Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S80

Comments

• luxbuyerluxbuyer Member Posts: 6
    Hi all -
    I bought my S80 T6 from Volvo of Richardson, TX. Dealership is great. Problem is I now live in Austin. Volvo of Austin is not so good.

I have 10K miles since nov99 - mostly trouble free. Had the engine mounts changed and the door seal replaced. No other problems till I got the new Steely Dan CD and I started to notice some problems in the stereo.

Seems that during certain bass-heavy, quiet sequences, I hear a crackle in the speakers when I have the Dolby Pro-Logic engaged. I hear it less on 3-chan mode, but I still hear it.

Yes, yes, I checked this against some other CD's and it's still there. Just wanted to see if anyone else had this same experience. Hate to complain about this, but I love my Carlos and Walter and want to hear them sans crackle.

Also started getting some "pops" on the headliner during this latest hot spell (100+ in Austin). Any thoughts from this group on that or is that a Texas-only problem. I was guessing the temp-differential between the roof and the headliner was causing the problem, but who knows.

I'm still in love with my car. Customers and friends are suitably impressed and I'm crazy about the drive/handling/performance of the S80-T6. Made a huge mistake one time and had the car wash place put their idea of "New Car Scent" in my precious vehicle. How stupid was that!

Good luck to all.
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding post #319:

luxbuyer, this crackling Dolby issue has been reported by a few other owners in the past as well. Early on, the repair was thought to be a replacement of the head unit. I'm pretty sure I used to experience this from time to time as well but haven't heard it in a long time now. I wonder if one of the software upgrades during a maintenance visit took care of it? Either way, I hope you can find a sympathetic ear (literally) at your dealer in Austin. If you can duplicate the problem for them then they should be able to tend to it. Back when I experienced this issue I stopped by my local dealer and couldn't duplicate it despite my best efforts.

Good luck.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
  • jefff1jefff1 Member Posts: 5
    Here's a problem I've not seen before on this forum: I cannot open my trunk electronically. The trunk release on my 2000 S-80 T-6 no longer responds to the remote. The doors lock and unlock just fine, but I have to use the key to open the trunk. (I didn't even know there was a place to use a key.) Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm taking the car to the dealer tomorrow. This is a new one for him too.
    You were right. The button on my dash was on. I simply pushed the button and my trunk unlocks from the remote. I'm not sure how it got on in the first place. When my trunk would not open I consulted the owner's manual, which is how I found out about the key. I also pressed the button on the dash, but now that I think about it, I probably pushed it when the motor was off. Anyway, thanks again. I'm interested in hearing what my dealer says when I call him tomorrow to cancel my appointment.
  • cacamiocacamio Member Posts: 8
    I need to get something off of my chest: I'm sorry that Rowland had a bad experience with his S80, and I hope he enjoys his MB. BUT, I think he should reconsider his Volvo bashing campaign. I think it is uncalled for. For grins, I have scanned the Mercedes E class board and found complaints about the power windows, CD player, oil level gauge, chipping paint job, etc. BUT I don't plan to steer my friends away from Mercedes based on that. The S80 is a fine car as is the MB, let's all get along. OMO
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    Re: post 323 - the car was only 50% of the problem - VCNA was the other 50%. Too much to put here but the problem was not fixed over 15 months and as many trips to dealer. Eventually it became my problem not the car, even though I demonstrated it still existed to the technician.

I wanted to stay with the S80, just a different one. This did not happen hence my departure.

Better luck to all those who will stick with it. I for one will not drive a car that is sub-standard, particularly in the price range we are discussing here.

