvo I has was a 850R which aside from the low profile tires blowing out every 5,000 miles it was a very reliable car.

I'm coming from a BMW 528i that has had its share of problems. Stranded me on the road once and some smaller tire/electronic problems.
  • harry28harry28 Member Posts: 29
    I'm at my last month of a 2 year lease 2008 S80. Not a single problem. Ironically I'm looking into leasing a BMW 528i. What year was you BMW that you had the problems with?
  • raythomasraythomas Member Posts: 5
    It's a 2008. 24 month lease and at 6 months old it stranded me on the road when the electronic transmission went out. Something to do with the control board they told me. Also my friend had a 535ix wagon 2007 that the sunroof wouldn't close on 2 different occasions and spent a few days in the shop each time. He now has a Lexus GS but has said the BMW is better driving car.

That said they are running incredible lease deals on the 5 series right now since they are redesigning it for next year. BMW makes the best handling cars in the world. I've own many cars and for a sedan it is an incredible car if you can put up with the quirks.
  • dasa1dasa1 Member Posts: 3
    I love my 09 S80 T6 AWD, been driving it 13,000 miles, tho lately been having a whirring sound in the transmission going up hills, will have it checked out soon. Other than that, it has been great. Previously, I had 07 BMW 525xi for three years, never had a problem, other than tight steering and bumpy ride that led me to choose the S80 this time. No regrets for the ride quality.
  • waustin2waustin2 Member Posts: 15
    I would consider Volvo a reliable car. I have a 2000 S80, 180,000 miles and no major problems to date.
  • coldshot1coldshot1 Member Posts: 2
    The new Volvo warrantee is what could lean you to a new Volvo if the S80 has the coverage.

I just traded in my 2002 S80 for a 2009 C30 T5 and the warrantee covers everything except for gas and tires for 5 years 60,000 miles.
    The one I bought was a loaner and had 4,000 miles but they took off $6000 off the price. This C30 is a fast, great handling little car that is really fun to drive.
    My S80 had some problems in the past but covered with the warrantee… This was my 2nd S80 and for the most part, both very reliable…Gotta love a warrantee!!!
    Also had a 1995 940 Turbo that had 175,000 miles and only replaced the radiator ... Volvo's run forever if you keep the oil changed....
  • mismaloyamismaloya Member Posts: 5
    I drive a 2008 528 with Sports Package- never an issue, handles like a dream, The 5 series is rock solid but the 528 engine is a little timid from a standing start. On the open road the car just eats up the miles. If you drive a lot- I highly recommend any version of it.
  • jimsxnjimsxn Member Posts: 108
    What to look for/be careful about? I come from a generation of owning Japanese cars - the only American car I owned, gave me no end of trouble. I am attracted to Volvo for ride comfort, ease of entry and exit, space (family of four) and a dash of driving fun. Too much to ask? Why do people buy a Volvo nowadays when all cars are equally safe?
    Thanks all. Also, I would not mind somebody trying to knock some sense into me.
  • PearlieMaePearlieMae Member Posts: 2
    I'd sure steer clear of any S 80. My 03 w/ less than 50 k's was nothing but trouble. Stay with the Asian cars! My opinion.
    I have a 1999 S80 T6 with 105K on it. I was in Northern Michigan when my brake booster went bad. I put a used one on and know I have my brake lite on and my ABS lite on. I have the message on "brake failure"

Any thoughts?
    Volvo, like all manufacturers makes occasional lemons. However, as I have said repeatedly, I have been very pleased with all three S 80's I have owned. My current '07 AWD V8 drives like a jewel. Volvos are not cheap to maintain, but I believe most are happy with them.
  • gilchristsgilchrists Member Posts: 1
    I just bought four new 225/50 R17 tires for my daughter's 1999 S80 T6 and they are rubbing on the turns. That is the size tire called out by Volvo for that car (even printed inside the gas cap door). What's up? I can't believe it's a shock / strut issue.
    my s80 has 16 in. tires; I didnt see a requirement for 17in. anywhere.
    What size of tires were on before? You should replace with the exact size.
  • woodinvawoodinva Member Posts: 19
    My 2008 S-80 has 225/50/17 tires on 17 in rims. If your tires are rubbing on turns & its a 1999 and you have never replaced those struts, suggest you look into replacing them . Struts nor shocks ;ast forever at 11 years old I 'd say you got your moneys worth out of them!!!
    :blush:

GLTA