Regards,

JR
  • twindytwindy Member Posts: 18
    I am sorry you are having problems with the dealer in Austin. I have a friend there that bought a used Volvo from them (her mom had a Volvo and loves it), it had problems and the Austin dealer was of no help. Ended us getting out of the car a week later and about $300 out of pocket. I know it is a hassle, but a friend really likes the dealership in San Antonio. I know it is about 65 miles away, but maybe it would be worth taking your car to them and letting them keep it for a few days. Like you< I bought from Volvo of Richardson and so far am very happy with them. Good Luck!
  • gasr3gasr3 Member Posts: 8
    For whatever it's worth, today I went shopping for the best lease deal I could find. I found a 2000 E320 awd for $799/mo. which I understand is a good deal. Next I priced a 2001 S80 T6 with sunroof/leather, cold weather, 4 CD dolby, DSTC and 17" wheels. I was very surprised that the best they could do was $728/mo. Both deals include tax and are for 39 and 36 months respectively. The MB lease deal seems to be relatively great considering the $10K greater MSRP on the E320 4matic and they give you free scheduled maintenance. I like the volvo better but I'm having trouble passing on this.
  • jack130jack130 Member Posts: 9
    Hey, gang! My 2001 T6 reportedly shipped on Aug 20. Someone alluded earlier to a web site to track the vessel. I've not been able to find the URL and would appreciate a reminder. Thanks.
  • ngentotngentot Member Posts: 3
    I had a very weird experience with my S80 that I'd like to share with everyone:

1. I Was driving on the freeway and was exiting to a ramp, where there was a traffic.

2. When slowing down, the following happened:
    a. There was a lot of resistance when hitting the brake.
    b. Have to floor it all the way to slow down and come to a full stop. Even that, the car still "jerking" forward, as if I am stepping on the accelerator and the brake pedal at the same time. At this time, RPM is at about 2000 and the car begin to shake.
    3. Swtich the transmission to "P", but then the RPM goes up to 5000 and the car is shaking even more.
    4. Turn off the engine, then turn it on back, then everythign "seems" normal.

This happened two days ago and the problem had crept up. Now it happened even when I am driving at low speed (on residential area, 20 mph or less). It always happened when I am slowing down to a full stop.

THe car will be take to tbe Dealer in 2 days (closed on Sunday and Labor Day) but I am wondering if anyone experienced or know what would be the cause of this problem. Thanks All!
    I had a very weird experience with my S80 that I'd
    like to share with everyone:

1. I Was driving on the freeway and was exiting to
    a ramp, where there was a traffic light.

2. When slowing down, the following happened:
    a. There was a lot of resistance when hitting the
    brake.
    b. Have to floor it all the way to slow down and
    to come to a full stop. Even that, the car still
    "jerking" forward, as if I am stepping on the
    accelerator and the brake pedal at the same time.
    At this time, RPM is at about 2000 and the car
    begin to shake.
    3. Swtich the transmission to "P", but then the
    RPM goes up to 5000 and the car is shaking even
    more.
    4. Turn off the engine, then turn it on back, then
    everythign "seems" normal.

This happened two days ago and the problem had
    crept up. Now it happened even when I am driving at
    low speed (on residential area, 20 mph or less).
    It always happened when I am slowing down to a full
    stop.

THe car will be take to tbe Dealer in 2 days
    (closed on Sunday and Labor Day) but I am wondering
    if anyone experienced or know what would be the
    cause of this problem. Thanks All!
  • mwjohnson1mwjohnson1 Member Posts: 3
    I recently had the same experience with my old '93 Buick LeSabre. The diagnosis was a sticking throttle position sensor, and the cure was simply to clean it and free it up. It does sound something that shouldn't happen to a nearly new car, but I hope your diagnosis and cure is as simple as mine was.

Mark
  • kjewelkjewel Member Posts: 19
    Been there, done that. It is a temperature differential and I get it on hot days in Atlanta too. It always goes away after a few minutes.
  • croeuxcroeux Member Posts: 1
  • emachineemachine Member Posts: 17
    My t6 shipped the same day as yours. I called my port of destination today(Jacksonville), and they said the car will be unloaded tomorrow Sept. 6. They said allow 2-3 days for customs and another 3-4 to get it to NC.
  • coco2coco2 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the ISO-FIX attachment and safty seats available for 2001 V70 can be used in 2001 S80?

Thanks,

Bravo
    UPDATE: I brought my car to Smythe Volvo in San Jose, CA and after two days, they told me that they could NOT figure out what was the problem so they have to bring in a Volvo rep.

This is sound really bad to me. Now I feel like changing car. If Volvo Co. decided (after the diagnostic or whatever they need to do) to replace my car with a new one, I will ask for the money and I'll buy another one.

What do you think?
    Sure, you will get another car or your money back. You are dreaming - get used to whatever problems you have and learn to live with them. You can sell the car yourself now and avoid months/years of aggravation and consider it a lesson learned the hard way. VCNA will not give you satisfaction.
  • jay_t6jay_t6 Member Posts: 2
    Your dealer sounds high. I've got an 00 T6 with everything you listed plus the security package. 3 years, 50,000 miles and $zero down for $649/mo. Good luck -- I think you'd like the Volvo better.
  • needacarbadlyneedacarbadly Member Posts: 1
    I had a swede-mobile years ago and almost bought a (slightly) used T6. I wondered why it was such a bargain at the local lexus dealer. Thank you Rowlanddj -- after reading these posts, I am certain you saved me years of agony and repair bills. It was a nice car, but who needs these hassles. THANK GOD FOR ROWLAND!!!
    You are welcome - I am glad that I am able to save some other folks the aggravation that I was put through. It is really a shame, but that's the way it goes.

JR
  • luxbuyerluxbuyer Member Posts: 6
    I'll check out the SA Volvo dealership the next time I need servicing - will probably try them when the recall comes around (mid-Sep?).

Hate to bash those guys, but it drives me nuts when ANY dealership spends so much time on "quality audits" instead of focusing on good dealership practices. It's so simple. Take the word "no" out of your vocabulary. When dealing with luxury cars, there can be no other way.

Hello - Volvo dealers, are you listening??
  • jack130jack130 Member Posts: 9
    emachine and Croeux.
    Thanks for you comments. I intend to try both methods.
  • drallenddsdrallendds Member Posts: 1
    Is it just me or did Car and Driver say that the 2001 S80s will be five speeds?
  • coco2coco2 Member Posts: 2
    No 5-speed for 2001.
  • jarchjarch Member Posts: 16
    You know rowlandj, I understand that you no longer have an S80 and you are happy with your new car, a Mercedes. Great. But your personal negative experience with your Volvo is not the only relevant opinion out there either!

What I don't understand is why you are trying to make it sound like the S80 is the worst car on the planet and that anyone who buys one is in for years of headache and trouble (and must be stupid or something). I think you are wrong and I feel I should at least alert other users of this forum that other valid opinions (positive ones) also exist out there.

Personally, I am also baffled as to why rowlandj you must keep posting on this S80 forum and trying to sway people away from buying Volvo cars. Sounds more like a personal vendetta to me...

Anyway - I have a 2000 S80 T6 and I have had a very good experience with it. It isn't perfect, but I don't believe perfection exists anywhere on this planet either. Overall, it is simply the best car I've ever owned and I think its value is GREAT compared to a MB or BMW (I've owned 2 BMWs before).

So others that are new to this forum or are trying to decide on a new S80 (or not), realize that rowlandj's opinion (and mine included) should all be take with a grain of salt. I like my 2000 Volvo S80 T6 very much and want to remind everyone that there are many more happy owners out there (by far) than dissatisfied ones...
  • jmazejmaze Member Posts: 2
    I'm experiencing severe clunking / popping noise upon slow turns on incline or decline. Local Volvo service suspects the car needs a ball joint replacement.

Several posts on this message board mentioned a bushing/O-ring replacement.

What is the difference?

Just curious.
  • tx_behrtx_behr Member Posts: 4
    I gotta agree with JARCH on this one. Seems like
    RowlandJ does indeed have his knickers in a tight
    wad over his ex-S80.

Our S80 T6 has performed wonderfully over the past
    7 months, coming up on the 7500 mile service
    interval.

We've had a few minor factory issues (the Radio/CD
    player required replacing, and 2 interior trim
    pieces needed replacing), and one self-induced
    issue (inadvertently using metallic tint on the
    rear window, mucking with the NAV system); but
    overall - the S80 ranks on par with our vehicles -
    to include our pampered baby - the 2000 MB E55.

So for prospective buyers of the S80 - I'd
    heartily recommended you download all 5 sections of
    the Volvo S80 thread, make a pot of coffee, and
    settle down for some interesting, enlightening,
    helpful, (sometimes bickering, but I scroll past
    those poor souls), and always useful
    tidbits that have come out of this forum.

Rowlandj - pack your bags and move on over to the
    MB forum; you'll be more welcome there - and your
    posts more apt to be taken seriously since you now
    own the E320.

If you were in the Dallas metroplex, I'd welcome a
    cup of coffee and a chance to sit down, away from
    the keyboard to discuss the virtues - good and bad,
    of both the Volvo and MB product.

At any rate folks - enjoy your car - no matter
    what you drive.

Regards,

Phil
  • tx_behrtx_behr Member Posts: 4
    just realized with my last posting I've moved onto a new handle on this forum (to match the license tag of our S80) - TX Behr.

Used to post under philzornes (bland, not original) - now posting under TX_Behr...

Happy Motoring Folks!

Phil
    To those of you who would take the path that says "my car is fine so you should not have a problem" are missing the point of my postings.

Not all car manufacturers make perfect vehicles, however when they make a bad one they should stand up and do the right thing. In my case they didn't, and from what I can tell this is true for many others with this particular model.

I would have been more than happy to take another S-80 since I really did like the car, this option was never available to me. Instead I was treated as if I was the problem by VCNA.

So say what you wish here, I for one will never have anything to do with a company whose support of the top of the line vehicle is as poor as Volvo's.

Happy motoring to the rest of you - whatever vehicle you choose.

JR
  • mkrichmkrich Member Posts: 8
    The problem you describe sounds exactly like a similar experience of mine with the sub-frame bushing. A relatively easy fix, I've lost track of the specifics, but I think I had a 3rd generation bushing replaced at about 3000 miles and have had no hint of any noise since, although I think this didn't work for everyone. I think they are now on to a 4th generation bushing fix which has had even better results.
    Regarding the ball-joint, I have to plead ignorance. I was under the impression that this problem would manifest itself in terms of a steering feel (looseness) rather than noise, but don't know for sure.
    I do know that what you describe sounds exactly like mine, especially if the pop seems to be coming from underneath your left foot position.
    Hope this helps
    Mark
  • disappointed4disappointed4 Member Posts: 4
    The problem you described sounds like the subframe bushing(s). I currently have the same problem with my 1999 S80 with only 2,000 miles on it. The latest series bushings and o-rings DID NOT eliminate the noise problem. The VCNA representative road-tested the vehicle with me and concluded that the noise is still present and that Volvo IS UNABLE TO DO ANYTHING TO CORRECT THE SITUATION. I have requested that VCNA buy-back the vehicle, since it cannot be repaired.

The clunking/popping noise is unacceptable in a car in this price range. I have sent two registered letters to VCNA's new president and CEO, Mark R. LaNeve, which surprisingly, remain unanswered. As others have mentioned in this forum, VCNA's handling of this matter has been most unprofessional. I am surprised by Volvo's total lack of concern for the customer. Volvo needs to do what is right and repurchase or replace cars that they cannot repair. Perhaps the head of Ford's Premier Automotive Group, Dr. Wolfgang Reitzle, would be interested in the the goings-on at Volvo?

Below is a Reuters article that spells out what Reitzle is trying to accomplish with the Premier Automotive group:

Ford to Focus on Luxury Car 'Perfection'

7.55 a.m. ET (1155 GMT) May 26, 1999

DEARBORN &#151; Wolfgang Reitzle, the new head of luxury vehicles at Ford Motor Co., said Tuesday he wanted to create an "obsession for perfection" in the world's No. 2 automaker's four luxury brands.

Reitzle, in his first remarks to U.S. securities analysts and investors since joining Ford in March, said he planned to keep the product and market identities of Lincoln, Jaguar, Volvo and Aston Martin distinct while using common parts among vehicle platforms to hold costs down.

Reitzle, former product development chief of German automaker BMW AG, is group vice president of the newly created Premier Automotive Group. He is one of several high-profile executives brought in to Ford since Jac Nasser took over as chief executive officer Jan. 1.

Nasser has said Ford wants to expand its sales of luxury cars and trucks worldwide to hit 1 million units sometime after 2000. Ford, which purchased the Volvo AB car unit in March, expects to have luxury unit sales of 750,000 by 2000. It had sales of 250,000 in 1998.

Reitzle said he wanted to inject a combination of emotion and engineering skill into all of Ford's luxury brands, creating vehicles that customers immediately recognized as Lincolns or Jaguars, for example. At the same time, he said, building the brands requires continuity and consistency, qualities that allowed BMW to become a dominant player in the luxury segment.

"We will focus on perfection," he said.

In my opinion, the "focus on perfection" regrettably doesn't exist at Volvo.

jmaze, I hope you have better luck than I have had.

Sincerely,

disappointed4
  • dougf2dougf2 Member Posts: 21
    I received my 2000.2 NAV CD a couple of weeks ago too. I'm glad I'm not the only one who picks up on subtleties! I thought new Mr. Navigators's voice was clearer (less crackly) and a little more abrupt (talks faster, like you said, Phil). He's not quite as nice and calming as old Mr. Navigator. Now what about a Mrs. Navigator...?
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding post #352:

doubf2, it's definitely not you. I've got the most recent release in our S80 and the prior release in our V70 and the differences are just as was described here. My wife noticed it first. The newer version can be much more abrupt. I don't mind more terse instructions but it seems like I get less warning of upcoming turns as well.

I too would welcome a female voice although my wife would probably tell you that I wouldn't hear it!

Oh well.

Thanks.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
  • derekchoyderekchoy Member Posts: 36
    I just brought my Volvo S80 2.9 in for the 22.5k service at 19990 miles today. At the same time, I requested that both the ball joint(recall) and the clunking problem be fixed altogether. I've had clunking noise at the very beginning of the ownership(I bought my vehicle in March 99) but it has been very minimal, happening only when I make an abrupt tilting turn, something that I rarely do during normal driving. I've discussed with my service manager at Lawrence Volvo(Walnut Creek, CA) couple of times about the ball joint and we decided to get them done all at the same time. I drove the S80 for about 30 miles after the service and didn't notice any clunking at all, I attempted making turns which usually lead to those noise but I couldn't hear any today. I will do more extensive tests tomorrow but at the time being, I would consider the problem resolved.

This is the 4th Volvo in my family, from the 240, through the 850, 940T to this completely new era of S80, I have to admit that Volvo does not make perfect car, nor does any car manufacturer in the world. VCNA's indifferent response seems to be the cause of grieve to most of the existing or ex-S80 owners here but very luckily my experience has been almost all positive. I am a Mechanical Engineer myself and I certainly can understand that mechanical device have design flaws and sometimes experience unexpected failures, the key to success is to rectify the problems in a timely and professional fashion and to make changes so that the same problem does not occur twice.

I am very happy with my Volvo and after driving a BMW, MB and Audi, I feel that I've made the right choice. Whatever you've got, enjoy the fun of driving!
  • jq3jq3 Member Posts: 52
    I am considering the purchasing a S80. What should I be concerned about before purchasing? The car is a '00 and has ~35.5K on the odo, should I be concerned with this many miles on the odo? I don't think it's "Certified", and if they don't feel it's certifiable, why should I purchase it? The car is on a Volvo dealership's lot.

All opinions are welcomed, in fact, I'd like to have an array of opinions. I've never owned a Volvo before.

Thaxs, Guys/Gals!!
  • fwjfwj Member Posts: 6
    Side note: Thanks broeux for the reply #305 on my mileage question. I still can't get anywhere near what you get.

My Question:
    I plan on getting non-metalic Madico tinting on all but the front window next week. I just wanted to check once more to see if anyone has had ANY radio reception problems with non-metalic tinting (because I REALLY enjoy the reception I'm getting now).

Thanks,
    fwj
  • stevenmeyerstevenmeyer Member Posts: 4
    thundermist

I had a similar experience. When I ordered my S80 T6 and left a deposit, the cold weather package was a standard feature. Nevertheless, I had the salesman specifically list the cold weather package in the list of options included in the negotiated purchase price. By the time I made full payment and/or picked up the S80, the cold weather package had become an option. When I picked up the car, the dealership had already warmed it up; it was a very cold day. I didn't notice the lack of the cold weather package until after stopping for lunch. This really up a damper on the joy I was experiencing upon picking up my first luxury car.

I immediately called the dealer. I was told that the cold weather package was now an option and I had not paid for it, and the salesman had not included that feature when placing the order. My response was that the cold weather package was included in the negotiated purchase price as evidenced by my invoice.The dealership and the national headquarters blamed each other. It took about a month and several rounds of letter-writing including a veiled threat of instituting legal proceedings, before I received satisfaction. I agreed to an upgraded stereo in lieu of the cold weather package.

Bottomline, if your option was explicitly listed on your invoice, you should ultimately prevail. You may want to check your state's law, but as I understand NY's law, the failure to deliver what you paid for is fraud. A veiled threat to bring the matter to the attention of the local consumers affairs office may go a long way.

Other than that, I have been very satisfied with my T6 and luckily have not experienced any of the problems described on this site.

Good luck.
  • pagewilpagewil Member Posts: 2
    My husband and I have just purchased a Volvo S-80, metallic platinum green, and we are picking it up in Gotenborg on November 3. I've read with interest the postings of Broeux and OSD on their trips and appreciated knowing that their experience was good. Because we are traveling in November, we are choosing to go south to Denmark and cross the new bridge to Copenhagen. We are staying at the BW Elite Plaza on 11/2 and was glad to hear that OSD liked it. On the night we return to Gotenborg to fly out in the am on 11/7, which hotel is best to say at -- it sounded like Broeus stayed at the SAS, would you recommend that. Also, if OSD (or anyoneelse) has any hotel ideas or "must sees" on the route to/from Copenhagen, please let me know. We can't wait for our trip -- just hope this gas "crisis" in England and Brussels doesn't affect petrol in Sweden and Denmark in November!
  • scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    Here's what my dealer wrote me..

I believe the recall is on early vin numbers from 1999 model cars.

I will have (Name) the volvo service manager give you a call or you can check with your service advisor. Call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx if you can't get through.

My question is this.. does anyone know if the recall applies to 2000 models also.. I have a 2000 T6.

Thanks

Scott
  • ngocquanngocquan Member Posts: 1
    I am so glad I got rid of my S80.
    I had it for 6 months and I only took it to
    the shop for 7 times.
    Some problems can not be fixed by the dealer.

Steve Olson, California
  • emachineemachine Member Posts: 17
    Congrats!

You will enjoy the OSD program. The Elite Plaza is a great hotel. My wife and I stayed there the night we picked up the car(on Volvo) and the night before we flew out. They have a very good breakfast too. The airport is a good ways from the city, so I am not sure that staying at a different hotel will save you much time.

We went straight to Copenhagen, so cannot comment on a good place to stop. Be sure you get a hotel in Copenhagen that has parking! Many hotels in the city center do not have them, and the ones that do have small spaces. The S80 is almost too big for some of them.

Have a great trip.
  • javaseajavasea Member Posts: 11
    The recall is for 99 and 00 models. Call VCNA with your VIN and they will punch it in and tell you if you are part of the recall. Some earlier posts have included the newspaper articles on this. They all say 99 and 00 S80s and some early 2001 V70s.

I would like the folks who will pick up their new s80 osd in Nov. to tell us if they got any discounts in addition to the standard OSD price break. I got a $500 coupon discount when I got mine in Oct. 99. Thanks.

Javasea
    I have a 2000 S-80, T-6 which I purchased in November 1999. I haven't received my recall notice yet, but my dealer called to say he had the parts and wanted to get started. He finished the job in fifty minutes, including a car wash.
  • twindytwindy Member Posts: 18
    Hi!
    I also use Volvo of Richardson. My car was in last week (picked up on the 8th) and when I asked them about the recall they replied that they didn't have much info. on it yet. When did you talk to them?
    Thaks!
  • wcsmithwcsmith Member Posts: 4
    I am very close (most likely tomorrow (Saturday))to buying a 2000 2.9, but I am faced with a choice of a new car and a service loaner with about 7,000 miles. The service loaner has the cold and warm weather packages and the premium sound system with 4-cd changer. Price difference is negligible. Any thoughts on whether the additional amenities on the service loaner would make up for the miles already on the car? I currently drive an Expedition, and I love having a six-cd changer in the console.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • theresa11theresa11 Member Posts: 58
    I looked a a new '00 S70 vs a loaner S70 and was told by the dealer that Volvo gives the dealership approx. $1 per mile up to $6000 toward the loaners. The dealer has the option as to whether they want to pass the savings on to the customer. I was also told that Volvo might change that policy down the line. When all was said and done, a new, un-driven car cost me an additional $1600. At least I knew that I would have a full warranty and would be the one to break in the engine. I was able to negotiate a few free options/accessories on the new car because it was more beneficial for the dealer to sell a new car vs getting rid of a loaner. Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • wcsmithwcsmith Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info. I'm headed off to the dealer in a couple of hours to see if I can't get a few more dollars off the price. I had one question about your post, however. I may be naive, but why is it more beneficial to the dealer to sell a new car vs. selling a loaner? Is it just that the dealer is able to charge more for a new car? If so, it would seem that the $1 per mile reimbursement would go a long way towards making up for any difference. I'd love to hear from you if your online this morning. Thanks again for the help.
  • jarchjarch Member Posts: 16
    Rollie and dougf2 - you wrote:

"I received my 2000.2 NAV CD a couple of weeks ago
    too..."

What is the 2000.2 NAV CD? I have a Nav System and have not received any updates from NavTech or Volvo... did you get this for free from Volvo or did you guys have to pay for a new CD from NavTech?
  • broeuxbroeux Member Posts: 46
    Page, I am not sure there are any good hotels out in the area of Landvetter Airport. I think the better places, maybe the only ones, are in Göteborg. The first night there we stayed, at Volvo expense, at the SAS Scandinavia, across from the rail station--a very fine hotel, that may still be listed in some guides as a Sheraton. The buffet breakfast there was superb, the best we encountered in our travels. Just call Radisson's U.S. toll-free number for information.

After touring southern Sweden and up to Stockholm and back down to Göteborg by way of Jönköping, we chose the Radisson SAS Park Avenue for our last night, just to see a different part of the city. It was nice but not as luxurious as the Scandinavia.

The trip from any of the good hotels to Landvetter will take about 30 minutes, assuming no unforseen problems--moderate or possibly heavy snow (improbable) is not likely to be a "problem," as all the taxis and "limos" around town are Volvos, many S80's, with traction control and experienced drivers. (If you get in a silver S80 2.9 driven by a guy who migrated from Turkey, is driving like Mario Andreti and talking about how he wishes he had a T6, give an extra tug on the seatbelt and brace yourself for an "interesting" ride!)

Our flight out the next morning was about 6:30 AM, and to be on the safe side we had the hotel arrange a taxi pick-up at 4 AM--we wanted time to turn in our tax-free vouchers for a refund (as it turned out, the refund counter wasn't even open until 6:00, and we felt a bit rushed to get to the gate for departure).

Note: Volvo told us they provide 2 ground transports: from airport, then back to the airport. In fact, we had them take us from the airport to the Scandinavia; the next morning we called them to take us from hotel to factory; and on dropping the car off, they took us to the Park Ave. We could have had them take us to the airport for the flight out, I think, but we felt we should not risk them getting a driver to our hotel at that hour and to the airport on time. We had the hotel arrange for a taxi (driven by a Hungarian, very pleasant and spoke excellent English). There was a light snow on the way to the airport. Got there at 4:30, had a light breakfast, waited over an hour for the departure. But, better early than late.

Generally the weather from Gothenburg south should not be too cold or snowy in early Nov., though one never knows. We drove all day in light to moderate snow from Växjö to Kalmar in mid-Nov.--with numerous side trips on back roads along the way--but the DSTC kicked in instantly every time the car began to slide the least, and put us readily back on course. And we also drove in snow from Jönköping back to Göteborg.

Well, I could go on, but at the risk of boring everyone else here. If you have any other questions I can help you with, feel free to email me at mrtsix@hotmail.com.

Broeux